Date Purchased: Sep 2018

You get what you pay for

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I bought this despite the many warnings, because a couple of people seemed to be fairly happy.
Indeed most of the time it does not do much. Seems to get easily stuck by the occasional leave. My pool has accumulated lots of dust on the floor by now. If it works it is very loud with a rapid suction noise like a machine gun. $99 seems to be cheap, but it is too expensive for what it does as you might simply have no pool cleaner as well.

South Head, Auckland

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

Absolutely the best pool cleaner I have ever had!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

I read all of the reviews and there was pretty much a 50/50 split of "its great" vs "its awful" but as I needed a pool cleaner and this one was only $240 I took a leap of faith. Boy am I glad I did!

I have a 30,000L Bestway pool with vinyl sides and wasn't really sure that the Hy-Clor Poseidon MK2 would actually work with it as it does not have a skimmer box but I plugged into directly into one of the 2 outlets, plugged the other one and BLAM off it went! It has been 3-months now and I have it running on a timer for 3 hrs, twice day/night and the pool is looking fantastic.

I still check the pH/chlorine and add algaecide each week but now the Hy-Clor Poseidon MK2 is doing its rounds my actual pool cleaning is limited to scooping out the odd leaf and checking then cleaning out the filter-trap at the pump once in while. It has a hose-weight that you can slide along and doing this alters the path of the cleaner so it covers 99% of the pool. That wide rubber skirt and the unobstructed "throat" of the cleaning head create a suction strong enough for it to climb right up the walls and even get right into the corners - who knew!

I mean seriously this is the coolest product and is 1/3rd the price of my old one. If your Hy-Clor Poseidon MK2 Automatic is not performing then I recommend that you (A) check your pump is the right rating to create the necessary suction (Minimum pump size 500w/ 0.75HP) (B) check your pump filter is clear and your sand filter is backwashed & rinsed so water flow/suction is not restricted by coagulated/matted debris (C) if you have more than one pool outlet then be sure to stick a plug in the others (with Intex / Bestway they come with the pool) or the suction will be too reduced for the cleaner to operate (D) try the hose weight at different positions on the hose that connects to the suction head, moving just 200mm-300mm each time will help you to fine tune the cleaner's behaviour and cleaning pattern and lastly (E) try more or less hose; I find adding or removing just 1 hose section makes a big difference to the cleaning pattern/behaviour. I use mostly hose that is sufficient to go from the side pool outlet to the furthest pool end +1.

If those things are all good then the Hy-Clor Poseidon MK2 product should do a fantastic job of cleaning your pool. I'll update once I've had it for a year but so far its all been good. Enjoy your summer :-)

Not recommended

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2018

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

Wish I read reviews before purchasing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

This thing just doesn't work, will go for a minute or so if I manipulate the throat valve. Heaven forbid a leaf gets in the way. Why make a product that looks like a pool cleaner just to have it sit doing nothing pool cleaners should do? Frantically looking for my receipt to see if I can return it after having it for only a month or so.

Brisbane

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2018

Hit-and-miss

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

This one is for the Hy-Clor Slider Vacuum Cleaner, which product review don't list, so I'm using this platform.
Well it's rubbish! It has been replaced 3 times since first purchasing. The pool is a plain oval shape with no debris and no obstructions. It has a good quality pool pump and serviced regularly. The Hy-Clor Slider Vac gets stuck, it doesn't seem swivel. Tried reattaching the swivel connector several times and tried increasing the suction. The previous one didn't have this problem and was working fine, but it only lasted 6 months. Hit-and-miss product.

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Junk-Avoid this one.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2018

This product is plain junk. Works well enough to start but over the course of a few months became more and more sporadic. Now it just wont work with plenty of flow and the correct pressure.

I would look for a slightly more expensive product from a brand name. Cheap and nasty.

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Great for the price

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

I didn't expect much from this for the price, but I've been impressed. It's now, after 18 months, starting to come loose and show signs of wear but for now is still going and honestly, I'm happy with 18 months at the price it is compared to any other model!

Our pool is peanut shaped and it cruises around cleaning out leaves and grime, it has been left in the pool continuously and has saved me so many hours of vacuuming, at this time of year our neighbour's tree dumps leaves in continuously and is impossible to keep up with manually. The rest of the year it has a less demanding job but keeps everything spic and span. The only thing it ever gets stuck on is larger twigs after a storm but generally it has been a set and forget item. Love it.

When it's just me in the pool I just leave it, it's not very big or intrusive. When the kids are all out there at once I have them lift it out onto the side so no one jumps on it and cracks it. Again it's not big or heavy so easy enough for the teen to lift out and toss back in after.

I suspect ours is now on it's last legs but it has been such a labour-saving device that nearly 2 years for only around $150 leaves me happy to replace it when needed.

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

This product is garbage

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

I wish i had read the reviews on this useless thing before i wasted my money.It gets stuck every time on the steps,follows exactly the same path lap after lap, and stops for no reason.It seems to have the ability to avoid leaves and debris.Do not waste your money !!!

Perth

• 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Has a vey limited life

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

I'm sorry to say I have bought two Hy-Clor Poseidon MK2 Automatics from Bunnings.
The first ran for about 18 months before it stopped working.
I spent a few hours taking it apart and putting it back together again a few times without getting it to work so, because they're cheap, about 8 months ago I bought another one to replace it . It worked for a couple of weeks but just gives up and it's not blocked or clogged by leaves.
I'm disappointed with the cheap, unreliable Hy-Clor products and have just bought a Zodiac G2 Automatic Pool Cleaner with 12m hose for $449.
As they say, you get what you pay for.

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Absolute rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2018

Keeps getting stuck in the corners and when I manually free it it follows the same path and gets stuck in the next corner. You get what you pay for. Purchased from Bunnings warehouse. I have thrown mine in the bin, I could sell it but I’m fairly sure the purchaser will bring it back.

Date Purchased: May 2018

Could be better

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

My MK2 works fine pool pump running as it should filter box clean everything sealed tight the suction is spot on but it get's stuck on the gentle curve at the deep end of the pool and right near the step at the shallow end. It get's very frustrating looking out the window seeing it in the same place thank you.

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Bang for your buck!

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 07, 2018

Does what it’s supposed to do. Plugged it in and it cleaned the pool non stop for 18 months, then it stopped working (air leak, loss of pressure in head unit). Good value for $99 (price I paid on sale). Purchased a new head unit (pool blade) for $99 and she’s good as gold again!
Note - my pool has little shade and cleaner was always in pool.

Perth

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

For $250 does the same job as the expensive brands at $800

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2018

This is my 3rd pool cleaner. The first two were expensive brands and worked, but parts wear out and they are overpriced to replace. Bought this and it does the job fine. Who cares if it were to totally break after a couple of years, as buying a new one is cheaper than all the spare parts for the expensive brands.

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

What a joke

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

An absolute waste of money. Spends most of its time stuck on nothing not moving in corners and when it does actually move it travels in the same path. I have tried every speed, placed the weights in every position possible and still no good and not once has it ever looked like travelling up the pool walls.

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Hy chlor poseidon mark 2 automatic.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2018

I just purchased it this week after having had a kreepy krawley for years and years. I have found it to be excellent, I have a large 70,000 litre pool and it has done an excellent job. I found it easy to assemble, easy to use and effective in its use.
I had to contact the office to find where to get some extra extensions for the hose. The service was excellent.

Absolute rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

Unit keeps getting stuck in corners of pool. I have a rectangle pool with large roundish corners. Every time i look at the unit its stuck in the corner and won't operate normally until i move it. This happen all the time. It seems every time i look at the pool the cleaner is stuck in the corner.

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

really good unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2017

My old Kreepy Krawly was on its last legs with the skirt torn and the hose repeatedly disengaging from the unit. The cost to replace these parts was expensive and I had also noticed the unit often got stuck in corners and would always follow the same path.

Saw a se ond hand mk2 for sale on a local community classifieds for $50 so, even though O had read bad reviews on this cheap cleaner, decided for $50 to give it a go. At worst I could use the skirt on my aging kreepy Krawly.

Plugged it in and bingo, it started immediately. Had it now a week and the pool has never been cleaner. It never stops, tangles or fails to pick up debri. This is far superior to the old cleaner and new cost around $180, way cheeper than the leading brands. One of the best purchases I have made. Glad I ignored the bad reviews, my guess is they are poorly setup.

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Great for a summer then Bang it won't move!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Save your money. Worked great for one summer then Bang!! The Vacuum just won't start by itself when the pool starts up the hammer the piece that makes it vacuum is stuck, i was able to manipulate with a screwdriver (for a summer) whilst the pool was on on to make the hammer work or do its job now nothing. 200 bucks down the drain now I'm up for another vacuum. Buy cheap and that's what you get cheap!

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Greatest Con of The Century

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2017

Has never worked from day 1. Started and stopped at will after just about 15 seconds. It's lying useless at the store waiting for the rubbish tip. I have had to go out and shop for a proper vac as I still need the job done.

Don't waste your money.

• 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Great if you dont need a pool cleaner to pick up leaves.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

I bought one of these for the same reason as many others. The price was appealing, and I did not want to buy a comparatively much dearer Kreepy Krauly. Only problem was at the first sight of a leaf it would jam, and just sit there all night doing nothing!

My pool is surrounded by garden, and leaves do regularly fall into it. I suffered with the Poseidon for two years, until it finally failed. I was dissapointed in how long it lasted, knowing that my parents had owned the same Kreepy Krauly for 10+ years only buying a few parts. (no parts available for Poseidon).

So I decided I'd give the Kreepy Krauly a go. Holy smokes. I dont remember the last time I had to unjam it, and it actually cleans my pool.

In Summary: If you only require a pool cleaner to pick up dirty, and tiny tiny leaves from the bottom of your pool. This is a great value cleaner. However, if you have larger leaves and want a cleaner to last more than a couple of years. Dont buy the Poseidon, spend the extra on the Kreepy Marathon it's worth it and does by comparison a much better job.

1 of 5 pages