Filter By:

Myocum

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Liars and evaders of a direct answer

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

I have been paying into NIB since 1996 and have made very few claims. I recently had to have cataract surgery and when I checked, NIB said I was "not fully covered". In all those years I was never made aware of that by NIB.When I asked "what not fully covered meant" the person in their Sydney office face- to- face told me she couldn't tell me and I needed to check with the hospital. The hospital told me I was not covered at all for hospital costs or the anaesthetist. To get a reimbursement for the doctor I had to pay a $200 excess. The hospital told me of all health funds NIB is the worst to deal with. I will be finding a new fund immediately and telling everyone I know to DUMP NIB!

Extremely slow

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2017

They are unbelievably slow. It took close to three months to process my payment request. When I complained they made that process slow and cumbersome. Not impressed. They didn't seem to think there was a problem. Looking for another insurer.

Victoria

• 1 answer
  • 7 helpful votes

Excellent service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

I was recently looking for new health insurance for our stage of life as a couple...I thought I had found the perfect policy and signed up to change over from our present one....then ir ead our email which said we were paying what I thought was a monthly amount was actually a fortnightly amount. I had not read things properly and just saw the instalments amount....I did a quick panic as I had already approved the credit card payments each month. I called NIB and explained and was put onto a lovely man who calmed me down and arranged to revert the application as though I hadn't applied for it. He was so helpful it made me wish theirs was cheaper than what we have so I could deal with them more...

Super easy to claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2017

I have been using NIB for over a year and I have found it the easiest insurer I have ever worked with to claim. Upload the receipt, instant confirmation, and then I get the funds over quite quickly. They have taken the pain out of submitting so that you can do it quickly in between tasks- instead of having to schedule time to fight with an online system like other insurers have. Great work- couldn't be happier.

Insurance claim made

They refused to pay my hospital bills and even had to look for an excuse not to give me give me back

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 03, 2017

These guys just want your money they tell you they will pay you 5days after you make a claim but they never do, they try to find excuses not to pay you. I felt I was going to save a little joining then but I’ve spent more since I joined them. Sad how these guys rip young international students off

Comments
NIB Official

Hi Tony, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please contact us directly on 13 16 42 and we can investigate this further for you. Thanks, Paige

Insurance claim made

Thinking of ditching private cover completely? this provider will help you make the decision to do j

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

Totally dissatisfied with the essentials cover I thought I had.
I regret changing providers NIB make it up as they go to not pay out claims.
I wish I had stayed with HBF as a pensioner I was trying to save on premiums but it has cost me more by getting less back. After I submitted my claim I received an email informing me that my claim would be paid into my nominated account within five days and if there were any problems they would be in touch. After over two weeks later having had no further contact from them I called only to be told I had no refund due.

Comments
NIB Official

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind giving us a call on 13 16 42 and we can look into this further for you. Thanks, Paige

Insurance claim made

No customer service on claims. Waiting for 15 days for a claim what a joke.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

No customer service at all. Use the app to claim get a claim confirmation email advising 1. Claim should be paid to account within 5 days. 2. If there are any issues with the claim, nib will contact you. What a joke, who stills sends out letters advising that your claim is declined or asking for additional information.
First thing you don’t receive the old school letter for 5 days then you ring and they cannot answer advising you will have to fix it up and send it in again another 5 days wasted.
Been a member for over 40 years not happy “what about a phone call” don’t keep rejecting and sending out a letter asking for information ring, text or even email, not even a complication claims which I am covered for. If they do not change in a hurry will have to look at changing to a company that has real customer service.

Comments
NIB Official

Hi Peter, I am sorry to hear about your experience. If you could please contact us direct on 13 16 42 and we would be happy to look into this further. Thanks, Paige

Paying a small fortune for no cover!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

NIB... Paying a small fortune for medium cover and they won't cover crowns. That also refused me getting a filling for the same tooth (as a cost effective solution) yet I got a filling from a professional independent dentist. There's little value with NIB against premiums paid. The dental part try and upsell you to other procedures you may not need. Terrible.

Insurance claim made

They refused to pay the bills to the hospital.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

Just got a phone call from hospital today as NIB refused to pay the bills to hospital as they the symptom is pre existing condition which I never had it before.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 28 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

The health insurance of ever diminishing returns - but ever increasing premiums

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

I have been with NIB for 10+ years.

Over the last 5 years my premiums have doubled. All the while my benefits have either remained unchanged, or lowered. All the while NIB cite "increasing costs in the industry".

Perfect example is that you used to be able to claim $250 of remedial massage/accupuncture etc. This has been changed to only $125 of remedial massage, and $125 of accupuncture. So where you used to be able to claim $250 of either remedial massage or accupuncture, you can now only claim half.

I believe their premiums appear competitive, but value for money is not there.

Customer service staff appear to be poorly trained. I have spent thousands with them over the years - and claimed hundreds in return. At no point have they ever contacted me to offer a more appropriate plan.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Lied about cover, 8 months no payout, One call to the hospital by me to expose them, NIB pays today

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2017

I'm a doctor in training. I know a bit about what i'm talking about.

Was in hospital emergency for elbow dislocation + 2 later outpatient appointments with the orthopaedic doctor and Xrays.

1 month in, realised no reimbursements into my account.

1st lie: NIB said they double paid the health provider. They are waiting for funds to be returned. I called health provider who had proof funds were returned. NIB blamed me for the double pay because I submitted invoices and not receipts. Asked me to do the accounts digging with the health department. NIB was in fact at fault. Their claims form said to make sure all accounts were paid before submitting. I paid all these bills promptly before submitting.

2nd lie: NIB recovery was in fact secretly in the process of demanding health provider return the funds to them because they were denying my claim (after paying out). 4 months later, still no info that claims were denied, only that the health provider couldn't find the records

3rd lie: 6 months later, case escalated, but NIB says no record of my complaint. I have email proof of being ignored by senior case managers. Every time I call in, they say they have no records. I'm asked to go over details all over and send in documents again. When I decline to give the info, they miraculously manage to pull up records of conversations and documents I've sent in months before. They are just lazy and want you to do the work of compiling the case file for them in a neat email so they don't have to pick up where their other ignorant colleague had left off.

4th lie: They claim they couldn't understand the clearly itemised invoices (despite being health insurance companies who specialise in medical things). They said they had to call the hospital for clarification of what the invoices were for, who told them all my visits were 10 odd clinic visit were all physiotherapy (and its not covered). This was a lie as verified by the hospital. My hospital invoices clearly wrote which clinics I visited (i.e. Radiology, emergency dept, outpatient orthopaedics). The only 1 physio visit was explicitly written as "physio - allied health". They are either blind or liars. No excuse. Furthermore, no one followed up with me and no one advised me that they had denied my claims as part of the case investigation. Hospital said that NIB is lying because they would never have said that.

5th lie: NIB then backpedals and says all the clinics were billed through the physiotherapy department, hence all are considered physiotherapy and all claims denied. Lie. The billings were done through respective clinics. Physiotherapy was only 1 bill out of 10-ish. NIB senior staff then starts to condescend to me, telling me that all these claims are related to hand therapy, hence are considered Allied health. Really? An orthopaedic doctor, an emergency physician and a radiologist who sees me for an emergency is billed through physiotherapy allied health department?

I'm too tired to carry on this review. All calls to NIB were recorded by me, so if NIB wants to challenge whatever I've written, go ahead. Maybe I should get my lawyer to sue them for punitive damages for all the lies and time wasted. I run a business on the side as well and the amount of time i've wasted on the phone with them amounts to far more than the money I was trying to recover from NIB.

END OF STORY:
After 8 months of countless hours on the phone with NIB and the health accounts department, I make one 5 minute call to [name removed] accounts to verify if NIB was lying. The champion then calls NIB direct on my behalf. Claims are being paid out today. The champion tells me over the phone "NIB doesn't know what they are talking about". Settled. Lies debunked. 8 months to pay a $1500 cumulative bill, for which they have only paid $33 to date

They'll do everything and anything to deny your claim, make speedy requests and impose penalties for late payments. But when it involves them making a payout, they take months, are allowed to lie, with no recourse.

People here complain about rude service staff, and ruder as you get more senior. That's probably the criteria for being hired. Companies like these love people who would do anything to deny your claim. Won't be surprised if they get a commission for every claim they deny using fine print.

Comments
NIB Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please contact us directly on 13 14 63 and we would be happy to look into this for you.

Many thanks,
Paige

8 months back and forth with you people and weeks of no response despite multiple reminder emails and calls to NIB. I write one bad review here with the potential to reach a massive customer base and I get a reply within 24hours.

Follow up to the case, NIB only pays out half of my visits after the health provider calls me and tells me that NIB is "incompetent and doesn't know what the F* they are doing". This is in OCTOBER,... read more »

On line claim hopeless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

No customer service just letters asking for additional information sent it and asking again for information I sent first time. Been a member for over 40 years not happy what about a phone call not keep rejecting and asking for information not even complication only claiming for a prescription which I am covered for. Give me an office I can attend thinking of changing to a company that has an office and real customer service.

great extras benefits

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2017

i like how easy NIB is to use and the 60% back on extras haven't needed to use hospital cover but friends have also recommended NIB who have used hospital cover.
The people i have sapoken to on the phone are very helpful and its such good value for money!

• 2 helpful votes

2 months and received nothing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

I signed up dental insurance and was told I would receive my welcome pack and card within 5/7 days 2 mths later no card and no welcome pack my dental appointment was for tomorrow but as I still haven't received my insurance card I can't use the policy in my dental office. I phoned nib and was giving my policy number after 2 months over the phone told I could use it in my dental office to which my dentists said as I have no card I would have to pay up front and claim later off my insurance. The whole point of having dental insurance was so I wouldn't have to pay upfront. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Salamander Bay

Dont waste time joining.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

They like to take your money but make every excuse NOT to pay claims. Even with top cover and being a member since 1977. I feel ripped of and have wasted money.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Worst Hospital Cover

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Changed from HCF to NIB. Was told that the cover was the same but a recent trip to the hospital that cost about $2500, I just got a txt this morning to tell me that as a valued customer I would get $147 back. I called sure that they had missed a decimal place but no. They only pay the 25% gap that Medicare doesn't pay for a specialist of the allotted amount the government deems for procedures. I got more back from Medicare and don't have to pay the monthly premium. Needless to say I am no longer with NIB!

Sydney

• 7 helpful votes

NIB, HCF and Iselect

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

Just to fill anyone else in who might be thinking of changing health funds, despite being told it was meant to be an easy process, it is not. Below are some pitfalls involved in the process

1. DO NOT use your existing health care cards after the date you sign up with the new fund, sadly the cards will still work. If you do it will hold up the whole transfer procedure by up to a month, as recoveries tries to get back the refund, if they even try, it appears that they will just sit on it, and delay everything.

2. You wont get your new cards for a few weeks, during that time you wont be able to make any claims, except using an app or online. This of course assumes you are paid up, in my case HCF set the first payment date 1 month after I left NIB, which meant that unless I made an immediate payment, they wouldn't cover any online claims either, of course they don't tell you this.

3. Until everything is resolved, NIB wont send HCF my certificate of cover which outlines my previous claims and coverage on waiting times.

4. Because of the delay NIB was still planning to deduct my next monthly payment, I'm hoping I caught that in time with today's phone call to NIB, but I'm not convinced and the proof will be in the pudding.

5. I'm still waiting on one claim made through NIB after the transfer date, recoveries had either missed it or was sitting on it, either way, nothing is being finalised. With today's phone hopefully we can get the ball rolling again.

6. ISelect mislead me in so many ways, its not funny. The main one being that given they had all of the information available to them, they said my monthly payments would be around $100 less per month, great yes?. NO, because during this time my daughter has a birthday, and this changes everything, and I will now be paying $20 more per month, so either they where incompetent or withheld information just to get there commission.

All in all, I should never have let Iselect switch health funds for me.

Perth

• 3 helpful votes

Terrible returns

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

You get nothing back after paying so much premium and on top of that they have been increasing their premium every year. Customer service is terrible as well. Would not recommend NIB to anyone.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Bendigo

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

NIB should be banned from Australia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2017

The out of pocket gap with NIB was $ 384.00 per eye and the anesthetist $129.00 per eye.
Change to BUPA gap now is $84.00 per eye and $29.00. Stay away from this mob.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

• 2 questions
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

All out nothin back!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

It's funny that every time I try and make a small claim for remidial massage I send the receipt in and use the app to do so then I get a letter 2 weeks later saying it's not covered, then I ring up and say well yes it is and they end up paying, this has happened 3 times now!

More than happy to take my money, alway a struggle to get a few bucks back, I am sure they are all the same though!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes