Coffs Harbour, New South Wales

• 2 comments
  • 10 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Great value, fast and stylish phone that won't break the bank

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2018

I bought this phone from an ebay reseller and managed to get it for less than $500. I spent many weeks researching as many phones as I could in the $400-$800 price range, and decided on the Nokia 8.

It is fast, it comes with no bloatware, it is currently updating to the lastest Android OS (Android 8 at this time), and it works really well. The screen is high rez, and looks superb. The camera is supposed to be a great unit, but I find that it is not so good in low light. I believe that it is more of a software issue, so hopefully Nokia will update the camera software in the future.

I came from an older smartphone, so I am used to getting 5 days to a week out of the battery with normal (light) use, but I do find that I need to charge this at least twice a week. Is the battery life poor? Hard to say. I'd say it is probably average for a modern smartphone.

In terms of value, I feel that the Nokia 8 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck smartphones at the moment. Sure, it is not a $1700 iPhone nor a high end Samsung or Google Pixel, but if you are looking for a phone that has a great screen, is fast, and has a decent camera that won't break the bank, you should put the Nokia 8 on your shortlist.

Purchased at: eBay

Kurri Kurri

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Great price for a great phone

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

Purchased this phone from Harvey during an AMEX promotion. The phone has a nice display and is very fast. No problems with updates and all tested software works fine with it. The camera is OK but not as good as the old NEXUS 5. In low light not a great peformer. For the price and the ability to insert a sdcard outweighs the negaitves of the camera.

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Does not last

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

I bought Nokia 8 in July 2018 and used it for 2 months before half of the display was totally dead.
I claimed the warranty for refund but was rejected by seller (Officeworks), I want to exchange was also rejected. They can only repair although I used it only less than 3 months.
They said it will takes 2-3 weeks.
Very disappointed and will not promote Nokia nor Officeworks.

• 1 review

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Perfect Android capable

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2018

Had the Phone 1 month now. Does all expected of it. Loaded compatible antivirus/vpn with ease.As previously mentioned Off Button is too close to Volume Button so you do hit this by mistake. In general overview this is quality phone however the supplied case is not effective against damage if the phone is dropped and lands face-down on a solid surface. I contest to this as I have just shattered the screen frm a drop height of two feet. I highly recommend a closing flip case.

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Nokia 8

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

Excellent phone with great features. The only problem with the design is that the off button is just below the volume button which you can accidentally push when decreasing the volume. Apps run smoothly and compared to the competition, the price is right. The features are comparable to phones much dearer so consider when buying a new high end mobile phone.

Adelaide, SA

• 3 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 25 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Excellent phone

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

With my 5 year old Nexus 4 really slowing down (today's apps and websites make increasing demands on our devices in terms of their processing power), it was time for a new phone. As per my usual modus operandi, I did lots and lots of research - I like to get the most bang for my buck. I'm not someone who changes their phone every 2 years, I prefer to buy a decently specced model, at a good price, and hold on to that for 4 to 5 years.

Eventually I settled on the Nokia 8 - last year's flagship, but boasting a very decent processor - the Snapdragon 835, and plenty of RAM - and less than half the price of current flagship phones. Another important point is a vanilla implementation of Android - no manufacturer bloatware for me thanks, and the promise of an upgrade to Android Pie. Having owned several Nokias in the early days of mobile phones, and used to their legendary build quality, I was hoping that this new range would be the same.

Thus far I have not been disappointed. In most respects the phone is performing flawlessly. The build quality is what you expect from the old Nokia phones. The display is crisp and bright, and the battery lasts over 2 days before needing a recharge. The fingerprint scanner works really well, and the phone is a nice size. The only negatives for me - and these are minor - is that the phone is quite slippery (due to the polished body), so you must have a cover for it, and the Nokia camera app has taken some getting used to, especially getting low-light photos right. I do enjoy the "bothie" mode - an interesting variation on a selfie.

Otherwise, one happy owner. Nokia is back!

Willetton

• 1 review

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Very satisfy about this phone!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

I have just upgraded from my old Samsung S5. After a few days research, I desided to buy this Nokia 8. I got it for $470 from office works by price matching with kogan. Com. Au. It's a very cheap price for a phone device with last yeat chipset snapdragons 835. It is very fast, nice screen display, very thin and good quality build.

Pro.
1. Very good quality and soild phone. I was considering to buy a Samsung S8 at the first time. But I saw so many people broke their phone screen and have to pay $300+ to fix it, I gave up. This phone has a extra layer of protection at the four edges, soild aluminium back cover makes me feel secure.

2. Very pure android system. It is it has no extra software, just the basic Google apps set. It updates to Android 8 when I first open it. Compare with my old Samsung Os experience, this one is much pure and worry free.

3. Nice display. I was a bit worried about the Lcd display at the first time but it actually a very nice screen, soft display with a very eye protected feeling. It has a narrow curved edging and feels comfortable when holding.

4. Nice selfie camera. It is quite surprising about the selfie camera, I do video calls a lot and this is a definitely a great plus point.

5. Fast system, great device storage, cheap price with a 2017 released phone. It also has a Retro Nokia name, let people feel confident. I was considering to buy a oneplus or xiaomi, but they are so young and don't have a lot service available in Australia.

Con.

1. Screen feels a bit big compare with Samsung S8. I am small female with small hands. this phone gives me a strong feeling of designing for male. It suits a person with bigger hands, don't care too much about the appearance of the phone.

2. The phone design. It is not fancy. It has a huge forehead and chin, not as fancy as Samsung or other new devices. however I was thinking it probably made for a quality reason, the big chin and aluminium body probabily makes the phone more stable, soild and cheap to manufacture. The phone has very limited colour choice as well.

Purchased at: Officeworks

Sydney

• 6 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Honestly this is a beast of a phone for the price.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

Snappy, beautiful 1440 res screen, bright, decent battery, android 1 with quick security updates, fingerprint reader. The only thing some people dont like is the slightly larger bezels than is popular these days. But it doesnt bother me, i need somewhere to put my fingers. Sub 500AUD for a flagship spec phone.

Brisbane

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Nokia convert

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

Prior to buying the Nokia 8, I've always had expensive top end brands (think Samsung, HTC) and have always questioned what exactly makes them worth $1200+. Comparing them to the Nokia 8, I honestly can't answer that question. This is a great phone for a very good price. It runs a clean Android, with no bloatware in site! It is very solidly built, screen is crisp, battery is great (1.5 - 2 days easy), and I've never had any lag or stuttering with my apps. My only complaint is that the camera is quite bad - low light photos are impossible - and the single speaker at the bottom of the phone isn't great. Even with these negatives, I'd still happily buy another Nokia with no hesitation.

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2018

A top end phone with no bloatware at 1/3rd of the price.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2018

If you are reading this you are asking the same question I was a week ago. So what makes one phone better than another? To me, it comes down to phone specifications (latest is better) against price. I believe the Nokia 8 is currently giving the best value for money as Nokia is playing catchup in the phone market and are wanting to win back market share. This is why the Nokia 8 got my money.

Uses Snapdragon 835 not 836 so this is second highest spec android processor at 1/3rd of the price. Unless you are doing benchmark tests I doubt many people would notice the difference. Similarly, 4GB ram is smaller than top of the range phones but again, unlikely to be fully used.

Uses stock Android, with promises of monthly upgrades, so always running the latest version. In addition no bloatware. This does make the phone something of an empty black box and most users will probably want to add their preferred apps. Still, this is a huge plus not having bloatware that is never used slowing down the system.

The two reasons above were what decided me on the phone, (plus Nokia's previous reputation).

More plusses are that it has an old-fashioned earphone jack and can add more storage.
Regarding design, the width is slightly too wide for my hand but the 5.3 cm screen is good for old eyes without having to resort to phablet sized monstrosities. It fits comfortably into my pocket. The polished solid curved aluminium body gives it a solid and luxurious, albeit slightly slippery, feel. Web videos demonstrate the durability of the casing, [and I'll leave the destructive testing to the web and accept their testing :-) ]
Battery life is 2 1/2 days and part of this is due to better heat management, the phone stays cold, unlike previous phones I have owned in the past.
The screen is crisp and sharp. Touchscreen is very responsive with no lag. Google assistant actually works.
Pictures in auto mode are a bit of a hit and miss, I suspect it just needs a better app.
Fingerprint reader works fine (on the home button).
Bluetooth 5 supported. USB 3 (micro c cable).
Dual sim (or expanded storage not both)

Negatives: It's splash proof, not waterproof. Glossy body attracts fingerprints

I also highly recommend supplier, 4 days from order via Hong Kong to Perth.

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Value for Monday Smart phone

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

Great smart phone and being an avid Android user this didn't take much to get used to. Great camera quality, fast switching between apps. I managed to get this phone for half the price of the most current smart phones.
Nokia have really done a great job at reviving their brand and look forward to trying other models in the future.

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Margaret River

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Great Phone

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2018

Was looking for a replacement for my current phone which finally packed it in today and saw that Nokia was back in the game. Harvey Norman store was selling them and had the last one in stock.

Stock Android OS is snappy without the bloatware unlike some other brands have. Android/security patch updates monthly are a big plus so you know the phone OS is always up to date.

• 1 answer
  • 17 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Wonderful affordable Android flagship

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 31, 2017

Had this for a month and can truly say the durability and specs of this phone is wonderful. Defintetly on par with high-end iPhones etc. Monthly android/security patch updates as promised (arrived this morning). Ergonomically so easy to hold without loosing grip. The back (if it's glossy blue like mine) can attract smudges though. To the rest of specs:

RAM/processor: phone load times and switching between apps is lightening fast. Touchscreen so responsive. Stock Android definitely helps. No lag at all (unexpected)! Games run very smoothly.

Screen: not as rich as AMOLED screens of Samsung etc. But can be really bright for excellent outdoor reading. Resolutions crystal clear enough.

GPS: superb even for accuracy-demanding tasks in CBD (e.g. Pokemon Go) where high buildings cause errors.

Battery: good enough with reasonable usage. If day involves heavy usage (e.g. constant video streaming and other activities) a loss of only about 56% to the fully charged phone results. Never need backup battery while out. The quick charging is not as good as the Motorola turbocharging. At 95% charging really slows down.

Back camera: not very consistent. Difficult to prevent blurs! Mono sensor better than the color sensor.
Front camera: suprisingly better
Dual sight function: quite good. #bothie functions fun!

Speakers/playback: calls qualities crystal clear. Front speakers loud enough but lacks bass. Playback via headphones is superb as sound is richer. Music with lot of bass sound really amazing.

Heating: copper pipe does help make phone keep the lid on temperature. Hottest I've experienced was 39°c during heavy usage (live chess gaming etc.) in outdoor hot weather.

Others: Glance screen feature really helpful. Fingerprint scanner fast and accurate enough.

Software: Android 8 Oreo is just excellent. It allows a lot of flexibility.

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Heroic Legend with Achilles Heel?

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Fantastic phone. Much anticipated return of Nokia. Sleek, snappy and smooth. Best phone I've owned. Only thing holding back five stars was breaking the fragile camera. So disappointing. Hope it's a quick fix, but quite an Achilles heel which brings down the otherwise invincible... Will update on replacement 'fix' when it happens.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes