Bought a second hand one - love it!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2016

We bought a 2014 V3 sexond hand for $4K from an old couple. Came with the awning and heaps of poles, pegs, etc. We love it, the trailer is gal dipped and hasn't fallen apart. I expected being chinese that it would disintegrate in the driveway (i can re weld if need be), anyway, i have added a battery, mains power, solar setup. It tows easily behind a santa fe 2.2 diesel, brakes evenly, and handles well. Can't complain about it.

For the price how can you lose

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2016

No leaksthrough the canvas and we have sat in tropical storms for 2 weeks. Easy as crap to put up and take down. Have used rear room and front awning, no problems. No dust intrusion, anywhere. Stable as in any weather. Tows behind my Patrol like it isn't there, brakes as straight as a die.have removed the jerrican and gas tank carrier. Have done a lot of far west QLD to the gulf off road about 12000 k not a worry. Wish it had come with a jack. Wife likes the bed set up. Good ventilation. Kitchen set up is crap, we have reworked it, not a lot of money to fix, but just annoying.

• 20 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
  • 5 helpful votes

Worst Decision Ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2015

Having bought a V3 camper, secondhand, and supposedly still under warranty, with the optional independent suspension, it appears the optional suspension is somewhat of an after thought. The tent (which is obviously designed for the standard suspension) is now about about 100mm too short. Now, when erected there is a large fold or crease across the zippers on both doors, this renders the whole unit pretty much unusable. MDC response to this problem is to replace the tent at my expense. Well done MDC. Never again!

Brisbane

• 2 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Good bang for buck.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2015

Purchased the V4 model in November, with larger tent at Camping show on Sunshine Coast. So we had the opportunity to research a lot of Camper Trailers. So far very happy with the MDC camper. First setup took well over an hour - HOWEVER I have put this down to a few things 1) forgot to take the pole instructions 2) I added the annexe roof and tropical roof on which now stays on permanently and packs away. 3) It was 41 degrees that day!!!

I timed my second solo setup ,and with a routine in place have got a full setup including annex roof (
minus walls and floor) with a cold drink in hand within 30 minutes. With the missus helping it would easily be under a half hour setup. Solo pack up - wheels rolling in about 30 minutes. Plenty of room inside for my 2 kids to sleep and luggage etc without being cramped. Plenty of ventilation with large windows. Tool box at front has plenty of space. I did have a broken toolbox handle within the first 6 weeks, however the company got back to me within 24 hours (during holiday period) and booked in for repair under warranty without hassle, so good customer service here.

My only negative feedback I have is ....I have noticed small spots of surface rust around crevices underneath the camper where the trailer frame has been welded to the trailer box, suggesting bare metal where the welds finish. Would like to have seen these areas painted/rust treated a little better after the trailer has been welded together. To be fair, stone chips/exposed metal will happen when going off road, but I would like to see this finished better off the showroom floor. I would suggest that anyone who purchases this model gets under the trailer with some Lanotec or something similar before venturing on sand mud etc ....for piece of mind.

Tows behind our Suzuki GV 2.7 V6 no problems. Plenty of room in the trailer box for all gear. Overall I would say - expect the first setup to be tricky, but once you have your own routine in place, it's a snap to setup. I would highly recommend this trailer to any one on a budget looking for 'bang for your buck'.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 11 helpful votes

Perfect Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2014

I recently purchased a MDC step through from Steve in Sydney and couldn't be happier with the service I received from them. Addressed every question I had and found them a pleasure to deal with. If your looking for a camper trailer I highly recommend MDC campers.
M Whit

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

MDC off road trailer worthless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2014

Bought ex demo dont know what to do with it straps holding bag to trailer rotten poles missing after 4 times tryed to get replaced finally wife picked them up and one broken ,cant buy extra room as advertised youd have to be a fool to deal with these people

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

No way you can put this tent up by yourself.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2014

We have the newest model and there is no way you can put this tent up by yourself. And not to mention how difficult it is to attach the annex. My niece has the older model and yes, it is easy to do by yourself but this one, no way. It is so difficult to construct that it when it rains you will be in trouble, leaks everywhere. Very hard with a young family as you can't take the kids to the park or pool because hubby needs you to put it up. Not fun.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

V3 Offroad camper

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2014

Bought this camper sight unseen from Bris,, extremely happy ,, basic to set up, 1 man , bout 40 mins to set up,, anyone struggling to put this up should never own a camper to begin with ,
Been on at least a dozen trips with camper friends and loads of kids ,, really put this trailer through its paces,, top product.
Would recommend to anuone

+ Space ,, being tottaly compact

- Was missin a leg handle, but you can wind the legs down with your fingers

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

Seems good no after sales servicr

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2014

After sales service bad thanks [names removed] you did nothing to address my problem but only what suited you enjoy your company growth [names removed] rod many posts on the net address your lack of service I refer to my received email from you if I defame your company you will come after me ?????

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 24 helpful votes

Market direct campers

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2014

Tbox v3 my camper is not a year old yet. 1 side box strut has broke the lifting struts for lifting the bed/tent has failed. you have to prop the top up with something it has always taken 2 people to lift the top. When the tent is set up it is so hard to access the side boxers. as the canvas cutout covers the corners of the 2boxers. can't enclose the kitchen area under the trailer because of were the spare wheel is mounted on the tail gate pushers the side of the tent out which stops kitchen wall meeting main wall if I don't open the kitchen up than the gas line is to tight this trailer was sold to me as an Austrailian made manufactured trailer with a china made tent it all come from china.it had a bike rack mounting point on the back of the trailer I had independent suspension fitted so the mounting point was taken off the water tank sits at the very back of the trailer I'm worried it will scrap when off road I have fixed to Many things to list I have less than a 100mm when the camper is loaded till the tyres scrap on the guards I was miss lead on the sale of this camper I have been abused by the director of market direct over the phone look long and hard do some research it's hard to by Australian because of the wording and sales

+ The tent

- Bad service bad warranty

Great Camper

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2014

We bought out MDC Deluxe V3 late in 2013. We have done a few trips since. Over Christmas drove from the sunshine coast in QLD to Coffs harbour, then inland for a few days. The camper went great. We put it up about 5 or 6 times in 12 days and find it easy to put up and down after a bit of practice. In March this year (2014) we dragged it up to double island point. I was a little worried about towing it in the sand, it weighs about 1000 kg fully loaded. But it towed like a dream, I evan managed to get off the beach in 2wd.

When we bought it w
e took the 18ft tent because it was the same price as the 12ft, but looking back i would go for the smaller one. The 18ft is huge and its a 2 person job to put up and down...

Since owning it i have added 12v power including a water pump. Well worth doing, and do it your self if you have the know how, it will cost a quarter of the MDC price.

Over all its a great camper.

+ Its great for the price and seems to be well built.

- I have noticed after 2 nights on the beach there is a bit of rust coming through some of the stone chips.

Sydney

• 1 helpful vote

Mdc off road deluxe v3

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2014

I find it hard to believe anyone can have so much trouble with their trailers
I purchased mine over twelve months ago. Two days after purchasing we went down the south coast,the first two nights had rain all night and not one drop of water inside
The only problem I had was once I got home after purchasing I saw that the stone guard was bent rang the guys straight away they replace it straight away
Every time I go away I always have some random family wanting to look inside as they are amazed at how much room there is inside

+ Tent size is excellent tows really well

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 12 helpful votes

Really bad customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2014

I bought a voyager RF The winch was useless the ratchet didn't engage. The legs on the fold down section were only tack welded and broke first use. The gas strut holders under the bed were already bent when I bought it they are too flimsy and have now been replaced. One 12 v socket didn't work on removal the wire was too short and had pulled out. The tent had been assembled wrong and had holes where they shouldn't be and none where they should be . The jockey wheel was loose and I almost ended up with the tow bar sat on my foot ................ Everything has been now fixed by me and I think for the cost the trailer is ok but the customer service is non existant and if you are not handy or wanting to do some diy stay away I honestly think MDC has the worst after sales customer service in Australia.
I have emailed them each time I found a problem and never received an answer.
I have removed all advertising from the trailer as its no 33% my build

+ Not too bad for cost it has some good features just badly finished

- Poor Finish , Lack of quality checks, Pathetic customer service

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

just used it first time in the rain and it leaked like a sieve Latest update the whole water line has deteriorated and leaks all over tried to replace and two die cast fittings broke rather than u... read more »

• 1 review
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Poor product and post purchase service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2014

Our issue has been that was bought new at camper show. Since then have returned 4 times( some 350km travelled doing this) as they refuse to accept that the warranty should be designed for at least 1 product failure, not 4 consecutive that are all different, relating to assembly, and only discovered when erecting. Poor quality and poor service.

+ Nothing. Every camping experience has been a let down.

- Really unreasonable warranty service with no onus on quality.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I bought a voyager RF The winch was useless the legs on the fold down section were only tack welded and broke first use the gas strut holders under the bed were bent when I bought it they are too f... read more »

Caboolture

• 5 comments
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Hope to get my moneys worth

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2013

+ when we first got it at an absolute bargain price, my friends told me how nice it looked new

- I only found out afterwards that its made in china and was surprised because I intended buying an Australian steel Camper like Dad always raved on about when he was alive

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

So its a good camper trailer but you are giving it 2 out of 5 stars all because its made in China? Doesn't make sense!

The disappointment is that I am stuck with a snap together Chinese trailer. Nikki I was suggested another budget brand, but I got confused because the MDC is similar in name to another highly recom... read more »

Hi, just wondering how did it handle your Fraser Island trip?

Can you pack up the extra annex woth the walls connected or do you have to dismantal it all

Rachel Spahic asked on Oct 03, 2016

Answer this

Hi Rachel, I guess you can, as from memory MDC uses ripstop fabrics made in China. If you look at the material it has tiny squares or like a cross stitch. This is really light compared to proper canvas made in Australia which is usually much heavier & weighs about 20kgs, so we take it off. The other thing to consider is if you can get it under the trailers fitted cover.
regards, Old John.

What's the customer service like. I've just placed a deposit on a trailer

BTS asked on Sep 06, 2016

Answer this

Couldn't fault it. Handover was great. After sales service great...One of the handle latches broke during xmas period, (could have happened to anyone) I thought that would not hear from them until new years. They responded very quickly and fixed no problems.

Once you pay your money forget customer service I have had three yrs worth of problems made worse by the fact that they never answer emails,make promises on the phone that never happened I can honestly say they have THE WORSE customer service I have ever come across if you can get your deposit back do it and look else where

Looking at buying the t box v5 camper can't seem to find any reviews, does anybody have 1 and have they experienced any problems?

Westo3 asked on Apr 26, 2016

Answer this

I have a T-Box and love it. Yes there are problems as you would expect with any import CT. Main one for me was the rear mounted wheel, wouldn't allow us to fit the annex side wall properly. I spoke to MDC Perth about this recently and they have a "in-house fix" apparently. Other issues were: jockey wheel (believe this has been updated recently too) is total rubbish, the wheel doesn't stay upright as the metal bends where the bolt goes through. My annex floor wasn't right so they replaced instantly. My annex started to tear on the stitching about 10 months after I bought it, they replaced instantly. Out of warrantly issues: 2 of the boxes have leaked, on inspection, the way they put the rubber seal on was flawed, at the bottom corners, it had creases that let in water. But don't think these are water tight because on further inspection I notice the rear box has a conduit entry point that isn't even sealed...
Putting the tent up is relatively easy but you will need 2 people as 1 person makes it almost impossible. Space is excellent, we have 2 kids. Overall I'm happy.
Hope this helps.