• 1 question
  • 3 answers

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Good little machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2017

Been using Rheem Heat pump for last 10 years. At the beginning it was good, that it started to cost us big money.
Service calls, recirculating pumps, thermostat sensors. Finally, it died.

Replaced with yet another Heat Pump.
So far so good. Very happy.
Hopping it will last longer & serve us well.

Purchased at: Chromagen Australia

Loxton

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Do not buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

We have had our Midea Hot water system for just over 2 years. It is now out of warranty. I first contacted Chromagen at the beginning of October who said that the unit was out of warranty. I then contacted our local plumber who installed the unit originally. We need a sensor wire (code on unit P3). I was told they had ordered the part. It is now the end of November. We have waited nearly two months for our unit to be fixed but every time I contact our local plumber I am told that Chromagen do not have any parts left in Australia and have ordered more. So for two months we have had the unit beeping day and night, we run out of hot water and as yet we still do not have the part. The unit is costing us more to run as its not working correctly. I hate to imagine our next electricity bill as it will be massive because of this unit. Please save yourself a big headache and don't buy this hot water system.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

shepparton

• 7 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Bills skyrocketed - Not good on Controlled Load meter

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

My landlord had this unit installed, and I expected it to be great, as it's advertised to save heaps of money. However it apparently can't be used if you have a controlled load meter. It might use less electricity than the old unit, but what it does is billed at a higher rate! Think it's probably cost me an extra $3-400 extra this year..

• 8 comments
  • 1 question
  • 14 answers
  • 38 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

saving so much $$$$$$ in electricity and ample hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

Got this on offer.
$250 after government rebates, Easy to order off Chromagen (you do need to pay balance upfront to start the order being processed )very polite and helpfull phone operator,took about 6 weeks from ordering to installing ,cost me $250 installed, including new heat/scolding protection and extra plumbing,The fitters were brilliant got on with the job and left the area clean and tidy,and took old electric tank away after decommissioning it (thank you ) we live in west Victoria which can be cool and cloudy most mornings .We have solar panels giving us ample daytime power,this water heater allows you to easily set timer to operate through the day when solar is working and ambient temp is at its best for heat pump, (i have it on economy setting which uses heat pump only) i have set timer to come on at 10am to 7.30pm at night,(off all night) it only comes on to heat water using heat pump and solar when needed about 3hrs a day then turns off unless you are using hot water which it replaces during timer settings.The heat pump produces water evaporation which runs into ground via a pipe or you can just sit pipe into a plant pot for self watering plants.There is only 2 of us living here and find this is very safe,cheap and efficient way of getting just about free hot water.temp of water usually 62c on turn off and remains around 52-55c overnight (most nights are around 3-6c ) plenty of water for morning showers,looks great runs very quiet and plumber reckons it will last about 10 years?Anticipate savings of upto $500 per year using solar to work it compared to old heater which used overnight low rate electricity.Did notice first few days the hot water seemed 'FIZZY' but that has settled now. WERE VERY PLEASED . please be aware if there is a power outage timer will need resetting.

Lang Lang, Vic

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Jan 2017

This is a money saver!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I had a 7 year old electric system and I replaced it with a Chromogen 170L and could not be happier. My power bill has reduced by hundreds of dollars every quarter and we never run out of hot water. The staff and installation people were lovely and the swapover was over in a couple of hours.

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Fizzled out 3 months out of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

Rude reception staff, poor cover design, parts don't even last a year.

- Rude: I questioned the warranty period with Australian Consumer law. The response was negative, and when I accepted the estimated quote for repair, I was forced to pay upfront. I contacted Chromogen again, and got the same girl, and she explained that because I had begrudgingly accepted the repair, I must pay up front. The service technician had never heard of this before.

Some might look at this as me being a bit overly cocky, and sure of some legislation here in Australia to protect consumers, and that might be a fair call. However i think its an overwhelmingly fair call to say that when you build a brand new house, and a brand new hot water system breaks down a few months out of warranty, the product didn't live up to a reasonable expectation, and was not fit for its purpose for such a young lifespan.

- Poor cover design: The magnetic cover is held on by magnets with no more strength than a fridge magnet. This seems like a poor design to me.

- Parts don't even last a year: The part that broke down was a small sensor, with a wire attached and plugged into a main board. This part didn't look overly complex, and was not a mechanical part. The fact that it broke, or stopped working suggests to me the part was perhaps defective in manufacture and died prematurely.

PURNIM VIA WRRNAMBOOL AUS

• 7 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Have not had a bill yet but is due soon, but had my family home gone from 2 persons to 10 persons with 4 children did not run out of water, water seems softer I don't know why however the the 170 litre is working fine with 55 degrees being the lowest temp and 62 the highest we are very satisfied good work government subsidy.

Adelaide

• 5 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Very nice unit.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

The unit is working really well. I have not had a power bill yet but im sure it will be better with this new unit. My old unit was about 30 yrs old and seem to heat all the time. Was happy with the price I paid with the government rebates it was a great deal. The only issue was I had to pay extra for my electrical switch in the fuse box. It needed to be upgraded which I totally understand. But would of been nice if I was advised at the time of ordering that this might be possible. I had to pay for the on the day of installation or the unit would of not been installed. Lucky I had enough money to cover it. The guys that came to install the unit were very friendly. Will update this when I get my next power bill.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

chromagen Midea 280Lt heat pump

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced our old solar unit with a Chromagen Midea 280L Heat Pump
biggest mistake i have ever made were told it will help reduce our power bill what a load of rubbish the power bills
went through the roof when i rang ghromagen and asked to talk to a technician was told he would ring back no reply
not happy with this product at all.

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Read the terms and conditions!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Like anything in this world, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. When enquiring about this $0 dollar hotwater changeover offer by Chromagen, I was informed it was completely free. Rebates take care of everything! All plumbing, all electrical and they would drain and remove the old tank. Sounds great! But then there was a catch, because my existing unit was a gravity fed unit I would incur additional costs for new valvewear and roof to external pipework. Even with these upfront charges ($649), I decided it was still a good deal and signed up. After a very long wait (approx 7 weeks) I finally had the unit installed. But sure enough, there was now even more hidden additional costs! Now I need a new power circuit for an additional $250, even though my switchboard has been upgraded less than 6 months ago? How did $0 now become $899? Then I actually sat down and researched the amount of REC's these units get and the amount of money the company gets back, aswell as the Renewal energy target incentives, These guys are basically charging upwards of $3k for these imported chinese units? What a rip off, wish I had gone with another company. One last thing, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS!!! they basically state if anything doesn't go right with install or REC's can't be claimed or similar, you are liable for FULL INSTALL! Buyers beware.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

DIY heat pump with existing solar system

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

I buy this unit and connect it in series with the solar 370 litre gas booater Euora hot water system, I disconnected the heating element in the chromagen 170 litre, so there will be no chance of using it, which is quite expensive to use electricity to heat up water.

AS a result, a 540 liter system existed with low temp zone and high temp zone in the chromagen.

It work good for 6 months now.

Brisbane

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

An Excellent Hot Water Unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

After fairly detailed research I replaced a Chromagen Solar Unit ( a piece of rubbish) with a new Midea Heat Pump system. I figured that an air conditioner manufacturer should understand heat pump technology, and so far I am very happy. The unit has an in built timer and allows me to control the running time to during daylight hours when I get the benefit of the solar PV panels. Very tidy looking, easy to use the timer. Quiet operation. I will update when we see the next electricity bill. . . . .

Private message

Has been a great product and has saved me on power costs

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

I am very happy having this hot water unit its been a big saving in costs and works wonderful would recommend it to any one interested as you sure will see the difference it makes in your home

Wantirna South, Victoria

• 4 answers

An excellent product Time will Tell

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 02, 2017

A fantastic product so far,can only comment on a short period of time in operation as is new.However the guys who installed the unit were terrific,very professional,the unit looks great and works well.

So far so good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2017

I am very happy with this hot water system. Looks good works well my power bill is down. The young men that installed it were fantastic. The company has been very helpful and nice. I would have no problem recommending them.

Works very well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2016

Our last system was not hot enough to wash the dishes, we had to boil the jug to add to the sink, now we don't. We have a Solar system that runs the Midea 170L during the day.

Brand new and professional installation. Absolutely fantastic.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Received new hot water service promptly, installed quickly and professionally. Looks new age and not like an ugly add on and works perfect. Purchased as secondary hot water system for visitors bathroom and haven't ran out of hot water yet! Thank you.

excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Very economical, works well and easy to operate. Takes up little space, much better than the electric heater it replaced. A great government initiative, should be available to more people.

Excellent, works great. Have no issues and always have plenty of hot water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2016

I recommend installing this unit to anyone considering replacing you old electric hot water unit.
We have had two of these units installed, one domestic and another commercial use.
Their response from my initial contact was very prompt, polite and obliging.
The installation persons (plumber and electrician) were very competent and professional, about an hour to install.
I would be happy to pay full price for these units, if the government rebate was not available.

Quite an improvement over the electric gravity feed hot water system.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2016

We may not have had this unit installed were it not for the government incentives. The unit has exceeded our expectations .The 170 L unit stores More than enough for three to four people.The water temperature is perfect and pressure adequate given we work off tanks and pumps.
The installation was carried out efficiently by two skilled and friendly tradesmen.I have recommended Chromegen to friends as a consequence of my positive experience .

1 of 2 pages

For some reason the Unit 170 liter Stopped tonight. No hot water at all. I can get cold but not hot. Do I have to do something to restart it? I got it for free in Victoria. What do I need to do?

Grace asked on Dec 15, 2017

Answer this

Hi Grace, I'd call the supplier - Chromagen. They should be able to assist over the phone.

Hi, had a 170L Midea Heat Pump installed 3 months ago. As the summer started in NSW & its only 2 users I did setup temperature at 40C . It works great. We shower on hot water on only. Timer is OFF & we run Eco mode. Question please? How to run disinfection function? Is it automatic? Or does it need to be preset? I know it heats up to 65C. As we are on time of use tariff, I would to run it at night. Overall its great little machine. Regards Jerry

Jerry D asked on Dec 03, 2017

Answer this

hi Jerry. i understand the disinfect mode is automatic and it does it every 7 days no matter what setting.it shows a tear like symbol when in disinfect. otherwise will be extinguished.as for running it on o/night on heat pump (eco mode)it is probably more economic through the day as it absorbs heat from the ambient temp which is warmer in the day, it would possibly cost more to run through night on low tariff rate than daytime tariff on most nights.maybe a call to chromagen for confirmation on disinfect mode would be a good idea.hope this helps ?

Jerry, if the tear like symbol does not show up on the LED panel, the disinfect is turned off. On page 5 of the instrution book 1/2 way down the page is a group of micro switchs. You will find only 1 group of switchs not the4 as showen in the book. If you have the 2150watt element So you will need SW2-1 should be off andSW3-2 should be on. This should turn the disinfect on and the heating element on. Because they do the disinfecting at 23.00 hours every 7 days, i set the clock 12 hours out so it does the disinfect at 11.00 hours just befor lunch time to catch the sunshine. Hope this helps.

Hi Snakeman, thanks for raply. It look as 170l system disinfect its not automatic.
Been using it for 3 months now & never had really that hot water.

I have had a power outage and I reset the on and off timer and clock but flashing alarm symbol is still flashing. how or do I cancel this or stop on its own?

Wayne asked on Nov 14, 2017

Answer this

i think it will stop flashing on its own? if not turn unit off completely at mains and reset that should fix it. if not ring chromagen.hope this helps

Yes it did return to normal on it own thank you

See all 30 questions about Chromagen Midea 170L Heat Pump