• 2 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Really Enjoying the Hammerhead

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

I bought this product in late June 2017 and it has worked really well. I used to have a Zodiac but it stopped with any size nut. That has not been the case with this and I have waited a few months since buying to see how it has handled lots of leaves. It's done really well and only occasionally have had to clear the head because a branch has fallen in but it still goes. I'm really happy with this product.

Brisbane

• 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Doesn't compete with similar products

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

I bought a hammerhead around a year ago due to the previous cleaner going through a number of diaphrams. Based on reviews here I gave it a go and worked perfect - for 3 months. After that, I experienced the same as others have reported. Doesn't matter what the leaf size, leaves gets stuck in the hammer mechanism and it stops. Easily fixed, just pull the head unit up, remove stuck leaf, then drop back down and it gets stuck on a leaf a minute later.

After a while I emailed Onga support asking what I might be doing wrong. The response was simply it is designed to clean, not suck up debris.

I removed it from the pool last week and have replaced with a 2 wheel turbine cleaner which appears to work wonders. Unfortunately the hammerhead cannot do what the majority of people would expect - clean small debris. Lesson learnt.

Perth

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Works perfectly in silence

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2017

Replaced our old Kreepy Krauly with a Hammerhead (concrete pool) 3 weeks ago. Works perfectly straight out of the box. Just had to set the suction pressure with the supplied device. Didn't need to add hose weights or make any other adjustments. The first thing I noticed is no more jack hammer noice, just silence. This alone was worth changing from the Kreepy. But also the Kreepy used to get stuck in the corner at the steps several times a day and choke on long leaves and nuts from the palm trees. Not had either of those problems with the Hammerhead, not even once.
Very happy!

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments

A follow up from my previous review: I noticed that if there is too much suction then it starts to make some noise, but still much quieter than the old Kreepy. However it is silent when the suctio... read more »

Bunya

Date Purchased: Sep 2010

Much better than a crawly

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2017

I live in a treed area nd used to own a krawly one. After dozens of diaghrams and continually having to remove stick and large leaves the got stiuck i bought this one. In 7 years it has not missed a beat. About to replace the skirt for the first time It eats leaves sticks and anything else that falls into the pool. Great low maint cleaner

Date Purchased: May 2014

Reliable and effective

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

We have used our Hammerhead for 3 years and it has been reliable and done a great job of cleaning the pool. We will be replacing it shortly because after three years of constantly being in the pool the plastic has started to break down. We replaced the skirt twice in three years with genuine parts and the replacement skirts didn't last very long. That would be my only complaint.

Purchased at: eBay

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Hammerhead. A very good pool cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2017

Purchased this as read good reviews. Didn't want to spend a lot of money on robotic pool cleaners or pool cleaners with a lot of moving parts. Settled on this simple and well priced pool cleaner. Previously owned 2 Kleeva Kleena and was not happy with gradual deterioration of the cleaner and cost of spare parts. Even when refurbished, it did not perform well. I was after a simple pool cleaner, one I could just leave in the pool, low maintenance, durable and cheap to maintain.

So far I have had the Hammerhead for 3 weeks and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure that it will have it's issues but so does other cleaners but value for money, I think it's spot on. It moves pretty quick too. Love the one moving part and reasonably priced replacement parts. It was easy to install and to adjust the flow. I have a frangipani tree next to the pool. It has managed to suck up the large leaves without problems. Other cleaners I looked at had small vacuum mouths which I consider would clog up very quickly with large leaves.

It doesn't look fancy but does the job nicely for a fraction of the price of other cleaners on the market.

Highly recommended cleaner.

gold coast

Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Same as the rest

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2017

All of these pool cleaners that have an opening that opens and closes are the same. Leaves get halfway through the opening then the cleaner stops & you have to unclog it. If you have to buy one of this type, buy the cheapest cause you get nothing more for spending more.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Best I have ever owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2017

When I moved into my new house the pool cleaner I inherited was a Barracuda. It constantly got caught in the corners and wouldn't clean the walls of the pool. I ditched the Barracuda and bough two different Aldi models over the next two years. They were a complete waste of money. Bits fell off, they wore away from scraping on the pool walls and just didn't do the job. Then I did some research on the internet and decided to give the Onga Hammered a go relying on the five star ratings that constantly came up. I Couldn’t be more satisfied with the results. The Onga is quiet, it cleans all of the walls, doesn't get stuck, is completely random and has me marvelling at my sparkling clean pool. For the money you can't go past this great little sucker.

rUNAWAY bAY

• 3 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

What a great cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2016

To keep everything relevant
1) Back ground - maintained a Genie diaphragm cleaner for 20 years.
2) it was time to buy a new one
3) Bought an 2nd hand ONGA Great White - ended up within a week in the rubbish bin
4) fixed the Genie---was ok
5)searching Gumtree- found a Onga Hammerhead - brand new for $180- great price = willing to pay full price picked it up 48 hrs later - great seller.
6) installed it - my pool is concrete pebble finish - 11 mtr long - installed the 10 hoses...and it was OK ,,,but somehow something appeared to be not right.
7) checked my sand filter and the discharge pressure was very high reason - haven't back washed it for some time.
8) back washed the sand filter
9) ....wow what a difference - hammerhead worked fantastic!

Note
1) diaphragm pool cleaners oscillate faster ten the hammer head. The means that comparing the movement of both - the appearance is different - the diaphragm operated eg oscillates faster - thus the hammerhead gives you initially the illusion that it doesn't travel that fast. But this is incorrect they both work on a similar speed.
2) and now please read carefully - the hammer head is a "bit louder" then the diaphragm pool cleaners - but still that quiet that ....my bedroom is next to the pool - that I do NOT hear the hammerhead.

Comments
It is less then a week I have pool cleaner and after cleaning the sand filter i have added additional hoses- 12 mtr and all works fine.

Notes re performance:
In the back yard i have a needle tree. Ones a year the tree sheds all his needles and the seed pods.the seed pods are 10mm in diameter and the hammerhead somehow managed to pass them trough the hammerhead design.

Conclusion
It is a bit early to say - but i re-searched all - regardless of brand or dollar value the hammer head had the best reviews. reading all info i thought that their must be come merit t it.
It is the seond week now and I am very happy with the HAMMERHEAD.

+ asss

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

It works

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2016

So far, so good - swapped from my Barracuda G2 (which was admittedly falling apart, and had worked well enough in its earlier life) to the Hammerhead based on reviews - and sure enough it is a effective and doesn't get stuck. There are plenty of more expensive cleaners, not sure why you would need one

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Best pool cleaner I have owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2016

After trying various brands and models I can safely say that the Hammerhead is hands down the best unit I have owned. After correcting the suction flow to suit the hammerhead i.e. maximum my pump can handle by removing any losses, I have a spotlessly clean pool. The hammerhead climbs the walls and all of the stairs in my 10M lap pool. I could not be happier. I have read that some owners have had problems with theirs, to which I can only say that I have not! I have had it now for 8 months without issue. It even manages to remove the palm leaves!!

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

So far so excellect!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2016

My Kreepy Krauly had given me grief for years and it was time for a change. The Onga Hammerhead was cheap so I took a punt and have been really happy with the results. Had an issue fitting the unit to my existing skimmer plate but after buying a new plate has been working beautifully. The sound of my Kreepy was keeping the neighbours awake so that was the biggest surprise. The Hammerhead is silent! Cleans better than the Kreepy and has not yet stopped working.

NAMBOUR, QLD

• 1 question
  • 9 answers
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

I have the next model up called MAKO shark

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2016

wow this thing is great the mako shark is called the Kreepy Krauly Kruiser in the USA , made in europe and not china so is a good bit of kit for $395 the hammerhead is a great pool cleaner But i think the Mako is better bought online from Dads pool shop , time will tell but so far so good with my Mako shark from pentair.......

Works a treat

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

Having lived with the frustrations of Zodiac cleaners (thesight of a banksia leaf and the Zodiac would stop), I am absolutely delighted with the Hammerhead. It will do pretty big leaves and small sticks. I was away for a month and for the first time EVER the pool was fine.

Purchased at: eBay

Sydney

Private message

Continues to stop working.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2016

When you look at the function of the Cleaner it should be perfect, it is not. The smallest leaf stops it. The smallest nut stops it. Returned it three times to where i purchased it at Blacktown and told that it was in good working order, must be pressure, must be air .
Quite simply the hammer mechanism binds up on leaf matter and the unit stops working. Most frustrating pool cleaner i have ever owned.
Back to the maple matic again, working like a charm. My advice don't buy the hammer head. to much to little can stop it.

• 5 helpful votes

Such a reliable cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2016

I replaced my Quattro7 with this cleaner and I love it. It has been very reliable.
Never gets stuck anywhere.
I do have an odd shaped pool and there are a few spots it does not clean, but this is the only drawback.
Price was also much cheaper than previous pool cleaner.

Private message

Not suited to tiled pool

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2016

Had one in last house, pebble finish surface, worked brilliant, so purchased one; new house and tiled pool with large radius corners, cleaner gets stuck everywhere, driving us just mad. Can't get traction, on tiles, added weights, to suction head, helps a little, tried every thing, had a couple of pool guys round but couldn't improve it.

Melbourne

• 6 helpful votes

Moved House, Bought Another One

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2016

This is my second review of this pool cleaner. I moved house and the new pool is smaller - only 25,000 litres. It had a cheap cleaner that did not work. As I had a great experience with my last Hammerhead, I bit the bullet and bought another one for the new pool at my new house. Plugged it in, set up the hose and it works well - which I expected from past experience. I have discovered there are two important properties of pool cleaners that make them work without tangling the hose. Firstly - it must have a segmented hose. Because you assemble it in random ways each time, it always ends up roughly straight. Continuous, non- jointed hoses always develop some form of twist unless you store them in a straight line - which is not practical. Secondly - the cleaner must have a free and effective rotational joint on it so that the hose is always free to rotate at the cleaner end and hence remain un-twisted. This is what the Hammerhead achieves. The flapper motor is more robust than most as well and the unit is strongly built with no thin parts that are likely to break off. Sounds like I am a salesman for this unit - but I am not - just appreciate something that works when I see it.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

So far, so good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2016

Bought 2 months ago, and it got stuck the first few of times, always in the same place, but since then it has chugged away nicely without fuss. Why it got stuck initially, I don't know - I didn't make any adjustments. I might get another hose length; it's at full stretch in my 8m pool.

Far exceeded my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 28, 2016

Just does the job properly, the walls the floor, never gets stuck, doesn't miss anywhere, It's always clean with no algae growth thanks to the Onga
I have had 3 other pool cleaners over 20 yrs, always disappointed and had started to clean the pool manually, I think the onga saves me at least 2 hours per week, that's 100 hours per year = 2.5 working weeks.
My pool is a rectangle 12.5m x 4.8m with slightly curved corners. It has a pebble crete finish.
I've never felt compelled to write a review before, The Onga just far exceeded my expectations!

1 of 6 pages