Orbit Homes is offering a $50 Bunnings gift voucher to their customers from November 2014 to encourage them to write a positive or a negative review. It is possible that reviews during the terms of that offer were written by customers who received such a reward

Caloundra, qld

• 11 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2008

If you want to save yourself a pile of frustration and needless arguments build with someone else, If we had known before we started we would have.

- Paid deposit 7/01/07 block was cut in july building started august. Full of excuses, never a straight answer. In my opinion some of the worst construction i have seen.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 13 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2008

stay away stay far far away from this builder.If you dont mind paying a mortgage and rent for almost one year build wiyh orbit.

+ nothing good to say about orbit homes

- full of excuses,they are always right and never wrong.they tell one thing on the monday and 24hrs latter, what they told you they dont remember telling you.You must have missunderstood.they didnt mean this tuesday the brickie would be there,it could be any tuesday in the month.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 32 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2008

I have not personally built with orbit homes however the 2 neighbors either side of us and owners across the street have and all have had nothing but bad things to say. After moving into our current house one neighbors concrete driveway has been ripped up and redone twice as it was what can only be considered substandard. I would hate to think what is going on inside. This has deterred me from going anywhere near these jokers.
As for 14 Feb - come on mate. Try to take people for a ride with the building process and post what you did. People are not quite as slow as your building process. How is it that you know that there are 91 great employees?

- Delays, poor workmanship.

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2008

I agree that 14th Feb must be the builder themselves. I have met 3 other people over the 18 months that we built with them. One dropped out after loosing $1000 deposit as it had taken over 4 months for their contract to be provided to them. One was still perservering but had waited 3 months for the slab to appear on their land, the other 1 in the same boat as ourselves. Given a date that was 4 weeks out for finalising the contract and then leaving us all homeless as it took another 10 weeks. I have nothing good to say about htis experience. We have been inour home almost a year and the items on the list that were oustanding on handover day are still oustadning. We are finally sending our complaints to BSA to have it finlaised and I would recommend all the other unhappy customers follow suit!

+ There were none - avoid this builder at all costs.

- Where can you start? We had 4 site managers, 5 project managers, there own tradies bagging them to us, incorrect dates - took 18 months to build our house and was only that quick because we had our solicitor intervene.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 13 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2008

Usually I prefer not to bag people as a rule but honestly, Orbit deserve every bit or negativity based on my own personal expereince. And the guy down the road as well! "Orbit give you more options" - to make you go nuts.

+ Absolutely - ZERO Pro's! Having sufferred (and yes you will) their incompetance for over 12 months it was a expereince never to be repeated. I find amusing the entry made on the 14th Feb (clearly by Orbit themselves). I had 1 project manager admit to me personally that you build 'boxes' you don't build homes. And mainly defense force housing at that! Poor bastards, we send them to Iraq and ask them to come back and live in a box.

- Need I saw more. Poor upfront guidance, all care and NO responsibility, poor subcontractor quality, hostile office staff, claims for progress payments when work not completed, overworked site managers and the list goes on.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 18 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2008

Orbit Homes builds between 400-500 homes a year. 11 reviews a year does not a year make. We chose Orbit based on their award winning designs especially the awards they have earned in QLD. Orbit was very upfront about the site concerns with the lot we purchased. Something our developer forgot to mention. I believe after purchasing a lot on about the worst possiable plot of land that their are too many variables(weather, Soil class, price increases, labor shortages, and worst of all Council Approvals) to expect a one company to be able to fix them all. Despite material pricing going through the roof Orbit maintained our agreed upon contract price even though my wife and I know they ate a good portion due to uncontrolable delays. No company put out a quality house in under a year from signing. In fact Orbit put our house through council in half the time of our friends who did it themselvs. I don't judge the Mcdonalds Franchise based on one chain store. As you can't judge a company based on a employee, lord knows it hard enough to find one let alone 91 great employees. All in All I am pleased our home and know if Orbit were to review us as customers we'd proably have faults also. I do feel sorry for the 12-20 people who said that the reviews they read effected their opinion to purchase an Orbit Home. Wait a few months and check all home builder you'll see the same review for them too. People happy with their homes usually don't write reviews they are too busy enjoying life. As for me I goggled Orbit to find a display village for a find and happened upon this site!

+ Upfront empolyees not afraid to admit a mistake. Award Winning Home Designs from Master Builder (for the review who was trying to call them in to investigate Orbit.)

- Would have appreciated 3D drawings and a bit of a more colourful presentation to include our colour selection.

18 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 15 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2009

We paid our deposit in March 07, we are only now up to getting the wet area's tiled! Like all the other comments we have had issue's right from the word go.... from setting up the appointment to sign contracts, losing our colour selection charts (the excuse for delay's) site supervisor not showing up to his own meeting on site, our sink waste pipe was in the lounge room (lucky we pointed it out hey?) the site mess developing into a mountain, 3 different heights in the wet area tiling (and not laid flat either!)..... they painted the front doors the wrong colour and we have since moved interstate, but prior to moving we noted the tiling errors and it has been 10 weeks to get the tiles ordered to fix the mistakes, and they have not ordered enough so we may have another 10 weeks to wait....who knows! In the mantime we have had another block built on and the house completed by a small builder in 16 weeks. This is our third house that we have built and the incompetence and lack of respect for the paying customer has left us resentful and extremely angry. We will also be taking it further, and hope that the builder is exposed for who they really are... Please do NOT even consider walking into a display home, it is not worth it.

+ This website! This sound board is great to expell the rage that has built inside

- Really not sure where to start...

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2009

I researched for a long time before I commited to a builder and found that 90% of things I heard about all builders were negative........it is true that you really do only here bad stories, good work just doesn't get talked about - until now! I am very happy with my home and the level of service I recieved from sales stage to handover. I have to admit that I don't think I was a difficult customer (which I'm sure helps) but when everything just works why would I have an excuss to be difficult? My house is a Hamilton and I have to say I don't think there is a better value for money home anywhere in Melb. Well done Orbit Homes, excellence should be rewarded.

+ Dedicated Customer Service Officers who actually care about customers and practical designs

- Can't think of any

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 19 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2009

Having to chase / scream at them constantly... even talking directly to GM in queensland seems to have had no effect.... as an investment home builder, have already given ten builds TO SOMEONE ELSE, as they are BAD.... standard build time in the industry is 16-20 weeks. I'm now looking at 35 weeks........ STAY AWAY.

+ finish, look and design of houses

- SLLLLOOOOWWWW - some work not up to spec.

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2009

Orbit Homes scores very well in comparison with other builders.
They are very helpful, provide proper advice, answer all telephone calls.
I think they have a great power of knowledge in building industry.

+ Orbit Homes offered us a solution that none of other builders in Melbourne could come up with. We needed a quality house to be built on a small land and with limited budget. Besides that there was a fire hydrant and easement preventing us to get a permission from town planner. Orbit has hundreds of designs. They navigated us through dozens of them and explained clearly the difference, implications etc.
They also helped us to find a finance.
Builders were responsible people and good professionals. When they made a mistake with one of the walls, they fixed it same day without any affect on the costs or schedule.
Our home was finished in 24 weeks in 2007. Since that time we enjoy every moment living in it! thank you Orbit!

- I think that bricklayers could wear suits and ties

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 12 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2009

we bought a new house[ as an investment property] from Orbit Homes in 2003.Were charged $299,000.The current market value is around $250,000-$260,000.Strongly feel we were ripped off.How many other people are in the same boat.This company should be investigated by the appropriate Statutory body. Took longer to complete construction than on contract.Keep well away from this company

+ Very little.A lot of smooth talk ,prior to construction.

- Poor management. Poor workmanship.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 36 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

We are sick to death of babysitting them on this project - if we aren't there every weekend they are building the house completely wrong. I have to email the customer service person on mondays with the mistakes that were made during the last week so they can be rectified. Some of these include incorrect fencing, wrong design of landscaping, incorect areas getting concreted, incorrect colour of concrete, wonky fencing, unstable retaining walls, O.R.G and pipes placed in the wrong position, etc. We had a building inspector come through who found gaps in the roof where you could see the sunlight through!

I now believe 100% that our house was built with next to no supervision from Orbit staff. We've had four supervisors so far. The first three quit during the process. The latest one hasn't even seen the display house and has no idea what he's building - not that it matters because he's been on holidays for weeks.

They will try to bully you. They will try to ignore you. They will try everything in their power to exclude you from the process. They treat you terribly. They blame the weather for delays but if you go to the house on a perfectly sunny day there will be no one there working.

We've taken our problems past customer service, past the building supervisor, past the supervisors manager to the general manager of the brisbane office and we're still waiting.

+ Still nothing - aside from what is, I believe, an honest attempt by the manager to see the house get finished finally. Although he hasn't been successful- This is an update to my previous review on April 28th, 2008. Just to prove to everyone how terrible they are--- We have still not moved in

- See below ---

And whatever you do make sure you get an independant building inspector through before you go to final payment!!

16 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 26 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

Get a few handy mates together and do the job yourself...you couldn't do any worse.
I see in the ratings I can only go as low as "poor", so read that as "s...house" !!

+ Liked the layout of the display home. The finish on the display home was better than most.

- Where do I start. This page isn't big enough !
1. Took 4 months to draw up contract
2. Took 3 months for their own certifier to approve plans.
3. Did not start construction for 3 months after approval received
4. We paid to have our large block contoured in a certain way...they did it their way.
5. Roof tiles had to be removed and replaced because they "forgot" the sarking under the tiles.
6. Wrong bricks used...refused to replace them with correct bricks
7. All windows & doors had to be removed including surrounding brickwork because they were all installed at the wrong level.
8. Roof trusses weren't even, so internal ceiling had more waves in it than the Pacific Ocean.
9. Kitchen was made in Melbourne and shipped to Brisbane. Obviously no one had laid it out to check it before shipping it...because it didn't fit. While trying to rectify their stuff up, they chipped the laminex and just covered it up with a bit of filler.
10. Wrong oven fitted...now they have to rebuild that part of the kitchen to accommodate the right oven which is bigger
11. Windows and sliding door lay in the dirt for nearly 6 months before being installed. Sliding door was damaged and someone did a bit of panel work on it with a hammer.
12. Tradespeople were dirty and untidy, leaving food scraps and empty cartons all over the house and throwing cigarette butts around everywhere. There was no garbage cage on the job so left over bits were just throw around all over the site.
13. When brickwork was replaced around refitted windows and doors, it looked like they'd got a few kids from the local kindergarten to do the work.
14.After signing the contract in August 2007, they gave themselves nearly a year, until July 2008, to finish the job. It is now 29th September and it's still not finished.

26 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 20 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

While initially the construction of the house went according to plan, it died down after "lock up stage". The reasons (building boom) for this that was given to us seems not realistic as other houses in the area built by Orbit went ahead.
It appeared to us that we were kept quiet with very little work done to the house a couple of hours a week.
Our advice is to set down your conditions before signing a contract with Orbit after all you are the customer. If Orbit doesn't agree, look for another builder.
Keep a close eye during construction and keep ringing!!!!

+ the design of the house was good and suited us

- The start of construction went ok up to "lock-up" stage when most of the money was paid. Then it virtually stopped with little work done to the house for nearly 3 months. It took many phonecalls to get something done or answers.
The building site looks neglected and messy.
Many minor mistakes were made mainly wrong orders.
Too many different supervisors (4) were in charged during constructions causing unnecessery delays, vital information (names and contact numbers of trades people) were lost etc.
Promised completion date (before christmas) was not up held leaving us to make different accommodation arrangements.

20 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 23 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

It took us about 4 months to even get started with Orbit as the first site manager was incompetent and couldn’t find power on the site, it was sitting in a conduit where it always is! When we did get started our slab was poured short on one side so our frame hung off the slab by about 6 inches on one side.

The only time work has been done on site is when we have called through to the head office and spoken to the CEO of the company, even then it’s only an hour or two per week by the odd contractor here and there. He was nice on the phone but never called us back or ever took any action to rectify our issues (their problems start at the top).

All the work that has been done looks to have been completed by unskilled or apprentice labour and I think I could have done a better job than most of them. I think some of the homes in Asia that are 200 years old are in better shape than our newly built home, which we are living in but is yet to be completed (only 4 months past contract date).

If you are considering building with Orbit I truly hope you read this comment because if you sign a contract with them you are condemning yourself to 12-18 months of torture & stress! Their senior managers don’t care, their local managers don’t care, their site managers don’t care and I know that their contractors don’t care either. Please don’t waste your money with these cowboys like we did.

+ Good design that suited our needs. Great salesman who has now left the company due to pathetic management, processes etc

- Too many to list here but a few - 4 site managers, lengthy delays, sub standard work and finish inside & to many broken promises.

23 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 27 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

Our experience with Orbit was very stressful, above everything already mentioned the house was delayed by 7 weeks being finished, the brickwork around the whole house looks like a child had done it, took a long time to get them to do the little things that needed doing at the end to complete the house. I would never recommend Orbit based of the quality of the house unless your prepared to fix up alot of their shoddy work yourselves. Their very good at selling the product but poor on their delivery!

+ The only postitive was dealing with the salesperson at the beginning as he was quite professional.

- Absolute crap workmanship, site manager making excuses about not being able to find available tradesmen to do the job, Brickwork was so bad they had to pull it down and redo it, and it was still so bad we had to render it, They painted the whole house the wrong colour to what we chose, the tiles had to be ripped up because they were the wrong ones, the window frames are so bowed that our plantation shutters wouldn't fit in them, we had to repaint the skirting boards as they had not been sanded and painted properly, All our gutters are leaking during rain periods, the doors all shake if there is a breeze in the house as they haven't been fitted properly, the quality of the painting done in the house was so bad we had to repaint the whole house!

27 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 26 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

My only advice to any prospective client of Orbit, do not sign anything, turn away and select another builder. These guys are complete rubbish. Pay a bit more and get quality for your dollar. As mentioned on every review the quality of work is very dubious, all labour and materials are horribly below par. Do not waste your money on these losers. Sign with these idiots and you'll spend your life ringing up and complaining then of course falling on deaf ears. They are dodgy, have no accountability, and I hope they get revealed on national television for the shisters they truly are. They should have their builder's license revoked.

+ Cheap.

- You get EXACTLY what you pay for.

26 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

Spare yourself a lot of headache. Look somewhere else. Our next step will be to get the BSA and Master Builders Association involved. Rating them a 1 is like a complement.

+ Good value for money. Professional advice and treatment by sales rep. Plan adjusted easily for our specific needs.

- Admin staff abusive and rude. Work will only be done when threats are made. Building site never cleaned during process. Bad workmanship in bathroom - ceiling board misaligned and does not meet cornish. Response to communication slow or non-existant. Building foreman ignores phone calls. Could not speak to him at all. Everything are left half completed for weeks on end. The roof was erected during September, of which parts is not completed. So also the gables, awnings and built-ins. The mobile toilet has been removed and the contractors are using our patio as a urinal - smelly. The bricks have been permanently stained by contractors washing equipment at outside tap. The temporary downpipes disintigrated at the first shower, leaving the area around the slab looking like a swamp. Due to the long time it takes to complete, the regrowth is higher than 3 meters.

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 25 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

ignorant arrogant idiotic poor quality no customer service it will take at least 14 months to finsih although they say 6 no communication stay away from this builder at all costs please stay away

+ you must be joking

- anything a builder is meant to provide they did not

25 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 38 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2009

Stop writing your own reviews Orbit. It's obivous that the 14th of Feb entry is your own. Pathetic. It's the only positive one there. There aren't any positive comments about them on this site because everyone you speak with who have built through them will tell you that even the staff working there want to leave as the company is poorly organised. The GM in Brisbane has no idea how to run the place and they just promote incompetent staff because no one decent wants to work for them. They finished our house Sept 07, however they are still completing things that weren't finished properly. But we have to keep chasing them up. They promise things will be done and then they say, no its fine the way it is so we won't fix it now. They should be ashamed of themselves. Don't build with them. They are hopeless from the first stage onwards. I don't even think they are worth a rating 1 on this site.

+ There is none. You pick a design you really like, the display looks good, but when they build you a house, it is poor workmanship all over it.

- Everything. Don't build with Orbit Homes. They don't provide any customer service, all the managers lie to you and you have to chase everything up with them. The Brisbane Office is terrible.

16 people found this helpful, do you? Yes