Review rating:
Filter By:
Private message

Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Not What I Expected

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2017

I signed up for NBN after reading the reviews! Three NBN technicians over two weeks claim I have no internet due to the provider or their equipment. I have seen their test results but Mint bury their head and claim it is the NBN who are the problem while I have no internet at all. Nice staff but that doesn't help. VERY UNHAPPY!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Steve, As you know and as we have communicated with you, the installation is managed by NBN Co, not Mint. HFC (your type of nbn) is also all over the media currently as NBN Co have stopped se... read more »

Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Very slow download speeds!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Staff are polite and professional, but the internet speed I have been experiencing on average 12-15 Mbps download with well below the minimum 25 Mbps the NBN co technician estimated I should expect. The excuses and justifications from Mint staff are not credible.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Evan, Really sorry to hear your speeds are not performing to what we'd both like. Fibre to the Node speeds are estimates and we do deliver the speed available and can easily get the actual dist... read more »

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 6 helpful votes

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

Melbourne

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Really happy that I got NBN with Mint!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

I just switched from Belong ADSL2+ to Mint FTTN. It's been a very pleasant experience I must say.

The whole transfer was done within a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hours down time, which certainly exceeded expectations. The service from sales to implementation is defintely first class and they keep you updated along the entire journey, something you don't get with the big names.

The only issues I had were my own issues with wifi interference in my house/area, which I have since fixed with a change to the modem/router settings.

The speed is 3 times faster than my old ADSL connection and I can now game lag free with no dropouts.

I highly recommend Mint and will be doing so to any who ask me. Thanks for the great sevice Mint, I really appreciate it. Also thanks to [name removed] who was a great help in getting everything sorted. Keep up the great work!!!

November 8th 2017 Update: I was duped by the overly positive reviews

So it started off well back in April 2017 when I wrote my original review. The service was working fast and lag free. Fast forward to about September and it became very slow and so laggy, making online games unplayable, especially during peak hour every night. Numerous emails to them resulted in the finger being pointed in my direction as the cause of the problem and no acknowledgment that there could be any kind of a problem on their end. Modem resets, even a new modem being sent did not fix the issue. I was told I was on the only customer having the issue, which I did not believe. I was also told that there were some upgrades planned, which seems funny to me that they planned to do upgrades that they did not need, as everything was allegedly perfect on their end. Eventually I was told that they will lodge a fault with the NBN, which I waited for over a week with no result. Smartest thing I did after this was to switch to Aussie Broadband and as I knew would happen, everything was back to how it should be. Very fast and lag free, even in peak hour. Proceed with caution and don't believe everything you see here, I was fooled. I would recommend to anyone considering Mint to go with Aussie Broadband instead, as I wish I had of done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, Great to hear the change over went smoothly, we do work very hard to keep everyone updated along the way and aim to make it as simple as possible. Also glad to hear the wifi channel chan... read more »

Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, As you know we conducted a thorough review of your fault, including when you were providing us with test results in off peak times (with no congestion anywhere on the network) that wer... read more »

Melbourne

• 4 comments

Disappointed NBN start!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

January 21st 2018 Update: Why are all ISPs failing their customers?

Following one year with MINT, I'm still very disappointed at the inability for them to provide much "service" as an internet service provider. 95% of the breakdowns are answered with "it's NBNs fault", there's nothing we can do about it, otherwise we will!". Which is worthless to the enduser. We really don't care which part of the middle or upper chain was the fault or cause, but we just want it fixed ASAP. I tried to check out other ISP for switch, but the comments from end users are same or even worse. Hence, it's like stuck with your bad ISP or go take a risk with a similar one or worse!!!

** just got a private message from MINT trying to stop me from publishing this review **

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Excellent Service from Mint Telecom

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

We are NBN connected with Mint Telecom. We were very impressed with the service afforded to us from Mint. Thank you Courtney. Nothing was too much trouble and we appreciated your patience We are very happy and it was a great decision to change to Mint..

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Sue, Operating from Hobart we do think our service proposition is a little different to some others and is certainly something we are very proud of. Great to hear its all working well for you. T... read more »

Blackmans Bay, TAS

Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Solid internet service with proactive customer support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

Using NBN service for over a year.

Pricing and packages great and only 6mth initial contract term.

Great communication throughout the setup process, which was completed quickly and without issue.

Had started experiencing dropouts at one point (fault of old hardware at my end) and, before taking any action myself, was contacted by Kelvin who had noticed in the interrupted service and provided troubleshooting advice.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rob, Great to hear its all working well. And yes, we are a little different to most in that we proactively review how services are performing and if we see drops we shoot you a note to check i... read more »

Sydney

• 1 question
  • 2 answers

Reliablity, Quality and Support- Thats what you get from Mint

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2018

When it comes to internet services, a customer will generally think about the big giant telecomms like Telstra, Optus, TPG, iiNet etc. A few problems with these giants are:

1. They are either expensive (E.G. Telstra - good customer service but most expensive) or,
2. They provide limited/restricted bandwidth (if not expensive) or,
3. Their customer service is poor or,
4. They do not provide the service that they promise/offered (dishonesty)

and most importantly,
5. On the off chance that you stall out amid the weekends/holidays, if your connection drops out or internet service disrupted, then you are totally DOOMED. Nobody is there to help you out.

Thinking about all the above situations, in the event that you need a dependable, fair, quality administration in a sensible cost and if you need some person to help you whenever you stall out, and on the off chance that you don't need any of the previously mentioned occurrences transpire, at that point the main decision would be Mint Telecomm. That is all I can tell about them.

I have taken ADSL from them. Now I've taken NBN (FTTP) service from them. Simply awesome .. as always !!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Mic, Thanks for the comprehensive review! We do work hard on making sure our products do what they are meant to and obviously we think operating out of Hobart makes a big difference with our su... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Quick & customer focussed NBN connection

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 02, 2018

I am now NBN connected with Mint Telecom…yeah!! It only took Mint 1 week compared to no service at all after 13 weeks with Telstra. Thank you so much for your great service …it was with Daniel’s assistance that this connection was smooth! I have highly recommended both Mint & Daniel to all my friends & colleagues!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi HJX, Not sure why it took Telstra 13 weeks to achieve nothing.... But glad to hear we got it all fixed in 1 week. We do have a lot more experience than a typical telstra rep and as you have evid... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

NBN coverage for home. Reliable service and only made a couple of phone calls early on to set up connection and with adding phone service. I love that I speak to a local and they understand my problem and are able to help immediately! You rarely get personal service like that from an internet service provider!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Sharon, You only ever speak to us in Hobart, so definitely local and definitely years of experience to make sure we deliver a product that works and that we can quickly help when problems arise.... read more »

Verified Customer

Thanks Mint Telecom!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

My connection is NBN Nude, and it is a strong, reliable connection, even though my property is an hour and a bit's drive out of the city of Hobart. The set up process was easy, fast and efficient. And no one does better customer service better than Mint. They listen to me, provide me with options, and are fast to take the action required. This week I had a problem with visitors guzzling my internet and needed to change my plan fast. Within 15 minutes problem sovled! Thanks Mint!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Karen, Great to hear your connection is working really well, we do setup the parts within our control to work as they should. We also like to ensure our customers are on the plan that suits the... read more »

Perth

• 1 answer

Amazing, professional service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 30, 2018

Mint Telecom have far exceeded my expectations. They are quick to respond to phone calls or enquiries via email. From initial contact to installation of the NBN everything was streamlined and fuss-free. They are very affordable - and do what they say. They are based in Australia so no confusion when talking to them. Customer focus is uppermost in their minds and they make you feel like a person not a number.
I cannot sing their praises highly enough - we need more companies like Mint who never leave a bad taste in your mouth. A refreshing company for changing times.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Liss, We're definitely based in Australia, even if sometimes little ole Tassie is left off the map! Glad to hear you appreciate our focus on processes to make onboarding as effortless as possibl... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment

Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2018

Stan is great very happy with the movies and the customer support I received was excellent ,can't complain.
Thanks heaps to the team.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Lil,
We do pride ourselves on our customer service out of Hobart so great to hear you appreciate it.
Thanks for providing the feedback, its much appreciated.
Michael

Connection Type: NBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)

Signed up!!! Thank you Mint Telecome

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2018

Awesome service from Kelvin thank you so much the online chat was great and your answers were clear and straight to the point. Looking forward to receiving my modem in the posting thank you.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Kat,
Online chat is really convenient and we use it a lot. We're looking forward to getting you up and running.
Thanks for the review.

Hobart

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

A breath of fresh air

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2018

What a breath of fresh air! The Mint Telecom team listened to the issues we experienced with our previous ISP and resolved them swiftly and professionally. We now enjoy efficient, competitive, customer-focussed service that is unparalleled in the market. Shop local – beyond comparison for quality of service.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Katinka, We do pride ourselves on our experience and ability to work with our customers to fix problems as or if they arise. Really pleased to hear that this resonated through to you and you a... read more »

Rokeby

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

241Rewards program not a gimmick!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2018

I have been with Mint for over a year now. When signing up the 241Rewards program was mentioned and I thought, oh yeah, it's just a gimmick and I won't be using that. On receiving a call from them during the year asking if I was going to use my rewards to go on a cruise, (or something else) from a very nice, respectful and not pushy salesperson, I went ahead with it. I was surprised at the price. It is literally two fares for the price of one. My first cruise, I took my twin sister with me for our birthday and we had a ball!!! I have paid for another year subscription and will be making use of the other rewards, definately. Thank you, Mint Telecom

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Chez, Your experience is definitely not uncommon. Something for free (as we provide new customers with 12 months complimentary access) is always viewed with a high degree of scepticism. As telc... read more »

KANIVA

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Note to Telstra.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2018

After being with a rural Internet provider I was forced to find a new one. While looking at the big name providers I discovered Mint Telecom. after looking at the reviews I decided to give them a try. One phone call and it was transferred. Done. I had been 'negotiating' with Telstra about getting the account details changed on my land lines for over a month and still didn't have it sorted. SO, I shifted my landline to Mint Telecom as well. ONE phone call and it happened. Also got the bundle plan which meant it was not allot dearer.

When I first signed up the Representative told me about the 2 for 1 rewards program. said I wasn't interested and figured they charge you twice as much for the first fare so they can give you the second for free. We were planning a cruise, and just for the heck of it I decided to go on-line and prove my theory correct. Much to my surprise I was wrong. We have been able to book a cruise that is considerably cheaper than we could find the same or equivalent anywhere else!! This will pay for my phone accounts for about the next 10 years.
Have to be happy.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Jack, We work really hard to make the on boarding process as simple and as efficient as possible, so really pleased to hear that was what you experienced. Mostly though, it's great to hear th... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Outstanding Service and very fast reliable Internet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

NBN Internet Wired
Speed 50/20
Extremely reliable connection - Outages were easily resolved and No disconnection issues that were the fault of Mint Telecom.
I was originally on 100/50 but Mint suggested 50/20 as my needs didn't require the higher speed. They focus on the customer and not the bottom profit which is extremely nice to see in a telecommunications company.

Extremely satisfied with Mint Telecom. I have been with them for nearly 2 years and would highly recommend them to any friends or family. They are easily to communicate with, based in Hobart Tasmania and have only Local Support. You will either speak with the Owner of the company of a few local staff who know who you are each time you speak with them. I never needed to answer a heap of questions, they knew my voice, after speaking with them for changes to my account.
They are easily contactable via Facebook as well and will answer normally with in a couple minutes.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi T&Nash,
Operating out of Hobart is definitely our biggest point of difference (that and our years of experience in the industry).
Glad to hear everything is working well and really appreciate the feedback and support.

Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Exceed expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

A little issue with my initial setup but Michael’s support was solid. Was not expecting such good support from a telco. Once connected everything is a bliss. It did disconnect momentarily once in the last 30 days since activation but otherwise the speed is excellent (25/5). I used the service to connect my security system, so far so good. Highly recommended

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Lester,
We are quite persistent and will keep working to get things fixed, albeit that does require patience from both sides as tech problems are always frustrating.
Glad to hear it's all going well and appreciate your feedback.

1 of 9 pages