• 2 helpful votes

changed my opinion of AMEX

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2018

I have been using the card now for 4 months....and it has delivered all that was promised and was easy to set up..DUMPED Westpac due absolutely crap service and I am earning more more for the same spend...and $450 fee you get back on flights.....so really I had a wrong perception of AMEX.

• 9 comments
  • 1 question
  • 12 helpful votes

Card closed but AMEX still allowing Netflix subscription to accumulate

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2018

Got this card for the points and the $450 travel voucher. Used that fine no probs.
Closed the AMEX in Feb over the phone 1300 736 659 Customer Relations Hotline.
Requested a statement with a zero balance.
March statement arrived showing $9.99 to Netflix.
Queried it and they said they would wipe it.
April statement showing $9.99 to Netflix. My bad for not updating my payment details at Netflix. Actioned this straight away once I realised my error.
Called AMEX to complain. Got a lecture from the Customer Agent - which is always well received.
Why does AMEX allow the charges from other merchants to be processed on a closed account?
In the old days, the merchant would withdraw/cancel/suspend the service if your payment details were not current.
The contract is between me and AMEX to pay the account when due. The second contract is between me and Netflix to provide valid payment details. If I am in breach of my contract with Netflix, it is Netflix who should take remedial action with me; not take it upon themselves to continue to offer me the service with invalid payment details.
Argued with the AMEX Customer Agent who said I had an option to lodge an investigation which would take 6-8 weeks for an outcome. We are talking $9.99 here people!! I know it's not a lot, but can imagine how many peeps let it slide?
I agreed to the investigation option. She popped me on hold for a short while and then came back and told me, that the charge had been waived and there was nothing further outstanding on the account. Just like that :)
I asked for a Closed Account Statement showing a zero balance. She said it would be emailed to me. Waiting waiting...........
So the moral of the story - cease your direct debits (me) and stop debiting closed accounts (Netflix) or facilitating this action. (AMEX)

Campsie, NSW

Verified Purchase

A step up from a usual credit card

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2017

I have had this card for a couple of years now and I find it to be pretty good value.

The card has a pretty good points earning rate at 1.5 QFF points per $1 spent (excluding Government spending). Also, the travel credit is a welcome addition as I can spend $450 a year towards Qantas flights.

What I like about this card is that offers are occasionally made available where you spend at X participating retailer and you will get a credit. Quite often, I've found retailers on this list that I was going to spend at anyway. Within a given membership year, this has always covered the cost of the membership fee.

I also find the staff pretty good to deal with as well.

Terrible Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

If you have a question or need something done be prepared to have to sit on the phone for hours, get passed around to different people (all of which none can give you an answer), tell you they will call back and they don't so you will have to call them back over weeks just trying to get an answer. Some of the worst customer service I have experienced.

Rudest Most Arrogant Staff You Will Come Across

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2017

Virtually impossible to claim the flight, typical bait and switch tactics where they tell you there are no complimentary flights available for any dates you have selected but you can purchase a more expensive flight (what a privilege). If you take issue with this or find it deceptive and misleading conduct and ask to speak to somebody about it, then be prepared to be transferred several times to different reps who will treat you with varying levels of contempt before lecturing you on what an ungrateful customer you are and hanging up on you. What a fantastic card to have in the wallet.

Melbourne

Private message

Best card with no annual fees and earn Qantas points

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2016

I am using this card for 4 years for everyday shopping to online purchases like Paypal, no issues at all, very good customer services, promptly replied, and the best earn 1 point for every dollar spent.

Perth

NOT WORTH WASTING YOUR BREATH ON

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2016

AMEX would have to be the WORST credit card out of the lot. I couldn't give no stars which is what they are worth rating. They have no sense of customer service, they are arrogant, rude, unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not even my arch enemy. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! STICK WITH AUSTRALIAN BRANDS LIKE BANKWEST, WESTPAC, NAB ETC.

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes

Scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2015

Do NOT get an American Express card. I cancelled mine in March and I keep getting recurring charges on it. Every time I ring up and ask how its possible to continue to have recurring charges put on the card, the person on the end of the phone tells me they will suspend it. No matter how sweet the deal don't fall for it. You can't cancel it, they are scammers.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

They just keep telling me they will suspend the card, but they don't and its 3 months now.

Melbourne, Victoria

• 28 comments
  • 23 answers
  • 50 helpful votes

All been said by other 5 star reviewers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 19, 2013

I went online recently to find an alternative to our NAB platinum Amex and Visa card with no annual fees.
Merchants are already charged fees on my purchases so why the banks need to further double dip is simply greed.
I found this card offers good points, no fees and very good customer service.

+ No annual fee

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

In looking this card up on the Qantas site, it appears there is an annual fee of $450. Is the "no fee" that you're referring to from a promotional period?

no that's the other card. There are 3 Amex QF frequent flyer cards. One is Discovery, one is platinum $250 fee and the other is ultimate. The ultimate has $450 fee.

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Best no annual fee card ever...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2013

Got this card for a long time
if you dont wanna pay any fee for a credit card but still need some reward this is the best.
earn Qantas points by every dollar spend, and up to 10,000 pts for first time use (at least 7500 pts you can earn, another 2500 need to buy Qantas tickets)
Good customer service, clear online service and bank statement.
highly recommended if you want a annual fee free card.

+ No fee, reward is ok, bonus pts, good service

- reward less than the one with fee, if you spend more than 20k per year, apply a better one

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Fantastic service, fantastic card!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2012

I have had this card for many years, boy do I love the service, they have been fantastic. Flights booked with no problem (though limited in destination). On many occasion they have done their best to keep me as a customer, and really make an impression when I have discussed my concerns. They have certainly gone beyond the other shabby credit cards out there and treat you like a person not a dumb customer and waived fees when changes to the card has occurred.

+ Excellent service and forgiving in situations, will try to keep your business.

- Limited destinations on flights

SYDNEY

Can't live without it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2012

Excellent card. Qantas points earn rate is exceptional. The customer service is second to none with Amex and the redeeming of flights is easy too. There is a high annual fee, but this is not too bad if you have a high point earning and you redeem flights on a regular basis.

+ Qantas earn rate

- Annual fee

• 50 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

I got a reduced annual fee to $250 and a reduced APR (interest rate) as I am a long standing AMEX customer (12 years) which makes this card a bargain. I can even pay my rent on the card! I earn a stack of points on it (about 100,000 per year) which helps me get free flights with Qantas. I was also offered a free companion Gold charge card (worth $130pa) as well. Easy limit increase (just ask) and great local service makes this a great product. Easy to book the free flight through Amex - went to Brisbane last weekend - no worries. Travel insurance is very attractive but doesnt include domestic car rental cover. ANZ Gold visa does

+ Points Earning (1.5 - 2.5 per dollar), Free domestic flight, Free travel insurance, Great Service, Automatic transfer to Qantas, Easy to use AMEX website

- Not much, Some merchants dont accept is - I go elsewhere (Merhants beware - I will walk out if I cant use my card)

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Port Hedland, WA, WA

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

The best service of all my credit cards

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2012

I changed to Amex from diners club when Diners decided to mess me around with points. I earn over 100,000 frequent flyer points per year on my cards - so it is very valuable to me to make sure I get the best deal. I also pay all of my cards off at the end of the month and don't pay interest, so I can't review the card from that aspect. I have had no problems booking the free flights - obviously they are limited for holiday periods or if you need to fly in a hurry, but by booking well in advance I have been able to get flights at Xmas and Easter over the years. The phone staff are always excellent and I have always had my queries answered by someone with a genuine Australian or NZ accent (I think their call centre might actually be in New Zealand) who shows a genuine empathy for my situation - not something that you can write about for most financial products these days. The best feature of this card is that if there are any "suspect" transactions, they immediately try to call you and if they can't get you they will leave a message as well as email and text you at the same time - so if there was anything strange going on - you would know about it immediately without having to wait for the bill to come in. Their website is also very good and easy to use.

+ They call you immediately if there is any suspect transactions

- high annual cost (but still cheaper than paying for the airfare)

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2012

If you have a FF account, and don't want to pay fees and charges but earn a whole lot of points to your FF account, then this is a great card. I moved to Amex Qantas card in May this year, and it is wonderful. The Amex Customer Service is second-to-none, and the way in which the points are automatically transferred to Qantas each month is brilliant. The customer does not have to do anything (except provide the FF number to Amex on application of course), and just start getting more points!

In all, a great membership program with an excellent structure and awards system. Slowly, Amex are starting to be accepted in more places which means this card is a great one to have with you, especially if you're saving for free/upgraded flights.

In all, 4/5. The only reason why it's not a 5 is the quality of the airline.

+ - Ever dollar spent = 1 point to the FF program
- Excellent rewards, especially when using on Qantas services
- NO ANNUAL CARD FEE!!
- 55 Days interest fee as well
- Amex deposit the points into Qantas FF account every month, without failure. Completely seamless account updating.
- I have noticed Amex is being accepted in more & more places as well.

- - Pity about the airline.

• 17 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2011

When my mastercard capped the amount of points you can redeem in a year, we applied for our AMEX Ultimate. As big points users I shopped around - this card was the best deal I could find. The annual free flight is really good as we live in Perth so get the most benefit. With 1.5 points per dollar spend, and 2.5 points when paying for Qantas flights this is the best deal around. The only complaint is that they don't remind you about the free flight so you have to keep it in mind or lose it.

+ High reward points

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2010

Yep - great for earning points and get annual fee back by living in Perth and flying to see family over east.

+ I signed up for this card when my ANZ Qantas Visa capped its points. Earn points much faster and use the free flight for Perth - Melbourne each year so get value out of it. Haven't had any trouble getting flights so far they get 10-15 seats each flight but book early...

- Their website isn't transactional so you can't set up forward BPayments etc. Amex isn't accepted at a lot of small shops or for many household bills like rates etc so don't cancel your other cards! Have to remember that you need to purchase Qantas product each year to get your free flight. Free flights are for set routes not for anywhere so check that program suits.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2010

I use the card wherever I can and pay it all off each month - now by direct debit. It is a great way to get Qantas frequent flyer points. More and more vendors are charging for using it now which is a bit of a pain - but I still get to use it a lot.

+ Points accrue at 1.5 per dollar spent and the travel insurance is a big saver.

- The first year of having this card I did not use the free domestic flight which makes the $395 fees quite expensive.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2010

You get free travel insurance with the Qantas American Express Ultimate, the rewards are good but take ages to accumulate and you can earn free flights in Australia and it has well known rewards partners. The customer service is really good the only drawback is the annual fee everything else with this card is excellent.

+ It converts points to frequent flyer points and it is a very competitive interest rate.

- The annual fee is really bad it costs you around $400 a year to have this card but I guess you have to weigh up how good the interest rate is by comparison.

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2009

This card is accepted at most large retail stores and I reccomend people to use it with every opportunity they can, because they will earn points and get nice rewards

+ Great news this card!!! I redeem a return trip to Hong Kong with my wife every year. Iam glad that when I do some travel each year I make all my spendings throught the Qantas AMEX. I recommend this card to people who are willing to pay their bills off each month because the points can add up for a free trip.

- nothing to say here

1 of 2 pages