Filter By:

Dont waste time joining.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

They like to take your money but make every excuse NOT to pay claims. Even with top cover and being a member since 1977. I feel ripped of and have wasted money.

Worst Hospital Cover

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Changed from HCF to NIB. Was told that the cover was the same but a recent trip to the hospital that cost about $2500, I just got a txt this morning to tell me that as a valued customer I would get $147 back. I called sure that they had missed a decimal place but no. They only pay the 25% gap that Medicare doesn't pay for a specialist of the allotted amount the government deems for procedures. I got more back from Medicare and don't have to pay the monthly premium. Needless to say I am no longer with NIB!

Sydney

• 5 helpful votes

NIB, HCF and Iselect

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

Just to fill anyone else in who might be thinking of changing health funds, despite being told it was meant to be an easy process, it is not. Below are some pitfalls involved in the process

1. DO NOT use your existing health care cards after the date you sign up with the new fund, sadly the cards will still work. If you do it will hold up the whole transfer procedure by up to a month, as recoveries tries to get back the refund, if they even try, it appears that they will just sit on it, and delay everything.

2. You wont get your new cards for a few weeks, during that time you wont be able to make any claims, except using an app or online. This of course assumes you are paid up, in my case HCF set the first payment date 1 month after I left NIB, which meant that unless I made an immediate payment, they wouldn't cover any online claims either, of course they don't tell you this.

3. Until everything is resolved, NIB wont send HCF my certificate of cover which outlines my previous claims and coverage on waiting times.

4. Because of the delay NIB was still planning to deduct my next monthly payment, I'm hoping I caught that in time with today's phone call to NIB, but I'm not convinced and the proof will be in the pudding.

5. I'm still waiting on one claim made through NIB after the transfer date, recoveries had either missed it or was sitting on it, either way, nothing is being finalised. With today's phone hopefully we can get the ball rolling again.

6. ISelect mislead me in so many ways, its not funny. The main one being that given they had all of the information available to them, they said my monthly payments would be around $100 less per month, great yes?. NO, because during this time my daughter has a birthday, and this changes everything, and I will now be paying $20 more per month, so either they where incompetent or withheld information just to get there commission.

All in all, I should never have let Iselect switch health funds for me.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

Terrible returns

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

You get nothing back after paying so much premium and on top of that they have been increasing their premium every year. Customer service is terrible as well. Would not recommend NIB to anyone.

Bendigo

• 2 answers
Private message

NIB should be banned from Australia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2017

The out of pocket gap with NIB was $ 384.00 per eye and the anesthetist $129.00 per eye.
Change to BUPA gap now is $84.00 per eye and $29.00. Stay away from this mob.

Perth

• 2 questions
  • 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

All out nothin back!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

It's funny that every time I try and make a small claim for remidial massage I send the receipt in and use the app to do so then I get a letter 2 weeks later saying it's not covered, then I ring up and say well yes it is and they end up paying, this has happened 3 times now!

More than happy to take my money, alway a struggle to get a few bucks back, I am sure they are all the same though!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Maitland

Beware of Inconsistency

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

My husband & I have been a Gold Member (Highest Cover) for over 50yrs. During that time we have not had any major claims. Over the years we have regular Remedial Massage & through our top ancillary cover receive a meagre $11 rebate until we reach our limit which is usually Nov/Dec each calendar year. Can you imagine the surprise to receive a letter dated 2/6/17 saying "they cannot pay your claim this time as your nib policy doesn't cover these kinds of service" & goes on to say they have a range of health covers that may provide more appropriate cover for our stage of life!!!
The inconvenience of phoning & being transferred from operator to operator was an unnecessary time waster & something I could well do without. After over 30mins I was advised they couldn't see why our claim was declined & they would resubmit.
NIB never misses debuting our account for our high monthly premiums.
I will be looking for alternative provider

Ballarat

• 1 question

Insurance claim made

One of the Worst for Rebates!!!!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2017

Partner had a kidney removed and then heart issues. We are in the Ballarat area, NIB are the worst for gap payments. All the other Health Insurers have contracts with the major hospitals, doctors, anaesthetists, pathologists and imaging specialist EXCEPT NIB, all of them state the same issue, that NIB will NOT sign up with them. So far we are out of pocket for over $7,000 and still more bills to come and we are in the top cover. We spend around $6,000 a year for premium cover and still payout every time we use their service.
My partner had one lot of surgery in Melbourne and the Anaesthetist actually told us that for this particular surgery that NIB only cover anaesthetist for 2 hours work. If he went over that time, not only would NIB not pay the extra time, they would not even pay the first 2 hours and that we would be out of pocket for the whole expense. How sneaky is NIB!!!!!!!!!!!! The only good part was the anaesthetist actually cared and donated an hour of his time, we will always be grateful to him!
Seriously, if I added up all our premiums over the years we did not claim, I still think we would have come out in front just paying for all the treatment ourselves without NIB private health cover.

NIB Hospital Cover

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

I thought my policy was good value when come claiming time - all the hidden gaps surface!
Of course setting up the policy was easy as you want our business!
10% satisfied.
Before going into the hospital for my bilateral knee surgery I called three times to check that I was covered for top cover. Yes everything was cleared until after my op and I started receiving all the gap payments - physio, clinilab, SKG etc etc. I was not informed of the preferred list of Physios etc that I could avail of during my hospital stay. As as a result, I am out of pocket for quite a few invoices. On speaking to one of your consultants in Accounts - she was extremely rude and mentioned that I had claimed for my knee operation and the amount gap that I had to pay was insignificant! That is extremely great customer service! I am entitled to the op expenses as I deliberately took out TOP HOSPITAL COVER so I would be covered! I am extremely angry that she had to make this commence considering she is an employee of NIB and not directly paying me out of her account! I am definitely shopping around for other more customer friendly and ethical insurance companies!

Toowoomba

Insurance claim made

Worst hospital cover - cancel your policy and never sign up..

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

Had a septoplasty and had to pay $640 for the anaesthetist, and $1140 for the procedure. NIB paid $60.20 of the anethatist bill, and $120.80 of the procedure. That's 10% of the total fees. These people are robbers and I have been a member for 8 years and paid over $16000.00 in premiums to get $180.00 back?? Criminals don't waste your time. They tell me for the surgeon to put a medigap in place, surgeon tells me they have tried for 2 years but no one gets back to them. Surprise Surprise..

Melb

Terrible!!! Stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Terrible!!! Stay away. No one is listening, they make it awful to claim. Spent so many hours with useless "consultants" on the phone.

You want the extra's.... get ready for a long ride.

You want to claim personal trainer or gym? Good luck with that. (spent months and hours till we gave up).

Moved on to another company, claims are so easy, getting better with extras...

Worst Health Insurance Available

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

NIB pay surgeons / anaesthetists etc only a fraction above the medicare rebate, far less than all other insurers except for Latrobe, so your out of pocket costs are FAR higher. Change straight away to a proper insurance company!!

Wangi Wangi

• 2 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Cancel but not actioned. No refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2017

I signed up with NIB for less than a week. Then found a better deal and called NIB to cancel and get refund of first month premium which had already been charged to my credit card. I was told that would be cine and it would be processed. No crexit appeared so i called about week or so later to again be assured that the cover was cancelled and recund would be made.
So today I call again as no credit has appeared. Lovely customer service lady was very apologetic saying she could see record of previous calls but a new monthly debit would go to my card tonight.....for the policy that i cancelled 3 weeks ago.
She passed the message to the cancellation department and assured me they would call. But to date no call.
So they now have about 450 of my money for cover that does not exist.
Absolutely disgraceful i think.
Next stop is the Private health insurance ombudsman
In such a competitive market seems like NIB have little idea of customer service.
Good luck to anyone who signs with them

Insurance claim made

No point in having cover. Better off without it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

I paid extra for the most comprehensive policy. I went on a snowboarding trip and dislocated my shoulder. It was popped back in at the mountain's medical centre. I phoned NIB asking if I could go to the private centre down the bottom of the mountain for the shoulder x-rays, they said no, it had to be the public centre (as part of this would be coveted by ACC). The x rays were covered by ACC but the initial doctors visit was not ($200). They said they would not cover it because it was a 'mountain rescue'. When I told them it was simply the mountain's hospital, it was not a rescue, they told me it didn't matter. When I asked whether if I needed surgery/CT scans etc that this would be covered they said no. When I asked them why, they said because it is under ACC. When I asked whether any excess over what ACC would pay for would be covered, they said no! Let's be honest, I'm 27 years old. They only things I am likely to be claiming for at this age are 'accidents'. If my health care happily let's ACC foot the bill but won't even cover the difference I am out of pocket, what is the point of insurance. I have paid for the initial mountain consult and numerous physio appointments even though my policy covered physio. They never paid me a cent. I cancelled my policy that day. Waste of money.

Very bad customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2017

I only joined NIB online for half an hour. I decided not to join. I immediate sent an email to NIB to cancel my joining. I even rang them up but their team was busy. I left a message to ask them to get someone to call me back. But I did not receive any call after 5 days. Now I received a message from my current health insurer saying that they are going to cancel my membership. I am very angry. Never ever think of joining NIB. Very bad customer service!!!!!!!!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Just switched from Medibank due to price increase

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2017

I've yet to actually claim on my cover.
I'm believing that the Medibank to nib transfer will go smoothly.
Staff in offices are a bit hit and miss with their knowledge and attitude

Balaclava, VIC

Private message

Cancelled but still direct debited account - I'd call that theft!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2017

The cancellation process was arduous, still took payment after we switched providers and apparently because it's 'their' busy period i had to wait on hold forever rather than allowing me to cancel through their online chat. Seems redundant to have it available if you can't actually do anything on chat. Poor customer experience.

Disappointed in NIB Customer Service Feb 2017

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

Been a NIB Member for 20+ years.Having another baby. (4) separate occasions CS Staff were argumentative and dissmissive over trivial queries. Looked elsewhere and found a much better deal for my family

Discusting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

Well I've been a member with nib for around 20 years and I've now left them. I'm so disappointed in how they shut many branches down and moved some services off shore. Ah that's their secret. Contacting them by phone is almost impossible, their premiums are ridiculously increased over the board and I'd suggest all member to see just what you're covered for. I'm a male and found i was covered for many IMPOSSIBLY things and really not much i needed at all. Doubt I'll be having a baby soon joke. Ridiculous absolutely discusted in their fees, etc. discusting.

• 56 comments
  • 6 questions
  • 26 answers
  • 200 helpful votes

27% increase in premium over the last 3 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

Look at inflation, look at wage growth. 27% in a 3 year period is nothing but gouging your ever decreasing client base. You'll go out of business and you'll wonder why

1 of 15 pages

hi there..does NIB cover a partial discount for ray ban sunglasses...not prescription glasses at OPSM or sunglasses hut?

Debra R asked on Aug 30, 2017

Answer this

Actually I just bought a pair of Ray Ban, from Sunglasses hut and asked the sales person for a discount, she said the store doesn't give discount, but if am a member of a private health fund they offer a discount. doesn't matter which health fund! Cheers

Hi Debra, thank you for your enquiry. I can advise that we do not pay any benefits towards non-prescription sunglasses. Kind regards, Jess.

Cost of student health insurance and where can I get insurance Location please let me know these things?

Pavan asked on Aug 16, 2017

Answer this

I cannot answer the cost of student health insurance, sorry, My blog was to make people aware of that particular health insurance company called NIB.
But you can check the government, web site about health insurance company prices. What you need to make sure of, is the out of pocket cost, you will have to pay
after a visit to the hospital and the extra money payable to the surgeons. Cheers

Hi Pavan,

To find out more about our products please visit our website: https://www.nib.com.au/ or contact us on 13 16 42.

Many thanks,
Paige

i am an overseas student, I with NIB for two years now. i am pregnant now and due date in April 2018. Does Nib OSHC cover Obstetrics fees? what different between choose private hospital in NIB agreement hospital list or not on the list? Does Nib OSHC cover all the private hospital fee or just part of it? what different for choose public hospital and private hospital?

Yvonne asked on Aug 07, 2017

Hi Yvonne,

Yes obstetrics are covered on the nib OSHC core product at 85% MBS for outpatient medical & 100% MBS for inpatient medical services.

There is a 12 month waiting period for pregnancy related services.

Benefits payable for hospital accommodation and theatre are:

• nib Agreement Private hospital - contracted rate.
• Public hospital - state and territory health authorities rate for public hospitals.
• Non-contracted private hospital - default benefits.

It is important for you to give the hospital Informed Financial Consent and ask the hospital to do an eligibility check so that the hospital can inform you of any potential out of pocket expenses, as there may be considerable out of pocket expenses for non-contracted private hospitals and public hospitals.

If there is anything else you need, please feel free to call us on 13 16 42 or email [email protected]

Regards,