Froothie has recently been encouraging their customers to write reviews. These reviews adhere to ProductReview’s Incentivised Customer Reviews Guidelines and may explain a spike in review numbers.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Great juicer (with some idiosyncrasies)!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

I also own an optimum 9400 blender which I use almost daily to make smoothies, and I'm very happy with this machine and the customer service I've received from Froothie. So when it came to purchasing a juicer I wanted to stick to the same company again. Froothie occasionally sells 'factory reconditioned' items, which usually are ex-demo models, at a great discounted price and with the same warranty and 30 day return policy as its new items. So it's worth asking, or checking out their website and ebay store (seller location Vermont) to see what's currently available. I bought the Optimum 400 and absolutely love this machine. Initially I struggled with it, especially when juicing celery and leafy greens, as the fibres would completely clog the pulp chute and also the grinder inside. I think the many youtube videos about the Optimum 400 (by Rory Bland etc.) slightly misrepresent the capabilities of this machine, as in the videos large pieces are inserted, implying that this is how the machine works best. Some veggies / fruits work well in bigger size bites, e.g. carrots, apples, anything that's not stringy inside, but especially celery or kale and other 'stringy' fruits and veggies need to be cut quite small (think salad size bites) to not block the pulp chute. If you follow this one advice, your juicer will work perfectly, no problems at all. I haven't tried the optimum 600 or 700, but reading reviews people still complain about the pulp chute getting blocked and looking at videos on youtube they are still cutting their fruits and veggies relatively small - this is despite all the hype from froothie which implies one can insert whole celery stalks without any problems. Anyway, just be aware that you may need to cut your veggies small, no matter what juicer you buy. For me, the optimum 400 is a good solution.

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 6 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Wouldn't settle for less

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2017

Although this is my first ever juicer I'm sure it's the best on the market. I've seen friends use different ones and there's just no comparison. It is quiet, no mess and easy to clean. Initially I struggled to take it apart for cleaning and the instructions manual wasn't quite clear enough but when I rang them they were very helpful. After I got used to it the whole process is a breeze. There are many parts but with the brush provided it only takes a few minutes.
The little red stopper under the cup is quite flimsy and mine broke after a short time. But I just keep using it with no problems. There are also spares that came with the machine so it's not a big worry.
All in all a great juicer and it's not one that you'd put away just because you can't be bothered to clean it.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Best juice ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2017

I use my juicer at least once a week even after having it for over a year. Other juicers just end up in storage after a month or 2 but this makes such good fruit/veg juice it is additive for the whole family. Cleaning takes a few minutes but still better than other juicers we have tried

Chermside

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Excellent value cold press juicer!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2017

I love how quiet this machine is, just purrs along extracting juice in a clean, efficient way.
Once I got used to using it it became quite easy. The instructions were simple and the support team have been very quick in responding to my emails - very impressed with that!
The jugs it comes with are great for pouring too.

I'd prefer a bigger chute but Froothie do have juicers with bigger chutes so the option is there and well worth considering.

Occasionally it's hard removing the bowl after juicing, it's like there's a vacuum/pressure that forms, but a wiggle and firm pressure gets it off.

Love that it keeps the enzymes intact.

Washing up is not that hard once you're used to it, it disassembles easily enough and there are just a few parts to wash.
The little brushes etc that come with it are very useful in cleaning everything.

All in all a great product that does it's job well, quietly and efficiently.

Thanks for a great product Team Froothie.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: May 2015

Great cold pressed juicer and affordable price.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2017

Produces quite a lot of juice for a cold pressed juicer. It is fairly quiet compared to other juices I've had in the past. It is a bit difficult to clean just because there are quite a few parts that need to be washed up, but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. Great company as well, always had amazing service by them.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Happy Juicer

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2016

I'm very happy with my juicer it has exceeded my expectations.

The juicer keeps me very healthy and I believe it gives me a positive mindset.

I juice mostly green vegetables and minimal fruit. I use it twice a week and I juice as a meal replacement. This saves me money too.

Sydney

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Great Juicer

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2016

I have had this juicer for a few years now. At first I didn't like it as it kept leaking when I was juicing. After contacting Froothie Support (who are absolutely fantastic !!) I was advised that I was not chopping the vegetables small enough - yes I was leaving them rather chunky, and they also gave me lots of other great advice. They also emailed me thru a copy of the manual and a recipe book which did not come initially with the machine. Once I started doing this no problems what so ever. I love the juice it delivers as there is still some substance / body to it as it lets some of the fibre come thru depending on which strainer you choose to utilise. Also easy to clean. Overall great product and great company :)
I owned an Oscar prior to this and prefer my Optimum so much more !

Dissapiontted

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2016

I am so over my optimum 400,
That little red rubber on the back of the bowl keeps coming out,
The bowl itself wobles and comes of the gearing system,
Very annoying .
Having to put one hand on the top of the juicer with pressure just too juice a few pieces of fruit.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Optimum Appliances Official

Hello Michael, I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Optimum 400. Based on the feedback you have provided it is very likely there is a fault with the juicer. Please cont... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase

Great juice - design fault with chamber bowl attachment

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2016

I'm only about 5 sessions in (carrot juice junkie) and see some fundamental issues with the design of how the juicing chamber bowl connects with the Optimum 400's base motor, specifically when juicing hard vegetables.

It produces great juice but this is what I experienced from the beginning. The bowl does not affix securely to the base motor but rather kind of clips onto three raised ridges. I noticed a very gentle wobble when the unit is turned on despite everything in the right place. The wobble increases when juicing carrots, requiring me to place downward pressure on the top to have it sit back down on those three raised ridges. Left unchecked, it will displace itself and leak juice as it breaks the seal of the central crushing screw and place pressure on the hopper holding the chamber together. Even when not turned on, the chamber pops off on its own, like a shallow inserted cork out of bottle of champagne. This is not a robust way to stay attached over the long term.

I can't see any manufacturing defect, it was assembled with care but despite that, I had one wobbling session left unchecked, the chamber lifting up a few mm, the hopper lid getting too much pressure from the crushing screw and carrot (it was not overstuffed) and it was too much for the plastic grooves of the hopper/top of the chamber bowl and the unit's safety kicked in (thankfully).

Really wanted to like this, but can't get past the design of the how the bowl attaches, it would seem it needs a screw in design or metal arm to hold down the entire chamber together securely.

Reading up on the unit, I think the unit is actually a Korean model Hurom HU-500 which might explain the woeful assembly instructions on the manual. They are not in any way associated with the clarity of the marketing material which is all produced by an agency. Seriously, one graphic of the assembly is pointless without referring to ridges that need to line up inside the chamber or properly explaining how to know the screw is affixed correctly (does it turn or not when the machine is off?).

I'm not being deliberately negative. This juicer has convinced me of how great cold press juicing can be. I also own a Breville juice fountain which I never use as it sounds like I'm destroying a small forest. If I consider another unit, I will have to scrutinise how the parts assemble/hold together.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Optimum Appliances Official

Hello Pixel, the wobble you are experiencing with the Optimum 400 is unusual, please contact me directly at francois@froothie.com.au and I would like to personally investigate this matter and have ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

no more fruit and vegetable wastage

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2015

I have owned the Optimum 400 Cold Press Juicer for a few months now, after my breville high speed bit the dust.
After some careful research on product review and youtube, the Optimum 400 seemed like the smart choice.
Its amazing the flavours i get from my juice now, i had no idea how much of the fruit and vegetables i was wasting with the high speed juicer. We use the juicer everyday to make fresh juices. I highly recommend the Optimum ."

Private message

Great juicer for the price

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2015

I came across froothie UK when looking for a blender, then a friend told me about how Masticating slow juicers were the best option and I saw the optimum 400 juicer on the site and after reading reviews, decided to order it. I received the juicer within 72 hours and have had it just over a week now. I also bought the 9400 blender.

It's an superb juicer and I have also used it for almond milk, the almond milk had some fine pulp in it but I was using it for a smoothie so this didn't really matter. The yield is outstanding, a medium sized pyrex dish full of chopped fruit and veg makes exactly a litre. Today for example this comprised of two small oranges, four small apples, two celery sticks, one small cos lettuce, one small beetroot, four carrots, a mini cucumber and a small piece of ginger. In a centrifrugal juicer that amount would just about make 500ml, in my experience.

I would rate the juicer as excellent but with just a couple of minor quibbles. Firstly, sometimes the auger can get very firmly stuck inside the bowl after juicing and it is quite a task to get it to loosen so everything else can be disassembled for washing. It happens maybe one out of three occasions but it's frustrating when it does. Secondly the plastic used for the clear bowl is quite soft and easily scratched just by pulp and even by the cleaning brush included, even if great care is taken. I was expecting the bowl to be of a similar hardness and durability to the 9400 blender jug. If the clear bowl was available cheaply as a spare part this wouldn't be so bad, but so far it hasn't been added to the accessories page of the store. Thirdly the tamper isn't well sealed and gets water inside when washed but it's impossible to open and clean inside. Lastly though it's nothing to do with the juicer itself, the cleaning brush has snapped in two already. I have contacted froothie just now about this and am awaiting a response.

+ excellent price, great customer service, juicer works exactly as is claimed

- sometimes tricky to disassemble after use, bowl material could be better, cleaning brush not durable enough for the job

great product

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2015

Initial slight hiccup caused by trying to juice in reverse - should have realised an australian product would have the switches upside down! Otherwise excellent

+ practically everything

- would prefer switches the right way up

Awesome stuff

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

It has been an eye opening experience just how good juicing is and this machine in particular. I never write reviews but this is such a life saving juicer that I had to.
It is simple, effective and does the job with no fuss. It is always going to be a hassle to clean a juicer but with a little practice you can get this done in three to four minutes entirely. It's best if you don't rejuice the pulp but some stuff is better off rejuiced and you have to clean a little harder.
Its well worth the money and I hope it lasts!

+ Simple, effective, quiet, relatively easy to clean.

- Can be a bit fiddly to put together until you have some practice at it.

Luv it!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2015

I've found the perfect juicer for my budget and my requirements. Fresh juice daily, frozen desserts, almond milk for my shakes, you name it! I've even made Tofu!!! I now couldn't be without it and the kids find it simple to use too they love making real fruit juice ice poles!

• 5 helpful votes

Absolutely love my Optimum 400 Juicer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2015

I just love my Optimum 400 Juicer. The whole juicing process is so easy. The pulp is amazing too, we freeze it and use in cooking so nothing is wasted and we still get all the fibre. I have had other juicers in the past, but honestly, this is just top quality and I recommend to anyone that wants to make great juices! The service at Froothie is also top quality.

Darwin

• 5 answers

High quality machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 07, 2015

Quiet, efficient, easy to clean, sits neatly on bench for easy access, able to juice all types of veggies hard, soft, stringy. Very impressive machine - love it.

Woodvale

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

The Best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2015

I love this juicer. I've had a Breville juicer in the past and very rarely used it because of the noise and unbelievably difficult and messy process of cleaning the 'thing'.. The Optimum 400 is amazingly quiet, gives me a higher yield of juice from my produce than my old Breville.. and a quick rinse and its clean. The way it quietly chomps & grinds through even the hardest carrots or beetroot and gives up a smooth, lump free juice always makes using it a real pleasure.

Highly recommended!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 26, 2015

I've had the Optimum 400 for a month now and absolutely love it! It's become an easy routine to make vegetable and fruit juices. I usually do not like to use things that requires much assembly and cleaning but this was really easy! It is one of the best investments I've made so far as it is exceptional value for the price I paid. Customer service at Froothie was fantastic as the online chat support team answered my queries very promptly.

• 26 helpful votes

The King of Juicers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 26, 2015

The Optimum 400 is a great invention. I make juice every morning for myself and my wife, and it's the best start to our day. I like how it separates the pulp, and I find it a breeze to clean with minimal water. Compared to our last juicer (centrifugal), this is heaven. We feel healthier, and our glowing complexions are living proof.

26 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

Optimum 400

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2015

I absolutely love my juicer. Its become part of my family. I love making my juice everyday and I dont annoy anyone now as it is so quiet. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

1 of 5 pages