Review rating:
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

Melbourne

• 4 comments

Disappointed NBN start!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

You are not a number (I love'um)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

Mint telecom. The very best costume service I've come across whether it's the uk or aus no one comes close to matching them for costumer satisfaction. Mint take the time and will walk you through what you need to do.
You are mint!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Mat,
Thanks for the great review. Your feedback is exactly what we strive for with regard to service and support out of Hobart.
Glad to hear its all working well and thanks again for taking the time to provide the feedback.
Michael

Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Great customer service and fast reliable network

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Great customer service. Great price for the speed and GB. Fast set up by installer. Have no drop outs. Recommended internet dealer.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Delle,
Glad to hear it all went with for the installation and that you appreciate our service out of Hobart.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the recommendation, its much appreciated.

Langwarrin

• 2 comments
  • 5 answers
Private message

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Absolutely Fabulous Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

We have recently switched from a major telco, after continuing problems with the internet and loss of landline phone services.
The service from Michael and the staff has been absolutely fabulous. They have been helpful with any query, did what they said they were going to do and we have been switched over with our landline and NBN and have had no problems whatsoever! Not being a computer buff, there was a slight problem with our landline, but one phone call to Kel and 2 minutes later we had connection.
Congratulations to the MINT Team, you deserve your five star rating. Actually would have given you a higher rating had there been more stars to give!
First class Customer Service, First class feedback in giving step by step instructions and advice. Just amazing Telco and Australian owned, which is a huge bonus.
Just a pity they do not do mobile service, otherwise they would have had all my business.
Once again, thank you for making the switch so effortless.
Our business will be yours for life!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Sue, Really pleased to hear that the changeover was smooth and that all the problems that were previously being experienced with a different provider are not evident with us. NBN really is one o... read more »

Hurstville

Outstanding customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

I had the ADSL connected yesterday and had trouble with MAC configurations (internal) phoned for help and a gentleman talked me through the process. The process was handled efficiently and I even got a SMS later that evening just to see if everything was working and if I was happy. The whole process from start to finish was handled with old fashion service. I am recommending to all my work colleagues.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ming, We do think operating from Hobart is our secret. Nice and easy to reach and deal with, which when coupled with our years of experience makes the process as simple as possible. Glad to hear... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

No mess no fuss, just good customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2017

I got connected to the nbn recently. These guys we're really helpful and made it super easy. I'm a bit of a noob but they sorted it all out with no worries

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Hazza, We try to make it as simple as possible to get online and preconfiguring our modems so that they just need plugging in are a big part of that. Operating from Hobart also makes it easy to ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Great to deal with Aussies again.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

Once NBN was rolled out into my area I was faced with the dreaded task of finding a provider.
A mate who has his own business which relies heavily on reliable internet suggested mint.
The next day I gave them a call and was soon signed up with the new pre configured modem in the mail.
I was left wondering if their was a catch as this type of thing shouldn't be so easy.
A bit over a week later I recieved a text from mint telling me my connection was ready to go. Out came the new modem, plugged it in, signed into the new network and we were away. Not even I could stuff it up!
The next day I recieved an E-mail from the Customer care Manager asking if everything was up and running ok. I replied "all good thanks" and with in a couple of minutes he replied back with a few tips if something does go wrong.
You don't get that sort of personal service much these days!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wilko, 99% of the time NBN installations are pretty effortless. Obviously with such a large infrastructure project there are always exceptions and it can be difficult as we don't manage the act... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Mint Telecom Team are 1st Class!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2017

I have just had the NBN connected by Mint and I can't have been more pleased with the service that I have received. I put a lot of time into looking at which was the best NBN provider to go with by looking at all the deals, reviews and spoke to friends about their experiences. I was also a bit wary of a smaller provider but now I am so glad I did. Mint delivered with everything they promised and nothing was a bother. I am not very tech savvy and their customer service is 1st class. Thanks to all the team at Mint Telecom.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ian, Really pleased to hear it all went well for you. We may be smaller, however experience is what we believe matters most and with over 30+ years in the industry across our senior leadership... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Mint Telecom are ACE! Can't go beyond!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

MInt Telecom were absolutely fantastic to deal with. One comment from us and their rep had a trail of inquiries lodged on our behalf, all ending with a NBN connection up and running when all other telco companions told us NBN was off the cards. I can't recommend these guys enough. We had people working on our side when all other telecom companies had waved a white flag of surrender. You won't be disappointed. A person/client friendly business who have your best interests at heart.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Will, Its amazing what a difference common sense and experience can make in the process of getting connected. Really pleased to get sorted for you and to get you online. Thanks for taking the t... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Mint team are perfect./

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2017

Had to move to the NBN quickly because of letter from Optus. Mint did everything promptly and with no hassle to me. Connected in 2 weeks. Australian call centre is worth gold.
Many thanks to Mint.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Grandy, Whilst we don't control the process to connect, as that is managed by NBN Co directly, we do work very hard on making sure everything within our control is actioned as quickly and effici... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Excellent service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2017

Fabulous service from the very first contact! Quick and easy! And great reception! I would recommend Mint in a heartbeat!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rachel,
Operating from Hobart does make us very easy to reach and to deal with.
Glad to hear its all gone well and as we both expect.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback.

hobart

Fantastic service !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

My previous internet supplier took a month to get me reconnected despite me having to call them at least twice a day to get updates. As soon as I was back on line I signed up with Mint and was enjoying good NBN speeds within 24 hours ! Fantastic personal service. I can't fault them.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rick, Not sure why it took others two months, certainly a frustrating experience for you. Glad to have you online and operating and, of course, it's really pleasing to hear you value our serv... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

We have recently connected to the NBN with the endless help from the highly recommended Kelvin.
The whole process ran smoothly (we connected at a very problematic time with the NBN service just becoming available in the area and problems with Telstra and still only had a 2 week service connection wait time) and the service has been continually excellent. Little things like easy data tracking and direct debit courtesy reminder emails make everything run smoothly for clients. If we ever have any questions, they are always responded to extremely fast too! Very happy with our service and would happily recommend to anyone looking for a provider.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Julie, Great to hear your connection went well. With regard to the little things, we think they are really important as getting them right tends to take care of the bigger things. Thanks for ... read more »

Sydney

• 1 question

Excellent customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

Phoned and answered within three rings this morning, spoke to a gentleman who was very knowledgeable. I was treated with respect, not just a number. All my concerns were answered. I finished the call in a great mood. Thank you

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ming, Our wait times are typically non existent, however on the odd occasion where there is a queue we do also provide the option to leave a message and we call you back (always within the hour... read more »

• 13 helpful votes

Excellent communication

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

I had a chat with one of their tech team, he was very nice and friendly and honest, didn't try to push me to switch to their service. I don't have a service with them but I liked the way they treat people.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Khashayar,
We do go out of our way to communicate as effectively as we can with our customers. Operating from Hobart is what sets us apart in our opinion.
Definitely let us know if we can help out in the future.

Best ISP ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Brilliant isp best ever so good was the customer service that they never stopped trying to fix my internet speed and drop outs.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Rob, One of the issues we tackle from time to time is problems on the network not directly related to the service that we are providing (particularly common on copper ADSL services). With our ... read more »

Sydney

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Seamless Customer Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Switching over from other bigger named ISPs. Couldn't be happier with the service and customer care that Mint has employed. I'm used to waiting +3 weeks after moving into a new unit but Mint had my services up and running within a day of moving! ADSL modem is also NBN ready. I will be continuing on with their services for the foreseeable future.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ted, The only waiting around with us is where we are restricted by network constraints, we know how important internet is for people these days so we do everything we can to get customers up and... read more »

Hobart

An exemplary ISP

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Before we moved to Tasmania 3 months ago I organised to have an internet connection set up at the property we rented. There were a few issues regarding getting the service number for the property as the owner was overseas but once we had that then the process was extrememly smooth and we had the internet up and running the morning after we moved in. Initially elected for the 50/20 plan and was advised that as the NBN was new in the area we may have problems getting that speed. We best rate we got was 29/7 in the first month so we switched to the 25/5 plan with no questions asked. The connection has been flawless and I have full confidence that Mint will deal with any problems if they arise.

I have experience dealing with Telstra for over 40 years and am happy to have "Telstra free life" here in Tasmania with Mint. We will shortly be moving to our new house which has FTTP so will be looking forward to the 100/40 plan. The NBN needs to do the installation at the property so that could be interesting but I am certain that Mint will be both contactable and willing to resolve any issues.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, We do work hard on our onboarding experience so pleased to here that it all went well. Re the FTTP move, we will definitely be there to help. It is important to note that the installatio... read more »

1 of 7 pages