Models:

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Dec 2009

Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2018

Purchased unit either late 2009, early 2010
After few months unit stopped and waited over 2 weeks for a technician to come out and have a look.
Rang head office several times and getting the run around. End up getting technician out who bypassed the pump until could come out and fix. Fixed a couple of weeks later.
Yesterday the unit stopped with 2 red lights flashing, technician came out and tried resetting with no luck.
Purchased in 2009-2010 and stopped using for about 1 1/2 years due to rebuilding house.
If you look at the cost and years actually used, not value for money.
Have sent an email to fair trading because I believe not reasonable life for a unit so expensive.
Rang head office and asked to speak with manager, was told only option to send an email.
Customer service is as good as the product they sell....poor.
Have sent an email today waiting for a response.

Even the technician explained issues with earlier models.

Michael

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Mike, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. However, we cannot obtain your information given the limitations of this w... read more »

I have already emailed customer service team with no response.

Drouin

• 2 answers

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Dec 2009

Ordinary

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

Called out to repair one of these today. The operation problems and faults were obvious. Complete engineering disaster applenty.
Due to how many of these installed locally we are looking at building a rework kit to save people some money. Unfortunately wont cover take failure.
Rheeme solar hot water is just as bad. Installers and rheem warranty agents dont have a clue.

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Customer, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustome... read more »

Thank you Ream Australia for leaving a reply. Now can you kindly return to my original post and read it carefully.

• 2 comments
  • 11 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Aug 2009

The worst heat pump period

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2018

Purchased 2009 ,problems started around 12 mth Mark and then nearly every 24 months pretty much on cue , two electronic boards, a recall procedure fix a pipe I think , a tx valve then followed ,with a huge bill to degas and regas , now the compressor has died as the onset of winter must of loaded it up too much ,but I will not be going back for more punishment this time ,three grand plus repairs down the drain . The good thing now is there are plenty of decent heat pumps out there on the market , Rheem should hang there head in shame at their inability to rectify all the hws’s they sold after initial problems by the thousands started to present themselves ,rather they chose to keep selling a product they knew was a lemon straight off the shelf ,effectively cashing in on the customers belief that the Rheem name meant quality .
My advise along with the plenty of others on this highly effective platform “Product Reveiw” ,is stay away, far far away .

Comments
Rheem Official

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Sep 2009

it ok for summer not winter!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

Hi everyone my hot water system just work in the summer but winter lucky it works for a few time head from exhausted at work in the winter get into the shower you get what??? What do you feel with that product to sell to public plus at night it makes so much hamming noise and tech come to inspect and goes wo notice

Comments
Rheem Official

Gold Coast

• 4 answers

Model: 554325 Date Purchased: Oct 2012

RUN AWAY if you are considering buying one of these.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2018

Garbage unit, now 7 years old and I have to replace it. Four warranty call outs in the first 3 years. Wires are burning near a connection and could possibly have caught fire. Worked well for a while but at a 3.5k cost now. RUN AWAY. Judging by recent reviews they arent any better now than when we got ours.

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Deeson, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrel... read more »

The issue is your heat bank system is rubbish. Every installer I have spoken to agrees and those unlucky enough to have had one installed is finding out. There are others out there that also don't ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 question

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Worst pumps and service ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

I’ve called a couple of times as the water seems luke warm intermittently, it’s a big unit and only 3 in the house and we don’t shower for more than 5 mins, so I call the company and the first time it was 5 yrs old out of warranty nothing we can do about it, now again I call and they want to charge me for someone to have a look at it, a HWS should last longer than 5 years, I had the same HWS at my previous house and stuffed up after 3 yrs and they just wipe their hands of you, don’t ever buy a rheem unless you don’t need hot water

Comments
Rheem Official

• 3 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Sadly, the reviews are right. This product is awful

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2018

Where to start. Didn't even get 2 year of use out of this unit. Was installed at new home and sat idle for a year before settlement. Once we moved in, the TX valve went 12 months in and was fixed by the builder. 8 month later the compressor goes which costs over $1,000 to supply and install. 2 plumbers recommended replacing this with a better brand heat pump, one that is reliable. Gladly, this unit sits in a skip. While it was working, it was noisy, much louder than the new one.

Avoid this at all costs.

Comments
Rheem Official

Brisbane

Date Purchased: Apr 2009

Total lemon. Rheem fail in their duty to care for their valued customers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

Very expensive unit to buy and run (blatantly lied to about cost effectiveness versus solar) . Have spent at least $1000.00 in repairs and now it's stuffed up again. Honestly Rheem you should offer to replace this lemon. I do not have the money to fix it again! I am truly destitute and desperate.

Purchased at: Rheem Australia

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Sal, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrela... read more »

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Hopeless, confusing a joke

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2018

Unit failed one the day we moved into the property it had little use and the plumber said the units are crap, poor design and not worth repairing. We have the unit in bypass but the costs are killing us. Do NOT buy this hws I am surprised that they still are selling them
Greg Bendigo 0447447600

brisbane

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jun 2010

Stopped working, again!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

This unit first failed with a pump seizure only 12 months or so from new. The service technician was most helpful in getting it going again, and also very honest about the sort of problems I could expect due to fundamental design problems. Now the unit has failed completely failed about three months ago. Fortunately I have a conventional storage HWS that I've able to switch to as a backup, so at least we have hot water.

What has been most interesting however is the difference in electricity consumption!

My bill has gone from $1300 down to $900 in the 3 months since the unit stopped working. No other changes to consumption patterns, only difference is that our hot water for the last 3 months has been via a conventional (off-peak) storage system (also a Rheem) and no longer from the heat pump. If I extrapolate this over the years that the heat pump has been installed then I estimate this Rheem 325 heat pump has actually COST me nearly $10,000 more to run than a simple off-peak storage unit would have cost me.

This is crazy! So much for energy efficiency.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Peter, Our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrelations@rheem.com.au, referencing this feedback, ... read more »

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2018

Don't purchase them, it has been trouble from day one and huge power bills, had the compressor replaced after a couple of months now it gone again after seven years looking at other reviews there seems to be a lot of unhappy people out there with these pieces off crap.

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Trev, We appreciate the feedback and would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrelations@rheem.com.au, referencing this revi... read more »

I have had to replace it with a normal electric unit as a family cant go without hot water

Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2018

I installed my unit with my new holiday house which I use for 20 days per year.
So I’ve had the unit on for 100 days and now it’s dead.
Woman at rheem making small talk and telling me about how solar panels work in the moonlight.
I ditched my unit and installed a normal heater today for $1,000.
So much for efficiency.
There should be some comeback on rheem though.

Comments
Rheem Official

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2012

Rheem quality and customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

I purchased this unit on mgt.recommendation about 6 years ago. The unit failed within a month.it was put on bipass because rheem did not have the parts. 3 years later I called up rheem because of very high electricity bills. Rheem installed new parts and took it off bipass. 1 month later it failed .I called up rheem and they put it again on bipass. 3 years later after very high electricity charges I called up rheem last nov.2017 and they took it off bipass and got heat exchanger to work. In dec 2017. The unit stopped working properly. I switched the unit off and went on holidays. In march 2018. I called up rheem . They came up and checked the water heater and told me it is dead and can't be run as heat exchanger.
I contacted rheem via email and told them that at best I have had 2 months use out of this $4000+unit. It has cost me at least $6000+ in additional electricity charges. I took out off peak meter on rheem recommendation. Would they come and repair or replace or discount on new reliable unit. This unit was recalled and rheem sent me no notification.
It is over a month and no response from rheem. I would strongly recommend stay away from rheem. They are no longer an Australian company and dont care about customers. Rheem you have done this to many customers. The web is full of complaints about your product and customer service. If I can make a comment about the technicians they are very good and helpful . It is the product office staff and mgt. That is the problem

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Customer, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. We cannot locate your details from this website. If you could please em... read more »

I will send rheem my details

Rheem contacted me several times and wanted me to pay to have the unit repaired or purchase another rheem heater. The cost of repairs was over $800 with maximum warranty of 12 months and rheem tech... read more »

• 18 helpful votes

Model: 55131007 Date Purchased: Dec 2009

Energy efficient what a laugh

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 30, 2018

Installed Dec 2009. Had constant problems with heat pump not working Rheem came out and replaced some valve twice then the heat pump failed altogether Just outside warranty period quoted ridiculous price to exchange heat pump. Power bills were enormous didn’t realise the heater had a broken thermostat and continued to heat the water. Expensive tea kettle.
Have installed a 305 litre standard hot water service power bills have never been so low.
Looking at the reviews wondering if I can claim back the extremely high power bills from Rheem for producing such a product. Definitely has not been the energy saving device as it was advertised.
You would expect the unit to at least get past the 10 year mark for the price.

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Mackino, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerre... read more »

Victor Harbor

• 6 helpful votes

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: May 2012

WARNING - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2018

We are just one of many unhappy Rheem customers! Our Rheem Heat Pump Water Heater was installed in our home in 2012 (and was expensive). There are only two people here and hot water is primarily only used for showers. After five and a half years, without warning, it ceased heating, so we contacted Rheem for the contact details of an authorized agent to come out. He found there were MULTIPLE problems, including system circulation pump badly corroded, impellar catching on housing, system pulling into vacuum, and TX valve (and, of course, he charged us for the callout). Concerned about the condition of the HWS after such a comparatively short time, we rang Rheem who sent THEIR employee out to check. According to him, we needed a new heater, not just a repair, and he quoted for this. After ringing Rheem again (we had to because they didn't get back to us as promised) they simply offered a discount on the purchase of a new model. If we can expect to have to replace it again in another five years, WHY would they think we would be prepared to spend thousands on another one??? We will never purchase another Rheem product!

Comments
Rheem Official

Dear Grady, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to further investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcu... read more »

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jul 2011

Just an expensive joke. Will never buy another Rheem

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

Purchased in 2011 as at the time were told we could only have solar or a heat pump to replace a 20 year old electric unit. Roof wasn't suitable for solar so went with the Rheem heat pump.

Seven years later has failed and uneconomic to repair (apparently the heat pump part is completely corroded and not repairable. The tank is fine)

The issue is that we went down this path as it was supposedly environmentally friendly not to mention the cost of around $3,500.00.. So my question to Rheem is how is a water heater that lasts only 7 years in any way friendly to the environment given the energy used in making the the thing as well as transporting it.

I have been told that the standard warranty is 5 years on tank and 2 years on heat pump so obviously Rheem don't expect these water heaters to last very long.

Would suggest you stay away from Rheem. I certainly will never buy another one of their products.

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Mark, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to further investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcusto... read more »

CALGA, NSW

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Sep 2011

Biggest waste of money in my life!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2018

It worked OK until it was one month out of warranty. We ran out of hot water one evening and I had to get an electrical/refrigeration company to come and check it out. They said something about a blocked "TX valve" and that the unit was "pumping down". They gave me the option to change the valve which sounded very involved and also very expensive with no guarantees. They also gave me the option to rewire the unit so it uses the backup element full time. I opted for this seeing as the refrigeration unit seemed so costly and unreliable. It also showed up on product review that I had been stung. These units are a total lemon and total waste of money. There's no way it would have worked long enough to pay itself off. Now I'm stuck with a hot water unit that only heats a third of its capacity at full peak power. So it cost me $3000 and then $300 in a service call and now it costs me even more in electricity! Lose lose situation. STAY AWAY FROM THESE UNITS AND DO NOT GET STUCK WITHOUT HOT WATER!!! Highly disappointed and have had a semi working system for quite a few years now as we have not had thousands lying around for another hot water system and we don't have off peak either :(

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Jono, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrelati... read more »

Hi there,

I have responded to your email request and I'm just waiting to hear back from you.

Cheers,

Jono M

Model: 551310 Date Purchased: Dec 2009

Not worth the money spent I think

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2018

Bought the 551310 in late 2009. Has worked on and off for a few years now with frustration. It's now dead. I've conducted all troubleshooting methods without success including cleaning out the impeller with was a little dirty. Had a Rheem Tech come out and advise me in 2 mins that the unit needs replacing and that I should have changed the anti-rust mode on the unit every 3-4 years. Go figure. No-one ever advised me if this .He's quoted a ridiculous amount to replace approx 5k.With the amount it costs to buy and install one of these things I reckon the unit should last a minimum of 20 years. Any suggestions ? or should I just look at an Aquamax Stainless Unit or Rennai Infinity?

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Nat, We are sorry to hear about your experience and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. If you could please email your contact details through to rheemcustomerrelatio... read more »

Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Jul 2010

Always problems

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2018

Fan thing was always problem. Eventually had it replaced at my expense! Now after 7 years the tank has rusted out at the top and leaks. Actually rusted through. The cover hasn’t rusted the tank has rusted!! Really??? This doesn’t happen over night! So I’ve called Rheem and got the usual out off warranty bla bla, customer service will ring you back. Don’t buy anything from Rheem it will rust

Verified Purchase Model: 551325 Date Purchased: Mar 2011

Never ending problems!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2017

I have been extremely dissatisfied with this HWS 325 litre. For a family of 3. Only 6.5 yrs old and paid $4,200 in March 2011 including labour and installation along with the ongoing issues which all seem to fall out of warranty. In one year (early 2016) spent almost $1,000on TX valve and circulation pump faulty. In same year the fan motor burnt out and needed replacing another $500!. Now in October 2017 the compressor had failed and have been quoted $1200 for part and labour. Very very disappointed with all of these major faults etc. This system had costed several thousand $$$$$ and will now just replace it, not throwing any more Money at it. Once again only 6.5 yrs old and the problems started at 4.5 yrs. It is also a very noisy system . I would welcome any feedback from Rheem directly as to why this system seems to be such a "lemon" also forgot to mention 6 weeks after installation received a recall letter re an occurring fault in an electrical component which the compressor could rupture. The system was checked and supposedly "ticked off" as being ok. you could say this system with all repairs labour etc has costed about $1000 per year and now I still useless after 6.5 yrs.

Purchased at: Metropolitan Plumbing

Comments
Rheem Official

Hi Ellie, We are sorry to hear about your situation and our customer service team would like to investigate the issue. However, due to limitations from the website, we are unable to search for you... read more »

1 of 19 pages