The Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq DLX has been replaced by the newer Britax Safe-n-Sound Compaq MKII model.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Not convinced on safety

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 28, 2012

We bought this seat as it is the most compact seat on the market and we have a small car. However, the stabiliser bar which is meant to prevent the seat flipping over in an accident did not lock out properly on one side. The seat was sent back to Britax (which took 2 weeks) who advised there was nothing wrong with the stabiliser bar and that is just the way it was designed. I don't think this feedback is good enough when it comes to safety. The bar should lock out like it does for other safe n Sound seats such as the AHR Meridian and it doesn't, therefore it would not do its job in the case of an accident. Britax ended up conceding and deeming our seat faulty. Given the other seats in the shop had the same problem we opted to upgrade to an AHR Meridian which feels a much more solid construction and the stabiliser bar works as it should.

+ Fits into a small car nicely

- Stabiliser bar did not lock out, therefore we were not confident on the safety of this seat.

• 1 review
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2011

A bit dissapointed and wish I was able to try before I brought. Regretting my choice in seats, there are probably better seats out there that do a better job and that are a little more secure.

+ Small and compact.

- Very unsteady in the middle of the back seat so had to put it on the left side. Also stabaliser bar doesnt meet the back of the seat, fitter suggested that we place a rolled up towel between the seat and the bar. Said its a common compaint when fitting it in most cars. Dont feel that this is good enough!!!

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

This is a great seat for what it's designed to be - compact. It may not hold kids up to as larger size as other seats, but it can make a difference to whether you can fit a seat to your car or not. I'd probably suggest looking at the ordinary Compaq, as the padding and fabric have been improved and are very similar to what's in the deluxe version for $50 to $100 less depending where you buy.

+ Great for smaller cars because it's compact, and for fitting other seats or people next to it. Fabric, padding and design are quality and last well.

- Extra padding and plush fabric aren't necessary for safety and add extra cost. It's a little shorter and narrower than ordinary seats so for taller children it may not be the best choice as they grow out of it more quickly.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Victoria

• 1 comment
  • 2 questions
  • 4 answers
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2012

We have been very pleased with the Safe-n-Sound Compag DLX which was recommended to us by shop staff when other types would not fit in our small car. Once you get the hang of loosening and tightening the straps then it is a great seat that is easy to clean and comfortable for the child. While the brand is more expensive than some others, it is worth it for the amount of use you get out of it. Our child is almost 3 and still using the seat quite comfortably. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

+ Great for small cars where other car seat types will not fit.

- Straps often get twisted easily and sometimes tighten themselves.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

SYDNEY

• 7 helpful votes

Good little carseat

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2012

This is a great little seat. Can sit comfortably beside it and not feel squashed.
Because it is compact I found my daughter grew out of it by 19 months.
If I knew this before I probably would have bought one that grew with her like the tilt and adjust.
All in all a really nice seat.
Although the sun shade in a waste of time. Nowhere near long enough to shade.

+ Slimline.

- Sunshade useless

Brisbane, QLD

• 27 helpful votes

Great for small cars.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2012

I bought this as it was the only carseat that rearfaced to 12kgs that would fit into my small car without having to have the front passenger seat pushed all the way forward. My daughter is 13 months old and loves it. She tends to fall asleep within minutes of being put into the car which is why I wanted to keep her rearfacing for as long as possible. As well as it being safer.

+ Compaq design, Rearfaces to 12kgs.

- Expensive compared to other brand carseats. When installed rearfacing the seat cover that you lift to get the seat belt under is a little fiddley to get back down and the velcro done back up.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 61 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2011

Very good car seat really recommended for small cars and for people whereby you can forsee/ anticipate from parents that they are likely to have a petite child. I bought this as a carseat for my baby once he graduated from a capsule and hence we only got about 9 months use because me little guy is really long and tall and he out grew this by the age of 17months. It is a good seat though. I just do not see it lasting until a child is 4!

+ Very compact, simple and comfortable. Suitable from birth to toddler.

- As with all car seats, manufacturers need to redesign the harness so that kids cannot get their arms out pas the straps and worse still unbuckle the clip. It is just too easy for an adventuous bright child.

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2011

Even though we have two large cars, a Mitsubishi Magna sedan and a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, this was the only seat that we could find to safely fit our cars. We are happy enough with it.

+ Arm straps can be clicked in to central buckle independently, don't have to click in both together as with some other models.

- Straps seem to get twists much easier than other seats that we've had. Baby cannot face forward until she reaches eight kilos, however our little girl is not yet seven kilos and the seat is really too short for her to be still facing rearwards, she has to bend her legs to fit in. Even though we have two large cars the seat will only fit properly in the middle and it is difficult to get her in and out. Only one colour and no choice of fabric.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2011

I'm a mother who doesn't like excessive, and most of the time unnecessary, features on my products and for those sort of parents this seat is perfect. It is very compact, fits in nicely in my little Jazz that I use for our daily excursions around town, while still being able to sit two other adult passengers in the back (even though they may get a little cosy).
Seat looks comfy for bub, he is now 5 mo and 7.5kg and still fits ok facing the rear, although it does look like it could get too small for him by the time he's 1 yo.
The belts do tend to twist, I have to make sure that they are neatly tucked away in the side wings before putting baby in, otherwise I'll spend and extra 2 minutes trying to find the twists.
The safety aspect I would hope never to find out!

+ Easy to use, simple seat without the hassle of extra features. Size is perfect for a small car without being too tight for bub. Mid-priced.

- Belts tend to twist

• 14 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2010

We have been very pleased with this seat, it is safe and easy to use. It would have just been that bit better if the things mentioned above were included.

+ Safe, very compact, east to tighten straps, seat protector for car, baby insert was great - not too bulky, reasonably priced, like the colour.

- My child is now 18 months and I can see that this seat won't last much longer as his head is nearing the top of the seat. No pocket to store toys etc. Really should come with strap covers to protect baby's neck being the DLX model.

• 1 comment
  • 4 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2010

If you have a smaller car this is a great car seat. We would have had to put the front seat forward to fit a standard car seat in, meaning the front passenger wouldn't have had much leg room. If you have a standard size sedan or larger though, I would go for a "normal" car seat. Because the Compaq is smaller to fit in smaller cars, when the carseat is rear facing it can be a bit squashy when getting an infant in and out.

+ Compact: fits in smaller cars well and can still fit two other passengers in the back seat

- It can be harder to get babies in and out of than the larger seats as it is made for smaller cars

• 3 answers
  • 44 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

We bought this for our newborn and had it installed rear-facing until our daughter was about six months old. We then converted it to forward-facing, reclined and then tilted it more upright as she grew taller and stronger. We had it installed in the middle, rear seat as this was where the anchor point was fitted. There was some lateral movement on account of the leather seats upholstery. We placed a towel under the seat to reduce this. We didn't feel this compromised the seat's safety. We've passed this seat on to another couple who for their daughter and they're very pleased with it.

+ Converts from rear-facing to upright, has several tilt angles when upright

- Some lateral movement but didn't compromise safety

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Jamison Centre, ACT

• 124 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2010

Great seat but quite expensive. If you have a small car or need to fit three seats across the back this is a great option. To those who said the seat has 'lateral movement' - you need a locking clip/gated buckle. Lateral movement is the same in 99% of car seats and is because the seat belt is not tight enough, not because of the design of the seat. If you can't get rid of lateral movement in the seat, consult a professional child restraint fitter.

+ Compact design, plush fabric, simple to use, comes with seat protector, quite expensive

- Sunshade is inaffective, seat is smaller (to make it compact) so bigger children can be too cramped and grow out too quickly

SALE, Victoria

• 2 comments
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2010

Overall, I am happy with the fit of this car seat. The great feature is being able to easily adjust the straps so that the straps are always tight, no-matter what my grandson is wearing.

+ Compact, easy to adjust, smooth base that will not damage seat, comes with mat to further protect back seat.

- I drive a Honda Accord and have a slight hump in the middle of my car, when it was placed there, there was movement and I was advised to have it installed on the passenger side of the backseat of the car (which I have done).

• 2 helpful votes

Not just for small cars

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2015

We have had this seat for over 3 years. The cover is like new. I would recommend this seat to people with large cars also (we have a 14 seater). It's compact size means that adults (or larger children) can sit more comfortably next to the seat. Larger car seats often encroach onto the seat space next to them where as this one doesn't.

Brilliant slim line car seat.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2012

I purchased a Compaq Deluxe on recommendation from a friend. It is great. Looks good, very safe and slimline. Very hard to find car seats that will fit 3 across the back. We have a subaru forester which are very narrow. Can be used from birth, facing backwards and then turn around to face forwards. Wears well, its 4 years old now and still looks brand new. Easy to take off and wash covers.

+ Narrow, slimline. Looks attractive. Safe. Well priced

- Nothing.

Purchased at: Baby Bunting

Comments

We live in Mackay Qld. Where csn I buy one of these?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

• 1 helpful vote

Love the Compaq

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2012

I bought this seat to use with my second child. When looking at what carseat to get this one ticked the boxes for me while researching. It was designed to be used in smaller cars at the time we had a hyundai excel. Was easy to use and able to be used from birth.

With this carseat in the car there is still plenty of room in the backseat of our fairmont to fit the Compaq my 11 year old and another carseat if required and no-one is squashed.

+ Easy to use, great size

Purchased at: Mothercare

Sextonville, NSW

• 13 helpful votes
Private message

Finally!! I found a seat that is safe and fits

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2012

with 3 car seats to fit across the back seat I was left with the aweful feeling of needing a bigger car.. Thankfully I found the Safe-n-Sound Compaq DLX car seat and I can perfectly fit 3 across the back seat! I have children ranging from newborn to 3 years old in this seat and they are all comfortable and safe. My 3 year old is above average for length and still has plenty of room to grow upward in this seat so it will definitely last him until the booster seat stage. It is gorgeous material which is nice and soft for bubs skin to touch and like most Safe-n-Sound seats it is so easy to install!

+ Size, comfort, safety, appearance, and ease of use.

Sydney

• 10 answers
  • 36 helpful votes
Private message

Great seat for three across the back

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2012

I bought this seat for my third child because it was the only one narrow enough to fit with a booster and a convertible booster in our Subaru - saved us having to buy a new car when our third was on the way. I've been really happy with it. It's compact but bub doesn't seem squashed. There's no unnecessary extra bits, just enough to make it safe and comfy, so not too many places for that baby vomit to hide. Cover comes off easily and can be machione washed. In the forward position it sits high and forward so our other seats fit it beautifully.

+ narrow, affordable, easy to clean

Purchased at: Mothercare

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

What other car seats have you got, i have a 2010 Subaru and need 3 seats across the back all facing forward

Which model Subaru do you have? We are looking at Subaru Outbacks 2008, but want to ensure we can fit 3 across the back.

BRISBANE, QLD

• 3 helpful votes

Love the Compaq!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2012

I love the compaq deluxe. I spent a long time researching a good car seat and am very happy with this one. My daughter is quite tall and other car seats in her age/ weight bracket are too short. We've used this from when she was 9 months old and she is now 18 months and are very happy. Easy to clean and fits really well in our small car.

+ Compact, comfortable, easy to clean, easy to move in and out of the car, she loves it.

1 of 2 pages