devonport

good wine or bad wine?

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2018

My first experience with naked wines was, its a scam. I felt like I was being pushed into a subscribed membership but a lot of the morbid information given to me from NW in regards to the reality market of wine making and selling made me want to forfeit buying from big companies like Dan Murph.
My first case was for a case of merlot, I cant recall why I bought merlot, probably because it was cheap. Wine tasted bad but so does all merlot. Being introduced into the angel list felt like I was being falsely rewarded.

I recall how kind and easy going NW staff were and was glad to cancel easily. Years later I tried a wine from my sister in law which tasted amazingly awesome.Low and behold she only buys form NW which made met think,maybe they are better than I originally thought.

I resigned up, I dont care for that 100 voucher, No doubt angels get it that cheap anyway so the voucher is probably for NW infidels anyway.I have rejoined the list and will wait patiently until I am allowed to buy.

Im tired of searching bottle shops for an expensive wine thats tastes mediocre.

Here is to better days.

Pretty good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2018

They support smaller winemakers and its a good way of avoiding the chains. The prices, and deals are very valuable.
I wish they had some natural and preservative free wines tho

Great wine great idea. Wats with all these whingers!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2018

Received a voucher after buying some work clothes, ended up with 6 bottles of quality wine which cost me $60 delivered.
We have had 3 of the 6 so far and they were delicious. We spend $40 to $60 a bottle normally and these were as good if not better.
Looking forward to my next delivery .

$100 voucher is a scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

Needing to purchase 12 bottles to make the voucher valid is a rort. My fault I didn't read the terms and conditions so I purchase 6 bottles, to the value of 115 had money debited (thought I was just paying the difference of $15) rang to cancel it, wine turned up, threw out voucher 6 bottles of wine being returned, got nothing ... what an annoying experience and a rort. To good to be true DONT BOTHER

• 14 comments
  • 1 answer

Poor Quality Wine and Dodgy Business Practice

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

The dozen bottles for $85 or so with the intro vouchers sounded like a pretty good deal. Even if they were so, so I couldn't go wrong I thought. Unfortunately only 1 of the 8 bottles I have opened are remotely drinkable. I poured two down the drain after half a glass. Seriously you can get a $4.99 Spanish red at Aldi which is far superior to any in this mixed dozen. One of the bottles was the third worst wine of my life, only thing worse I have tasted was a warm Retsina on Crete in 1983 and a Peruvian Champagne on New Years Peru in 1997.Having zero intention of buying more I forgot about it but kept getting emails saying I was on the waiting list for Angel membership (or whatever they call it). I worked out later this is just trying to make you think it's so exclusive that you have to wait for it. I then received an email saying I was now a member. Sure enough I had been charged another $40. I never saw an offer to join, I never requested to join nor saw any information when I redeemed my voucher saying that I would be automatically charged $40 per month. This is very dodgy business practice in my opinion. I will admit after I sent the email cancelling, I did receive the refund without question. I'm guessing lots of people get sucked in though. Bottom line is the wine is terrible. Far better off buying wine at Aldi or on Special at Coles Liquer if your after a cheap drop.

Adelaide

Typical hidden small print Automatic Subscription

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

Bought one case on a promo offer. I was very wary of joining a subscription service so looked everywhere before ordering to make sure this wasn’t a condition of purchase. There was no obvious catch. But alas, a month after ordering there was a $40 charge to my card. I was very annoyed as I triple checked that this was not the case prior to ordering. Had to phone to get them to cancel, still waiting on the refund. Any company that relies on sneaky sign up tactics will never get my repeat business. Subscriptions should always be an opt in not automatically applied.

Cancelling was Easy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

As Naked Wine had signed me up as an Angel and indeed had debited my account the $40.00 although I had had no communication with them after ordering my trial box of wines, (which were very good), I was alarmed when I read the reviews, suggesting this company was a scam and you are locked into $40.00 per month with dead end pathways to opt out. I immediately emailed them, on a Sunday, saying I wished to have the account they had created for me, cancelled and my $40.00 credited back to me. I received a reply that day saying they were on it. Monday another email saying they were sorry to lose me as an Angel but as per my request, they had closed my account and refunded my money, which has since appeared as such on my credit card statement. I could not have asked for more prompt attention to my request followed by an immediate and satisfactory resolution.

• 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Don't waste your time.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

Zero customer service. Nobody returns emails or phone calls.
Non-transparent terms and conditions, coupled with misleading information.
Subscription service that's impossible to unsubscribe from.
Don't bother.

Private message

Best wine club I’ve ever joined

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2018

Not sure what the negative reviewers are on about. If you read the T&C’s you’ll know that $40 is debited out of your account month which goes in a bank towards extra purchases. It’s not a scam and you don’t loose the money!! If you prefer the wines at Dan Murphy’s for cheaper then it’s good thing you’ve unsubscribed - making way for other people who enjoy supporting smaller players and trying other wines. I love the business model and can’t reccomend high enough :)

Private message

Difficult to unsubscribe and terrible, terrible wine

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

DO NOT RECOMMEND! Took a chance and ordered a case. Website said next day delivery but took almost a week. Wine was horrible, with some bottles undrinkable!! (which is a lot coming from me) I was aware that I would be subscribed to become an "angel" at $40 a month. Was hoping for an easy opt out but was not meant to be! I emailed a request to cancel my subscription, even got an email back saying it had happened. (too good to be true) a week later I had money debited. I called and was told the response to my email was sent by a trainee and had not been actioned. The money was refunded but was told it would take 5-7 business days. Honestly not worth the effort or money. There is a reason the wine is not sold in stores!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Northern Victoria

Private message

Opted out but request was ignored

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

Opted out prior to becoming "an angel", my cancellation was totally ignored as lo and behold a week later I was "an angel" and a $40 subscription fee I did not authorise, was taken from my account. Unprofessional company that will never get my business again nor would I recommend it to my friends, family or members of the public.

Australia

Auto-subscribed WITHOUT CONSENT this is a SCAM

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

I did NOT subscribe, I was subscribed WITHOUT my consent. This appears to just be a scam. I will be taking it to the Police.

Private message

Good for first couple of deliveries but then...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2018

I became an "angel " selection of wines were good but can get same quality for cheaper at Dan Murphys. A friend and I signed up at the same time. Anyway, first couple of orders were prefect, got what I ordered and was left, as promised, in a safe place if I was not home. However, this time... no order. I rang them to follow up "we will call you back". No call. 2 days later I got another "we will call you back". Still no order delivered. At the same time my friends order arrived and she was short 6 bottles! Today (2 weeks later) I receive an ugly email saying we delivered your wines and here's proof which matches Google maps - pictures are not even of my home! I requested a refund days ago...still waiting.

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Terrible wine and sneaky subscription scam, stay away!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

We also received a voucher which we spent on a case of awful, awful wine, only to discover that we had been subscribed without consent and debited $40 per month. Naked wines is not only a bad representation of Australian wine, but a total disappointment in an Australian business conducting this type of scam. We will be filing a complaint with the ombudsman and I suggest others who have been mislead to do so too.

Mandurah

Great Wine...however

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2018

I normally love my wine deliveries, and how I can custom choose my wine. However, this last delivery came with 3 bottles missing?

• 5 helpful votes

Non transparent ongoing commitment

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

The initial wine was great, however I have now noticed a $40 per month charge being deducted from my account. This is not something I would have consciously signed up for so I am assuming it’s an automatic opt in. I’m now unable to get through to customer service, and are having extreme difficulty locating the opt out option on the website. Thanks to a previous post on this chain I’m hoping to have better luck now.

I’m sure it’s all legal and I like the idea of supporting local growers, but I’ll be sticking to other providers for transparency in future.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

SCAM!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2018

The whole process makes you believe that you're on line awaiting further savings after your initial $100 order, then your CC is charged a month later and you never agreed to a membership.

This is an on-line retail bait and switch that should be reported to the authorities. To say this is an Aussie product that sold around the world representing our country is a national embarrassment. I hope they're brought to task in quick order.

Shame on you Naked Wines.

• 7 comments
  • 23 helpful votes

I love the Naked Wines concept so much

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

I fell in love with Naked Wines when I first saw how they marketed their business because I loved the tone of voice they used, the quirky but simple design, and of course the business model that helps the little guys take on the big corporations so we wine drinkers can enjoy more choice. I really am astonished at the wrath that some reviewers have for the subscription model - are people silly, or do they not bother reading anything before they signup to a service? Who knows? Just unsubscribe if you do not like it, do you really think you are getting $100 worth of wine for absolutely no exchange? It's a phone call - make it and grow up! I feel so sad that this excellent business would even get any bad reviews at all. $40 a month out of my bank account is nothing and as I buy a LOT of wine from different suppliers, this is one that always ends up being a pleasant surprise, because when I order, I have already paid a big chunk of change, so that is quite delightful. I have found some absolute ripper wines on their site - my only advice is when you do find one you absolutely cannot live without, buy a case immediately because they run out. Naked Wines should enter a business of the year competition, as I am sure they would win.

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

This is how you unsubscribe to the angel crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

So like everyone else I received the $100 gift voucher with a completely unrelated purchase.
I dont even drink wine but I am a massive impulse shopper, hence I took up the offer. I was forced to purchase a 12 pack which obviously adds up to more than the $100 voucher. I paid an extra $89 with delivery fee. Honestly wasn’t to bothered about that. Now here’s where they get you. Like other people I did not see anywhere to opt out of the dreaded “angel” scam. I also was under the impression that this was optional, which it is BUT!
The way to opt out is very well hidden in plain sight and only after you have made your purchase and start receiving the surprising emails about how your now on the waiting list to become an angel. Now it does make mention of how to opt out in the email but it is a very poor and misleading description. It says just do it in your account section or email or ring. Firstly nobody answers the phone and nobody replies to emails. So your left with the account section. Now like many other people I progressed to the account section. Scroll up and down that screen all day. You’ll never see the opt out button. Here’s what you do. Log into your account on their website. Now at the top right you will see 3 buttons. Search, a circle with a leaf in it and the green shopping cart button. Click the circle with a leaf then hit MY ACCOUNT. Now on the next screen you will see a drop down box with “My Profile” in it. Hit this the scroll down to “Angels”. Now you can opt out after you read the whinging questions on why your not going to be scammed. You should then receive an email confirming you’ve opted out along with some more whining. I would save this email just in case they steal your cash anyway. Ok so I did receive the delivery in 3 days. I have not tried any of the wine as of yet. I have read that they are re labelled cleanskins. To be honest I’m not a wine drinker so I probably wouldn’t know the difference.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Couldn't even try them with a voucher.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

So I buy computer parts (strange association) and I get sent two vouchers of $100 Naked wine whatever. I then try to enter both and lo and behold I get two vouchers with the exact same code. No big loss as the company only accepts one voucher per account. Fine, That's common.
What isn't common is that when I go to use the voucher (after reading the terms and condition to see what I had to do, and finding NO spend limit on the card BUT i have to BUY A TWELVE PACK OF THEM). It then says "Yay you got $100, have some example packages". Even then I had to spend another 128 dollars on top of that just to buy the wine I didn't want. I just wanted 6 bottles with the damned voucher and I couldn't even do that because I had to buy 12. I barely drink wine as it is and I thought this would be an interesting thing to do seeing as it wouldn't cost me much and maybe I could grow to enjoy it.

Well that's not the case. I can't use my voucher (with no written spend limit but having to buy 12 bloody bottles) and the whole thing is a very hostile misleading practice. You get a "$100 voucher" but really its a discount coupon for $100 off.

1 of 102 pages

Can you please tell me how I get into my account? Thank you. Denise Davis [address removed]

Denise asked on Jan 04, 2018

Answer this

Hi Denise - you can manage your account online by going to www.nakedwines.com.au/myaccount where you can update your details, track your orders or cancel your Angel membership with us. Alternatively our Customer Happiness Team are available on email or 1300 898 677. Best, Greg Banbury (MD)

I got a $100 voucher to use but it wants me to add credit card to proceed..I thought I was using my voucher to buy it..what do I do?

Justo13 asked on Dec 20, 2017

Answer this

To get the $100 of 'free' wine, you have to subscribe to an on-going wine 'plan' first, and that is what will be charged to your credit card every month.

Do not deal with this company, throw the voucher away.
In the wine case supplied, the most expensive bottle had been replaced with one worth half the price.
I have asked for an exchange and here is Naked Wines' customer service focussed response (sarcasm):

From: Naked Wines Australia [mailto:chat@nakedwines.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 January 2018 5:19 PM
To: (name withheld)
Subject: [NWid:1753623:]:RE: RE: RE: Order Error on #6625093

Hi Beast (name changed)

Thank you once again for your email.

From your last response, it’s plainly clear that you are not willing to compromise as all.

I too am familiar with the Australian Consumer Law and you must agree that this would be laughed at in any tribunal considering the amount of the claim.

Its not within our policy to replace a singular bottle of wine. For one, due to the fact that they are fragile and it’s unlikely that it would reach you safely in one piece.

I have explained our stance on the matter as we have to follow our policies and I hope we can come to an agreeable settlement.

Kindest,
Jess
1300 898 677

Give these frauds a wide berth, got to Dan Murphy. That's what I'm doing.

Hi Justo13 - your $100 voucher is valid for your first order of 12 wines or more (stated on the voucher). This means there will be a difference to pay and you will need to enter your credit card details. You should be able to get 12 wines for around $79 with your voucher (under $7 a bottle) which is outstanding value considering all these wines are hand-made by talented independent winemakers.

Sunny - That is not quite right. You can use the voucher to buy any number of wines on our site, but the offer on our homepage will also add your name to the waiting list to join our 80,000 Angels. It is not a wine-plan like other retailers operate where you get shipped regular wine boxes. Angels put $40 a month onto their wine account with us and spend it on wine when they wish. This gives us the confidence to fund our winemakers upfront, which results in a better tasting wine at a lower price (but just for Angels).

Beast - Again, I'm sorry being an Angel wasn't for you. I hope you enjoy the supermarket made wines you are buying from Dan Murphy.

Do your wines contain 220 preservatives or sulfates?

Lynne asked on Dec 11, 2017

Answer this

You find most wine do but Browns Brothers don't have 220 because I am allergic to this preservative ...

Hi Lynne, unfortunately we don't have any preservative free wines and all our wines contain sulfites. Wines like this are hard to find in the market, because they are prone to spoilage. We are in talks with our winemakers to see if we can produce a Natural wine which would be preservative free, so keep your eyes peeled! Best, Greg Banbury (MD)