Good monitor and customer service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2017

It seems most baby monitors have pretty bad reviews (including the SC710) but we gave this one a go anyway.

We've used it now for almost two years and we've been perfectly happy with it: it's done the job well enough for the price. The range, picture and sound are good enough and easy to set up and use. And it's survived being dropped and knocked a few times too.

Recently the night vision on the camera went but Oricom sent a replacement quickly and without question. You can't beat that level of service.

We'd definitely buy one again and are actually considering another camera as number two is well on the way.

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Design counter intuitive and impractical

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2017

We purchased the Oricom 710 digital video monitor and an extra camera. We have installed one camera in each of our children's bedrooms. After using the device for 9 months I have several criticisms.
1. Poor range.
The farther away of the two bedrooms (which is only down the hall) is constantly dropping out of range. It happens around every second night. I called customer service and the only advice they had was to check all the aerials were up. They're up, but the problem remains.
2. Reconnecting the out of range camera WILL wake your baby!!
It's a complex, time critical process which is virtually impossible to complete silently in the dark. If you don't hit the right button on the camera in the child's room within around 10 seconds, the monitor starts a high pitched alarm style beeping. Just what you want next to your sleeping baby's bed in the middle of the night when the monitor has fallen out of range. Again.
3. Two cameras = bright light all night !
In single camera mode, the monitor screen goes to sleep if the child is not making any noise, then "wakes up" it they stir. However I've been using the monitor in scan mode between two cameras, and in this mode it never goes to sleep. I find the flickering all night disturbing
4. Too easy to accidentally press "lullaby" button and start music up in child's room!
Yes, this button sits innocuously right beside the button used to switch between cameras when one child stirs in the middle of the night

To sum up, I feel it's highly unlikely that this product was designed by a person who has had to manage a sleeping baby, or that it was tested on a sleeping baby!

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Becky, thanks for your message. We are sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with your SC710. Regarding the range of the unit, the SC710 is measured up to 150m in line of sight and we... read more »

Would be better off FaceTiming my baby

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

Kicking myself I didn't read the consumer reviews first. Waste of money!
RANGE RANGE RANGE
Definitely don't risk buying it if you live in a new high rise apartment. Due to the configuration of my apartment and known impedances my monitor has a range of about 5-10m. I can't get reliable range in my kitchen. And basically get no range in my living room and master bedroom. Our apartment is split in two. Every area past the kitchen is past our internet modem and gets blocked. So the parent unit only gets signal in the spare room and baby room (mmm helpful). I now sleep in the spare room so I can at least use the expensive monitor but I have definitely not bought any peace-of-mind.
No joke, I would of been better off FaceTiming.

Purchased at: Toys R Us / Babies R Us

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Sophie, thanks for getting in touch. We are sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing at the moment regarding the range of the SC710 and would recommend that you give our dedicated Custom... read more »

Very poor customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2017

When it worked it was adequate but once it went wrong trying to get support was arduous, time consuming and very frustrating. They said they will send me a form so that I can return it and have it "assessed". There was no indication of how long this would take and in the meantime I don't have a monitor. This is very unsatisfactory, surely the simplest thing would be for me to the unit into a local stockist and have them assess it and provide me with a replacement while the unit is being assessed/repaired, but I guess that is too easy.

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Peter, thanks for getting in touch. We are sorry to hear of all of the issues you have experienced and would ask that you please contact Customer Support on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, and quo... read more »

Great until now...

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

I was fairly happy with my Oricom 710 which I bought when I had my first baby just over two years ago - I made sure to do my research as we knew we wanted to have three kids close together. It was working absolutely fine up until yesterday when the monitor sound just stopped working. It has been looked after so well, no bumps or drops and it is always on charge. So dissapointed as we rely heavily on this baby monitor with our 7 month old who sleeps downstairs in a fairly sound proof room as not to wake anyone else and also to ensure no one wakes her. I had to check several times last night that she was ok. Very frustrating as we simply can not live without a monitor.

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Michelle, thanks for the message. For this one, we would recommend that you please get in contact with Customer Support as they will be able to troubleshoot the issue with you over the phone, an... read more »

Melbourne

• 2 answers

Exceeded my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2017

I didn't have high hopes to find a decent video monitor based on reviews so I didn't want to buy the most expensive one seeing as they all seemed flawed. I've been using the SC710 now for 3 months and it's exceeded my expectations. Lots of great features: thermometer, you can adjust sensitivity (how quickly it notifies you of movement/sound) and how much noise the monitor makes ( both features great for day vs night use) and image/sound is clear. Great range also- no probs in our 2 storey house.

Purchased at: The Baby Gallery

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Nathalie, thanks for the message. We are glad you have enjoyed your experience with the Secure710 baby monitor and thanks for the feedback on all of the features you have made use of. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Gold Coast

• 2 answers

Not the best product

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

This monitor works some of the time however the sound cuts out quite often, the screen freezes for periods of time. It will quite often show my daughter lying in one position and then switch to her lying in a completely different position. The other frustrating thing about this monitor is that it always goes out of range. The camera is setup in the room next door. This isn't a cheap product so you would expect it to work properly.
When the monitor does work correctly, it's a great product. But that doesn't happen often.

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of the experiences you have had with the Secure710 and would like to assure you that these issues are unusual. Fortunately, the SC710 has an i... read more »

Sound stopped working after 6 months

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2017

Extremely unhappy with this product. We purchased the baby monitor along with breathing pads in a pack and have only been using for 6 months, already the battery on the monitor has gone, and now the sound is no longer working properly, even when it is plugged into the power source. Not happy. Purchase something that is longer lasting

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. We are sorry to hear of the experience you have had with the Secure710 and assure you that this is out of the ordinary. The SC710 has an included 3 year warra... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment

Verified Purchase

Major fail for Oricom! Zero peace of mind! Zero safety!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2017

This is an absolute fail for Oricom and they don't care! They don't care that they are selling a faulty product, they don't care that i can't hear my baby, they don't care full stop! I rang them requesting a refund, they don't deal with refunds, you have to go back to place of purchase. I go to place of purchase, they don't deal with refunds, the product has to be returned to Oricom & here goes the merry-go-around of the circus that is Oricom International!

For a product that RRP's at $230, this simply putting it is not good enough! I am hard of hearing, this is not a luxury purchase for me - all i want is to hear my baby cry so he is not in danger and i can attend to him as soon as he wakes... Oricom do not care! I am heartbroken for my baby when i realise he has woken up & distressed because the Oricom 710 is again frozen in time and has not alerted me to his cries.

Save yourself the heartbreak, go buy a monitor from a reputable ethical company that values their customers and will give you peace of mind and places your babies safety as their number 1 priority.

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi there, sorry to hear of the experience you have been having with your Secure710 Digital Video Monitor. We would love to follow this up and review the case, so if you could please email marketing... read more »

I have emailed you regarding the replacement camera received. Again, it is not working! Constantly out of range & freezing. I await your response.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2017

Extremely unreliable product. I have bought 4 of these monitors for my two children and they keep not working. The sound randomly stops working so that the baby is crying loudly but the monitor is not picking up the sound- that has happened to 3 of them. The other one keeps beeping out of range for no reason. I would have bought a different brand monitor after the first two broke but am so time poor that I didn't have time to research other options and I like/am used to the features of the monitor. This time I definitely won't make the same mistake again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Oricom Official

Hello Sam, we are sorry to hear of your experience with your Oricom monitors. This seems extremely unusual to have purchased 4 monitors which have all failed. Have you contacted our support team an... read more »

Awful Product & Awful Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

The monitor is awful & unreliable. It goes out of range all the time and the screen constantly freezes which is so dangerous cos you think your baby is peacefully sleeping but in fact its this dud product frozen in time and you get no vibrating, no noise, no warning that your baby ins't asleep anymore.

Customer service dont care. You have to go through rounds of troubleshooting, you then pay to return the product, they might send you out a new camera & the vicious circle of a faulty dud product starts again... They do not want to refund the product. They seem to miss the point that customers cannot hear their babies and the product is not upto standard. I am bitterly bitterly disappointed with Oricom.

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Michelle, sorry to hear of your experience, and we assure you that this is out of the ordinary.We would love the opportunity to restore you faith in our brand and range of tried and tested produ... read more »

Battery life doesn't last long

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

Hello,
The monitor is great and we have never had an issue with it however we use this monitor daily and it sits mainly in the charge dock but once removed we have noticed over the last month that it doesn't hold its charge for Very long, after an hour the battery flashes red and it beeps... is this normal??!

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. Glad to hear that you have enjoyed the Secure710 and have had a good experience using it. Unfortunately, it sounds like there is an issue with the battery and... read more »

Adelaide

• 2 comments

Peace of mind

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2017

I purchased this monitor over 2 years ago and continue to use it currently. Its perfect for my needs AND wants! The picture is clear, plus has a zoom option (very handy for getting closer look at newborn bubs), night vision of course, plays lullaby's, displays room temperature, night light, and my favorite - parent talk back - so if your baby starts getting restless, you can comfort them without actually having to go in there - great for overnight, or for the toddler who doesn't want to go to bed just yet :-) Its very easy to set up and use, but best of all - it doesn't continually go off on the slightest noise or the opposite and not let me know if my baby's awake - its a perfect balance for me.

Victoria

• 3 answers

Great unit!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2017

The oricom sc710 is great! I admit when i first got the 2nd camera for it, it took me a while to get used to it and the instructions weren't clear enough on how to connect them and how to turn the screen off etc but ince i got the hang of it, it's been fabulous.

I read a few reviews here some saying that the camera is always lit up with more than one camera...if you actually just press the power button (dont hold it down) the screen will go black so its not bright overnight. It will still have the white noise background but if you just turn the volume down a bit you honestly wont even hear it.

I also read another review saying that the second camera was black...again while that camera is on screen if you press the power button (not holding it down to turn it off just press it) off and on again you will find the screen will then light up.

I've had this for over 3 years now and it still works great. Only recently have i had a little trouble with the reception cutting out in my sons room because he got hold of the parent unit and snapped the antenna but 95% of the tome still works perfectly. If it does cut out i just wiggle the antenna around and then it works again. No biggie.

It is a great unit and i love that you can connect up to 4 cameras. I always have and always will recommend this camera system to anyone i can.

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Perfect, reliable product from a reputable customer service focussed company

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

The monitor has been used daily for our son for almost two years. Great monitor and reliable with a clear picture.
We moved our son in to his own cot in his own room at 8 weeks old and this monitor gave me the reassurance to be able to sleep knowing he was safe and I could check on him without disturbing him.

Purchased at: Toys R Us / Babies R Us

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Melynda, Thanks for taking the time to review the SC710 for us. We are glad you are satisfied with your monitor. All the best, Oricom Baby Care

I also just want to add the customer service from Oricom has been wonderful seriously cannot fault the product or company. Have recommended the monitor to all my pregnant friends who have also now purchased the same monitor.

• 5 helpful votes

Trust the reviews!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2017

I've purchased this product yesterday and I've had nothing but problems with the cameras (I've purchased the model with 2 cameras included).
Issues I've had:
1. Camera one's picture will be a black screen. It shows full bars as being connected and the temperature of the room but no picture.
2. Camera two keeps displaying 'out of range' even though it's closer to the base unit than camera one!

I'm returning this unit tomorrow morning.

The reviews are right, it's GARBAGE!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi John, sorry to hear that your SC710 is not working as it should be. If you have not already tried, it is best to relink the cameras and see what happens. If the problem persists, then swap the c... read more »

Does the job

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2017

I bought this monitor as it had great reviews, I'm left underwhelmed.
Pros - can have multiple cameras
- scan option to view different cameras every few seconds

Con - my battery only lasted 15 months before it expanded and needed replacing
- screen too small
- dropped out of range a lot
- zoom is pixelated

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Comments
Oricom Official

Hi Nat, thanks for the review. We are sorry to hear that the SC710 has been dropping out of range alot, and would love the opportunity to troubleshoot this issue with you over the phone. Please cal... read more »

Wellington

• 2 helpful votes

Great customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

Great customer service!! My camera was fuzzy when in night mode, contacted customer service and no hassles fixing our problem! Thanks so much. Defiantly recommend. Great wee product, plenty of features and good value for money. Really happy! Will defiantly buy a second camera when we want baby number two!

Brisbane

2 parent units and 2 cameras

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Hi. I have 2 parent units and 2 cameras. I have tried to have both parent units registered to both cameras but only one works. When I register the second parent unit the first one then isn't registered anymore. Is it possible to have 2 parent units registered to 2 cameras?

Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 9 helpful votes

Its Good!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2017

This is the best thinks ever if you got a double storey home as you don't have to be worried what you baby is up to upstairs while you are on your daily chores down stairs. Its got a enough functions like temperature gauge, Night mode, talk back and the battery lasts very well.

1 of 9 pages