Filter By:

Perth

• 2 questions

All out nothin back!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

It's funny that every time I try and make a small claim for remidial massage I send the receipt in and use the app to do so then I get a letter 2 weeks later saying it's not covered, then I ring up and say well yes it is and they end up paying, this has happened 3 times now!

More than happy to take my money, alway a struggle to get a few bucks back, I am sure they are all the same though!

Maitland

Beware of Inconsistency

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

My husband & I have been a Gold Member (Highest Cover) for over 50yrs. During that time we have not had any major claims. Over the years we have regular Remedial Massage & through our top ancillary cover receive a meagre $11 rebate until we reach our limit which is usually Nov/Dec each calendar year. Can you imagine the surprise to receive a letter dated 2/6/17 saying "they cannot pay your claim this time as your nib policy doesn't cover these kinds of service" & goes on to say they have a range of health covers that may provide more appropriat e cover for our stage of life!!!
The inconvenience of phoning & being transferred from operator to operator was an unnecessary time waster & something I could well do without. After over 30mins I was advised they couldn't see why our claim was declined & they would resubmit.
NIB never misses debuting our account for our high monthly premiums.
I will be looking for alternative provider

Ballarat

Insurance claim made

One of the Worst for Rebates!!!!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2017

Partner had a kidney removed and then heart issues. We are in the Ballarat area, NIB are the worst for gap payments. All the other Health Insurers have contracts with the major hospitals, doctors, anaesthetists, pathologists and imaging specialist EXCEPT NIB, all of them state the same issue, that NIB will NOT sign up with them. So far we are out of pocket for over $7,000 and still more bills to come and we are in the top cover. We spend around $6,000 a year for premium cover and still payout every time we use their service.
My partner had
one lot of surgery in Melbourne and the Anaesthetist actually told us that for this particular surgery that NIB only cover anaesthetist for 2 hours work. If he went over that time, not only would NIB not pay the extra time, they would not even pay the first 2 hours and that we would be out of pocket for the whole expense. How sneaky is NIB!!!!!!!!!!!! The only good part was the anaesthetist actually cared and donated an hour of his time, we will always be grateful to him!
Seriously, if I added up all our premiums over the years we did not claim, I still think we would have come out in front just paying for all the treatment ourselves without NIB private health cover.

NIB Hospital Cover

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

I thought my policy was good value when come claiming time - all the hidden gaps surface!
Of course setting up the policy was easy as you want our business!
10% satisfied.
Before going into the hospital for my bilateral knee surgery I called three times to check that I was covered for top cover. Yes everything was cleared until after my op and I started receiving all the gap payments - physio, clinilab, SKG etc etc. I was not informed of the preferred list of Physios etc that I could avail of during my hospital stay. As as a result, I am
out of pocket for quite a few invoices. On speaking to one of your consultants in Accounts - she was extremely rude and mentioned that I had claimed for my knee operation and the amount gap that I had to pay was insignificant! That is extremely great customer service! I am entitled to the op expenses as I deliberately took out TOP HOSPITAL COVER so I would be covered! I am extremely angry that she had to make this commence considering she is an employee of NIB and not directly paying me out of her account! I am definitely shopping around for other more customer friendly and ethical insurance companies!

Toowoomba

Insurance claim made

Worst hospital cover - cancel your policy and never sign up..

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

Had a septoplasty and had to pay $640 for the anaesthetist, and $1140 for the procedure. NIB paid $60.20 of the anethatist bill, and $120.80 of the procedure. That's 10% of the total fees. These people are robbers and I have been a member for 8 years and paid over $16000.00 in premiums to get $180.00 back?? Criminals don't waste your time. They tell me for the surgeon to put a medigap in place, surgeon tells me they have tried for 2 years but no one gets back to them. Surprise Surprise..

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melb

Terrible!!! Stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Terrible!!! Stay away. No one is listening, they make it awful to claim. Spent so many hours with useless "consultants" on the phone.

You want the extra's.... get ready for a long ride.

You want to claim personal trainer or gym? Good luck with that. (spent months and hours till we gave up).

Moved on to another company, claims are so easy, getting better with extras...

Worst Health Insurance Available

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

NIB pay surgeons / anaesthetists etc only a fraction above the medicare rebate, far less than all other insurers except for Latrobe, so your out of pocket costs are FAR higher. Change straight away to a proper insurance company!!

Wangi Wangi

• 2 answers
Private message

Cancel but not actioned. No refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2017

I signed up with NIB for less than a week. Then found a better deal and called NIB to cancel and get refund of first month premium which had already been charged to my credit card. I was told that would be cine and it would be processed. No crexit appeared so i called about week or so later to again be assured that the cover was cancelled and recund would be made.
So today I call again as no credit has appeared. Lovely customer service lady was very apologetic saying she could see record of previous calls but a new monthly debit would go to m
y card tonight.....for the policy that i cancelled 3 weeks ago.
She passed the message to the cancellation department and assured me they would call. But to date no call.
So they now have about 450 of my money for cover that does not exist.
Absolutely disgraceful i think.
Next stop is the Private health insurance ombudsman
In such a competitive market seems like NIB have little idea of customer service.
Good luck to anyone who signs with them

Insurance claim made

No point in having cover. Better off without it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

I paid extra for the most comprehensive policy. I went on a snowboarding trip and dislocated my shoulder. It was popped back in at the mountain's medical centre. I phoned NIB asking if I could go to the private centre down the bottom of the mountain for the shoulder x-rays, they said no, it had to be the public centre (as part of this would be coveted by ACC). The x rays were covered by ACC but the initial doctors visit was not ($200). They said they would not cover it because it was a 'mountain rescue'. When I told them it was simply the mount ain's hospital, it was not a rescue, they told me it didn't matter. When I asked whether if I needed surgery/CT scans etc that this would be covered they said no. When I asked them why, they said because it is under ACC. When I asked whether any excess over what ACC would pay for would be covered, they said no! Let's be honest, I'm 27 years old. They only things I am likely to be claiming for at this age are 'accidents'. If my health care happily let's ACC foot the bill but won't even cover the difference I am out of pocket, what is the point of insurance. I have paid for the initial mountain consult and numerous physio appointments even though my policy covered physio. They never paid me a cent. I cancelled my policy that day. Waste of money.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Very bad customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2017

I only joined NIB online for half an hour. I decided not to join. I immediate sent an email to NIB to cancel my joining. I even rang them up but their team was busy. I left a message to ask them to get someone to call me back. But I did not receive any call after 5 days. Now I received a message from my current health insurer saying that they are going to cancel my membership. I am very angry. Never ever think of joining NIB. Very bad customer service!!!!!!!!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Just switched from Medibank due to price increase

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2017

I've yet to actually claim on my cover.
I'm believing that the Medibank to nib transfer will go smoothly.
Staff in offices are a bit hit and miss with their knowledge and attitude

Balaclava, VIC

Private message

Cancelled but still direct debited account - I'd call that theft!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2017

The cancellation process was arduous, still took payment after we switched providers and apparently because it's 'their' busy period i had to wait on hold forever rather than allowing me to cancel through their online chat. Seems redundant to have it available if you can't actually do anything on chat. Poor customer experience.

1 of 24 pages

Hi I just want to ask that I got my NiB insurance for student visa form 01/04/2017 to 31/08/2020 and I did not get still my visa so I want to extend the dates Does any buddy know about the procedure of it kindly share please .??

Momi shah asked on Jul 22, 2017

Answer this

Hi Momi, we'd like to help. You can contact us via any of the channels listed on our Contact Us page and we'll be able to assist. Visit: https://www.nib.com.au/contact-us#contact-oshc Thanks, nib

Where on the NIB website can I cancel my policy. Or do I simply ask my bank to disallow the NIB direct debit?

Jonathan asked on Jul 09, 2017

Answer this

Hi Jonathan, we are sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving us. You can cancel your policy by contacting us on any of our channels as listed here: https://www.nib.com.au/about-us Thanks, nib

Hi, it's likely that I'll need ACL surgery. I'm with nib and have 'just extras' does this still mean I have private health if I opt to get surgery through private? And is a hospital on the agreement list?

Julie asked on Jun 30, 2017

Answer this

Hi Julie, we'd like to help. If you can contact us with your policyholder information we can take a look into this further for you. You can reach us via any of the methods listed on our Contact Us page: https://www.nib.com.au/about-us Thanks, nib

See all 23 questions about NIB Health Insurance