Pretty good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2018

I was surprised when shopping for a dash cam that there really wasn't much variety in what was available, and there were no products from the "top-tier" companies I would have expected e.g. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, GoPro etc. This Navman unit was one of the few products I found that had an actual brand, with no Engrish on the box, and didn't look like it cost 50c to manufacture. Overall I'm happy I bought it rather than one of those Supercheap Auto-branded junkers.

Good things:
- Turns on and starts recording whenever the car is running; zero interaction required.
- Resolution is generally good enough to make out number plates. Generally.
- You can turn off all the annoying beeps and alerts.
- I like how it stamps the video with time, speed and location.
- Overall everything just works well (except the features noted below).

Bad things:
- "Parking mode" is completely useless because the battery lasts about a minute after turning the car off. It should be disabled by default and the box should clearly describe that the device only supports that feature if it has constant power from the car's battery.
- Event recording is completely useless because it only records 10 seconds before and after pressing the button. Is the user expected to press the button *during* a car crash? It needs to be at least one minute before. Or, what I initially thought the button did, which is just put the current 5-minute file and the next/previous one (whichever is closer) aside so they'll never be deleted (without duplicating any footage).

Potentially bad things:
- I just pulled the SD card from the camera after witnessing a crash, and most of the video files (including the important one) are corrupt and unreadable. Not sure what's to blame.

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Comments
Navman Official

Hi Karl Thanks for your knowledgeable review. This has been forwarded to our engineering team as a feedback. About the SD card, please make sure to use a compatible memory card as Navman cann... read more »

Brisbane

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Don't waste your money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2017

Battery in mine died and it started to act strangely. Would not turn on sometimes and had stopped recording over the old footage and just came up with SD card full. I suspect these had to do with the battery being dead. Returned it under warranty only to have it returned to me still faulty and them saying the battery is only meant to last 10 seconds yet I have read there own reps say the battery is expected to last 30 minutes when replying to other peoples review.

Purchased at: JB Hifi Home

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Navman Official

Hi Robert, Im sorry to hear about your experience with the MiVUE660. Regarding the battery life, your RMA paperwork should say 10mins, not 10 seconds, and this is the same thing we have said on o... read more »

I don't have the RMA number. JB Hifi was also confused as to why it was returned faulty and the store manager was kind enough to replace it with a Mivue 780 and guess what? It doesn't hold charge e... read more »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that. Am i able to private message you to get some private details so that i can investigate this a bit more?

Incident recording

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Iv finally gotten time to put the sd card into my laptop to download all the morons.
And noticed all the times when Iv pressed the blue button to (what I thought) save the 3 min clip, only to find it's only saved 20secs from the time I pressed the button, so it missed recording all incidents.
I thought (with my last dash cam) if I press the button, the 3 min clip it was currently recording gets saved, and not auto deleted.
Am I missing something?

Purchased at: JB Hifi Home

Comments
Navman Official

Hi Metro, The Blue button is designed for emergency recording. what this means is, it will record 10 seconds prior to the button being pushed, and 10 seconds after, and then will save that as an e... read more »

How do I lock the 3 min clip that's recording?

Hi Metro,

The MiVUE 660 does not have this feature, however it is a feature avaliable on our new 700 and 730 series.

• 4 comments
  • 1 question
  • 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Screen freeze

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

I purchased a mivue 660 dash cam as a gift for my daughter only 3 months ago from JB Hifi, and already for no apparent reason it has stopped working. The screen has frozen, there are no warning messages and there is no sound, it does not function at all. This is not what anyone should expect to happen after such a short period of time, and especially when it was needed the most....During an accident.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Navman Official

Hi Noella,

Im sorry to hear about the problems you have had with the MiVUE 660. Could you please advise what MicroSD card you have plugged in to the device?

Senior Navman Support

SanDisk 32 GB. This is the brand and size that I was advised to purchase at the time I purchased the mivue 660 dash cam.

Navman Official

Hi Noella, Please be advised, SanDisk do no warrant their MicroSD Cards in continuous recording devices (such as Dash Cams) as it can cause issues. I would recommend trying a Toshiba class 10 Micr... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

It's a jokie ...don't buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2017

Don't waste your money it's too hard to setup, there's no sound cuts out every 2 mintues.. its junk shop quality. Save your money, i payed $163 dollars jb hifi ..i reckon it's worth $29 dollars. It's not any good if you miss the crash. I'm a loser thanks navmav.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Bonogin Queensland

• 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

An Outstanding Dash Cam

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2017

This camera fits nicely next to my rear vision mirror (the area is swept by the wipers so rain and dirt are not a problem), and it turns on / off with the car's ignition. The power lead goes under the dash mat to the left side of the windscreen, up to the top (using the small adhesive clips provided), and I slipped it between the headlining and the screen, wrapped it once around the rear vision mirror post and into the camera.
It records three minute clips, store them in the 32 Gb micro card (purchased separately), then commences recording again without a break and I can record a three hour car trip without a problem so 32 Gb has plenty of space. The clips are date/time stamped so locating the correct one is simple and they can be easily saved to a computer's Hard Drive.
When the micro card is inserted into the larger card adapter and placed in a computer's card reader, the vision and audio are both excellent. In the lower right corner of the computer screen is the date, time, location (in latitude and longitude which is easy to confirm on Google Earth), and best of all, the vehicle's speed. These cannot be seen on the small camera screen but are clear as a bell on the computer's one; however, these details would be great when defending a speeding charge as they are automatic inclusions and cannot (to my knowledge), be manipulated by the owner. When my speed is on 1000 kmh, my camera shows 96 kmh so I am happy with that.
The screen on the camera only operates for 60 seconds before turning black so it is not a distraction while driving and the range of warnings can be switched on or off depending on the owner's preferences.
The mode where the camera records a bump while the car is parked required hardwiring because the battery won't last long.
The camera has to be removed if you are going to fit a sun screen because the combined direct sunlight and that reflected by the sun screen will damage the unit. It is simple to remove and I use a small $5 camera case to store it when I park in the sun.
This piece of kit is outstanding and my only criticism is that it cannot read some car registration plates while moving - perhaps a later model will have that capability.
This is truly a great Christmas present and an outstanding dash cam . . .

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Navman Official

Hi Doug, Thanks for the stellar review. very comprehensive! glad to see the MiVUE 660 is living up to all your expectations and more! Navman now supports native hard wiring, you can see the MiVUE... read more »

Hi I have a MiVue660 Dash cam for my font car window and want to add a A20 for the rear. Are they compatible? Regards Bruce.

B.W asked on Jun 23, 2018

Hi Bruce,

Unfortunately the A20 is not compatible with the MiVUE 660. however i am pleased to tell you that JB HiFi has the MiVUE800 on sale for $249, which comes with the A20 out of the box, so you don't need to buy it separately! this also works out cheaper than buying a compatible device (like the MiVUE 780) and the A20 rear camera separately.

I hope this helps.

Senior Navman Support

Many thanks for your quick response to my question on the compatibles re A20 rear camera to my existing MiVue660 Thanks for the advice re MiVue 800, I will be looking into this with JBHifi 249.00 sounds good to me and I get the A20 rear camera. That leaves me with my MiVue 660 which I will sell which works well an in good condition maybe 100.00 on ebay. Once again your made my day Navman Support team,Regards Bruce.

All video recorded can be seen on the unit, but not all of the video (only some of them) can be displayed (or playable) on the computer, please advise. Saigon4 in Melbourne.

saigon4 asked on Feb 20, 2018

Hello Saigon4,

Thanks for your query and sorry for the delays.

Please make sure to use the MiVUE Manager software to play the videos on the computer because some of the recordings have data with them that will only work with our player. Please refer to the link below where you can download the MiVUE Manager software:

For more info about our products, please visit service.navman.com or navman.com.au/navman.co.nz

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Navman Support Team

I put a bigger micro sd card into my 660. Now it wont record until the card is formatted every time the unit turns on. Advice??

Antony J asked on Feb 09, 2018

Hi Antony,

Thanks for the question. the card should work fine. however some brands may not be compatible with CDR (continuous digital recorders) which include dash cams.

For more information on compatible brands, please check out this link. (You may need to select Australia, and then try again)

Please note: SanDisk Ultra and Samsung MicroSD cards are not compatible for use in Continuous Digital Recorders. (Please refer to the respective manufacturers for more information)

Thanks!

See all 24 questions about Navman MiVue660

Product Details

Price (RRP) $199
Height 86mm
Resolution 1080p (Full HD)
Width 46mm