Sydney

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Problem with Heat Pump

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

Had a Sanden Eco Heat Pump installed at our home in Plumpton NSW in June 2015. Then at 1 am in January 2018 woke up & heard water running. Went outside with a torch & found water pouring out of the back of the Heat Pump Unlt. I rang the Plumber who installed the Unit & he told me the heat pump is gone. He arranged to get another Heat Pump for me from Sanden. Lucky I have 3 years warranty but for the Heat Pump to go in under just 3 years come on & what about if we were not home. Not impressed.
The new Heat Pump has just been installed on the 19/1/18 but I am waiting to hear from Sanden to see if they are going to give me another 3 years warranty on the unit, I would have only 5 months left on my old unit which they have taken away. This is a brand new unit so I should be covered for the 3 years.

Camberwell

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: May 2015

Amazingly efficient and quiet, also no more gas bills :)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2018

This was installed in our Melbourne home in May 2015, we have the larger 315 litre unit. I set the timer to only come on at 1pm when our solar pv is generating.
Most days it runs for approx. 1 hour which means it's using 1 kWh or approx. $0.24 cents. But because we predominantly use solar energy it's costing us the $0.11 cents we would have received from our power utility.
Even on the coldest days in winter it still works perfectly.
We now don't have gas connected to our property as we use heat pumps for heating / cooling as well and an induction cook-top.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: May 2017

Excellent system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Had a new Sanden Heat Pump installed by Philip Gilliland (Brisbane), who was very knowledgeable, quick and efficient. Endless hot water and much better pressure than the old Rheem (which did 22 years sterling service). My only issue is the LED clock, which the manual completely fails to tell you how to program, Sanden telling me to call out Phil, who came without complaint.

• 6 comments
  • 5 questions
  • 11 answers
  • 28 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Sandon heat pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2017

I actually wrote a review about it few months back and wanted to update on the progress further. Heat pump is excellent provided you do everything by the book and the most important part is the installation. Go with a plumber who is experienced in Sanden heat pump. I had trouble with water running continuously that was due to instability in the water pressure. The water pressure in the tank needs to be 500. Had to get another plumber to fix the problem. No issues now. Very happy. My last quarter bill looked like a bill from 1980's . Very happy customer.

Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Sanden Heat Pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2017

When our electric water heater died on us two years ago, we decided to replace it with the Sanden Heat Pump. It has been brilliant. It was a big investment (just under $5000) but we never run out of hot water and our bills reduced greatly. Obviously, we're hoping it will pay for itself in the next few years.

Sydney

• 10 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

My second Sanden system was a lemon....... then turned into Lemonade :)

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2017

In January this year we had a Sanden Eco Heat Pump and it was fantastic! I couldn't tell enough people how impressed I was with it after having years of trouble with an Edwards System. Fast forward 5 months and we moved house. After having issues running out of hot water with the existing Rheem system that came with the new house, it was an easy decision to have a new Sanden Eco Heat Pump installed.
Since the installation of this system we have had nothing but trouble. We run out of hot water at least twice a week (fabulous for a young family in through the middle of winter!) and no one seems to know why. i know the installer is getting sick of coming and looking at it, and even when it was displaying an error message on the Heat Pump, I was told the people at Sanden had never had experienced seeing it come up before!!
I just wanted a reliable cost efficient system.......So so disappointed

***UPDATE***
I am happy to report that since the latest service call out I think our technician has solved our problem. Apparently there is a valve that mixes the hot and cold water (??) and it was faulty. Whatever the reason, our heat pump is now working beautifully and we have not run out of hot water again.

Even with the problems we have had, I would still be happy to have the same system if we were to move again. In addition to what now feels like an endless supply of hot water, is the almost non existent electricity bill we will have thanks to a good solar electricity system and our Sanden Heat Pump.

If we didn't have the issues to start with I would give this product 5 stars, but considering this, I give it 4.

I am happy to recommend this product

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Bad caused trouble getting it fixed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2017

New Sanden Water system installed not even a year. It's already not working properly intermittent issue not producing hot water. Very annoying not hot Water In winter What a joke. Thought this would be more reliable than gas hot Water system and older electric system...btw I'm heavily pregnant this is awful.

SYDNEY

• 5 comments

Date Purchased: Oct 2011

5 years old, still running well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

We are having a Sanden/Edson heat pump combination, installed 2011, and so far only one problem in those years where the Sanden unit failed due to leaves/water inside. A technician cleaned it out and it's running again without any issue. It was certainly worth to pay a bit more and glad we didn't go with a Dux.

• 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Jun 2010

Love them, simply the best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

Inhave read on here a few bad reviews ,id honestly say from our experience that these units when installed properly are the absolute best
We have installed well over 200 units and i absolutely love them ,we have had our own personel unit for six years ,it never ceases to amaze me how reliable and cheap these units are
We have lots of photos of our installs on our facebook page OREGAN AIR CONDITIONING have a look for yourself
Greg
Oregan Air Conditioning pty ltd

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Very Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Our large family house had a Quantum Heat Pump HWS for over 16 years and it served our family of 4 well. Sadly the tank started leaking and we looked to buy another Quantum heater.
Frankly it lasted so long as I changed the anode every 5 years or so, tested the relief valves and installed a water filter unit to keep sediment down, its amazing how dirty they get.

I contacted Joe and he suggested the 250L Sanden Unit. (I later opted for the larger 350 Litre unit).

Quantum are now built in China and after reading a number of reviews not many people seemed happy with them anymore.
The Sanden isn't the cheapest option but given I'm expecting it too be a 15 year investment I took the long view that it will pay for itself in time.

Joes guy arrived as promised, he was an interesting character in himself.

Did a great job of installing the unit. Workmanship was very good, being involved inthe building industry this is something I always pick up on.

The unit was started and I was amazed how quiet it was and it started heating straight away.

I was impressed with the install kit supplied by Sanden as it came with water filters for the tank, a ABS plastic stand to prevent corrosion and to insulate the tank from the ground.

OK , Its only a few weeks old and we have not had any issues nor run out of water. The real test will be in the future.

On the downside, they say the tank is warranted for 15 years but a pro- rata part kicks in after a set time ( 10 years??).

The heat pump part is separate and the warranty is much less. However being seperate units, either can be replaced if needed, although I'm hoping it wont be required.

Hope this helps others.

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Bad buy

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

We've had problems with our Sanden heat pump since we got it back at the end of 2015. It started with corrosion of the external covering of the tank and around the water inlets/outlets meaning constant leakage. We've had to replace the thermostat within the first year as we were getting no hot water. And for the last few months for some reason it has been switching off so every time we want a hot shower we have to remember to go out and turn the power off for a minute then restart it to crank it up again an hour before we shower! I'm not happy and living 2.5 hours from Perth, no-one seems to want to come out and help us sort it out. Great when it works, but too many issues.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

One thing I forgot to add to my review which has obviously made all the difference with having this system, is that we are not on scheme water where we are and the water running through it is groun... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Oregan Air Conditioning North West Sydney what a great installation!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

A year ago when the service technitian representing Rheem told me my Rheem Heat Pumps compressor was gone and I should replace it I was unhappy. It had been troublesome since it was installed in 2009. I decided to check out Sanden after reading their reviews and Greg from Oregan Air Cond came by to quote me. He was honest and reliable and fixed the Rheem unit in 5 minutes and left without charging me. He could have easily said the Rheem was kaput and quoted me for a Sanden.

Fast forward 12 months and the Rheem finally gives up the ghost. I went back to Greg and got a Sanden this time. For an extra $500 more than the Rheem they are twice as good. They only use 4 watts that's half the power the Rheem unit uses. That's because the heat exchanger used CO2 and has a bigger surface area than the compromised Rheem unit where all that stuff is housed on top of the water tank.

The Sanden unit is far superior in my opinion and the separate compressor means a much less complex design that can be more easily serviced.

I'm highly impressed with the product and Greg and his lads were great installers and took a great deal of care to have the install looking neat and included extras like an isolation switch at the unit itself.

Jason at North Rocks

• 1 comment

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Feb 2014

Wonderful until it breaks down

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

Not at all happy with my Sanden heat pump. $5000 and three years later it has died and I now learn that it only had 3 years warranty. How can this possibly be described as an economic and efficient system?
No word on whether it can even be repaired. If I have to replace it, I certainly won't be investing in another Sanden.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Sanden have now agreed to replace my heat pump for $1000.
Fingers crossed I'll have better luck with this one

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Thanks Australian Hotwater Cardiff

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

Thanks to Chris at Australian Hotwater Cardiff NSW for a swift next day install of our new Sanden 315 litre heat pump hotwater system. I can't believe how quickly Chris mobilised his team to get a family of 8 out of cold water (Bosch 16H LPG system failed) and into a system that is supposed to be the best on the market so quickly and without fuss. Zane our installation technician did a great job, working alone to get us piping hot water in less than 6 hours considering it was a major system upgrade and long pipe run. Thanks Zane for a neat and tidy job. Also Zane had to drive to Bulahdelah through peak hour traffic and arrived with a can do attitude - not to mention it was freezing cold winters day. I hope to be able to give an update on the Sanden 315 system within a couple of months. So far I consider it to be ultra quite, unobtrusive (I got a 315 litre short tank) and provides piping hot water (better than the Bosch 16H piece of scrap metal)
From my research the Sanden system is the best on the market. I will update my review in 6 months.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Sanden Heat Pump hot water system super quiet!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

We have just had a Sanden 315L heat pump installed by Pathfinder Plumbing in Brisbane. It's early days, but so far so good, the system is very quiet, and we certainly have plenty of hot water :) Phil Gilliland of Pathfinder did a great job of the install, very tidy and professional work, he obviously takes pride in what he does! Turned up on time, got the job done, cleaned up afterwards, I would thoroughly recommend him if you are after one of these systems. Phil had the system installed before some places I had asked for a quote had even come back to me!!!

Date Purchased: Dec 2014

So quiet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

We had a Sanden Heat Pump installed two and a half years ago by Pathfinder Plumbing, Kenmore in Brisbane. We have been thrilled with its efficiency, and quietness. Phil Gilliland came when he said he would, and performed the installation to the highest standard. Recently a small part caused a leak at the top of the storage tank. Phil came immediately, and fixed the problem at no charge. I cannot speak more highly of the Sanden pump and Phil's professionalism.

Deniliquin

Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Not happy with the product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

I had a Sanden system installed 5 years ago and have had problems with it the whole time , we keep getting error EO40 on the heat pump which trips the system out All the time , have tried cleaning filters , putting new in line filter on , have had no help from the initial sales person , very disappointed with the after sales service , even from Sanden head office , no one seems to want to fix our problem , looking at replacing it , a total waste of $10,000.00

Hobart

Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Sanden Hot water heat pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2017

I purchased the Sanden Hot water heat pump after hearing great things about the performance of the system which uses carbon dioxide refrigerant. We have found this is a great product that uses a natural refrigerant that works with minimal capacity loss right through Tassie winters, and is so cheap to run. I was sceptical at first but the system is definitely worth the investment over a conventional electric HWS. My power bill for just hot water dropped easily by 75% after installing one.

Date Purchased: May 2014

Very economical.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

Well, apart from being very quiet, this thing is very cheap to operate, costs seem to be about a third of a 2.4 kw conventional hot water service and with the 300 l tank draw down is never a problem even with 4 people in the house.
The only point I would make is that the inlet water filter has blocked twice causing the unit to trip out but that was after we had been away for two extended periods of time hence there was no flow through the unit and I suspect a little algal growth may have been the cause of that. The fix is simple, turn the water off, unscrew the little filter, blow it out, put it back in, turn the water on, and reset the circuit breaker. Just a maintenance job really.
All in all I highly recommend this unit.
If you are in Hobart, Michael Sackett, (Sackett Services) is the go to man.

Ian,
Hobart. (yes it does work great in the cold, it will pull heat from sub zero air temperatures)

• 2 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Excellent Water heater

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

After over 5 years of problems with a Rheem Heat pump water heater we decided to replace it with this Sanden Eco Heat pump. Peter Hungerford, who installed it is a real deal, the Sanden has been working well, and very quiet and no more complaints from my neighbours. This water heater is the best.

1 of 3 pages

Looking for a reputable installer on Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne Aust? Thanks!

Cheryl I asked on Mar 19, 2018

Answer this

Cheryl, contact Ben Cole of NewGen Solar & Heat Pumps. 0423 089 191. They cover Mornington Peninsula.

Can it affect water pressure in shower?

Ronda asked on Dec 09, 2017

Answer this

Yes, it did for us - quite a significant difference. We no longer have to use an auxiliary pump to get good pressure in the showers. Our cold water pressure was always adequate, and now the hot water pressure is very nearly as strong.

It has affected the pressure in the shower in the negative I go straight in shower when I get up to help me wake up with a good invigorating shower!! I am extremely upset and want to know if pressure can be increased ?

Hi, Installed a Sanden split heat pump system for a customer last week in Taree NSW and after the connection ( Duo valve, supplied pressure reduction valve, cold water relief valve, supplied tempering valve etc ), electrical hook up, filling process etc the system doesn't hold a constant pressure. I get a steady stream at first out of the shower however within seconds the pressure drops to a dribble. have contacted Sanden and the company from which my customer purchased the unit from with no result. I am a licensed plumber, drainer, gas fitter and my licensed electrician hooked up the dedicated circuit for the install. Please help. My customer paid extra for a valve kit which consisted of the tempering valve, pressure reduction valve etc. My assumption after numerous times running through the entire install is that the pressure reduction valve is faulty ? Please return your response to [email removed] Cheers.

Matt asked on Sep 23, 2017

Answer this

is the tempering valve installed incorrectly?? hot to cold

Yes the Pressure reduction valve was faulty.
Heat exchanger systems require certain amount of pressure to operate consistently.
After contacting the company who sold the system, their rep and Sanden themselves and receiving no answers what so ever and being pushed aside by all involved, I focused on the brand new pressure reduction valve and replaced it with a pressure limiting valve after the rep of the company telling me to " just take it off and bridge it ".
The correct working pressure was restored and so far so good. No help to Sanden who I believe still owe the customer a reimbursement for the extra money they had paid for the valve kit and also my extra time.

Hi Matt I’m a plumber installing Sanden for the last 4 years and have occasional failed combination valve. The valve is not a Sanden product ans as plumbers we can use any brand of valve we want as long as it meets Australian Standards. The valve brand that you can by in a quick kit is AVG.
I have called AVG on these failures and they have supplied a new valve and paid me to change it over.

On another note I have had problems on some of the earlier unit I put in, some ,not all units displayed error code40 which is a blockage in the flow and return pipes between the compressor module and the tank. It turned out to be the non return valve on the flow and return lines. The spring pressure is too high. Apricus solar also used these valves and they had problems too. I do not put them in as it’s a no brainier, it’s an obstruction to the flow. It only takes a small amount of calcium build up to make is stick shut. No flow equals compressor shut down.

In a review from someone in WA saying Sanden was rubbish and only gave then a 1 star rating said they were on bore waters. Bore water would have a high mineral content and would have caused the non retrenchment valve to jam. This person said they had a number of service calls to fit it. From this persons review it was easy to tell they were very disappointed with Sanden.
As a professional plumber im disappointed in the customers attack on Sanden when the problem is with the plumber.
Cheers.