Tweed

• 25 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Set and Forget

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2018

I wanted a cleaner that does a better job on big leaves etc. than conventional suction side 'vacuum' cleaners - I've had a Zodiac, a Kreepy and a cheapo Bunnings (which actually wasn't bad). But I baulked at the price of a proper robotic cleaner (~$1500) and as a compromise I bought this Rebel at around $500. Despite having a fairly small looking orifice, it can pick up almost anything and has never 'stalled'. It's a set and forget deal, and my pool has never looked better.
It's silent and looks well built. I can't speak to its longevity, having had it less than a year, but I think I'd happily pay for any parts it does need in future, given that it does such a great job.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Great cleaner BUT

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

We purchased this cleaner in Nov 2016 after using a Barracuda which would never cover the whole pool and got stuck in a corner. There is no question the Pentair Rebel is a great cleaner. It covers the whole pool and is quite in operation. However a couple a weeks ago it started only cleaning a small area of the deep end because it was constantly turning. Rang the pool shop where purchased and they said gears will be worn. Took it back and was repaired under warranty with new gears, wheels and tyres. Was ready for pick up in 3 hours and now works perfectly again. When I purchased there was no negative feedback for the cleaner but it seems the gears are it’s achilles heel. I am now expecting it to go another 2 years but by then it will be out of warranty and require it seems at least a $150 kit to repair. By then the rest of the machine and hoses will be 4 years old so it may be time to buy a new cleaner. If this is the case the Rebel will have given 4 years of excellent cleaning, albeit with a warranty repair for $500. For me this is average performance hence 3 stars. For cleaning ability alone this is a 5 star cleaner but it comes at a cost. if yours fails in the warranty period insist it is repaired for free.

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

• 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Feb 2017

WARNING - WILL FAIL after 18 months - within 3yr. Warranty.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

REBEL cleaner worked well for 18 months then just stopped. Yours, given the multiple reports of exactly the same thing in the reviews below, will most probably also fail - for no apparent reason. Pentair (Onga) took over 5 weeks to address my warranty claim, then put in a repair kit and tried to charge me ($175), but my local authorized dealer/ service agent insisted that, given how long it took Pentair to address the claim, it would be done at Pentair's expense, not mine - and it was.
This product is sold with a "replacement only" warranty for 3 years. Under Australian consumer protection laws you have a LEGAL RIGHT to demand and get a NEW REPLACEMENT UNIT if the unit fails for normal wear and tear for a period of 3 years from the date of purchase. That is exactly what a warranty is for. Other reviewers who have reported having to replace parts at great expense before 3 years should have insisted on their rights to have the unit REPLACED (as I should have), but at very least, had any parts required provided to them for free - as I did. This pool cleaner cleaner has a materials or design fault which causes them to fail (despite whatever wear being difficult or impossible to see by me or my dealer) and PENTAIR are fully aware of it, but seem resistant if not unwilling to be upfront about meeting their obligations under LAW to honour the 3 year REPLACEMENT ONLY Warranty under which the product is sold. Customers should INSIST, then immediately lodge a claim with the consumer affairs ombudsman. I hope my repaired cleaner at least lasts another 18 months, so at least I get my money's worth (minimally). Apart from that, it does the job - and quietly.

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Its ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

Had this cleaner for 2yrs now, it does a great job in my fiberglass pool. .... BUT..... Be prepared to buy replacement gears. Ive just had to order my second drive shaft. Seems to be a huge week point on the vacuum. Next time i will change to a somthing a little more robust.

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Don't buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

Great pool cleaner to begin with untill you have to buy spare parts lasted only 12 months before cogs and tyres are worn out and need replacing....
Cost to replace these is ridiculous never will i buy another cheaper and easier to buy a cheaper pool cleaner every year if it lasts 12 months and a whole lot less hassle.

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

initially worked well

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

the cleaner worked well for the first year but it keep getting stuck by the stairs. The constant rotation of the tire as it was trying to climb the stairs wore out the treads. I replaced the treads ($50) and now the cleaner only circles the drain. i have tried several adjustments and i cannot get it to clean anywhere but around the drain.

• 2 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Works well till the moving parts stop failing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

One of the aspects I have thrived in whilst working on projects is looking at current formats and procedures and enhance or improving or replacing these systems with easier or more effective methods by developing new systems and procedures. There are a lot of good reviews here but I would be interested to speak to these people after 2 years.

Date Purchased: May 2016

disappointed with Pentair Rebel

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

I've had my Pentair rebel cleaner for a little over 2 years. Worked fined but the problem started when the parts started to wear. Will be retiring cleaner due to the outrageous cost of parts and would not recommend buying this cleaner. Again the rebel did a good job of cleaning pool but the cost of parts make it to costly to replace parts.

MOUNTAIN CREEK

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Works really well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

Bought this product about 2 months ago to replace a Baracuda style cleaner. Pool is a regular rectangular shape, in ground concrete pool. Really easy to fit and set up and with a few minor adjustments on the suction valve to allow it to climb the walls sufficiently, it was cleaning the whole pool. Would recommend it.

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Can't do stairs.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

I've had this cleaner for just over 18 months and it's great on the pool floor and to about half way up the walls. I've got 3 entry steps and a step on the other side for sitting or standing on. I bought the rebel on recommendation from our pool shop. We had a robotic cleaner but it did after a couple of years. The rebel was cheaper than a robotic cleaner so I decided to give it a go. After a couple of weeks it was noticeable that the stairs were dirty. I had to manually clean them and have had to since. I've changed the settings and moved the float etc but the stairs remain dirty. Wouldn't recommend this if you have stairs.

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Best pool cleaner for our pebblecrete pool.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2018

We have had our Rebel pool cleaner for just over 6 months and it has worked beyond our expectations. We have a lot of gum trees close to our pool on our neighbours side and this little guy just smashes the leaves like there is no tomorrow. When we brought our house it came with the normal zodiac type pool cleaner that we had to fix/coax to work every day. This little guy is set and forget and frankly worth every cent. The only to we need to do is manually get branches out of it but we would have to do that with any pool cleaner so to us it is a non issue. We can not recommend this enough and are going to buy another one in case they stop making them! Please don’t stop making them!!

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Best available

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2018

I have had 2 Zodiac G2 suction cleaners over the past five and a half years my pool is in ground 7 X 3 m,usual replacement of parts required and noisey, often needing to adjust and move when stuck near steps etc.The S5 is a breath of fresh air in comparison , amazing ability to clean the pool both larger debris and dirt, you don't even know it's on it is so quiet. Can only highly recommend.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Love this pool cleaner.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2018

So much better than a our barracuda. Quiet, hardly notice it's on, even when you're in the pool. It picks up large leaves without any issues. Never gets stuck. Pool looks great. Had it for two years now without any problems. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone needing to replace their pool cleaner.

Purchased at: Best Pool Supplies

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Worked really well for the first season

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2018

The Rebel worked well for the first season, but now it just keeps stopping for no apparent reason. There is no leaf or twig debris caught inside however I can see that there is obvious wear in the cogs at each end of one of the gear spindles. Perhaps that is the problem?

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Good to start, problems begin after 6 months, pls comment

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

Bought for brand new pebble-crete pool 10 x 3 m, variable speed pump, Dec 2016, running 6 to 8 hours per day, Brisbane. Reasonable leaf and gumnut load from nearby gum tree. Had good experience of competing product The Pool Cleaner on a previous pool. Bought from local pool shop as was told that Rebel was same technology and it was quite a bit cheaper. Important to set up correctly with flow adjustment. Worked very well for about 6 months, sucking up and cleaning everything except twigs and bark. Then it started to stop, even when there was no leaf load and with clear filter baskets, got worse over 3 months. Pool shop and Pentair gave good service and rapid response. Both came over took it apart, playing with all the setting etc. Couldn't see any obvious issues with the cleaner. Told me "never had this problem". It would work for a while then just stop. Pentair gave me a replacement after 9 months. Now on my second one, after 6 months, its just starting to happen again. My hypothesis is that the after a while, maybe contributed to by decent leaf load, the cleaner internals start to wear out and loosen slightly and the action of the cogs causes some kind of "torque" to build up which jams the cleaner? Really interested in anyone else's similar experiences (there are already a couple on this comment string) before I go back to the Pentair rep. many thanks.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Does not work in a fully tiled pool

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2018

The Rebel slips on my fully tiled pool floor. It can't even get from the deep to the shallow end and there's no way it will climb the walls.
The dealer said it would work but I see here and at other sites that fully tiled pools are a problem.
And yes - I've tried adjusting the suction to the maximum recommended as well as the minimum and everywhere in-between.

perth

• 1 question

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2018

I can't get this cleaner to work properly despite following the manual to the letter. It's "ok" but my old Kreepy Krawley did a much better job. I manually vacuum the pool at least once per week now - never had to do that with the old cleaner. Wouldn't buy again.

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Poorly designed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Please don’t buy this poorly designed product
After spending the money I have been for a year and half constantly frustrated with its performance
Surely the designers must have stood beside a pool and watched it spend 85%of its time sitting on the edge of the bottom of the pool doing nothing

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 comments

Very Impressive Cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Folks, after swearing I’d never move away from a Barracuda product, I’m absolutely wrapped with this new purchase. This small unit packs a punch like nothing else and cleaned my 10m x 4m pool in literally 2 hours. When I say clean, I mean not just the heavy leaf debris but also the stains, gradually wearing them down and I’ve only had it 3 days. Whilst it won’t get up my steps or pool seat (nothing ever has due to 90 degree edges) it is relentless in its coverage of the pool and it’s by far the best $500 I’ve ever spent. Only took me 10 mins to setup as well and have only had to adjust flow pressure setting once to get it right. Don’t waste your money on any other cleaner and also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments

Just an update 6 months in to say still highly impressed with the unit with very little intervention needed apart from large sticks getting stuck in its throat which no cleaner on the market can ha... read more »

A further update after reading some recent comments (and no I’m not a Pentair rep just a pool owner like all you guys looking for a decent pool cleaner that saves me time, money and frustration liv... read more »

So, 12 months in now and a couple of observations and tips. Firstly, I noticed it kept twisting on itself and got stuck in one spot. Just thought it was the hoses that needed straightening out but... read more »

Rockhampton

• 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2017

It’s really amazing!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

We have a lot of debris in our pool due to 2 big gum trees nearby. I purchased the pentair rebel based on the reviews on this site as I needed a cleaner which can cope with very large amounts of debris. I have had the cleaner since October and the results are spectacular and I never would have imagined a cleaner could be so effective. If you have a pool that collects a lot of leaves I think you would struggle to find something better than this. On the very rare occasion when it gets stuck due to the large amount of leaves it has a valve where it attaches to the skimmer box to allow water to flow through the pump- Simply brilliant! It’s amazing. Highly recommended

Purchased at: Best Pool Supplies