ROCHESTER, VIC

Vessel: Pacific Jewel

Don't go with P&O - first cruise nightmare ----- New Guinea Island Encounter 10 days

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

We planned our cruise (Departing Sunday 28th October) as a celebration for three out of the four of us, turning the big 70 this year and to visit the Australian War museum on the island of Rabaul. We booked through an agent and the booking process went very smoothly, we arrived at the P&O Cruise terminal on the Brisbane borded the ship and were ready for the adventure. Sadly, from there it all went wrong, our departure was delayed because of strong winds in the river area - we finally departed 14hours late - travelling up the east coast we were informed by the captain that due to our late departure, he had decided to rearrange the planned trip and he had cancelled our visit to Rabaul - the jewel island of the trip "cancelled " The late departure Monday morning rather than Sunday evening, should not have caused the cancellation of the Rabaul schedule which was for the Thursday, other guest's had planned the Rabaul trip as a final reunion and memorial to the soldiers who died during the conflict on Rabaul.

A second island was also cancelled due to high tide swells - the Pacific Jewel is on its last legs, the ship is aged and very low tech, the rooms were a good size however the decor and furnishings were pas their use by date. We purchased an internet package to send pics to our friends ($75) for ten days only to find it wouldn't work - we spoke to the IT manager and he told us that it wasn't very good and also could not work in our room??? We received an immediate refund without question - bottled water was provided in our room ($5.00 a bottle) drinks were $7.50 for a beer and mixed drinks (vodka and soda) were $12.50 The entertainment was very low budget and the only shinning light of the trip were the staff - magnificent

We could not believe the captain cancelled Rabaul and yet kept the Conflict Islands schedule - the Conflict Islands are privately owned and has no permanent inhabitants, all of the people on the island are staff and everything is brought in and sold to the tourists at ridiculous prices the conflict islands ------- a conflict of interest!!!!!!!

Upon our return to Brisbane, we disembarked at the Fisherman's Wharf and not at the river terminal, and caught busses back to the terminal for our final (YES final goodbyes to P&0)

We met many seasoned cruisers and they all told us not to judge cruising by this trip - they all agreed it was the worst trip they had experienced and recommended other cruise lines over P&O.

Never again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

I paid $2000 for a 7 days Cruise Today is day 3 of my holiday.
For this money I got meals 3 times a day and a small cabin. All facilities are for extra cost and twice expensive than in land. A glass of wine $9 , beer $7.5 - $12 , massage $200 .
Never again, the worst holiday in my life.
I left my son in baby group and all what I can say is don't do my mistake. They don't now how to look after kids. I had completed for the situation which happened and the manager black listed him from baby group.
The worst holiday in my life.

Verified Customer Vessel: Pacific Jewel

Lies from Captain, Missed Ports, Extremely Disappointed.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

We saved hard and paid good money for this Cruise J846 from Brisbane to PNG.

We were really looking forward to this much earned break and were excited to explore PNG especially Rabaul.

The weather was beautiful, warm, sunny, and no wind. Perfect for our cruise.

Apparently, that was NOT how the Captain saw it. We left Brisbane 14 hours late. No sail away party. It took 3 days to get to PNG. Rabaul was CANCELLED. Kitava was CANCELLED. It took 2 days to sail back to Brisbane even with a diversion to Willis Island for a Medical Evacuation. Then to disembark at Fisherman's Island was the last straw.

The entertainment was minimal and shoddy. The food was medioca. The beds were hard. We wasted our money and time off, going on this cruise.

I am gob-smacked at the lies relayed to passengers regarding the bad weather. It was flat calm throughout. The general feeling from most passengers onboard was disappointment and disbelief. It was boring. There has been NO COMPENSATION or NO APOLOGIES from P&O.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. The room Stewards were marvelous, one solo male singer was amazing, the people at Kiriwina were lovely, Conflict Island was beautiful. The glass-bottom boat Marine Biologist was awesome.

I have travelled on P&O previously and raved about my last cruise. This cruise was terrible.

I am unlikely to sail on P&O again.

Come on P&O .... you could still get some of your customers back..... you know what you need to do !!!

Vessel: Pacific Jewel

Would never recommend P&O again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Both my husband and I work hard all year round to save for our holiday it is something to look forward to after struggling with everything that happens during the year.
The trip on the jewel to PNG on the 28 th of October was a cruise that I am embarrassed to say I was on the food was very disappointing and the entertainment was WHAT entertainment? The service on the top deck to get a drink well yeah that was a big hit and miss, half the time we had to go and get our drinks. There was a big screen and they didn’t even have some music playing while everyone was up there trying to make the best of a horrible time. The captain on this cruise was a liar and had no reason to depart on the Monday morning instead of the departure which was to be Sunday afternoon. The smaller ship the Aria left port last year in a huge storm no problems at all.
I feel P & O should be held responsible and give the passengers on this cruise a refund or some sort of compensation. The cruise number for this horrible holiday that I want to forget and feel like I haven’t had a holiday is J846.

Had been warned about P&O

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

We were on our 1st cruise with P&O and had been warned by parents in law (seasoned cruises) not to. But we didn’t listen! Our trip to PNG was booked through Flight Centre and we were rewarded with no extras. Booked a mini suite only because we wanted to ensure we had a balcony rail we could see through. Embarking was easy as we had priority boarding but were greeted with nobody! Had no idea where to go or what to do but worked out that we were to make our way to our suite. Room was brilliant with no complaints.
The cruise was late leaving, the Captain made ridiculous excuses and this just set the mood for the rest of the cruise. Missed ports, reduced speed (fuel saving?), no Captain’s Cocktail party (which we were promised), mediocre food and poor entertainment were just some of the disappointments. Don’t misunderstand. There were highlights. The 3 ports we stopped at were great, the people of PNG absolutely beautiful, the bands who provided the nightly entertainment fabulous, the Degustation dinner superb, and many of the staff helpful. Would I sail to PNG again? Absolutely. Would I go with P&O? Not likely. A Captain who was never seen and lied about why things happened the way they did does not inspire confidence in a Cruise line.

SUNSHINE COAST

Vessel: Pacific Jewel

Worse cruise experience ever.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Having cruised with P&O numerous times I was looking forward to cruising to PNG. Unfortunately this cruise was unsatisfactory & well below expectations. It was delayed 16 hours, there was no sail away party. The ship has been sold and the new owners were on board with paint samples, carpet samples, tape measures wandering around measuring things. 2 ports were missed, the main one being Rabual. The captain took 3 days to sail to PNG but only 2 to get back to Brisbane. We could have easily made it to Rabual. Entertainment was lacking. Food quality hit & miss. A huge disappointment in many ways. At the end we were herded into buses for a half hour trip back to the terminal. Not one passenger received a feedback survey to fill in. I guess P&O only like to receive positive feedback and knew there would be none from this unsatisfactory cruise. Would I recommend P&0. NO.
Prior to this cruise I would have said yes.
The cruise J846 to PNG was so unsatisfactory that a petition was started. Close to 300 signatures.

Vessel: Pacific Aria

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Disappointed. Cruised for 4 days waste of time. The food was poor quality.. looked good but tasted terrible, spent $200 on a massage and beauty treatment which wasn't at all great. Dined at a 'fine dining' restaurant and the food was a joke.. I feel like p&o invest more interest in pumping out marketing, deals, flyers.. anything which looks appealing to grab your attention and secure your business.. but simply don't deliver the results they promise. Its a rip off and a scam I'll never cruise with p&o again.

Loved it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2018

Our family of 4 just came back from a 7 day cruise to the pacific islands and we couldn’t be happier. We had amazing time. Boarding and disembarking processes were flawless, food was great and entertaining fantastic. My daughters loved the kids club so much they didn’t want to leave. The crew works very hard to give passengers a great holiday and we can’t thank them enough. All in all a great holiday that was really good value for money.

Tallong

• 4 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Vessel: Pacific Eden

This coming cruise 21 Mar 2019 is our second cruise with Pacific Eden.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2018

I am writing this review, as I was trying to find out about the category that we are booked into and just on our cruise above....and wanted to check the reviews, to see what people said. I saw so many disappointing reviews from people who were very unhappy on their cruise for different reasons. Well we are going on our second cruise with Pacific Eden (we have done many cruises and quite a few now with P&O) and we enjoyed our last cruise (and all of the other cruises) so much that we booked on Pacific Eden again and were very disappointed to see we will be on the last voyage for this ship as it will no longer be sailing, what a pity. We can only say that the ship company and the wonderful staff, made our holiday very special, the reason why we are going again on the same ship on above date. The last cruise we ended up on a Guarantee cabin, we were a bit nervous about not being able to select our cabin, but we were given a wonderful cabin mid ship, so we were so grateful. So we are not feeling so anxious this time about our booking which also ended up being a Guarantee cabin. I have not seen anyone complain about the Guarantee Cabin they had been given, so we are confident we will again be happy on our cruise on the Pacific Eden..We love cruising very much. It is the way to have a beautiful holiday. My husband and I are very excited about our next cruise to South East Asia. We will certainly......enjoy the last voyage on this lovely ship, before it finishes up. Happy cruising everyone, we honestly cannot find anything to complain about on our cruises with P&O, we love them.

Never again

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

Arrived at the Port in Brisbane only to be herded into a large shed for booking in. We queued along with the rest of them & when we finally got to the Counter to give our Credit card details for future purchases on the Ship, we were told my husband's Credit cards were no good as they didn't have his first name in full. This has never happened before & the Bank were the ones to both issue them & accept them. The Cruise was paid for with the Credit Card & so were Tours P&O booked prior.Luckily my husband had an Australian DEBIT card with his full Christian name on it. The next day we decided to see if there was any activity on our Account & they had debited us over AU$50.00 plus Credit Card fees. There were signs everywhere that said there are NO fees on DEBIT cards. Part of our Cruise deal was a Cabin Credit of AU$250.00 which was conveniently forgotten.So not only had they made a fraudelent debit they had no intention of honouring the agreed deal.

My husband then approached the Reception desk to ask why the Credit wasn't showing and they quite indignantly said "What $250.00 credit?" My husband then showed them the papers showing it on our 'Cruise Control' & the guy said "Where did you get that from?". "Off you site" my husband replied. Hubby was then told to come back after 7pm so the guy could talk to his Manager. They added AU$125.00 per person credit, which is NOT the same as AU$250.00 per Cabin. - Obvious mind games. They continued to add CREDIT card fees to the DEBIT card. We had paid for a Mini Suite but felt the privileges they claim we get, were not noticeable. We still had to line up with everyone else. Our room was both roomy & had a lot of storage; but the Mini Suites are directly below the Entertainment Deck & there was continuous noise day & night. Another Couple complained & were given ear plugs. These people had been on 5 other Cruises & loved them. This was their first P&O Cruise & they said "Never again".

We were under the belief we get Shoe Shine, but that never happened. Hubby's shoes stayed outside the door all night. I stretched out eating the fruit in our fruit bowl as I didn't expect it to be replaced. However, 10pm one night a chappy knocked on our door & asked for our fruit bowl & said he would replace it the next day. I eat fruit with my breakfast, so needless to say I had NO fruit the next morning. It was then replaced later in the day with rock-hard pears & rock-hard kiwifruit, which wouldn't be edible until a week or two after we left the Ship. There was an Umbrella with P&O advertising on our bed when we arrived. We were told it was AU$15.00; but since we didn't claim it instantly, it was whisked away.We continued to check the charges made to the DEBIT card daily & found a Credit for a Tour we had booked a week before the Cruise. When we asked them what the Credit was for, they said WE must have cancelled a Tour. We said we had cancelled nothing. So they looked in to it and said there weren't enough people wanting to do that Tour so THEY had cancelled it.

When were we going to be told? How were we going to join another Tour if we didn't check our Account daily? Why wasn't our Credit Card (Which paid for it) Credited? The Lifts were treated as dumping grounds, with Towels, glasses & alcohol bottles left in them. We were given an Express Pass to board the Tender Boat to Lifou, but this wasn't honoured. We had to ask repeatedly for items that were removed from our Room & not replaced, daily ie: Bathroom drinking glasses, etc. The Ship was very rusty; but to try & disguise it, they kept painting over every time we docked. We ordered room service breakfast every day due to the crowds & noise in the "Mess Hall". They charged us for the food & although we ordered two pieces of Toast each, it turned up stone cold with one plate to share & not enough butter. The Coffee was disgusting so we had to stop ordering it & just have Juice. We then didn't get any sugar for our Cereal. No Coffee, No Sugar!!

They treated our bags with no regard & by the end of the Cruise, hubby's Suitcase was totally totaled. The plastic shell was dented badly on one side & an 8" fracture on the other side. It had to be thrown away when we got home. Having also pulled both handles off it, the name tag was also then lost. This was a relatively new suitcase bought in Paris. The day before we were to dock back in Brisbane a note was put under our door (& everyone else's) saying we had to put our Luggage out in the Hall by 8.30pm that night & we had to vacant our room by 6.30am the next morning. We were most offended by this. It was the last straw!!

Verified Customer Vessel: Pacific Jewel

You don't always get what you pay for

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

As per the previous previews: The cruise was a disappointment; hopefully providing P&O with many examples for procedural improvement. Yes, things can go wrong, but the Captain should be a visible presence onboard. Where was the Welcome Presentation? On cancellation of the main attraction, an opportunity for address would have been welcome. Visitors to Kitava were left to feel like cattle waiting to board, and then to reboard the return tenders; made to line up on the jetty in the scorching sun with too few tenders operating. This was rectified at the only other island to visit, yet all walking impaired passengers once again missed out, having 'enjoyed' just one chance (of the expected 5 destinations) to disembark at Alotau. Conflict Island, while picturesque, is foreign owned, and prices are inflated enormously! The customs Hall in Brisbane has to be made to provide returning passengers access and shelter (!!) and enable shuttle bus transport, which does not (!) have to be booked in advance at the beginning of the cruise. What a ridiculous system; leaving passengers out in the sun & left feeling discarded at the end of what should be a joyous experience.

Worst Cruise Ever

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

Booked the PNG cruise to to leave from Brisbane so 4 of us left Sydney Saturday 27/10/2018 only to have the Jewel sail 16hrs late because of the wind- no sail away party nothing. Then told no visit to Rabual which was most disappointing as it was the reason we booked this particular cruise my husband being a Returned Serviceman was most interested in, also missed Kitiva, with a short visit to Kiriwana with the tender situation terrible staff actually handed out wet flannels as the wait on the jetty was long and hot.
Cabin service was reasonable - Shows poor as not much to them, Pantry and Waterfront left a lot to be desired.
Most disappointed and feel we should have been offered a refund
My family of 20 have booked again for a birthday cruise and feel we may have made a mistake selecting P & O a big letdown to what the numerous cruises we have done before were.

Vessel: Pacific Explorer

Some disappointments compared to other P&O cruises

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

Cruised from Sydney to the Melbourne Cup, 2018.
Most things were great, ie our cabin stewards were amazing, as were most staff including restaurant staff.
Food was excellent.
Biggest beef was the hijacking of what should be public areas with sitting area into a pizza restaurant with access closed off so people had to go back, go up or down a level, walk either forward or back, then go up a level.
In other ships these areas are nice areas to sit, enjoy chatting to others, have a drink or read a book.
And, it certainly isn’t as if there was a shortage of dining choices!
Also, hygiene stations were limited and no staff were on duty to ensure people used the hand sanitises before entering or leaving eating areas. Most unusual on a cruise ship.
This was our fifth P&O cruise And we were very happy with the other cruises on different ships, but would not choose to cruise on Pacific Explorer again.

Vessel: Pacific Aria

back packers trip

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

Not a big expert on cruising. P&O Aria was our 4th sailing cruise. Sea Princess, Sun Princess, & Royal Caribbean were wonderful, from start to finish. I have to say the Aria was an eye opener. I am not sure if this is the right work (embarking) was great as was disembarking on the Aria all went perfect. Room we had on the Aria was perfect. Our lovely cabin gentleman cleaner [name removed] was fantastic ,room was always beautifully done . As for everything else you can't compare to the other 3 ships. Food was enough (of coarse)but utterly horrible .The only restaurant we thought was ok was the Italian.(staff there smiled and were happy to serve you.) The sweets were so awful and the service was not the best. you would be lucky to even get service around the pool, and I noticed a lot of staff had attitude. Entertainment -lovely singing, but no shows like the other ships, nothing like the other 3 ships. Sorry P&O Aria I was so disappointed. Maybe if this was our first trip I wouldn't know better but truly we were so spoilt on the other 3 ships. We also had the same type of rooms on all 4 ships, interior and I have to say the Aria did have the largest and best. A tick for the Aria room .

• 9 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

THE Kents Disaster

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2018

28/10/18 6 of us went to see rabaul for its war history we sailed 16 hours late said it was because of the current in the Brisbane river (lie) then to be told by the captain no rabual then another stop was cancelled to rough for the tenders then again could not dock at hamilton tide again so it was fishmanwhalf and buses to hamilton apart from this the crew was good, food very average, charged for just about everything only liquid soap none of the other items you get on other cruise lines, very small cabins and balcony out of 14 cruise this was a disaster never again P&O.

Blue Mountains

• 4 answers

Verified Customer Vessel: Pacific Jewel

P&O "Like no Place on Earth"...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

...well, that's what the slogan says! How unfortunate to be on the vessel named "Pacific Jewel" cruising to PNG from Brisbane's Portside on October 28th for 10 nights. The ship was 14 hours late leaving Brisbane - wind & unfavourable conditions were the reason given. However, it was rumoured the ship had engine problems; it appeared that the wind had abated by 4.30pm, but the ship still couldn't depart because tugs and pilot were unavailable. Be that as it may, we eventually made it out of Brisbane a day late. We moved ever so slowly North though the Coral Sea, at what seemed to us, a snails pace. Five ports were included on this cruise, we made three of the five. It was very disappointing. From the outset there were medical emergencies on board, all expertly handled, with little impact on the cruise. However, one emergency meant we arrived a little later to the scheduled port of Kitava, but not too late we thought, to launch the tenders for the guests wishing to go ashore. Unfortunately, it was deemed conditions unfavourable. We failed to see the risk from our balcony cabin. We saw not one, but two tenders launched on what looked like calm/pleasant waters. We also saw hundreds and hundreds of keen passengers lined up to go ashore at Kitava. The the later it got the more passengers turned up to go ashore. Finally at 1.30pm the dreaded announcement came, the swell was too high. Surely, this never happens, we thought? 1600 passengers had now missed out on Rabaul, and now Kitava. All that was left was Panasea, a large island in the Conflicts, before returning to Brisbane. We were first time ocean liner cruisers, so, for us this was nothing short of disappointment. If we were cruising for the sake of cruising we wouldn't take issue with the failure to make ports of call, but our reason for the cruise was to get a glimpse into a nearby but very different world. Lesson learned - far too many "what ifs" that we had not anticipated when it comes to cruising to your destination. As for the P&O vessel, aside from engine trouble (we believe) & rust...more on that later, for us it was nothing short of a floating RSL. We are convinced a balcony cabin works on those big liners - it's a perfect spot for reading quietly. The food in all outlets was ok, but really, pretty poor, and let's just say, sponge cake done 1000 different ways over the course of 10 nights was appallingly cheap. Luke Mangans Salt Grill was pleasing, but it is at an additional cost on top of what you have already shelled out. Entertainment is hit and miss. Two bands stood out for us, one playing cool jazz, the other some soul groove. Note to anyone packing best clothing to wear on board, don't! We came away with rust marks on many garments - our fault for leaning against railings while looking out to sea.

Melbourne cup 2018

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

The Melbourne cup, was a big stuff up, was docked at a shipping duck for containers, getting off the boat was crap as well, was the happy with the it at all, was very dispiriting all up, never go again.

• 1 answer

Vessel: Pacific Jewel

Visits to three out of five ports No cover over the swimming pools so so disappointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

One positive the staff were amazing. The ship windows were so dirty unable to see out of them. Food in the pantry was very poor.

Bribie Island

Worst Cruise Ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

Booked the PNG cruise to visit Rabaul where my father fought in WW2 and my husband spent his childhood. Port cancelled as well as Kitiva, half day only in Kiriwana and tenders did not cope with numbers, 3 hour wait to get onshore. Food in Pantry and Waterfront disgusting - never hot, padded with onion and batters, desserts were cake only. Entertainment ordinary, most nights inhouse P&O performers. Staff at Duty free outlets rude and uncooperative with free events advertised in newsletter. No onboard credits offered for cancelled ports as other cruise lines offer. Will never cruise with P&O Australia again. Unable to give a zero rating, unfortunately 1 is the minimum

Vessel: Pacific Explorer

Paid far too much $$$

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Great ship. Excellent cruise director and staff. After speaking to many others I’ve paid $6200 for inside cabin where others paid $3700... and they got on board credit.i got nothing...! This was my 5th cruise with p&o. Couldn’t stop at Norfolk due to weather... ok.... but why was my cruise costings so high. Very disappointed and after 5 cruises now looking at other cruise companies.

1 of 64 pages