Date Purchased: Jun 2010

Love them, simply the best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

Inhave read on here a few bad reviews ,id honestly say from our experience that these units when installed properly are the absolute best
We have installed well over 200 units and i absolutely love them ,we have had our own personel unit for six years ,it never ceases to amaze me how reliable and cheap these units are
We have lots of photos of our installs on our facebook page OREGAN AIR CONDITIONING have a look for yourself
Greg
Oregan Air Conditioning pty ltd

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Very Happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Our large family house had a Quantum Heat Pump HWS for over 16 years and it served our family of 4 well. Sadly the tank started leaking and we looked to buy another Quantum heater.
Frankly it lasted so long as I changed the anode every 5 years or so, tested the relief valves and installed a water filter unit to keep sediment down, its amazing how dirty they get.

I contacted Joe and he suggested the 250L Sanden Unit. (I later opted for the larger 350 Litre unit).

Quantum are now built in China and after reading a number of reviews not ma
ny people seemed happy with them anymore.
The Sanden isn't the cheapest option but given I'm expecting it too be a 15 year investment I took the long view that it will pay for itself in time.

Joes guy arrived as promised, he was an interesting character in himself.

Did a great job of installing the unit. Workmanship was very good, being involved inthe building industry this is something I always pick up on.

The unit was started and I was amazed how quiet it was and it started heating straight away.

I was impressed with the install kit supplied by Sanden as it came with water filters for the tank, a ABS plastic stand to prevent corrosion and to insulate the tank from the ground.

OK , Its only a few weeks old and we have not had any issues nor run out of water. The real test will be in the future.

On the downside, they say the tank is warranted for 15 years but a pro- rata part kicks in after a set time ( 10 years??).

The heat pump part is separate and the warranty is much less. However being seperate units, either can be replaced if needed, although I'm hoping it wont be required.

Hope this helps others.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Bad buy

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

We've had problems with our Sanden heat pump since we got it back at the end of 2015. It started with corrosion of the external covering of the tank and around the water inlets/outlets meaning constant leakage. We've had to replace the thermostat within the first year as we were getting no hot water. And for the last few months for some reason it has been switching off so every time we want a hot shower we have to remember to go out and turn the power off for a minute then restart it to crank it up again an hour before we shower! I'm not happy and living 2.5 hours from Perth, no-one seems to want to come out and help us sort it out. Great when it works, but too many issues.

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Oregan Air Conditioning North West Sydney what a great installation!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

A year ago when the service technitian representing Rheem told me my Rheem Heat Pumps compressor was gone and I should replace it I was unhappy. It had been troublesome since it was installed in 2009. I decided to check out Sanden after reading their reviews and Greg from Oregan Air Cond came by to quote me. He was honest and reliable and fixed the Rheem unit in 5 minutes and left without charging me. He could have easily said the Rheem was kaput and quoted me for a Sanden.

Fast forward 12 months and the Rheem finally gives up the ghost. I w
ent back to Greg and got a Sanden this time. For an extra $500 more than the Rheem they are twice as good. They only use 4 watts that's half the power the Rheem unit uses. That's because the heat exchanger used CO2 and has a bigger surface area than the compromised Rheem unit where all that stuff is housed on top of the water tank.

The Sanden unit is far superior in my opinion and the separate compressor means a much less complex design that can be more easily serviced.

I'm highly impressed with the product and Greg and his lads were great installers and took a great deal of care to have the install looking neat and included extras like an isolation switch at the unit itself.

Jason at North Rocks

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Feb 2014

Wonderful until it breaks down

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

Not at all happy with my Sanden heat pump. $5000 and three years later it has died and I now learn that it only had 3 years warranty. How can this possibly be described as an economic and efficient system?
No word on whether it can even be repaired. If I have to replace it, I certainly won't be investing in another Sanden.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Sanden have now agreed to replace my heat pump for $1000.
Fingers crossed I'll have better luck with this one

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Thanks Australian Hotwater Cardiff

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

Thanks to Chris at Australian Hotwater Cardiff NSW for a swift next day install of our new Sanden 315 litre heat pump hotwater system. I can't believe how quickly Chris mobilised his team to get a family of 8 out of cold water (Bosch 16H LPG system failed) and into a system that is supposed to be the best on the market so quickly and without fuss. Zane our installation technician did a great job, working alone to get us piping hot water in less than 6 hours considering it was a major system upgrade and long pipe run. Thanks Zane for a neat and tidy job. Also Zane had to drive to Bulahdelah through peak hour traffic and arrived with a can do attitude - not to mention it was freezing cold winters day. I hope to be able to give an update on the Sanden 315 system within a couple of months. So far I consider it to be ultra quite, unobtrusive (I got a 315 litre short tank) and provides piping hot water (better than the Bosch 16H piece of scrap metal)
From my research the Sanden system is the best on the market. I will update my review in 6 months.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Sanden Heat Pump hot water system super quiet!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

We have just had a Sanden 315L heat pump installed by Pathfinder Plumbing in Brisbane. It's early days, but so far so good, the system is very quiet, and we certainly have plenty of hot water :) Phil Gilliland of Pathfinder did a great job of the install, very tidy and professional work, he obviously takes pride in what he does! Turned up on time, got the job done, cleaned up afterwards, I would thoroughly recommend him if you are after one of these systems. Phil had the system installed before some places I had asked for a quote had even come back to me!!!

Brisbane

Date Purchased: Dec 2014

So quiet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

We had a Sanden Heat Pump installed two and a half years ago by Pathfinder Plumbing, Kenmore in Brisbane. We have been thrilled with its efficiency, and quietness. Phil Gilliland came when he said he would, and performed the installation to the highest standard. Recently a small part caused a leak at the top of the storage tank. Phil came immediately, and fixed the problem at no charge. I cannot speak more highly of the Sanden pump and Phil's professionalism.

Deniliquin

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Not happy with the product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

I had a Sanden system installed 5 years ago and have had problems with it the whole time , we keep getting error EO40 on the heat pump which trips the system out All the time , have tried cleaning filters , putting new in line filter on , have had no help from the initial sales person , very disappointed with the after sales service , even from Sanden head office , no one seems to want to fix our problem , looking at replacing it , a total waste of $10,000.00

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hobart

Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Sanden Hot water heat pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2017

I purchased the Sanden Hot water heat pump after hearing great things about the performance of the system which uses carbon dioxide refrigerant. We have found this is a great product that uses a natural refrigerant that works with minimal capacity loss right through Tassie winters, and is so cheap to run. I was sceptical at first but the system is definitely worth the investment over a conventional electric HWS. My power bill for just hot water dropped easily by 75% after installing one.

Date Purchased: May 2014

• 8 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Excellent Water heater

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

After over 5 years of problems with a Rheem Heat pump water heater we decided to replace it with this Sanden Eco Heat pump. Peter Hungerford, who installed it is a real deal, the Sanden has been working well, and very quiet and no more complaints from my neighbours. This water heater is the best.

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

great product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2017

Does everything I was told it would do. Quiet and efficient. I especially like being able to utilise my solar panels power production during the day to power the system. Sanden allow you to simply program when the systems mandatory daily heat cycle occurs. Innovative solar water heating that's located under the house out of sight.

Halls Gap

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Amazingly quiet and efficient

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2016

Four months ago we replaced our off peak HWS with a Sanden heat pump and 315 litre tank. This is an amazing system. When first installed the weather was cold and it took only two hours for the water to heat, using about 3 kW. Now, in early summer, heating is taking just over an hour and using about 2 kW. We have set the operating time to commence at 11 am (EST) to make the most of our solar system. The pump is so quiet, barely audible when standing nearby. It will be interesting to look at the power consumption over a year - at this stage it lo oks like the saving will be about 70-80% when compared with the off peak system. We couldn't be more pleased with the advice and service provided by Breaze Energy Solutions, Ballarat. Simon assessed the site and our requirements, answered all our questions and followed up to ensure we were happy with the installation. Overall, we are greatly impressed with the Sanden heat pump.

Forest Lake QLD

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Fantastic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

We enquired about a Water Heat Pump & looked @ lots of reviews on all brands of units. After serious consideration we decided to settle on a Sandon Eco water heat pump. When we first heard the price of the unit we were abit put off but realised if you want the best on the market that's what you have to pay. Thank you Peter Hungerford from Energy Solar Solutions for all your advice & professional workmanship & installation on the unit. We are very pleased. We would not hesitate in recommending Peter in doing your job.
Ps.A big thank you again Peter for a perfect job well done.

• 1 question
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

heat pump on new house

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2016

After reviewing builders choice for the heat pump on our new house and researching what was available I am glad I decided on this unit. It is efficient in power use, quiet in operation and I haven't had an issue during 4 months of use so far.I live in SW Western Australia and was worried about low ambient temp affecting performance during winter,even at temperatures near zero this unit continues to produce consistent hot water to my house ,I would recommend this unit

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria

• 12 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

A quiet achiever, far superior to our old Quantum 340 heat pump.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2016

After our 6 year old Quantum heat pump imploded due to electrolysis we checked the reviews on most efficient and cost effective hot water alternatives and settled on the Sanden Eco 315 heat pump which best took advantage of our solar array.Ben Cole from Newgen Solar in Melbourne visited us to outline the attributes of the system which included very quiet fan operation, stainless Australian made 316 tank with a 15 year guarantee, ( no annode needed ) , quality installation and removal of our defunct unit. He took care of the govt. rebate and true to his word had the whole thing organised to be installed the next day. Cost with the rebate was $4500. I will give you all an update when the unit has been in operation for 6 months.

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Quiet as a mouse, efficient, money saving

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2016

Have had our Sanden Eco Heat Pump 315L for just over two months now. Runs on overnight tariff for a household of 5 and have had hot water 24/7 with no issues. The unit is so quiet when running it is unbelievable (yes I got up in the middle of the night to listen to how quiet it was) The Sanden replaced a 15 year old Rheem 250L electric storage unit which was using 11.5kWh a day on average. In comparison the Sanden uses 2.6kWh a day on average since install to heat a 25% larger tank of water . On the Sanden website they state a saving of 78% over a conventional storage hot water service. My figures absolutely support this claim. Loving this amazing product

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2014

not suitable as an hydronic hot water system - as the retailer advertised

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2016

Sanden are a good company in our experience. However do not purchase this System if you plan to use it for Hydronic heating your home. Enter Store in Eltham advertised and sold it for this purpose and it doesn't work efficiently nor does it heat as it should. I expect it would be OK for hot water alone. There is lots of info from Sanden as to its effectiveness. but under no circumstances buy this thinking it will work, as Enter Store have advertise, as a solar heat pump for hydronic heating, it was Not designed to do so and don't let them tell you otherwise.
Pls note I'm rating this for hydronics not hot water

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

Hi I have a question. I replaced our old Rinnai gas water tank with Sanden heat pump. I live in Canberra It has been running great until now. In the night it has been very noisy and wake us up. It's also releasing lots of water. Is it right? We get -7 degrees in the night and also get very hot in summer.

ravinder asked on Jul 26, 2017

Answer this

Ours is super quiet. We did have a problem with our tempering valve making noise, but that was only when you had the hot water running, and really has nothing to do with the Sanden unit at all. You will need to call your plumber!

Hi Ravinder, my units pressure relief valve has operated a couple of times, but the heat pump unit is whisper quite. I need to go right up to it and feel the air flow before I can hear it going.
I'm on tank water and suspect that the relief valve may have been opening in response to water hammer events caused by abruptly shutting off flick mixer taps and/or the washing machine fill solenoid shutting off on our Grundfos submersible pressure pump causing a line pressure spike.
Monkeygirl is on the money - call the installer and have them check the system before it potentially does more damage. Good luck, hope you sort the issues and get back to trouble free operations.
Cheers
Pilbaramet

Call your plumber.
Mine has never made any noise or leaked water. It just died

Hi, I have got a sanden heat pump HW installed recently. It works really well. But I found the water is too hot for me. Is there a way that I can adjust the temperature? Do I need to call in the supplier?

Jason asked on Jun 26, 2017

Answer this

Normally the temperature is set by the installer in accordance with your local govt regulation. The temperature of the hot water is measured at the nearest outlet (tap) from the hot water tank. But if you think the water is too hot you can ask the installer to re-check the set temperature. I taught the same about ours after it was installed but it is more about how much efficient the Sanden is compared to the Rheem heat pump we had before.

As mentioned the installer can adjust that for you , how ever i would happily swap yours for mine as mine is never hot enough and keeps faulting ??

How much of a difference does the air temperature where the compressor is, make to energy efficiency? I have a choice of putting compressor separate in a NW facing carport that is warm all year or beside tank which will be in shade all year and in an outdoor passage with breezes. It can get to -5C in my suburb of Sydney and up to 45C in summer. The carport will be more stable in temperature and slightly warmer at all times. Question 2: Can i alter the times that the tank heats or does it need an electrician? A large tree shades my solar panels midday in winter but not summer so I would change heating times to compensate for this. Also can the temp of water be low? I currently run my old gas hot water on 2.5 and after turning it down to this I halved my gas bill.

Connie asked on May 22, 2017

Connie,

The origination of the unit is not worth considering, the air temp is the same weather you are in the sun or not. Also worth noting is the amount of time it will run, for a 200 liter daily hot water usage it will run for two-three hours max.

Need a electrician to adjust the block out time, refer above as I don''t think it will be required and no you cannot adjust the temp, however you could adjust the temper valve for this, refer this to your plumber.

Email me if you require more info. [email removed]

Michael

Thank you! I put the compressor in the carport anyway as it is out of the weather and they have adjsuted the timer so it only heats during the day. I may change that at some later date as I notice it comes on around 0830 and the sun is not as strong in winter at this time. It is working really well. am happy with the installation tradies, they were excellent, and its working efficiently. will be interesting to see the next elec bill for comparison with last year. Thanks again.

See all 14 questions about Sanden Eco Heat Pump