Don’t do it!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

Nexguard gave one of my dogs seizures! The vet poo poo’d the idea that Nexguard was the cause and wanted me to start the horrible seizure meds that he’d have to take the rest of his life...he was only 1. I refused to start seizure meds despite intense pressure and stopped the Nexguard. On 11-23-17 it will be 1 year seizure free. I’m absolutely convinced this poison induced seizures. Very scary experience.

New to NexGuard, not sure now $$$

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

Have an 8 year old mixed breed that I rescued years ago. This poor dog has been thru a burn from a vet, moving to different states, etc.. She is a tough cookie. I moved from NC to Ohio, found a new vet that offered NexGard for flea and tick guard. I trusted the where making the right choice, I have one of those dogs who is allergic to flea bites. We tried it, she lost her ability to eat, massive poop explosion every where..that was about 7 days after we took the first dose..Vet checked her out RX for antibiotics, Poop stopper stuff, and steroids. She was ok, lost her food ability except table food, HA! NOW, second dose, 24 hours.. BOOM!! Back again.. I truly believe that my dog CANNNOT take this, with this type of reaction- NO WAY!! I feel so bad for her.. It makes me so angry and upset that she has to go thru this. I will be speaking to the VET today, It may work for some dogs but it looks like the majority, it doesn't.. I will be reaching out to the company to let them know and the government for the reactions. Just like the flu shot.. I am one mad momma of my fur baby!!

Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Kills the pest and the pets

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

Killed the fleas and ticks, may have killed my dog too. 1st dose, the dog had an allergic reaction. It was blamed on the spring weather. 2nd month, the dog stopped eating and still itched We changed the food to something more appealing and continued allergy treatment. Dog had diarrhea for several days. We switched back to dry only. Dog vomited and had blood in his stool. $300 later and an emergency visit, he was treated for gastric issues. Our dog starts losing 3 times his normal shedding. He gets white skin flakes all over his body. I'm out of money, I keep washing him and grooming and conditioning his skin. On the 4th dose, the dog vomits bile, wretches, and faints.

At this time I did some internet research on adverse reactions. Apparently, collie breeds can keep NextGuard in a collie's system for up to 48 days after the first dose. Some dogs lack a gene that keeps the poison from reaching the brain. My dog ran into a wall this week. He is fussy on his playdates. He lays around all day instead of herding me for a walk. He is winded and breathes heavy after play. I started giving the dog food grade activated charcoal with pumpkin and coconut oil to help purge the poison. Wishing I had fleas back.

One more thing, the dog is always with us. My kids and I have all had rashes on the hands or legs and itching after playing with the dog. He is excreting poison from his skin.

Horrid stuff. It did kill the fleas.

Will never use again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

My puppy is 3 months old . He was put on nexgard a month ago. He started seeing blood in urine. Vet ran all tests, and found nothing. He was placed on antibiotics. Condition cleared. Was given another dose this month ,3 days later same problem. Will not use again. Hope it clears up.

Morgan hill

Awful product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2017

I bought this from my vet for my 4 year old lab who has no history of reactions from flea medications and we have used just about everything (Frontline, Advantage, Seresto, and Bravecto). Within 12 hours of her first months dose I woke up to her having full body tremors. It has been ongoing since giving the meds over a week ago and the vet has no clue when it will stop. She has no history of seizures so I had assumed this medication would be fine. I would not recommend this medication to anyone.

Amazing!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2017

My dog ( 2 year old 85 lb black lab) has taken Bravecto and Nexgard with 0 side effects!. He has very sensitive skin and is allergic to fleas. We literally tried everything before the vet recommended these products to us! They have deff been a life saver! No more scratching/itching, no more redness on his belly, and no more sleepless night because he couldn’t stop scratching! I am very very pleased with these two products! (Only switched to Nexgard because our new vet (we moved) doesn’t carry Bravecto). I’m terribly sorry for the ones who have had issues with it!

Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

My Dogs have flea dirt, flea bites, and LIVE ticks & tick bites all over them!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2017

I purchased the NexGard from my vet, for my 2 dogs. It is not an inexpensive product to buy. The expiration dates were good, and I feed it to my dogs on the 1st day of each month, in order to not miss a dose. My dogs love to eat the NexGard and they have had no side effects from it. Unfortunately, NexGard does not work. My dogs have bites & dirt from both fleas and ticks. I found a live tick on each dog. So, I place each tick in a container to see how long they would stay alive. After 1 full week both ticks were still alive and kicking. I was not happy with NexGard, so I went back to K-9 Advantx (which works excellent), Then my vet talked me into trying it again. I am very sorry I did. I will not buy it again. I'm going back to K-9 Advantix. It is a topical but, at least I can count on it working. My poor babies are miserable and I am afraid of a tick getting on one of us too.

San Antonio

• 2 answers

Line: Orange (For Dogs 2 - 4kg)

Saved my dog’s life. This stuff was amazing.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2017

So I picked up a stray that had easily 2000 ticks on him. The shampoo killed about 80% but that leaves 400 ticks to still be dealt with. The vet prescribed me this. I gave it to Duke (i named him despite being told he might not make it with the severe anemia from the ticks). Immediately after, I started reading reviews on here and got very scared. What did I do? I surely must have killed him! They’re all 1 star horror stories. I am happy to say that a week later I have a social, bouncy, happy puppy who wasn’t even expected to make it. This stuff saved his life. Within two hours of taking it, dead ticks started falling off. Within 24 hours of taking it he had no more ticks anywhere and my house had no tick problem because any that fell off were already dead. I love this Nexguard now and would definitely use it again. i am so sorry for anyone who experienced horror stories, I can’t imagine.

Unfortunately I got pregnant once using two forms of birth control. There’s always a chance and I was the first person to go review my that birth control drug and tell everyone how much they sucked. take drug reviews with a grain of salt, you usually only hear from the angry people. If it was so horrible, your vet probably wouldn’t have prescribed it.

Sydney

Line: Green (For Dogs 10.1 - 24kg)

Avoid! My dog got cancer after using it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

My little dog got diagnosed with an aggressive cancer - after researching this awful poison I suspect it has at least contributed to my dog's cancer - the company paid for the trials of this drug, it is anoncesticide in the same family as another incesticide that is carcinogenic. Please, please do not give this poison to your furry family member.

Park Rapids

Almost killed my dog

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

Our dog and two cats had fleas and we were going on vacation and leaving the dog with my mother-in-law and we could not send him there with fleas. I bought a 3 pack of Nexgard chewables. The first time we gave this to our dog, within 4 hours he had explosive diarrhea that was reddish-brown and like NOTHING that he had ever expelled. I called the vet and they poo-pooed it. I called a second time with the same response. Fleas were gone on him but we worried the whole vacation. It lasted 6 months. In June I cut the second chewable into quarters and gave them to the dog over a couple hours wrapped inside raw beef. We saw no observable reaction but I am not sure if we walked him shortly after. The third tablet was the problem. I gave him the whole thing on a Sunday evening. By Wednesday he was limping really bad as if he had hurt his right front paw/leg. By Thursday, he had become lethargic and was not eating normally and his eyes were red and slightly swollen. By Friday his eyes were horribly red, swollen and sunken in. His breathing was shallow and he was listless. I called the vet and they, again, declined to give any credibility to his condition being associated with the Nexgard. They said I could bring him in and they would do some blood work to test for Lyme disease, but he had been in there two weeks earlier and had had his rabies vaccine and one other (which may be the reason, it just occurred to me, that he reacted...his system was overloaded with toxins) My husband and I were pretty sure he was on his way out, given his condition and we did not take him to the vet for two reasons: 1) they were clear that they could not actually DO anything for him to counteract the poison (they were just willing to test and poke and prod) and, 2) going to the vet is stressful for the dog because of the poking and prodding and we didn't think more stress was a good idea. I was panicked and called a naturopathic friend who recommended activated charcoal or bentonite clay, both items absorb toxins and move the toxins out and I had both in the house. I gave the dog two or three opened capsules of the charcoal within some raw burger. My husband slept on the couch next to where the dog was laying in case something happened in the night. It is a week now and he seems to be back to normal. The company (Merial) that makes Nexgard (and Frontline) was very clear that their products should never be given again if there is/was ANY type of reaction. They are even willing to refund what you paid for the product and take back any unused portion, I believe. My frustration is that the vet did not honor that but rather poo-pooed the possibility of a connection. Future flea problems will be treated with peppermint soap baths and other more natural methods. You can also look at the reports of reactions and deaths that the FDA tracks. The report makes it very clear that the data (i.e. number and type of reactions) is under-reported.

My poor baby

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2017

Should have read these reviews first. My retriever experienced diarrhea the first two days. Red bumps appeared over the first week and turned into hot spots. She would wake up scratching and licking every day for the next five weeks. The vet recommended bathing her more... never using this product again and never taking her this vet again.

Poison

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2017

Dog has had watery diarrhea since taking it. I would never buy this product again. Don't do this to your pet.

cessnock

• 1 answer

From healthy to seizures

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2017

We are in a high flea and tick area, but don't use any product over winter but use it as soon as the ticks are in season. My dogs are so much healthier and happier when they are on no treatment. Started on Nexgard and my cattle dogs became tired. Now one of them has had seizures in the past few days, one week after the table was given. He has now got low blood sugar and seems cerebrally irritated. I'm sure it will cost me hundreds of dollars at the vets to get to the bottom of it all, when I strongly suspect the Nexgard is the cause. And yes, he is currently having blood tests as they suspect chemical reaction to 'something'. The same dog had a severe reaction to Comfortis

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

Sorry I didn't check the internet first

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2017

Gave my 7 year old girl one tablet on 18th September. She had diarrhoea that night and stopped eating food. Luckily still drinking water. Last three days she started eating treats again but still green sticky poo and a sore on the bum. Going for walks and behaving normally again now. Hope her bowels come good again soon.
So sorry to read all the other sad stories.
I will throw out the rest of the tablets - lucky only bought a 3 pack ($75). There must be other dog owners who have had no problems? This would be off the market if it was a human drug.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Happy to report that she's all good now after 1 week.

• 1 review
  • 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Grand Mal Seizures in 10 pound Wheaton Terrier Pup

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

10 pound Wheaton Terrier puppy was given NexGard Chewable for dogs 10 - 24 pounds by Vet.. Grand Mal seizures experienced. Perfectly healthy puppy before this was given. Now two months later (after given rabies and puppy vaccinations) has experienced small seizures for 5 days. I blame NexGard for altering his brain chemistry because he was so young when he experienced devastating grand mal seizures. My own 8 year pit bull also became extremely ill last year from one chewable. Had I known that her vet was going to give this chewable to her puppy, I would have warned her. Terrible drug and vets should be warning their clients of its devastating side effects on some puppies and dogs. I am sure some dogs can tolerate it, but this is a dangerous drug that should be taken off of the market. BTW, to some of you who are still giving this drug to your dog on an ongoing basis - you might want to think twice. These side effects can crop up after multiple doses are given down the road. The manufacturer admitted to the vet that it can cause seizures. I think the problem with puppies and this drug is that they are still developing and this drug can alter brain pathways.

Line: Blue (For Dogs 4.1 - 10kg)

Nexgard is poisonous for dogs!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

Gave nexgard at 2pm, diarrhea started at 1am and lasted 5 weeks, antibiotics, testing, stool hardener and special food because her gut got so messed up, this is a terrible thing the vet said she needed, I would never give this to another dog just because some salesman told my vet the drug company said it's the best things for ticks, it's not, it's the best thing for my vets pockets!

Garbage

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

Product did not work for ticks! Our sweet baby got Lyme disease and we never missed a dose. We don't walk our baby in the woods or permit her to play in stagnant water. $975.00 for vet bills and testing! Will never use again. We are going all natural. So tired of expensive products that don't work. Really disappointed.

Very Bad Experience !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

I only gave 1 star because it was necessary to post my review. As promised, the fleas appeared on the surface and died within 24 hours. For the last two weeks my Corgi has had skin problems. Super sensitivity, touching causes shivers, skin over 80% of her body, has a yellow crusty scaling. She cannot tolerate normal grooming. I do not recommend this product.

Trash

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

This pill didn't do anything for my dog. Gave it to him for 3 months, and had no results. Would not recommend - total waste of money.

Rochester, NY

Private message

Verified Purchase Line: Red (For Dogs 25 - 50kg)

Nexguard has ruined our lives

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

Many side effects. I'm worried about what damage it has done Nexguard only prevents fleas for 2 wks. I'm feeling even more horrible buying this over priced poison

1 of 21 pages