Review rating:
Filter By:
  • 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Not What I Expected

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2017

I signed up for NBN after reading the reviews! Three NBN technicians over two weeks claim I have no internet due to the provider or their equipment. I have seen their test results but Mint bury their head and claim it is the NBN who are the problem while I have no internet at all. Nice staff but that doesn't help. VERY UNHAPPY!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Steve, As you know and as we have communicated with you, the installation is managed by NBN Co, not Mint. HFC (your type of nbn) is also all over the media currently as NBN Co have stopped se... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Very slow download speeds!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Staff are polite and professional, but the internet speed I have been experiencing on average 12-15 Mbps download with well below the minimum 25 Mbps the NBN co technician estimated I should expect. The excuses and justifications from Mint staff are not credible.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Evan, Really sorry to hear your speeds are not performing to what we'd both like. Fibre to the Node speeds are estimates and we do deliver the speed available and can easily get the actual dist... read more »

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 7 helpful votes

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Really happy that I got NBN with Mint!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

I just switched from Belong ADSL2+ to Mint FTTN. It's been a very pleasant experience I must say.

The whole transfer was done within a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hours down time, which certainly exceeded expectations. The service from sales to implementation is defintely first class and they keep you updated along the entire journey, something you don't get with the big names.

The only issues I had were my own issues with wifi interference in my house/area, which I have since fixed with a change to the modem/router settings.

The speed is 3 times faster than my old ADSL connection and I can now game lag free with no dropouts.

I highly recommend Mint and will be doing so to any who ask me. Thanks for the great sevice Mint, I really appreciate it. Also thanks to [name removed] who was a great help in getting everything sorted. Keep up the great work!!!

November 8th 2017 Update: I was duped by the overly positive reviews

So it started off well back in April 2017 when I wrote my original review. The service was working fast and lag free. Fast forward to about September and it became very slow and so laggy, making online games unplayable, especially during peak hour every night. Numerous emails to them resulted in the finger being pointed in my direction as the cause of the problem and no acknowledgment that there could be any kind of a problem on their end. Modem resets, even a new modem being sent did not fix the issue. I was told I was on the only customer having the issue, which I did not believe. I was also told that there were some upgrades planned, which seems funny to me that they planned to do upgrades that they did not need, as everything was allegedly perfect on their end. Eventually I was told that they will lodge a fault with the NBN, which I waited for over a week with no result. Smartest thing I did after this was to switch to Aussie Broadband and as I knew would happen, everything was back to how it should be. Very fast and lag free, even in peak hour. Proceed with caution and don't believe everything you see here, I was fooled. I would recommend to anyone considering Mint to go with Aussie Broadband instead, as I wish I had of done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, Great to hear the change over went smoothly, we do work very hard to keep everyone updated along the way and aim to make it as simple as possible. Also glad to hear the wifi channel chan... read more »

Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, As you know we conducted a thorough review of your fault, including when you were providing us with test results in off peak times (with no congestion anywhere on the network) that wer... read more »

The thing is none of that had changed from when it was working fine, so that leads to one explanation. Something on your end did, congestion or whatever, as it was fixed by changing the provider, ... read more »

Melbourne

• 4 comments

Disappointed NBN start!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

January 21st 2018 Update: Why are all ISPs failing their customers?

Following one year with MINT, I'm still very disappointed at the inability for them to provide much "service" as an internet service provider. 95% of the breakdowns are answered with "it's NBNs fault", there's nothing we can do about it, otherwise we will!". Which is worthless to the enduser. We really don't care which part of the middle or upper chain was the fault or cause, but we just want it fixed ASAP. I tried to check out other ISP for switch, but the comments from end users are same or even worse. Hence, it's like stuck with your bad ISP or go take a risk with a similar one or worse!!!

** just got a private message from MINT trying to stop me from publishing this review **

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Best Decision

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2018

It has been a couple of months since changing to Mint Telecom.. We are a small business were looking for a new phone company including Internet we were out of contract with our previous phone company and I was having a lot of trouble just trying to renew our contract. Even tried a local company but they weren't interested either, too hard maybe because of diversions on one of our numbers? So we phoned Mint Telecom.
From the very beginning everything has been excellent. I liked when I phoned I was next in line - amazing and whoever answered the call was able to help I didn't have to be transferred to someone else. Everything was set up in about two weeks including the transfer to NBN. Our phones and internet are operating the way they should, we are very happy we changed. Mint Telecom are helpful, efficient and very professional nothing is a problem, and they are in Hobart.
I highly recommend them.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Bill, We do have a lot of experience in voice services, particularly for businesses, so definitely always able to help with these sorts of problems. Glad to hear we got it transferred efficientl... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Highly Recommend Mint Telecom

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2018

I've been with Mint for over a year and have never had a problem with the connection, service or speed (NBN). The phone support is also fantastic. I highly recommend them.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Todd,
We work hard to ensure we deliver a great product that works all the time, so great to hear that has been your experience.
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with the feedback.

Outstanding Service and Support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

I'm having a fantastic experience with Mint. Enabling a new NBN FttN connection was as easy and fast as I had hoped, even when migrating from another ISP. When I had an issue (not the fault of Mint) Michael and his staff were extremely helpful and rectified it immediately. If only every ISP was this fantastic. Courteous, helpful and personal service. Cannot recommend them enough.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Nick, Great to hear all is going well. We do think operating out of Hobart with our experienced team allows us to provide a different level of service, so its always fantastic to hear that reson... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)

Fantastic support & staff

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2018

Local support staff are easy to reach and extremely helpful! We have never had any issues intact they gave us some really good advice to speed up our internet!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Farzin,
Great to hear you appreciate our local support and our experience has helped with some tips to improve your service.
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with the feedback, it's definitely appreciated.
Michael

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Just like the good old days

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

I've been with Mint for a couple of years now and honestly its like the good old days with netspace. Speed is fantastic i actually get what i pay for at all times of the day. And have only had to call them once my issue was sorted in minutes (issue was my own fault).
Can't fault them at all.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi DJmad, We do work hard to ensure our products deliver as not all nbn providers deliver the same end product. Great to hear it's working as it should and as we both expect for you. Thanks for ta... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Solid service and great support if you ever need it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2018

We made the switch from another major ISP (who's service had taken a dive) before and decided to pay a little more than we were to try Mint out. Our hope was that the service would be more reliable and personable, especially when it came to support.

Mint have not disappointed. Even in a case where it wasn't smooth sailing I was impressed. Our speeds were suffering and after they monitored our speeds and dropouts, several emails later (which were often out of hours and were answered within minutes) we got to the issue and it was rectified immediately.

I am extremely happy with the support (in this case Kelvin Prince). Being local they know the areas they provide service to, they don't have strong accents (which is helpful for someone hard of hearing like myself) and Kelvin in particular has gone above and beyond what I've expected from ISP support.

Very happy to recommend Mint.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Cam, That's exactly the experience we aim to deliver! There will inevitably be faults but when they do occur we really want to identify the cause and fix it, that is the big difference with our... read more »

Top notch service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

Everything about the service by Mint has just worked cleanly and efficiently.

From the initial chat regarding requirements, to scheduling the NBN hookup on the premises, to setting up the router and actually getting online. The whole service was seamless, the speeds are great, and the follow ups to check it's all good were above and beyond the call of duty.

It's great to deal with people who really get what they're doing and are trying their best to tailor the service to you.

Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a new ISP.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Stuart, Great to hear our onboarding process has really resonated with you. We are passionate about making sure services work as they are meant to and proactively follow up where we see a possib... read more »

Seamless connection, outstanding service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

I have encountered nightmares with internet providers for the last three years. The IT profession that manages my business suggested Mint Telecom.
From my first email to Mint Telecom the process was seamless. The sales team called me back during a 45 minute window of availability at work, the modem arrived in less than 24 hours, they convinced me to get the cheaper rather than most expensive plan and my wife plugged in the modem and instantly it connected with the best download speed we have experienced for years.
Further, we received an email after we connected to make sure there were not problems.
I could not recommend this service any more highly.
Mint Telecom is Mint!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Craig, Sounds exactly like the result we plan and aim for! Re the speeds, we do ask a few more questions than others and look to place customers on the plan that best suits their needs vs one si... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Refreshingly different experience !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

Had the team at Mint set up a home/business NBN connection recently ! Trouble free experience & the service was exceptional from start to finish. Great to deal with local company who obviously get it !

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Andrew, Our preconfigured modems really do make a difference and really make the setup process nice and easy. Operating from Hobart does also make us nice and easy to reach and deal with as well... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Mint go beyond what is expected

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

Really refreshing to have the company manager proactively call me to notify of any service changes and improvements.

makes you feel like you actually are an important customer.

Good work Mint - keep it up.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Fergus, We definitely like to be proactive and as a small business we all get involved, which definitely includes myself! All our customers are important to us, we appreciate all the support we ... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTC (Fibre to the Curb)

You'll find no better service anyway, in anything.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

Top product with 5 star + service.
We have an NBN connection that near faultless. Any issues have been fixed immediately and customer service is proactive in communication.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Mr Pete, NBN really is a great product and yes, we are very unique in that we monitor all our services on a daily basis and when we see a problem may exist we are on the front foot to see if we ... read more »

SECOND TO NONE!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

My Goodness!!! From quotes to connection this service has been the best! the them and CONNECTION are something I am yet to see anywhere else and no one has come close to it. Both for business use and personal this is the provider so reliable and efficient! no drop outs and they have even followed up to see if we are happy just one of the many examples that sets them apart from the rest. I'm not sorry with anything from start to finish! wish I knew about them earlier.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Denielle, We put a lot of focus into our onboarding process to ensure its very clear for each step and that you are informed throughout the process - great to hear that has resonated with you! ... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Simply Awesome

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

Getting going was really easy, staff were super helpful during that process, connection and speed have been excellent from day one, no speed drops like previous provider, loving Mint

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Tommy, Awesome to hear its all worked well. Unlike others we focus on making sure our products deliver the speeds you are able to get at all times. Nothing worse than your service being unusabl... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Great Plans and Company for NBN

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

Set up was easy and the customer service has always been on point. The rare times I needed extra help or support it was greeted and handled exceptional attention. Have to love a set and forget experience.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Dave,
Set and forget is exactly what we aim for! Our interests are aligned to deliver a great product so you don't need to speak with us, but we are always here if required and nice and easy to reach and deal with from Hobart.

1 of 11 pages