Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Nexgard should be taken off the market

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

After using this product off and on for a year My dog developed seizures. My dog had never been sick a day in his life. He had no preexisting medical problems. These meds build up in your dog's system and have horrible side effects. It could take one dose or multiple doses. Your dog is too precious to take a chance with this med.

Horrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I gave nexgaurd to my mini Assie shepherd 10/6/18 at 11:00am at 12:42pm I was getting a phone call at the salon to come home something was wrong. He was fine at 10am running around giving love playing gave this medicine to him and boom he’s in icu at the vet hospital. He couldn’t walk he was having seizures eyes rolling back in his head this medicine is poison. We need it off the market. It’s about the company making money and harming our pets well we wouldn’t give our kids certain meds so we shouldn’t give them to our animals. I’m contacting the company the fda and I’m not stopping till something is done. I have 2 teenage boys and 3 dogs that are my my babies and this medicine will never be used again one them. The dog that it was used on is 1 yr and 4 months. Time for us to protect our fur babies.

Byron Bay, NSW

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer

No problems so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

I decided to write a review after reading so many negative ones, guessing that the people who tend to write reviews in this case have had bad experiences.

We've just moved to the Northern Rivers area on the east coast of Australia, an area very prone to tick infestation. Previously from Sydney, I've only ever had to give my miniature 10 year old poodle an occasional flea treatment (Comfortis). My wake up call was coming up here for a visit three months ago and finding my friends' household in an uproar - they'd been looking after their neighbour's dog which had been bitten by a tick and had developed paralysis overnight. They were very lucky they caught it in time (the dog dragged itself up the stairs to their bedroom) and the treatment was costly at $1400 - not that anyone cared about the vet bill, the main thing was that the dog was saved. My friends blamed themselves for taking her to the beach, the owners blamed themselves for not dosing her that month (it was off season for ticks and they wanted to give her a break from the medication).

I took the lesson to heart, went straight to the vet and dosed my dog. No adverse effects noticed at all. Three months later and we've now been living up here ourselves for a month. Yesterday I myself was bitten by a tick and had to go to the hospital to have it removed, and I'm hoping that is going to be the end of it (ie no long term allergies). My dog is fine. If he's been bitten by a tick during our time here, he is not showing any effects from it.

My point is, in a high risk tick area, it is NOT worth gambling with the health of your fur baby. He's been on the Nexgard for three months now (I only give it to him with food to mitigate any potential stomach upsets) and he's shown no adverse effects at all. I'll continue to monitor him and update this review at a later date. There is a risk involved with giving your dog any sort of medication, and it's something I've largely managed to avoid for ten whole years, but for me now, the risk is very much worth it.

Bad for my dog

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

The pill had him vomiting all the time as soon as he took it, I thought the vomiting would go away but it stayed the same he laid around and didn’t play.the vet charged me 123 dollars to make my baby sick I called them and told them what was going on I wanted a refund, I was told to bring in thepills I had left but no refund..I am afraid they would give it to another unsuspecting owner so I won’t.

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

If this neurotoxin doesn't kill your dog it's doomed to vet visits to treat the damage for the remai

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2018

3 of our puppies have died as a direct result of Nexgard. Lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting and Diarreha. Terrible what the manufacturer will do to make money. Horrible nightmare when vets charge a small fortune to treat the damage these neurotoxins do.

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

This product killed my dog!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2018

This product killed my dog! After taking it just once, she lost so much weight, lost so much hair, she would vomit every now and then, and her eyes would frequently blink. We’ve done several blood tests and everything was good. And after 3 months of losing her, i figured out that this product killed my beautiful dog. THIS PRODUCT KILLED MY DOG!!

Harmful!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2018

Gave my dog Nexgard and he started throwing up multiple times a day, lethargic, and not eating. Here it is 6 weeks later and same issues, he has lost so much weight and won’t play. I can barely get him to eat anything!!! Do not give this to your dogs!! It should be taken off the market!

Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Wish I had known this before

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2018

We have had our dog on nexgard for as long as we could start using it on the weekend our beautiful little boy got a tick we done everything we could to save him but sadly he passed away so what nexgard don't tell you is that towards the end of the month it decreases dramatically and your pet is in danger so now we have a large vet bill and no Douglas (thats was our dogs dog's name)wouldn't recommended it to anyone

• 4 answers

Please find alternatives.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

When Nexgard first came out I knew it would only be a matter of time before these reviews would pop up all over the internet. It's all poison. I'd rather my dogs have fleas than feed them poison. We manage other ways. They get fleas but we bathe regularly and wash bedding weekly. We use alternative ways to control fleas. We treat our yard with diatomaceous earth. For the love of your pet find alternatives!

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

This product is dangerous !!.and it doesn't work

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2018

It made my older lab very sick!..To the point I took him to the emergency vet ..fleas are bad this year in the mid Atlantic states..We tried something different ..We will never buy any oral flea killer..or anything from merial inc ever..Yes I will look for your name..on everything and warn others..You all should have never let this product out..I do feel bad for the animals you tested it on..You are sorry people hope you can sleep at nite...no not really

October 6th 2018 Update: This product does not work

It did make my dog sick....Its expensive of which I wouldn't have minded... provided it worked..It doesn't..!!....I will give a shout out to my vet who won't sell it..Said it made alot of dogs sick ..Should have called them first .also to 1800 pet meds ..They gave us our money back promptly with no hoops to jump through ..Still a little mad that this stuff is still on the market ...with all the complaints about it

Eye ulcers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

He has almost lost his eyesight due to ulcers. He had to have extremely expensive eye surgery and lost part of his sight and has the beginnings of one in his other eye. The vet said she sees more and more of this because of this evil medicine. He has suffered so much

Private message

Verified Purchase Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

My dog is lethargic after NexGuard from vet!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

My dog is sick to the point he can't turn his head quickly, he looks really dizzy and confused! I have to now carry him a lot and he loved being outside and now he can't handle eating and is barely drinking! I don't recommend any toxic flea treatments with these crazy chemicals in it and pesticides! Unless if your willing to take the chance with your animal!? Just go naturally as possible and save your pet!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Purchase Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Made dog very sick.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

Vet convinced use to give our dog Nexgard instead of a topical treatment like we wanted. He has ITP, an autoimmune disorder where his Immune System attacks his own platlets and can be life threatening.

He was stable on his current medication for over a month with platlets at about 400,000. Literally five days after taking Nexgard (which was supposedly safe according to the vet) his platlets dropped all the way down to 12,000 then 10,000 the preceding days.

This not only was at a point that was life threatening because of severe bleeding risk with any injury. His platlets were so low he started bleeding internally spontaneously making him lose a significant amount of blood.

Luckily he's now stable because of an insane increase to his steroids that we've literally spent months and hundreds in Vet vists to get him weened down.

Stuck now with hundreds in emergency care and much more to come that now we have to start all over again with his treatment. Horrible product.

• 2 helpful votes

Terrible product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

I gave my three dogs their past weekend the 8th of September within four hours of giving them the chewable they all began with projectile stools that were black vomiting blood frothing from the mouth a trip to the emergency clinic it was . Till today sept 13 they are still with watery stools with blood in it no further vomiting worst product my dogs almost died

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Cardinal

• 5 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

What's the point? Doesn't kill ticks in time!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

I'm glad I do my research. I asked my veterinarian to contact the company itself since I had about four different answers when asked about how long it took for NexGard to kill black legged ticks (all "guesses" were under 18 hours). It wasn't in their product info (tho lots about fleas). They informed me that the company said that NexGard kills the black legged tick in about 48 hours and the Lonestar tick after about 72 hours. Definitely makes you question why you even use this product when Lyme disease is transmitted within 24 hours, mountain fever between 2 and 90 hours and for anaplasmosis and ehrlichiosis, a tick needs to be attached for 24 to 50 hours. Waste of money, completely, if you're looking for tick transmitted diseases prevention!!! I don't use Bravecto because both my dogs had extremely severe reactions requiring vet care and medication and I cannot use Advantix because I have a cat. What options left??? None! Vets definitely need to be better informed on the products they sell. I feel like these companies are just trying to scam us. Sad! I guess I'll just keep them on Revolution for their heartworm preventative, seems to cause a lot less (visible) side effects than anything else I've tried. Both dogs had bowel issues for a couple days after the three times I have given them this product.

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

Terrible....Fleas, fleas and more fleas

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

My poor Shih-poo has more fleas on her than ever. Thought this stuff was supposed to kill them. Fleas freak me out. My vet will be getting contacted about this terrible product. Here I thought she had allergies and figured out tonight it is fleas...grrr

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

Did not get rid of fleas.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2018

We tried NexGard chewables because my scottish terrior had a bad reaction to the Seresto collar. He took it two weeks ago. He has more fleas now than ever before. I won't use it again. I might try the topical treatment next. Wish it had worked.

• 1 question

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

This was horrible this cause my dog to nearly died he has withdrawn has personality differences havi

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

this is a very bad product especially for Chihuahuas this has caused my dog many problems many issues he got the next guard on August 10th today is September 1st 2018 my dog has had near death experience low blood pressure low temperature won't eat won't drink won't turn his head and this has been a continuous process he has had personality difference and changes he's no longer playful Jolly Chihuahua he's barely eating he has extreme thirst all the time so daily I'm trying to help my dog get better but I think it's evident that he's dying and I have no one to help me pay any Bill to take care of him NexGard is responsible for my dog's decline in health if anyone know anything about this I need help

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

My 13 year old dog had cluster seizures 7 hours after giving her this medication

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

Pixie is a maltese cross terrier and has been in good health until this incident, I could not put it down to any other cause, she has been taking this medication for a couple of years and is the first time of any bad effects.Perhaps it builds up in her system, I was devastated and nearly lost her, she spent a night in ICU and a day at my vets.

Bristol

• 1 answer

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

My dogs suffered hearing loss same week given nexgard

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

During the week my dog given 1st ever nexgard tablet my dog goes into a deep sleep and cant hear you calling him loudly even when sat next to his bed. This has never happened before nexgard. He is permanently like this since, thats over six months. I then found 500 bad reviews online under nexgard reviews including death. My vet still prescribes nexgard which is worrying.

1 of 27 pages

I gave my cockapoo nextgaurd two dsys ago he has not taken it in a year and now is having an allegic reaction to it how long does the allegic reaction last and does it get worse?

Bolt asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Nexgard stays in the system for longer than 30 days. I probably recommend taking your dog to the vet. I would also recommend detoxing your dog with milk thistle as soon as possible. This will help get the drug out of his system. Some vets are giving cholesteramine to bind the drug. There is a site does nexgard kill dog's on facebook with info with links on detoxing your dog and treatment of adverse effects. Whatever you do don't give your dog nexgard ever again. Your dog will be sensitive to all oral flea and topical flea medicines from this time on. Do your research about natural flea treatments for the future. Don't let your vet tell you that detox is not necessary because it is. I wish you luck.

Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

I have been giving my 1 year old dog Nexgard every month. He's never had fleas/ticks, nor has he ever had any side effects. My concern is about the long-term. Are there any studies on whether Nexgard can cause any kind of damage if after (say...) several years of regular use? I'm very happy with the product, but I also don't like the idea of injecting a toxin into my dog's system every month unless it's proven to have no long-term effects! Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Jay asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

These meds can be cumulative. Like I said in my story my dog took it off and for a year before he had his first seizure. No there are no studies about the long-term effects with these meds. They stay in the system for more then 30 days.They are using are our dog's as guinea pigs to track the long-term effects. My advice to you would be to stop using nexgard before your dog has a reaction. I know your vet says it safe but when it is you dog that is having the reaction it is unbearable. I wish I had never given this to my dog.. My vet wont even admit it was the nexgard . My dog had no underlying medical conditions and is only 7 years old.. If you feel you must use it use it only when you have fleas and not monthly This might prevent the build up of the medicine in his system. The best way to treat fleas and ticks is the natural way. I learned this the hard way.

I have my dog the wrong nexguard pill she is 10 lbs. and gave her one for up to 24 lbs. will she be okay?

Merri asked on Oct 12, 2018

Answer this

Only a vet can answer this question. In the meantime, monitor your pup closely for signs of distress/vomiting/rapid breathing

See all 147 questions about NexGard Chewables

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.