Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jan 2016

What a joke

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

We had issues for months with the hot water cutting out and had a technician come out and they couldn't fault the product. (They charged me a $195 call out fee) They suggested replacing the tapware due to water flow restrictions, so we did, nothing changed. The technician came out again and still could not the problem. After he left, the hot water system magically started working perfectly. They are now refusing to refund me the call out fee (its still under warranty) saying it is not the unit. They are blaming the install but can't tell me why the hot water system started working that day. Warrently is a joke. Rinnai is a joke. AVOID buying rinnai products at all costs, especially the B26 model that is so sensitive I'm not been told I need to re-plumb my house. Furious!!!!!

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Ash, we are sorry to hear you have had issues with the unit. We are happy to further investigate the diagnosis with the unit. If you can contact us via enquiry@rinnai.com.au... read more »

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Feb 2004

Had since 2003 and going strong but....!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2017

Had this heater since 2003 and has been flawless but just noticed recently(two months) that I have to set temperature 3 degrees higher to get same temperature as usual (set to 45 to get 42 temp now)...not sure if this is due to age of heater or if there is anything I can do?? Ingrid

Comments
Rinnai Official

Hi Ingrid, due to the age of the heater we would suggest you book a Service Call to see what the problem is. you can contact Rinnai's 1sCare department on 1300 555 545 and select option 2 for Service

• 2 answers

Model: 26 Touch Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Infinite hot water on demand, saves energy, lowers cost

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

I am blown away by how darn efficient these Rinnai Touch natural gas units are.. our old electric storage units had all but died, delivering little, whilst chewing though endless kWh of expensive electricity.. i wondered if instant gas could deliver, but am absolutely thrilled at the outcome.. I turn the hot tap on and enjoyed long showers of steady and hot flow, my wife filled the spa bath with steaming hot water for the first time in years, amazing performance from such a compact water heater.. and we now only pay for the gas used whilst the hot tap is turned on. No more wated electricity reheating a tank full of 400 litres water storage unit, only to find temperature dropping half way through the first shower. I highly recommend these Rinnai Touch 26 units, easy to install, easy to use wireless remote control from anywhere around the house, allowing us to bump up the temperature for the kitchen, or lower it as desired for showers etc.. perfect.. Well Done Rinnai, thank you for a great, efficient, compact product, that works every bit if not better and easier than your promo claims.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Steve, we are happy to hear the changeover to an Infinity has proved such an improvement in the delivery of hot water to your family. We wish you many more hot water years ahead.

• 6 helpful votes

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Can only use one hot water tap at a time!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 07, 2017

I purchased this unit around a year ago, having been told it would be suitable for a family of four with 2 bathrooms. However it can only run one hot tap at any one time. If two hot water taps are turned on at the same time, one instantly cuts out, usually the shower furthest from the unit. This happens frequently, and the water takes some time to run hot again. This is not fun. We now have to co-ordinate our showers as it is not possible to run two showers at once. We cannot even run a kitchen tap and a shower at the same time. This is enormously frustrating and annoying. Definitely not suitable for a family home.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Abbey68, the Infinity 26 should be more than capable of running 2 taps at the same time. It's possible that there is a gas or water flow issue that is causing the problems an... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jun 2013

Service is Professional

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

I have owned a Rinnai Infinity 26 for a few years now and have been extremely happy with it. I think the good water pressure and correct gas pipe diameter makes a difference as we can literally have two showers running concurrently with no issues.

Recently a power surge took our part of my unit where the surge protector fried.

I called a general plumbing company ... a size-able one (will just call them JP) who claimed they knew their stuff but the service turned out to be a dispute as they attempted to charged $190 simply by agreeing there is a problem ..but they had no parts so a second visit would incur another call-out fee ... then the clock starts again ... not to mention the parts will still need to be paid for assuming they got all the right parts during their second visit ... else another vicious cycle.. I effectively argued the case because the plumber spent less than 5 minutes on site and could do nothing.

I called Rinna 1st Carei. Whilst their call out rate was $195 it included 45 minutes labor - the other company charged $75 callout plus $43 every 15 minutes so you can do the math in terms of risk with the latter. The technician that turned up knew his stuff and most importantly he had the parts in his van and was able to resolve my problem on the spot very quickly. Because the call-out included 45 minutes labor he did not just disappear but did some basic checks and serviced the unit (e.g. cleaning the filter) for me as well - that was impressive as he could have just left after solving my problem. The part was ~$100 which I thought was reasonable.

The old adage, you get what you pay for, rings true for my experience. You can take your chances saving a % but you will incur the risk dealing with people who have no idea. Given it is not something we need often, I have learnt to go with the pro even if they charge a little more - at least it will be done properly. Better to save money on recurring items like groceries and leave the technical stuff to experts.

Good job on your service Rinnai.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Jonathan, it's frustrating to hear of service providers not living up to their promises to be experts in our products. We are glad to hear the Rinnai technician was able to rectify the problem for you

Blair ATHOL, Adelaide

• 3 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Mar 2014

Very good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2017

This water heater has been very good with no trouble at all the gas usage has been significantly less than the last continuous flow heater that this replaced we also splurged and had the controllers installed one general and one bathroom it is a real luxury to have a shower and not have to mix the hot water, we have a small house and while showering if another hot or cold tap is turned on there is no difference in the shower temperature just a bit less flow

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Joda5084, temperature controllers really do take the hassle out of adjusting the taps and you always know exactly how hot the water will be.

Richmond

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Dec 2016

2600 rennai

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2017

So i have had a reinnai 2600 infinity upgrade unit installed for about a year now with no problems at all my unit before that was also a rinnai 2600 which lasted me 9 years. My tennant is now complaining that there is not enough hot water coming through all the taps and showers in the house. So i called my plumber who came round he then started to fault find the issue he measured my gas flo which from the gas metre which was a pass. He said an error on the touch pad was coming up with error code 12 which is flame sensing device in the unit. Cause my unit is under warranty he said to call rennai which i did. They then sent out one of there plumbers and he said it's not enough gas flo. I then got my gas metre upgraded to hi flo. I was still having the same issue. Rennai then sent me a bill for $380 which i refused to pay. They would not change flame device untill i paid them their bill. I called my plumber and he came and changed the part which cost $19. Issue all fixed and working fine. So i upgraded the metre for nothing all for a $19 part. Well done rennai. Now you are going to get a bill for my plumber my tennant wants rent reimbursement and you can pay for my upgrade of the metre. So it's been good for a couple of months now but guess what the problem is back and rennai don't want to do anything about it well think again i am one upset customer and will never use your crap again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Danny, we would like to review the circumstances of your job booking. If the gas lines to the unit were not sufficient to run the unit correctly this is something that will n... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Not user friendly. Intermittent hot water.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

Had the 16 installed (no remote, no visible controls aside from the intake valves) approx a year ago, has been fine until now. All of a sudden I am not getting any hot water at all. It is just a couple of feet away from my kitchen and despite running the hot water tap for a minute or more, I get no hot water.
I was told by the plumber at the time of installation, that if I did have any trouble with the unit, to simply switch off the power supply then turn it back on again.
I tried this and it did not help. It has been 4 days now of no hot water. Prior to that it had gone out for 3 days, but then randomly worked again for 1 day.
There is no way that I can access inside the unit to check the pilot light as it is fully sealed and there is no panel to see any error codes.
I cannot recall which unit I had previously, but I wish I had the same one because at least then when the hot water did go out, all I had to do was go relight the pilot light and open the hot water tap to boot it up.
I am on a very low income and cannot afford for a plumber to come out, not to mention that it would be very embarrassing and frustrating if he/she arrived to investigate then the hot water was working fine at that moment, then stopped working again after he/she leaves.
It would be great if I could find some information online that is not in pdf form, on how to troubleshoot the problem. All the info I have found so far only refers to units with remote controls/ error codes.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thank you for your inquiry. The Infinity units do not have a pilot light and should start as soon as a hot tap is turned on. To operate the gas, water and power must all be connected to the unit fo... read more »

Batemans Bay NSW

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Sep 2014

a real problem

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Our B26 has become very unreliable. We have two separate identical systems in our house, both connected to the same water and gas supply, installed about two and a half years ago. One works perfectly. One started playing up about two months ago and progressed from an intermittent problem to a consistent one over about a one month period. Symptoms are that it will not fire up first thing in the morning and late at night and occasionally in the middle of the day. On turning on the hot tap it will fire up for a couple of seconds, then off then on for a few seconds, then stay off. I then turn off the tap and then on again. It repeats the same behaviour maybe three times before eventually staying on. Our local gas technician had a look and changed the gas regulator to a top shelf model even though he believed that the other one was ok. It made no difference. He suggested that it was a problem with the Rinnai 26. We then contacted Rinnai and they sent their technician. First trip he couldn't work it out so contacted Rinnai for help.They sent him a gauge to measure the gas pressure (a lovely young man but why a Rinnai tech doesn't have a suitable gauge of his own is a quandry) The tech arrived back and the gauge showed that there was fluctuating pressure at the connection point just before the actual Rinnai heater. He rang a more experienced tech with the gauge readings, whose opinion was that the reading fluctuation was the cause of the problem and not the heater itself. I then got the local gas tech back who blew out the lines (nothing of note came out) and tested the pressure ( he owns his own gauge) at the same connection point as used by the Rinnai tech . His gauge indicated a very slight drop in pressure on activation and then normal pressure, which in his opinion is acceptable. The problem didn't go away- the malfunction is still the same. In summary, this heater had worked perfectly from new for about two years - the line is fine, the gas reg is perfect, there is nothing in the line and the other heater connected to the same supply works perfectly. It all points to a problem with the Rinnai 26

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Dave, we are sorry to hear of the issues you have faced with your unit and would like to investigate further. Can you please contact us through our enquiry@rinnai.com.au mentioning this review and we will be in touch.

Gold Coast

• 3 answers

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Nov 2008

Good in Theory, Not in Reality

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2017

To start with, my Rennai Infinity 26 REU-V2626WG(50)-AK continuous hot water system was specified by my builder and installed when my house was built. It has been operating without fail for 8 years, so it has been reliable. So why do I have a problem with it?
I live on the Gold Coast, every summer the mains water temperature gets to around 25 degree Celcius. When having a shower in summer the hot water turns on and off as the Rennai Infinity 26 switchs on and off due to the low hot water demand flow rate. Consequently in summer I have cold showers as I've given up trying to have hot showers because the hot water stops and starts. This will also occur with all other hot water outlets in my house, I have either full hot water or cold water. As soon as I adjust the tap mixer to warm the hot water turns off.
My Rennai instant hot water systems is good in theory but in reality it's annoying. I do have continuous hot water but not continuous warm water which is what I actually want most of the time. I'm now thinking of installing a gas heated hot water cylinder connected after the Rennai Infinity 26 so I get reliable warm water at any flow rate.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Howard, do you have temperature controllers for your hot water unit? The issue you are describing as you have mentioned is due to the flow rate and temperature rise the unit ... read more »

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. My unit does not have temperature controllers. I have to run a tap on full hot to get constant hot water. If I adjust the tap to warm the water goes cold. Can I add temperature controllers?

Rinnai Official

Hi Howard. There does have to be a minimum flow rate through the unit, with the controllers it means it is just hot water flowing which can help with this. Controllers can be added both wired or wireless and can be ordered from any Rinnai stockist.

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Not happy

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

Bought a brand new house and moved in 4 weeks ago and the builder installed the 16 unit per the developer. The hot water seems to come through quicker in the shower but the basic vanity tap seems to take ages and wastes a lot of water. This is also the case in my kitchen - not happy as want instant hot water and no wastage of water.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Anita, we are sorry to hear you are disappointed with your Infinity unit. The hot water produced at the unit will have to push through the cold water in the pipe work before ... read more »

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Ok when weather is warm, doesn't work in the cold

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2017

Had two B16s installed during renovations, one for the bathroom and one for the ensuite.
We get plenty of reliable hot water for a family of five people -but only for 8 months of the year.
As soon the temperature starts to go below 12-15°c the continuous flow hws starts to struggle and alternates between just warm and freezing cold.
I dont live in Antarctica either... I think its fair to think my two hws should work in metro Adelaide during the cooler months?
Occasionally with just the correct amount of twizzling on the mixer tap you can find a sweet spot where the water flows at a reasonable temperature.
Also, when this is happening the exaust gets a sickly gas smell like it is running rich or not properly burning all of its gas.
Apart from that its great.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Tim. It is certainly not normal for the unit to act in this way. We would like to investigate this further for you. Could you send your contact details to us via the enquir... read more »

Goonengerry

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jan 2009

Lightning strike

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2017

It was great till lightning hit my house now its dead as and no one is willing to help me ,,,,just shell out for a new one no way that's going too happen,,,,,and now I have to write an essay too submit this what a joke now is this long enough for you

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the comment John. Have you had the unit inspected by a Rinnai authorised plumber? Depending on the damage, it may be possible to repair the damage. We would recommend calling our 1st C... read more »

Canberra

Model: 20 Date Purchased: May 2017

Written Material about the product

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

I have searched the internet for 2 hours and I can find no reference as to whether or not the Infinity range 16, 20 B26, 26 requires an electrical power point at or near to the position of intended installation of the product. We need to find this information before we purchase the item.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review She, all the units in the Infinity range require a power point in order to operate. Our website has downloads for each of the products, including Operating and Installati... read more »

Thank you. I needed that information. We need to install it where there is no electricity. Your response is really appreciated. She

Model: 32 Enviro Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Very Good Product

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2017

Very good model. Good looking and easy to use. Though quality of the main body looks bit think but it is ok once install it. Also installation process is very easy. It consumes less power I guess. makes it very cost effective. I have noticed reasonable benefits of using the product.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Shashi, we are glad to hear you are happy with your unit, from installation to usage.

Merrimu

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jan 2017

B26. Excellent, and that's all there is to it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

I Purchased a Rinnai B26 instantaneous water heating unit to replace the ridiculously hopeless Dux gas booster that was part of our Dux gas boosted solar system and the system has never worked better. We had the Dux system installed new 7 years ago when the house was built and it's been thoroughly hopeless. The instant the Rinnai unit was fitted just after Christmas the system performance increased dramatically and we have a truly endless supply of piping hot water. Simply superb, but then I've come to expect that from Rinnai. Our last house had a Rinnai Infinity that was ten years old when we sold the house, and I'd happily bet anything you like that it's still going just fine.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review George5793, we are always pleased to hear when our products are just the right fit for our customers.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Mar 2003

The Best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

We installed an infinity 16 in our motorhome so it gets shaken and bashed as well as dust, salt air and very extreme heat and cold.
It's still working like the day we installed it over 13 years ago. The deluxe controllers give is the power to save water as well when living on a water tank.
Not to mention we have many children on board so it's made our travel life so much more comfortable. We wouldn't recommend anything else and if it ever fails we'll be buying another Rinnai.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Holiday Road. It's great to hear your INFINITY 16 has served you so well over the years.

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Would never recommend

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 30, 2017

Had this less than 2 years and hated it from day one. Will only work if tap on full blast. Terrible water wastage as it takes so long to heat - I live in a very small house. Can brush teeth and wash face and only then is it coming hot. Not hot enough to take grease of frypan so have to boil kettle. Been told I'm fussy. Never had these issues before. Don't buy.

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Argee, we are sorry to hear you are having so many issues with your new unit. Continous flow models do need a minimum flow rate in order to operate but the unit itself will s... read more »

Sydney

• 3 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Model: 26 Date Purchased: Jan 2017

B26 ... can't fault it so far after 2 weeks.( hence 4 stars at this point)

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2017

Our cylinder tank heater failed sending its contents as as a stream into the garden. Spoke with our plumber regarding alternatives to a cylinder. We agreed that the instant water options best suited our purposes. Rinnai appeared to have good write ups PLUS we have had a Rinnai heater in the past and were familiar with the Brand. we went for the B26 as it is similar to the i26 ( and a little easier on the wallet)...just some small differences in warranty length from what I can tell.
The B26 has been in a couple of weeks now and we are happy with the results. It should be noted that instant hot water does not necessarily mean instant at the tap....unless your tap is right next to the unit! We have found though that the delay in getting hot water to a tap in the furthest point from the boiler in the house (Kitchen), is actually improved with the B26 compared to the old cylinder.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Beardy Bonce, we are glad to hear the unit is working well for you. You are correct before hot water will reach the tap it does need to push out the water that is in the pipe... read more »

Absolutely... anything else would pretty much defy laws of physics:)

8 months on and we are so glad that we installed this unit...loving the fact that we can use 2 showers at the same time

Adelade

• 10 answers

Model: 16 Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Great system

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2017

Fantastic
Ihave a B16, not an infinity 16- not sure of the difference, but its always hot and the pressure is always there. Not had a problem with mine.
Its actually hotter than the last heater which was a 20 year old Bosch, plumber recommend Rinnai, even though it was a bit more cost than the Bosch

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Rinnai Official

Thanks for the review Kcir62, the unit you have is part of the builders range we offer and we are pleased to hear it is working well for you. We wish you many more years of continued use.

1 of 8 pages