Very happy with OVO

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2018

Have been with OVO for about a year now, and they're great value for a prepaid service. I have the $44.95 for 25GB mobile broadband (since discontinued) and the $9.95 mobile plan. Both plans suit my needs perfectly in terms of price and data/call amounts. When I've used the live chat to speak with customer service, they have always been helpful and speedy!
Only small negative is that the usage page is very bare bones and only provides extremely basic info on data use on a pie chart. Would love to see this evolve to showing more detailed info, such as a breakdown of how much data used per day, how much you have available to use per day on average for rest of month, maybe even an hourly breakdown etc. Otherwise overall very happy!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

100gb 4g data plan

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

100gb of data sounds great but in this day and age for home use it ain't enough. Unfortunately if you run out you can only purchase 500mb or 1gb till the month rolls over.. Barely enough to send a few emails

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey MarkyMark73, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We totally understand where you are coming from mate! We are working with our network provider to not only get larger data plans,... read more »

Sydney

• 1 answer

Verified Customer

A Telco that actually knows how to Communicate!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

Been with Ovo (previously TPG and Optus) for a few months on different plans. Coverage is as good/better than TPG & Optus, rarely if ever drops out. Usually have full 4G coverage in Sydney, Central Coast and up to the mid-north coast, with a few black spots along the freeway for a minute or two.

I'm on prepaid, value is awesome once you step up above the tiny plan, and staff are always responsive and super helpful on the webchat. So far I've had around 8 questions including changing a plan and they're able to sort it all out while you chat with them.

Far cry from some other telco's who don't seem to realise they're in the business of communication. Ovo's a breath of fresh air and the prices are spot on. Can't fault them.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Danny R!

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! Great to hear that you are getting some great reception and love our webchat! We always do our best to get to all customers quickly and do what you need at that time :D

OVO

Excellent value for basic plan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2018

We switched over to OVO for our spare phone, so wanted best value for a basic plan. This is perfect for us, better value than TPG. We are not big data users on our phones (so their data allowance on their $10 is enough for us).
We are happy with their customer support, got through a few minor teething issues withut hassle. Would recommend!

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey there Vickster!

Thanks for your awesome review! We always do our best to make sure the ride is smooth and happy to hear that we have been able to sort out any teething issues quickly!

OVO

Overcharged, service not provided, no ability to track usage.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2018

Recharged twice and both times CC has been charged but no data was credited. 1st recharge was only a small topup but did not show in app. Web chat staff corrected data but app never showed top up data so there was no way to check remaining data during that top up period.

The 2nd top up was for the monthly 100gb on the same service number. Cc was charged, aoo gave "successfully updated" message but again no data was credited.

Web chat staff then claimed transaction was rejected and required screenshots of transaction to be emailed.
A few hours after emailing proof of charge i received a call from ovo staff asking for my credit card number again so they can 'search for' the transaction.
An email was then received telling me to email them again after management had reviewed the issue. No confirmation of charges, no attempt to credit purchased data, just a an email to tell me to email them again later.

Very poor and unprofessional service. I won't be using them again.

Sydney

Private message

low price maximize your usage

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

OVO are great. I've used them for 6 months now. I live in Sydney and I have literally never not had a signal. Their data pricing is very competitive and their customer service is great.

I guess is because they are using optus network

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Pose :D

Great to hear you are getting signal wherever you go and great customer service! We always strive to ensure we are always easy to contact and helpful to all :D

Perth

has a great kids plan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

i currently have the $10 per month OVO plan that comes with unlimited text, $200 dollars worth of national calls and 1G of data. For its price it's a great plan and perfectly suits my needs since i rarely use all my data.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Steph!

Thanks for the great review! Appreciate you taking the time to let the world know :D
Love having you with OVO!

No tracking number, I paid express, been 3 days

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

I paid for modem, 100gb and express post. Took them two days to dispatch my order(whats the point in paying express post, I was told would be dispatched same day as I payed) now I've been waiting for a tracking number all day, no help from customer service, they just blame their warehouse. I paid for express so it would be here before the weekend. Now it's Friday afternoon and still don't even have a tracking number. I haven't even got my service yet I'm disappointed with OVO. their call centre is no help. I just want a bloody tracking number which comes with my express post. I paid for it, where is it? Don't go with ovo if you absolutely need to. They are a joke. Worst service ever. And I ain't even got it yet.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Matt, Sorry to hear about your experience. We do our best to ship all orders the same day, though we do have a cut off time which pushed your order out to the next's day shipping. I can see y... read more »

Ok but not good

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

I had my mobile service with OVO but decided to change to Amaysim in December 2017 for a much better deal. The phone was transferred in the first few days of January this year, but OVO still charged me for the whole month of January, even tho I was no longer connected with them. I complained about this and asked for a pro-rata refund, but their response was 'bad luck mate we don't do refunds. You should have cancelled the auto renewal'. However, I was told when I applied with Amaysim that they would transfer the number and cancel the OVO service, and I should not cancel the OVO service myself. I checked with the TIO, and they checked the OVO terms and conditions and said OVO were within their rights not to give me a refund, so I had to accept that. However, I was not happy about paying for a whole month for nothing, and when recently speaking with Amaysim about another matter I told them this story, and they gave me a credit for the whole month of January, even tho they had no obligation legally to do so. So the end of this story is that OVO are now getting this review, and hopefully bad karma for being so hard hearted (legalistic) towards their customers, and Amyasim are getting the kudos!

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Tom, Sorry to hear about your experience with porting out and recharging. As we do run a pre paid service, we are not able to offer refunds for porting out and refunding for unused periods, ... read more »

South Morang

Ovo mobile

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2018

Ovo mobile is great and very helpful and easy to use and follow instructions and they keep you updated when your data is getting low

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Robyn!

Thanks for the great feedback! Happy to hear you're loving OVO :D

BENTLEIGH EAST

Verified Customer

Useless customer service!!! Do not have ability to solve issues!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2018

I was trying to change over from another provider only because my current provider does not have the international roaming option. Waited until my current service end and applied porting out my number to OVO one night. Nothing happened that night. It was acceptable, because I understand people will be off work and need rest. So, waited until the next morning, still nothing happened. Contacted the help line. Was told there was some computer glitch and the request was not generated, and needed to send to technical team to have a look. Ok, that was understandable, sometimes computer can have problem. Waited until afternoon, still no response. Contacted the staff again, they said should be finalised within 24 hours, so wait until the next morning, and they could not tell me anymore information about how and why this could happen.

Then, another morning, which is this morning, still no news at all!! I contacted the help line and still saying cannot help me and the maximum porting time could be 3 business days! After some chat, they told me my current provider was not responding the porting request. So, I contacted my current provider and ask whether they received the porting out request and why not releasing my number. They said they will investigate. Hang off the phone, called OVO again, and was told porting was successful couple of minutes ago and need to wait for couple of hours for the service to be activated.

I was relieved and waiting and waiting.... Still cannot use the service! So, again, service centre for sure. Now telling me porting successful does not mean the service has been transferred?!?! I then called my current provider and ask what is going on. And, I was told there is no porting out request from ovo at all!!! I was so angry. I was lied by OVO staff over and over again!

I then contacted OVO, and only this time the guy is saying, oh, I will send another escalation note to the team, but it towards the weekend, you will need to wait until Monday. What the hell?! Do you know what escalation means?!?! Why do not do this before but only waited I confronted you for lying?! Apparently there is no technical team for sure! They cannot even call the team but only send note!

I then asked them stop porting out my number and cancel the order and refund me. The guys said, as always, I will send a note but I cannot guarantee the porting will not take place. Are you serious?!?! So, what can you do?! Are you only a robot and only can repeat?!

My current provider is not with Optus, so it should only take couple of hours. I really have no idea what is going on in this company, but they are not competent for sure!!! Useless customer service team!!!

Comments

With no surprise, the port out had been processed with Optus, but OVO deleted my info already!! Why you acted so fast this time?!?! Now I have lost the recharge with my previous carrier and I cannot even recharge on the OVO network! What a joke!!!

Final update. After all those issues, I finally got a call from the team leader the day before yesterday. I asked for 2 months free because I lost the recharge for my previous carrier. The answer w... read more »

Hey there,

Really sorry to hear about your experience with OVO. We wish you all the best with your new carrier and take on board all feedback to improve customers experiences moving forward.

Spring Creek

• 3 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 27 helpful votes

Best so far of a Bad Bunch

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2018

OK So far This mob have been great, first they can count, the sign up was easy and the price was OK. Now so far as the Lousy outdated, incompetent and overpriced communication provider's we have in Australia this one is looking OK. The Dashboard to manage your services is clear and easily accessible, the sign up simple and the payment options Good. If I had a negative it is that the auto recharge check box is a little hard to find to uncheck and it is on by default! All in all a big big thumbs up. Just remember these cheaper carriers do throttle back their Main Carriers service, in My case I found nothing worth mentioning since the Price was right I got very good value for money. Go OVO!

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Len1010 :D

Really appreciate your great feedback here! Always glad to hear that you are getting a great product at an awesome price!

Verified Customer

Great value but top up options terrible

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2017

Purchased the 100gb data for $69. Fantastic value for our camping holiday with three kids streaming Neflix. We churned through the data fairly quickly. The only option to add more data was to pay $10 per gb which was simply too expensive or purchase another SIM. I would have been happy to buy a new SIM but it can't be delivered over the New Year long weekend. I am disappointed that the SIM I have can't be reloaded with a chunk of data. Left with no option but to purchase data through my mobile service provider as it is the less expensive option.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey AOB, Thanks for your awesome review! We do understand the frustration however with not being able to recharge before the 30 day period ends, as this is a restriction from our provider. We are... read more »

• 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Was okay unbelievably slow now

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2017

On Mobile Plan Large
What I got:
0.07 mbps downloads
0.00 mbps uploads

This is no internet and I will not continue with you.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Lucille,

Really shocking to hear about your speeds! Please get in touch with our CS team and we can go over some troubleshooting as speeds like that should not be happening!

Its okay
I think my area has bad reception
I have since changed to telstra

Newcastle

• 1 comment
  • 8 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer

This startup company is good and bad

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2017

The product is prepaid mobile and prepaid broadband plans using the optus 4G network. My experience has been:

1. First tested optus prepaid huawei modem, half price from coles.
2. Reception for optus in suburbia Newcastle NSW was excellent and fast
3. Proceeded to OVO 50GB plan, free sim with recharge voucher at 7/11
4. Changed APN on optus modem to as per OVO website
5. Product worked exactly the same as optus, constantly 70 to 100 MBps with SpeedTest app.

Product is excellent
However

Ran out of the 50gb 2 weeks into the recharge. The user app is clearly in very early stages. Very clunky and is Web based anyway. Rang customer service. You can only recharge every 30 days EVEN if you run out early. The operator advised this was due to part of the optus agreement.

I ask if I could upgrade to the 100gb plan. The operator advised yes, but only when the 30 days recharge voucher was up as advised before - because of the optus agreement.

The operator did however confirm when asked, I could go to the 7/11 servo And Start up a new SIM (free as you only pay the recharge amount) and chuck away the previous sim card.

Get it together OVO, the whole point of prepaid is to PAY AS YOU GO and refusing ME as your CUSTOMER to give you more money is ridiculous. I know your company is new and still developing.

I will persevere as a customer because when the service is working the broadband is great. Netflix HD streams instantly with no buffering. Despite the 30 day issue when I'm on the 100gb plan I'll be sure to go under each month.

Comments

Hi guys, after reading comments of poor and slow service, it seems any network other than telstra can be completely hit and miss. As my SIM is exclusively in a full size 4G router, it is a fixed in... read more »

OVO Mobile Official

Hey Mate, Sorry to hear about your issues with speed. We unfortunately have restrictions in place with Optus that allow us to recharge the services once every 30 days. Many of our customers do ha... read more »

Frequent drop out and speed drop. Terrible.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2017

Very inconsistent mobile broadband service. Speed is very slow during the day and bang avarage at night. Some days are ok but many are with constant drop outs. Very much a regretful buy from me.

My phone with Virgin also using Optus is much better than this garbage.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey A.n, Really sorry to hear you are have speed issues. We do not limit, or have different speeds from Optus or re sellers as we use the same network. Please get in tough with our CS team, and w... read more »

Termeil

• 1 answer

Verified Customer

Over promise, FAIL to deliver, just another Telco reselling a so called premium brands 3G network?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Moved from one Optus reseller to OVO, testing the mobile SIM plan first before buying 100GB mobile data plan and potentially more phone plans and have no joy.

1.5 GB data disappeared, but cannot check where it went.
SMS (unlimited) will not send and apparently not received.
Phone calls don't connect, and incoming calls fail (evidence by way of callers screen shots).
Signal drops out or falls to a general 3G 2 bars, way below the standard Optus signal in this region.
Voicemail will simply not activate despite "resets" by technicians and assurances it "works".
OVO dashboard will not load on PC using ANY network, waited 4 hours before giving up, but messaging support worked? Copy kept of the exchange too, it seems there is only one weekend operative who also sent 2nd level support email after first initial and ongoing voicemail issues. Hopelessly under resourced it would seem.

Nothing is resolved other than a promise someone will call, and another example of you pay for what you get, although with Telco's and NBN they are all the same it seems, over promise and under deliver, if at all.

I am all for giving a newbie a go, if only in the hope there maybe some scintilla of service, this is another dud.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey David, Really sorry to hear about your experiance. To touch on a few of these points; Due to the Privacy Act we are unable to show exactly what has used the data, though we have sent you t... read more »

Thank you for your email OVO, the detailed response was sent well before your post on this site, and so far, no response to my response. Thank you for calling once too, I was not quite quick eno... read more »

OVO have offered a refund if or when I port to another telco, acknowledging I may be part of the problem i think that is pretty decent of them, thank you

• 3 comments
  • 5 answers

Verified Customer

Mobile broadband plan is excellent value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2017

I purchased the broadband 100GB/month plan with the portable modem. Runs Optus 4G with no restrictions on speed. As I write this I'm getting 71Mbps. I purchased this as a replacement for my slowly deteriorating copper ADSL. I've given up on waiting for the NBN. Speed can drop to 15Mbps during busy periods but in general it has been a good replacement. The Huawei modem they sell runs both 2.4 and 5Hz.
I called support once when setting up the modem and they were very helpful.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey Vemo :D

Thanks for sharing your awesome experience with OVO! Sounds like you're really making the most of the 4G network :D

Thanks for joining!

Problems in regional NSW

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2017

Ordering was straightforward and getting setup was simple. I chose 365 plan as I need intermittent internet access.
Speeds were initially quite good at around 2Mbps but lately has dropped to below 3oo Kbps during the day.
This is mostly in Nambucca Heads and usually have a four bar signal.
Can get higher speeds around 2-4am so points to congestion problem.
I had high hopes for this service as had good reports from city dwellers only to be disappointed.
Telstra Mobile is still the only answer in regional areas it seems.

Comments
OVO Mobile Official

Hey there Phil, Really sorry to hear about your experience with speeds in your area :( This can come down to a number of factors including your hardware, though I have sent you a PM to have a ch... read more »

Brisbane

Terrible and useless service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2017

My partner and I just moved houses so we needed some prepaid data so we bought a sim card. First of all, on the package, it said 'mobile sim card from $9.95' so we bought that thinking we can change plan, upgrade to a different plan or recharge once activated. Unfortunately, you can't change plans until you finish your 30 days. Not only that, once I activated the sim card, I got an sms after 7 minutes from activating that I have completed the 1GB data (included in the mini mobile plan). I have used data on a little social media and browsed a few pages on the net and for some reason, finished all the data in 7 minutes. I contacted Ovo but they didn't help at all, they told me they will send me the data usage report. I got it after 2 days and all it gave me was "Data_used_in_oz - 1048849 KB". This is ridiculous and worst $10 I used for nothing. Will never use Ovo again, and do not recommend anyone.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes