Filter By:
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Very slow download speeds!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Staff are polite and professional, but the internet speed I have been experiencing on average 12-15 Mbps download with well below the minimum 25 Mbps the NBN co technician estimated I should expect. The excuses and justifications from Mint staff are not credible.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Evan, Really sorry to hear your speeds are not performing to what we'd both like. Fibre to the Node speeds are estimates and we do deliver the speed available and can easily get the actual dist... read more »

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Proceed with caution!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2017

I have to agree with another reviewer who said 'they found it strange that this business had so many positive reviews!'

Having had a bad experience with Telstra, I made the decision that I would try an Australian company, I chose Mint Telecom.

My request was to have an ADSL connected to my apartment and that I didn't need a phone. All the checks were done, I was told it was possible and an initial fee of $70.80 was charged to my card. Correspondence from Mint confirmed my activation date. Two days after the activation date with no service and no contact from Mint, I called them only to be told that there was an issue with my connection. After they investigated further they informed me that Telstra needed to come out and connect the line with an expected cost from $70-$150. Since I'd only disconnected with Telstra several days earlier, I was perplexed as to why I needed to be charged again for a line that I knew was already connected? I delayed the connection by a day until I spoke to Telstra.

Telstra were uncertain as to why I was being charged, although Mint told me that the issue was with another part of Telstra so the area I rang wouldn't have known about the fault. So after consideration I decided to continue with the connection as I was informed by Mint that the costs would apply regardless of who I went with but at least it would eventuate in an active service.

Once again, I was given an activation date and still nothing so once more I contacted Mint only to be told that I couldn't have the service after all and that all the lines had been taken.

The consultant told me that I'd still be charged due to the fact that it wasn't their fault and that they were able to provide me with a telephone line (which I'd clearly stated that I didn't need), regardless of the fact that I had NOTHING to show for approximately $220. After a lengthy discussion I was informed that I could continue to stay with Mint, paying a monthly fee for the telephone line (that I didn't need) and wait for a line to become available for the ADSL or they would terminate my contract, HOWEVER, I'd still have to pay for the technician. I told them that I was unhappy with the result and I wanted the night to think it over, it was at this stage I was informed that they'd go halves with technicians fee ONLY and they were going to cancel my contract - end of story! I then proceeded to tell them that they could not deduct money from my account and that I wasn't authorizing them to do so - THEY DID IT ANYWAY! The bank informed me that they could block the company from accessing my account again however because they used a third party - Ezi Debit they couldn't block this business from debiting my account!

This forced me to directly contact the owner who had a less-than-amazing ability to dance around the issue. The excuses provided were, 'it's Telstra's fault', 'it's your fault' and then 'we're ONLY a small business and can't afford to pay this'.The rationale used in order for them to keep my money was truly astounding. I was then directed that I needed to send back the modem and ONLY then, would they reimburse me for the cost of postage. The result was that I was now approximately $140 poorer and with nothing to show for this, plus having to pay more to send the modem back. It was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to negotiate with this person therefore I had no choice but to employ the services of the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

End result:
Mint Telecom were instructed that no unauthorized funds were to be taken from my account.
The business had to provide a prepaid envelope for the return of their modem.
Mint had to return the $70.80 that they had 'IN ERROR' debited from my account.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman determined that Telstra had been largely at fault, therefore I made the decision to pay half of the technicians cost of $70.80.

This business doesn't have enough clout to offer what the larger telecommunication companies are being able to deliver nor does it have a strong customer focus (near enough is good enough philosophy) however what is more terrifying than anything else is that someone can determine how much they want to take from your account and 'IN ERROR' follow through!

I have since gone through Vividwireless and the experience has been amazing!!! EASY, no contracts and lovely consultants!!

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Carrie, I can assure you the reviews on this site are from real customers and are unprompted. And yes, your experience was not the outcome either of us were looking for, we definitely agree.... read more »

Your summary: sounds plausible, although is not entirely accurate/truthful but thank you for taking the time to respond!

All the best for the future.

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Really happy that I got NBN with Mint!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

I just switched from Belong ADSL2+ to Mint FTTN. It's been a very pleasant experience I must say.

The whole transfer was done within a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hours down time, which certainly exceeded expectations. The service from sales to implementation is defintely first class and they keep you updated along the entire journey, something you don't get with the big names.

The only issues I had were my own issues with wifi interference in my house/area, which I have since fixed with a change to the modem/router settings.

The speed is 3 times faster than my old ADSL connection and I can now game lag free with no dropouts.

I highly recommend Mint and will be doing so to any who ask me. Thanks for the great sevice Mint, I really appreciate it. Also thanks to [name removed] who was a great help in getting everything sorted. Keep up the great work!!!

November 8th 2017 Update: I was duped by the overly positive reviews

So it started off well back in April 2017 when I wrote my original review. The service was working fast and lag free. Fast forward to about September and it became very slow and so laggy, making online games unplayable, especially during peak hour every night. Numerous emails to them resulted in the finger being pointed in my direction as the cause of the problem and no acknowledgment that there could be any kind of a problem on their end. Modem resets, even a new modem being sent did not fix the issue. I was told I was on the only customer having the issue, which I did not believe. I was also told that there were some upgrades planned, which seems funny to me that they planned to do upgrades that they did not need, as everything was allegedly perfect on their end. Eventually I was told that they will lodge a fault with the NBN, which I waited for over a week with no result. Smartest thing I did after this was to switch to Aussie Broadband and as I knew would happen, everything was back to how it should be. Very fast and lag free, even in peak hour. Proceed with caution and don't believe everything you see here, I was fooled. I would recommend to anyone considering Mint to go with Aussie Broadband instead, as I wish I had of done.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, Great to hear the change over went smoothly, we do work very hard to keep everyone updated along the way and aim to make it as simple as possible. Also glad to hear the wifi channel chan... read more »

Mint Telecom Official

Hi Danich, As you know we conducted a thorough review of your fault, including when you were providing us with test results in off peak times (with no congestion anywhere on the network) that wer... read more »

The thing is none of that had changed from when it was working fine, so that leads to one explanation. Something on your end did, congestion or whatever, as it was fixed by changing the provider, ... read more »

Melbourne

• 5 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Disappointed NBN start!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

Applied for the 100 mps installation package with MINT in early March (when my area was ready for the new NBN layout). Was then told it'll be over a month of wait till 12th of April before NBN could spare the time to connect the inside of my home (even the house was already setup with the external facility).
Finally the day arrives. Was told I'll get an SMS or email from the installer a few days before hand stating the time. NADA on that. Enquiring with MINT gave me a time slot of 12 to 4 pm. So expectation was high as I waited at home all the way till 4pm with zero SMS or email contact from NBN.

Finally, the truck shows up at 4:50 pm! The guy comes in with mobile on the ear (was on the phone 2/3s of the time he was here). Tells me I cannot have the connection box close to my TV in the lounge room since the external connection was installed too far away!

Finally got internet up at around 7pm. Thinking this is going to be joy as I look forward to the 100 mps promised data download. First issue came as the "spinning wheel" continues on my internet download. Checking with several speed testing app reveals a speed of 8.5 mps download and 11 mps upload over Ethernet.

Checked with MINT and went through all possible confirmation points. But over the next few days, the highest I got from the modem was over 50 mps during one morning (4 am), which quickly dropping back below 20 mps at 6 am. A far cry so far from the 100 mps promised and paying for!

MINT tells me they've launched an CVC error request to NBN, but has no idea when they'll come around to checking (or fixing the situation).

It's probably not a fault of MINT, but surely doesn't give the consumer that's paying for the installation and highest monthly fee a very good feeling to the start of NBN era !

Got a reply from MINT before I went public with this review: I said "I am paying for the highest rate and getting the lowest rate" Reply from MINT: "at least you have service" !

Not good enough!

January 21st 2018 Update: Why are all ISPs failing their customers?

Following one year with MINT, I'm still very disappointed at the inability for them to provide much "service" as an internet service provider. 95% of the breakdowns are answered with "it's NBNs fault", there's nothing we can do about it, otherwise we will!". Which is worthless to the enduser. We really don't care which part of the middle or upper chain was the fault or cause, but we just want it fixed ASAP. I tried to check out other ISP for switch, but the comments from end users are same or even worse. Hence, it's like stuck with your bad ISP or go take a risk with a similar one or worse!!!

** just got a private message from MINT trying to stop me from publishing this review **

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Wil, We definitely agree it's not a great start to NBN for you. As we have already advised we unfortunately have no control over the installation process including delivery, or not, of sms' fr... read more »

thank you Michael. I understand there are points which are out of control of MINT. But as a consumer, all I know is MINT is the provider I paid installation cost, monthly fee etc. Hence, you are th... read more »

The inconsistence continues with the NBN.. 100/40 mps package but I'm hardly getting more than 15 mps download speed!

• 5 helpful votes

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

Signed up with Mint Telecom because the salesman told me it was $99 plus delivery to set it all up which included the modem and running a new phone line from the box outside to the inside of the house, then I was told it would cost an extra $350 to run the phone line. I cancelled the service because if they can't even get it right from the beginning what will it be like when I'm signed into a contract.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi David, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately sales people in the field don't have full access to network infrastructure information - that is why we check... read more »

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

The best customer service I have experienced

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2018

The customer service was second to none, also the speed and price of mint is great for what we need it for.
Thank you Kelvin for all of your assistance.
Highly recommend

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Nicole,
Glad to hear our service ethos has resonated with you.
Appreciate you taking the time to provide us with the feedback.

• 2 helpful votes

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Dont bother with the big ones

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

Like Bunnings and Harvey Norman, the big companies waste your time and rip you off. Mint is small and gets on with the job. It DOES the job. Not like Optus and Telstra.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Joz, We definitely like to think of ourselves a little like the microbrew beer industry. There are always the giants, but there is also a lot of options within the smaller players to suit all ... read more »

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Outstanding product and customer service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

Having switched to Mint from another provider almost a year ago we have been blown away by the customer service and product that they supply! Sign on process was very easy and with a preconfigured modem delivered to our door, getting online was a breeze! Couldn't rate them more highly and would recommend them to anyone, being locally owned and operated is also a plus!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi AndyP, Great to hear that not only the process of getting onboard was fine but that 1 year on everything continues to work as we both expect it to. Whilst we operate nationally, we are proud Tas... read more »

Deliver on their promises

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

We've been with MINT for over six months now.
The things that stand out .......
Exemplary customer service - I wish these guys would publish their training manual for others to follow...just an amazing level of care...minimal waits if any...friendly, fast and easy to communicate with.
EFFICIENCY - everything has been dealt with/delivered promptly. I reported a line fault on a Sunday and it was fixed Monday morning!
HONESTY - my previous ISP (and others) tried to sell me speeds that, by NBN Co's own reckoning, weren't achievable in our area! MINT straight up recommended I buy a cheaper package until better speeds become available. .."after all upgrading is easier than downgrading"
I don't write many reviews but feel compelled to spread the word that I have finally found the perfect telco.
Get on board! You wont regret it.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Dayle, I'm not so sure we'd want to share our secret sauce! Although, in our view it's all about operating from Hobart and having very experienced staff - and it's very pleasing to hear that res... read more »

Perfect internet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

Got nbn now through mint telecom, initial setup easy as with mint, nbn set up great also, reliable connection finally . Had problems with getting connect on modem (my end) rang mint and they helped with setting my acc up with no drama. Highly recommend mint

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Nico,
Great to hear the onboarding was simple and that we could fix the minor issue for you quickly.
Also really pleased the service is working as we both expect it to.
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Just been set up recently the speed is fast and the service has been impeccable.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

I'm really satisfied with my service thus far I am not certain how you could improve it. Speed the fast connection was easy

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Brad,
Great to hear that feedback, it's exactly what we aim to deliver as we want the process to be as simple and seamless as possible.

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

I'd say worth the wait, but there was no wait!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

After hearing about Mint via an friend on Facebook who had their internet disrupted and somehow got an answer to why in less than 2 minutes I was shocked, I though "no way is there an ISP that can provide that level of service to their customers. Then I learnt that Mint was bassed in Hobart, in Tasmania, and I live up on the north west coast. I immediately started talking to Mint about fees and issues changing to them, and after about 3 weeks of thinking about it, I bit the bullet, not only am I paying almost half of what I was paying with iPrimus, it was 3 days for the internet to be switched over and 2 days for modem delivery. The modem (I paid $50 extra for an upgrade so when we get NBN in October we are set.) Is definately worth it.
When I called Kelvin he got all my details from our Facebook chat so I didn't have to repeat them, signing up took all but 10 minutes, they have a fantastic rewards program, especially for us as we cruise almost once a year when we can.
I could not recommend Mint anymore than I am. When we get NBN in October, I'll be even happier.
I think I've found my ISP for life.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Ryan, Great to hear the onboarding process was as smooth as we expect and that you have really noticed the difference our focus on service can make. The rewards program is also awesome, we are v... read more »

Exellent customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

The quality of customer service I find to be extremely high, and very responsive. This is my first exposure to NBN / VDSL and so far it is proving very pleasing. Too early to tell if there will be dropouts, etc but I understand that much / all of this is at the door of NBNco anyway unlike in ADSL days where there was often significant control and ownership of hardware at the exchanges, by the ISPs.
Setup process from initial inquiry to up-and-running very smooth and the NBNco tech was also very efficient. Mint was recommended by a friend and I have no hesitation in recommending others.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Denis, In general NBN is far better than a lot of the media it receives. It is important to do some research and it is also one of those products where cheaper is rarely better. Great to hear a... read more »

Hobart

Private message

Connection Type: NBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Outstanding. Best ever support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

We have had wonderful service ever since connecting. There have been a couple of minor dropouts over the past year but in each case they turned out to be NBN trunk issues. I think I have contacted them 4 or 5 times with queries and each time there was an immediate response via the live chat online, with complete resolution to my satisfaction. The fact that they are local in Tasmania is a huge bonus.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Simon, Our live online chat is certainly popular and makes it nice and easy to reach us. Also its always great to hear our operations out of Hobart is appreciated, whilst we operate nationally w... read more »

Very Pleased. Fast and efficient

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

We decided to go with Mint Telecom even though it was a little more expensive than the big companies because the reviews were just about all excellent. We were frustrated with our original provider due to poor service. Also we live in Tasmania and wanted to support our local company. We are in a rural area and changed to Mint when we got NBN (FTTN).

The difference for us from the previous provider and ADSL is phenomenal. Previously there were regular dropouts, slow response times from them and recently their phone help was non-existent, just a call centre treating me like I was unintelligent.... With Mint we have had ongoing customer service of a high standard (thank you Kelvin) plus, most importantly, high speed continual streaming. I have waited for 6 weeks before giving our feedback just to be sure that the first flush of joy and success would continue and YES it has!

I watched the FIFA World Cup through SBS on demand with no dropouts or poor images, Netflix loads so fast and Youtube too. Even at the popular times like Friday and Saturday nights my speed does not change. We can have more than one device using the NBN at the same time and it still runs swiftly.

The set-up was easy and quick, within days of signing up we were linked to NBN and on the day and time they said. The modem was sent to our home and as it was FTTN I just had to connect it up for immediate access. Since then we have enjoyed continual fast use with no problems.

Any and every contact that I have had with Mint has been instant, they respond immediately, and they answer my questions fully. We are so glad to have moved to Mint, and expect to renew our contract every 6 months into the future.

To sum up - SUPER FAST SPEED
- NO DROPOUTS
- EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Thank you Mint for a pain free easy process and internet service - 5 stars *

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Judith, That's a pretty comprehensive review and awesome feedback for us and for Kelvin. Really pleased to hear its working exactly as we both expect and that our strong focus on service is shi... read more »

Hi Michael I wanted to give as much info as possible as that is what helped me when reading other people's reviews. Connection, ongoing service and customer support are the main questions we have a... read more »

Six Star Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

Moved across to Mint about 6 months ago from an extinct flightless bird, and whilst my previous ISP's service was reasonable, Mint is in a league of their own!

From the day I decided to make the move, the dealings with Michael and his team at Mint has been nothing but smooth sailing. Recently I noticed some dropouts in my ADSL2 service (NBN is still a dream 2 years away) and before I had a chance to contact them, I surprisingly received a call from their Tasmanian-based Technical team advising that they had picked up a problem on their end. Impressive to say the least!! Whilst I am reasonably IT savvy, we worked together (including emails over the weekend) to isolate the issue to some equipment problem on my side.

The only regret I have is not moving across to Mint much earlier ....and not having NBN :-)

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Geoff, We monitor drop outs on our customer base on a daily basis so that when we identify a potential problem we are able to get in front of it to try to fix as quickly as possible. These days... read more »

Fantastic proactive service from start to finish - Highly recommend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

We used Mint when we went to the NBN. From our first contact they have been amazing. We have had 2 problems (not their fault), and before we could even raise them with Mint they had proactively flagged the issues and got it fixed. Absolutely 5 stars. So quick to reply, so easy to deal with, even made suggestions that saved us money on our plan. Cannot recommend Mint highly enough!!

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi TomGong, One of our points of difference is our proactive approach to reviewing issues. Where we notice a service that may not be working quite right (we monitor daily) we will shoot you an ema... read more »

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

First rate service - Other ISPs should send their staff to Mint Telecom for training

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2018

Moving to a beach house in a rural area with limited access on the NSW South Coast, Telstra owns all the infrastructure there - no Optus or TPG alternatives. Telstra wouldn't tell me what level of service they could provide unless I opened an account with them first. No thank you - I have no faith or trust in Telstra. So I checked this website and found Mint. They were just fantastic. Their call centre is in Hobart so no foreign accents on dodgy lines and long queues - they answered straight away and in language I could understand. They explained the situation that only ADSL ports were available at the exchange and answered in plain language all my questions. They didn't promise anything they couldn't deliver and were completely honest with me about what I could expect given the lack of ADSL2 ports at the exchange, the fact that NBN is 9 months away at this location and that Telstra would not be upgrading or expanding their infrastructure there to provide more ADSL2 ports. So I signed up at 10.00am on 24 July. The phone line at the house was activated and the modem was delivered the next morning (remember this is a rural area) and that afternoon I was on line - ie only 30 hours from opening my account with Mint. I wasn't sure how to set up the modem but the guy at their call centre answered the phone straight away (absolutely no waiting) and talked me through it in a couple of minutes. The service works perfectly - no dropouts and I was able to watch ABCiView that same night. I cannot recommend their service highly enough. I didn't know companies that provided this level of service still existed. Long may they prosper.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Doug, Thanks for the great review. We do think our years of experience in the industry makes a difference and you have articulated that difference very well indeed. We don't make promises on th... read more »

Verified Customer Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Simply wonderful to deal with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2018

Just a great experience dealing with Mint. Friendly and very helpful staff - and not pushy. Had an issue which was my fault and they fixed it in no time at all. NBN speeds match what I was promised, easy and quick set up, hasn't missed a beat. Love the post connect contact to see how everything was going. Would recommend to anyone wanting a reliable and stress free provider.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi JohnG,
Great to hear our service out of Hobart is making all the difference and that the product is working as we both expect it to.
Thank you for the recommendation and for taking the time to provide us with the feedback.

Excellent communication, seamless transfer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2018

The service I received from Mint Telecom was faultless. Communication throughout the transfer from my existing provider was excellent, and the switch over was seamless. Little touches like SMS notifications of emails to ensure they were received were really helpful.
Could not recommended them any higher.

Comments
Mint Telecom Official

Hi Lap, We work really hard on our onboarding process to make it as simple as possible. Fully preconfigured modems so you just have to plug them in, emails and/or SMS updates all along the way to k... read more »

1 of 12 pages