Labrador, Queensland

Unresponsive, unavailable and I'm Unimpressed

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2018

Initially I was all for a financial management plan in the hands of NSW Public Trustee and Guardian, actively supporting the submission. Some three months down the track, I'm Cher, wishing I could turn back time. I've been told that my expectations are too high and not to anticipate having someone return my call within the day. Unfortunately, my expectations are evidently also too high anticipating a return phone call within a week, or a fortnight as is the case. Similarly, emails have remained unanswered, and given my experience, I anticipate they will remain unanswered. I have been issued information by the Public Trustee that I've later found to be incomplete, misleading, inaccurate and erroneous and acting upon it has caused financial injury to another elderly person. Although I have drawn their attention to this and lodged an official complaint, I am yet to recieve response, action or rectification. Decisions have been made without consultation with another party who is not subject to financial management order, whose affairs are not handled by the Public Trustee and the Public Trustee will not release any information about those decisions to date. There seems to be little accountability or transperency. Unwilling to let things get too much further I'm now seeking legal advice and assistance. With my experience to date in mind, I couldn't, in all good conscience, recommend NSW TAG to anyone. Quite the opposite. Go elsewhere. A solicitor will be worth the price.

Dysfunctional

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2018

I have a letter from the Secretary of Attorney General confirming that this department is dysfunctional. NSWTG continue to email forms for a 71 year person as though he is a child. They provide appeasement money of $1,000 to ensure that it can't be said that my brother has not received any funds from his Medical Negligence Settlement. Please everyone go to your local Member of Parliament, this is a state Government issue, I have gone to mine and he is helping me but he cannot do it on his own. Apply pressure. Consider class action against NSWTG. Surely there is a way we can band together and have something done.

Wollongong

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Deceased Estate- No closure over 2.5 yrs later..

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

As stated in the title of this review.. no closure. Solicitor appointed to move matter along or to sue the trustee. I had to do a lot of the work for the PT by gathering the information needed by them to move things along & still they at a stand still. The PT will drag the matter out to siphon fund from the estate in different fees. Avoid at all cost!! Biggest headache & totally useless!! I cannot see how they justify their fees. Property not sold 2.5 yrs later... money taken out of accounts fraudulently by other family members in the mean time & trustee not lifting a finger! Terrible useless service that is paid for dragging matters out & to only line their own pockets. They do not even do the work they are required to do but ask you to & still you will have problems. Do not use.. EVER! Appoint a solicitor or someone else that is trusted but avoid the Public Trustee.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

Total incompetence!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Won't even go into the number of times over the nearly 3 years my brother and I have been dealing with this crowd. Suffice to say, unanswered emails, telephone conversations (we'll get back to you and never ever do!) Finally told that all the payment to us from half our Uncle's Estate had been 'approved' and had gone to their Account Dept on 12th January. Numerous phone calls, emails as to when payment coming and have had staff say they can't understand what is holding it up (yes, we'll get back to you!) It is nearly 3 months later! So am writing to Ombudsman, Trustee's complaints department (they must be busy!) anyone who will listen! And will start from next Monday to phone every day! Please if you are thinking of appointing someone to look after an estate - contact a good local solicitor who will have some interest in looking after your Estate. DON'T whatever you do, appoint these people!

• 14 helpful votes

Criminally incompetent - Took all the assets and walked away

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2018

My recently deceased father asked us to appoint T&G for my mother.
They very quickly pulled all the money out of all bank accounts, took the house and all belongings - and then walked away - 5 months later they have not paid any bills (inc her aged care home).
Massive late penalties are building up and the money that should have easily lasted my mother 10 years will now unlikely last more than a couple of years due to their gross mismanagement and neglect.

I am looking to take legal action against them.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Conjola Park

• 6 helpful votes

Never trust anything the Public Trustee tells you

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

My step-father died in 2015 without a Will. I took his papers, proof that I was his only relative after my mother had died in 2002 and photos of me with him when I was a child. I was told that I was elegible but would have to wait until the PT did their searches. After many phone calls over the next 6 months where I found that there was a different person every time, handling "my case", I was told in no uncertain terms that as a step child I was not elegible to any inheritance and the PT would keep the lot! I then went to a solicitor who told me that this was nonsense and proceeded to correspond with the PT. I was asked to provide an affidavit which I did and this was sent to the PT. It took threats to take them to Court before they finally took action on my behalf
Three and a half years after the death of my stepfather, the PT finalized his money but with their costs and the costs of the solicitor, over 60% of the money left in my stepfather's bank and superfund was lost.
I was left with the distinct feeling that the PT was deliberatly trying to keep any money they could. If I had not been in a position to pay for a solicitor, the money would have been kept and that would have been the end of it as far as I was concerned. There must to 1000s of cases where people where not able to use legal help and who's righful money was robbed from them, THERE SHOULD BE A JUDICIAL INQUIRY INTO THIS DEPARTMENT AND HOW IT IS RUN!

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Australia

Private message

Incompetent and inefficient - royal commission needed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2018

TAG were appointed to manage the financial affairs of my grandfather and to be his guardian because the family weren't getting on. Took them months to acknowledge their role and assess his financial situation. Their 'assessment' was pathetic - one paragraph that might have been written by a twelve year old. They got a real estate agent to do a paper valuation of the house based on its location and a drive by looksie, because TAG didn't bother getting the keys from the relative that held them. TAG never stepped foot in his house to see if he had any personal property of value. TAG asserted that they had no powers over his personal property (demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of their role and powers as set out in their empowering legislation) and attempted to delegate this off to a relative. When questioned about this, they didn't respond. When the question was escalated to a supervisor, they again failed to respond. Customer service is non-existent. The case workers won't take calls. You can only ever get through to low level staff in their call centre who frankly have no idea what they're talking about.
They charge on a daily basis, even if they do nothing. This creates an incentive to be inefficient and inept because they'll be paid regardless. Their fees are outrageous for the services they provide - basically you've got uneducated base grade clerks making serious decisions without any understanding of the legal framework or principles of administrative law.
As guardians they did absolutely nothing proactively except send an acknowledgement of their appointment. From therein, complete silence until my grandfather was in hospital and end of life decisions had to be made. Basically, TAG delegated this off to the doctors to decide, supposedly in consultation with the next of kin.
We assumed that TAG would act independently, without fear or favour, but they were a complete waste of time and money. Never again.
I completely agree that there should be a royal commission into this office.

Verified Purchase

Disgraceful and Incontiable - Do not use

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2018

I was placed in charge of dealing with the Trustee and Guardian on behalf of my uncle was placed in the "care" of this mob after he lost mental capacity. The following is my personal experience in dealing directly with the NSW Trustee and Guardian.

In the space of 5 years they stripped him of all his assets. Refused to provide an account of where his money was being spent until I threatened to complain to the NSW Ombudsman.
When I was finally provided with the accounts there was hundreds of thousands of dollars missing which they are now "investigating".
Once appointed you will be expected to sit down and shut up whilst they surgically and strategically strip your loved one of all their assets.

Hobbys Yards

• 2 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Royal Commission

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2018

There needs to be a Royal Comlsson conducted in the way they handle their clients. People in the country cannot wait 6 weeks or more for help. No public transport here to catch.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

This is an ongoing saga now. Had no transport now since November 2017. Had a review done on their decision and the person responsible for the review didn't even have the decency to answer all quest... read more »

FINALLY it's over NCAT has ruled and revoked order. Trustee and Guardian no longer will have control and good riddance to this mob. Yes Mr Turnbull this department must and needs a royal commissio... read more »

bateau bay

Attrocious Management

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

My mother was placed in a nursing home when she became old.
Even though she was able to raise the funds to
cover her nursing home bond and had no other debts , T&G went and sold her home despite her very strong objections to the sale.
The property was sold for a bargain basement price and she got less from the sale than what she had actually paid for it when purchasing it. T&G placed the money from the sale in cash deposits earning 2% P.A where as if her property had been rented out as instructed her income would have been 5% P.A .
If that wasn't enough her property is now worth over 65% more than what T&G went and sold it for.
My mother was not allowed to keep any of her personal possessions that were in her home and she was never paid anything for her household appliances and everything else that she owned of value that was on her property

SYDNEY / MUDGEE

Private message

Bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2017

We are a group of private manager who have fought the threats to us for t&g over the insurance they attempted to impose on managed persons estates. They acted without any legal powers and made threats against me and my brother without legal basis. I advise any one thinking of allowing this mob of incompetence thug not to! They act as they wish and against the best interest of their clients! Read it on their own site the groveling letter sent out to those they attempted to intimidate and did with some into paying monies not required by law.....We fought them and won but it only through happenstance that we where brought together after fighting for a year by ones selves against the weight of the state !

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

I depend on them for basic things.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

I wouldn't wish this horrible service on anyone. They are always late on my rent and bills that I have setup for them to automatically pay for. I've lost two jobs due to not being able to pay for my vehicles basic needs.

Private message

Void of understanding no sense of humanity

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

After having my Alcoholic mother (who has alcohol induced brain injury) placed under financial guardianship at my request, I was then denied position of person responsible. They put in place my mothers neighbour who did nothing for 12 months, after which I was appointed.
The so call 'Pod' of people dealing with my mum's interests has changed more times than I can count. They are awful to deal with, many times saying they 'don't have time' to help resolve what I think are small issues. The people on the phone are rude and dismissive. I would consider them an absolute last resort.

Awful treatment of family members, I have been told numerous times my mother must only be under them because of family conflict which is simply not the case in this matter.

Awful, rude and lacking empathy.
Disgusting.

Kiama

• 11 helpful votes

Incompetant- revenue raising

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2017

My Father passed away 13 months ago and we are still wating for his estate to be settled!
During this time I have rung them regularly to check on the progress. All I get is that they are under staffed and half the time staff I have been talking to are off on sick leave.
They rarely return phone calls, are evasisve and will not give or do not seem to know what is going to happen next in the process!!
My parents appointed the NSW T&G thinking they were doing the best for their children. They would be disgusted if they knew the level of service that we are being provided.
IF anyone has appointed the T&G as the execitor of your estate change it before it is too late.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 helpful votes

Dishonest & Underhanded

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

Extremely difficult to deal with do not want to put anything in writing want it verbally so no record of dealings once they are in charge that's it goodbye to everything

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Untouchable scumbags

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2017

[name removed] have so called been managing my mums estate and money for 15 months now. Her house is just sitting rotting away her car will be worth nothing now and many other despicable things in this time have occurred. I have complained to the ombudsman who made them write an apology letter. They seem to be another gov det that is untouchable and answerable to no one. My mum was treated like a princess when my dad was alive now these scumbags treat her like worthless trash all with HER money WHY? Are they not looked into by an outside body???

Sydney

• 11 helpful votes

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

My daughter elected to have her financial matters dealt with by TAG as she came down with a mental illness.

It has became clear this Government department is only interested in capturing as much money as it can preying on defenceless people. For example, for a start the interest is a paltry 2%. 3 times in the last year my daughter was fined by her phone company $10 a month for accounts that were at least 2 months overdue and service cut off because of it. TAG was supposed to pay this and other accounts. HOW is that looking after a disabled person's money let alone their welfare?

The internet was cut off because they they couldn't even put the correct Customer Reference in the appropriate field. Several stressful phone calls to TAG and internet company were of no use. When I tried to reason with "The Protective Office" ... what a (misnomer) I was told "I don't like the tone of your voice" they then hung up on me leaving it unresolved. I spoke to 2 different people they were EXTREMELY rude. My daughter spoke to TAG about this matter at least 5 times. They promised to ring the internet company which the internet company said they never did. No thanks to TAG we sorted it out because we provided the IN company with dates and amounts of payments TAG said they had made. The IN company brought up payment dates and amounts and I was able to prove it was my daughter's account. Previously car registration etc has been overdue.

I wrote a long letter of complaint of these and various other matters to TAG and of course no response. My daughter wrote a separate letter complaining about the reprehensible rudeness and lack of care. It became clear the Government department had a protocol in place to protect the employees from anyone that has the temerity to question what they are doing and ask for an explanation. Forget about the hapless "clients"

The amount of time and stress that goes into sorting out their horrible inefficiency and rudeness defies belief. When I said I was preparing a document for the Ombudsman she said Oh yeah that's OK

I am now organizing to have her affairs handled by myself and someone else I trust (as I don't trust the Trustee) so that when I die at least she will be looked after. I have a huge amount of money that needs to be managed for my daughter and grandchildren's benefit when I go, and the Government won't be getting their hands on it after what I have witnessed.

I feel so horrible for the poor souls who have no one out there fighting for them. The reviews below are exactly what I expect from this disgraceful Government agency. They really don't care. They just want the money in Government coffers.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

The worst and most terrible I ever had in Australia

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

Very very very bad terrible service, corruption, hierarchy, and never help their customers! I had enough. I emailed and called them and they never reply. And staff are not friendly at all.

Private message

Corruption at the highest level

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

They claim to protect vulnerable disabled persons.. they prey on them and look for dis-functional families as candidates with conflict to obtain all to feed their need for greed.. yet they get paid to feed the "system" lying murdering volchurors.
How can a total stranger be appointed in the best Interests of anyone .. I rest my case.. paramount consideration for their own back pocket!!

Disgusted

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2016

Would not recommend to anyone I've been fighting with them for the last 8 years for money to be released they refuse saying I have to be tested and each time I ask where is states I have to be tested they back track and wanna argue about it. Service is very poor. You ask to speak to manger and get they are busy you have to write a letter to speak to the manger sorry but nsw public trustee and guardian are a joke.

2 of 3 pages

Public Trustee is taking matter to Federal Circuit Court under the family Act. I assume that I am not a party to the proceedings and the Judge is to rubber stamp a Consent Order that we disagree with. How can I approach the Judge and supply him with background information (the Trustee is deliberately ignoring) so that a fair decision can be arrived at?

John M asked on Sep 20, 2018

Answer this

The Public Trustee is a vile and not fit for purpose organisation. You can try to be added as a party to the proceedings and try and get a Stay of the Consent Order. You really need to engage a solicitor to do this because he/she will have more clout than you in that the Public Trustee can be forced to comply with legal procedures whereas they will try and intimidate or, as they have already done, ignore you. If you are in Newcastle Catherine Henry Lawyers are excellent and know about this draconian trustee regime or if you are in Sydney, try Esplins Lawyers. Lawyers are not
cheap but in order to get some form of justice you have no choice to engage them. Otherwise try a company called Law Path that do things on line.
As a last resort, because they usually do not or cannot help, try the Community Justice Centres - the one in Darlinghurst, Sydney seems to be OK.
God luck

I own my home as tenant in common with my wife 50 percent share each. NSW Trustee & Guardian have a management order on me which states that 1. My estate is subject to management under the NSW Trustee and Guardian Act 2009 and 2. The management of my estate is committed to the NSW Trustee and Guardian, my question is when they refer to my estate does that mean the 50 percent or the whole home including my wife's share which subsequently is managed by private financial managers (2 of my children) appointed by TAG?

HADENUF asked on Dec 30, 2017

Answer this

Get rid of the Trustee’s , can not be trusted.

I have had my funds managed by the public trustee for a number of years now, because of a diagnosed mental illness. I am very dissatisfied with their service. I was placed under them through a court order. I am well now. My question is: how do you get out of their guardianship?

bremmanuel asked on Sep 02, 2017

Answer this

You can go to NCAT and have a review done of what they have done / not done for you.

Try lodging form for removing the financial order in place and then lodge it with the, Guardianship Tribunal. Would also suggest a positive Dr. Report be completed to further add weight to your case to have the financial control by trustee and guardian voided, removed..

See all 8 questions about NSW Trustee & Guardian