Langwarrin

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2017

The best investment we’ve ever made

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2018

This has to be the best investment we’ve ever made! I don’t understand the bad reviews - we’ve had this unit for over 12 months with no issues whatsoever. Delivery and installation were faultless. Our electricity bills have been halved and we are singing this product’s praises to everyone we encounter!

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Insulation is poor so the thing actually costs you more

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2018

I got one of these recently to replace a Dux unit that was out of warranty and Dux just didnt want to fix it even if I was offering to pay. Dux are so useless they design units they are redundant - so much for 'sustainability'. Anyway this unit is somewhat quieter but has WOEFUL insulation. I have set the timer for it to run from 8 am to 8pm, this morning when I got up, water was at 30C!! My Dux was so well insulated at least it reattained heat when it switched off overnight/. This is system is better as a pool heater than a domestic HotWater system. It's not such a 'smart' system if you have to keep it on all day to keep sustainable hot water. Big FAIL Chromagen.

Adelaide

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Serious Design Flaws

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2018

This thing seriously comes up short in some very obvious design flaws that can cost you money.

Firstly, if the power goes out, even for a second, ALL presets are lost and if you don't notice this has occurred then when you do want hot water it could well be lukewarm or cold, depending on the duration before next use and/or noticing it has occurred.

Secondly, the tank insulation is pathetic, you can almost watch the degrees dropping away on the readout after your preset timer has switched off so basically you need to overheat your water way above 60c for it to be warm enough 20 hrs later. Heat loss is just terrible compared with my old straight electric Rheem.

Thirdly, and most importantly to me, if you have it set to 'Economy Mode' then that's where you'd want it to stay, bearing in mind that you no longer have 'cheap' overnight electricity tariff because it is a heat pump and not only a standard resistive load element heater like your previous, so therefore cannot work efficiently at night and has been wired directly to your FULL price tariff during the day.
Your new 'smart' meter no more recognizes your new heat pump water heater than an electric oven or electric bar heater. Not so 'smart' for you and very 'smart' for your power provider.

Now whenever the parameters of the heat pump aren't met and the ambient temperature (the air temp around it - and you) is outside of normal running temp i.e. 40c then it switches to "eHeater mode" without you even knowing it (no one is going to be standing in front of the heater watching the panel to see if this occurs).

Now keep that in mind when on stinking hot days, which is common as hell (literally) in an Australian summer, this stupid thing will automatically default to 'eHeater' Mode'. So what is 'eHeater Mode'? A hot water tank element, or resistive load, EXACTLY the same as your old water heater that was running on CHEAP tariff.

You see the dilemma here? You are now paying top dollar for electricity to run your water heater that once was relatively cheap to run, and that's the clincher, that this occurs on REALLY hot days when the last thing you are looking for is hot water i.e. 30>40cents per kWh to heat your water when you least want it.
It will even do it out of your preset timer settings if your water didn't reach the preset thermostat cut-off temp before timer timed out.
The only option is to manually change your settings or just switch the stupid thing off at the wall, that of course causing problem #1 all over again.

Last but definitely not least, this is a 'mechanical device' with back up static resistive heating element. That means it is the same as your old hot water service BUT for the great big reversed cycle air conditioner (heat pump) sitting astride the standard heater (that's how it gets it's dalek looks)
That means a whole raft of parts including a compressor, fan, condensor, evaporator, and of course 134a gas looking for quite a few places to leak. NONE of which were on the standard heater. Remember, this sits out in the elements in most installations as it is not efficient indoors (same issue as overnight setting)

These are not even compatible with solar hot water panels either, making them almost redundant.

Incidentally all the cold air produced as a 'by-product' of the heat pump cycle just gets pumped straight back into the surrounding air, completely going to waste. I intend on re-routing this after the warranty period, that's assuming it lasts that long.There is so much wrong with the design of these things that could have been easily rectified pre-production BEFORE sales.
BTW, my old hot water service was about 12 years old when it was removed and because it had had the sacrificial anode replaced regularly had nothing wrong with it. Part of the government rebate was that it got a hole drilled in it so it couldn't be re-used. It's just the 'pink batts' pencil-necked geek thing all over again, some genius in a 'government think-tank' (oxymoron) looking for ways to use up the budget.

Purchased at: Chromagen

victoria

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: May 2018

Terrible product and appalling service!! Avoid!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

The product was faulty, supplying either inadequate hot water or none at all, and yet my tenant received an increase of 15% on their water bill. When confronted, Chromagen were both ignorant and unhelpful. After many attempts and a week of no hot water, a service provider was contacted by Chromagen and sent to repair the unit. After being informed there would be no cost should the unit be dysfunctional, I then received a bill. I have just been the recipient of a highly abusive and threatening call as a result of questioning this account, being told "I will come to your suburb and make it worth my while!". This matter is still unresolved and I will be taking it further. I highly urge anyone considering this product to seriously reconsider!!!

170 lt

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

Very happy with the service we received after a problem was detected ‘ notified them on FB and they rang me that day, no fuss tradies and simply set it on economy mode without the timer and away it goes, I’ve recommended it to friends and they are going on with it to. Great system

Dunkeld

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Rubbish and no service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

Got one of these units installed august 2016 when our 40 year old (second hand) unit died. Chromagen we very happy to sell us one immediately, and had a crew out in oh, lets see, maybe a fortnight. Well it takes ages to heat water on economy, and every time the weather gets cold, it tries to switch to straight electrical, as it is supposed to. Our poor choice of unit I suppose. The real gripe though, 10 months in, every time it gets cold and it switches to straight electrical, it error codes, get home from work and no hot water. Still in warranty, so we ring chromagen, (June 2017), "we'll get some one out to look at it". It is now september 2018. Many phone calls to chromagen, Many phone calls to the subcontractor, "2 weeks", "call you next week", "I don't know why no one has fixed it yet", Just got told "wednesday". 14 months waiting, customer service rating of 0. Rate the unit at 2, it's slightly better than a 44 gallon drum over a fire.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Recommend it to everyone

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I think the people giving bad reviews are either on the receiving end of faulty installation or a faulty product, because we have been running the 170L model since 2106 and and have never had a problem. I suggest you download the manual and have a look at what you are doing wrong? Our household fluctuates between 3-5 adults and 1 child. We are able to shower twice a day, and take baths, run a dishwasher and wash up. We have only run out of hot water once after an excessively long shower (ridiculous) was taken by a guest at night.

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Reduction in electricity costs

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

We have no complaint with our Chromagen Hot Water System at this point in time, the proof of which is stated in our Electricity Statements. dodo Power & Gas: "Your Average Daily Usage was 18.63 kWh for this bill". "Your usage was 25.86 kWh for the same time last year." You would have to be happy with that! We are.

• 1 comment
  • 3 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Absolutely rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

I replaced a good 120 lt off peak unit for the 170 lt Midea heat pump believing the hype that they were cheaper to run plus being larger I would have lots more hot water when visitors stayed, what a joke. My off peak was always hot, the 170 lt Midea we cant even get 2 full showers out of it and most times when I walk outside it's heating up I think it's on more than it's not. My advice don't touch them.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Have spoken with Chromagen who have informed me it should be set at 60 degrees, they also are sending someone out to check so I will comment more after they have been

Ballarat

• 18 answers

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Much better than my old unit!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

Had this installed and am so pleased that we did. The hot water is virtually instantaneous and not at all like the other unit we had - anything up to a minute before the hot water tap ran hot!
Adjustable so that it can be turned right down for when the little ones come to visit.
So far, very pleased with the unit but of course, time will tell.

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2018

Since installation electricity bill is 1/3 what it was i have it set so it only heats during the day as we have 5 KW of solar on the roof.
We are just two but it fulfils all our needs.
Mother inlaw has had hers put in got first bill an is over the moon with the savings

WORST THING EVER.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2018

Mongrel landlord installed these so he could get all the govt kickbacks. Power bill has TRIPLED> NO OFFPEAK power in the house at all.
I have 2 x 70+ year old neighbours who turn their hot water off all day 4 days a week due to costs.
I get 23 mins hot water in the morning, and then have to wait 4+ hours for it to reheat. We have 190L units.
Absolute CRAP. Now stuck with HUGE bills as the landlord is a fool.

Ballarat

• 18 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Absolute Garbage, Very Expensive to run, Poor Service, Total lack of care,

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

I have the exact same problem. I too purchased the larger unit 280 liters, on chromagens advise. My power bill has gone up by $8.00 per day. I live in Ballarat, and have always read my meter on a weekly basis, and know exactly what costs money and where it costs. I can totally eliminate every thing else, and as such it is purely the hot water service. I have rang chromagen twice, and had zero response from them. They duck shove you from one person to the next, and the comment is "I don't know why they sent you to me, I am in the --------- department, I will put you through to the correct department, and guess what, the same response. I have been told that the technical department will ring me back on three separate occasions, and the calls never come. Chromagen did at one stage say that it was all on the installer in Ballarat. I have contacted the installer Seba Developments, 11 Wilsons Lane Sebastapol, Ashley Evans, and have been told that the plumber, and electrician will be coming out asap, to check it out. That was 2 weeks ago.
It seems like once the money has been paid, and the government rebates collected, they don't want to know you.
I can't believe that in this day and age, shoddy products, and dubious business practices can be accepted.
Please carefully consider my words, and weigh it up for yourself.

pooraka south australia

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Big mistake

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

Had a chromagen heat pump after seeing the add on television for a free new hot water system but l paid for the larger system as l have four adults living on the property, big mistake during the summer l get similar results as l had with the off peak storage but during the winter my bill skyrockets as a result l pay around $500 month that's right a month not a quarter. l rang them all last winter and asked them to send somebody out to have a look at it and all l go was try this try that and of cause everytime l try something else l have to wait another month to see if it worked. the system appears to be crap but how would l know if they will not send anybody to have a look at the dam thing and see if the settings are correct or if it is faulty, if you get a good one that's fine but if you get a lemon then the after sales service is none existent, l hate bagging anything but have reached breaking point and struggling to pay my electricity bill l cant afford a new hot water system and l cant afford to continue to pay $500 a month for electricity, so think very seriously about grabbing what looks like its too good to be true deal, as you might end up in the same boat as me.

• 1 comment
  • 2 questions
  • 6 answers

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Perfect partner to solar panels.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

Had this unit installed in conjunction with 30 solar panels. It is very efficient, using solar output to supplement the heat pump. You can set the times you want it to use solar energy being produced, and when to switch off. The various settings seem daunting, but if you carefully read the (downloadable) manual it's pretty DIY. I had to do that as the installer made a mess of the settings and we had no hot water the following day. Assume I need to do a complete reset every time there is a power outage or blip. Will see. Overall, very happy with the economic benefits.

Hobart

• 4 answers

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Excellent! Our Power Bill has halved!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Couldn't be happier! We waited until we've compared 2 bills. Both are halved. We also compared to other Heat Pump HWS's and Chromagen is much more affordable. Very impressed. Great value! Lots of features. Not too noisy. Easy installation. Even able to have long showers now. Love it! Happy customer.

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Not happy with chromagen Midea 170l heat pump

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

every time there is a power outage, I have to go out and reset the computer system otherwise I don't have any hot water, so if I go away for a few days and the power happens to go off, when I get back no hot water and have to reset it and wait until it heats up again, I got rid of a perfectly good hot water system and replaced with this heap of crap, wouldn't recommend the 170l apparently the 280l sets itself, what is wrong with technology. pity the poor old people that aren't computer savvy, so if you do change to a Chromagen heat pump go the 280l if you don't want any hassles, you are not told this before it is installed, I was told it is all in the manual, but you don't get the manual until it's installed, ??? derrrr.

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Saved me $$$$$

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

As everyone else, I was a bit sceptical at first. How can a HWS ‘save’ money? This unit is fantastic & has cut my electricity bill in 1/2. I’m on tank water so every drop is precious. Highly recommend this unit. Thank you Because of this unit I can finally have a bath (something my old unit wouldn’t allow.

Date Purchased: Apr 2012

Bloody Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2018

Chromogen tanks are the biggest pieces of junk you ever come across. Investing in one of their tanks was a huge mistake. After the first tank was repaced on warranty the second tank has now failed. I'm giving up and is switching back to another brand at my own cost. These guys really suck buyer beware.

STRATHALBYN

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

So far, so good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

So far, so good. I had the Midea 170 litre heat pump installed a week ago. The plumber and the electrician were both excellent.They were friendly and efficient and the installation was complete early in the afternoon. The unit is very quiet when operating and hardly starts up during the day. I replaced an old electric ceiling unit with the Midea so I will be interested to see my next power bill.

1 of 3 pages