Review rating:
  • 1 answer
  • 7 helpful votes

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

Exceptionally good service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2016

I recently moved into the state and into a house which had NBN connection. Contacted Mint Telecom after researching internet providers. I decided to sign up with them. The Modem arrived the following day as I had been told it would and Kelvin from customer services talked me through the set up procedure. I am very pleased with the service. A problem with the phone connection was dealt with immediately and I received a follow up phone call from Kelvin to check if everything was alright. My daughter has also signed with Mint and is very pleased with the service.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Alan, Welcome to Tasmania! We love it here which is why we setup and operate the business from here. Glad to hear everything has operated as we would like and thank you for the positive feedback. Cheers Michael

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Mint telecom. After years of battling away with poor service, dropouts, sloooooow speeds and much fr

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2016

Nbn. No dropouts. Very, very satisfied with Mint. So glad I changed over. 5 stars from me.customer service is second to none!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Jeff, fantastic to hear that its all working as we both expect. Thanks for the kind words. Cheers Michael

Evandale

Fantastic service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2016

After researching a number of providers I found mint telecom to offer great value for money. The customer service was outstanding. All my questions were answered with efficiency and courtesy. The Internet connection has been uninterrupted. The setup process was easy and any help provided was outstanding service. I would highly recommend this company.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Susanne, thanks for the review. We work really hard on our onboarding process and our customer service so its really pleasing to get such great feedback. Cheers Michael

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Hobart

A breath of fresh air

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2018

What a breath of fresh air! The Mint Telecom team listened to the issues we experienced with our previous ISP and resolved them swiftly and professionally. We now enjoy efficient, competitive, customer-focussed service that is unparalleled in the market. Shop local – beyond comparison for quality of service.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Katinka, We do pride ourselves on our experience and ability to work with our customers to fix problems as or if they arise. Really pleased to hear that this resonated through to you and you a... read more »

Brisbane

Fantastic Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2017

The CEO and Staff at Mint Telecom are incredibly focused on Customer Service.
They have been helpful, patient, supportive, honest and technically competent, without fault.

The copper connection to the house has been a 'basket case' for nearly two decades and it was recommended that the F.T.T.N. 'switch-over' start on the 12/1 package to see how it goes.

When there's little congestion, speeds are approximately 11/1. Three times faster than with ADSL 2+, and about the best achievable at present.

What more could anybody ask for in a supplier?

P.S. They're an Australian Company, where staff are based, and work, in Australia.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi William, We do work very hard on our service and making sure our products work. Glad to hear yours is all setup and running and whilst we'd all love it to be faster, we can have some comfort tha... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Excellent Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

Mint were fast, efficient and very helpful in helping us select the best set up for our internet needs. Both Courtney and Grant were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Would highly recommend Mint Telecom to everyone.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Renee, We definitely make sure we review each customers requirements to ensure we are starting them off on the best plan for their specific needs, so really pleased to hear that was appreciated.... read more »

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

MINT gets me connected to NBN within the same day

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2017

Signed up with MyRepublic NBN back in Sep 22nd, couldn't get me connected after 5 weeks! MyRepublic always blames the issue is with NBNco, and vouch no other service provider could get me connected either. Finally I decide to leave MyRepublic and signup with MINT, and my NBN service was activated within 3 hours!

The sales consultant at MINT (Kelvin) is really helpful. He identifies the issue why MyRepublic cannot get me connected within 10 mins after checking my address. Turns out I have two NTD ports registered at my address, which is very unusual. So he guides me through how to chase up NBNco and my previous service provider to figure out which one was the last working port. All of these are before I signed up with MINT.

The activation process with MINT is fast, stress-free and informative. Got 2 SMS and 3 emails within 3 hours to keep me updated about how it progressed. (On the contrast, MyRepublic had only sent me one welcome email when i signed up, and no updates whatsoever for the rest 5 weeks. I have to chase them up every other couple of days trying to find out if there is any updates)

Even after the service activated, the superb customer service from MINT does not stop there. Kelvin was following up to check if connection is working fine. I raise the concern that the download speed is a bit slow, around 50Mbps for a 100/40 plan. From my previous experience, in this situation, most service providers would give a standard answer like "the speed would largely depend your infrastructure", a.k.a "there is nothing we can do about it". Instead, Kelvin thinks the speed doesn't look right, and request a port reset from NBN straightaway. The port was reset the next day, and I'm delight to see speed increase to above 70Mbps.

Normally i don't bother to write positive feedback online. However, I'm grateful for the good customer service, fast issue resolving, and deliver on promise from MINT. In my opinion, it is totally worth the price and a 5 star rating. I'm more than happy to recommend MINT to my friends and colleagues.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Dao, Really pleased to hear of your experience. NBN is certainly one of those products where you do get what you pay for and whilst we are more expensive than MyRepublic we hope the reasons why ... read more »

hobart

Fantastic service !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

My previous internet supplier took a month to get me reconnected despite me having to call them at least twice a day to get updates. As soon as I was back on line I signed up with Mint and was enjoying good NBN speeds within 24 hours ! Fantastic personal service. I can't fault them.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rick, Not sure why it took others two months, certainly a frustrating experience for you. Glad to have you online and operating and, of course, it's really pleasing to hear you value our serv... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

We have recently connected to the NBN with the endless help from the highly recommended Kelvin.
The whole process ran smoothly (we connected at a very problematic time with the NBN service just becoming available in the area and problems with Telstra and still only had a 2 week service connection wait time) and the service has been continually excellent. Little things like easy data tracking and direct debit courtesy reminder emails make everything run smoothly for clients. If we ever have any questions, they are always responded to extremely fast too! Very happy with our service and would happily recommend to anyone looking for a provider.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Julie, Great to hear your connection went well. With regard to the little things, we think they are really important as getting them right tends to take care of the bigger things. Thanks for ... read more »

• 16 helpful votes

Excellent communication

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

I had a chat with one of their tech team, he was very nice and friendly and honest, didn't try to push me to switch to their service. I don't have a service with them but I liked the way they treat people.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Khashayar,
We do go out of our way to communicate as effectively as we can with our customers. Operating from Hobart is what sets us apart in our opinion.
Definitely let us know if we can help out in the future.

Best ISP ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Brilliant isp best ever so good was the customer service that they never stopped trying to fix my internet speed and drop outs.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rob, One of the issues we tackle from time to time is problems on the network not directly related to the service that we are providing (particularly common on copper ADSL services). With our ... read more »

Sydney

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Seamless Customer Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Switching over from other bigger named ISPs. Couldn't be happier with the service and customer care that Mint has employed. I'm used to waiting +3 weeks after moving into a new unit but Mint had my services up and running within a day of moving! ADSL modem is also NBN ready. I will be continuing on with their services for the foreseeable future.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ted, The only waiting around with us is where we are restricted by network constraints, we know how important internet is for people these days so we do everything we can to get customers up and... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Amazing customer service, efficiency & speed. How ISP's should be

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

Decided on Mint Telecom after hours of research on review sites, had never heard of them before so was a bit unsure as to how they would be.

Any worries I had were unfounded. I requested that the service be switched on on the date that I was to move into a new rental. This has been impossible before (according to other ISP's) so I wasn't sure how accurate the promise would be. I had no reason to fear, the line was re-activated, the ADSL2+ service was connected, and the new modem arrived, all before move in date, all within 7 working days of my initial service request.

2 weeks in, and the connection is amazing, I'm experiencing the best connection quality and speeds I've ever had. I've only had to contact support the once, and that was at set-up; I'd chosen a new password when setting up my account, and the modem had come pre-loaded with the automatically generated password. Despite it being after-hours (Saturday morning) I left a message on the support line, and was over the moon to receive a call back in less than 20 minutes, from an Australian-based support officer no less! Within 10 minutes of troubleshooting, my internet connection was up and running, and I haven't experienced any drop-outs or drops in download speeds.

Beyond happy, after continuous disappointments by every other ISP I've used, Mint Telecom have exceeded my already very high standards of customer service and technical support. Mint will be the only ISP I recommend to friends and family.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Brendan, Whilst the business has only been around for a bit over 2 years, we have years of experience in the industry (well over 30+ years combined) which we think makes a big difference with r... read more »

Brilliant Customer Service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

After being incredibly frustrated with one of the major suppliers, we moved to Mint. And what a move! I'll be the first one to admit that I am a complete luddite and needed a lot of support in the changeover. Mint' s customer service was exceptional from beginning to end. Kelvin had me connected to the NBN within 24 hours. He took me through the setup process and was incredibly patient, efficient and clear. It is so nice to actually have customer service again! I highly recommend this Tasmanian business to all the other luddites who exist and anyone else who wants a service that delivers.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Alison, You are certainly not on your own with regard to being a luddite. Moving to nbn can be daunting for some people which is why we preconfigure our modems so there is no setup (beyond plu... read more »

Perth

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Need more business like this

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2017

Had my ADSL transferred from Iinet, MINT was fast and honest, informing me the speed i will be getting and the time it take to transfer over. Message them on facebook in the middle of the night and get a reply. Fantastic service keep it up and will recommend to my friend and family

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Mel, Our preferred contact out of hours is via private message on facebook as the chat program makes it easy to troubleshoot problems or answer questions. We aren't technically "open" but we wil... read more »

• 1 comment

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Really happy that I got NBN with Mint!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

I just switched from Belong ADSL2+ to Mint FTTN. It's been a very pleasant experience I must say.

The whole transfer was done within a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hours down time, which certainly exceeded expectations. The service from sales to implementation is defintely first class and they keep you updated along the entire journey, something you don't get with the big names.

The only issues I had were my own issues with wifi interference in my house/area, which I have since fixed with a change to the modem/router settings.

The speed is 3 times faster than my old ADSL connection and I can now game lag free with no dropouts.

I highly recommend Mint and will be doing so to any who ask me. Thanks for the great sevice Mint, I really appreciate it. Also thanks to [name removed] who was a great help in getting everything sorted. Keep up the great work!!!

November 8th 2017 Update: I was duped by the overly positive reviews

So it started off well back in April 2017 when I wrote my original review. The service was working fast and lag free. Fast forward to about September and it became very slow and so laggy, making online games unplayable, especially during peak hour every night. Numerous emails to them resulted in the finger being pointed in my direction as the cause of the problem and no acknowledgment that there could be any kind of a problem on their end. Modem resets, even a new modem being sent did not fix the issue. I was told I was on the only customer having the issue, which I did not believe. I was also told that there were some upgrades planned, which seems funny to me that they planned to do upgrades that they did not need, as everything was allegedly perfect on their end. Eventually I was told that they will lodge a fault with the NBN, which I waited for over a week with no result. Smartest thing I did after this was to switch to Aussie Broadband and as I knew would happen, everything was back to how it should be. Very fast and lag free, even in peak hour. Proceed with caution and don't believe everything you see here, I was fooled. I would recommend to anyone considering Mint to go with Aussie Broadband instead, as I wish I had of done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, Great to hear the change over went smoothly, we do work very hard to keep everyone updated along the way and aim to make it as simple as possible. Also glad to hear the wifi channel chan... read more »

Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, As you know we conducted a thorough review of your fault, including when you were providing us with test results in off peak times (with no congestion anywhere on the network) that wer... read more »

The thing is none of that had changed from when it was working fine, so that leads to one explanation. Something on your end did, congestion or whatever, as it was fixed by changing the provider, ... read more »

• 4 comments

Disappointed NBN start!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

January 21st 2018 Update: Why are all ISPs failing their customers?

Following one year with MINT, I'm still very disappointed at the inability for them to provide much "service" as an internet service provider. 95% of the breakdowns are answered with "it's NBNs fault", there's nothing we can do about it, otherwise we will!". Which is worthless to the enduser. We really don't care which part of the middle or upper chain was the fault or cause, but we just want it fixed ASAP. I tried to check out other ISP for switch, but the comments from end users are same or even worse. Hence, it's like stuck with your bad ISP or go take a risk with a similar one or worse!!!

** just got a private message from MINT trying to stop me from publishing this review **

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

Fantastic service and product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2017

Just changed the other week from Telstra to Mint. The best change I could have made - that's for sure. The difference in product and service is astounding. Mint communication and service is beyond excellent. Everything went seamlessly and I was constantly kept apraised of what was going on. I couldn't believe it! The internet product itself (over the last week of using it) is way better than I expected. I choose Mint after reading the reviews here and let me assure you all the reviews here are genuine. Mint is the way to go!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Lilywil, We do work hard to ensure we onboard customers well and keep them up to date with the progress of their order, so it's always great to hear that it has been appreciated. Thanks for ta... read more »

1 of 11 pages