pooraka south australia

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Big mistake

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

Had a chromagen heat pump after seeing the add on television for a free new hot water system but l paid for the larger system as l have four adults living on the property, big mistake during the summer l get similar results as l had with the off peak storage but during the winter my bill skyrockets as a result l pay around $500 month that's right a month not a quarter. l rang them all last winter and asked them to send somebody out to have a look at it and all l go was try this try that and of cause everytime l try something else l have to wait another month to see if it worked. the system appears to be crap but how would l know if they will not send anybody to have a look at the dam thing and see if the settings are correct or if it is faulty, if you get a good one that's fine but if you get a lemon then the after sales service is none existent, l hate bagging anything but have reached breaking point and struggling to pay my electricity bill l cant afford a new hot water system and l cant afford to continue to pay $500 a month for electricity, so think very seriously about grabbing what looks like its too good to be true deal, as you might end up in the same boat as me.

• 2 questions
  • 6 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Perfect partner to solar panels.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

Had this unit installed in conjunction with 30 solar panels. It is very efficient, using solar output to supplement the heat pump. You can set the times you want it to use solar energy being produced, and when to switch off. The various settings seem daunting, but if you carefully read the (downloadable) manual it's pretty DIY. I had to do that as the installer made a mess of the settings and we had no hot water the following day. Assume I need to do a complete reset every time there is a power outage or blip. Will see. Overall, very happy with the economic benefits.

Hobart

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Excellent! Our Power Bill has halved!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Couldn't be happier! We waited until we've compared 2 bills. Both are halved. We also compared to other Heat Pump HWS's and Chromagen is much more affordable. Very impressed. Great value! Lots of features. Not too noisy. Easy installation. Even able to have long showers now. Love it! Happy customer.

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Not happy with chromagen Midea 170l heat pump

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

every time there is a power outage, I have to go out and reset the computer system otherwise I don't have any hot water, so if I go away for a few days and the power happens to go off, when I get back no hot water and have to reset it and wait until it heats up again, I got rid of a perfectly good hot water system and replaced with this heap of crap, wouldn't recommend the 170l apparently the 280l sets itself, what is wrong with technology. pity the poor old people that aren't computer savvy, so if you do change to a Chromagen heat pump go the 280l if you don't want any hassles, you are not told this before it is installed, I was told it is all in the manual, but you don't get the manual until it's installed, ??? derrrr.

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Saved me $$$$$

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

As everyone else, I was a bit sceptical at first. How can a HWS ‘save’ money? This unit is fantastic & has cut my electricity bill in 1/2. I’m on tank water so every drop is precious. Highly recommend this unit. Thank you Because of this unit I can finally have a bath (something my old unit wouldn’t allow.

Date Purchased: Apr 2012

Bloody Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2018

Chromogen tanks are the biggest pieces of junk you ever come across. Investing in one of their tanks was a huge mistake. After the first tank was repaced on warranty the second tank has now failed. I'm giving up and is switching back to another brand at my own cost. These guys really suck buyer beware.

STRATHALBYN

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

So far, so good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

So far, so good. I had the Midea 170 litre heat pump installed a week ago. The plumber and the electrician were both excellent.They were friendly and efficient and the installation was complete early in the afternoon. The unit is very quiet when operating and hardly starts up during the day. I replaced an old electric ceiling unit with the Midea so I will be interested to see my next power bill.

Kerang

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Never runs out of hot water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

Have found this to be excellent, never runs out of hot water. Can use hybrid mode for colder winter nights where it switches to power under 4 degrees. Can also operate as a normal hot water service and use off peak power if you choose to. But 99% of the time economy mode is perfect. Must be saving us at least $100 per bill

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2016

DIY Chromagen 170L heat pump as hot zone

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 12, 2018

adding Chromagen 170 L heat pump as the hot zone with the existing solar 315 L solarhart seperate tank system as low temp Zone , to make a 485 Litre water system ....... also power by 6kw solar panel at day time, so make it nearly free to run ...... installed for 16 months now and no problem at all, I also disconnected the electric heater in the Chromagen 170 L to force it to run the heat pump. After the install of the solar panels, 2017 summer quarter bill is $669 and 2018 summer is $207 for both electricity and gas, drop 69%

Purchased at: eBay

Keperra

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Excellent savings. Great system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 28, 2018

Plenty of hot water for our needs (2 adults). Used in conjunction with our solar this has proved to be an excellent choice over our old gas hot water system. We have the timer set to turn off at 4 am and on at 3pm at the recommendations of the installer, as we have solar. Time will tell if it provides the same savings over winter.

Purchased at: Solargain

• 1 question
  • 4 answers

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Good little machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2017

Been using Rheem Heat pump for last 10 years. At the beginning it was good, that it started to cost us big money.
Service calls, recirculating pumps, thermostat sensors. Finally, it died.

Replaced with yet another Heat Pump.
So far so good. Very happy.
Hopping it will last longer & serve us well.

Purchased at: Chromagen Australia

Loxton

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Do not buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

We have had our Midea Hot water system for just over 2 years. It is now out of warranty. I first contacted Chromagen at the beginning of October who said that the unit was out of warranty. I then contacted our local plumber who installed the unit originally. We need a sensor wire (code on unit P3). I was told they had ordered the part. It is now the end of November. We have waited nearly two months for our unit to be fixed but every time I contact our local plumber I am told that Chromagen do not have any parts left in Australia and have ordered more. So for two months we have had the unit beeping day and night, we run out of hot water and as yet we still do not have the part. The unit is costing us more to run as its not working correctly. I hate to imagine our next electricity bill as it will be massive because of this unit. Please save yourself a big headache and don't buy this hot water system.

shepparton

• 7 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Bills skyrocketed - Not good on Controlled Load meter

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

My landlord had this unit installed, and I expected it to be great, as it's advertised to save heaps of money. However it apparently can't be used if you have a controlled load meter. It might use less electricity than the old unit, but what it does is billed at a higher rate! Think it's probably cost me an extra $3-400 extra this year..

• 8 comments
  • 1 question
  • 21 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

saving so much $$$$$$ in electricity and ample hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

Got this on offer.
$250 after government rebates, Easy to order off Chromagen (you do need to pay balance upfront to start the order being processed )very polite and helpfull phone operator,took about 6 weeks from ordering to installing ,cost me $250 installed, including new heat/scolding protection and extra plumbing,The fitters were brilliant got on with the job and left the area clean and tidy,and took old electric tank away after decommissioning it (thank you ) we live in west Victoria which can be cool and cloudy most mornings .We have solar panels giving us ample daytime power,this water heater allows you to easily set timer to operate through the day when solar is working and ambient temp is at its best for heat pump, (i have it on economy setting which uses heat pump only) i have set timer to come on at 10am to 7.30pm at night,(off all night) it only comes on to heat water using heat pump and solar when needed about 3hrs a day then turns off unless you are using hot water which it replaces during timer settings.The heat pump produces water evaporation which runs into ground via a pipe or you can just sit pipe into a plant pot for self watering plants.There is only 2 of us living here and find this is very safe,cheap and efficient way of getting just about free hot water.temp of water usually 62c on turn off and remains around 52-55c overnight (most nights are around 3-6c ) plenty of water for morning showers,looks great runs very quiet and plumber reckons it will last about 10 years?Anticipate savings of upto $500 per year using solar to work it compared to old heater which used overnight low rate electricity.Did notice first few days the hot water seemed 'FIZZY' but that has settled now. WERE VERY PLEASED . please be aware if there is a power outage timer will need resetting.

Lang Lang, Vic

• 3 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2017

This is a money saver!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I had a 7 year old electric system and I replaced it with a Chromogen 170L and could not be happier. My power bill has reduced by hundreds of dollars every quarter and we never run out of hot water. The staff and installation people were lovely and the swapover was over in a couple of hours.

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Fizzled out 3 months out of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

Rude reception staff, poor cover design, parts don't even last a year.

- Rude: I questioned the warranty period with Australian Consumer law. The response was negative, and when I accepted the estimated quote for repair, I was forced to pay upfront. I contacted Chromogen again, and got the same girl, and she explained that because I had begrudgingly accepted the repair, I must pay up front. The service technician had never heard of this before.

Some might look at this as me being a bit overly cocky, and sure of some legislation here in Australia to protect consumers, and that might be a fair call. However i think its an overwhelmingly fair call to say that when you build a brand new house, and a brand new hot water system breaks down a few months out of warranty, the product didn't live up to a reasonable expectation, and was not fit for its purpose for such a young lifespan.

- Poor cover design: The magnetic cover is held on by magnets with no more strength than a fridge magnet. This seems like a poor design to me.

- Parts don't even last a year: The part that broke down was a small sensor, with a wire attached and plugged into a main board. This part didn't look overly complex, and was not a mechanical part. The fact that it broke, or stopped working suggests to me the part was perhaps defective in manufacture and died prematurely.

PURNIM VIA WRRNAMBOOL AUS

• 7 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Have not had a bill yet but is due soon, but had my family home gone from 2 persons to 10 persons with 4 children did not run out of water, water seems softer I don't know why however the the 170 litre is working fine with 55 degrees being the lowest temp and 62 the highest we are very satisfied good work government subsidy.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 5 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Very nice unit.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

The unit is working really well. I have not had a power bill yet but im sure it will be better with this new unit. My old unit was about 30 yrs old and seem to heat all the time. Was happy with the price I paid with the government rebates it was a great deal. The only issue was I had to pay extra for my electrical switch in the fuse box. It needed to be upgraded which I totally understand. But would of been nice if I was advised at the time of ordering that this might be possible. I had to pay for the on the day of installation or the unit would of not been installed. Lucky I had enough money to cover it. The guys that came to install the unit were very friendly. Will update this when I get my next power bill.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

chromagen Midea 280Lt heat pump

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced our old solar unit with a Chromagen Midea 280L Heat Pump
biggest mistake i have ever made were told it will help reduce our power bill what a load of rubbish the power bills
went through the roof when i rang ghromagen and asked to talk to a technician was told he would ring back no reply
not happy with this product at all.

• 6 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Read the terms and conditions!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Like anything in this world, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. When enquiring about this $0 dollar hotwater changeover offer by Chromagen, I was informed it was completely free. Rebates take care of everything! All plumbing, all electrical and they would drain and remove the old tank. Sounds great! But then there was a catch, because my existing unit was a gravity fed unit I would incur additional costs for new valvewear and roof to external pipework. Even with these upfront charges ($649), I decided it was still a good deal and signed up. After a very long wait (approx 7 weeks) I finally had the unit installed. But sure enough, there was now even more hidden additional costs! Now I need a new power circuit for an additional $250, even though my switchboard has been upgraded less than 6 months ago? How did $0 now become $899? Then I actually sat down and researched the amount of REC's these units get and the amount of money the company gets back, aswell as the Renewal energy target incentives, These guys are basically charging upwards of $3k for these imported chinese units? What a rip off, wish I had gone with another company. One last thing, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS!!! they basically state if anything doesn't go right with install or REC's can't be claimed or similar, you are liable for FULL INSTALL! Buyers beware.

1 of 2 pages