Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Terrible Qaulity - Now Where?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

Heard glowing reviews regarding this product and at $100 thought why not, even if it only lasts 3 of so years. Didn't last 3 months. Suction action become intermittent which went mostly unnoticed until propped failure. Spent many hours checking and re-checking, pump, hoses, PVC fittings and everything else associated for cracks and leaks to no avail.

Finally decided to disassemble the Pentair Hammerhead and found a number of splits in the rubber suction bellows. After 3 months this is just terrible, awful qaulity. What's more having just returned to the seller "ALDI" I am now stuck with it as they've been told me they have no responsibility after 60 days.... I'm on my own!!

Avoid ALDI for a start and beware of cheap imatations. Hoping chasing a replacement will be easier than having to deal with the outlet where it was purchased.

Purchased at: ALDI

Melbourne

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

You'll not regret it

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2018

Without doubt the best pool cleaner I've had - Just goes about the job of doing was it was purchased for. Despite leaves, seeds etc it goes about the task with no issues at all - So simple its hard to believe and really makes the old Zodiac G4 totally antiquated ( and super expensive in parts as well )

Read the reviews and agree with others its the best cleaner out there

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Avoid - poor service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

I bought one of these around 5 months ago based on the strong reviews on this site, but have been disappointed. It initially worked well but after about 3-4 months, I looked out at my pool and noticed the pool cleaner was on its side. I straightened it back up again, and a few minutes later, it was on its side again. Nothing in my pool had changed - it did this completely out of the blue. I contacted Onga/Pentair about this and they said it must be an issue with the weights, but the weights never changed. This has been going on for around 4-6 weeks now and I find myself constantly having to straighten the hammerhead to make sure it cleans my pool. Now the sides of the hammerhead are scraped and i have been told i need to buy a new body for it. If nothing has changed in my pool, I would have thought this is a product issue. Needless to say, am very disappointed as i bought this product based on the reputation of the company and the good reviews and now they are telling me i need to buy a new body for it (which is not going to happen by they way). Should this not be covered by the warranty? Disappointing!!!

• 9 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Onga Hammerhead

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

Best Pool Cleaner I every had. Love the fact that it is almost silent the most about this cleaner and it has lasted many years. I couldn't find the receipt to verify how long I had it but I am guessing at least 5 years. It is now time for another one and I get the same again. The hose is starting to develop holes at the joints and elsewhere and the base is also worn quite a bit from years of crawling on the pool surface.

• 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Go for the Rebal cleaner instead

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

Returned to pool shop and updated to the Rebal model.
They told me that the Hammerhead is a cheap cleaner for the online shops. Rebal is the best cleaner I have had. Doesn't get stuck and covers the entire pool. The hammerhead kept getting stuck and jammed. Looked cheap and Chinese.

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Pentair (Onga) Hammerhead Pool Cleaner - is fabulous!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2018

Bought this Onga (Pentair) Hammerhead Pool Cleaner from Pool & Spa direct as was cheapest and reviews I had read were quite good.
On delivery and assembly I was initially concerned about this pool cleaner as it seemed very light weight and nothing to it? Assembly must taken about 5 minutes and then threw in pool and turned ON pump - was all too easy.
Been in pool running for about 7 weeks now and love it! It did take about a week to settle though (learning the pool shape etc.) an was playing with supplied weights etc. but in the end did not need any weights at all.
So now it never gets stuck like my old Barracuda G2 and have not had any other problems.
It cleans the pool well, so overall I am happy and would highly recommend this pool cleaner.
PS. I did not purchase the 'ring' and it works fine without it in my pool.

Sydney

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Best Pool Cleaner I Have Owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2018

Have owned the hammerhead for a couple of years now and it has been by far the best pool cleaner to date. Unlike some other more expensive cleaners we have previously owned, there are minimal moving parts, which means there is very little that can break. We have a slightly curved fiberglass pool and the hammerhead gets around it without problem ( the only exception being the set of steps). It was one of the more budget cleaners when I bought it, but it does exactly what it's meant to, so is very good value. Our pool is approx 8.5m by 3.5m.

Sydney

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Outstanding performance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2017

After owning a full robotic cleaner with not great results we bought a hammerhead
It cleans all the walls and most the stairs
It’s able to pick up gum leaves and nuts
We have loads of very large trees around our pool and nothing has stopped it yet.
It hasn’t got stuck or stopped.
I was a little bit sceptical buy a lower cost cleaner and I am so glad we did.
I can’t recommend this cleaner enough it’s fantastic in all ways and the best price @ $295

• 2 comments

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Really Enjoying the Hammerhead

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

I bought this product in late June 2017 and it has worked really well. I used to have a Zodiac but it stopped with any size nut. That has not been the case with this and I have waited a few months since buying to see how it has handled lots of leaves. It's done really well and only occasionally have had to clear the head because a branch has fallen in but it still goes. I'm really happy with this product.

Brisbane

• 5 answers

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Doesn't compete with similar products

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

I bought a hammerhead around a year ago due to the previous cleaner going through a number of diaphrams. Based on reviews here I gave it a go and worked perfect - for 3 months. After that, I experienced the same as others have reported. Doesn't matter what the leaf size, leaves gets stuck in the hammer mechanism and it stops. Easily fixed, just pull the head unit up, remove stuck leaf, then drop back down and it gets stuck on a leaf a minute later.

After a while I emailed Onga support asking what I might be doing wrong. The response was simply it is designed to clean, not suck up debris.

I removed it from the pool last week and have replaced with a 2 wheel turbine cleaner which appears to work wonders. Unfortunately the hammerhead cannot do what the majority of people would expect - clean small debris. Lesson learnt.

Perth

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Works perfectly in silence

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2017

Replaced our old Kreepy Krauly with a Hammerhead (concrete pool) 3 weeks ago. Works perfectly straight out of the box. Just had to set the suction pressure with the supplied device. Didn't need to add hose weights or make any other adjustments. The first thing I noticed is no more jack hammer noice, just silence. This alone was worth changing from the Kreepy. But also the Kreepy used to get stuck in the corner at the steps several times a day and choke on long leaves and nuts from the palm trees. Not had either of those problems with the Hammerhead, not even once.
Very happy!

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments

A follow up from my previous review: I noticed that if there is too much suction then it starts to make some noise, but still much quieter than the old Kreepy. However it is silent when the suctio... read more »

Bunya

Date Purchased: Sep 2010

Much better than a crawly

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2017

I live in a treed area nd used to own a krawly one. After dozens of diaghrams and continually having to remove stick and large leaves the got stiuck i bought this one. In 7 years it has not missed a beat. About to replace the skirt for the first time It eats leaves sticks and anything else that falls into the pool. Great low maint cleaner

Date Purchased: May 2014

Reliable and effective

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

We have used our Hammerhead for 3 years and it has been reliable and done a great job of cleaning the pool. We will be replacing it shortly because after three years of constantly being in the pool the plastic has started to break down. We replaced the skirt twice in three years with genuine parts and the replacement skirts didn't last very long. That would be my only complaint.

Purchased at: eBay

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Hammerhead. A very good pool cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2017

Purchased this as read good reviews. Didn't want to spend a lot of money on robotic pool cleaners or pool cleaners with a lot of moving parts. Settled on this simple and well priced pool cleaner. Previously owned 2 Kleeva Kleena and was not happy with gradual deterioration of the cleaner and cost of spare parts. Even when refurbished, it did not perform well. I was after a simple pool cleaner, one I could just leave in the pool, low maintenance, durable and cheap to maintain.

So far I have had the Hammerhead for 3 weeks and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure that it will have it's issues but so does other cleaners but value for money, I think it's spot on. It moves pretty quick too. Love the one moving part and reasonably priced replacement parts. It was easy to install and to adjust the flow. I have a frangipani tree next to the pool. It has managed to suck up the large leaves without problems. Other cleaners I looked at had small vacuum mouths which I consider would clog up very quickly with large leaves.

It doesn't look fancy but does the job nicely for a fraction of the price of other cleaners on the market.

Highly recommended cleaner.

Update: June 2018
This pool cleaner just keeps going on. There has been no breakdowns and it remains in the pool 24/7 and has been in there since I purchased it. I was doing significant renovations and there was a lot of building debris that went into the pool. Didn't stop the pool cleaner.

gold coast

Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Same as the rest

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2017

All of these pool cleaners that have an opening that opens and closes are the same. Leaves get halfway through the opening then the cleaner stops & you have to unclog it. If you have to buy one of this type, buy the cheapest cause you get nothing more for spending more.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Best I have ever owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2017

When I moved into my new house the pool cleaner I inherited was a Barracuda. It constantly got caught in the corners and wouldn't clean the walls of the pool. I ditched the Barracuda and bough two different Aldi models over the next two years. They were a complete waste of money. Bits fell off, they wore away from scraping on the pool walls and just didn't do the job. Then I did some research on the internet and decided to give the Onga Hammered a go relying on the five star ratings that constantly came up. I Couldn’t be more satisfied with the results. The Onga is quiet, it cleans all of the walls, doesn't get stuck, is completely random and has me marvelling at my sparkling clean pool. For the money you can't go past this great little sucker.

rUNAWAY bAY

• 5 answers

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

What a great cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2016

To keep everything relevant
1) Back ground - maintained a Genie diaphragm cleaner for 20 years.
2) it was time to buy a new one
3) Bought an 2nd hand ONGA Great White - ended up within a week in the rubbish bin
5)searching Gumtree- found a Onga Hammerhead - brand new for $180- great price
6) installed it - my pool is concrete pebble finish - 11 mtr long - installed the 10 hoses...and it was OK ,,,but somehow something appeared to be not right.
7) checked my sand filter and the discharge pressure was very high reason - haven't back washed it for some time.
8) back washed the sand filter
9) ....wow what a difference - hammerhead worked fantastic!

Note
1) diaphragm pool cleaners oscillate faster ten the hammer head. The means that comparing the movement of both - the appearance is different - the diaphragm operated eg oscillates faster - thus the hammerhead gives you initially the illusion that it doesn't travel that fast. But this is incorrect they both work with a similar speed.
2) and now please read carefully - the hammer head is a "bit louder" then the diaphragm pool cleaners - but still that quiet that ....my bedroom is next to the pool - that I do NOT hear the hammerhead.

Comments
It is less then a week I have pool cleaner and after cleaning the sand filter i have added additional hoses- 12 mtr and all works fine.

Notes re performance:
In the back yard i have a needle tree. Ones a year the tree sheds all his needles and the seed pods.the seed pods are 10mm in diameter and the hammerhead somehow managed to pass them trough the hammerhead design.

Conclusion
It is a bit early to say - but i re-searched all - regardless of brand or dollar value the hammer head had the best reviews. reading all info i thought that their must be come merit t it.
It is the seond week now and I am very happy with the HAMMERHEAD.

+ asss

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

It works

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2016

So far, so good - swapped from my Barracuda G2 (which was admittedly falling apart, and had worked well enough in its earlier life) to the Hammerhead based on reviews - and sure enough it is a effective and doesn't get stuck. There are plenty of more expensive cleaners, not sure why you would need one

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Best pool cleaner I have owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2016

After trying various brands and models I can safely say that the Hammerhead is hands down the best unit I have owned. After correcting the suction flow to suit the hammerhead i.e. maximum my pump can handle by removing any losses, I have a spotlessly clean pool. The hammerhead climbs the walls and all of the stairs in my 10M lap pool. I could not be happier. I have read that some owners have had problems with theirs, to which I can only say that I have not! I have had it now for 8 months without issue. It even manages to remove the palm leaves!!

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

So far so excellect!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2016

My Kreepy Krauly had given me grief for years and it was time for a change. The Onga Hammerhead was cheap so I took a punt and have been really happy with the results. Had an issue fitting the unit to my existing skimmer plate but after buying a new plate has been working beautifully. The sound of my Kreepy was keeping the neighbours awake so that was the biggest surprise. The Hammerhead is silent! Cleans better than the Kreepy and has not yet stopped working.

1 of 7 pages