• 6 comments
  • 1 question
  • 10 answers
  • 36 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

saving so much $$$$$$ in electricity and ample hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

Got this on offer.
$250 after government rebates, Easy to order off Chromagen (you do need to pay balance upfront to start the order being processed )very polite and helpfull phone operator,took about 6 weeks from ordering to installing ,cost me $250 installed, including new heat/scolding protection and extra plumbing,The fitters were brilliant got on with the job and left the area clean and tidy,and took old electric tank away after decommissioning it (thank you ) we live in west Victoria which can be cool and cloudy most mornings .We have solar panels giving us ample daytime power,this water heater allows you to easily set timer to operate through the day when solar is working and ambient temp is at its best for heat pump, (i have it on economy setting which uses heat pump only) i have set timer to come on at 10am to 7.30pm at night,(off all night) it only comes on to heat water using heat pump and solar when needed about 3hrs a day then turns off unless you are using hot water which it replaces during timer settings.The heat pump produces water evaporation which runs into ground via a pipe or you can just sit pipe into a plant pot for self watering plants.There is only 2 of us living here and find this is very safe,cheap and efficient way of getting just about free hot water.temp of water usually 62c on turn off and remains around 52-55c overnight (most nights are around 3-6c ) plenty of water for morning showers,looks great runs very quiet and plumber reckons it will last about 10 years?Anticipate savings of upto $500 per year using solar to work it compared to old heater which used overnight low rate electricity.Did notice first few days the hot water seemed 'FIZZY' but that has settled now. WERE VERY PLEASED . please be aware if there is a power outage timer will need resetting.

Lang Lang, Vic

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Jan 2017

This is a money saver!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I had a 7 year old electric system and I replaced it with a Chromogen 170L and could not be happier. My power bill has reduced by hundreds of dollars every quarter and we never run out of hot water. The staff and installation people were lovely and the swapover was over in a couple of hours.

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Fizzled out 3 months out of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

Rude reception staff, poor cover design, parts don't even last a year.

- Rude: I questioned the warranty period with Australian Consumer law. The response was negative, and when I accepted the estimated quote for repair, I was forced to pay upfront. I contacted Chromogen again, and got the same girl, and she explained that because I had begrudgingly accepted the repair, I must pay up front. The service technician had never heard of this before.

Some might look at this as me being a bit overly cocky, and sure of some legislation here in Australia to protect consumers, and that might be a fair call. However i think its an overwhelmingly fair call to say that when you build a brand new house, and a brand new hot water system breaks down a few months out of warranty, the product didn't live up to a reasonable expectation, and was not fit for its purpose for such a young lifespan.

- Poor cover design: The magnetic cover is held on by magnets with no more strength than a fridge magnet. This seems like a poor design to me.

- Parts don't even last a year: The part that broke down was a small sensor, with a wire attached and plugged into a main board. This part didn't look overly complex, and was not a mechanical part. The fact that it broke, or stopped working suggests to me the part was perhaps defective in manufacture and died prematurely.

PURNIM VIA WRRNAMBOOL AUS

• 7 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Have not had a bill yet but is due soon, but had my family home gone from 2 persons to 10 persons with 4 children did not run out of water, water seems softer I don't know why however the the 170 litre is working fine with 55 degrees being the lowest temp and 62 the highest we are very satisfied good work government subsidy.

Adelaide

• 5 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Very nice unit.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

The unit is working really well. I have not had a power bill yet but im sure it will be better with this new unit. My old unit was about 30 yrs old and seem to heat all the time. Was happy with the price I paid with the government rebates it was a great deal. The only issue was I had to pay extra for my electrical switch in the fuse box. It needed to be upgraded which I totally understand. But would of been nice if I was advised at the time of ordering that this might be possible. I had to pay for the on the day of installation or the unit would of not been installed. Lucky I had enough money to cover it. The guys that came to install the unit were very friendly. Will update this when I get my next power bill.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

chromagen Midea 280Lt heat pump

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced our old solar unit with a Chromagen Midea 280L Heat Pump
biggest mistake i have ever made were told it will help reduce our power bill what a load of rubbish the power bills
went through the roof when i rang ghromagen and asked to talk to a technician was told he would ring back no reply
not happy with this product at all.

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Read the terms and conditions!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Like anything in this world, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. When enquiring about this $0 dollar hotwater changeover offer by Chromagen, I was informed it was completely free. Rebates take care of everything! All plumbing, all electrical and they would drain and remove the old tank. Sounds great! But then there was a catch, because my existing unit was a gravity fed unit I would incur additional costs for new valvewear and roof to external pipework. Even with these upfront charges ($649), I decided it was still a good deal and signed up. After a very long wait (approx 7 weeks) I finally had the unit installed. But sure enough, there was now even more hidden additional costs! Now I need a new power circuit for an additional $250, even though my switchboard has been upgraded less than 6 months ago? How did $0 now become $899? Then I actually sat down and researched the amount of REC's these units get and the amount of money the company gets back, aswell as the Renewal energy target incentives, These guys are basically charging upwards of $3k for these imported chinese units? What a rip off, wish I had gone with another company. One last thing, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS!!! they basically state if anything doesn't go right with install or REC's can't be claimed or similar, you are liable for FULL INSTALL! Buyers beware.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

DIY heat pump with existing solar system

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

I buy this unit and connect it in series with the solar 370 litre gas booater Euora hot water system, I disconnected the heating element in the chromagen 170 litre, so there will be no chance of using it, which is quite expensive to use electricity to heat up water.

AS a result, a 540 liter system existed with low temp zone and high temp zone in the chromagen.

It work good for 6 months now.

Brisbane

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

An Excellent Hot Water Unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced a Chromagen Solar Unit ( a piece of rubbish) with a new Midea Heat Pump system. I figured that an air conditioner manufacturer should understand heat pump technology, and so far I am very happy. The unit has an in built timer and allows me to control the running time to during daylight hours when I get the benefit of the solar PV panels. Very tidy looking, easy to use the timer. Quiet operation. I will update when we see the next electricity bill. . . . .

Private message

Has been a great product and has saved me on power costs

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

I am very happy having this hot water unit its been a big saving in costs and works wonderful would recommend it to any one interested as you sure will see the difference it makes in your home

Wantirna South, Victoria

• 4 answers

An excellent product Time will Tell

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 02, 2017

A fantastic product so far,can only comment on a short period of time in operation as is new.However the guys who installed the unit were terrific,very professional,the unit looks great and works well.

So far so good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2017

I am very happy with this hot water system. Looks good works well my power bill is down. The young men that installed it were fantastic. The company has been very helpful and nice. I would have no problem recommending them.

Works very well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

Our last system was not hot enough to wash the dishes, we had to boil the jug to add to the sink, now we don't. We have a Solar system that runs the Midea 170L during the day.

Brand new and professional installation. Absolutely fantastic.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Received new hot water service promptly, installed quickly and professionally. Looks new age and not like an ugly add on and works perfect. Purchased as secondary hot water system for visitors bathroom and haven't ran out of hot water yet! Thank you.

excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Very economical, works well and easy to operate. Takes up little space, much better than the electric heater it replaced. A great government initiative, should be available to more people.

Excellent, works great. Have no issues and always have plenty of hot water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2016

I recommend installing this unit to anyone considering replacing you old electric hot water unit.
We have had two of these units installed, one domestic and another commercial use.
Their response from my initial contact was very prompt, polite and obliging.
The installation persons (plumber and electrician) were very competent and professional, about an hour to install.
I would be happy to pay full price for these units, if the government rebate was not available.

Quite an improvement over the electric gravity feed hot water system.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2016

We may not have had this unit installed were it not for the government incentives. The unit has exceeded our expectations .The 170 L unit stores More than enough for three to four people.The water temperature is perfect and pressure adequate given we work off tanks and pumps.
The installation was carried out efficiently by two skilled and friendly tradesmen.I have recommended Chromegen to friends as a consequence of my positive experience .

Good product!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2016

I upgraded from a very old electric HWS. Like so many others, I was persuaded by the Government rebate on this unit to proceed with the purchase. I know it is a lot more energy efficient than my old HWS and that makes me feel good. The installation went ahead without any problems and I recommend this unit highly.

EILDON

• 7 helpful votes

Excellent power saver.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2016

I must admit I originally purchased the heat pump because it was free with government rebates. But now after the quick and simple installation I would still have purchased the pump if I had to pay for it.
The power savings and practicality of the unit are excellent.
I have gone from a 400L hot water service to a 170L heater pump with an estimated 70% reduction in my water heating bill.
I'm very happy.

Money saver

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2016

The hot water system does the job very well with enough hot water for 2 of us. Looking forward to seeing the savings on our power bill. The guys were very friendly and answered any questions I asked them.

1 of 2 pages

how do you change the temperature on the water heater?

Bruno asked on Oct 19, 2017

Answer this

hi bruno. never had to change mine on default heat pump set up, turns on at 55c or below and off at 62/63c. But i understand once you have unlocked the set up system you turn it on then press mode button to change temp with up and down arrows, up to 65c i think,but unsure if on other modes.why would you want to change default temps? as system will only let 50c into house anyway and turn on automatically outside these temps? hope this helps, if you have a manual, instructions are in there or you can download a free manual online. cheers trev

Are these available for people like me who have a gas unit , i have a solar heater for my hot water with gas backup but also i habe a 5 kw solar panels Thanks Carolyn

Carolyn M asked on Oct 19, 2017

Answer this

hi carolyn not sure on that one, but give chromagen a call they will advise whats possible Phone: 1300 367 565. i found them very helpful and easy to get the right advice without sales pressure or email www.chromagen.com.au hope this helps.trevor

Re the chromagen midea 170 l..is the unit fairly standard in size, is it noisy as I have seen several comments on other sites claiming it's noisy and does it really save money on your electicity bill?

Eileen K asked on Oct 16, 2017

Answer this

hi .its is the quietest hot water heat pump around, about the same noise as fridge or small split system air con, its at the back of our house outside and honestly we never hear it unless walking close or past it.its only 170lt so not too big.(designed for 2/3 people but many have more in family and just works harder ) we run it through the day (turns off when at max temp on heat pump only) as we have it set on timer for daytime only(clock needs resetting if you have a power cut but on/off timer remains set)so no noise at all at night,we have solar ,so it is virtually free hot water but yes it is very economical even on day rate electricity compared to night rate electric hot water storage. eg on heat pump setting (economy) turns on at 55c off at 62c if not on timer.on average days takes 2-3hrs to heat from cool.uses 700watts compared to 3500watts night electric heater so yes we find it very economical.we do find that it is now mandatory for anti scold valve to be fitted so although heats to 62/65c only lets 50c hot water into house which takes a bit of getting used to but definatly safer for older and younger people.So far i'm impressed. how long will it last?how long is a piece of string lol? hope this helps trevor

We run it on heat pump only and I only hear it when I am standing within 3-5 meters from it. It's next to a bedroom wall at my house and about 3 meters from a window (which is around a corner) and cannot be heard inside at all. When I had it installed my house was electric only and it lowered my power bill by about $300 a quater (In Vic).

See all 27 questions about Chromagen Midea 170L Heat Pump