Melbourne, Victoria

Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Great bread maker

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

Really great bread maker, the bread always turns out perfect, as long as the correct mode is selected and used. There is nothing like having fresh warm home made bread smell through out the house. I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to purchase a quality bread maker.

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Mark, thank you for the feedback, we appreciate your description on the smell in your house of fresh made bread... makes us hungry thinking of that!! Enjoy your breadmaker!

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Excellent machine and capability

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

I've had this for a couple of years now and love it. It does what it says and what functions as its supposed to. I've only made breads. The bottom paddle has come out once.

Pro - works great, delayed start
Con - I wish the bread tin was a wider size.

Kaiapoi

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Excellent Breadmaker

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2018

After researching the various Breadmaker in NZ I opted for this Panasonic version and I really like it. Comes with great recipes and very easy to use. Makes great Pizza dough. Bread seems to turn out good if you stick to the recipes. Plenty of other recipes online as well as this has a solid worldwide following.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi TheSnakeBite, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience so far with our breadmaker, it is great to see you have been able to use so many different recipes to test the ... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 18 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Over the moon... love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

Was a bit scared forking out $200 for this bread maker because I was worried it would not do the job. See many other reviews complaining about others that are no good. So I know Panasonic is a good name so I bite the bullet and buy iy. First loaf was perfect and stayed fresh for a week. I used Laucke bread mix which is so easy to apply. One TS yeast... then the satchel of bread mix... then water... shut the lid and 4 hours later a great loaf of bread. How easy is that? next I will do sourdough and gluten free to see how it goes.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Strikey, thank you for the great feedback on the breadmaker. Sounds like you have had great success so far. We tried out the chocolate cake recipe in the office today and it was very yum!! Definitely one to try out!

Victoria

• 9 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

Best one I've had by miles!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2018

I've had Breville, Sunbeam and Aldi breadmakers and none come anywhere near close to the results this machine gives! Bread comes out light, soft and like proper bread, not heavy bricks others produce. I am amazed at how much better this machine works. It works well with regular flour, so I can't wait to see how delicious bread with proper bread making flour will be! I cannot recommend this product highly enough and am thrilled with it. Well worth the extra cost.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Keisha01au, thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review, it is great to see how well the breadmaker works for you. Happy baking

Currimundi Qld

• 3 comments
  • 10 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Top Of The Range

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

This bread maker gives excellent results only caution is watch your water measurements too much water ends up with collapsed loaf water just right excellent bread. I found using Panasonic bread mix recipe for the best result premix gives very ordinary bread texture. The fixed blade in the mixture bowl leaves a great loaf of bread. Will not disappoint you just stay right away from Sunbeam.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi John, thanks for the great feedback.

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Fantastic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

Every loaf is perfect with a very small hole. Works a lot better than the previous machine. Loaf is a good shape to cut and slice. I use about an extra 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. Would definitely recommend. Worth the extra money but have only used premixes. Have not tried adding fruit.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Barbara, thank you for taking the time to provide great feedback on your breadmaker.

corio

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: May 2018

Delightful machine!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Love this breadmaker! They've upgraded the electronics, but kept the same excellent design and programming! Good, solid bucket that doesn't send out of shape! Light years ahead of the rubbish sunbeam so-called smartbake! Panasonic, please don't change your basic design - its great, and when u r on a winner, stick to it!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Bred Cooker, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is great to see you are so happy with your breadmaker.

Perth

• 3 comments
  • 2 answers

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2018

I love this bread maker!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2018

We purchased this bread maker four months ago. I have previously owned a Panasonic many years ago, and also a Breville which I was happy with, but this one is fabulous. I have not tried out all the bread varieties that are in the book, just the normal white crusty loaf which we love and I have to send a loaf home with my grand kids after a sleep over. The bread is perfect every time, and makes the best toast. I like to use the delayed timer so that I can put it on before I go to bed and it is ready the next morning. It is a bit taller than my previous bread makers, probably because of the special section at the top to add nuts and seeds. We had to lower the slide out shelf that our bread maker lives on, but that wasn't a problem. My only criticism is that the beep to let you know the bread is finished is very quiet and we have missed it several times, but now I put on my kitchen timer when I set the bread timer so they both go off together, problem solved! The settings are really easy to use. The is truly an easy, uncomplicated, perfect bread maker.

Purchased at: Myer

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Rose, thank you for taking the time to provide the great detailed feedback on your breadmaker.

• 9 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Best breadmaker ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

I'm very satisfied with this brradmaker, previously I was using breville. I found Panasonic one is very quiet, you can put it next to a sleeping baby.

I have tried making milk bread, white bread and brioche bread. It was good. Only brioche is a bit brown, as the recipe instruction was not very clear, being a Japanese translated.

The bread taste good and texture is soft. This is the glorious Japanese technology at itd best.

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Edy, thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback on your breadmaker, it is great to hear you are so happy with it.

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

i have bread makers since they came on the market i have tried them all bought this one today just e

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

I don't know why people are so negative about this bread maker you obviously didn't read your book we are in our 70s and tried 5 other bread makers. bought this one today have just eaten loaf number1 It is beautifull if we can do it anyone can. I think you young ones are in too much of hurry to sit and get to know your machine before you use it

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Annie, thank you for your feedback, it is great to know your breadmaker is working so well for you.

• 1 review
  • 1 answer

Date Purchased: Jan 2009

Replacing Pan cost

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

I have the SD257. We get flour by the 25kg bag-so machine has made a few hundred loaves.
The non stick is peeling off pan and guess what $150 to replace plus freight plus waiting time.
Seems that its going to have to be thrown out and replaced with a new machine. Doesn't seem environmentally correct!!

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Sam, thank you for the feedback on the product and the spare part cost. We will review this with our spare parts factory team.

Perth

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Perfect..but get used to it first!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

Been making bread for a long time then a hiatus after my kids had grown up...latterly in our downsized villa (to prevent boomerangs) I developed a preservative allergy...couldn't drink beer, wine or eat commercial bread without painful repercussions. So bought a secondhand Breville and embarked on the baking journey with preservative free sourdough...then upgraded to the sparkly impressive Panasonic 2501...which i entirely screwed my first 3 loaves until I read the ...wait for it....INSTRUCTIONS...Do not bake with this machine until you have read and understood all the instructions. It is not a "simple" breadmaker. I now turn out a perfect variety of loaves and doughs . I will essay my first fruit bread next week....Read the damn instructions... the results are worthwhile the half hour reading. After discovering a product called "pure" so I can again enjoy a beer or a wine (or both) and I now have my own sourdough culture...no allergies providing I buy flour etc after checking the labels for preservatives!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi The Watcher, thank you for the feedback on your breadmaker, it is great to hear that you are seeing the health benefits also from using this product. As you mentioned it is always important to read the instructions for the best outcome!

Melbourne

• 34 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Simply amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

In short - this makes really REALLY good bread. The very first loaf I made in it was the lightest, fluffiest, most amazing loaf I have ever eaten from a bread maker.

The longer review:
Seems well made. The smaller lid is a little plasticky, but otherwise everything fits well. The bread maker itself has some weight to it, which I suspect helps keep noise levels down. It comes with a huge number of recipes, but I just use my normal recipe (620gm bread flour, 1.5 tsp dry yeast, 420ml water) and use default settings (XL, medium crust, menu '01') and press go. 4 hours later (unless using the timer) it's ready.

Tap the pan and the bread slides out onto your airing rack, leaving the paddle behind. Yes it leaves a hole, but I can live with that. My other two bread makers required digging around with a knife or fork to pull it out. If you want, you could always manually remove the paddle during the 'rise' process.

It is quiet. You can hear it working of course, but it is whisper quiet compared to my old bread maker this replaced, and it frankly was not that noisy. The bread maker I had before that sounded like a cannon going off followed by someone gargling marbles. This just gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and a faint beeping when it's finished.

Any negatives? Well the standard bread cycle has a mandatory initial wait of up to one hour (for the largest loaf) which I believe is there to ensure the ingredients all come up to room temperature. This is not an issue if you are using the timer feature of course, but if you aren't it's an unnecessary step *if* you simply ensure you use room temperature/warm water. This step has obviously been put in there to prevent n00bs from making bricks, but still it's really annoying. You can use the rapid loaf setting that skips this "rest" period, but it also shortens a number of the other stages that would impact on the quality of the resulting loaf. Ideally, I'd love it if there was a 'fast' option that you could enable for any program that just skipped the resting step.

The manual - correctly - states that you do not want to mix the yeast with the liquids early. Normally this is not an issue if you are using a bread machine that starts mixing immediately, but because of the mandatory 'rest' period it is important to do this for almost all the various options. What is insane, is they recommend putting the yeast in first then the flour then the liquids. I believe that the correct way of doing this is the liquids first, then the flour, and the last thing to add is the yeast. You can, if you want, form a little well in the middle of the flour and put the yeast in there. Basically, you use the dry flour to protect the yeast from the liquids. Putting the yeast in first risks the liquids soaking in under the flour and getting to some of the yeast before it should.

It is tall. The extra lid on top, covering the reservoir used to drop things like raisins etc into loaves just before the bake cycle, adds extra height to what is an already tall machine. Keep that in mind for storage - measure the shelf you intend to keep it in and make sure it fits! There is a version that does not have this feature, so it's shorter and is otherwise exactly the same - however it seems to be hard to find.

The outside does get quite hot - not so hot that you would burn yourself if you brush against it accidentally, but you would not want to have this close to anything that might be damaged by heat.

The LCD screen is a reasonable size and relatively easy to read, but it could have benefited from a backlight. I mean, really. How much does an LED cost?

But all of the negatives are incredibly minor. The main take away is this does what is printed on the box. It makes bread, and it does it really well.

One other thing to note. The XL loaf is huge. You can only just move the handle of the bread pan over the cooked loaf when getting it out. I can easily imagine someone putting in too much yeast or doing something else that results in the loaf hitting the inside top of the lid. I actually found that if you slice the loaf normally (ie top to bottom) you can then cut that slice in half and you end up with two pieces of bread about the same size as a 'normal' store bought loaf.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Ninkasi, thank you for the very detailed review in relation to the breadmaker. We certainly value your feedback and ideas of improvements in the future models.

Launceston, Tasmania

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Wonderful machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

What a beautiful machine. I have had it for about a month and I make different bread every day. It is very simple to use, and with the recipe book you cant go wrong. It also has an automatic fruit and nut dispenser which is great for making fruit loaf.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Panasonic Official

Hi Spiderspyder, thank you for the great feedback on your breadmaker, it is great to hear you are so pleased with it and able to use it daily.

• 1 review
  • 4 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Good machine. Terrible spare parts

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2018

This machine makes great bread and has lots of options for different breads, dough, etc. I would give this 5 stars. Spare parts are a joke - 0 stars. Our machine has made a lot of bread (500+) and dough. Mostly wholemeal. Lining off the bread tin has started to shred, replacement cost is $150 + postage AND 4-8 weeks delivery. This only assists a throw-away society...

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

the 2501 short life

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2018

unit was easy to use but with lack of parts would not purchase again agent said try breville lasted only 3 years are they now made in china i still have first panasonic made built like a tank this quality wont be seen again.

why are parts unavailable for such a new model

Purchased at: Betta Home Living

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 7 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 23 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Absolutely Magnificent. Can't Fault It.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

This machine is the best. Consistently produces a perfect loaf of bread. The wholemeal also comes out edible and soft. Important to always follow the order of adding ingredients especially if using the delayed timer function. This ensures that the yeast remains dry under the flour while on delay mode. We can't recommend it enough.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Simply the best!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

I’ve asked for this bread machine from my husband as a Christmas present in December 2016 and has been loving it so much and no regrets! It is so easy to operate and it comes with many options from white bread to wholemeal, from grainy to gluten free loaves. My most favourite setting is Sandwich setting (number 10), never fails.

I love that I can put all the ingredients in at night before going to bed and wake up to a freshly baked bread and the house smells so divine. If you’d prefer to make buns or different shapes, no problem, just select the dough settings and it will be done for you.

The other thing I love is that I know exactly what ingredients I use and I can always use the best quality ingredients I can afford. No more buying bread.

Purchased at: Bing Lee

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Logan

• 12 answers

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Perfect every time

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

I have made bread using the dough hook on the mixer and kneading until the hands and arms are tired then cooking in the oven or Weber to turn out a pretty good loaf. With the process taking about 2 hours it was a better idea to buy some from woolies if we wanted a fresh loaf to go with soup or stews during the week, that was until we bought this. Now it’s set and forget, put the ingredients in at 7.00 in the morning and arrive home to fresh bread at 4.00 ready for dinner. Just follow the instructions and perfect results every time. Love it.

1 of 11 pages

I've had my 2501 for a couple of weeks now. Insanely happy with the bread (made white, wholemeal and the wonderful parmesan and sundried tomato) but I've tried the chocolate cake and I think there's an error in the quantities somehow. I knew it was wrong when I was 'spooning' it into the machine, as I couldn't actually 'spoon' the batter at all! It was like thick tar, way too solid. The cake was like something you could knock someone unconscious with when it was cooked. I followed the recipe to the letter, and the proportions are the same for the butter cake on the same page, so if it's a typo, they've done it twice. Anyone else find this and have a solution?

Kiwi asked on Nov 24, 2018

Answer this

I have not tried baking cakes in the Panasonic but from past experiences the actual baking time cycle on all bread making machines is too long this is why your cake is coming out similar to a house brick. I have stuck to using my electric oven for the best results. Check cooking times for the size of the recipe your mixing and adjust your cooking times using the + plus and - minus symbols on your menu settings for your cake. Hope this helps.

Hi Kiwi, thank you for your question in relation to the chocolate cake. Our technical specialist has tested the specific recipe today and didn't experience the results you did. The batter was a good consistency (a little thicker than some mixes), and the cake came out very well. Our customer service team do thank you for raising your question as we have all enjoyed chocolate cake for morning tea! Please let us know if you experience any issues on your next attempt.

I bought this breadmaker so that I could make gluten free bread for my son - and the bread I make is sensational. Its a fabulous machine. Now my son thinks his problem is that he is yeast intolerant - does anyone know if I can make yeast free bread in the breadmaker? I dont have a sourdough starter. If it is possible to make YF bread in the Panasonic SD2501, would someone please give me a recipe?

ennoh asked on Oct 29, 2018

Answer this

You can buy a sourdough starter from any good bread speciality shop. In WA Big Bubble is great and has lots of alternative flour mixes. It may be, that like me it is bleached white flour is the problem for your son. I recommend you try the preservative free mixes and maybe buy a pack of of alternative flour mixes (they come with yeast ) and try them out. I have never tried making yeast free (unleavened bread) there is a recipe in the instruction book!

Hi Ennoh, thank you for your enquiry. Our recipes include yeast as this is what assists the bread to rise in the breadmaker. You could try recipes that don't include yeast and kneed it in the breadmaker and try the oven to cook the bread.

Just replaced my old Breville breadmaker and purchased a Panasonic SD-2501. I am happy with it except that the display is not illuminated. Is this normal or do I need to activate it? I am finding it very hard to read, especially at night. Thanks

Dee asked on Oct 22, 2018

Answer this

Hi Dee ,I must admit I didn't take any notice until you asked, .so I checked mine it didn't light up as say but I had no trouble reading it.
If your concerned about it maybe you should contact Panasonic to find out ,perhaps that's why you have to pay for the pricey one to get more bells and whistles but I have to say its a great product maybe you could a brighter light where you are using it . cheers Annie

Thanks for your reply. I am very happy with the quality of the bread, but do miss my illuminated display and glass viewing window in the lid of my old Breville machine.
Thanks Dee