Filter By:

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Excellent Company!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

1. Great pricing - You don't ever need to pay more than you want to. Range of different payment options, suited to different people.
2. A wide range of options to suit your particular cover
3. Membership bonuses - I have been with Medibank for over 10 years and they continue to exceed my expectations!

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Zenina, Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to provide us with your lovely comments. Thank you for choosing to have your health insurance with Medibank. If there is anything we ca... read more »

Bunbury

• 3 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Do not use truly awful company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

This must be the most inefficient, incompetent business in Australia. Apart from the rip off fees, they lose refund claims, several times, pay refunds to the wrong people, several times, what don't they get wrong ?

If you are looking for health insurance my strong advice is please look elsewhere, the customer service is non existent.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi there, I am sorry to read about your recent experience. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know by sending us a private message or by contacting us on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 p... read more »

I have already been through that procedure TWICE ! and still await my money and to hear anything about my official complaint made on your website. All very disapointing again. To repeat to other p... read more »

Sydney, NSW

• 2 helpful votes

Totally crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2018

Rubbish, crap dishonest, doggy, terrible, expensive the list goes on. Don't waste your time and money. The company is notorious for grabbing your money.

Overcharging Agreed Premium

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

My elderly father is beside himself after discovering that over $840 was being taken from his bank account by Medibank on an original $125 plan. I have been trying to contact them to claim the error and have the money refunded. They apparently reverted the Premiums back after he phoned them but no paper work, no contract renewal, nothing in writing. So unprofessional it is a disgrace and they should no be allowed to operate as a corporation, such are the breaches in the conduct and complaints management. There are no email channels at all to use for complaints and support and this is unacceptable. Like lawyers say, phone calls are hearsay, has to be in writing and this, Medibank avoid like the plague. Well guess what Medibank, you are about to get busted for this shady management practise. Medibank have no trouble at all sending marketing emails out to people and push them to have their heart checked, so there is nothing wrong with the email system.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Yecats, We are terribly sorry to read about the experience your father has had with his Medibank account. Please know that this is not the experience that we want any of our members' to go thr... read more »

Insurance claim made

Never put your trust in medibank!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

1-After joining the Medibank, I received an offer from Bupa (cheaper but with excess), and the Bupa consultant told me that they offer a higher level of the hospital cover.
2- I called Medibank to cancel my policy. The Medibank consultant considered the Bupa plan and told me that the only difference is the support provided for heart disease. Since I do not have any cardiovascular complications, Unfortunately, I did put my trust in them and did not switch to Bupa!
3- Now, I have knee surgery, and Medibank does not cover some items while Bupa covers them in the offered policy!
4- No apologies from Medibank!

This is the worst health insurance I’ve ever had.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

I’ve opened a top extras 85 for my young child. When I wanted to claim, I was denied the online access. Instead I was asked to go to the Medibank or post office each time I want to claim. I wasn’t told about this when I started the policy. I was told that I can either claim through the card or online. Now when I want to claim, all changed. I do not have the time to run behind Medibanks or post offices each time I want to claim. I’ve asked them to give the money back so that I can cancel the policy but I haven’t received any reply so far. I have called them more than 20 times to solve this problem and each time they tell me that I can have the online access and send me a link to register that wouldn’t work. Then they’ve organised a “case officer” to “solve” the problem and he gave me a golden advise to go to the nearest Medibank or post office when I want to make a claim. “A very helpful case officer”. I am stuck with this policy and feel cheated by Medibank. I will never go with this cheating insurance again and recommend anybody to think twice before joining this.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi There, We are terribly sorry to read about your experience and that you have not received the customer service you deserve. We have just sent you a private message so that we can get details t... read more »

Tasmania

Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

No out of pocket for having my baby in private hospital! Just paid my excess. Service has always been great and any issues resolved very promptly. Extras cover on dental and optical has been very good too! I make sure I use a members choice to ensure less out of pocket.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Willow, Congratulations on the arrival of your little one, we hope everything is going well. We're really pleased to read that you have had a positive experience with us, thanks for choosing t... read more »

Adelaide

• 15 helpful votes
Private message

very expense and I had to blacklist sales person's constant annoying phone calls

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2018

the quote is expense compared to other insurers and the sales person kept calling me day and night. I ended up blacklisting them.Very annoying...
I also had poor experience on my Pet Insurance claim. So I won't put any more insurance polices with them. Instead I am considering canceling all my polices with them.

Brisbane

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

HIGHLY recommend Medibank Private

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

I've been a Medibank Private customer for some 30 years. Last year I had to be hospitalised several times.
I had a $500 excess and Medibank covered the rest which was a touch over $44K, yes that's right $44K!!!

Over the 30 years I've had to be in hospital several times;and between the hospital cover plus extras I've come out ahead,
They have paid out more than I've paid in premiums.

I could get cheaper cover with another health fund. However I'd much rather pay more and know I'm taken care of.

They have always been very polite and very helpful.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Cee Bee, Thanks for taking the time to send this feedback through to us. Loyalty is something that is highly appreciated here at Medibank and we would like to take this opportunity to thank yo... read more »

Quality cover

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

Recently I had a weeks stay in a private hospital after a serious operation. Medicare paid everything except for tests that were done in the hospital. When I returned home I received a bill from a pathologist for what I felt was quite high. On checking Medicare rebates on My Gov. and then on Medibank Private site, I discovered that I had been overcharged for tests. One I was charged $102.00 and a rebate of $30.75. The fund also paid their amount. These items were tests I have been having over the years and always been bulk billed. I can well understand why the funds are refusing to cover excessively high charges. It is a case of the pathologist make a huge profit.

I am a priory customer and always had good service from them. I usually choose to chat because I have a hearing problem and don’t like speaker phone. There is also a copy of the chat and rarely have to wait anytime at all to speak to someone. We are covered for Top Hospital Only.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Ann, Thanks for taking your time to write this review. We are really happy to have you as a loyal Medibank member, we are also glad to read that you find our online services helpful. If you t... read more »

Perth

• 4 answers
  • 9 helpful votes

The Federal Government needs an enquiry into Medibank Private

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

Was in the process of switching to another fund so went on live chat with Medibank who suggested I drop pregnancy cover - I am 65, why haven’t they suggested before I could do this? - so I decided to stay with them. Husband went in for day surgery and had to pay excess $500 upfront! Went to Medibank office and the woman read the live chat, hesitated before answering then said, ‘Your cover is for $500 excess?’ To which I replied,’ There is no mention of excess in the chat is there.’ The reply was,’No there isnt.’ She typed up a complaint and said someone would get back to me shortly. That was over a week and a half ago and no one has bothered. I now have a complaint with the ombudsman but I guarantee, an ex disgruntled employee of Medibank one day will spill the beans on this company because the woman had no intention of telling me i had been conned. And if I hadn’t used live chat, there would be no record of the conversation. Also, the policy premium is for a couple but the excess is $500 per individual. This clearly is deceptive and misleading conduct.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Dinah, Thanks for taking the time to send through feedback about your recent experience. We are terribly sorry to read about the issues you have had whilst reviewing your cover, we would defin... read more »

Adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

My mum paid tens of thousands and got nothing !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

My mum was in Medibank for many years and paid tens of thousands of dollars. When she died they refused to even pay a lousy $273-00 Ambulance bill. I also found that trying to contact them about anything was nothing short of a nightmare.

Just got off the phone to Medibank and am furious. Don't bother responding to this simply read the other multitude of complaints below mine and do something to fix this failed system up !

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Annual billing error with no apology

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

Poor customer support - Medibank calculated incorrect 3/18 annul premium, overcharging myself and my parents - 5.62% While mistakes happen, they offered no apology, rather assuming that we cause our account to remain in credit, resulting in an unnecessary over payment in April 2019.Takes 25 minutes to call them to ask for a refund. They seem to have old banking account details on file, offering to refund an old and closed bank account. Still no apology for overcharging until I ask for one. Then call center assistant apologies profusely. Says will report to management but unlikely to receive feedback as correspondence has already gone out. Can their calculations be trusted? Can they ever own their mistakes and stop making them?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi there, We are really sorry to read about your recent experience with Medibank. This is definitely not the type of experience we want for any of our members. I've just sent you a private messa... read more »

Insurance claim made

Terrible! Suggest to look around for better options

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

Very disappointed with Medibank. I ran into so many issues with Medibank. Although they had direct debit details they didn’t turn on direct debit. I was overseas for 6 months, when I came back and tried to make a claim, my claim declined and then I found out my policy was suspended. There was no correspondence all this time from Medibank. After raising a complaint, they agreed they will meet me in middle and ask me to pay 50% arrears and they will waive off the remaining but instead they took the remainder 50% via and unauthorised payment to my bank account. Although Medibank said they will resolve complaint within 10 days they breached their own timeline. My suggestion would be to shop around and leave Medibank out. If you are considering Medibank, it would be worth while checking how many Ombudsman complaint they have.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Thanks for taking the time to share your review Bella. I do apologise for the experience that you have been through with Medibank recently, it certainly does sound like we have let you down which i... read more »

Hi Brett,

Thanks for reaching out, I raised a complaint and after few calls and follow ups and on final attempt before contacting Ombudsman the issue was resolved.

Grrr

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

If I could actually speak to someone I could elobrate more. So much for priorty access. I am very dissapointed, just want to talk to a person. Why is so hard to pick up a phone.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Fee, I am sorry to hear you haven’t been able to speak with us. If there is anything we can do to help, please do not hesitate to call our Contact Centre on 132 331 (+61 3 8622 5780 from oversea... read more »

Policy set up against my will

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

Disgusting, manipulative and deceiving customer service from one representative in particular. Despite saying no several times in several different ways to commencing an insurance policy. One was set up anyway against my will. I didn't give consent to this, yet this particular customer service representative decided to do what he liked.
FRAUDULENT behaviour!
Will never recommend Medibank to anyone even despite other representatives being kind on the phone.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Ally,
I am sorry to read about your recent experience. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. We would like to get this sorted for you ASAP.

Sydney Burwood

• 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Top Cover Blue Ribbon Extras (pay Heaps) does not cover Blood Pressure Monitor even under Medical Ap

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

I have top cover Extras ( Blue Ribbon Extras) for the past 20 years or so.
As part of the above cover, which has cover for Medical Appliances, Tried to claim Blood Pressure Monitor but rejected saying it is NOT a Medical Appliance.
Can some one clarify if the Blood Pressure Monitor is a Medical Appliance or it is NOT as per Medibank Private.
They Charge huge premiums and increase by leaps and bounds...every year. But when you make a claim, they come with their own definitions of Medical Terms to reject your claim. Not worth having a private cover with them.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Subu,
I am sorry to hear you haven’t been able to claim Blood Pressure Monitor on you cover.
So that we can look into that for you, please reply to our private message with your membership details.

sydney

• 2 answers
  • 27 helpful votes

1 star is too many

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2018

Terrible service. Expensive and useless. Got $99 premium online and was charged $125. Con company. Unacceptable. No wonder the terrible rating on this website. Look for another company. Well, all insurance companies our cons anyway.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Sam,
I am sorry to read about your experience.
We would like to look into that for you. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

Sunshine Coast

Impossible to get Information From

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2018

After ringing to try and get information about claims for a 16 year old listed on the policy (and waiting half an hour to do so) they said they need to speak to my son before I could even ask about claiming. Switching companies tomorrow.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Darren, Thank you for your feedback. We understand that each family is different in the way that they share information with each other. Medibank has made the determination that the Privacy rig... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Rehab at home

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

I have just completed total knee replacement and prior to surgery I was not liking the idea of going to full time rehab after hospital. I enquirer with medibank and was told about the rehab at home scheme, I must say that the staff have been ever so helpful arranging everything , great service

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Thanks for getting in touch to share your review Martin. I do hope your knee replacement went well. It’s great to hear that you’ll be able to have your rehab at home we home that it makes things a ... read more »

1 of 30 pages