Filter By:

Insurance claim made

Not happy when it's not your fault but still have to pay an excess

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

17 years too long time to change not happy claims department wasn't helpful making me feel like it was my fault when a guy went though red lights and almost hurt me but they take the lights out of picture cause I had no witness or dash cam that's crap on your part SGIC that will lose me.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Liliana, sorry to hear you are unhappy with the claims team, were you able to identify the person at fault who went through the red light? Generally if you can ID the person at fault you wont ha... read more »

Adelaide

Verified Customer

Untrained staff and hidden agendas

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

I recently contacted sgic to cancel the remaining month or so left on 2 car insurance policies; one was seamlessly processed with a refund of $56. The other car received nothing. I contacted both the offshore and local office and was told that due to a mystery "admin fee" , which neither office could elaborate on, I was not entitled to a refund.

I then tried to raise the issue on their Facebook page and was advised that after deduction of this "mystery admin fee", if the remaining balance is under $15, sgic automatically "donates" the monies to the "charities [they] support". Apparently this is written on pg 86 of their pds. If I wanted that amount refunded, I would need to "escalate" the issue with another team.

First of all, why was one refund given with no addition charges, while the other car denied? Secondly, why is sgic not appropriately training their staff? And thirdly, who are these charities that sgic support, and if my money is going towards them, then shouldn't I receive a charity receipt?

Hence I will also be changing my other existing policies to other companies, and be encouraging family and friends to do so. 2 other family members have already made the switch to better deals! So please shop around! Sgic has a low rating here for a reason, and their sub-standard responses to these reviews are just for "ticking a box", rather than actually helping out their customers.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Leanne, thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate your honesty and can see what you are saying. The info our Facebook team advised you is correct however I can not comment... read more »

Automotive Claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2018

SGIC is fantastic company to deal with. Customer service was exceptionally great and all matters was concluded with in 10 minutes. The claim, and assessment of the vehicle and repair of the car all with in a matter of minutes.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

So good to hear OPALS, thanks so much for sharing your great experience! ~Renae

Insurance claim made

Could of psint the whole side if the car

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2018

Unfortunately you can see the new paint and the old. The whole side of the car should of been painted as i requested multiple times

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Robert, thanks for reviewing our Car Insurance Product. I am sorry that you have been left with repairs that show a difference in the paint. There is a resolution process you can follow if you... read more »

adelaide

Insurance claim made

i wish i had read the reviews before insuring 6 cars..

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

At first it seem that i was going to be treated properly after a tiny not at fault bump...but alas after my car was virtually destroyed by hower crash lonsdale sth aust..sgic prefered cheap and nasty repairer..then all walls and blicks came up..and has now become a horrible experience..my friends went thru same process with hower crash..please be warned..as for scic..wldnt a little help and nice service go a long way to keeping customers..there are countless insurers out there these days..please treat your existing customers correctly..and then you may recieve your first good review this century....

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to review and leave honest feedback. We do not like hearing that our customers are feeling like this. A claim should be easy and pain-free. If you would like ... read more »

Car Rego balance deducted from payout IMMORAL

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2018

We have been insured with SGIC for seven years, we have 3 cars, home and contents. The Car was written off as a total loss the payout was determined quickly, however the balance of the Car registration was deducted from the payout. This is outrageous and immoral. Car registration is our business, NOT SGIC. Also the balance of the insurance policy will not be refunded or credited back to us for the new car replacement.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Jok, thanks for your review. The deduction of the registration is noted in the PDS for your information and this is also common across all insurance companies as the roads authority will refund ... read more »

Adelaide

SGIC - appalling service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

I was in an accident with an sgic client, it was entirely their fault. My car is now unusable and one week later I’m getting absolutely no reply from sgic. I have phoned them twice and been told a claims person will call with 48 hours - I hear nothing!
The claim dept didn’t pick up calls today, I waited otjephie for 40 mis, even the online chat was a min 30 min wait.
Put on more staff SGIC, provide some goddamn service to people who need it. Appalling.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi 'Just', I am sorry that you have been left feeling this way. It is always a difficult time going through a claim and chasing things up. Has your insurer offered to correspond with us on your b... read more »

Interestingly the service did not improve when i finally did get in contact with a claims agent. Simple questions about the benefits of going with a partner garage or my own choice could not be ans... read more »

Adelaude

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Wouldn't even bother with them!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2018

I was sent a survey via email and at the end I was asked to put a review on here, Gladly! Would not recommend them at all! We have building insurance with them, had a problem with our garage roof collapsing but apparently they dont cover it! Even though it is part of the building!! The customer service representative was rude and when I ask what i was covered for then if i wasn't covered for the building he pretty much just said goodbye and hung up! Will definately be changing providers as soon as this contract is up!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Thanks for your honest feedback Teresa V. You should not be left feeling like this, and we apologise for that. The consultant should of educated on what is covered and what is excluded. I unders... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Dishonest & incompetent

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

Clueless when managing a claim - on each occasion when talking to a claims consultant they lie and have no idea what they are doing - change insurers best decision I made - stay away from any insurers under IAG this also includes CGU SGIO.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate you sharing your recent claim experience with us. We are sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Did you want to lodge a complaint about your experien... read more »

i am perplexed to your response-i have gone through your internal review process which is astounding in itself (i.e lacks objectivity and impartiality) -despite acknowledgment that you failed to c... read more »

SGIC Insurance Official

Thanks for the reply, we are happy to hear you went through our internal dispute process. We will take your feedback on board and please remember if you are not happy with the outcome you can proce... read more »

They couldn’t renew my expire policy - terrible. Indeed they were after more money.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

No Comments
They couldn’t renew my expire policy - terrible. Indeed they were after more money even though I am an existing customer.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Ron, thanks for your review. Sadly we cannot reinstate expired policies, we generally allow 30 days for you to renew your policy. New policies can be a different premium as pricing can change we... read more »

Hallett Cove

• 1 question

Excellent accident claim service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

More than 10 years with SGIC. Since have made 3 accident claims. Prompt action was taken from lodgement

till my vehicle was properly repaired and delivered. Excellent service.

Port Pirie

Insurance claim made

Paid waaay less than the car was worth

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

SGIC paid maybe half the market value of the written off vehicle. The system for claiming is set up to make it hard. Rep promised to call me back with answers to questions, Did not happen. As each of my policies (home and contents, 3 cars, 2 motorcycles and a boat) come up for renewal, I'm going out for quotes from other companies. Already have identified a $200 plus saving on home insurance, and $50 on first motorcycle.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

HI there Mick, Sorry to hear that you have had this experience. If you would like our Social Team to follow up the matter on your behalf, please PM us via Messenger with your details ~Alison

Just insured one of my cars with Elders. Cheaper, and they've got an office in town.

SGIC Insurance Official

We are sorry to hear we lost you as a customer Mick. We believe we could have turned this situation around but we are glad you found a policy that suits your needs. Thanks again for the loyalty! ~Rubie

• 2 helpful votes

Fabulous Price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

I switched to SGIC a week ago for my comprehensive car insurance. The insured value, policy cover and excess was the same as my previous insurer but heaps cheaper. Highly recommend.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Great to hear Mary. Welcome aboard, and thanks for being a valued customer. Please let us know if there is anything you need! ~Alison

Less than 2 minutes to renew

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

Easy to renew and competitive in price. Done and dusted with no fuss on my mobile. Good communication and no sales pressure.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Thanks so much for your lovely feedback Fiona. Have a great afternoon ~Alison

Easy and Simple process

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

Very easy to deal with from the time of sign up to the time I had my claim, which was the first claim I've had in 40 years of driving.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Thanks Peter. I hope you were not injured in the accident. Congratulations on the great driving record, we appreciate your loyalty and look forward to protecting your assets for many years to come ~Alison

Offshore call centre

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

Policies are good, for some maybe a little hard to comprehend/understand thou. Policy easy to set up. Customer support was great, until it went offshore. Nowadays I won’t call the 133233 number, luckily I have a direct number to an Australian branch. They help, advise and understand my questions.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi Brodan88, thanks for your honest feedback. Great to have you on board and we appreciate your loyalty. Let us know if there is anything we can assist with ~Alison

Even 3rd Party Fire and Theft is getting expensive

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2018

SGIC 3rd Party F/T is not so good value these days. Price increase of over $30 dollars representing a 20% increased cost on the insurance premium compared to last year and that is with a 5% Loyalty discount. Main Website difficult to find a RENEWAL Tab for existing customers. Had to do a direct SGIC/Payments search to make payment. Once finding that it took less than 2 minutes to pay online.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hey Barry M, we really appreciate your feedback. It's great to get the insight around the renewal tab. Our website team are always trying to improve the site, so this will be something to pass o... read more »

To late she cried. Don't mean to sound cynical, but I've heard that line before "let's discuss it" after the fact. What is done is done.

insurance done simply without the pressure

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2018

Online was very easy, simple and informative. very price competitive, very good value for money, easy to understand and good customer support if required in future

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Now thats what we like to hear :) Great stuff and thanks for the review! ~Rubie

• 14 helpful votes
Private message

Generally good value. But why the huge increase in premium this year?

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

I just completed a survey regarding my recent experience with customer support regarding an enquiry for my Landlord insurance, and was directed here to write a review - which I feel I need to so that I can address some issues I couldn’t in the survey.

I have 2 policies (Landlord & Car insurance), and I have been an SGIC customer for a few years after changing from other companies. I did extensive research and price comparisons, and found SGIC had the best value for money, especially regarding Landlord insurance. I have been quite happy with the premiums, as the monthly premium hasn’t varied too much. However I was shocked when I recently received my renewal notice, as I noticed the monthly premium was being increased by $12. This prompted me to again do some research and compare premiums with other companies, however I adjusted my policy with SGIC to reduce my premium.

But what bothers me is that when I asked about why the premium went up so much, the explanation was that there were several factors - they look at the suburb, the claims in the suburb, the house prices etc. So if there are more claims in a particular suburb in a year, why should I be penalised for it? Shouldn’t you just be looking at my individual property? Just a little bit confused by this information.

The other thing - customer support was helpful, but there was a lot of background noise, and I could hear people talking and laughing, which was very distracting when I was trying to concentrate in the information being provided to me.

I have previously recommended SGIC to others, as I have found the premiums to be better value for money, and I just hope prices don’t keep going through the roof, as I really don’t want to change companies again.

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Hi there, thanks for the review! We appreciate your honesty and we are sorry to hear you were not happy with our explanation about your renewal. The information you were provided about the premium ... read more »

Not a fair or logical insurer

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

I originally made a mistake on purchasing my policy saying I drive 20000 km pa not the lesser5000 km pa I actually drive , so I thought it logical that if I am on the road 75% less then I should be re-estimated on renewal at a lower premium but SGIC customer service would not consider this and my renewal price is an increase in premium for driving 75% lower kms!? This is not fair or logical

Comments
SGIC Insurance Official

Thanks for your feedback Malcolm M. Your premium may have increased due to the rating factors and the repair costs increasing on your particular make of vehicle. If you would like to discuss this... read more »

This is laughable, you know the above attempt to excuse yourself is rubbish. You know my SGIC policy is third party, you already have tried to use that fact as an excuse, you have all details neces... read more »

SGIC Insurance Official

Hey Malcolm, apologies Alison was not aware of your private message to us where we advised that your premium wont change according to your kms as you have a third party property damage policy only ... read more »

1 of 7 pages

My sixteen [ almost seventeen ] year old is getting her first car. A Nissen Xtrail 2004 - automatic with sunroof. She has been quoted by RAA for third party/ property insurance - $550 a year with $1100 excess. I am wondering if you would be any cheaper. I am an existing SGIC customer - house/contents/car.

Yvonne L asked on Jan 08, 2018

Answer this

Hey Yvonne! You would need to complete a quote to get a price from us for this cover in your daughters name. Unfortunately we don't have any family type discounts at this stage. You can get a quick quote online via this link: https://www.sgic.com.au/car-insurance. Hope this helps Yvonne! ~Jamie

Who is a good insurance agency for SA?. SGIC customers seem to have to deal with interstate representatives and Sub-contract builders

Carly asked on Jun 10, 2015

Answer this

I contact SGIC direct and have had no problems dealing with them.

I seriously feel for the South Australians that have suffered in the recent 'weather events' and hope that SGIC changes their ways and actually helps and supports their members. Recent experience has shown me that once your claim is in, you’re on your own. In the likely event you are having trouble getting assistance from SGIC persevere, as they rely on your apathy, lack of understanding of your rights or just you have suffered enough and won’t fight for it. Don’t let this company do this to you, you are South Australian, they are not; they are IAG, a multinational with their head office in Sydney and borne from the demutualisation of NRMA in 2000.
This is why you have to talk to interstate and possibly overseas call centers (surely not all 'customer service reps' are of Indian decent). SGIO bought SGIC in the 1990s and NRMA (now IAG ) bought SGIC in 2000. I'm looking at RAA as they seem to be truely South Australian