Melbourne

• 1 answer
Private message

ok, there is worse but there is a lot better puppy food on the market

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

Purchased this when we first got our mini foxie puppy and he would not eat the dry food all the time and is very fussy. The pedigree puppy food gave him the runs. This Optimum was ok - poohs not as runny, and he ate it sometimes, so better than pedigree. However, now we use Black Hawk moist dog food, and Nutro Natural Choice puppy food with Black Hawk dry food and he is much healthier, firmish poohs with little odour, shiny soft coat and a healthier dog all round who isn't as fussy with his food.

try intoducing it slowely

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2017

Have not tried this puppy food yet but to the people saying it made their dogs sick:
My vet mentioned when changing a puppy's food you must introduce it slowly, especially being a puppy because changing their food straight away can cause upset stomachs, diarrhoea, vomiting...

These biscuits are garbage highly NOT RECOMMENDED

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2016

I was using supercoat large puppy breed and didn't have a problem with the biscuits. When i went to purchase the biscuits again the lady at the counter highly recommend Optimum (BIGGEST MISTAKE) My rottweiler has the runs and I've got him on a biscuit only diet. At $65+ a bag.

Won't get it again

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2016

I get the large puppy dry food. The dog is not to keen on it. I can't stand the smell of it when I open the bag. The bag has a long time before the use by date but to me it smells like week old road kill.

Puppy was sick after eating biscuits

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2016

Our 6 month old puppy has been on the puppy biscuits since we got her, recently we purchased another bag and after every meal (only biscuits) she has thrown up everything almost straight away. We have fed her only rice for a day to find out what was causing this and no vomit, tried a small handful of the optimum biscuits 2 days later and as suspected she threw it alllaterNot impressed!!

Poison

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2016

Feed this to all our 4 dogs, 2 Goldens, sharpie, akita and every single one had running poo and vomiting. They were drinking alot of water. Now after 4 days of normal home cooked food one golden is still sick. This is absolutely garbage and will make your dog's sick.

And that vet s face on the bag what a sell out he is

Melbourne

Private message

Horrible, my dog won't touch it.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

Bought a bag of optimum puppy food for my 7 month old border collie after my friend recommended it. It was TERRIBLE. Full of useless fillers and by products and my dog won't touch it. Ended up chucking the whole bag in the bin. Don't buy it.

derby, tasmania

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 13 answers
  • 43 helpful votes

Puppy likes it!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2015

This was the first Puppy food we tried for our Bullmastiff pup and she loved it, up until she was 14 weeks old we would add some Puppy milk to the dry food and it went down a treat! she needs a little more convincing now , but still eats it well, she's thriving and has a beautiful coat, so in all, i am very happy with this product!

Works for us!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2015

Puppy wasn't fussed on it in the beginning but he loves it now. We had no problems with excessive urination or drinking and had him house trained in a week or two after getting him. I don't however feed him much dry and prefer to hydrate it in boiling water daily. He has all systems working well.

Cockeysville

Private message

Seems to cause frequent drinking & urination

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2015

I have tried this food with 2 puppies. I have found that their water consumption was higher than normal and they urinated very frequently. This, of course, did not help with house training. When switched to another food, both puppies returned to normal drinking & urinating - with virtually no accidents during house training. Interesting that salt content is not listed in Composition. Not worth the stress for pups and owners during house breaking.

Yass, Australia

My German shepherd loves it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2015

My 7month old shepherd started on Purina it made his stools really runny and he wasn't gaining any weight what so ever... Switched to optimum his now a very healthy boy and his stools are normal... He loves the biscuits! We mix it with fresh chicken mince =)

Perth

• 2 helpful votes

Cost us a big vet bill!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2015

The product is endorsed by a reconised vet so we thought it must be good. After feeding it to our lovely healthy golden retriever, he got very sick, to the point where he vomited every day and would t eat any food. It ended up costing us a $400 vet bill to get him to stop vomiting. I will never ever buy this mince again. And as for the vet that has his face on the product, have a look in the mirror.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Foreign object in biscuits

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2014

Our little puppy was enjoying your bickies until we found a false finger nail in the mix, just as well Ray didn't Yours sincerely, Maree Cork get this caught in his throat. Sadly we are no longer purchasing your products as we feel you have a problem with quality control.

Ballarat

You can get big bags

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2014

I found all the Optimum products to be excellent, and the most important thing is that dogs love it. You can get it in big bags, try CRT and other stock feed places. They will also get it in for you. I have bought the bigger bags and had no problems getting it.

+ Even smells okay. Dogs love it too.

Burnie Tasmania.

• 2 answers
Private message

Perfect for my American x english staffy akia.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2013

My 11 week old American x English staffy has been eating optimum since she was 8 weeks and she has grown so much, her coat is amazingly shiny and she is growing each and every day, she loves the optimum puppy so much and I shall continue to feed it to her even when she is older. She is so full of energy and happiness. I love how there are both big and small bags and I love how it provides my gorgeous girl with everything she needs and more. :D

+ inexpensive, reliable, lasts a perfect amount of time

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Do you just give them dry food?

Sydney

Good product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2013

I've been feeding my rotti x optimum large breed and he loves it. The large breed has larger pieces which he prefers to the small bits. I've only ever seen this at Petbarn, the supermarkets don't stock it and they have it in 15kg bags and often on special.
I mix it with fresh food and he is healthy with a beautiful coat.

+ inexpensive, buy in bulk

above average

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2013

Good source of vitamins, if your on a budget, pitbull grew well, but hard to say as I was giving him wild salmon oil, and minced chicken frames, and minced roo, plus eggs and olive oil 2 days out of the week, only downside is the wholegrain cereals and rice, hollistic is what I use now far better growth, 100% organic, no grains and packed with.vitamins, but it's double the price.

+ affordable mid range dogfood with plenty vitamins

- grains and cerals caused gas and flaky skin

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Nutritionally complete puppy food

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2012

Optimum Puppy is an excellent puppy food.
I checked into this carefully for my Lab puppy and Optimum Puppy food has the exact same nutritional content and ingredients as other much more expensive brands, it is almost identical to Advance Large Breed Puppy Formula which is over three times the price.
The nutritional breakdown is 30% protein and 17% fat - a good growth ratio. It is also low in calcium, which is actually important to stop bone problems. Plus it's endorsed by the Bondi Vet, how can you go wrong ;)

I buy the Dry and Wet food from Coles and mix it together. Our puppy has lovely poo and is growing perfectly. She loves her bikkies.

+ Nutritionally great, Inexpensive

- Only small bags

SYDNEY

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

The myths about dog food

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2012

We are all told that only the premium brand which are the most expensive are best, but I have been told by a Vet Nurse in charge of a large regional Vet Hospital that it doesn't matter which food you use as long as the animal is getting the right nutrition (nutritional list). She uses Woofy Bix (Big W I believe)for her 2 adult Labs. It is however very important to make sure your puppy is on puppy food while they are still growing. I have used Optimum on my previous Rotti and he was always healthy and energetic, beautiful coast. Also as no one in their right mind would give their children (or themselves for that matter) ONLY processed food fresh food is very important, ever wondered why animals are getting the same problem as humans ever sine they have been put of a diet of preserved food only. Diabetes and tumours have always been linked to a bad diet! People have to understand that Vets are there to make a profit and like any salespeople they will advise you to buy what makes them the most profit.
Also premium brands like Science diet are "suppose" to slow down large breeds so they don't develop problems. It didn't help my neighbours Chocolate Lab on Science diet, he still grew very quickly and has hip and joint problems. Importing dog food from Europe? seriously guys are we all that stupid.

+ Inexpensive, nutritionally balanced

- Packages offered in supermarkets are too small

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I must say I am relieved after reading your post. The premium brands push so hard to win our business without making a valid claim as to why their product is that expensive. I have written the same... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2012

Couldn't find any puppy wet food that didn't contain rice or pasta, ended up making my puppies food, cheaper in the long run, then i can control what is going into the food, 2kg of kangaroo meat and 1kg of mixed vegitables (blended) makes over a weeks worth of food for a 33kg lab x staffy, this mix keeps her happy and healthy, and everyone always comments on how shiny her coat is.

+ it was cheap

- contains rice, made my puppy very gassy

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi, We have recently added a LabxStaff yto our family. He is now 14 weeks old and the food is a real concern for us. He eats anything and is not fussy at all but obviously being new pet owners we a... read more »

I recently purchased this puppy food for my chihuahua and she had a really bad reaction to it, she blew up like a balloon. Her head swelled up and her paws, she looked like a different dog, and now... read more »

1 of 2 pages

My mini daschund is 13 weeks old How much puppy food should he have and how often. He is just a little piglet & I worry about his weight

Lenny asked on Oct 08, 2017

Answer this

HI Lenny, I always follow the directions on each food (tin or bag). It is more important that they get small and regular meals at that young age - 4 times a day. So divide amount on tin by 4. It is hard with really small dogs. I have been having to watch how much I feed our dog who is nearly one year old now, as he is only a little dog (a mini foxie). Years ago we had big dogs so they eat a lot. So follow what it says and don't give extra, except occasional dog treat. If you give bones they count as a meal (those raw rib lamb rib bones are best for small dogs our vet told me, and our puppy loves them) and watch things like pig ears as they have fat/energy in them. If you are using home cooked food just give small amount, vegies are good as they can eat more of them without worrying about weight. Always use small food bowl - ours is really small that is what the lady at the pet shop told me and it seems to be best and then you are not tempted to put more/too much food in it. Enjoy your puppy!

Do you do a mix for new puppies and a sample pack for new owners?

Helene asked on Apr 21, 2014

Yes you do :).

Have a 12 week old silky x fox terrier. How much of the puppy food should she have? The vet said to feed twice a day, and we are using the 100g tray of puppy food, and I intend to give dry food for breakfast.

eclcreations asked on Mar 01, 2014

Answer this

Quarter of a cup :) it usually depends on the weight and they usually have the cups on the side :) id give her quarter as she is a small breed. I gave my American x English staffy quarter of a cup when i got her then i moved up to half a cup when she got a bit older, my girl is now on junior and i feed her half a cup in the morning and 1 full cup at night :).

See all 4 questions about Optimum Puppy