Filter By:

Victoria

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

Glad we chose QBE for our travel insurance. We had to cancel a trip due to some complications that arose with my pregnancy, I was originally told I was safe to travel, but that didn’t last. Etihad were useless, so we went through travel insurance. Every staff member I spoke to was compassionate and understanding. Most calls started with them asking how I was and if I was feeling ok and how my pregnancy was travelling, then we got down to insurance business. They an be a bit slow and not always good at returning calls. After sending documentation back, which included the doctors form he had filled out, I was asked to have him fill out another. A simple call to them to say he had done it cleared that right up. We recouped all losses and this is now one less stress we need to worry about. I would use them again for out next travel insurer.

Comments
QBE Official

Thank you for the amazing review and we're glad we could help! Thanks for choosing QBE ~BLS

QBE were fantastic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

This was the first time I had used QBE and will continue to do so. I have used others but never had to make a claim so I can't compare the claims process, However, this time we did have an issue and had to make a claim. QBE were fantastic right from the start. We rang the assistance line at 1 am Singapore time and the lady was friendly, concerned and helpful. She advised us what to do and what paperwork we would need. She did everything she said she would do by way of follow up emails. The next day another person rang to check on my wife and again was very concerned and helpful. I completed the claim form when we got home emailed it with the back up and the claim was paid approved within a week and paid within a day or 2 of it being approved. I am really impressed by the total process, the people and the service they provided at a difficult time.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Ron, thank you for your great feedback, we're pleased we got everything sorted for you ~BLS

What a slack bunch!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

If only I could have given zero stars for this company. As many others have found, this company seems to have a policy of stalling and avoidance. No emails are replied to. Any time you call you talk to a different person because your case officer is on a break (mine must have been constantly on one) or busy with another customer. They say they will ring back but never do. It was only because they are the Travel Insurance company associated with NAB that I have had to deal with. I will be putting in a complaint to the bank with the suggestion they change Insurance companies.

melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Great result - got whole claim paid

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

It is my free NAB credit card travel insurance underwritten by QBE. There was a lot of paperwork required and they asked for the same information a few times. At one stage I thought they were stringing me along but after 3 weeks and many emails later they paid my entire claim. Very happy! My claim was for cancellation costs due to my cat getting sick so thought they would reflect the claim. This insurance was free through my bank. Happy days.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Fleur, we're glad to hear your claim got settled and you're happy with the experience ~BLS

Wish I had read the reviews :(

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2018

Claim not going well. They keep asking for info which was sent, then denied the claim because we hadn't sent the info in a timely manner. Stall tactics.
AVOID QBE !

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Maria, sorry to hear this. We have sent you a private message where you can provide more details so we can look into this. ~SS

Canberra

• 6 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Pathetic

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

The incompetence of QBE is astounding. They obviously have a business model that involves deliberate and persistent stalling tactics in the hope that claimants will give up. Not going to happen. They send requests for further information to the wrong email address (deliberately I suspect). They send multiple requests for the same information, I have sent one document 3 times since my claim was lodged even though it was included in the initial claim. Every time they receive these documents your claim goes to the bottom of the pile again (10 business days). My partner claimed with her travel insurance company for the same incident and had her pay out within 3 weeks. I'm now up to about 7 weeks with no end in sight. If like me your insurance is via a platinum credit card I suggest making a complaint directly to your bank as I have. Seriously thinking about taking all my banking and mortgage elsewhere due to my poor service I have received from QBE.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Jeff, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We will PM you for some details and take a look into this ~BLS

Yeah nah. I'd prefer to let potential customers know how you deal with claims. Udate. Called today to check on progress of claim.They requested more information from medical professionals to see i... read more »

QBE Official

Hi Jeff, if you don't want to PM us, you can refer this to our Complaints team https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints

Wish I had read the reviews before I opted for QBE travel insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

In a recent US trip my wife’s diamond fell out of her engagement ring I provided a heap of documents but they came back looking for a reason not to pay I provided more details and was told 10 days .. it’s been 15 days now I’ve called twice been told it’s been re listed and told I’d be called back.. but guess what no call back

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Christian, we're sorry to hear about this. We will send you a PM to get some details ~BLS

Mornington, Victoria

• 29 comments
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 13 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

They only care about your money offer no assistance and even get confused with a claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

QBE are the worst of the worst. You pay your premiums then they do nothing for you when it comes to when you require them, they expect you to pay the works on your holiday all Drs all scans that cost a mint and then even try making you out as a liar, yet they over stepped the mark as they did not know what the latest was after we informed them. Shows me how crap of a travel insurance company they are even more so when they say we cannot get in contact with you yet others from there office can. They're also deceiving as when we took it out the travel insurance they came under the name QANTAS QBE lies lies lies.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Kris, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We will PM you for some details and take a look into this ~BLS

Do not bother Pm us as you are full of lies and will do anything to cover up your mistakes, i even have proof on our receipt when we insured that you claim to be Qantas QBE insurance which your tea... read more »

To all who have had a bad experience with QBE just as we did and still are having as they want to send 2 heavy hands to investigate us, they can bring it on we have nothing to hide. However after s... read more »

Albury

• 4 comments

Avoid this terrible company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

I had travel delay insurance with QBE and on a recent trip to Europe missed a connection due to a late arrival by my airline. I spend the day in the Frankfurt airport and ended up having to buy an entirely new ticket as a result. This situation is obviously what travel delay insurance is for however after asking for the same information on multiple occasions and delaying my claim for six month QBE denied my claim stating that my delay was due to the bankruptcy of my air carrier flying into Frankfurt. This airline did go out of business but not for SIX MONTHS after my trip ended. It's very evident QBE does not want to pay claims due to the financially incompetent way the company has been run and the massive losses they have had in the billions of dollars. Beware, do not use this company as it's a complete scam.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Robert, we're sorry to hear about this. We will PM you for some details and take a look into it ~BLS

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for your message as I know your posting is just made to try to make your company seem responsible and I know it's not. I feel very sorry for all of the cust... read more »

QBE Official

Hi Robert, we sent you a private message on August 7. If you can reply to that, we can look into it ~BLS

Gold Coast

AVOID at all cost!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2018

I have had to deal with QBE for over 6 months now, trying to get a decent response from them. Every time I call them, it makes me wonder whether they hire all these rude people just to frustrate customers and make them give up on their claims. They will talk to you as though you don't know anything, and rush you through your questions and say the same thing over and over again to frustrate you. They will make the most absurd reasons to not accept your claim, such as wording technicalities; they said that because my airline stated that my flight was cancelled due to "technical failure", not "mechanical break down" (which is essentially exactly the same thing", that they cannot consider my claim under "flight cancelation". AND they will ask you for the same or essentially the same documents over and over and over again to delay your claim. When I read the reviews, I could relate to many of the unfortunate experiences that people spoke of... so please trust the reviews, QBE is truly a horrible insurance company...

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Nay, sorry to hear about your experience. We have sent you a private message where you can provide your claim details so that we can look into this. ~SS

Perth

Insurance claim made

The Star rating says it all guys!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2018

What a team of lying & unprofessional staff. They never call you back after promising to call back within 24 hours. Also the supervisor & claims officer assigned to your claim is ALWAYS either “out of office” or “busy”. I just had a simple claim & after providing all relevant documents, no one will make decision to finalise the claim after 2 months!! I’m writing this after being on hold for over 2 hours waiting Again.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Pratish, we're sorry to hear about the delays. We will PM you for some details and take a look into it ~BLS

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

They do not pay out claims

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

Travel agent took out QBE travel insurance two years in a row for our group of 12 pax per year. Second year we had to make a claim for a damaged drone and another member took out a claim for medical. Both rejected, had to fight really hard to get them to re-look at their negative decision. They used all excuses about the drone telling me to speak to the three different airlines we used. The medical claim took 14 months to get a negative answer. This year we moved to another travel insurance for our 16 pax. We will not use them again and our travel agent told me due to our case, she now lingers uses them either.

Melbourne

AVOID

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Will not pay out based on wording technicalities... A delayed flight is a delayed flight and I had to fork out for new flights and they wont cover it because the delay was due to 'bay availability'.. Anything to avoid paying you out!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Josh, we believe this issue was already addressed via Facebook, but if you're unhappy with the outcome of your claim, you can refer it to complaints@qbe.com ~BLS

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Unless EVERYONE you know is an Australian or New Zealand Permanent Resident do not use this insuranc

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

I bought a travel insurance with QBE for my trip overseas. My father was ill and I had to change my flight because he passed away the day before I traveled back home to Australia.
I asked if they would cover the expenses of the change, their answer, in their product disclosure it said that they would have only covered it if the person who passed away was an Australian or New Zealander Permanent resident.

Hence, if you are visiting family overseas who are not permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand do not buy this insurance. Actually, if anyone close to you (according to their policy, spouse, de facto partner, parent, parent in-law, daughter, son, daughter in law,
son in law, brother, sister, brother in law, sister in law, grandchildren, grandparent,
stepparent, stepchildren, fiance or fiancee, or guardian.), if ANY of these are not Australian or New Zealander Permanent resident do not take this insurance.

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Insurance claim made

QBE Travel assist are an awesome team

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

Recently travelled overseas for 7 weeks on two cruises with 7 days in Barcelona. Our travel insurance was complimentary on NAB Credit Card, with QBE Travel Assist the service provider. Unfortunately I needed to test this insurance with great positive results, as my wife suffered an acute heart attack with an urgent ambulance ride then 2 operations for 2 stents required. NAB got me in contact with the QBE Travel Assist team quickly. The first contact was with a calm polite operator, took his time to find out about my wife's condition, then quietly obtained all information and gave timely advice along with encouragement under trying circumstances. Over four days I had several phone calls and email responses from this team, every member helped make the process simple, straight forward whilst keeping track of our welfare and concerns. They were terrific support to me dealing with a difficult medical emergency in a foreign country, with no local support. The claim was processed quickly, all dealings with the hospital admin taken off my shoulders within 5 days. The staff during and after the crisis demonstrated empathy, understanding and clarity of how to deal with the problems. They were nothing short of fantastic, from the moment I first called only 4 hours after the event until my last contact on returning home two weeks later. They helped us to keep the holiday of a lifetime in perspective of being a fantastic, albeit life changing adventure rather than a nightmare.

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Shane, thanks for the great feedback. We're glad the QBE Assist team we're awesome! ~SS

Really, my words can't do justice to the sheer relief and strength I got to deal with a personal disaster. They were hero's. It highlighted for myself and wide circle of friends the insurance is imperative so far from home.
Shane.

Frustration and lies.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2018

The snow cover didn’t cover my daughters own helmet when she fell in the snow, concussed, despite paying the premium. The payment took nearly 6 months to come through and when they said they would pay the hospital Directly, they only paid one of two invoices, which is still on going, wth debt collectors now chasing me. it was impossible to talk to Anyone, you had to email and then they would get back to you ten days later, by email and then further details Had to be exchanged. They were also unable to calculate the payment correctly from my claim and had two months of chasing them for payment of a claim that they had “overlooked”! Atrocious, avoid at all costs, the minimal saving on the premium is NOT worth the grief! Even the complaints department take 2 weeks to return calls.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Craig, we're sorry to hear about your claims experience. We will PM you for some more details ~BLS

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Good beginning frustrating ending

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2018

Policy seemed like good value. I broke my shoulder in Paris and had to return to Australia. QBE organised travel for my husband and self. I had an extra seat in economy to protect my shoulder. On my return I claimed for expenses due to cancellations that were made. It has taken me 8 months of emails and phone calls to finally get a payment. I will not use them again.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Thank you for providing feedback on our claim experience, and we're sorry to hear it took so long. We will pass this back on to the claims team for improvement.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Never use QBE Insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2018

QBE Insurance has many hidden clauses- such as for claims paid via my ANZ credit card for missed flight due to urgent medical condition, I submitted the claim via my spouse in Nov 2017 and until May 2018- despite asking for flight details, bank credit card details, medical certificates, itinerary, death certificates, passing from one officer to another, wasting my time and effort submitting this claim, the final letter by QBE then wrote to us in May 2018 after 6 months, only we were told we do not fulfill the condition as our credit card was activated late, and we did not purchase a to and return ticket, and invalidity of the medical condition as an existing illness totally not acceptable interpretation that traveler must have a return ticket before compensation allowed. The return ticket clause is interpreted as you have to have a ticket to return to Australia. This is incorrect interpreted by QBE as traveler can buy ticket to return after they traveled. I completed disagree with their interpretation. I will advise no to purchase any insurance from QBE travel , vehicle , car and intent to cancel all my policy. This is the worst company insurance I dealt with.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Peter, if you're unhappy with the outcome of the claim, you can escalate it to complaints@qbe.com

Sydney

Insurance claim made

Avoid at all costs unless you enjoy dramas caused by QBE

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2018

Took out an annual policy, 2 years in a row. Read the PDS before doing so and asked a number of questions, in writing, of them to clarify a number of exclusions. All good proceeded to take out the policy. my husband had an accident overseas in January, broke his shoulder, QBE tried to get him to fly back in economy on his own back to AUS as he needed an operation. After much tooing and froing they finally agreed that he could have the operation in the US. Anyway, I don't have 2 days to tell you all the issues. QBE apparently booked an extra seat for him on the way back. This was booked incorrectly. In massive pain my husband flew back in the exit aisle with a sling on his arm. No limousine to collect him from the airport, no medical assistance as promised to get on the plane and also to get off.
When questioned about this, they lied and made excuses initially saying things like due to demand medical services are not available.My husband was doped up on Oxycotin and tramadol at the same time to alleviate the pain. QBE uses CORPORATE TRAVEL MANAGEMENT to do their bookings. This company must employ 4 year olds. The tickets had been incorrectly booked as had eveything else. We would this out after V Australia launched an investigation because QBE staff are lazy and not interested in assisting injured clients overseas.CTM also were providing incorrect information to QBE to cover their tracks. Big corporate account that they don't want to lose. CTM actually accused us of lying. When we requested evidence of text messages , it appears the text messages were sent to the wrong numbers. No surprises that we didn't get messages. Dealing with the QBE Customer Care staff to the IDR staff, the culture of the company is that all staff treat the client with contempt. The matter is 6 months old and the Ombudsman is involved to still get answers. The pain that this company has caused is insurmountable.
So you would be horrified if I went into all the details.
STAY AWAY. We have friends who run their own travel agency in Sydney and after our experience they refuse to offer clients QBE travel insurance. I note that QBE have an official who comments on these posts. No need to do that in this instance because I will respond in a direct manner and you won't be happy with the responses.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Nogoer, we're sorry to hear about this experience. We will PM you for your claim number and details and will look into this ~BLS

Insurance claim made

This is an insurance that actually work!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2018

very happy with QBE's dealing with my travel insurance claim. back in Nov 2017 I claimed few thousand dollars for a theft while travelling inside Australia, basically my rental car window was broken and items were stolen form inside. items weren't a big issue, from memory, around $400. But, my car Rental company, Thrifty Perth Airport charged me nearly $3000 for a broken window!!
Although I wasted 1 month with Thirty trying to get them to look at the charge again, they weren't willing to move 1 dollar!
then i applied to QBE and in 2 weeks they refunded almost $2,500 (sure there is excess and they do not cover admin fees and card fees that I was charged, but at least they covered the big chunk of the bill)

As for Thrifty, it's ridiculous, avoid them at any cost,they simply took the opportunity of the theft incident to turn it into a catastrophe, stealing from me way more than the street thieves).

Comments
QBE Official

Hi Ralph, we're glad to hear you are pleased with our travel insurance! ~SS

1 of 10 pages

I got given some money recently from a claim but it's short of what it should be and there was absolutely no reference to it or the calculations. The only thing it said upon payment was "as per letter issued 29th Jan" which has NOT been issued as I have received absolutely nothing but via email or post. I have emailed straight back when this claim payment notification came through on the 31st and I have heard nothing at all so I am getting quite frustrated and angry now. I am glad for the payment, don't get me wrong (as it had been a long time of waiting over 7wks) but not when it's been calculated wrong and shortchanged without reference to me to clarify. It's a minimum of $70-80 short, if not more (depending on if an excess is charged and how much that is). This is bull, and I need someone to contact ME asap.

Laudie W asked on Feb 08, 2018

Answer this

Hi Laudie, we can look into this, if you can please private message your claim number alternatively call us on 133 723

I don't know how to private message you. I have emailed and recently got another letter sent which again is only the front page confirming the amount t paid, referring to "the next page" for a breakdown but there was only one page sent. So now I replied again only yesterday and now have been told I have to wait yet another 10 days for a responce! Not good enough. Travel claim 619469

I have paid for UK trip on my ANZ Visa. This entitles us to free travel insurance with QBE. Is this safe???

Judith K asked on Nov 29, 2017

Answer this

Hi Judith, providing you have met the eligibility criteria for complimentary travel insurance, then you are covered per the PDS that can be found here - https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/using/premium-insurance/ Enjoy your trip! ~BLS

Only if you have time, patience and are happy to wait months for the resolution of any claim you may make.

I booked jetstar flights for my 3 family members and I last year and managed to obtain the tickets very cheaply, as they are non refundable and can be changed unless I pay a lot of money to do so. We now can't take the trip because my husband lost his job and now has a new job, which means he can not take annual leave. I purchased the dates on my anz visa, so have travel insurance. Am I able to make a claim for these flights with the reason being because of my husband unfortunately not being able to take annual now?

Need A Holiday asked on Sep 17, 2017

Answer this

Hi, and thanks for your question. Given the number of factors involved in eligibility for certain cards, we can't answer your question directly here, but recommend submitting a claim via https://www.qbe.com.au/personal/claim#claim-travel so one of our claims officers can assess if you're covered or any additional information you might need to provide to determine this.

If you look at all the other complaints and the hoops you have to go thru with providing multiple copies of proof and information, I would say, don’t bother as you will be given the run around without compensation. Save yourself the pain and frustration. I also have paid for my upcoming holiday with my NAB credit card, but after reading the horror stories, I will in future change credit card provider as there are other better deals around.

See all 18 questions about QBE Travel Insurance