brisbane

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Italian beauty

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

This little beauty is designed by Piaggio and built in China. It rises above the others in the price and engine size, 50cc, due to its Italian good looks and reliability. Scooters were first designed and mass produced in Italy after WW11 when materials were scarce. The brief was to create a small engine vehicle that could handle frost and snow and extreme summer heat and be capable of hill climbing even if slowly. The zip 50 2t comes from this pedigree and shines. You can expect a top speed of 60-65km per hour on the flat and 75 downhill. Even at top speed there is no vibration and the engine purrs. The only negative I can find on this Wee beauty is the non Stainless Steel screws on the exhaust cover. This means they will rust but can be replaced for a few dollars. Great commuter, two year warranty and $8.50 to fill the tank with premium which lasted me a fortnight of riding. Awesome!

Perth

• 3 answers
  • 32 helpful votes

Piaggio Typhoon 50cc

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2015

Quality machine to ride.
Excellent handling.
I have had it de-restricted professionally ($100) and it takes off and gets up to speed 70 Kph + really easily (I'm 105 Kg).
I previously had a 4 stroke 50cc scooter, and there is a huge difference in the quality of the build and the ride.
I can definitely recommend this scooter.
2014 Model. 500 Km. Cost $1500

Love it !!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2014

Peak hour traffic in a car is just frustrating & annoying! On the Zip it's fun!! Cheap to own, cheap to run, easy and stable to ride. Looks gorgeous. Makes commuting to work cheap & easy. Parking is a breeze.
On the flat & without bad headwind I do 60k's with the rest of the traffic. Only complaint is that uphill it is about 45 & if I have to stop at a red light on a hill I can't get over 30k's for the rest of the hill. Apart from that I love it !!

Purchased at: Gumtree

Best of the cathegory

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2013

Very good in final speed. It can reach up to 80 km / h in a decline terrain. The acceleration is not as good as others but the final speed impresses. I definitely recommend this scooter because of the power and the average petrol consumption. For cities like Brisbane is incredible indispensable vehicle.

+ Final Speed

- Acceleration

• 7 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

piaggo zip 50 2t Okay Scooter

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2013

It runs good but is under powered if going into a head wind and up steep hills, the suspension ok for someone small to medium build, just.

As when riding as the pillion passenger with my son it sometimes bottomed out on the rear suspension, when goining over small bumps in the road, the footrest and hand grips for the pillion passenger need to be upgraded, they are too small. And the seat needs to be a bit longer to accommodate the pillion passenger also.

I am 75 kilo and my son is 80 kilo. I also found that servicing the air cleaner is difficult to get at and is hard to put back into position. The tires are a bit to small for my liking but I see you have put bigger tires on the typhoon model to make the handling of the bike better. Apart from that it is a good little scooter.

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2012

A very sporty and cool looking fun bike to ride. Not suitable for highway use but an excellent little commuter in a small country town. Costs next to nothing to own or run.

+ Clean, quite four stroke engine. Disk brake front end. Alloy wheels. Glove box. Running costs.

- Both front & rear indicators allow water to enter in the rain or when washing.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

A great little scooter for city commutes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2012

Picked it up and straight away was very impressed with the scooter. Even at partial throttle, it seems faster and more powerful than my previous Chinese 50cc, easily getting to 55 kph with no effort at all. The ride is also as smooth if not better than my previous scooter.

The finish is excellent with no exposed cables around the dash like in the Chinese one. Good brakes and a comfortable ride overall. Most impressed

+ Value for money, seems powerful, smooth ride

Purchased at: Peter Stevens Motorcycles

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

This Scooter is Fantastic!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2012

It runs smoothly and it picks up speed quickly (up to 70kms) which is awesome! [make sure to de-restrict the engine]. I love how it goes in the suburbs. I live in Perth, Australia and on the suburban streets its a perfect little scooter with great manoeuvrability. Zippy, Sporty, Smooth.

+ Speed, manoeuvrability, Piaggio is a great scooter brand,

- where's the fuel gauge? You only know to fill it up when the Fuel light comes on

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 33 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2011

This is a nice scooter if you are small built and 50cc engine won't help you in 70km zones etc.

+ Good brand, nice design

- Small wheels

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Why doesnt my oil light come on, when turning the key switch it use to light up for 2 to 3 seconds along with the gas light.. the gas light is fine but the oil light stopped coming on.. any suggestions?

Mennis R asked on Nov 30, 2018

Answer this

I would put it in for a service as the oil pump may be dodgy. If so the engine could sieze.

Do Piaggio zip 2t scooters have chains?

Bradley asked on Nov 28, 2018

My friend said her Zip has daytime sidelights that are permanently on. Mine looks like it does but when My husband took the indicator/daylight bulb holder off there was no place for a daytime running bulb. Is this normal because there are different models? Mine looks exactly the same as my friends. It only has the main headlight which is either on or off.

pepsi asked on Oct 07, 2018

Answer this

Hi I'm not sure about your friends model but mine is a 2016 and only the headlamp is permanently on. The scooter only has a small battery that needs replacing approximately every 18 months to 2 years. Extra permanent sidelights would be a further drain on the battery. It might appear that the sidelights are on but this is probably just light reacting with the reflector surround. Kind regards.

That's very helpful thanks. Thought I'd bought a dodgy bike!

See all 12 questions about Piaggio Zip 50 2T