The Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq DLX has been replaced by the newer Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq MKII model.

• 1 answer
  • 61 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2011

Very good car seat really recommended for small cars and for people whereby you can forsee/ anticipate from parents that they are likely to have a petite child. I bought this as a carseat for my baby once he graduated from a capsule and hence we only got about 9 months use because me little guy is really long and tall and he out grew this by the age of 17months. It is a good seat though. I just do not see it lasting until a child is 4!

+ Very compact, simple and comfortable. Suitable from birth to toddler.

- As with all car seats, manufacturers need to redesign the harness so that kids cannot get their arms out pas the straps and worse still unbuckle the clip. It is just too easy for an adventuous bright child.

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2011

A bit dissapointed and wish I was able to try before I brought. Regretting my choice in seats, there are probably better seats out there that do a better job and that are a little more secure.

+ Small and compact.

- Very unsteady in the middle of the back seat so had to put it on the left side. Also stabaliser bar doesnt meet the back of the seat, fitter suggested that we place a rolled up towel between the seat and the bar. Said its a common compaint when fitting it in most cars. Dont feel that this is good enough!!!

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Victoria

• 1 comment
  • 2 questions
  • 4 answers
  • 21 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2012

We have been very pleased with the Safe-n-Sound Compag DLX which was recommended to us by shop staff when other types would not fit in our small car. Once you get the hang of loosening and tightening the straps then it is a great seat that is easy to clean and comfortable for the child. While the brand is more expensive than some others, it is worth it for the amount of use you get out of it. Our child is almost 3 and still using the seat quite comfortably. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

+ Great for small cars where other car seat types will not fit.

- Straps often get twisted easily and sometimes tighten themselves.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

Best car seat ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2012

+ From baby to child with no problems, slimline but roomy, easy to use and adjust straps, super comfy recliner for long trips.

- Quite expensive but not compared to buying a capsule and then a seat.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 answers
  • 44 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

We bought this for our newborn and had it installed rear-facing until our daughter was about six months old. We then converted it to forward-facing, reclined and then tilted it more upright as she grew taller and stronger. We had it installed in the middle, rear seat as this was where the anchor point was fitted. There was some lateral movement on account of the leather seats upholstery. We placed a towel under the seat to reduce this. We didn't feel this compromised the seat's safety. We've passed this seat on to another couple who for their daughter and they're very pleased with it.

+ Converts from rear-facing to upright, has several tilt angles when upright

- Some lateral movement but didn't compromise safety

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

Provided that you install the seat on one of the side seats, it works really well and is the best and safest buy on the market according to independent studies.

+ Easy to clean, install and convert between rear and forward facing. Am very happy with it as RACQ and Choice have rated the seat to provide exceptional crash protection and well above the AS requirements. See http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticleAsOnePage.aspx?id=105493

- Doesn't sit well in the middle of the car however they recommend that the seat should be installed on the sides anyway!

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

+ It takes up very little space. When it is in newborn mode, you don't have to put the seat in front forward at all, unlike other car seats. I like the fact that the material is the same as other seats in the safe n sound range so they can all match. Because the frame of the compaq deluxe is so much smaller we can fit it and two other car seats across the back of our little corolla.

- It didn't seem too stable in the middle seat, much better when we moved it to the side.

• 9 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

+ Great for smaller cars because it's compact, and for fitting other seats or people next to it. Fabric, padding and design are quality and last well.

- Extra padding and plush fabric aren't necessary for safety and add extra cost. It's a little shorter and narrower than ordinary seats so for taller children it may not be the best choice as they grow out of it more quickly.

• 2 answers
  • 133 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

This is a fantastic seat if you are tight for space across the back and need to fit 3 carseats or boosters. I would only buy this carseat if I needed a slimline model but there is definitely a market for this and it does provide excellent safety protection for my kids. It's very easy to install in rearward and forward facing mode and the manual button for adjusting straps is easy to use for a great fit. So great for small cars or 3 carseats across the back.

+ Slim design
Rearward and forward facing
Easy to install in both modes
Recline positions in forward facing

- Child can outgrow quicker than other wider seats

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2011

+ Easy to use, simple seat without the hassle of extra features. Size is perfect for a small car without being too tight for bub. Mid-priced.

- Belts tend to twist

• 1 comment
  • 4 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2010

If you have a smaller car this is a great car seat. We would have had to put the front seat forward to fit a standard car seat in, meaning the front passenger wouldn't have had much leg room. If you have a standard size sedan or larger though, I would go for a "normal" car seat. Because the Compaq is smaller to fit in smaller cars, when the carseat is rear facing it can be a bit squashy when getting an infant in and out.

+ Compact: fits in smaller cars well and can still fit two other passengers in the back seat

- It can be harder to get babies in and out of than the larger seats as it is made for smaller cars

Sydney

• 10 answers
  • 36 helpful votes
Private message

Great seat for three across the back

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2012

I bought this seat for my third child because it was the only one narrow enough to fit with a booster and a convertible booster in our Subaru - saved us having to buy a new car when our third was on the way. I've been really happy with it. It's compact but bub doesn't seem squashed. There's no unnecessary extra bits, just enough to make it safe and comfy, so not too many places for that baby vomit to hide. Cover comes off easily and can be machione washed. In the forward position it sits high and forward so our other seats fit it beautifully.

+ narrow, affordable, easy to clean

Purchased at: Mothercare

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

What other car seats have you got, i have a 2010 Subaru and need 3 seats across the back all facing forward

Which model Subaru do you have? We are looking at Subaru Outbacks 2008, but want to ensure we can fit 3 across the back.

1 of 3 pages

I had the Safe N Sound Meridian AHR Car Seat/Convertible to booster brand new in 2012 for my now four year old, will it be ok to use for my newborn now in 2017?

Cindy asked on Mar 12, 2017

Hello, does the Safe n Sound infant capsule that was manufactured in 2005 meet the new 2013 Australian Standards? Can it still be used? Thanks

Sara asked on Mar 11, 2017

I just bought a second hand seat called meridian its 2006 .where the adjustable button is, there is no strap that comes out underneath, is that right or did that model not work like that

Andy asked on Dec 21, 2016

Answer this

Hi Andy, thanks for your question. Our recommendation on the lifespan is anything 10 years or older should not be used. We recommend replacement at 10 years, due to deterioration of the plastics used in construction of modern restraints. A seat may have become brittle over time, and simply will not provide the same level of protection against impact. Older child restraints may not contain all the safety features of the latest Australian Standard. Kind regards, The Britax Team.

See all 11 questions about Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq DLX