Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Not working, my dog got lyme disease

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2018

Hi!

My dog (a husky)was using nextgard she got bitten by a tick and got lyme disease. I spent $1000 dollars in blood works antibiotic and she may have to deal with the lyme for the rest of her life. She is just 6 and she was limping because of lyme.
When I call them to ask for the guarantee they offer me to replace the 6 pills or give me the money I spent for the pills. They know this product doesn't work, they said over the phone that a dog can get infections from the ticks in the 48 hours that it takes for the quimic product to kill the tick.
Do not waste your money, buy any other product.

Not effective against ticks

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

I gave my 18 month old fox terrier a chewable 3 days before going bush. She came back covered in ticks

Verified Purchase Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

NexGard Killed my Pet

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

Well, I lost my "Little Man Gizz" at 0400 this morning. He was 18 years old n Sept; We shared the same birthday and I'd had him since he was 3 months old.

3 weeks ago, I gave him NexStar Flea med and it put him into heart failure within 2 hours; breathing problems; lathergic; and his bowels stopped working. Finally on Friday, he ate his last meal then on Sat he stopped drinking. Pease don't give ur pets NexStar Flea Med! My other little dog started having seizures after he got his flea med.

Line: Orange (For Dogs 2 - 4kg)

Dont give your dog!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

I gave my new border collie pup this product and 24 hours later he is violently vomiting and barely drinking. He wont get up and is very very sick! I was given this product by a vet. I should have done some research first. Dont use this!!!!

This product is terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

I only treat my 17 month old Border Collie with a NexGard chewable during the tick & flea season. When I give him this product he has diarrhea for about 2 weeks before it clears up - 2 weeks before he is due for another tablet & another cycle of diarrhea. I know this problem is related to the drug as it does not occur during winter when he is not being treated.

Having read a lot of the reviews it appears there is overwhelming evidence that this product has not been through enough stringent testing.

Excessive packaging

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

What’s with the over the top packaging for one puppy tablet
Come on you guys get your act together a box big enough for 20 tablets

Oral Pesticides are Poison

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

Our beautiful 7 1/2 year old boxer, Sophie, had to be euthanized yesterday after suffering from a series of grand mal seizures as a direct result of Nexgard. It was a prolonged, catastrophic neurological event that went on throughout the day and night (even with a continuous IV of anti-seizure medicines). She was blind, lame and barely responsive at the end (20 hours later). She weighed 60 pounds and took the NexGard dose for dogs 60 - 125 pounds approximately 45 minutes before the seizures began. I will never forgive myself for giving her a toxic oral pesticide and not doing my due diligence.

Freaking out

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

My cocker spaniel is now having seizures, tremors and some vomiting. Is this a death sentence or have any dogs recovered after discontinuing the Nexgard? I am totally freaking out.

Do not give your dog !!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

Gave our 2 pugs Nexgaurd in the afternoon, by 9 our dogs had Diarreha and vomiting. Today one of Pugs is barely waking and very shakey. Not worth it. Absolutely disgusted my local Pet Market has recommended this.

melbourne

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Go to flea and tick treatment

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2018

We moved to Nexgard after having issues with another brand. I had read reviews and was hesitant to try it on our Greyhound and our Lab/retriever but as we needed a tick treatment as well as a flea treatment I decided to try the monthly chews. We have been very happy with this product and they dogs have not suffered any bad reactions.

Don't chance it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2018

I've gotten the chewable for my pug (15lb) and he had never had any problems before I had given him this product. He doesn't have any fleas yet he scratches himself to death! He has scabs all over and missing fur from constantly chewing and scratching himself. We even took him to the vet, the vet said he just had a flea allergy. She prescribed him an allergy pill and it didn't work AT ALL. Not too long ago we brought in another dog. He's a beagle mix (36lb) he had some fleas on him but never really scratched that often so I gave him one for his size and now he is also scratching and chewing himself to death. They can barely sit still. Although they haven't lost their appetite its worse than just leaving them with fleas. My pug also gets diarrhea from time to time and that has never happened before. Just give your pet a flea and tick treatment bath instead of this.

Line: Orange (For Dogs 2 - 4kg)

Awful hurt my dog

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2018

Gave nextguard to my 10 year old Bichon after the vet said it was in his best interest. Not only did he become depressed but he stared breaking out in awful scabs all over his body. He developed a paw licking problem and there was blood everywhere. It was a nightmare. At first we contributed this to his older age. We took him to the vet and they then again subscribed him ANOTHER pill to deal with these symptoms from his last pill although we still didn’t know nextguard was the issue. This pill made him loose any bit of personality he had left. He hardly moved. Hardly ate. We looked into his new medications and found similar reviews about nextguard so we immediately stoped all flee and tick medicine. After a few weeks he stopped licking his paws and we were able to take him off the other medication. After that we got our dog back! He is as playful as he was as a puppy! He still has scabs all over his body but they are very slowly going away. Very slowly. Recently felt comfortable putting him back on his regular flee and tick medicine (frontline). We have our dog back. I am so happy we discovered why he changed and we didn’t completely write it off as his old age because it wasn’t. Our vet completely let us down. Please never give this to your pet!

6 dogs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

We have 6 dogs they are 2 labs a Golden R and Husky sheppard mix and 2 smaller italian greyhound mixed breeds and I've used nexgurd before wasn't thrilled with it, but all it did was seem to tire my 3 big dogs out for 24 hrs and I mentioned it too our Vet and he reassured me that it wasn't as bad as ppl thought, so against my better judgement. I gave this poison another chance. I gave them all the nexgurd on sat oct 13 and come Sunday morning the IG couldn't walk, lift his head or even eat without our help and I thought he was going to die. We made him eat homemade broth and made him drink lots of water.
2 days went by before he could walk on his own again it's now been 5 days and he still is a little weak but getting better but he's still not out of the woods yet. That we 1 dog out of 6 with a bad reacti9n to this crap for me that's 1 dog to many. Never again

Horrible!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2018

Gave my dog this medicine after my vet no longer sold his normal flea pill which was comfortis and shortly after he had 5 seizures. Horrible! Will never give again.

Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

The Worst! My dogs are both sick from this!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

The day I gave my two dogs a pill for their size, they have not stopped having diarrhea and vomiting. It’s been two and a half weeks, and nothing has changed. My dogs don’t even have fleas! The vet insisted I get this pill. They are losing weight and they aren’t as active anymore. I don’t know what to do at this point.

Verified Purchase Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Don't chance it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

Our dog went from healthy, active and happy, to dead this summer. The start of symptoms corresponded with giving the NexGard this spring. There's no way to know for sure but if I could turn back time, especially after reading the review on this site, I would never have given this medication. Our wonderful family member's death may have been prevented if I had not given this medicine. I will never chance it again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Purchase Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Don't do it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2018

My year old pit broke out in sores everywhere. I'm talking from her jaw to her tail. Back, legs chest face everywhere. And guess what still has fleas. It's been a little over a month. My Maltese had no reaction to the med thankfully but now I have vet bills out the $$$. To try and get my pit healthy again and we are still dealing with the sores... she cant stop scratching them, they bleed, puss etc. Terrible I will go back to frontline. It costs bit actually works and isn't slowly killing our animals from the inside out.

• 1 question
  • 3 answers

Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Nexgard should be taken off the market

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

After using this product off and on for a year My dog developed seizures. My dog had never been sick a day in his life. He had no preexisting medical problems. These meds build up in your dog's system and have horrible side effects. It could take one dose or multiple doses. Your dog is too precious to take a chance with this med.

Russiaville

Horrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I gave nexgaurd to my mini Assie shepherd 10/6/18 at 11:00am at 12:42pm I was getting a phone call at the salon to come home something was wrong. He was fine at 10am running around giving love playing gave this medicine to him and boom he’s in icu at the vet hospital. He couldn’t walk he was having seizures eyes rolling back in his head this medicine is poison. We need it off the market. It’s about the company making money and harming our pets well we wouldn’t give our kids certain meds so we shouldn’t give them to our animals. I’m contacting the company the fda and I’m not stopping till something is done. I have 2 teenage boys and 3 dogs that are my my babies and this medicine will never be used again one them. The dog that it was used on is 1 yr and 4 months. Time for us to protect our fur babies.

Byron Bay, NSW

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer

No problems so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

I decided to write a review after reading so many negative ones, guessing that the people who tend to write reviews in this case have had bad experiences.

We've just moved to the Northern Rivers area on the east coast of Australia, an area very prone to tick infestation. Previously from Sydney, I've only ever had to give my miniature 10 year old poodle an occasional flea treatment (Comfortis). My wake up call was coming up here for a visit three months ago and finding my friends' household in an uproar - they'd been looking after their neighbour's dog which had been bitten by a tick and had developed paralysis overnight. They were very lucky they caught it in time (the dog dragged itself up the stairs to their bedroom) and the treatment was costly at $1400 - not that anyone cared about the vet bill, the main thing was that the dog was saved. My friends blamed themselves for taking her to the beach, the owners blamed themselves for not dosing her that month (it was off season for ticks and they wanted to give her a break from the medication).

I took the lesson to heart, went straight to the vet and dosed my dog. No adverse effects noticed at all. Three months later and we've now been living up here ourselves for a month. Yesterday I myself was bitten by a tick and had to go to the hospital to have it removed, and I'm hoping that is going to be the end of it (ie no long term allergies). My dog is fine. If he's been bitten by a tick during our time here, he is not showing any effects from it.

My point is, in a high risk tick area, it is NOT worth gambling with the health of your fur baby. He's been on the Nexgard for three months now (I only give it to him with food to mitigate any potential stomach upsets) and he's shown no adverse effects at all. I'll continue to monitor him and update this review at a later date. There is a risk involved with giving your dog any sort of medication, and it's something I've largely managed to avoid for ten whole years, but for me now, the risk is very much worth it.

1 of 28 pages

Is everyone posting on here about side effects lodging a complaint with the APVMA - Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority? It's really important to notify them. I don't know how many complaints are needed for them to do anything but it's guaranteed they will do nothing if they don't know there is a problem.

Devil asked on Dec 16, 2018

Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

Tonight i gave my 10 lb min pin his dose and then my 50 lb boxer his dose and my min pin snatched up my boxers also. So he had 2 doses. Should I be worried?

Nicole asked on Nov 06, 2018

Answer this

No it will be, ok,my pit gets little. Sores on between toes, let me no if u need advice, but I brake them into too half's sir ho it works for a month. Very exspencive$for 3 save till summer, but it did grate flee treat house to or it comes back egg's. They were everywhere, in a week u treat home ,raid I spent alot, bombs too,105 lab pit bull its TV he weather. To warm

Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Have given new guard a week early by mistake will this harm her?

Donna asked on Oct 21, 2018

Answer this

It might cause a buildup of medicine in your dog's system. Nexgard stays in the system for 30 to 45 days. I would keep a close eye on your dog. I would also call the vet and ask about using milk thistle to detox your dog. Most vets also carry Denamarin.I would recommend only giving the nexgard when your dog has fleas and not on a regular basis
The problem with this medicine you never know when or if your dog will have a reaction. I used it off and on for a year with my dog before he had his first seizure. I hope your dog is okay but definitely call your vet. Definitely detox your dog with milk thistle or denamarin to be on the safe side. If your vet doesn't know the correct dosage for milk thistle there is a site on facebook. Does bravecto kill dogs that has links to detox your dog.. good luck

I agree with Jessica. Call vet ASAP better safe than sorry. Both my dogs had a bad reaction to Nexgaurd with one dose.

See all 149 questions about NexGard Chewables

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.