Model: RHPK3000

Hopeless !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

Worked intermittently right from the get go - changed batteries - same problems as all the other reviewers - great idea poor manufacturing and performance going back for a refund!

Perth, WA

• 13 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 18 helpful votes

So so

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

Not sure which model that I have exactly however I have had mine for 5yrs+.
It was good at first but now I wouldn't recommend it.
You are better off buying a manual grinder.
They drain batteries like no tomorrow.
One of the LED lights on them has died.

Brisbane

Model: RHPK1000

The pepper mill didn't work from the day I received it

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2017

Received as a gift. Apparently the gift giver received this as a promotional giveaway but had no use for it so gifted it to me about a year later. Salt mill worked but pepper mill wouldn't work. Called Russell Hobbs but apparently it was old stock so they said there's nothing they could do. Pretty poor when it was a brand new item! Can't help but think that promotional items are old faulty stock they want to get rid of! Personally I think electric grinders are a gimmick.

Model: RHPK4000

Great!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2017

Bought a few weeks ago and so far it is great. The grinders are used every day and haven't had any issues so far. Compared to our last grinders these are much quieter too. The only small complaint is the amount of salt that comes out is a bit excessive and if you shake the grinder then more comes out, so just press the button briefly then shake it and voila!

Adelaide, South Australia

• 1 answer
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Model: RHPK3000

Extremely disappointed.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2016

These are a complete waste of money. Grossly underpowered for peppercorns despite requiring 6 batteries in each grinder, and you can completely forget about rock salt. Utterly useless for the task, just an overpriced, non-functioning decoration - no practical use whatsoever.

The best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2016

Best style far better than any of the new styles should bring this style back the latest style does not perform well at all to adjust the plus and minus is a joke mind just keeps turning but does not change the grind

Melbourne

• 1 answer

Model: RHPK1000

My pepper grinder fell apart too.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2016

The insides fell into my meal. I thought I'd got it all, but now it's happened again. The spring clip is now missing. I think I may have eaten it!

Port Macquarie

• 3 comments
  • 1 question
  • 12 helpful votes

Really pissed off....

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2016

Today we were using the pepper mill and it seriously just fell apart whilst in use. Even worse it was grinding whilst I was cooking above the food and the plastic somehow just snapped in two sections. One part I found, the other I didn't so I had to chuck the entire dinner away fearing the plastic obviously could have gone in my dinner and melted as it was cooking. Not to mention pepper corns everywhere over the entire kitchen. For the price I paid for these they are supposed to be (and are sold as) a premium product, what a joke.

Doesn't grind.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

Put the 6AAA batteries in, pressed the button down, and got excited by the sound. Put salt in, and boom! It started grinding. Much excitement. Pushed it down a second time. No more grinding. Removed salt to check everything was in working order, and it was. Simply doesn't do the one thing it should do: grind salt.

Excellent. Long lasting

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2015

We've had these for about 4years now and they are excellent. So good my mother has asked for them as her xmas gift. One popped apart after a friend thought they were manual and tried to twist but we put it back together and all working again. I love that it has a light and it grinds with ease every time. I would recommend these to all my friends and family.

San Antonio, TX

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Disappointment

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

Received as a gift. Lasted about 2 months of light use. Spring clip on the shaft of the salt mill came off and dumped parts everywhere. Even if I took the time to put it back together, the spring clip will only let go again. Into the garbage it goes. Waste of good space in the landfill. Pity I can't give a review of less than one star.

Purchased at: Myer

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Russell Hobbs electric salt & pepper mill set

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2014

Not good at all. Not a good grinder at all. I would much prefer using a manual one. As I use alot of pepper, hoping that the electric one would easy my strain of grinding manually. Alas, it is more money down the drain with this set.

Purchased at: Myer

Surfers Paradise

Review for RHPK1000RED - Good idea but poor design

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2014

These could have been great but unfortunately they were let down by a poor design which results in terrible corrosion due to salt contact. This results in frustrating intermittent problems. Batter life is poor as well. Wasn't able to easily adjust the salt and pepper grind - the pepper grind size was especially large.

+ Nice exterior colour and finish :-)

- Corrosion due to salt, poor battery life, can't adjust grind.

sydney

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

It broke after 1 year

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2013

It uses too much battery. 4xAA per unit and it lasted 3 months. I used energizer battery. I thought it should last longer. I used it max once a day.
Then one of them broke. Maybe the pepper is too hard to grind. Because I bought another one and the pepper one broke again.
I had 2 sets and they lasted less than 2 years altogether.
The stainless steel is shoddy. It leaves a Mark and it rusts around the edges. Horrible

The idea is good I give it 2 stars.

+ The idea

- battery. rust. broke

Purchased at: Kmart

not happy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2013

i spent my hard earnt $$$ on a set of these at xmas...they were not working all that well,then last month the salt grinder rusted out...phiff well what more can I say...just lucky they were on special or i would be after them..i will look around for different brand..thank you

+ nothing

- went rusty..what a joke..?stainless steel RUST

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Brisbane, QLD

• 4 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 32 helpful votes

Fabulous!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2013

The first set of these grinders lasted an unbelievable 9-10 years!! Seeing that there are a few poor reviews, I figure there must have been a bad batch or two, but I could not fault mine at all.
One of the grinding mechanisms finally perished about a year ago & after reading the more recent poor reviews I decided to try a set of Peugeot grinders, they came highly recommended but were rubbish.
I bought a new set of Russell Hobbs grinders a few weeks ago and am SOOO glad to have them back again.

+ They work! The variable grinder settings work. The satin stainless is actually stainless, not just coated plastic = easier to keep clean & lasts longer. And, they have a dish to sit on that catches any loose grinds.

Purchased at: Kmart

Perth

• 2 helpful votes

Great idea.....bad design

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2013

My first set broke in less than one year the second set broke in less than 2 months, the second set stopped being useable when the battery holder section got wedged in the outer cover so now it can't be put back together. The prongs get corroded by salt and too difficult to match prongs with the arrows on the cover after refilling............come on how hard can it be to make a more efficient, long lasting product you have the idea and very little competition this could be a great everday product but please lift your game.

+ Could be great

- Short, short life

Purchased at: Target Australia

A little frustrating

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2012

I found the peppercorns wouldn't grind - they seemed too big! After swapping the peppercorns over for smaller ones it seems to work fine. The salt crystals work fine. The clear plastic bases don't clip onto the unti which means I'm sure they'll go missing pretty quickly. They do look nice.

+ The lighht is great for using aroung the BBQ.

- Bases don't clip to the unit. Larger peppercorns won't grind as the don't fit into the little grinder.

Purchased at: Big W

absolute rubbish!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2012

Bought them ..thinking they were a good brand..BUT...trouble from the beginning...just didn't work!! the actual grinder was "plastic" therefore did NOT grind the peppers. Eventually gave up and bought different brand. Don't get sucked in by the name and looks. I don't like wasting my money so am very dissapointed.

- It didn't do what it was supposed to!!!

• 1 review
  • 10 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2012

I mean how hard is it to make a pepper mill that does not disintergrate in your hand. I have pepper mills 20 years old that still work just fine. Why would you buy a pepper mill that last a few months?

+ All the bell and whistles; light, recharge, that is all good.

- My pepper mill simply fell apart. I have 8 parts in a bowl that I cannot work out how to re-assemble.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

RHPK1000

Can someone please advise how you remove the cover to access the battery compartment on model RHPK1000? It was a gift but is now discontinued, with no instructions about how to remove the cover. Nothing seems obvious. Any help appreciated.

Chrissy2 asked on Jul 15, 2017

I've managed to open the battery compartment but can't open the bottom where the salt /pepper goes. It wont budge to the unlock sign, any ideas?

Kathy asked on Jun 24, 2017

Answer this

Hi Kathy,

I still have the set in my scrap metal collection which hasn't gone to the dump yet so have been able to find them and remind myself of how they connect. Holding one of the mills upright, one hand on the top part and the other on the bottom section, give the top a slight clockwise twist (only a small fraction of a turn) and then pull upwards on the top section and it should separate from the base.

Best of luck,

James.

We cant figure out how to put the rock salt in without taking the salt grinder apart. Help

del asked on Jun 21, 2016

Answer this

Hi, it's a bit tricky at first, but once you've done it it's easy. You simply twist the metal top anticlockwise until the black arrow is alignened with the open padlock symbol. Then lift the metal top right off until you see the black unit that holds the batteries. That black part just lifts straight out, exposing the hole where you fill it with the rock salt. It's the same for the pepper one. Hope it helps.

See all 4 questions about Russell Hobbs Satin Salt and Pepper Mill Set

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

The main difference between these models is colour