Filter By:

Verified Customer

Terrible pet insurance company!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2018

My insurance premiums went up by 333% with a multitude of exclusions in the 6 years that I was with Petplan despite having never made a claim. Also Petplan put an exclusion on my policy when I took out the policy 6 years ago which I proved was not justified so they removed it only to keep putting it back on the policy every year.

I sent a letter of complaint to them by registered post which was signed for but like all communications with them over the past 6 years they didn't respond to me so I cancelled the policy.

As a veterinary nurse I used to recommend them to pet owners but I won't be doing this anymore. My only regret was I didn't cancel the policy years ago!

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

If only zero stars was possible!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2018

I had my dog insured with pet plan for two years so upon the purchase of my horse I had him insured with the same company.

My horse passed away from unknown causes. Petplan did not contact me for 2 months after the claim (despite lodging all paperwork in 24 hours as requested on the product disclosure statement) it has now been over 6 months and despite numerous emails, all paperwork requests complete, trying to email and phone for information I have still not been contacted nor had the claim finalised.
Losing a pet is so traumatic, petplan have added awful stress, uncertainty and frustration in a time where the opposite is what should have been provided.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi Carla,

We’re sorry that has been the case. If you’d like, please direct message us your policy number, that way we can look into it further for you.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Direct breach of insurance contract, premiums constantly rising

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2018

I have been with petplan for 3 years. At first they seemed to be a decent company that provided the service they offered. Recently however they have denied a claim due to my pet needing a repeat on medication even though the certificate of insurance states: "With a Covered For Life  policy your veterinary fees benefit is renewed each year, provided there is no break in cover. This means you can continue to claim for as long as your pet needs care - even if it's for the same illness or injury." My insurance has not lapsed and there were no pre-existing conditions when I took out the policy that would prevent cover for this issue. I have emailed petplan to try to sort it out but their response time is absolutely pathetic, at least 2 weeks to respond to each email sent. Due to the direct breach of contract and constant lack of communication it looks like legal action is the only way to go. On top of all this my premiums have raised by approximately $20 each year, now almost double what I was quoted when I took out the policy. Absolutely disgusted with the service I have received from petplan, would not recommend them to anyone, in fact if anyone is considering going with petplan I highly recommend you go elsewhere.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi Cody,

Yes, that is quite troubling. If you’d like, please direct message us your policy number, that way we can look into it further for you.

Insurance claim made

Waste of money, don't bother!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

I got pet insurance with petplan and was with them under a year. When it came to processing the claim, despite their automatic email reply saying they will get back to you in 10 days.

They did not contact me until over a month later. Throughout the claim process, no one contacted me to give an update or to inform me they may take a while to process. No one even bothered to contact me to inform me they had decided not to process my claim and made a decision it was classed as a pre existing condition that won't be covered. I had to phone the company to follow up the progress of the claim.
I even had to phone them to find out the claim got denied and to get them to put it until writing! What poor customer service.

Despite me disputing that the actual illness was diagnosed at the time I had insurance, they still refused to process the claim.

A total waste of money, don't bother with this insurance. You're better off putting the money into a savings account for emergencies instead.

Comments
Petplan Official

Sydney

Insurance claim made

Absolutely terrible!! Wish I could give a zero rating!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

We got put on a free 6 week free insurance with petplan from the breeder. We had to take our puppy to the vet about 6 days after getting her because she developed a ear problem. We emailed petplan straight after to get our claim accepted and after waiting 2 months they still hadn’t replied. We tried calling and calling and they never put us through to anyone, we kept trying and finally got to talk to someone where they immediately declined our claim because we had to have our dog for 7 days before we can claim. This is absolutely ridiculous because they except a puppy to suffer an extra day just to accept a claim. After all of this they tell us to get the claim approved we need to pay $150. All of this just proves they have terrible customer service, and all they care about is money, they have no respect for customers or animals and I am very unimpressed with this business and will never use them again and I will definitely not recommend petplan to anyone!

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there, We are extremely sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our service. We can assure you that we do not wish any pets to suffer. We care about our customers deeply. However, it is clearly... read more »

Sorry, but if you look at many of your reviews, you will be able to see how bad your service is and it doesn't seem like you are actually trying to provide good service at all. if you want better r... read more »

Petplan Official

Thank you for your feedback. We will take this on board to help improve our services and make our policies clearer for customers.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Will say anything to refuse a claim.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

We’ve had our dog insured for over a year and have made one small claim as the result of an injury. She’s been a bit off for a few days so this morning I take her to the vet who decides that based on her past an ultrasound is required. Call Pet Plan to check and we find out that they’ve changed the policy and she’s not covered for bladder or urinary problems despite us specifically asking about that when taking out the policy initially. Now they’re claiming they never received her full vet history. We chased the only two vets who have ever treated her to get the policy initially and again when we submitted a claim. Being that she’s only two years old i’m curious as to what other history I could possibly provide to them. It really seems like they care more about their bottom line than their customers and much loved pets.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that you have ran into some issues with our service. If you are happy to private message me your policy number, I can look into this further for you and provide you with some answers.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Refuse to pay even when they’re clearly wrong per their own T&Cs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2018

Policy MOLL-93
We insured our dog on Saturday 11th Aug and he sustained an injury for which we took him to the vets on Saturday 18th. The waiting period for an injury is 3 days and illness is 7 days. Petplan are claiming that our dog had an illness even though the vets notes state it was an injury and he had a general anaesthetic and xrays which aren’t done for an illness. Even if it was an illness, Saturday to Saturday isn’t “within 7 days”.
Petplan are very hard to get hold of, don’t respond when they say they will and don’t meet their own SLAs. I look forward to the Royal Commission looking deeper into companies like Petplan.

Avoid at all costs!

Narangba

Do anything not to pay

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

We recently lost our dog due to an accident that occurred and we put in a claim to receive some of the money spent purchasing the dog. They have tried everything not to pay up even insinuating that we deliberately hurt our dog. The whole process has been tramatic for us and they have added salt to the injury, no compassion, rude and unethical in my opinion.....I will never use Petplan again!!!!

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there,

If you are happy to share your name and policy number over private message, I can look into this further for you.

Insurance claim made

Trying to be a good dog owner

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2018

Attended vet with a behavioural problem with the dog. Referred to a dog behaviourist. Made a claim as behavioural issues covered in product information. 3 weeks later claim refused. Only the vet bill was taken into account but this was below the excess. Did not consider the dog behaviourist bill. No explanation. Trying to be a good and thoughtful dog owner. Petplan insurance costs me over $1000/yr.

Comments
Petplan Official

Insurance claim made

No respond to claim ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2018

Made a claim one and half month ago and no reply at all. Trying to call customer service for several times and no reply at all. Have no idea what this stupid company is doing? Can't wait to cancel the policy.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that this has been the case. If you are happy to provide me with your name and policy number, I can pass this on to the claims department who will be able to get in contact with you.

Logan

Insurance claim made

Good coverage but you have to follow up on EVERYTHING!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2018

I’ve been with pet plan for 4 years and have 3 pets with them. The coverage for their insurance is good but I am sick of having to chase up every single claim I put in to find out where the money has gone. Most recently, my dog has had to undergo a huge amount of tests to figure out what is causing her mystery illness. The first major claim we put in for her $1200+ never showed up. Upon chasing it up, Petplan tells me I have cashed the cheque. Nope, it never arrived. I requested an investigation be lodged with the bank to find out who supposedly cashed a cheque made out in my name..They have been dragging their heels on investigating the issue for over 3 months. I am beginning to suspect fraud in the company as I have never actually received a cheque to cash from this company for any of my pet’s claims, but have always had to call up chasing it, request a stop cheque and get a desposit (despite requesting a deposit in the first place every time). My cat’s claim has also not been actioned and was submitted over a month ago. I will be going to the ombudsman regarding these issue, as I cannot even get through to their call centre anymore to get information about my missing claims.

Louisiana

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Get cash, burn it. Same outcome - less Stress and time spent.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2018

I paid for petplan for many years without ever needing it. I kept it in case the worst happened. It finally did. This company failed me. This company has found one reason after another to reject the claims. Here are a couple of tactics they have used:

- In a wellness visit, I mentioned to the Vet that I was starting to see stiff legs occasionally in my older cat. Over 3 years later, my cat had an injury to her back and couldn't walk. They rejected the claim stating that because I mentioned stiff legs in the visit years prior, that it is a pre-existing condition. After many conversations on the phone and in writing, they said that I never appealed to them. They finally rejected it outright.

- They separated out the same issue into multiple issues. This put them all under the deductible. One separation was lethargy. I tried to explain that lethargy was a symptom that applied to many conditions, not a condition. Nope, rejected.

- If the vet does not take good enough notes, they will reject your claim - even though you submitted the full vet record complete with issue and remedy given. They now say that they will not speak with vets at all. You must do so. Yet, they reject what the vet gives you and tells you to tell the vet to re-write the record. You can imagine how well this goes over with busy Vets. So, claim denied.

This company is a scam. Don't buy from them. When you need them, you will be let down. I have spent so much time on appeals and in discussion and they still find a reason to deny. They did pay me out a small amount once. After many 1000s spent, and them separating the claims out to be under the deductible, and much time in appeals and fighting them, I was paid less than $100.

Oh, did I mention that they also keep changing the claim without notice?

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Terrible service, Don't return phone calls, waste of time and money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

Spent over $4k on medical bills and petplan paid $157. Twice been promised a call back. Zero calls. Have twice asked for a breakdown of how they came up with these two fictional claims and what they have and haven't included for each for the one vet visit and still nothing. Waste of 7 years with this company. Definitely not worth the money or effort.

Perth Metro, WA

• 1 answer
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Doenst have a members logon

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2018

I have been with these guys since 2013, insurance cost me $50 now in 2018 its $130 for the same plan.
What really annoys me is that these guys have no membership logon, so I have to fill in my whole life story whenever I need to update my credit card number or change any personal details. This is just poor.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there,

Thanks for the review. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration to improve our services.

Insurance claim made

Seems to have changed policy details

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

Have been with Petplan for the last 7 years and have been happy with them until my recent claim. My cat had to have a dental procedure which resulted in 3 extractions. Petplan did not cover the clean and scale but they covered it in my previous years claims. This dental was not a routine procedure that we elected to do just because we wanted to, it was done as the vet had concerns about a couple of teeth which looked quite bad. I would like Petplan to explain why the whole claim is not paid.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there, Petplan provides peace of mind that your pet will have access to veterinary attention should an unexpected injury or illness happen, that you otherwise would not be able to budget for. R... read more »

Hi I can't see an option to private message you. Policy is CHAN059. Thanks Judy.

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the quick response. I have passed this on for you so hopefully you will get some more information on your claim soon. Please do let me know if you require anything else.

Can't fault them

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

We've been with Petplan for 4.5 years and in that time our Golden Retrievers have both had Elbow Dysplasia and the one had Lymphoma so our claims have been really significant. I have never had any trouble making a claim and the process is very easy. The last claim I didn't fill out the form correctly and Petplan contacted our vet directly and asked for the correct information. They have been nothing but wonderful and I'd recommend them anytime.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi Dale, Thanks for the great review and five stars! We're glad to hear that you are pleased with our service and that we have been able to support you in providing the best care for your dogs. We... read more »

Insurance claim made

Best pet insurers out there

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

We've been with Petplan for just under two years and our dog during that time has had some pretty significant vet bills. Based on past experience pet insurance is essential and we got the best policy they offered at around $75 per month. While the claims process is a bit old school as long as we provided the right documents we have been paid in full for every claim minus the excess, usually in less than a week. I'd prefer not to spend the money at the vet obviously but it's comforting knowing that whatever we spend will most likely be returned to us so we can focus on our dog's health and not the financials.

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi there, Thank you for the great review and five stars! We will definitely take your feedback regarding claims on board to help improve our service. It's good to hear that we can take the stress ... read more »

Melbourne

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Do you have a Claims team at all?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I first made a claim on 31st July 2018 and it’s still not resolved and I’ve had NO RESPONSE. I even had to call to update my payment details since you hadn’t got around to updating the details I’ve emailed and requested follow up from someone in the Claims team. I got an email on the 16th August asking me when I sent in my claim, even though I provided the time and date in the phone conversation I had with the service staff. Responded with the forwarded email and have had no follow up again. Extremely poor service, almost 5 weeks and you can’t handle a claim! Are you under staffed or do you need a better management team? Quick to take money and it shouldn’t take 5 weeks to not even have a claim reviewed. Not to mention the fact that your organisation is behind with the times with your online facilities offered. Very dissatisfied customer and I would like my claim handled ASAP. I also work in a contact centre and have time to call, this is why I email. I’ll await a response, but to anyone looking to join this organisation - your Pets aren’t put number one! Look elsewhere if you ever want to have your Claims paid.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi Katie, Apologies that this has been the case. Unfortunately there has been a delay within our claims department due to a system error. We are back up and running now and hope to get through all... read more »

Hi Jess, I’ve sent email after email with my policy (MALT-0001) details and some get responses and some don’t. Has your claim system been broken for over a month? Because it’s been well over a mont... read more »

Hi Kate,

I have passed this on to the appropriate person who will look into this further for you. Again, apologies for the delay. We hope this can be sorted for you soon.

Brisbane

Poor claims service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

I have had dog insured for 9 years. I have just made my second claim. Received a text saying claim has been received. After the 10 business days enquired re claim. Told old claim in 2016 was paid! That was their response on two occasions. Lost the recent claim even after acknowledging receipt. Unsatisfactory. I have paid around 10k in premiums. Total claims around 2k including present claim. Pet Insurance is not worth it. Best to put 500 dollars a year away in a special account.

September 13th 2018 Update: Finally found the claim

After not been able to locate my claim. After the third attempt over 2 weeks. Claim located was settled along refund on my policy that I was not expecting.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Petplan Official

Hi Donald,

We’re sorry that this has been the case. Please do resubmit your claim and let us know how you intend to do so. I will see that the claim is of the upmost priority for the claims department.

Petplan Social Team

The claim has now been lost or misplaced for the third time! How do you do it! One of your staff tells me the claim has now been sent to the Accessors. I will wait and see. Not at all hopeful.

Expensive. Poor service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2018

I have just made my first claim after 8 years insured. Petplan didnt contact all vets names I provided, then said my pets medical history was incomplete so they wouldn't pay. When I called twice to query this (knowing my pet has annual check up and vaccinations) I was told it was my responsibilty to ask my vet to send the information to petplan! I find it difficult to believe they don't have a pre written email they could send out! Disgusted with htis terrible service.

1 of 29 pages

I am with petplan since i got my chi x jack russell pup march 2018. I chose petplan because they cover 100%. My question is, if my dog get sick and needs treatment or surgery, can i ask the vet for an invoice, send it to petplan, to see if covered or not, and if petplan can pay directly the vet after treatment?

Jen asked on May 21, 2018

Answer this

I doubt it. They usually expect you to pay then put in a claim but I am not sure.
Mine went from 70 to 105 a month overnight. With a 500 plus excess it wasn't worth it. Even at 80% within 2 years even a major claim would see me ahead. The fact is their insurance is the same or higher than my medical insurance yet the cost compared is nothing like it. They screwed up and are now making the policy holder pay for it.

Thank you for your reply. I sent the inquiry to petplan and this is what i was informed “If you select the option ‘Pay Vet’ on the claim form and they are okay to be paid directly, this is an option. You will have to pay them your applicable excess on the policy, as well as anything that isn’t covered after the claim is finalised.” i reviewed my policy and my excess is $150. I have never claimed anything yet, but i will update my review if i do claim in the future. Thank you kindly.

No you can't ... and beware Pet Plan will not want to pay your claim at all. They will use every excuse in the book not to pay, stall, seek further information and still not pay - and won't even return your calls. I've had a claim with them now 4 months old and after stalling month in and month out, they've now asserted they've never received our claim despite our vet having the claim number and having multiple communication with them. They are so bad they really do warrant an investigation by the authorities. Nothing more than a scam, read the one after another * "Terrible" reviews below.

do you cover snake bites?. something as deadly as an Estern Brown snake?.

Mes asked on Apr 08, 2018

How can Pet Plan justify a 100 percent price Hike on every ones policies? Like others l have had no claims? They also charged me for a policy that covered absolutely nothing on one pet that passed without advising me of what was not covered (everything) but the increase? No explanation they have given is logical. I have had no claims!!!

Susan asked on Feb 18, 2018

Answer this

It covers for a lot dude. You should read your documents. It is expensive but I’ve had nothing but good things to say about them. They’ve always paid out and have been very helpful when I’ve called them up

They can not justify it and use the excuse that the underwriter has driven the price up. There is no risk increase as they state just a grab for cash on 2018 premiums.

Lloyd's of London's underwriter, MS Amlin, is the new underwriter for Petplan. And yes, the company can most certainly justify their price hikes...because, if my research is correct, they are performing badly financially and are desperate to make a profit. Bad news for us and maybe them if customers keep cancelling policies (if statistics on this review page are anything to go by).

It used to be Allianz. Lloyd's apparently insured some porno guys tool of trade for $1M... just a bit of trivia... Also a few actresses legs. It is definitely the new underwriters lifting the price. That is when the premiums doubled in price..and then some. Posted on Petplan's website in May last year, the new underwriters state they did not want to take on policies for older or sick animals (because they would have to pay). On a google search of MS Amlin, employees have written that the company is doing badly, very bad financial results in 2017 which were the worst in the history of the company. One employee even said they should just cut their losses and close down! Another said the new boss is determined to bring profits back up, to the detriment of staff, the customer, all in the name of making a profit. It is written that their long term CEO left 12 months prior, only 1 external applicant applied for the role but they, apparently, employed internally, the person partly responsible for the companies losses.

If this is the correct company that I googled and the statements are true...we are probably up shirt creek without a paddle! Here's hoping this is not the case. Pet Plan were always fantastic in the past and I am hoping they make no more premium hikes and continue Petplan's past reputation. Let's see if they win any awards and compare reviews with the new underwriters. I'm not happy with the price hike but Petplan, to date, have always paid our claims via our vet, with no problems. I've recommended them to everyone I know and staff have always been awesome with me.. But if my premium doubles again, that means I will be paying over $240 pm, I will need a third job to cover another big hike. Reading everyone else's reviews does have me very worried about the future premiums and claims outcomes and also the type of business that Petplan and their underwriters want to cover...like healthy dogs only and that are of breeds of minimal claims... For now I only have praise. So here's hoping it remains that way.

Date: 03/05/17
Petplan's new underwriter

Pet and equine insurer Petplan has appointed Lloyd’s underwriter MS Amlin as underwriter for its business in Australia and New Zealand, ending an arrangement with Allianz that began in 2008.

All new Petplan business is now underwritten by MS Amlin Syndicate 2001 at Lloyd’s.

Some renewal business will transfer to MS Amlin over the next year, but some will remain with Allianz.

It is understood MS Amlin did not want to take on policies relating to older or sick animals, but Allianz is obliged to continue underwriting these due to lifetime guarantees within policies.

Petplan Australasia was established in Australia in 2004 by Victorian brokers Doug and Gwen Ford, and expanded into New Zealand in 2008.

Mr Ford told insuranceNEWS.com.au the new partnership may lead to further expansion.

“MS Amlin has written pet insurance for a number of years and its experience in equine and livestock was also key for us, together with its financial standing and reputation,” he said.

“We thank Allianz Australia for its past and ongoing support, but we see our partnership with MS Amlin as a stepping stone for Petplan’s growth, not only in Australia and New Zealand but also in other parts of the world.”

Source File: InsuranceNews