ok, there is worse but there is a lot better puppy food on the market

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

Purchased this when we first got our mini foxie puppy and he would not eat the dry food all the time and is very fussy. The pedigree puppy food gave him the runs. This Optimum was ok - poohs not as runny, and he ate it sometimes, so better than pedigree. However, now we use Black Hawk moist dog food, and Nutro Natural Choice puppy food with Black Hawk dry food and he is much healthier, firmish poohs with little odour, shiny soft coat and a healthier dog all round who isn't as fussy with his food.

try intoducing it slowely

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2017

Have not tried this puppy food yet but to the people saying it made their dogs sick:
My vet mentioned when changing a puppy's food you must introduce it slowly, especially being a puppy because changing their food straight away can cause upset stomachs, diarrhoea, vomiting...

These biscuits are garbage highly NOT RECOMMENDED

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2016

I was using supercoat large puppy breed and didn't have a problem with the biscuits. When i went to purchase the biscuits again the lady at the counter highly recommend Optimum (BIGGEST MISTAKE) My rottweiler has the runs and I've got him on a biscuit only diet. At $65+ a bag.

Won't get it again

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2016

I get the large puppy dry food. The dog is not to keen on it. I can't stand the smell of it when I open the bag. The bag has a long time before the use by date but to me it smells like week old road kill.

Puppy was sick after eating biscuits

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2016

Our 6 month old puppy has been on the puppy biscuits since we got her, recently we purchased another bag and after every meal (only biscuits) she has thrown up everything almost straight away. We have fed her only rice for a day to find out what was causing this and no vomit, tried a small handful of the optimum biscuits 2 days later and as suspected she threw it alllaterNot impressed!!

Poison

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2016

Feed this to all our 4 dogs, 2 Goldens, sharpie, akita and every single one had running poo and vomiting. They were drinking alot of water. Now after 4 days of normal home cooked food one golden is still sick. This is absolutely garbage and will make your dog's sick.

And that vet s face on the bag what a sell out he is

Melbourne

Private message

Horrible, my dog won't touch it.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

Bought a bag of optimum puppy food for my 7 month old border collie after my friend recommended it. It was TERRIBLE. Full of useless fillers and by products and my dog won't touch it. Ended up chucking the whole bag in the bin. Don't buy it.

derby, tasmania

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 12 answers
  • 43 helpful votes

Puppy likes it!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2015

This was the first Puppy food we tried for our Bullmastiff pup and she loved it, up until she was 14 weeks old we would add some Puppy milk to the dry food and it went down a treat! she needs a little more convincing now , but still eats it well, she's thriving and has a beautiful coat, so in all, i am very happy with this product!

Works for us!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2015

Puppy wasn't fussed on it in the beginning but he loves it now. We had no problems with excessive urination or drinking and had him house trained in a week or two after getting him. I don't however feed him much dry and prefer to hydrate it in boiling water daily. He has all systems working well.

Cockeysville

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Seems to cause frequent drinking & urination

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2015

I have tried this food with 2 puppies. I have found that their water consumption was higher than normal and they urinated very frequently. This, of course, did not help with house training. When switched to another food, both puppies returned to normal drinking & urinating - with virtually no accidents during house training. Interesting that salt content is not listed in Composition. Not worth the stress for pups and owners during house breaking.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Yass, Australia

My German shepherd loves it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2015

My 7month old shepherd started on Purina it made his stools really runny and he wasn't gaining any weight what so ever... Switched to optimum his now a very healthy boy and his stools are normal... He loves the biscuits! We mix it with fresh chicken mince =)

Perth

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Cost us a big vet bill!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2015

The product is endorsed by a reconised vet so we thought it must be good. After feeding it to our lovely healthy golden retriever, he got very sick, to the point where he vomited every day and would t eat any food. It ended up costing us a $400 vet bill to get him to stop vomiting. I will never ever buy this mince again. And as for the vet that has his face on the product, have a look in the mirror.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

Do you do a mix for new puppies and a sample pack for new owners?

Helene asked on Apr 21, 2014

Yes you do :).

Have a 12 week old silky x fox terrier. How much of the puppy food should she have? The vet said to feed twice a day, and we are using the 100g tray of puppy food, and I intend to give dry food for breakfast.

eclcreations asked on Mar 01, 2014

Answer this

Quarter of a cup :) it usually depends on the weight and they usually have the cups on the side :) id give her quarter as she is a small breed. I gave my American x English staffy quarter of a cup when i got her then i moved up to half a cup when she got a bit older, my girl is now on junior and i feed her half a cup in the morning and 1 full cup at night :).

Our puppy is 8 weeks old, but I am unsure how much to feed him. The recommended 1 cup per day seems to be insufficient,and he eagerly devours his meals, and looks for more. He weighs 4.5kg and is a Border Collie cross - so a medium dog.

Kate asked on Feb 01, 2012

Answer this

I fed this to my kelpie from 8 weeks old. I fed him several small meals a day and mixed the dry biscuits with a bit of tinned. I would have fed him about half a cup in total 4 times a day.
If they are generally hungry when they eat, it is ok to give them more but dont feed them too much in one go.
Yes i tend to not look at what the packet says.

Make sure you are reading the feeding guide correctly.
You base the feed requirements on what your dog will weigh when it is fully grown - NOT what it weighs now.
Your border collie will weigh approx. 15-20kg when it is an adult and fully grown - so according to the feeding guide, at 8 weeks you should be feeding her 2 cups a day, not 1 cup.
I wet the hard food with water (to help prevent bloat) and add some Optimum soft puppy food when I want to top up her feed. Hope that helps.

Product Details