Bairnsdale

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Warranty and maintenance is terrible

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2017

We build so many houses with Simonds, the building process quite smooth and work well. Sale person very helpful, colour selection absolutely fantastic. No issue or hiccup. Customer relation was terrible and was rude and despite a repeat customer.

Maintaining team is the worst and now all we see Simonds is a nightmare for us. They try to get out as much as they could.
Our shower base was leaked after 4 years, so I contacted the site supervisor ([name removed]) he used to look after our house and also the current new house too. He advised us calling local branch in Bairnsdale. So I called the Bairnsdale branch, they never answered their phone. So I left the message and never get back to us.
Couldn't wait any longer, I decided to put the silicone around the edge of the shower base to stop the leaked. Time has gone by months, the leaked came back. So I had enough and call their head office in Traralgon but then they gave us the email and ask to contact their maintenance team via email. Finally, I was able to contact [name removed] and she asked [name removed] from Traralgon office out to see our shower leaked. The final result from [name removed] was
"I inspected your ensuite shower which has been leaking, on the 04/05/17 At your request. I found that someone had applied silicone right along the gap under the “Simonds Channel”. This channel is designed to allow water to escape into the shower base. Because someone has applied silicone to this gap, the warranty for the shower has now been void and Simonds can take no further action in this matter.
I would suggest that you have a contractor remove the silicone as soon as possible." (Thank you, Simonds, if your team respond and fix the problem, then I have to put silicone there to fix it by myself???!!!)

This time, we just got another brand new From Simonds house and handed over in early November 2016 which is 8 months old. The solar hot water panel got leaked. So we rang the maintenance team again, [name removed] was direct us to contact Rheem, she said they got nothing to do with the solar hot water?!?. So I contacted Rheem on 4/07/2017. Wait and wait, so I call them back, they said they haven't make the decision yet, so I contact Simonds again, then [name removed] from Simonds asked me to send email to her, so she can forward to her management team and see what they can do. After a week of investigation from Simonds, so today 31/08/2017,
Simond had responded
"Thank you for your email
Unfortunately from what I understand, Rheem have decided to that your solar panels are not covered under
The warranty due to the very low temperature reached in your area.
The Solar panels were not able to withstand the unusually low temperatures that you experienced
In July of this year.

You may be able to claim this through your home insurance policy
I am sorry that we are not able to offer further assistance in this matter."

Thank you, Simonds!! you had done it again. You know our Victorian climate is extreme why you install solar on without cover frosted? So every time we going into winter, we have to claim to the roof and cover up with heat blanket for our hot water solar???

To anyone who builds with Simonds, please ask them to remove your Solar hot water panel on your contract asap or make them wrote a note on the contract that it does cover in the even of frost.

Thank you.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Ken, thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear about your frustration. We take your feedback very seriously and want to make sure your concerns are investigated and addressed. Could... read more »

Thank you Simonds. all issues now been rectified.
thank Peter & Jason for handling this issues very well.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Jan 2017

Forget about home, can't build proper driveway

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

We built design Maddox home and it has big pillar in middle of the garage, so it needs wider driveway. We're not able to park even hatch back car at right hand side of garage. On our request both Site supervisor and site manager gave us demonstration and both failed. Their north region building manager personally came to check and agreed (in written) to modify driveway but did not hear from them for few months and now they again come with excuse and refuse to fix the issue. I raised my concern before construction started but my customer coordinator did not bother to forward it to relavant department. Initially they gave us all possible excuses and most of them were silly and later on asked us to contact other departments. Our experience is not so good. After moving in one big problem came but maintenance manager was very efficient and fixed the problem within few hours, that's the only nice thing I can say about.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi there, I’m very sorry to hear about your frustration. We take your feedback very seriously and want to make sure your concerns are investigated and addressed. If you can send us a private messa... read more »

Job no: 48862

Simonds Official

Thank you for providing your job number. Your details have been sent to a Simonds team member who will be in touch as soon as possible. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything further that we can assist with. Best wishes, Lisette.

• 1 question
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Aug 2017

Run while you can!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Everything was perfect whilst dealing with the Sales assistant. He was absolutely amazing, informative and worked to our budget. But all good things ended at this point. They rush you through the gallery appointment. We were given "what to choose" rather than what we wanted, which meant it took double the time getting what we wanted in our house, the finishes, extras and materials. It was very frustrating, we had to do it over 2 sessions and then heaps of emails back and forth because they different teams had different versions of my floor plan. The build itself has been nightmare-ish and extremely long. Contracts were signed in late 2015, construction started mid 2016 and we are now in mid 2017 and we are still waiting for the keys. There has been a lot of rework done due to poor workmanship. We had hired an independent inspector who picked up many many errors against building standards. The time taken fix these repairs was a total nightmare (periods of. 3/4 weeks between stages, current PCI rework has taken 6 weeks and still counting). It's confusing to know what's going on, when an issue is raised the supervisor says e-mail the coordinator, the coordinator says speak to the supervisor. I've pretty much given up and just waiting for a completed house and keys. It's been a long journey but I must admit the service on their behalf has been great. They do attend to issues (eventually), make themselves available to discuss anything and ever so friendly. Sales consultant, coordinator and supervisor live up to the Simonds vision and values but their tradesmen and time management is ever so slow and quality of work is average (except for the tiling and brick work, they are on point!). So many paint marks can be seen, uneven plaster, uneven ceiling!!, scratches on brand new bath tub, site is unclean, Would I build with Simonds again? No!!

Update 5/7/2017 - my house has been "marked as complete" as of 30 May, went for a follow up inspection today just to find the paint job very sloppy. No clean lines around the skirtings, asked why tap wasn't used to get a straight line was told "it's impractical and cost money". Just about to rip my hair out dealing with this house. It's the 4th time the painters been out. Noticed more chips in the paint. Was advised to make a note of these things at the 3 month inspection but that's silly since there is consisted issues throughout the whole house.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi there, thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear about your frustration. As per your private message to us, I have passed this onto the team and someone will be in touch as soon as possible. Best wishes, Krissie

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Nov 2011

Issues with water leaks & bowed ceiling

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

We have had issues with water on our ceiling in the garage. Initially when we contacted Simonds the ceiling was fixed but the cause of the water getting in was NOT.
Therefore, months later we noticed water leaks in the same areas plus additional areas on the ceiling & part of the ceiling has also bowed.
We then contacted Simonds again and the cause of the water leak was fixed but we are still left with water marks on our ceiling & an area of our ceiling bowed. We were told the ceiling would be fixed in a matter of weeks. We have now been patiently waiting approximately 13 weeks with no contact from a plasterer. We are very disappointed in the wait time & communication & have called Simonds on a couple of occasions with no success in having the job completed.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi McDonald, thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear about your frustration. We take your feedback very seriously and want to make sure your concerns are investigated and addressed. ... read more »

Job number 25720.

Simonds Official

Thanks McDonald, I'm following this up with the team now.

• 5 comments
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Jun 2017

The FIXED cost saga - a Simonds way of cheating

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2016

A sales person of Simonds Homes in SE Melbourne. they told me they knew the vendor (xx), from whom I bought the land, who came to [name removed] to build, and advised me to buy the land. [name removed] confirmed me that if I buy the land the FIXED site cost will be the same ($16035) as was given to xx. However, after my land settled, the site cost gone to $28000. However, just before the contract signing this gone another $10000 up. In addition, it took more than two months after paying for soil test. We waited day by bay, week by week, because he told us to wait this way.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Samamun, thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear about your frustration. We take your feedback very seriously and want to make sure your concerns are investigated and addressed. C... read more »

Hi Krissie,
My job number is 51517.

Simonds Official

Thanks Samamun, I understand our State Sales Manager, Darren Brennan will call you today to discuss this matter. Thanks, Krissie

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Dec 2017

very poor service provided.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2016

We started with Simmonds sales team in June and paid the deposit and attended tender appointment in August. The sales team did a great job helping us with floor plan and everything else. After attended the tender appointment, everything down hill dramatically. The tender draft increased prices and shrink the house size, and changed some part of the design and front setback without consulting us, the tender appointment was very rush as during the 2.5 hours, we were mainly talking about the unexpected changes and fixing up problems, no time to go through all the paper work. We feel that after paid the deposit, Simmonds screw you down and do not care what the customer need at all. No communication between different departments and the reason given for our draft became a mess was the person did the drawing was away for holiday and just tried to finish our drawing prior his or her holiday. When we raised up any concern, the only answer is to fix it at contract appointment. We do not even know whom can we speak with if we are not happy. We met another manager at the gallery appointment and she promised will send email to senior person and cc to us, four weeks already, never heard anything.
We want to get a quote for staircase,the gallery girl told us can get a price within 2 or 3 days. With our case officer, one week later, When I asked her, her answer is she is waiting for the picture to.be emailed to here, this supposed to be done a week ago and she never follow up, now, still no proper price yet after one month. We feel that Simmonds is not reliable and we DO not trust them any more. It is a big decision to go to another builder and lost our deposit, but we'd rather lost thousand dollars now but to have a proper house built and hassles free for the coming months, years. We can't imagine if we sign the contract with simmonds, what will happen with our new house .

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Holly, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your frustration and would like to ensure all of your concerns are addressed. If you could please provide your job number we will e... read more »

It is too late now. I wouldn't mind to give you the job number but no point to do so as we have signed with another builder now. We have tried desperately want to speak with someone who can help ... read more »

Simonds Official

Hi Holly, we would like the opportunity to rectify this and pass onto our senior management team to investigate your experience. This is certainly not a level of service that is acceptable. We woul... read more »

• 5 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland

Fool me once : You get what you pay for with this bunch.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2016

Ok so lessons learned from dealing with Simonds.

[name removed], the customer service/sales guy we initially met was one of the best guys I have ever dealt with, he secured the business for Simonds, but unfortunately was the utter highlight and things slowly got worse.

They will screw you between selection phase and contract signing. This is a common theme if you read the reviews. Perhaps in some parts of Australia they have more competent staff than others.

We only got the draft contract a day before the contract signing giving you little time to go through and I believe this is intentional.

The person attending your signing was not there on your selection, so when you ask "Hey, does this xyz code mean the white vanity" they will just say "yea". The truth being they have no clue and you end up with items you did not select.

They sent us a whole list of colour variations and confirmations nearly two months after the contract signing, and a lot of errors are included.

Their contract is entirely focused on making sure they have a legal safety net and nothing about being clear and referable for the customer. I kept hearing 'well, we are a national building company'. Ok, well then pay for a proper contract engineer, because what you provide customers currently is a shambles, and if and when it does eventually get to a court case, it'll be torn apart. I am kind of hoping this is where I end up.

They will rush you and not give you time to properly review the contract against your selections.

They will blame each other for crap ups, building supervisor will blame CSO and CSO will basically fumble through bad answers.

We didn't get one single call or email telling us a stage was finished, we got invoices. It clearly states in the contract they are mean't to call or contact for any updates or changes in dates.

Some of our dates were pushed back, twice, with no contact or reasoning offered.

I was not once offered a site visit, we only got them at our request, not at any stage did our supervisor ask if we wanted to go and review after a stage was complete.

The Simonds user portal is crap. It states stages are finished, you go look, clearly they aren't finished, then you hear that its because 'they go back around for little bits after'. Ok, so put it at 99% complete, no 100% or make your system reflective of the truth.

Builders give their opinions on your colour selections. Guess what buddy, I don't really give a flying one what your opinion is, your job is to build what I have asked for. Not make excuses because of your back office.

In hindsight, the build is ahead of schedule, ill give them that, but it would almost be impossible not to considering the 200 day period they give themselves.

Finish isn't bad.

The house is 90% what we wanted.

Honestly, find the extra $20,000 and go with someone with a better reputation. This turned into a gamble I lost on, but an expensive one at $300,000.

Im summary : They aren't actually that much cheaper, the customer service experience is truly awful. Much like myself, take the change at your own risk.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Good afternoon Random, thank you for your message. We are sorry to hear about your frustration. We would like to ensure that all of your concerns are addressed so if you could please provide your j... read more »

Hi Clarissa, I have explored many routes of communications with Simonds, and experienced a variety of blame pointing, denying and out right lying, so the next route is via QBCC. I did not write thi... read more »

Simonds Official

Hi Random, thanks for your message. Our senior management team in QLD would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns directly. If you would like to supply your job number, our General Ma... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland

Unfair policy and management

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2016

First Simonds miscalculated my account statements it cause after I transferred the loan from bank to simonds account now I should pay $3500 cash more from my pocket. Driveway caused damaged my cars simonds fixed driveway but because 1car was already hail damaged and I couldn't make it full insurance simonds didn't payed for damages and by mistake I got upgrade vanity that does not fit for tape and management said because I didn't pay for upgrade vanities they cannot change the tapes and I should pay for that. I wouldn't supposed to get that vanities and I can not even wash my hand easily now.

Comments
Simonds Official

Good afternoon Arjmand, thank you for your message. We are sorry to hear about your frustration. We would like to ensure that all of your concerns are addressed so if you could please provide your ... read more »

Thank you clarissa for your quick post back After i asked them again about changing vanities if they dont want to change taprs i got new email today about changing tapes today . Its seems good im... read more »

Simonds Official

Good morning Arjmand, thank you for following up and advising that the matter has been successfully resolved. Should you have any further issues, please don't hesitate to contact us, we are here to help! Regards, Clarissa.

melbourne, Vic

Very disappointing. Still ongoing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2016

Initial build went well until the concrete driveway was laid over the weepholes. Site supervisor refuses to acknowledge that driveway is defective saying he would block the weepholes at bottom and make new ones on the top. Have a meeting next week with him & building manager with the independent inspector who pointed out the defect. Hoping that the building manager will rectify the defect.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Good morning Raj, I understand that you have now met with building manager & independent surveyor and have a solution for the issue. Please let me know If you have any further questions, we are here to assist. Regards, Simonds Homes.

The solution was mutually agreed among all. The site supervisor was getting it done yesterday. I am really surprised by the quick response and customer service especially by the site supervisor.Thank you

Simonds Official

Hi Raj, thanks for updating us, we are pleased we could assist with your concerns. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything further that we can assist with. Regards, Simonds Homes.

Pakenham

• 4 comments

Here for 2 months and can't get anything fixed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 12, 2016

The built was fantastic, frame, etc. but the finishing is terrible. Just had no shower from one month faulty shower head, oven fitted a few days after we moved in as they forgot to order it, and they chipped a tile doing it. Paint spots all over the house on the tiles, paint on window frames and glass grout missing in the bathroom, missing paint on ceiling. Things on the final inspection still not done and carpet lifting, and wearing through we have only been here for 2 months. Sick of leaving messages and not getting phone calls back, and sending emails and getting we will follow it up. Nothing is fixed!

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Markita, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a frustrating experience. This certainly isn't the level of service and build that we aim to deliver. If you can please let me know your job numbe... read more »

Any help would be great as I'm really sick of ring and emailing and then just waiting

• 4 comments

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria

It was a difficult journey.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2016

- The workmanship was not excellent. We did not get what we chose during gallery appointment. We trusted the customer service to tick the things we chose but this was not the case.
- My building was not managed very well. My building supervisor was changed several times which caused few issues.
- Customer Service from the very beginning to the end was very poor.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Raman, I'm sorry to hear that you've had troubles with your build, this is certainly not the level or service we aim to deliver. If you could let me know your job number by either posting here o... read more »

It has been over 15 months since we moved into house and every now and then we come across something strange. Absolutely rubbish.....
I am thinking of my next house and I don't think I will choose Simonds as my builder again.

Also, my job number was 41397......In case you really think of your customers............

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria

Averagre poor average ok

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2016

Sales rep was fantastic and then customer service person never spoke to us and was hard to get hold of. Gallery appointment was ok but couldn't confirm any costs so was hard to add things in that if we knew how much extra we had in the budget would have upgraded. Building supervisor was good up until the end when he cracked it with us and was abusive when we pointed out bad quality workmanship, chipped tiles, paint over lights, etc. the phone number for maintenance went to nowhere no message no answer, couldn't lock the front door as it didn't line up took over 5 months to fix. Now 2 1/2 years later a big crack in the garage (and we don't even park cars in there), and yesterday big crack in the bricks above one of our windows. Wouldn't provide details of extra site costs, had things in there including fences that were written down and charges for but were not needed where we built. Over all a little disappointing.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Andrew, sorry your house, and build journey were disappointing. Can you please provide your best contact details and if you can remember it your job number by emailing help@simonds.com.au?

Job number was 35583

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: South Australia

Wouldn't recommend at all!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2016

Just got our keys and had a walk through prior for them to fix things, none of them have been done and now don't even have phone calls returned. Terrible after sales service, many 'shortcuts' taken through the build (ie. Coastal protection not honoured and standard nails used on frame). Delivery drives damaged garage entrance, then tried to patch and now have it painted a completely different colour to what was discussed... Building site was not cleaned up well at all with materials left which still haven't been picked up??! Selections were missed on the contract and they refer back to the signed contract which is a joke - it's as though they expect you to check model details and etc on every detail... What happened to good old customer service?? If I was to run my business like they do i would have no work!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Ryan, I'm sorry to hear that your experience hasn't lived up to expectation. This is certainly not the level of service and quality of build we aim to deliver. If you could let me know your job ... read more »

Job number SA702

Torquay VIC 3228

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria

Poor Quality Control

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2015

Hi, I built with Simonds Homes last year and found the overall experience poor.
The sales/contract team couldn't get my building plans right with items being missed constantly.
The build quality was terrible. The brick work was of the poorest quality I've seen, resulting in all the mortar courses around the whole house having to be painted.
Most of the windows were scratched from trades resulting in glass having to be replaced (this was a battle).
A waste point was overlooked/not installed, resulting in the floor/yellow tongue being cut up (to install the waste point) and not being re-fixed properly before flooring was laid.
Simonds tried charging me extras for standard inclusions, which I disputed and won.
The building supervisor was nice, but the quality control was not there.
Simonds were good repairing screws that had popped through the ceiling and other items when the three months maintenance came around.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Michael, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry your experience hasn't lived up to the level which we aim to deliver. I'd like to look into the specifics of your job in mor... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Not what I expected

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2015

Customer service lady was great, the workmanship and quality of the home was not good at all cupboards were falling off after only 8 weeks the house was handed over dirty I asked for it be cleaned. The toilet roll holders were crooked & loose. Will never build again with them. Our NBN was also installed incorrectly & they had to come and fix it. Was guaranteed to be in before xmas didn't get in mid February.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi R.reuben. Sorry to hear that there have been issues with the house at and after hand over. If you can please let me know your job number, I'd like to look into the specifics and then address each of your concerns.

Thank you however we have now put the house for leave and have tenants in there as we want are building again, due to unhappiness of the home. These can be rectified once I have spoken to the tenants.

Adelaide

Verified Customer Build Location: South Australia

First Home

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2015

Sales team were great and they have a really good setup and the process is fairly straight forward. However the tag line of "in it together" I feel couldn't be further from the truth. Once your house is built you are on your own. Unless you have the time to chase the site supervisor and the trades and take extra days off work because you are desperate to get things done than I would say choose another builder.
I am still trying to get things sorted at my new home (9months later) and it's becoming a nightmare. We built with Simonds feeling that we were building with a professional outfit that would build our new home with care and have a quality finish however we got far from it. The trades workmanship was very poor.

This is the first time in my life I have had to write a bad review about anyone so I Don't want to babble on about it all but I feel people need to be aware of what they are getting into with such a big purchase. But I would like to end with positives. The home was built in a timely manner which we are very thankful for & Majority of the staff have been great and are quite helpful I think this company means well but just do not have the execution in delivering what they set out to do. I hope I will get a good result some time soon and I can change my comments.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Shane, Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry you feel that you're on your own once your house has been built. This certainly isn't the level of service we aim to provide. I'd... read more »

I would like to say that since this post and Simonds reply that things are on the up. However it couldent be further from it. Since this post Simonds have been in touch with a newly appointed build... read more »

• 28 helpful votes

Build Location: Craigieburn

My dream for a Simonds home started to shatter....

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2014

My dream for a Simonds home started to shatter when the building supervisor could not live up to his words . I know everyone is in hurry and very anxious to move into their new house during final stages. This is why I wanted to be prepared for well in advance and wanted to move in properly after all it’s the final move in (at least for now).
When my house was nearing its final, I rang my building supervisor, to get a rough idea on when the settlement date could be. After couple of week time he could finally give us a clear indication saying “you can definitely move in by end of November this year” this was in 2013. Our site started on August and we could really see the progress of the building process ourselves . Having reached its final stage soon, we were getting more excited. I happen to listen to our building supervisors advice directly even though we had our customer service officer for any correspondence, who wouldn’t think the best person is the building supervisor to get a direct update from.

We arranged for one week leave from work just to get enough time to pack and move and also we wanted to shop around for furniture. As the end of November came, there was no calls from the customer service officer to confirm the settlement date. When I rang the supervisor, he sounded very busy with his other project and forgot the words that he had given me. When asked what is taking time, he said the water meter has been stolen and it needs to be replaced. That was not what we were expecting to hear at this stage. I found the water meter in the electric meter box on the wall later and it is still there safe.

The worst thing was our days off from work was starting soon and also I had let my real state know that we will be moving out by this time. First week of December gone and the second week. When I rang the customer service officer, he tells me [name removed] has not updated him. Now I am in state of losing patient, I call him almost every day, just to hear nothing has been done. I have to extend my lease for couple of days more even though I had told them, the property will be vacant by first week of December for new tenants for inspection, I was guaranteed by my building supervisor.

After regular calls and questions finally we could arrange settlement date on 18th of December 2013, two weeks later than what we were promised. We are meeting the customer service office after all those restless days for me and my wife, where holidays had finished without moving house and where real state was asking when can I re-schedule inspection for new tenants. His first sentence was “lets not talk about the past two weeks”. I was shocked at his behaviour. This was not at all what we had expected to hear from him. Not even a word of apology for all the hassle’s let alone a complimentary token as sincere apology. I had my final cheque and we got our keys.

The keys were in an envelope of their internal mail. This was so heart breaking for me, when i knew other builders put the golden colour key in a jewellery box and hand them to you tied up with a ribbon or had builder’s name on the box-this is how you make us feel we value.
I looked at my wife quietly and became happy as we got the keys of our house. We went straight to the house just to make sure everything is ready because we have done our settlement and also we were moving in tomorrow. We opened and went in and to our disappointment we could see they had not cleaned the house. We still could see the dirty pieces of carpet left over, the trades people used still on the floor.

We were really heartbroken to find the house was covered in dirt from the carpentry work and paintings. There was wood dust in every drawers that they crewed and there was extra nails, screws and latches, even pieces of door lock was still there in one drawer.
To make the matter worst, the exhaust fan in the kitchen bench top was not installed yet. Nothing was said during the settlement and even the building supervisor did not inform anything about that. When I rang to know when they are installing, they said it will be done on Friday, one day after we moved in. We thought they might have organised that at last moment and that should be fine.

But despite of our follow up calls nothing happened and no one turned up. At one call the building supervisor even said -Be happy you at least got hot water running, some don't even get this. I called the customer service officer and complained. I was told that he will follow up. Saturday and Sunday went and nothing happened and on Monday we came to know that the building supervisor had already went for his Christmas holiday. I tried calling every number that I had that related to Simond, was either unavailable, was not picked up or went in their voice message saying they will only come back after January 15 of 2014. We could not do anything except wait for the holiday to finish.

We had plan of having friends and family over for Christmas, but we could not, as we could not do heavy cooking. We waited impatiently while my builder went for holiday. “ Simond” this is how you made us realise how wrong was your business Moto "we are in it together".
Even after January 18th things were being taken very lightly, even after a month time no urgency was felt. That's when I lost my temper on the customer service officer. After threatening to complain and demanding I talk to Simonds Boss, only then I was handed to building supervisor manager who sent an electrician the next day. If the paid jobs only gets done after customer loses his temper and threatens to complain, there is a serious problem in the management.

Sad, but this is not the end, I found out they had not installed any lightening outside the house, even though it was paid for. No light in the façade, sides of the house and to another big disappointment our central heating was not even connected at all. I came to know that the central heating had to be compulsory commissioned before the settlement only when the three months maintenance guy mentioned. I had told them it was not working when they came to fit the outside light, but the electrician did not bother to see what was going on.

Furthermor I had bought a plain surfaced solid piece of land, but when the house was built, the house was feet or two height above the ground level. I wondered why so much depth was left behind and at the sides of the house. I emailed the building supervisor manager about the issue and asked him to see if he could have his truck dump enough dirt to level the ground. But he said now it is all owners responsibility. I am not joking here, but complete four big truck of dirt was needed to level the back yard and the sides of the house. I wonder why so much of dirt was removed at first place.

That’s the point where I said to myself I have done a great mistake by choosing simond to build my home. My budget for their business might just be a fraction of it, but it was our life time saving and biggest investment in our life. Every behaviour of the building company really made us realise that we were just a number for their business and that’s how they look at us. The only thing that mattered to them was the account, if still outstanding. All of the above clearly shows that the sentiments, feelings and expectation of the customer were not considered priority at all.

Throughout my building process I was constantly made to realise how wrong their Moto saying “we are in it together” was. I was left in an uncertain situation in the beginning, I was given a dirty house to clean for myself and they did not even bother to install and test the equipment’s for us. Where can we see they are working in it together. They have left us cold all alone by ourselves, to feel bitter about the decision of choosing them. How remorse I was about my own decision!

With all these experience I really do not want anyone to go ahead with Simonds, unless you are an experienced in tackling all these issues, where you think you will be on top of them for everything. I also felt that they have limited choice at the gallery and anything that you wish for in your house apart from what is there will be impossible.
Sorry for the review being a long story but I had I let this out as I don't want other to go through what I went, anyone in building process and is looking at builders review will obviously read the whole review.

28 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

BALLARAT

• 1 answer
  • 20 helpful votes

Maintenance issues

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 10, 2014

Our SImonds home was handed over in March 2013, with the usual bits and pieces one would normally find on a maintenance list. Everything was going great until some of our flooring began to lift up, around our island bench. We had the plumber come out and it was found that we had a leaking coupling, it had been leaking slowly, but due to us using wood fire heating, it was drawing up the moisture and it wasn't until the fire wasn't used for a few days that the damage became noticeable. On closer inspection, it was found we had some damage to our kitchen panels as well.
This happened back in late 2013, we have had the panels replaced in the kitchen, but one of them ( a new one) was damaged, and our floor has not been touched.
I have made several phone calls to the maintenance department and also the so called managers, and get told yes we are getting it organised. We have now been waiting a good 6 months, and the one year anniversary of being in our new damaged home is now approaching. It's not good enough, and I certainly would not recommend using this builder.

+ house built quickly

- long waits for maintenance

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Megs21, it's distressing to hear such feedback. Please get in touch with help@simonds.com.au with your build details and we will ensure that this gets chased up for you.

• 14 helpful votes

Pulled out of contract

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2013

Were about to build with simonds, the product was called Simonds Express, As per simonds they have very competitive pricing but the bank does not think the same. Bank valuation was undervalued 25K, Simonds blame the land developer being pricy and Land developer blame simonds to be over pricey. Anyways pulled out of contract as we had "subject to finance" clause on both Construction and Land contract. The whole experience was exhaustive, sets you back emotionally. I wont be constructing any more with any one. Had paid a deposit of 2000$ to simonds which I have asked to return....lets see what happens there......

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Day12 - Still waiting for a proper response from Simonds

Simonds Official

Hi Raj, can you please send your job number and contact details to help@simonds.com.au? We'll make sure this matter gets chased up for you.

Day59 - Got my deposit back from Simonds............

BRISBANE

• 4 helpful votes

Build Location: Bridgeman Downs

Wish I didn't have simonds build a house for me

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2013

I will start with the driveway, which we asked to be exposed aggregate, and was installed a plain concrete drive. I then agreed to concrete stencilling of the drive but expressed my concern on the durability and finish of this, only to be proved right as the driveway has multiple crack after two months and the concrete stencil is far from good quality. When I asked why the driveway didn't merge with the road, the reply was, 'well did you ask for it'. Sorry, who's the construction company here?

There have been a number of other issues, such as the wrong drawing given to the supervisor, with the wrong windows in the wrong place. This was addressed quickly, but shows how inept some of the people were.

The en-suite shower door was in the wrong place, but the reason for this was that the draughtsman drew the two views differently and just worked from the one view, which was the incorrect view. When I mentioned this, I was told, 'it is your responsibility to make sure that there are no mistakes'.

Sorry, who's the draughtsman here!
We had about 5 different people in the office over viewing the build. None of them had any idea about building a house, nor did they communicate to let me know what was happening. All except one person that is, but she was then moved to another area of the company and so things got from good to bad again in no time at all.
There have been a number of issues on the inside of the build, but luckily, most of these are minor.

I emailed a complaint to a company representative, but received no reply........surprisingly.
As a positive, I found the quality of the build above average, but when you take the hassle factor into consideration, the 6/10 for quality, is then reduced to 2/10 for overall experience.
I wouldn't use them again.

+ The quality of the build was above average

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi fedup pom

Obviously we are disappointed to hear about your experience. If you would like us to look into your issues please email us at 'help@simonds.com.au'.

The Simonds Homes Team