The Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq DLX has been replaced by the newer Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq MKII model.

• 61 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2011

Very good car seat really recommended for small cars and for people whereby you can forsee/ anticipate from parents that they are likely to have a petite child. I bought this as a carseat for my baby once he graduated from a capsule and hence we only got about 9 months use because me little guy is really long and tall and he out grew this by the age of 17months. It is a good seat though. I just do not see it lasting until a child is 4!

+ Very compact, simple and comfortable. Suitable from birth to toddler.

- As with all car seats, manufacturers need to redesign the harness so that kids cannot get their arms out pas the straps and worse still unbuckle the clip. It is just too easy for an adventuous bright child.

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2011

A bit dissapointed and wish I was able to try before I brought. Regretting my choice in seats, there are probably better seats out there that do a better job and that are a little more secure.

+ Small and compact.

- Very unsteady in the middle of the back seat so had to put it on the left side. Also stabaliser bar doesnt meet the back of the seat, fitter suggested that we place a rolled up towel between the seat and the bar. Said its a common compaint when fitting it in most cars. Dont feel that this is good enough!!!

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Victoria

• 1 comment
  • 2 questions
  • 4 answers
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2012

We have been very pleased with the Safe-n-Sound Compag DLX which was recommended to us by shop staff when other types would not fit in our small car. Once you get the hang of loosening and tightening the straps then it is a great seat that is easy to clean and comfortable for the child. While the brand is more expensive than some others, it is worth it for the amount of use you get out of it. Our child is almost 3 and still using the seat quite comfortably. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

+ Great for small cars where other car seat types will not fit.

- Straps often get twisted easily and sometimes tighten themselves.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

Best car seat ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2012

I have twins and did a lot of research before buying. I wanted a seat that could be used from birth till 5 years and able to fit two in a car with a seat in the middle.
This car seat fulfilled my needs very nicely. My children stayed in this seat from the time they were born until they were almost 6. They are slim, but not too small. I actually think they could have stayed in longer because they still fit in there very easily right until the end. The only reason I got rid of them was because the kids wanted booster seats and wanted to use real seat belts.
They are very easy to use. A quick lift of a lever and I could shorten the straps for other smaller children (friends children) without any problem.
I'm very glad I bought these.

+ From baby to child with no problems, slimline but roomy, easy to use and adjust straps, super comfy recliner for long trips.

- Quite expensive but not compared to buying a capsule and then a seat.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 answers
  • 44 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

We bought this for our newborn and had it installed rear-facing until our daughter was about six months old. We then converted it to forward-facing, reclined and then tilted it more upright as she grew taller and stronger. We had it installed in the middle, rear seat as this was where the anchor point was fitted. There was some lateral movement on account of the leather seats upholstery. We placed a towel under the seat to reduce this. We didn't feel this compromised the seat's safety. We've passed this seat on to another couple who for their daughter and they're very pleased with it.

+ Converts from rear-facing to upright, has several tilt angles when upright

- Some lateral movement but didn't compromise safety

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

Provided that you install the seat on one of the side seats, it works really well and is the best and safest buy on the market according to independent studies.

+ Easy to clean, install and convert between rear and forward facing. Am very happy with it as RACQ and Choice have rated the seat to provide exceptional crash protection and well above the AS requirements. See http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticleAsOnePage.aspx?id=105493

- Doesn't sit well in the middle of the car however they recommend that the seat should be installed on the sides anyway!

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

Overall very happy with this car seat. The biggest thing in its favour is the size - for us the fact that we didn't have to move the seat in front forward to accommodate the newborn mode was our selling point. I would be wary if you had a particularly tall child, however no problem at all for an average child.

+ It takes up very little space. When it is in newborn mode, you don't have to put the seat in front forward at all, unlike other car seats. I like the fact that the material is the same as other seats in the safe n sound range so they can all match. Because the frame of the compaq deluxe is so much smaller we can fit it and two other car seats across the back of our little corolla.

- It didn't seem too stable in the middle seat, much better when we moved it to the side.

• 9 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

This is a great seat for what it's designed to be - compact. It may not hold kids up to as larger size as other seats, but it can make a difference to whether you can fit a seat to your car or not. I'd probably suggest looking at the ordinary Compaq, as the padding and fabric have been improved and are very similar to what's in the deluxe version for $50 to $100 less depending where you buy.

+ Great for smaller cars because it's compact, and for fitting other seats or people next to it. Fabric, padding and design are quality and last well.

- Extra padding and plush fabric aren't necessary for safety and add extra cost. It's a little shorter and narrower than ordinary seats so for taller children it may not be the best choice as they grow out of it more quickly.

• 2 answers
  • 133 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

This is a fantastic seat if you are tight for space across the back and need to fit 3 carseats or boosters. I would only buy this carseat if I needed a slimline model but there is definitely a market for this and it does provide excellent safety protection for my kids. It's very easy to install in rearward and forward facing mode and the manual button for adjusting straps is easy to use for a great fit. So great for small cars or 3 carseats across the back.

+ Slim design
Rearward and forward facing
Easy to install in both modes
Recline positions in forward facing

- Child can outgrow quicker than other wider seats

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2011

I'm a mother who doesn't like excessive, and most of the time unnecessary, features on my products and for those sort of parents this seat is perfect. It is very compact, fits in nicely in my little Jazz that I use for our daily excursions around town, while still being able to sit two other adult passengers in the back (even though they may get a little cosy).
Seat looks comfy for bub, he is now 5 mo and 7.5kg and still fits ok facing the rear, although it does look like it could get too small for him by the time he's 1 yo.
The belts do tend to twist, I have to make sure that they are neatly tucked away in the side wings before putting baby in, otherwise I'll spend and extra 2 minutes trying to find the twists.
The safety aspect I would hope never to find out!

+ Easy to use, simple seat without the hassle of extra features. Size is perfect for a small car without being too tight for bub. Mid-priced.

- Belts tend to twist

• 1 comment
  • 4 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2010

If you have a smaller car this is a great car seat. We would have had to put the front seat forward to fit a standard car seat in, meaning the front passenger wouldn't have had much leg room. If you have a standard size sedan or larger though, I would go for a "normal" car seat. Because the Compaq is smaller to fit in smaller cars, when the carseat is rear facing it can be a bit squashy when getting an infant in and out.

+ Compact: fits in smaller cars well and can still fit two other passengers in the back seat

- It can be harder to get babies in and out of than the larger seats as it is made for smaller cars

Sydney

• 10 answers
  • 36 helpful votes
Private message

Great seat for three across the back

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2012

I bought this seat for my third child because it was the only one narrow enough to fit with a booster and a convertible booster in our Subaru - saved us having to buy a new car when our third was on the way. I've been really happy with it. It's compact but bub doesn't seem squashed. There's no unnecessary extra bits, just enough to make it safe and comfy, so not too many places for that baby vomit to hide. Cover comes off easily and can be machione washed. In the forward position it sits high and forward so our other seats fit it beautifully.

+ narrow, affordable, easy to clean

Purchased at: Mothercare

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

What other car seats have you got, i have a 2010 Subaru and need 3 seats across the back all facing forward

Which model Subaru do you have? We are looking at Subaru Outbacks 2008, but want to ensure we can fit 3 across the back.

BRISBANE, QLD

Love the Compaq!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2012

I love the compaq deluxe. I spent a long time researching a good car seat and am very happy with this one. My daughter is quite tall and other car seats in her age/ weight bracket are too short. We've used this from when she was 9 months old and she is now 18 months and are very happy. Easy to clean and fits really well in our small car.

+ Compact, comfortable, easy to clean, easy to move in and out of the car, she loves it.

Private message

Perfect, especially when you need 3 carseats!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2012

I am expecting my 3rd child and my son already had a Maxirider AHR, so was stuck as to what to do with 2 more car seats, I researched and bought 2 x Compaq DLX's for my youngest (19 months) and belly babe, perfect fit with the Maxirider, my youngest loves it, he looks extremely comfy in it as well, no faults :)

+ Compact and great when you have 3 carseats in a car

Purchased at: Mothercare

Jamison Centre, ACT

• 124 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2010

Great seat but quite expensive. If you have a small car or need to fit three seats across the back this is a great option. To those who said the seat has 'lateral movement' - you need a locking clip/gated buckle. Lateral movement is the same in 99% of car seats and is because the seat belt is not tight enough, not because of the design of the seat. If you can't get rid of lateral movement in the seat, consult a professional child restraint fitter.

+ Compact design, plush fabric, simple to use, comes with seat protector, quite expensive

- Sunshade is inaffective, seat is smaller (to make it compact) so bigger children can be too cramped and grow out too quickly

Melbourne

Private message

Perfect, no faults or flaws

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2012

We purchased this set for my first son after moving him out of a capsule, firstly installing it as reward facing then forward facing. It is a great seat without too much extra padding, meaning more space in the car for people etc. It fits beautifully in our Mazda3 and similarly in our Subaru, as it doesn't take up too much room.

+ Good price, doesn't have speakers or excess amounts of cushioning, easy clean!

• 8 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 14, 2012

Very happy with this car seat. No issues what so ever. Would possibly suggest manufacturing in a lighter colour as the dark material tends to keep the heat.

+ Compact for our compact car. When compared to the AHR Meridian, was happy paying a little less and having a bit more space in our car.

- None at all.

Brisbane, QLD

• 27 helpful votes

Great for small cars.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

I bought this as it was the only carseat that rearfaced to 12kgs that would fit into my small car without having to have the front passenger seat pushed all the way forward. My daughter is 13 months old and loves it. She tends to fall asleep within minutes of being put into the car which is why I wanted to keep her rearfacing for as long as possible. As well as it being safer.

+ Compaq design, Rearfaces to 12kgs.

- Expensive compared to other brand carseats. When installed rearfacing the seat cover that you lift to get the seat belt under is a little fiddley to get back down and the velcro done back up.

• 22 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2011

Even though we have two large cars, a Mitsubishi Magna sedan and a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, this was the only seat that we could find to safely fit our cars. We are happy enough with it.

+ Arm straps can be clicked in to central buckle independently, don't have to click in both together as with some other models.

- Straps seem to get twists much easier than other seats that we've had. Baby cannot face forward until she reaches eight kilos, however our little girl is not yet seven kilos and the seat is really too short for her to be still facing rearwards, she has to bend her legs to fit in. Even though we have two large cars the seat will only fit properly in the middle and it is difficult to get her in and out. Only one colour and no choice of fabric.

• 16 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2011

Once fitted correctly for each car it is easy to install in any seat position, using any orientation. The straps don't tangle much if loosened before removing child. Lateral movment while reversed is greatly reduced in all seating positions, by using a safety stopper buckle on the seat belt, as suggested by the manufacturer(approx $5)and the correct padding under the seat (see a registered fitter). Great safety rating for a reversible seat. Excellent seat, considering another for B2.

+ Easy to install, swap between vehicles, and change orientation. Small and compact, fitting into our Focus easily while reversed. Fabric feels nice and is easy to clean.

- None really. Would have liked seat belt protectors to come with it, as do some of the other models, but these can be bought at any baby store.

1 of 2 pages