Filter By:

Melbourne

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Sep 2018

Disappointed. Site Team Refuses to Rectify Defects & Non Compliances Identified by Independent Inspe

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

I am now building my home with Metricon. It is under construction .

I have engaged an independent building inspector but Metricon site team has been refusing to follow the independent surveyor’s report. This is the email reply I got from the site team when I sent to them the independent building inspector’s report on frame:

“Thanks for the report. As discussed This report is between you and you inspector. If their are items in the report that we need to rectify then we will but this will not stop us from moving forward. As explained we go by the building surveyors inspections, which is check point.”

There are only 2 defects in the frame inspection report prepared by Metricon’s building surveyor.

However, in the independent building inspection reports, there are 22 types of defects at numerous points, all indicated clearly by referring to Building Code of Australia, Building Regulations and Australian Standards. The defects range from engineering issues, shortcuts in installation to the use of material not complying with regulations.

Metricon sent me the invoice for the frame stage even though they didn’t have the frame approval from Metricon’s own building surveyor. When I replied by saying that I would only pay after receiving approval from Metricon’s building surveyor as stated in the contract, the site coordinator was furious and told me off over the phone.

I understand site works do not always go smoothly and defects do occur. As long as defects and non-compliances are rectified then we can just move on. But the situation now is that I have been told more than once verbally and in writing by th site team that Metricon does not need to address the defects in the independent inspection report because owners paid for the independent inspector, not Metricon, and it is Metricon’s policy to only to respond to their own surveyor’s report.

There have been a number of instances showing the oppressive nature of the site team, One of them is warning me not to send any email because site coordinator would not entertain. At this point of time, I am not ready to share all of these in public because I am already feeling the repercussions. I just hope that all defects will be rectified accordingly before it is too late.

I wrote the first part of the review above after the my frame inspection but eventually couldn’t bring myself to submit it to Product Review, thinking that the situation might get better because my independent inspection company contacted Metricon’s management regarding the non cooperative attitude of the site team. But I was wrong

To my disappointment, at the following pre-plaster inspection, we were told that the piping was not completed (they claimed that it was due to vandalism) and the inspector found out that quite a number of frame defects have not been rectified.

One of the many pending issues is the lintels in a few locations, which does not comply with the minimum requirement of Australian Standards. But the site coordinator still argued with the inspector that Metricon’s engineering team approved it.

Now I’m on the verge of losing confidence with Metricon and have no choice but to spend more money to rearrange for another frame re-inspection and pre-plaster inspection, hoping that the pending issues will have been addressed at the upcoming inspection. I just hope that from now on, the project will be handled more ethically and professionally.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Disappointed, As communicated via email earlier today, we understand your concerns were raised in February and have been addressed by our construction team. If this is in relation to any other ... read more »

Update: I'd like to thank Customer Care for helping. Now almost all items have been addressed and I was told a few will be addressed at later stage.

Metricon Official

Hi Disappointed, Thank you for updating the post, we are very glad to be of assistance to you. Your home is very close to handover and we trust that you will " Love where you Live ". Thank you f... read more »

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Jan 2019

Terrible Costumer Service and Sales Representative.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2018

At first we though we are good to build with Metricon. It sounds promising. We supposed to be signing our contract next week. We been through all the changes we want including color scheme and back and fort correspondence -- confusion back and fort too due to the change of Sales Coordinator. Our base price that supposed to be locked for 12 months was increased because the first Sale Consultant left and didnt submit the document to locked it - even if we paid the money to fixed it. Delays due to Sales Rep giving us options of facade that was not fit to our lot or layout that was not compliant to what we already requested and so many times, credit that we supposed to give us due to changing carpet to timber flooring, reduce size of outdoor/dining etc. The supposed to be "fixed site" cost that we signed during the locked price was increased, due to "Slab upgrade due to the existing fill on site that we not counted for the initial fixed site cost estimate". The Standard slab is M but teh fixed site cost supposed to be increased only if Soil Test result to be E or S and need change slab accordingly. Our soil test is H, which is common to Western Suburb areas.
They don't want to give the credit, blaming us for the confusion and correction of the layout that we already requested that didn't reflected on their layouts and wants to charge extra for the site cost before the contract signing when we already got our finances sorted and the Contract price they want us to sign is above our maximum capacity.

We considering to find other builder now. We dont want further stress.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi MitzYao, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have located your file and have escalated the concerns to Management for review. We appreciate your patience during this time of invest... read more »

To avoid further delay and stress to us, we decided not to build with Metricon. I suggest Metricon should look and review your sales and coordination system and Customer service. Seriously, you sho... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi MitzYao, We are disappointed to read of your decision. We understand our internal team is currently processing your cancellation. We wish you the very best in your future build plans MitzYao, I... read more »

north parramatta

Verified Customer Build Location: Sydney Region Construction End Date: May 2016

No one can contact with and come and fix the after settlement problems!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

Metricon finished to build our house but leave something need to be fix after settle: the stair case and some part of the wall need to be pain again; my upgrading wooden folding door need to be pain and fix (it cost me over $15,000 upgrade the wooden door, it cannot fold to the end). We paid in full and believed them as they promised if we find out any problem need to be fix in the first 3 months after settle, they will send people come and check. Because we are harry to move in and we agree with Metricon that they can send the painter as soon as they can (because if paint the stair case, we can't go upstairs), we leave all the furniture in downstairs and try to contact with Metricon. However, both the project manager and office lady, no one reply our mail, call and message.

Furthermore, we find out one of window in my master room can not be open up because there is a brick in front of it and the brick need to be remove. And two of the windows are very hard to open because the wall on the side of the window is not straight, so when I open the awning window, the side of the window will attaché the outside wall. that is very very bad construction.

Never paid in full if they are not fix all the problems! However, if they keep delay for few weeks and months, customer have to pay the rent or interest for few hundreds a week and Metricon only will pay $39/day for the delay fee that is not worth as well.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Lisa, Thank you for your review and your private message today. We understand our Building Support Team Leader has been in contact with you earlier today to discuss these items. As informed, we... read more »

Sydney

• 5 questions
  • 13 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Sydney Region Construction End Date: Feb 2018

Inspect Metricon's workmanship regularly and carefully yourself and use a building inspector

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 28, 2018

We have a contract for construction of a new house with Metricon in NSW. The house is about 70% complete. In November 2017 an independent building inspector identified many serious defects, some are structural. It was quite fortunate we had organised an extra inspection at this point. Most people would not do this and would be unaware of major defects until the final handover time, if at all. Our experience suggests Metricon’s contractors’ work is not adequately supervised or checked for quality. Metricon seems hurried in moving from one step to the next without checking their contractors workmanship. If any defects are found early on, to keep the job moving Metricon promises they will be fixed later to allow them to issue the next progress payment invoice. It's more likely most customers will only identify defective workmanship just prior to completion in the ’Pre Completion Inspection’, and many others will not notice anything. By this stage, unfortunately, customers are in a vulnerable position, anxious to move in, possibly having nowhere else to live, and their finances stretched. Metricon will promise to fix everything later under warranty and require the customer signs a ’Practical Completion Form’ before they can move in. It seems getting things fixed properly after handover can be very difficult and time consuming. We suggest thinking very carefully about Metricon’s organisational culture and conduct before signing up and, during your build, inspecting their workmanship regularly and carefully - both by yourself, as well as using an independent inspection service.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Peter, Thank you for contacting Customer Care. As per acknowledgment email on the 17th January, your matter has been escalated to our management team and our General Manager was in prompt cont... read more »

Dear Metricon, We refute the information you have provided above. It is not correct and looks like PR 'spin'. A meeting was not arranged with your General Manager, Area Building Manager, Executive ... read more »

Hi all PR readers, In addition to posting comments here, we suggest anyone who has also experienced unacceptable conduct from Metricon should report them to the Australian Consumer and Competition ... read more »

Waverton

• 7 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Sydney Region Construction End Date: May 2017

Very poor after construction communication and service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2018

We did a knock down and rebuild with Metricon in North Sydney council area. We've had 3 site managers in total during the build. When specific issues were identified by my private 3rd party building inspector during construction, these issues were notified in writing (with pictures) to the site manager. Each site manager would always say, "oh yes, we already knew about those issues" and proceeded to PROMISE rectification. Of course, alot of these issues would never be rectified and then along comes the next site manager. The next site manager of course would conveniently forget about those previously identified issues and when we pointed them out to him, he would blame the previous site manager for "not handing over" properly. The problem in construction is that, if an issue identified early on during construction is not rectified before the nest stage begins, then that issue can become a nightmare to fix later on down the track. And of course, that "new" site manager would conveniently quit Metricon again within a few months and then we have a new one to deal with. Admin staff at the office is the same. We would have to change our point of contact multiple times. If we identified any issues at all, it would take months and repeated emails from us to follow up. And then when you finally get those tradesmen attending your home to fix the issues, those tradies are completely clueless as to what the issues are. i.e. there is zero communication between the head office/site managers to the tradesmen who are tasked with the job. We knocked down our house in Feb 2016. Didn't get handover until May 2017. Took alot longer than the initial "9 months" as promised by the initial site manager. We would highly recommend engaging an external building inspector when you do your construction. They have picked up multiple construction issues which I would never have noticed. The latest issue is trying to get a final stormwater certificate from Metricon. Issues at the initial inspection were already highlighted by the consultant to Metricon back in August 2017. Well Jan 2018 is almost over and we still don't have the certificate. You find yourself constantly having to double check Metricon's work and constantly having to chase them. With the revolving door of admin staff it gets a bit tiresome.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Michael, We understand our Customer Care team have been in close communications with you recently regarding your above concerns. We acknowledge the required plumbing works were completed in Dece... read more »

Hi. Yes, required repair plumbing works were finally completed in December. That was 4 months AFTER this was highlighted by initial inspection report. And the repair was only completed after alot o... read more »

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Melbourne Construction End Date: Jan 2018

Ignores issues until too late to fix

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

Site supervisor does not respond to issues reported on a timely manner thus something simple to fix becomes difficult and eventually ends up just doing a workaround which you are forced to accept. Most of the time you will think “this could have been prevented if only you have acted on it sooner”.

Worksmanship, build quality, management of the build is okay as long as everything goes according to plan but once issues arises as stated above, they struggle.

Customer service is average. Initial stages is okay but once construction begins you are just a number. They are a volume builder so they have less time for you. One thing has been made clear though, their schedule is the only thing that’s important to them.

Will I build with / recommend Metricon again? No.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Obi, We would like to help ensure any outstanding defects are being attended to satisfactorily for you. Please allow us to assist by contacting customercare@metricon.com.au with your reference... read more »

Apparently I cannot do that in fear of further compromising our build. The rectification will happen in a space that is already covered so there is no way to check if it was done in a workmanlike m... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi Obi, We are very dissapointed to read of your concerns. We are here to help ensure that all concerns raised are being attended to without compromising the quality of your home. Your feedback wi... read more »

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: South Australia Construction End Date: Feb 2017

Bad workmanship and mixed review customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2017

Hi guys,

Please be very careful when selecting Metricon to build your house especially their lackluster customer service and build quality. They do not like to take responsibility for the defects that they have done.

The build quality is around 6/10 but there are quite a few issues that we have noticed when after we moved in.

1) We moved in on February 2017. We were given the 90 days maintenance service to fix things. The list were expired on May and they were supposed to come out after that to fix everything up. However, it's November now and still not everything have been rectified. E.g. Raised carpet, small holes on the ceiling, torn flyscreen, broken kitchen light and etc. All of these were happened prior to handover and they failed to pick this errors up. The building manager then told me to put those items in during our handover day so they could be fixed after 90 days. Since then, I have emailed over and over and over again to the support team which they said they will follow up but it is all obviously an empty promise.

2) Slab overflow (encroachment) - https://imgur.com/a/dBRri Here is a link to some photos to show you how bad the defect and overflow. So, my garage is built on boundary and it looks all good at the beginning. However, when my right hand neighbour has decided to build by excavating to get a retaining wall going, they came to me to notify me about the slab overflow. Apparently, that is considered as an encroachment into my neighbour's land even in the legal term (be it underground footing or not). Therefore, I went and talk to a Metricon building manager, [name removed] who is responsible for my case. What do you know! [Name Removed] called me back and told me that is a common practice and it's the neighbour's reponsibility to fix my encroachment? I was like what?!! I don't think it is my neighbour or my responsibility to rectify this since I have paid Metricon to do a good job in accordance to the contract. A building inspector that I have spoken to was saying the same thing as well and he is prepared to write a report about this. Even the building compliance officer at my local district council has called me up to ask Metricon to fix this encroachment. From what I have gathered on concrete slab pouring on boundary, the concrete specialist should have put a metal sheet prior to slab pouring in the first place to prevent this encroachment. Metricon flat out refused to rectify this issue which is a very big fail on their behalf. I am at loss of word.

Initially, I chose to select Metricon to build my home because of all the research and positive feedbacks that i have gotten and gathered. Metricon have even scored 4.3/5 from this site based on thousands of reviews. That equals to 86% out of 100% which is a high distinction in any standard. TWO thing that stick up the most in those positive feedbacks are the building quality AND outstanding customer service even after the built. I really do hope Metricon can live up to that rating and do what is right.

I really just want to live in a quality built house which Metricon has aspired to, apparently.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Edwin C, Thank you for contacting us via Product Review and for bringing this to our attention. We take our customer's feedback very seriously and hope you will allow us the opportunity to inves... read more »

Hi Metricon,

Thank for the swift response. I have just emailed you and hope these issues can be rectified ASAP. At the meantime, I will update everyone here too on how it goes soon.

Metricon Official

Hi EdwinC, thank you for your comment. We are in receipt of your email and will ensure your matter is raised immediately with the relevant Management team for further review. We will continue to co... read more »

Penrith

Verified Customer Build Location: Sydney Region Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Improving...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

I haven't even started my build process yet but I am so disappointed and frustrated with Metricon's pre construction stage I felt compelled to start my review now. This was especially so after reading the last review about Metricon. There is virtually no communication between the various sections involved in pre construction resulting in variations not being past on. Changes are not reflected in the drawn plans - there are discrepancies between what is written in the variations and what is drawn. The variations are so hard to follow that it's impossible to know whether you've been double charged for things. The latest issue that happened only today is the last straw. There was a variation available that reflected the display home at Kellyville Homeworld. It included the side of the house being pushed out 650mm to make more space in the living, kitchen, pantry and laundry. It also included upgrades to each of these areas. We didn't necessarily want ALL of the upgrades so we asked for the extra room but not all of the upgrades. It worked out to be cheaper doing it that way, the variation was supplied and we signed the contract and proceeded. Well that was back in July. It's now only 12 days before the contract expires, the house is approved, loans finalised ready to go and we get a variation for over $7,000 because this original variation was not costed correctly - THE same variation I was using to determine options!! The package price is actually way cheaper and we would have received lots of upgrades with it! Attached with this variation was a lovely email indicating that I have to sign it in order to proceed. In order words, if you don't sign it, we won't move on. I've sent an email asking to speak to somebody higher up and will update the review with the result.

So my customer service officer and her supervisor have addressed my issues to the point that I am moving forward. I've added another star for them addressing this issue and hopefully as the build progresses I will add more. Watch this space.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Greg, As communicated earlier, we understand our Customer Support Manager has been in contact to assist with your concerns. We are pleased to know that your file is moving forward and we have e... read more »

Brisbane

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Apr 2013

RUN!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2017

No one would expect a Metricon home that is 3 years young to have horizontal cracking in the middle of the gyprock wall and be told "that's normal, and cracking in the middle of wall will continue to appear, and is part of home owner maintenance". I have never had this problem with my other 6 homes that I have built with other builders. The workmanship is hit and miss. I like the design of the houses, but unfortunately one does not want to spend over $400,000 to build and then be up for repairs in 3 years time (Metricon are not the cheapest builder). If you want quality, good workmanship and knowledge that if there is an unfortunate problem, it will be fixed (for example a Mercedes car valued at only $100,000 you get 5 years manufacturer warranty and here we spend $400,000 and after 3 years, we get "please go away") use another builder, I will be.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Debra, We are disappointed to read you are not happy and hope you will allow us the opportunity to investigate your concerns further. If you could please email our Customer Care team via custom... read more »

Thank you for your response, and I have already sent numerous emails off to your different teams, and the same comment comes back "that's normal, & cracking in the middle of the wall will continue ... read more »

Metricon Official

Good afternoon Debra, thank you for your comment. Our Customer Care team is in receipt of your email, we thank you for forwarding this through. Our team will escalate your concerns to the relevant ... read more »

Adelaide

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: South Australia Construction End Date: Apr 2017

Very ordinary quality and terrible customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

I have built my house recently with Metricon. Based on what I had heard, I was so happy at the beginning, to choose them. But, everything turned in a wrong direction.
Very irrespective, impolite and unprofessional team, from sales to maintenance. Poor customer service.
Terrible management system.
I just want to share my experience with you.
I am so disappointed and won't recommend them to anyone.
I'll explain in detail what they did to me, in few posts soon.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Sam, we refer to our last communication to you on 20th & 27th of September 2017. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to assist and request that you contact us via email to customercare@met... read more »

I'll show you that your system in not willing to solve the issues. This is the contract no.672628.

Metricon Official

Hi Nadar, Thank you for your response. We have forwarded your matter to the relevant management team for review. Once further feedback is received, Metricon will provide a response to you. Thank y... read more »

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Melbourne Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Disappointing with entire process

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2017

From the start, our sales consultant failed to reveal to us that the facade we choose had a pillar in the middle of the garage, not practical at all. We managed to change the facade later but had to pay quite a big cost for the change. Our customer service consultant was not very nice and we felt didn't have our best interest either. Then later we found out there was a discrepancy with the material used for our facade, they used cladding instead of timber and we were asked again to pay extra for a change in colour when both parties were at fault. We were disappointed with the process and wouldn't recommend anyone to choose metricon.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Lisa, As per our communication to you on 22nd September, we would like to help ensure your concerns are being addressed accordingly. Kindly email customercare@metricon.com.au at your earliest c... read more »

Hi Lisa,
In reference to our last correspondence to you. If we can be of further assistance, kindly contact our team on the email address provided.

Private message

A lot of mistakes. You have to do a lot of proof reading before sign anything.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2017

We build $700k house with metricon. They have a lot of mistakes.

During the colour selection, we did choose "replica" as our skirting. For the first colour schedule is correct but the final one it change to something else by metricon staff. We didn't request it however because we could not found out before we sign it, finally we have to accept the mistake skirting and pay extra to ask other builder to replace it.

The contract name at the beginning is under my name & my wife name. We did ask to change to under my name only however the final result is some document change to my wife name and some still under my name & my wife name. This cause me hard to explain to my finance broker.

Price is not detail enough such as carpet will not mention how much /m2, and total how many carpet used in the house. All you get is the total price. So you never know they count you much or less?
one of my Wet area, they did put carpet there. We ask them to change back to tile and pay for the tile but we cannot get back the carpet money. The reason is they didn't count that part carpet before but the problem is you can see there is carpet in the drawing. I think this is so funny. If they never count the carpet in the job, why they will put it in the drawing.

I have spent nearly 2 weeks to deal with the kitchen mistake and a lot of mistakes is careless.

I have build 3 houses before, burbank, PD & carlislehomes. But this is the most tired one and you need to very be careful!!

BTW my second Customer Support Co-ordinator is extremely helpful. I have to say thanks to her.

January 21st 2018 Update: Just move in the house. 38degree but cooler half house not work.5 toilets no toilet can use.flush to

I did pay $710k to metricon to build this house. before i move in the house. i pay $ for inspector to check house. they told me the foundation got crack. that will cause my house will have more crack in the future. and i move in 3 weeks. ground floor start got some small crack.
before i sign the settlement. I find out a lot of overpaint on window. site manager ask me to settle first and after that he will send someone to fix it. but now already 2 months past. still not fix. and site manager disappear. you cannot contact him anymore.
38 degree but half house cooler not working. 5 toilet no toilet can use. if I flush any toilet, water will come out from shower drain and got a bad smell.
all front window cannot close/ open and some door on upper lever cannot close i guess because of the house foundation.
poor painting skill!! My one is designer range. all timber window got over paint. you can see a lot of paint mark on any window, and some of them is on flyscreen that you cannot clean it. that is totally different to what you see in display house.
Flyscreen not install properly, there is a bit cap between window & flyscreen. insect can come in during night time.
I did log in the warranty item. but metricon keep delete it after few days. and I put it again and they delete all again. and now the Warranty Site Manager is display "NOT YET ALLOCATED" phone "N/A". So you cannot contact anyone for warranty. and they will not do any warranty!!!
Plumping is Urgent waranty item, but My kitchen sink is leaking and bathroom is block but i have wait for few days, Noone contact me.
I did keep all the record, if anyone want to know more, I dont mind to share this bad experience with you.
I did build 3 house with Volume Builder in melbourne. this is the most expense and the worst experience so far.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Lin, As communicated to you yesterday, we would like the opportunity to help ensure your concerns are addressed. Kindly contact customercare@metricon.com.au with your job reference number for u... read more »

Hi Lin,
We are writing in relation to our last correspondence to you. If there is anything we can still assist with, please contact us via email to customercare@metricon.com.au.
Regards,

Diggers Rest, VIC

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Melbourne Construction End Date: Jun 2019

Extreme disappointment

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2017

We have given the landtitle to Metricon on 9 May 2017 and nearly 3 months now, they still haven't break ground pointing the blame to our Developer, St Genevieve. They only arranged for our plans to comply with our Developer after receiving our landttitle saying they could not do this without it while in fact we know for sure that 2 other neighbors of ours secured this well ahead of the landtitle release! And while our neighbors house build managed to start in May itself, well done Carlisle and Simmonds, we are still sitting with ordering of materials for our build. Metricon crashed our hopes of being in our new home for Christmas. Extremely disappointed. They take you for a fool by giving you reasons that it's your Developers that caused the delay and that the Council for building permit didn't help as well. But clearly if others did it, where does the problem lies then? If only we could exit this contract, we would have done so. Extremely disappointed and we are only talking about pre-build process! Would not recommend Metricon at all.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Maagma, We are sorry to read you are unhappy with the pre-build process. We would like to help follow up on the status of your file and ensure that our team is doing everything we can to move f... read more »

Dear Maagma,
We refer to our last correspondence to you. If we can be of further assistance please kindly contact customercare@metricon.com.au with your build details for us to assist.
We await your contact.
Metricon Customer Care

Help follow-up? This will not solve where we are now.

MELBOURNE

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Melbourne Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Deceitful, Poorly managed, Amateurs

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2017

I would consider my situation a typical build with no major hiccups. Generally not a fussy person but i leave it up to you to judge. However, how Metricon conducts business is an absolute shocker. Put it simply, they are not a builder, but just subcontracting most of the work out to contractors with wide fluctuating skills and workmanship. Credit where credit's due, initial sales support was top notch but it went downhill from there, with many many inept & untrained people throughout the process.

- Started off with Studio M where they tried to charge higher prices on items already on contract, blaming it on "new pricing" and oversight.
- Whole studio M was about upselling, recommending items which later don't fit, incompatible with one another, phased out my supplier, color variations. What you see at studio M is not what you get. Workmanship is based on pure luck...just so you know.
- New inexperienced staff handling my paperwork and fluff ups with home orientation and plans between departments. e.g. electricals may have one plan, interiors another. oversight?
- Requested items appear on one version of paperwork and disappear on another later. Yeap oversight?
- Deceitful site manager who falsely reported progress, resulting in finance triggering payment early. I live 10 minutes from the site and regularly drive down to have a look. My 90% payment was triggered end of March 2017 and when i questioned why its reached lock up & interior done when the exterior rendering was not up, no fixtures were in, flooring declared in but none could be seen.
- The answer from finance i got was the general "things are not done in sequence, overall 90% done as per contract". It was clear 90% was not done, but error on my part was letting it go hoping the final 10% of works wouldn't take long...well, it's 2nd July now. 3 months for final 10% work & still counting.
- Home inspection in mid June with normal amount of items to be fixed & promised 2 weeks till handover. That didn't happen, blamed on gas works but my driving over to the site showed that it was not the whole story. Many items flagged during inspection were not fixed as yet.
- they've got till sept to finish based on contract, i don't have a case it seems but they're quick to take your money and deliver poorly just doesn't sit well.
- Again error on my part in trusting the site manager to be on top on things but a relook on my contract helped me recall that i had bought fibre, telephone and tv points, and those were not in during inspection. Conveniently forgotten it seems...ahh yes, oversight?
- Shoddy end product blamed on product selection, when its products recommended by Studio M.
- Don't seem to have a practice of do it once & do it right. Work is generally shoddy and having to get contractors back to rework multiple times.

Well, your experience may vary but buyers beware.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi RSIM, As communicated to you earlier today, we have received your concerns and the matter has been escalated. A member of our team will be in contact with you as soon as we receive further feed... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: May 2015

Bad after completion service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2017

After handover, our rangehood was falling down and we reported to Metricon during the warranty period. They came to "have a look" on numerous occasions but could never fix it and in the end they thought it was the actual product's problem so they asked the manufacturer to come. The manufacturer came to have a look and told us someone from their company will contact us but they never did. Then no one ever asked again and now it's been nearly two years and it is not fixed!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Kay, We are sorry to read that you are unhappy with our service. We would like to help ensure that your concerns are being addressed accordingly and would appreciate if you could please send us... read more »

Metricon Official

Good morning Kay, We have yet to receive a response from you, if there is anything we can still assist with please kindly email your build details to customercare@metricon.com.au and reference th... read more »

Metricon Official

Good afternoon Kay, Thank you for your recent contact with Metricon Customer Care. We confirm that a member of our management team will be attending the supplier inspection at the time arranged w... read more »

Pakenham

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Melbourne Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Metricon "Hate where you live"

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

Right from the start to the end it was not a good experience, the sales process took too long -about three months-, documenting was OK, the worst was the building process where the house wasn't looked after at all, a number of mistakes made by the tradies that haven't been noticed by the supervisor and if we didn't tell him they wouldn't be fixed, to name a few: wrong porch width size, missing bulkhead and missing access door to the back roof space! Incorrect stain was made by Studio M and Metricon is trying to get away with it, we may go to VCAT. In general the quality of finishing was poor, lots of patchy paint and messy architraves & skirting boards, apparently Metricon doesn't have a proper quality control system and it looks like they chose cheap subcontractors. The service period is no better, they don't care much about major issues like faulty evaporative cooler, when we contacted them during the last heat wave they said it is not urgent and would contact you after the holidays period and till the moment we haven't been contacted! Our advice is Do not build with METRICON.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Sam, We have received your feedback and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are very disappointed to read that you have had an unpleasant experience with Metricon, please be assure... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi Sam, Thank you for your recent contact with Metricon. We understand that a member of our Service and Warranty team is currently in contact with you and making arrangements to address any servi... read more »

I will update you once all items are fixed

• 4 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Jun 2014

Great floor plans but terrible workmanship

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

Initially we thought that Metricon were great to build with but sadly we are feeling very disillusioned with the finished product and Metricon's response to the issues. We have terrible brickwork with mortar gaps that vary from 2 mm to around 30 mm with multiple cracks throughout the mortar work. Additionally, the mortar in many places appears very weak and can be scratched out with a finger nail. The mortar really needs to be checked by an accredited laboratory to check its strength - this has also been a recommendation of an independent building inspector who found 23 significant faults with our new home. Metricon's refuse to fund the strength test of the mortar and are suggesting that to "fix" the cracks and other mortar issues that this will result in an even worse appearance. I'm sorry Metricon but this is simply not good enough. We paid for a house that meets the building code standards and don't have what we paid for. We also have brick walls that appear to have 6 to 7 mm bows in them. Have spoke recently with customer care and despite recent photos of crumbling mortar they remain rigid in their stance that they will not fund a mortar quality check and say that if we want this done we need to fund this ourselves.

I would suggest to those who build with Metricon, particularly in the Shepparton should consider checking the strength of your mortar by running a key alone and looking to see in the mortar rubs out easily. I would also recommend for anyone considering building with Mettricon to pay the extra and have your own building inspection - sure wish we did during the build itself. Metricon promised us "love where you live" and they sure haven't delivered.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Chooklet, We value your feedback and thank you for your review. As per recent correspondence, Metricon has responded to your concerns and we await confirmation from you to move forward with any... read more »

I still feel very strongly that Metricon should pay for a mortar strength test. As well as sending you a recent photo of the crumbling mortar we have supplied an specialist building report stating ... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi Chooklet, As previously advised, Item 1 in Metricon's official response states that a mortar test will not be carried out, we are open for you to perform a self funded test where you feel requi... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Sydney Region Construction End Date: Jan 2017

Brilliant Build

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2016

We are building our first new home and in so far it is an emotional purchase we have had nothing but a brilliant experience with Metricon. The flexibility in design and our time with[name removed] was well spent giving us what we wanted in our build. [name removed] as our construction manager has delivered a fantastic product. The back office team of specialists from the electrical team and the interiors team made our final design choices very easy. We are very happy with the final product as it comes together.

June 28th 2017 Update: How our initial impressions changed with Metricon

Unfortunately our initial excitement in building with Metricon has been extinguished. Absolutely no service after you make your final payment. We have had work items outstanding for 5 months. We have re wired our power board. We asked for a sound proof solution multiple times for our windows, paid an upgrade and the windows supplied are not soundproof at all. After multiple visits from the supplier who blames Metricon for not ordering the correct windows, Metricon tried to refund us the cost of the upgrade cost of the windows. $9000.00. Because they got it wrong. But no restitution for the labour we have paid for, no apology, just an attempt to make the problem go away. Unfortunately Metricon have rejected any further claim as they have supplied what was on the contract. But Metricon - [name removed] - I trusted your staff to have the skill to order the correct windows. I do not deny the windows supplied were on the contract, but I am not a window expert. I was paying your organisation for that.

Our site manager, overworked and missing elements of the so called contract, we have been charged for elements not even delivered. The response was well we will refund the missing elements, never mind that we actually wanted them. It is sad because we didn't push, we accepted the excuses, we forgave the lack of meetings and attendance. That is our mistake. Even during our site managers all to brief two week holiday at Christmas he made a comment that we were the only owners who left him alone, everyone else was ringing, obviously the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Sadly we will have to find another way to fix the house and recover the lost money.

We moved in 4 months ago, our defects period ended upon 3 months, it has had to be extended by the Service manager - [name removed] - because there are so many outstanding items.

Windows and doors.
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Have asked site manager and Metricon for purchase order from Metricon to Wideline.
Front facade
Area: External
Description: Cladding creased before installation although promised by site manager would be replaced has not happened.
Windows
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Water incursion during rain.
Bathroom hobs
Area: Bathroom
Description: All bathroom hobs have not been installed as per contract where we paid a separate line item for them.
Sliding doors
Area: My room is not listed
Description: As advised by Wideline door rollers need upgrade as frames too heavy for installed rollers and will fail within 9 months. Should not have been ordered by Metricon in this form.
Windows mitre joints
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Holes to external on some windows which is a manufacturing error or installation error.
Sensor light for outdoor
Area: Front Entry
Description: SDI cable has not been installed so sensor light cannot work. Have had two call outs by electrician to pay for sensor light to be connected at our expense and he could not do job as no SDI cables was found.
Gutter/ roofing external
Area: Front Entry
Description: External gutter outside front door has been cut and not finished properly. Open for birds and vermon to entre.
Awaiting
Grout from shower recess has come out
Area: Ensuite 1
Description: Shower recess in ensuite needs bottom shelf regrouted.
Main bathroom upstairs
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Shower head does not fit properly into rail and is constantly falling off.
Flooring downstairs.
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Have gaps between laminate panels in two (2) areas. Lounge room and dining room.
In Progress
Hot water pressure (Urgent)
Area: Appliances - Heating, Cooling, Appliances
Description: Pressure at kitchen sinks and showers is extremely low.
Main bathroom upstairs
Area: My room is not listed
Description: Silver knobs in both sinks have fallen out.
Solid core door.
Area: Bedroom 5
Description: Solid core door was ordered for guest bedroom, which was labelled living room originally. Contract item 35 page 6 of 16 states solid core door.
In Progress
Tiling still not finished. (Urgent)
Area: Ensuite 2
Description: Tiling around sink in downstairs ensuite is still not finished. Plaster board only which is getting steaming water vapour with each shower.
Awaiting
Linen cupboard has been set up as hanging wardrobe.
Area: Linen / Broom / Coat
Description: Shelves need to be installed for the linen press.
In Progress
Rainwater tank leaking (Urgent)
Area: My room is not listed
Description: One of the pipes for rainwater tank is dripping. Constant erosion of soil at this spot.
In Progress
Gas cook top flame too high. (Urgent)
Area: Appliances - Heating, Cooling, Appliances
Description: Had the plumber look at gas cook top and could not turn down the gas flow as he didn't have the right sized screw driver?
Oven (Urgent)
Area: Appliances - Heating, Cooling, Appliances
Description: Oven is sticking out and not flush with kitchen cupboards. Needs to be set back and finished like the microwave is.
Gas hot water (Urgent)
Area: Appliances - Heating, Cooling, Appliances
Description: Water in the kitchen is not hot enough and takes far too long to heat up.
Awaiting
Laundry door is not double glazing.
Area: Laundry
Description: Have been charged for double glazing and not provided.
Disqualified
All wideline windows and doors
Area: My room is not listed
Description: All glass is toughened glass not soundproof/noise reduction/hush/laminated. Frames are not the right frames for weight of stacker doors or for noise proof/sound proof qualities. I need to sleep as I am a shift worker this needs urgent attention.
Plumbing
Area: Laundry
Description: Drain under laundry sink only has one waste pipe for washing machine to connect too. Dryer cannot be connected until new pipe is installed with double outlet.
Fridge space (Urgent)
Area: Kitchen
Description: The fridge space is 940mm and our plans are 980mm. Cannot fit fridge into space to open doors.

Could have done a lot better.

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi B.Tink, thank you for taking the time to share your 5 STAR experience with our readers! We are proud to know the construction of your very first home has been a brilliant experience. We are plea... read more »

We have had to write a subsequent review. The after sales support has been terrible and some key elements of the build were not supplied within our expectations that a professional building compan... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi B.Tink, We are sorry to read that you have been unhappy with the post build service. We would like to help ensure that your concerns are being addressed, kindly email customercare@metricon.com.... read more »

Brisbane

• 7 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Sep 2015

Big name does not always reliable

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2016

If you are looking for a worry free dream home building experience, better think twice with this name: Metricon.
Pre-site work stage already with multiple errors despite multiple reminders sent. If you think you can trust them and don't check it word by word, you will be regretted as what I am now.
If you found the work not done up to standard, you will get told to accept human errors.
If you don't get what you want originally and did not check the "variation" carefully, you will get told "please respect the contract".
After handover, you will be prompted by their staff to write a good review for them and if you give a 5 stars review, you will receive a present. So don't be surprise why you see some 5 stars reviews and some one star reviews.
No matter how many times you tell them you are the prime contact but emails will still only sent to another owner at overseas.
The Service & Warranty Dept is the WORST among all. Never return phone calls with voicemail left. First anniversary has reached but still with outstanding work not done. If you chase after them, you will get told to contact that trade person yourself.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Dear Karen, Thank you for your review. Since your contact with Metricon in September, we understand that our team has attended to your concerns accordingly. Once again, we apologise that you feel... read more »

Yes, your team did contact me to finish those warranty jobs but all other complaints I made, she told me it is none of her business. I should voice out during construction. She only looks after pos... read more »

Geelong

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Dec 2016

mertiCON. Not a happy customer.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

My husband and I are nearing the end of the construction of our first home and we are not pleased. Through the whole process Metricon have misled us, made promises that were not kept, stuffed up repeatedly, and we've had to triple check documents for planning and payment mistakes (in their favour of course). We have been handled by several staff at each stage...and delayed, delayed, delayed. Needless to say we are unimpressed and exhausted and have had very little help or customer support from Metricon.
Let’s start at the beginning sales and contracts...
1) The sales office. When we signed on the salesman promised us the world. We were even told that at Studio M they had facilities to computer model the colours and lighting options so we could easily visualise the final product and see how many lights we need for each room etc...It sounded fantastic, something that would make the process easy. But this service was not provided.
2) Contract signing. When we signed up we were told that we could get our own plumbers on site during the frame stage to rough in pipes for air con etc. So we teed up our external contractors to do inductions and register with Metricon for site access. However as soon as we started on site, this promise was revoked and we were told this was definitely not possible. This now means it will cost us extra $$ for plumbing jobs at hand over and is something we would have liked to have factored into our build cost prior to signing the contract.
3) Variations post contract signing. We signed our contract prior to the land titling (a practice we later found out later is commonplace but might actually be illegal). Due to this there were some things that we needed to issue variations for once it titled, such as the driveway, and we were told we could do this free of charge. However, when that time came we were charged $500 to make the variations. Again, another Metricon “promise” broken.
4) Customer service in contract stage: At every stage we have been handled by several staff members due to high turnover, making the process full of delays and repetition. To start with we were handled by two different staff members after our first contract manager quit. The second girl managing us was new to Metricon, delayed us whilst she was in training, was unprofessional, terrible at communicating and generally more hindrance than help. The following things went wrong:
a) Metricon "overlooked" a council-laid water pipe adjacent to our property. We found out after signing the contract that this could compromise the integrity of our slab and as a consequence the slab was required to be reinforced. Metricon then tried to charge us $4K for this slab upgrade, and it took my husband standing his ground, following up with councils and doing some legal homework, and arguing with several levels of management that we should not be charged extra for Metricon’s mistake. Metricon tried negotiating to pay half…we didn’t budge. They eventually waived the cost after a stressful four weeks.
b) We upgraded our stove and range from 600mm to 900mm. A fairly simple request. However on our variations Metricon charged us twice for the 600mm and again for the 900mm stove and range. I informed them that this was incorrect. I was told I was just confused by the figures. I pointed out that the calculations were wrong again, and was again assured that they weren’t. On the third try the calculations reviewed by finance and (surprise surprise) I was correct. We got a new correct variation drawn up…but just imagine if I hadn’t have checked??? Lesson learnt- stick to your guns with these guys or you’ll be ripped off.
Now for the build.
4) We started off ok with the build. We got all the way to the frame stage when we noticed our big lounge room feature window was positioned directly on the slab. We had asked for it to be “the same as the display” with a midi wall under it. However this had not been included in the plan, and not being building professionals we didn’t notice their incorrectly drawn elevations. So we entered into negotiations with the foreman to fix this. Despite us getting a 3rd party builder to advise us on how to lift the window, we were told it simply could not be done and we would only get it lifted about 10cm off the slab. We were not entirely happy but agreed to the compromise, until the plastering was done and the skirts were installed in the house. Because the window was not high enough, the trades simply planed off the skirt under the window to fit. Now we have a huge dip in the skirt in the middle of the lounge. This is not acceptable. We have since entered into negotiations with Merticon to lift this window further but this requires re-bricking the house and more changes to plastering…this saga continues...
6) Somewhere during this window saga our first foreman left and we have since been allocated a new one. It has been 10 weeks since our original foreman finished and we haven’t had any real progress on the house. 10 weeks ago we were told it would be 5 weeks to hand over…now we still can’t be given a date. Communication between us and the new foreman has been predominantly instigated by us. Things only seem to happen when we insist and it’s becoming exhausting! This also continues…
5) We took the initiative to get a private inspector through the house following being told it was almost ready for one final paint out before handover. Throughout the house our external inspector identified breaches in building code, shoddy workmanship including the bricking (uneven joints and perps and unrolled mortar), excess builders bog EVERYWHERE, scratched window frames (which we are told won’t be replaced, simply touched up), uneven and chipped tiles, uneven draw handles…the list goes on. It seems Metricon were going to leave it all as was and just see if we accepted it. Lesson here, get a third party to check the work on the house before you accept it.
As we steadily march towards Christmas (and our contract expires on the 24th Dec) I am getting more and more dubious that I will have a decent quality house to live in in the new year…
In summary (if anyone got this far) DO NOT BUILD WITH METRICON! It’s been a stressful experience and we have been mismanaged and dealt with incompetence and had to push for our rights every step of the way.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Metricon Official

Hi Megan, We are dissapointed to read that you have been unhappy throughout the building process with Metricon. We would like the opportunity to help ensure that your concerns are being attended t... read more »

Metricon Official

Hi Megan, Thank you for your recent contact with Customer Care. Your matter has been escalated to our Regional building team, we understand that our Construction Manager has been in contact with ... read more »

Almost one month later and after several more on site visits and meetings with Metricon we brought back our independent inspector to help us out after being told several things about our identified... read more »

1 of 3 pages