• 1 helpful vote
Private message

I am close to suicide because of these people

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

I am under a financial management order with these people since 2005. Because I had some problems paying my rent, my life has been a living hell since. I am mentally competent, I have a high IQ. I am sick to death of being treated like a animal, of having to walk into shops getting a quote for everything. They refused me money to go to my father's funeral in mudgee. They made a claim for my fathers estate against their wishes. I can't handle this anymore. I am going to end up in front of a jury for murder. What can I do?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

• 7 helpful votes

Woeful and far from Professional

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

I received a 'Plan of Administration' from TAG. Whilst the covering letter of two pages is addressed to me, the 'Plan of Administration' was intended for someone else. It is my mother's estate which they are supposed to be administering however, the 'Plan of Administration' pays condolences to my lost 'Defacto' and refers to a proposed 'Plan of Administration' that does not align or reflect my late mother's will. However, this 'Plan of Administration' identifies my mother's estate.

As best as I can determine, TAG staff appear to conjure information and I can't begin to guess for what purpose this serves.

In regards to my mother's internment, the officer from TAG provided an assurance that it would be paid in August however the cemetery looking after her internment did not receive funds until November?

I have received four letters from TAG in one they promise a high level of professionalism. Instead, they pave litany of lies, underpinned by information that is offensive. They have lost a stat dec complete with certified identity and they do not follow up as they promise.

My experience with TAG is met with disgust, incompetence and lack of attention to detail. Considering these people are to be administering estates, I do not trust them; they are a shambles. I can not recommend this organisation as capable or apt in dealing with the sensitive matters it handles. I would highly recommend to all, not to have TAG execute a will.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

Taking years to finalise

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

Goodness me, it has taken so far 4 years and we are still waiting. They are so slow, do not answer correspondence, keep taking money out of the Estate for searches in the 4 years and still haven't been able to find people, it's amazing, I think if they didn't get paid until they finish we would see them moving a lot faster but having the right to just take costs out all the time and not be accountable isn't right. I wouldn't recommend them at all

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

Crooks, Liars, they are just White collar theives

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

Trying to get information from them is next to impossible, when you ring to speak to one person in particular they are away or unavailable, they never return phone calls and they lie. So what does a person do to get help if it's a government run company and everyone you ask for help is a lieing crook. What has our World come to, No wonder elderly abuse is rife because the one's that are supposed to help them don't because they are too busy trying to rob them.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 comments

Stay Clear

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2018

We have been with TAG for quite some time. They are in charge of our daughters estate since the age of 13 after a MV accident, Our daughter is now 38 yrs old.
It has never been easy all they are interested in is $$ they have no insight of the clients needs or their wants.
This is only one example, We put in a request for a security system for the house which was allocated in the budget. The last email received I received to follow up on the request I was told it was with the property division to make sure the client is not financially exploited. What a joke as when I send through emails advising them of charges of exploiting they do nothing about it as it has met TAG rules and regulations. TAG have their own rules and regulations and they are defiantly not about the client. You are always treated as someone that is going to take advantage of the one you are caring for. They make constant changes within the department at one time you had a manager now you send your inquire to a team then it goes to a manager. No wonder they want 15 working days to answer a request. These are true stories on this review site Stay clear of this government organisation.

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Read these review first before you even consider using NSW Trustee and Guardian.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2018

My mother (and myself) was falsely made to believe for years that the NSW Trustee and Guardian is a trust worthy Government Department and will take care of her and for her best interests. The worst mistake you can ever make.
She was forced to live in Nursing Home against her will. She was labeled as having dementia and whatever she says no longer mean anything according to their rules and they can do whatever they like. They will get away with lies and incompetence as they have been doing it for years and Tribunal will not question them or investigate about their lies only you.
If you or your love one think you can trust them, you will be a one very sorry victim of their false advertising .
I thought public servants don't lie as I had been one years ago. Perhaps job security is most important above all to these people.
Read all those reviews first very carefully as they are TRUE and came from people who had experienced dealing with them. I wish I did and I would have helped my mum to do a living will and all other legal documents for her self and never to trust them. There is no justice with them. All about keeping their job.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Western Sydney

Private message

Unlike Other Reviews, My Experience with NSW Public Guardian & NSW Trustee Was Positive

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

The NSW Public Guardian and NSW Trustee were appointed by NCAT to manage the affairs of an elderly friend. It would have been an unusual situation with this case, But I honestly found the department very understanding and the information provided was very helpful.

However I was surprised that they receive quite limited documents to commence a case file, which is probably why matters tend to take some time to process. Although they can often be difficult to access via telephone calls, in my experience, emails were always answered. When I have been successful with a phone call, I found them to very pleasant.

It was only through this situation that I learned that after a person is deceased, the file is closed by each of the appointed departments, as the file then becomes the responsibility of the Executor of the Will. The NSW Trustee were very understanding with the need to access an item for the funeral of the deceased, and fast tracked the process for the Executor to access the item given the urgent time frame.

In many cases, it may be more about the intense emotions that people are feeling about a particular matter or person under the appointment, that contributes to the frustrations.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 24 helpful votes

SLOW HAS A NEW DEFINITION

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

The trustee has their own office dictionary. Two words have been used by the trustee to convey a time frame to distribution of funds. We have to understand that the Trustee operates under a form of Cosmic Time. "Soon" - the time somewhere between now and the collision of the Andromeda Galaxy with our very own Milky Way. More recent 'Imminent' - the time between now and the expansion and contraction of our sun in converting to a red dwarf. In the days when a percentage of the estate was seized as a commission, the trustees building occupants moved with the speed of a thousand startled Gazelles. Now they move slightly slower than a team of Thunderbirds puppets. The slow down occurred around the time the Trustee shifted to monthly fees, purely coincidental of course. Our relative passed away in 2015, still waiting. An extra star because the officer we are dealing with is quite polite.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 question
  • 5 helpful votes

After Husband stole by fraud the Trustee awards him

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

NSW Trustee and Guardian Act 2009 section 16 (s) & (t), states that the Trustee is to protect estate and commence criminal actions regarding property.
12 months down the track still no action, going to Federal Circuit Court and Trustee agrees with husband's demands in a Consent Order and he manages to get another 60% of the estate.
Police don't investigate even though the NSW Tribunal found that mortgage fraud was committed, intimidation, abuse and threats were all documented with witnesses.
Federal Court Judge is unapproachable and he will most likely agree with the NSW Trustee.
Who says that crime doesn't pay!

sydney

• 1 question
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Extortion and appalling service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2018

If I could give minus stars I would. I have lost count of the staff members that the estate has been passed between. Ever time you ring it's "oh, that has just come on to my desk". It's 8 months after probate and we are still waiting for them to calculate their fees so we can have titles changed. If a solicitor handled it would have been over $10,000 cheaper and over 6 months quicker. Its a very simply estate but unfortunately they have no staff to process anything. Sadly my Great Aunt thought she was doing the family a favor by using this service, she would be horrified by what has happened.

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Useless and inefficient staff - don't waste your time with them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2018

If there was an option for half a star I would rate them as such and that is only because they finally answered the phone after a long wait and then I was greeted by a surly switchboard operator. They don't listen to you or ask questions and I am referring to the spelling of a person's name. Had they asked me how to spell my name correctly in the first place I would not have had to wait online while they used their interpretation of the spelling and therefore were unable to locate my details. Very relieved I have now changed who is in charge of my will as I would be very concerned for a family member having to endure dealing with them.

Kings Park

• 7 helpful votes

My mother’s estate

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

If I could give this government department less than one star, I would, preferably in the minus numbers.

Other than the death of my mother, having to deal with these people was absolutely the worst experience of my life. We had to deal with incompetence, lies and an attitude “ go away, this has nothing to do with you” for the whole time my mother’s estate was being dealt with by them. At one point , when I had a question I was told “we don’t deal with a third party”. The only way to deal with the first party in this case would have been a seance. I had to take out a loan to pay their exorbitant fees. A simple will with only a house as assets and 2 beneficiaries and no issues took these people almost 2 years to settle, just under the wire before we would have had to pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of the house. Which would have been paid, funnily enough also to the NSW government. The ombudsman’s office was no help.

If you have heard the “ we are here to help “ touchy freely advertising this department runs and are considering using their nonservice I would advise you to run a mile in the opposite direction . They are not there to help you or your beneficiaries, they are there to protect their own jobs and to raise money for the NSW government. My mother was taken in by their advertisements. She thought she was making a difficult time easier for us. A will made by a solicitor doesn’t cost much and will be dealt with much more expeditiously. Unless you hate your relatives.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Gosford

• 1 answer
  • 13 helpful votes

Slow and expensive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

A simple estate of 2 assets and less than $10000 h as been with tag 10 months and still 2 months minimum from finalising. It has taken 8 officers, 10 months to look at the estate and say "2 more months". The estimated fee is around $17000 for a simple estate.
Don't go near them unless you want your family to suffer delays and frustration over your estate.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

New South Wales

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 23 helpful votes
Private message

Don't do it - don't sign with the public trustee & guardian : incompetence and above market fees

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2018

Don't even think about signing over your estate, trust, Will, Power of Attorney or apply for Guardianship via this incompetent bunch of public servants that will end up taking your money via high fees, incompetence, power, and arrogance.

Did you know there is no Ombudsman in NSW that can investigate the Public Trustee & Guardian? There is no way of making a complaint against them, unless you have the money to take them to the Supreme Court of NSW.

Too many people in NSW have been duped by this Government mob - they won't act reasonably, they have incompetent staff and are on the 'gravy train' of public service. There is ZERO accountability and they will take your money via above market fees which are high, 5% of $100,000 - look at their website to review their fees which are much higher than CPI - they go up every 12 months. I would advise you to get some legal advice and hear what the Legal fraternity of NSW has to say about, first hand experience with this mob - it's quite negative and rightly so.

RUN FOR THE HILLS - Trust me, you would be better donating your money to a charity and having an agreement drafted or, sell your property and get the money into your account, before you even think of signing with this incompetent and very financially damaging Government department. They are not to be trusted as their values stipulate:

They are not the first choice trustee of people in NSW - what a lie? What evidence is there 'out there' to back up this claim??!!! Who said they were the first choice of 'Trustee' of people in NSW - READ THEIR ANNUAL REPORT ... MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND - DO SOME CRITICAL THINKING ... Trust me, you need to understand the power that this mob has. Find people in NSW that have had experience with them - listen to them, understand what they endured - loss of money and absolute incompetence and worst, arrogance, they turn pretty nasty when you start to question their decisions, which are not your decisions and never will be. They will not listen to your wishes because there is legislation in place to protect their procedures, you can't win against them once they are signed up and it will take MONEY in legal fees to get rid of them once you have signed up - Don't do it.

They don't work with your family - in fact, they will work against your wishes ... I've experienced it and I'm appalled in how I got treated - it's a common theme with thousands of families in NSW - Do your research - it's called due diligence - do not sign up with the nsw trustee & guardian - you will regret it and it will be very traumatic for years to come due to lost assets, income and poor investment strategies.

They will lose your money - mismanage it; sell property at a fire auction without any care of giving you the chance to present it how you would want it presented to market - they don't care and they won't listen to you nor listen to your wishes - trust me, this happened when I sold a property with them. I was able to stand up to them, because I got legal advice and I managed to get $70,000 more because I got a second appraisal that advised to go private treaty, not at Auction. Everyone knows, in a down market, selling property at Auction is fraught with danger and its pure moronic stupidity - savvy buyers know that Public Trustee & Guardian Auctions are 'a bargain' - why do they sell valuable properties at Auction - do you understand the Auction process - if you don't then you need to find out why agents sell at Auction - it is always in the Agents best interests, not the vendor - put a caveat on the property if you have to - Stand up to these fools as they don't care what price you get, as long as they meet their legal obligations which is to sell at 'market value' whatever that means - stand up to them and do what you have to do, to stop the sale from going ahead because they will steam roll you due to the Power they hold as a Government Department - their legal team is pretty vile to deal with - very aggressive and arrogant - but I managed to hold my ground and they turned really nasty and vexatious. The in house solicitor turned quite vile - he swore at me and I managed to show him up - he didn't like it but I won! And you can to, just do whatever you can to beat them, move in, get it tenanted, change the locks, apply for a caveat and get a number appraisals done to refute their first choice of agent - all real estate agents know what it's like to deal with the Public Trustee when selling property - they don't have to work hard and they will get their commission - they don't care what price your property sells for - savvy buyers always look out for Public Trustee & Guardian property Auctions - you will get a bargain. There won't be any 'Price of Application' selling method with this mob - are you kidding?

Values - they have none except to drain your estate in high fees in order to raise revenue for the Government - run in the opposite direction ... You will regret it - it would be like signing your life to a used car salesman but worse because of the power they hold - Lay people don't realise what these people are capable of doing, talk to someone that has dealt with them - it won't be favourable.

Do not sign up with this mob - find a solicitor in NSW instead, it will be a better use of money as solicitors have much more regulation as Officers of the Court - they can get in trouble and lose their practicing certificate - and are accountable but the NSW Trustee & Guardian are untouchable - make sure you do your research - Stay well away from them - do not go to their workshops or office - stay well away!

Do not trust what they say but speak , find people who have had experience with them, this is your evidence of just how awful and financially damaging they are - they will take your money.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

This Company needs to be shut down

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

They will feel you how difficult it is to manage an elderly person,so let us take the pressure off you and your family. Thats how they suck you in, however they have caused more grief for the family since taking charge. They put my mother in a nursing home against her will she was there for a year as they would not allow me to look after her, I asked a trusted friend of mine who has done aged care nursing if she could care for her mum as a live in carer that was in 2014. She managed to get my mum home, however after 3mths she had to leave and look after her own mother, so they arranged home care. In 2017 she was placed back into a nursing home again and they sold her home of 50yrs without her consent,which caused her to have a heart attack. My friend has now taken up the position of caring for her again, this time she has assets and the financial management are rude incompetent and will not release her money for her to buy another home. Don't be fooled they have no compassion towards the elderly or their family's and there just after their money. They ruled her out as having dementia, however the next test she had made an improvement.When questioned about this as we all know you don't improve from dementia, they then said she had alcohol brain damage.Really! We will be taking them to the media as they need to be exposed, so other people wont fall into their trapp. If your with them get out now before its too late. Appoint a power of attorney with a solicitor and not with them, have nothing to do with them.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 3 questions
  • 15 helpful votes

Avoid if you can

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

I made an appointment to create a new will at one of their Outreach centres.
We arrived before time, but it appears some one else went before us. This wasn't verified by the officers.
So of course when our turn came, they were running behind schedule. We were now the last appointment for the day and were rushed through it. Many of our questions went unanswered.
They were supposed to ring us the very next day with answers, but the call never came. Eventually I rang after 4 days and still no answers. I was just told that a rough draft will be mailed out to me next week and I should check that.
After one week, no draft ! So rang again.... But this time, I just asked for a refund.
And thats when it went from bad to worse.
I'd say, avoid them at all costs to create a will or PoA. Talk to a solicitor, lawyer. There are plenty to specialise in Wills. I spoke to one over the phone later on, and he seemed so much informative over the phone on what we had to bring to the interview. As compared to the NSW TAG officer, who only responded to our questions. She didn't offer any information to someone who is creating a Will for first time.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

They just don't like to pay

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2018

Nearly 2 years after my Grandmother has passed away and still not anywhere near ready to settle anything.
Apparently issues just keep coming up and once they fix that (after months on end) a new one mysteriously arises.
You would have thought everything would have been looked into all at once... and that's if these issues even existed to start with which I highly doubt!
I just think it's disgraceful that they continue to drag something as sensitive as this out while family members can't have any closer after the passing of their family members.
Disgusting department and I highly reccomend people use someone else.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

Private message

This should be called Public crappy

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2018

My grandmother put the money in the public trustee 36 years ago for 4 of her grandsons after my father died (my father not allowed to touch the money but he can withdrawal the interest yearly).
Unfortunately, my farther has passed away in May last year. And the public trustee trying to dragging out the time, they made up story about my father adopted a child before (that is a lie because we asked them for the evidence and they can not show us. Then lately they said there is no adopted child as far as they know!?!?!?)
now they asked us to keep waiting for them to check with the legal team (after we waiting for the manager to get back on her leave, waiting for them to check this, check that and after a whole year, they have done nothing but lie to us and stuffing us around).
Now we are renting, we waiting for the money so we can buy a house but we don’t know how long we have to to waited for!
I'm going to talk to social media, 7 news or something like that because I believe there are too many similar victims of the public trustee need to raise their voice too
I already contact the Ombudsman and waiting for them to get back to us.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

A Very Deceitful Department. NOT to be trusted.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2018

My Grandfather had his will with Public Trustee, Now Trustee Guardian. The Will was finalised in about 4-5 mths. I was told story after story and after many Phone calls they kept putting me off with many crap stories about people on leave, File gone to another department. Finally after about 18mths I had to contact General Manager. Received my inheritance just short of 2yrs. In the mean time I lost my job and House. This money could have saved me. They just hold onto the money for as long as they can, to get the interest, without any concern for the Family members. Now, for a 2nd time, Dealing with them about another matter, they are still doing the same thing. A disgraceful Department to deal with and will only cause many problems for your family after you're gone.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes

NSW Trustee & Guardian - Criminals

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2018

Hi Everyone
Like to discuss this issue with as many people as possible.
This department needs to be held to account.
My Father has dementia and is living in a nursing home. He would throw himself under a bus it he knew the Government had taken control of his assets.
My Parents were farmers working 7 days a week their entire life only for the Government to seize their assets because of the $ value.
Looking at taking my matter to the high court, need like minded people to build a case of incompetence against the NSW Trustee & Guardian.
The NSW Trustee & Guardian claim to be working in my Fathers best interests but have defaulted on 2 of my Fathers Credit Cards which has seen his credit rating fall from over 950 to 1.
They also blocked a sales of one of my Fathers properties which I had negotiated a sales contract for which would have paid off all his debts and paid for his placement in a nursing home together with his ongoing care.
I have always acted in my Fathers best interest and have nothing to hide.

Ray Wilson

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 3 pages

Public Trustee is taking matter to Federal Circuit Court under the family Act. I assume that I am not a party to the proceedings and the Judge is to rubber stamp a Consent Order that we disagree with. How can I approach the Judge and supply him with background information (the Trustee is deliberately ignoring) so that a fair decision can be arrived at?

John M asked on Sep 20, 2018

Answer this

The Public Trustee is a vile and not fit for purpose organisation. You can try to be added as a party to the proceedings and try and get a Stay of the Consent Order. You really need to engage a solicitor to do this because he/she will have more clout than you in that the Public Trustee can be forced to comply with legal procedures whereas they will try and intimidate or, as they have already done, ignore you. If you are in Newcastle Catherine Henry Lawyers are excellent and know about this draconian trustee regime or if you are in Sydney, try Esplins Lawyers. Lawyers are not
cheap but in order to get some form of justice you have no choice to engage them. Otherwise try a company called Law Path that do things on line.
As a last resort, because they usually do not or cannot help, try the Community Justice Centres - the one in Darlinghurst, Sydney seems to be OK.
God luck

I own my home as tenant in common with my wife 50 percent share each. NSW Trustee & Guardian have a management order on me which states that 1. My estate is subject to management under the NSW Trustee and Guardian Act 2009 and 2. The management of my estate is committed to the NSW Trustee and Guardian, my question is when they refer to my estate does that mean the 50 percent or the whole home including my wife's share which subsequently is managed by private financial managers (2 of my children) appointed by TAG?

HADENUF asked on Dec 30, 2017

Answer this

Get rid of the Trustee’s , can not be trusted.

I have had my funds managed by the public trustee for a number of years now, because of a diagnosed mental illness. I am very dissatisfied with their service. I was placed under them through a court order. I am well now. My question is: how do you get out of their guardianship?

bremmanuel asked on Sep 02, 2017

Answer this

You can go to NCAT and have a review done of what they have done / not done for you.

Try lodging form for removing the financial order in place and then lodge it with the, Guardianship Tribunal. Would also suggest a positive Dr. Report be completed to further add weight to your case to have the financial control by trustee and guardian voided, removed..

See all 8 questions about NSW Trustee & Guardian