Filter By:
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Very slow download speeds!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Staff are polite and professional, but the internet speed I have been experiencing on average 12-15 Mbps download with well below the minimum 25 Mbps the NBN co technician estimated I should expect. The excuses and justifications from Mint staff are not credible.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Evan, Really sorry to hear your speeds are not performing to what we'd both like. Fibre to the Node speeds are estimates and we do deliver the speed available and can easily get the actual dist... read more »

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Really happy that I got NBN with Mint!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

I just switched from Belong ADSL2+ to Mint FTTN. It's been a very pleasant experience I must say.

The whole transfer was done within a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hours down time, which certainly exceeded expectations. The service from sales to implementation is defintely first class and they keep you updated along the entire journey, something you don't get with the big names.

The only issues I had were my own issues with wifi interference in my house/area, which I have since fixed with a change to the modem/router settings.

The speed is 3 times faster than my old ADSL connection and I can now game lag free with no dropouts.

I highly recommend Mint and will be doing so to any who ask me. Thanks for the great sevice Mint, I really appreciate it. Also thanks to [name removed] who was a great help in getting everything sorted. Keep up the great work!!!

November 8th 2017 Update: I was duped by the overly positive reviews

So it started off well back in April 2017 when I wrote my original review. The service was working fast and lag free. Fast forward to about September and it became very slow and so laggy, making online games unplayable, especially during peak hour every night. Numerous emails to them resulted in the finger being pointed in my direction as the cause of the problem and no acknowledgment that there could be any kind of a problem on their end. Modem resets, even a new modem being sent did not fix the issue. I was told I was on the only customer having the issue, which I did not believe. I was also told that there were some upgrades planned, which seems funny to me that they planned to do upgrades that they did not need, as everything was allegedly perfect on their end. Eventually I was told that they will lodge a fault with the NBN, which I waited for over a week with no result. Smartest thing I did after this was to switch to Aussie Broadband and as I knew would happen, everything was back to how it should be. Very fast and lag free, even in peak hour. Proceed with caution and don't believe everything you see here, I was fooled. I would recommend to anyone considering Mint to go with Aussie Broadband instead, as I wish I had of done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, Great to hear the change over went smoothly, we do work very hard to keep everyone updated along the way and aim to make it as simple as possible. Also glad to hear the wifi channel chan... read more »

Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, As you know we conducted a thorough review of your fault, including when you were providing us with test results in off peak times (with no congestion anywhere on the network) that wer... read more »

The thing is none of that had changed from when it was working fine, so that leads to one explanation. Something on your end did, congestion or whatever, as it was fixed by changing the provider, ... read more »

Melbourne

• 4 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Disappointed NBN start!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

January 21st 2018 Update: Why are all ISPs failing their customers?

Following one year with MINT, I'm still very disappointed at the inability for them to provide much "service" as an internet service provider. 95% of the breakdowns are answered with "it's NBNs fault", there's nothing we can do about it, otherwise we will!". Which is worthless to the enduser. We really don't care which part of the middle or upper chain was the fault or cause, but we just want it fixed ASAP. I tried to check out other ISP for switch, but the comments from end users are same or even worse. Hence, it's like stuck with your bad ISP or go take a risk with a similar one or worse!!!

** just got a private message from MINT trying to stop me from publishing this review **

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

• 5 helpful votes

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

The best customer service I have experienced

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2018

The customer service was second to none, also the speed and price of mint is great for what we need it for.
Thank you Kelvin for all of your assistance.
Highly recommend

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Nicole,
Glad to hear our service ethos has resonated with you.
Appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the feedback.

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Sensational - these guys actually go above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

After having recently spent over 2hrs on Telstra Live Chat trying to establish why my FTTN service was so crap, and getting precisely nowhere but being passed from one "Customer Service" person to another, I decided enough was enough and searched the reviews for a new ISP. Mint was rated very highly for customer service, and being based in Hobart I thought I would support the local team and give them a go. The result is a) my internet speeds are twice what they were before I signed up, due to being given really sound practical advice from Kelvin at Mint, and b) I have a good understanding of what speed I can actually achieve at my house given that I'm apparently over 1km from the node, and c) my dislike for Malcolm Turnbull has intensified somewhat.
Very pleased to have discovered Mint - they deserve to do well.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Craig, Awesome to hear we helped point you in the right direction to fix your problem. Its never good when internet is bad or slow, but it's so much more frustrating when you don't know why or ... read more »

Clarendon Vale, TAS

Easily the best ISP I've ever dealt with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

I've worked at ISPs before, so I know how hard it can be.. Whenever I've had an issue, Mint Telecom have been on it within minutes, even on Sundays. 100% satisfaction from a very picky internet user.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Bob, Whilst the call centre is not open weekends we do support customers out of hours via email, Facebook private message and also voicemails. If we're awake we are generally available to help!... read more »

Perth

Top quality service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

I seemed to only hear bad stories about connecting to the NBN, so dreaded having to make the move. I chose Mint based on the reviews and wasn't in any way disappointed. Prior to the changeover, all of my emailed questions were answered promptly and fully. Phone communication was also not a problem. Being able to deal directly with staff here in Australia and not in an overseas call centre was very important to me, and when an unusual glitch occurred with the phone connection the matter was dealt with and sorted very effectively and efficiently. I will have no hesitation in recommending this company as a telco / internet provider. Definitely five stars!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ian, NBN certainly isn't as bad as a lot of the media reports. Sure, there are some problems from time to time as with any service, but the key is dealing with a provider that can help navigate... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Excellent customer service! So easy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2018

We had just purchased a new business and begun the paperwork saga of transferring the internet and phone lines from a major provider, Mint Telecom was suggested to me as alternative, one quick call and within two minutes Mint had taken away the stress, they organised a new NBN connection and phone line, modem was in the mail and they set me up with an unlimited data plan! When the modem arrived their support crew remotely logged in and assisted with set up for me! I have had a couple of questions since, all be it simple but tech related and within seconds they are answered when I contact support. Support your local I say and they will support you!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Steve, Great to hear our onboarding process made it nice and simple. We work very hard on our business solutions to make it as simple as possible as we know how important it is for a business to... read more »

5 stars

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2018

Changed from the big boys at iinet (where I sat on hold, then explained I wanted to cancel, then I got transferred to someone else who told me someone would have to call me back - which occurred 3 business days later only to go over my request to cancel AGAIN).
Mint has been seamless, great support, lots of clear communication and I am proud to be able to support a local business that has strong focus on service.
The rewards program also means an awesome deal on our honeymoon!
+ $50 refer a friend

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ted, Great to have you on board! Whilst we operate nationally we definitely appreciate the local support. Definitely look through the rewards program as there are some amazing deals to be had, ... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

A service that you cannot live without, and it is good to support your locals when you can

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

i have just changed over from Telecube, because of issues that I had been having, the customer service and reliability of the service is out standing, I highly recommend them

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Jaysblueaus,
Great to hear it's working as both expect it to and love the feedback around our focus on service being appreciated.
Thanks for the great review.

Quick and Super Easy!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

We activated our NBN through mint and it was on in around 2 hrs. We spoke to very friendly chap, was super easy to deal with and have referred people to Mint several times.
We have had no issues with the connection as of yet, and hope not to.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Leigh, Glad to hear our onboarding process made it nice and simple, we work very hard to make it as easy as possible for our customers. We set the products up to work so also hope for no issues,... read more »

melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN Wireless

breath of fresh air

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2018

Nbn fixed wireless 25/5.
Breath of fresh air compared to other isps with offshore call centers.
Spoke to an actual person, he was super helpful getting everything connected, and worked through issues with nbn to ensure my connection. Hats off.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Tom,
Operating from Hobart is our secret sauce!
Glad to hear you appreciate our experience and ability to always talk to someone in Hobart.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback, we definitely appreciate it.

Great Service, and Great speed

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

From the beginning i was dealing with Joshua. Great experience with this guys. Too notch!
I used to live with 3mps now i have average of 35-40 BIG DIFFERENCE. I do recommend them. Great work guys. Happy Chappie.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Zoran,
Great to hear its all gone well. NBN really is a much better product than ADSL and definitely worth the upgrade!
Thanks for the recommendation, don't forget our refer a friend program when you do though!

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

A rare gem in this industry!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

I can't get over how awesome these people are to deal with. They remember me by name when I call, are super helpful and their prices are really competitive. What's not to love?

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi FlyLight, Our primary focus is all about awesome service and great products. Operating out of Hobart with years of experience behind us is what allows us to make this work. Great to hear its wo... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Finally Great Service and Support in Australia

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2018

Fibre to the Home with Mint Telecom finally after all the years i have had internet i get a provider who is sensational its just to easy best customer service and support Thanks Guys you are the best no more overseas call centres

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Phillip,
Great to hear our support out of Hobart really resonates with you!
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Hobart

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Why would you go with anyone else??

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2018

After having non stop issues for over 12 months with Telstra for our business NBN set up I was recommended Mint Telecom by another business. The difference has been night to day. Amazing customer service (local no call centre), People that actually understand what is going on without being passed from department to department. This is how it should be done.
Only wished we had known of Mint years ago to save ourselves a truck load of troubles with Telstra.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rob, We think our local call centre combined with years of experience does make a massive difference, so it's fantastic to hear that resonate through to your experience with us. Thanks for takin... read more »

Perth

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Worth Waiting For

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2018

I rated Mint poorly after having to wait for my connection. But two weeks later i was connected and have had excellent service since. Very friendly staff and nothing is too much trouble. I would recommend them to anyone. And very accessible by phone, which in itself is worth fifty bucks a month!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Steve, There is not much better satisfaction for us than to have a customer that started out unhappy to then give us a rerated 5 star review. Problems can and do happen, we do our absolute best ... read more »

Best Decision

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2018

It has been a couple of months since changing to Mint Telecom.. We are a small business were looking for a new phone company including Internet we were out of contract with our previous phone company and I was having a lot of trouble just trying to renew our contract. Even tried a local company but they weren't interested either, too hard maybe because of diversions on one of our numbers? So we phoned Mint Telecom.
From the very beginning everything has been excellent. I liked when I phoned I was next in line - amazing and whoever answered the call was able to help I didn't have to be transferred to someone else. Everything was set up in about two weeks including the transfer to NBN. Our phones and internet are operating the way they should, we are very happy we changed. Mint Telecom are helpful, efficient and very professional nothing is a problem, and they are in Hobart.
I highly recommend them.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Bill, We do have a lot of experience in voice services, particularly for businesses, so definitely always able to help with these sorts of problems. Glad to hear we got it transferred efficientl... read more »

1 of 11 pages