Perth

Verified Customer

Some problems for a branch closure

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

The service provided by NAB is generally OK. I like the very intuitive and easy to use website. Also the phone help desk seems to be very quick. However I have been recently disappointed by the closure of the branch where I initially opened my bank account. This meant that I have been re-assigned to another branch and my BSB number was changed. This caused a domino effect of events that actually were not very nice. The bank sent me a letter that was not entirely clear when I could use the new bank details. The phone support gave me inconsistent indications. I would recommend NAB not to change the account details next time they close a branch as this can cause several inconveniences.

Albury

• 4 helpful votes

So over the top.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

Had to go into NAB to sort some paperwork. Customer service is efficient but the people skills eg manners, greetings, chat etc is over the top. I was greeted with Madame for a start sooo 18oo's and l don't run a brothel so try madam pls. Chatter etc was very fake and forced. Try getting outdoors more guys,less screen time will help with people skills. And ENOUGH with the upselling, this is not Maccas!!

• 1 review

ATM disappearing

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2018

Well I was pretty disappointed to see the NAB are removing their ATMS throughout Highpoint shopping centre. Not impressed. There is one bank in the centre of the complex. You're not really considering the needs of the elderly or the disabled

• 2 helpful votes

Online statements

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2018

I have being a customer of nab about 6 years.
I have recently had some untracked withdrawals from my account. On a nabs online statement, you can only see a purchase amount and date.
This should also tell the location and time. Other banks in south australia do have this option avaliable. I work 9-530 nearly 6 days a week. Trying to get to a branch to talk to someone is nearly impossible with the short hours nab does. Why cant banks be open earlier or later ?

Hamilton vic.

• 1 answer
  • 183 helpful votes
Private message

Not the best but no fees are good how long i don't know.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2017

tried to get a loan to get a house and was fed a lot of crap and it sad because they're make people pay stamp duty
and lies to consumers make me sick how people are treated like idiots on this planet 1% need to go now wake up people wake up as soon as they're gone the sooner we can all live in peace and free.

• 1 review

Verified Customer

Debit card did not get posted.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2017

I applied for a debit account card at a branch three weeks has passed my card was no where to be found. They told me I would recieve it after 7 days. I called the bank branch and they said, they have requested another one. Not satisfied with their service.

Cessnock

Private message

Someone is finally addressing my issue

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

This post is an update. Someone from nab is helping with my refund issue. I am happy it is being sorted out. Stay tuned for more updates.

ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

I joined NAB due their "less take, more give" campaign and they are defs better than other big 4 banks but have room for improvement

Hobart

Private message

Nab - An interesting bunch.

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2016

Started off well with NAB. Left our credit union due to a bad experience & was impressed with NAB'S personal service (after hours home visits to sort home loan paperwork etc.) There was some teething problems but that happens, have our business banking through NAB, applied for a business credit card which was accepted quickly, it then took nearly 3 months to actually get the card, lucky we didn't need it urgently. Lots of phone calls, lots of excuses, just a pain really.
Are currently refinancing our home loan - It has already taken 6 weeks & now due to "system problems" looks like at least another 2 -3 weeks before we will have final paper work to sign.
Is 2 months a normal waiting period for a straight forward refinancing of mortgage? We provided all documentation within a day or two of any requests. Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on the wait time?

Pro's - NAB are good if you get a good person to deal with & hold onto them.
Con's - NAB are not so good if you just have to deal with any old customer service member,

• 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

Stop trying to sell me something EVERY TIME I come in

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2015

I have banked with NAB for almost 20 years. Generally I'm pretty happy. But, I am getting increasingly frustrated by tellers trying to sell me something each and every time I go in. I don't even want to go into a branch any more because I don't actually want someone delving into my private affairs (do I have a home loan, do I have plans for my savings, do I want to change insurance...), when I am just trying to do some simply banking and get on with my day. It's just such blatant money-grabbing and it makes me feel quite uncomfortable, I shouldn't have to disclose my personal circumstances like that! If I DID want help with any financial products, I'd come to you and it would feel less like it was being shoved down my throat!! Maybe NAB could develop some sort of system where customers are only interrogated in this way every third or forth branch visit, rather than every single time...

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
National Australia Bank Official

Hey J80, I'm so sorry about this frustrating experience! I definitely want to follow this up for you. Please send through an email to social.media@nab.com.au and we'll chat further - talk soon! ^JM

• 25 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2010

The bank is a very good bank with some excellent products. Like any business if you slightly default on your payment they still require their payment and have no problems with banks persueing their money. However, National Australia Bank appeared to be over zealious in their collections and caused my stress than solutions, didn't care about personal circumstances just their money.

+ Initially very easy to deal with and very helpful. Good products, no hassles for years. Found that whilst it was joint benefical for both myself and the bank that all was very good with very helpful staff.

- Got into a little difficulty making repayments but still made the payments, whilst they may have been slightly late, still within the month. The company hounded me like I was a criminal each time the account got slightly overdue.

• 15 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2010

I would give them a C+. They are pretty good compared to other banks but could be better like having more flexabilty.

+ We do our bussiness banking with NAB and haove always found the counter staff to be helpful and friendly. Fees seem fairly low compared to other banks.

- Quite inflexable to change account features like who can sign for the account.

• 49 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2010

If you want good rates especially on deposit accounts and term deposits. Give NAB a go (although Westpac is better).

If you want anything else like customer service, intuitive online banking and basically everything. Go elsewhere.

Optus customer service = NAB service

+ * Great intrest rate on deposit account and other offerings (better than ANZ and Commonwealth, but worse than Westpac)

- * Not friendly service. I definitely agree with the other reviews. They seem like they are stuck-up. And worry more about he size of your bank account and if you are a high-class citizen (i.e. have a high salary or businessman) rather than on you... as a person. So I don't think that consumers would find this bank very friendly. Go with ANZ or Westpac for more customer service.

* They also lost one of my identity cards, when I was opening my account... talk about incompetence! When they finally found they sent it back in a small envelope with no apology. Just the card in a normal 50 cent postage environment. And... this is coming from the largest bank in Australia (by assets)!

* Online banking annoying in Firefox, tried to go online banking and kept directing me to main page everytime, until I try 3 or 4 times each time.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne, Victoria

• 12 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2010

I have a National bank account for a number of years. I know the National Bank have been slack with paying high interest like the other big banks, until the entry of such banks as ING DIRECT and HSBC. However, the National Bank does come with good customer service and numerous branch and ATM locations. They have branches scattered around Australia and regional areas.
I recommend it for those that require convenience and require a bank account for daily needs.

+ A lot of branches which are handy. Good customer service. Regional locations

- Lines can take long due to many customers, interest rates are relatively low compared to other banks. No weekend opening times.

• 115 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2010

I have banked with the NAB in the past and they do have a lot of available branches around. I not long ago set up a junior childs account for my toddler and that is a good account even though it does not pay much interest. I found the customer service to be ok but not overly great or what I would expect from a major bank. It is also a shame they don't offer passport accounts for children as that is an easy way to keep track of the account.

+ Lots of branches, good accounts for children.

- Not that great in terms of customer service.

• 19 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 26, 2010

Not a bad effort, have had much worse service. If you are after consistency, I would much prefer to deal with branch staff over the call centre.

+ The accounts we currently use have just changed over to fee free. Their internet banking is user friendly and allow you to future date transactions. My local branch staff are great - easy to talk to and very helpful.

- The call centre is a bit hit and miss, sometimes you get a great person and other times you get a very clueless person talking to you. I have had issues with expired cards (both credit and atm) not being replaced in time and then being accused of losing the new card, really had to be firm with them about this issue. I dont like how they try to flog their other products to you when you go into a branch (eg, ctp, contents insurance).

Bell, NSW, NSW

• 3 answers
  • 36 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2010

When I was with the bank a few years ago they were OK but the interest rates on the savings accounts were a little lower than the other banks. I did not like the range of credit cards - not enough I thought and the interest rates were revolting. If you have been with them for years you need to shop around for different accounts because the chances of getting a better deal on your banking needs are better now.

+ Customer service was great at branches
Staff knew the products that was available

- The fees were OK but could have been improved

• 86 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2009

Generally a good bank. I have dealt with them for years. The staff in our local branch make the experience wonderful for us, even though you can tell they are under stress. Account fees are better than they used to be. They seem to have most banking products I need

+ NAB has a large range of products, it seems one for every requirement. They have a large branch network with a lot of atms. Excellent fraud prevention team within internet banking. Internet and phone banking very efficient

- Staff are very stressed and overworked. The bank does not seem to want to put enough staff on to cover holidays etc. There never seem to be any replacements when someone is sick.

• 24 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2009

Overall pretty happy this bank, the business centres are well located through-out Sydney and their staff are very helpful (sometimes). I think NAB is better for business users.

+ This bank has one of the best online internet banking set-ups that I have used so far. Very fast and secure. My card is linked to flybuys which is a pretty good reward scheme.

- Very limited atms around. The telephone banking always takes more than 5-10 minutes to get through to someone. High account keeping fees. I am paying $20 per month for my business account. Other banks have cheaper fees than this.

Melbourne

• 12 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 31 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2009

Probably no better/worse than the rest of the top 4, but far from brilliant. They 'do the minimum' and not much more.

+ Reasonable number of branches, pretty good internet site which is OK to use.

- Quite a lot - I only stay because it's too hard to change & I'm not convinced it would be much better elsewhere. Once they did away with the personal banker, service hit bottom.

1 of 2 pages