Filter By:

Frustrating!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2018

I don't understand why all of the sudden all of my claims for extras are rejected! After 3 phone calls and being promised I'd be contacted as my claims were being 'audited' I have heard nothing, only to sign in online and find that they are all being declined. I have statements to prove all visits; there is $450 available to claim which I have done so every year as my chiropractic bill is $4000+ a year and after being a member for 5 years now Im being rejected. It's so frustrating.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Bianca, thanks for taking the time to share your review. I’m sorry to hear about your recent claiming experience and have just sent through a private message to see what we can do to help. Thanks, Brett

Verified Customer

Junk Cover - Don't go with Medibank!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2018

I have had private health cover since birth and always thought it was important to continue even after 18. I have been back and forth over the years with Medibank and was advised to get hospital cover from my doctor as I needed to have vascular surgery. The waiting period was 12 months but I got scared, so I put it on the back burner. Fast forward years later after thousands and thousands of dollars spent on this junk insurance, I find out that I'm not covered. Medibank must get this alllll the time judging by the reviews, so I don't know why i'm shocked. The worst part is the passive aggressive phone operators who have no intention of helping you, and only offer to cancel your policy. You know what they want me to do? Increase my cover which means pay MORE money to get covered for this surgery and then WAIT another 12 months! I can't believe the money I have wasted on junk cover!!! After all these years, I finally pluck up the courage and now I can't get covered. Thieves!!! Junk Cover is a real thing!!!! Just save your money for extras and go public!!!! (no option for no star rating) Policy 30528335A

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Jess, thanks for taking the time to share your review. I’m really sorry to hear about your recent experience with Medibank and I’ve just sent you a private message to see what we can do to help out. Kind Regards, Brett

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Purveyors of junk and pedlars of misinformation and outright lies!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 04, 2018

The experience of a friend who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, their conversations with Medibank has left me bewildered.

After initially being informed the online chat (November 2017) was ... "In regards to cancer, We will cover all cancer treatments that are recognised and approved in Australia by Medicare, and are as an admitted patient in hospital. Experimental cancer treatments that have not yet been approved by Medicare in Australia are not included under this cover due to the potential risk to the patient's health. All mainstream cancer treatments are definitely recognised by Medicare, hence covered under all levels of cover which list cancer treatment as an included service."

Then closer to the day of admission, the online chat (January 2018) became ... "In order to take advantage of your private health insurance, the reason for the admission must be an inclusion in your hospital cover, and,......... The reason for the admission is not an inclusion in your hospital cover"

Thousands and thousands of dollars wasted on junk over so many years.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi James, I’m really sorry to hear about your friends’ diagnosis and experience with Medibank. I’ve just sent you a private message as we’d like to see what we can do to help out. Kind Regards, Brett

Trash offers dodgy crooks

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

The offer online was totally different than their offer over the phone. Do not trust these dodgy crooks.
I was surprised when they call me back and start telling lies about the offer.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Al, I’m sorry the offer online was different to what you were offered over the phone. We’d like to look into this for you. I have just sent you a private message so that we can help further. Thanks, Sheena

Too late
Hips of insurance companies, don't play the dodgy game with costumers

Appalling value

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2017

I have been a customer for 25 years but enough is enough. Medibank provides very poor value and I'm going to change funds. They also provide poor customer service - if you are enquiring about new membership they'll answer the phone in a flash, but if they've already got you they leave you hanging. Not happy.

Comments
Medibank Official

Good morning Sarah, thanks for taking the time to share your review. We’re really sorry for the troubles you have had trying to get in touch and we’d be sorry to lose you as a member after all thes... read more »

Insurance claim made

Have an operation and they pay nearly nearly nothing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Was massively out of pocket. They paid the in stay visit fees...after the excess of $500. But paid just over $500 on operation costs...so was over $15000 out of pocket. Completely hopeless...no value for money.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Rustymac, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I hope you have made a speedy recovery from your recent hospital stay. If you can reply to my private message with your policy detail... read more »

Already spoken over the phone to Medibank...and they confirmed I would receive about $640 back. They were right, as I just got notification that this figure has been received by my doctor. So not ... read more »

...

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

If only I could give zero stars

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2017

Absolutely appalling services. Agreed on an amount when you sign up then charge a higher amount once they have your credit card details. The time you spend on hold for a customer service rep is absurdly long like 2 hours. Rejected my 2 claims that’s worth maybe $40 altogether (I’ve never claimed before) for items that I should’ve been able to claim stating not enough supporting documents. Mind you I’ve been paying them over $200 per month for years. Stupid company ran by stupid people. Hope you’re happy that you lost 2 customers that you’ll never get back.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi HYC, we’d be terribly sorry to lose you as a member after all these years. This certainly does sound like a very frustrating experience all round and I would really like to see what we can do to... read more »

Ha, too little too late. The person that took the call when I canceled our policies didn’t seem to care. Seriously with a score of 1.4 Medibank is a scam and a joke.

• 3 helpful votes

Absolute joke

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2017

I needed a procedure completed I called up they said it was all fine. Then closer to the date of my procedure they said I wasn’t covered! So I’ll have to fork out the cash. What a joke. I’ll be canceling. And i definitely wouldn’t recommend to anyone!

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Terry, I am so sorry for the inconvenience and stress that your recent experience with Medibank has caused before your procedure. I’ve just sent through a private message, if you can get back to... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

New Member, sorry I transferred to them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Transferred all family to Medibank on friends recommendation. Consolidated various health insurance from BUPA, HCF and AHM all to Medibank private.
- Sign up process was a breeze.. great people no probs. (what a surprise)
- Called to update address and discuss transfer issue. (What a pain). On hold for 20 min then cut off. On hold again for 20min so gave up & tried on line chat.
- Waited for 10 min to get an on line chat!!
- Once I got on a chat, I told them change of address and that I received a letter saying that HCF refused to give a Transfer Certificate so Medibank just put my wife's loading to 26%!! and that we would need to contact HCF directly.

Problems
1/ It is impossible to get anyone on the phone at Medibank!!!!
2/ I was assured that I would not need to do anything with the other companies and they would manage it. I understand that HCF are not complying, but its a painful process indeed.

Tomorrow my Wife and I will close our country medical clinic and take 1/2 a day off from our Jobs as a GP Doctors to go to a branch to resolve. It will cost us collectively $3,000 in lost revenue and our urgent patients will just have to go to emergency.

Poor customer experience and we will loose money in the process. Sorry to our patients and thanks for being so unavailable Medibank.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi there, I am really sorry that you have experienced these difficulties in reaching Medibank to update your address and transfer information. We’d like to help, so I’ve just sent you a private ... read more »

• 1 answer

Travel Insurance Claim Nightmare

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

I have has Medibank Health Insurance for quite some time, no issues there. I go through Medibank for travel insurance. This year for the first time in my life I had to make a claim. I was made to feel like I was lying, like a criminal. After about 30 minutes I decided to ring up and make a complaint. Eventually someone contacted me who was extremely polite and professional. The amount of evidence that the first person asked for was ridiculous. Claim was settled without having to provide unrealistic evidence. Think carefully and read PDS before taking out travel insurance through Medibank. Having said that I'm sure most companies are just as bad. If you need to make a claim for loss or theft make sure you report it to police as a flimsy police report from a foreign country will make it easier for you.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi G.G, thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m really sorry to hear about your recent claiming experience but I am glad to hear that your claim has since been settled. We’d ... read more »

Thanks for responding. I am glad the second person I spoke to was reasonable and settled the matter. I don't need any further follow up as the whole ordeal was upsetting and I don't want to go thr... read more »

Pet Insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

Tried to get info.for one of my 3 pets that have been covered for 10yrs. I felt like I was talking to a robot not able to converse about my problem, it was like it was memorized to suit my question, which was not answered. Mentioned I may cancel the policies and then she couldn't be any quicker to put me through to someone to help me to do this.Thanks for nothing , you are now minus 3 pet policies, not worth the money.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Ang, I’m really sorry that you found it difficult to get the information about your 3 pets and that you ended up cancelling as a result. It’s certainly not the experience that we want for any of... read more »

OSHC: Poor Response and terrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

I had my OSHC cover with Medibank for 2 years. Medibank was not my choice but something selected by my university. I graduated from uni and my student visa got expired on 15th September 2017 so was my OSHC cover. My new insurance provider requested the transfer certificate by then and Medibank never responded until I called them on 19th October. More than one month and no response at all. Then I received the certificate without an end date. They asked for proof that my student visa has expired. I submitted the same immediately and no response till now (10 days). If I am done with my studies and my cover is over why can't you issue the transfer certificate? Above all why can't you respond to emails as a responsible company? The legal time frame to issue a transfer certificate is 14 days and for me it has been 6 weeks.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Chanuthi, I am terribly sorry to hear about the delays that you have had with your clearance certificate and we’d like to see what we can do to help out. Can you please reply to my private messa... read more »

Brisbane

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Medibank discloses your personal information to third parties

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2017

Medibank Private has supplied my personal details to a third party without my permission.
I received a telephone call today from a woman in Adelaide claiming she was calling me from Medibank.
It was from phone number 08 8179 3166.
The woman knew my name and obviously my mobile number and of course my age, as she was calling me to sell me a “free hearing test” as a lead in to get sales on hearing aids.
I questioned her extensively and finally she admitted she wasn’t employed by Medibank, but had been provided with my personal information by MEDIBANK.
Medibank has provided these people with the private information of thousands of other people also. (source internet)
I told her this was unacceptable and I will report her to the ACCC.
I have since spoken to the federal privacy commissioner who has told me to email my complaint to Medibank and allow Medibank 30days under the legislation to answer before the Privacy Commissioner who will fine Medibank and disclose it to the media.
I require Medibank to admit in writing they have given my and thousands of others information to a third party, who is using the pretense of phoning from Medibank to Australian Seniors.
This by the way is not the first time that I have been phoned by these same people offering a “free hearing test” from “Medibank”
I may also point out my phone number is a do not call number and as such another law has been broken by Medibank. It will be pursued vigorously.
Note...30 days it is guys before the privacy commission gets involved.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Peter, thanks for taking the time to share your review. We’d really like to take a further look into this for you and help with any questions and concerns that you have. I’ve just sent through a... read more »

Midibank failed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2017

I was just going to get OVHC online with Medibank. I thought let me check their review. Looking at the reviews, looks like Medibank has to left their game up.... Going away with the other heath cover company. I cannot put up with this stuff....

Comments
Medibank Official

HI CDL, we’re sorry to hear that you decided to take out your cover with a different company. If you have any specific questions or concerns that we can help with at all please just let us know. All the best – Brett

Very bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

Hi already insurance this company but fist and last time be cause not good this pls avoid medibank i very afsit this company

Medibank0000000000000 0 0 0 0 0 0

Comments
Medibank Official

Good morning Sonu, thanks for taking the time to share your review. I’m sorry to hear about your recent experience with Medibank. If you have any questions or would like us to look into anything fo... read more »

Over charged every week

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

I am now on the phone for the 4 week in a row trying to sort out my account! Every week I’ve been double charged and every week I ring up explain to the 1st person who tells me I have $300 over due and then I get transferred they realise it’s there mistake and end up refunding the money! I’m really over it and think it’s best I just cancel the account!

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Jotay, I'm really sorry to hear about this experience, we certainly don't expect you to be contacting us every week to chase a refund! I'd really like to investigate this and ensure it doesn't c... read more »

• 1 helpful vote

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2017

I am with Medibank sine June 2017 and i have a family policy for which I pay close to 400 dollars monthly and i didn’t do a claim for myself but I bought a visitor policy to my mother who stated in Australia for 7 weeks .
When I bought her policy I added my name and my wife’s name to speak on her behalf .

Now we made a claim for couple of hundreds the cost of blood tests that the GP requested for her and it’s an agony

When we spoke over the phone Medibank person said they will send us claim for to complete and send back and we did this and send it back more than 2 weeks ago via express post and was delivered 10 days ago as we tracked it .
When my wife called today they told her they received nothing ! And that we need my mother to sign authority form so we can claim on her behalf !

Adding to this , when I bought my family policy , they said there’s is a gift card with 300 dollars to be sent working 6 weeks and nothing sent till now and we called several times and got conflicting replies !

All this shake the credibility and question the professionalism of Medibank .

And this will be enough reason to make me worried in case I need to use our family policy , till now poor unprofessional service indeed .

I think it’s time maybe to find another provider .

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Medibank Official

Good afternoon George, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Medibank so far. I’m disappointed to read that you have been disappointed with Medibank so far, but it sounds like th... read more »

One simple enquiry - 2 follow emails - 3 weeks - and still haven't received any reply.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2017

As medibank states that for OSHC they cover 100% of GP's fee and according to them the avg fee of a GP is only $37-$38.

As on their website, under the list of GPs who provide service for $37, it states the list is not available yet so I sent them an email to customer care to get the list of such GPs.
I got a reply back asking for further details but after providing the required details I have sent 2 follow up emails and still haven't received any reply.

I wonder if they take so long to reply for such a simple question, how long will they take for serious and complex situations.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Jai, thanks for sharing your review. I can confirm that under Medibank’s OSHC policies GP consultations are covered to 100% of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fee. This fee is not actually ... read more »

Sydney, Australia

• 3 helpful votes

Poor Customer Service!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2017

When I joined I was told that Medibank will organise cancellation with my previous health fund so there would be a smooth transition and I would have no gap in my health cover. As I was doing my tax return, I realised this was not the case and in fact I had 9 days where I had no health cover and could affect how much tax I pay. Do not offer this service to transfer the health cover from a previous fund if you can't deliver.

From then on, It has been a frustrating experience trying to deal with their customer service. Live chat is absolutely hopeless- took 1 hour to even understand my concerns. Phone customer service was appalling, the lady was incredibly rude, first trying to blame me for the mistake and then switched to blaming my previous health fund. At no point has Medibank taken any sort of responsibility for this mistake.

This poor experience has led me to regret my decision in switching over to Medibank. I should have trusted the poor reviews and ratings.

Comments
Medibank Official

Hi Emleee, thanks for taking the time to share your experience. This does sounds quite frustrating and is disappointing to read as here at Medibank we want to make this process as smooth as possibl... read more »

Lack of urgent cover

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2017

Right now I have a ruptured patella tendon from the knee cap was booked in for urgent surgery for tomorrow to repair the tendon, yet have been told that it needs to be postponed due to Medibank needing proof the injury was a accident. I am told by medibank that this paper work will take 5 business days to be processed even though surgery is needed URGENTLY. I now have to seek the referring doctor who is not at work today and uncontactable and a surgeon who is in theatre all day to try and get their part of the forms completed and sent back to medibank so that I might be able to receive my urgent surgery booked in tomorrow possibly some time next week. How absurd!!
the injury was sustained playing football with mates a freak accident that happened whilst landing wrong after a small mark.
Hoping for the best but stressed out and frustrated.

Comments
Medibank Official

Good morning Miles, I’m sorry to hear about your recent injury and the troubles that you've had with arranging your surgery. We’d love to see what we can do to help get you booked in ASAP. If you c... read more »

1 of 26 pages