Romsey

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Building experience was just OK, but definitely room for improvement

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

We've been in our new home (our second Simonds) for nearly 5 months. Now that the dust has settled, so to speak, I'd like to share our building experience with others. Our sales representative was outstanding - he was extremely professional and knowledgeable and is a credit to Simonds. We had two customer service representatives, and I have no complaint about either - they both answered emails or returned phone calls promptly. The building supervisor began by promising us a phone call a week (which I told him was not really expected by us, perhaps a call after each stage would be sufficient). Anyway it ended up he would only call if HE had something he needed to know from us. Good luck if there was something we needed to speak to him about ! I was really disappointed in his failure to return phone calls or reply to SMS messages. When it came to our final inspection we were told we had to inspect the plaster and paint work from at least 1 metre away. Now that we're in and have had time to see everything properly we can see why that is the policy. I wasn't expecting perfection, but there is great room for improvement (i.e. dings and dents in the plaster, runs in the paint, paint overspray on the kitchen cabinets). Actually the plaster and paint is the worst aspect of the house. Like, could you get the paint any thinner, Simonds ? It is wearing off on corners already (and there's only two of us living in the house). And as for the gloss trims, well I've never had gloss trim wear off after months - it usually takes years of wear. And to the bright spark who attached the "This house is ready for handover.....etc." sign to our door with sticky tape - great idea - when we took the sign off, the paint peeled off with the tape. Also we paid extra for chrome popups in two vanity basins, privacy locks in two toilets - none of which we were provided with, and unfortunately failed to notice until after handover. To add insult to injury, they didn't even provide plugs for the outlets we go - and do you think I can find plugs to fit anywhere ? Calls to the supervisor regarding this went (unsurprisingly) unanswered. As Simonds like to charge extra for every single little item they can think of, I like to get the extras I paid for no matter how inexpensive. I know it's also our responsibility to notice these things before handover, but in my opinion it is ultimately up to the supervisor to ensure that everything marked on the plans is included. Overall, a pretty lazy supervisor - lot of promises and assurances, but not much substance. Would I build again with Simonds ? No ! This is our 5th build, and I wouldn't use Simonds again. Had a much better experience with Henley homes last time. I looked forward to the 3 month maintenance to see how that was going to go. My expectations were not high ! Maintenance started out OK, but still waiting for some items to be attended to. No response from maintenance supervisor to my emails or phone messages.

Well after many months most outstanding maintenance issues attended to. Maintenance supervisor was great, but I suspect he was overloaded with an unrealistic amount of jobs to attend to. All in all build was just OK, I wouldn't built with Simonds again though. The bad plasterwork and very poor quality paint job was just not good enough. I suspect the contractors used have no actual trade qualifications as boy, does it show.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Tina, thank you for your honest feedback.

We would like to make sure that all of your concerns are addressed so we will ensure a team member contacts you as soon as possible to further discuss these issues.

Best wishes, Tristan.

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Jun 2018

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

The workmanship is just average, a lot of defects, which i felt like they don't wanna fix it, they trying to explain it to you but for me, they just want to get away with it. They managed it on time, I mean right on schedule but some defects still not done yet. Stage 3, they call it lock up stage, don't even have a temporary front door, they don't even bother putting it asap, don't know if they care, obviously not. Simonds homes i don't recommend it.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Leo, thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. This is certainly not an acceptable level of service. We want to make sure all your concerns are investigated a... read more »

Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Aug 2018

So far so good.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

The built was a bit slow but Im trying to understand their reasoning. We had some complaints with the built and they managed to fulfill our requests so we are happy so far with the built. Workmanship is good so far. Our current building supervisor is very helpful and really trying hard to make this build successful. ETA is in 6-8 weeks so hoping for the best.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Fowler, thank you for the feedback. If you wish to, please provide your job number and we can direct your positive feedback to the team members involved. If you have any more issues, please ... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Bumpy road.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2018

Having been our first build we felt that there was a lot of miscommunication.
Changing of multiple hands (lost track of how many people) and poor communication resulted in us not knowing what was happening.
Despite selecting in our facade, the house across the road also chose the same facade and colour combinations. We were then forced to change our entire facade colours and customisation made by staff (extra windows), resulting in extra costs. Due to the increase of windows resulted overlooking the additional blinds needed resulted in more EXTRA costs on our behalf after build.
Not explaining that the fill would be pushed back towards the end of the property resulting a higher fall.
Too many hidden extra cost spost build such as retaining walls that could have easily been done during the build if had been communicated with.
Driveway has been made incorrectly and scratching my car every time I drive in or out causing the black concrete and my car to be damaged.
However, [name removed] our building supervisor was very helpful during the building process.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Vanita! I'd like to thank you for your honest review. And we are sorry to hear about your frustration. We would like to make sure that all of your concerns are addressed so if you could plea... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Nice home

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Our home was built quickly and efficiently. During our stage appointments we were happy with great communication and workmanship from all. The guys were great to communicate with and helpful. This site supervisor Jason was great to deal with, and very well mannered. Both Heather and Jason have great communication, kept us up to date all the way throughout our build. Over all happy with our home, but as of yet we still need some maintenance done, and not happy in some area's.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Froggy, thank you for the great feedback. We appreciate your honesty and are very happy that your journey has been enjoyable. If you wish to, please provide your job number and we can direct you... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Building with Simonds was great experience

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

We had awesome support and help from [name removed] the salesman at Masrden Park office. I recommend him for he has been fantastic with his job. Though we had few issues with quality but everything was rectified. We had build with few builders before and only problem we had was that my house was not finished the time we were promised. Customer service and support after the build was great.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Savi, thank you for the great feedback. We are very happy to hear your journey with us has been enjoyable! If you wish to, please provide your job number and we can direct your positive feedback... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Sep 2016

Excellent Sales, Customer Service and Gallery!!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2017

SImonds has a great range of house styles, it uses great material brands such as Dowell for windows, Technika for appliances and Boral. Simonds has impressive sales and will attend any queries quick and thorough. We liked the way Simonds gives a layout drawing of the house on your land to give an idea on the fitting, not all Builders can do that. After contract signing comes the Gallery, we enjoyed this part. Simonds' selections were well presented, detailed and customer friendly. Our selection was well structured on the contract. It only took a couple of weeks until the construction began. Initial part of it has progressed easily from Slab stage to the roof tiling.

We had a poor Construction Supervisor that lacked attention to detail and did not have passion into meeting customer's satisfaction. There are couple of times where he would talk us out of a defect just to avoid doing the repair. Our construction stage was disappointing considering this is the most critical part, it put us into some stressful situations where we lost confidence with Simonds. Thanks to [name removed] our Customer Service Representative our issue was escalated and our house was taken over by a Construction Manager. This was a turning point, all our concerns were addressed at a Manager's level and met all our expectations. We realised (and our friends are correct) that it heavily depends on the Construction Supervisor the quality and satisfaction of work. If only Simonds will enable customers to select the Supervisor at the start.

After handover, we have had leaks through the ceiling that eventually got fixed within a week. Other than that the house has been good. The quality is average but [name removed] and [name removed] had been excellent to us.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Gen, thank you for the feedback. I will be sure to pass it on. Feel free to let me know you job number. Best wishes, Krissie

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Jul 2016

Reasonably Satisfied

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2017

First of all, I would like to thank [name removed] (Sales Consultant) for an excellent support that he has been given me from the initial sales through to contract signing and the construction of our house. Secondly, I am a bit disappointed with the site supervisor whom has not been fully cooperate with me during the construction and if I hadn't had an independent inspector to assist me with the inspection of the house during each phase, I would really regret.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Bang, thank you for the feedback. We'll be certain to pass this onto the team. If you wish, please provide your job number. Best wishes, Krissie

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria Construction End Date: Apr 2017

The Good, The Bad and the ...

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

The Good ...
Absolutely fantastic service from the 'team' I dealt with from Sales, through Admin to [name removed] on site, simply cannot fault the service and the 'can do' attitude from all concerned.

Special mention here to [name removed], she is one very organised and efficient lady. Her sense of humour and her and application to the task is truly exemplary and I can't thank her enough for her help through the 'journey'.

[name removed] was a very knowledgeable and 'on the ball' site supervisor, easy to get along with and attentive to my enquiries and requests.

The Bad ...

Several 'small' details (wrong doors - wrong downlights - two doors not delivered etc etc) were missed during construction and were not picked up except by me and this, despite the assurance that every minute detail is checked, re-checked and then checked again before going to site.

The Ugly ...

Some of the 'trades' (brickies - concreter - chippy ) working on my job turned in some very tardy work, this was going to go by 'un-noticed' until I brought it to [name removed] attention. Basically, it left me with the feeling that if I didn't find it myself .. it would be covered up and I would have to live with it. Not a great confidence builder as far as fostering trust with the builder.

Attending Gallery is an exciting part of 'the journey', however the excitement can sometimes turn a little sour when the cost of some of the add-ons is discovered. Just one example, add a set of (slide out) rubbish bins to the kitchen cupboard and add another $600 to the cost of the build .. price gouging .. nahhh .. they wouldn't, would they! The cost of upgrading the toilet bowl is on a similar level and soft closing draws at $100 per draw extra is also very steep when compared with the cost of the same mechanisms at Bunnings.

Conclusion ...

Despite the criticisms above, I remain generally satisfied with my build. This is in no small part due to the efforts of the 'team', who, without exception, bent over backwards to ensure my build went as smoothly as possible and attended to my queries, complaints and grievances in a professional and timely manor. They worked hard, tried harder, and succeeded. Thank you all for delivering a place I am happy to call my home.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Tony, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time. If there is anything further you would like us to follow up on we are happy to assist. If so, please let me know your job nu... read more »

Post completion let down

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

We fell in love with the Simonds Rio and scrutinised these reviews prior to committing. Our main reason for finally deciding to build with Simonds was because we loved the house design and could not find another we liked. It’s hard to provide a 5 star review on the overall process so I thought I would break it down:

Display/Consultant: 5 Stars, our consultant made themselves available after business hours to meet with us and prepare our contract. They were very helpful in providing recommendations that would ultimately save us some money and we were more than happy with this process. We met a number of times to make sure we were comfortable before signing. My recommendation at this process is to review the contract and drawings over and over and do not sign anything until you are 100% happy. Once signed, any changes will be classed as a variation which makes things very confusing and unnecessary considering you have not signed a contract as such.

Gallery appointment: 5 Stars, We couldn’t really fault this process. The staff were knowledgeable and again were able to recommend some great colour selections to benefit our design. The whole process can seem rushed at times as you only have half a day. My recommendation is to go with as much knowledge (photos of other displays, colour palettes, lists, etc) so making the decisions becomes much easier. There is a list to the suppliers on the Gallery website so you can research most colours prior to the appointment which will leave you enough time to make the important decisions.

Build process: 3.5 Stars, We engaged an independent building inspector to inspect and manage our build which cost around 2.5k for each inspection throughout the process (5 in total). I recommend this without a doubt as you don’t need to waste time meeting with the builder and the inspector liaises with the builder to fix all defects throughout the process. This process is far from easy and you really don’t get much interaction or feedback from Simonds at this time.

Final product: 4 stars, apart from the below, we love our house. The overall build quality is far from fantastic. My recommendation which I cannot stress enough is to not hand over your last payment until you feel it is 100% to your standards. We lucked out on this and are still paying the price 4 months later.

Post completion: 1 Star: This is really where Simonds let themselves down. It really shouldn’t be a difficult process. You are handed over with your dream home and yes there will be some teething issues as you live in your home and notice some defects. We had significant defects such as water leaks/flashing issues with water coming inside, cabinetry in some areas yet to be installed, access hatch in bathroom needed to be cut to fix hot water issues which was then never fixed for some time… the list goes on… You really need to jump up and down at this stage to get noticed and no, these are not standard defects to be picked up at 3 months. There were countless emails and phone calls at this stage and its now 4 months in and we are still waiting for some items to be fixed.

If Simonds could fix there post completion procedures and put the customer first I have no doubt their review would be closer to 5 Stars. It is the final product and service the customer remembers and it seems once they have their money they disappear and move on. When the customer are showcasing their dream home to their family and friends with a defects list the size of a book, this is when Simonds should be responding to their customers and there fixing them to leave you with a lasting impression so you will recommend your family and friends to hand over their hard earned dollars to build with them.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Ryan, thank you for the great feedback. We'll be sure to direct your positive feedback to the departments involved. As for the issues you are experiences with your new home, we want to make sure... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria Construction End Date: Feb 2017

Could not have done it without Fay toulson

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2016

We could not imagine going through this process without Fay Toulson. Words cannot express how thankful we are that she was our sales consultant. Her approach and her knowledge of Simonds and the building industry is exempletry. We were both novices in the building of our home and Fay was with us every step of the way. Cannot thank her enough.
We had major issues with our first CRC. But Fay came to the rescue. We then had a change in costruction supervisor and Fay came to the rescue again. We had Lauren as our new crc and Ilya as our new construction supervisor and when they weren't around Fay was always there any time of day.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Maria, we'll be sure to direct your positive feedback to Fay. Thanks and congratulations on your new home! Best wishes, Krissie

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria

Consistent approach from start to finish

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2016

Pleased with the overall project build from start to finish. Although delayed by a few factors out of the control of Simonds and ourselves, the build was in line with our expectations. Our building supervisors approach was straightforward and direct which I liked. More regular updates would always be welcomed but the communication was good throughout the process. Overall construction quality was as expected for a new build spec home. Finish (paint, fittings etc) was also as expected of a new build home.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi SRM, thanks for your feedback, I'll make sure your comments are passed on to our supervisors to try and ensure more regular updates are provided. Thanks for choosing Simonds.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Very happy until our 3 month maintance

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2016

We were happy with our build. It was completed on time. The quality on everything except the paint was great. Paint quality was atrocious, almost every wall needs to be repainted.
Maintenance team were a real let down. Still waiting for our maintenance to be completed, 6 months later. Poor communication and poor trademen are a real disappointment & let down the entire team.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Nicole, I'm sorry to hear the ruined by the the paint and maintenance issues you've experienced. Can you please let me know your job number by either posting here or mailing help@simonds.com.au. I'd look to look into your concerns further.

Verified Customer Build Location: Metropolitan Victoria

Overall good, but could be better.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2016

1.workmanship was OK, it could have been better, if the coloring of the interior walls were up to expectations.
2. Management was good.
3. Customer service and support was good as well.
Overall, I would say that the management was good however if the coloring of the interior wall was paid detail attention to, I would have given them a 4 star.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Rushin, thank you for your feedback, I'd like to investigate your concerns further. Can you please let me know your job number by either posting here or emailing help@simonds.com.au

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer

Never again. Do not recommend

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2016

Poor building quality e.g. Window recesses are not level, paint patches, a part of garage wall was built on neighbour's property, which was corrected by Simonds. Poor building supervision.
On ceiling studs can be seen, poor paint quality.
What changes we made in contract was not updated and had to follow up.
No communication, no updates on building stages apart from online.
Building supervisor was not easy to talk with, he had denied most of the issues.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Vish, I'm sorry to hear that your experience hasn't lived up to expectation. This is certainly not the level of service and quality of build we aim to deliver. If you could let me know your job ... read more »

Thanks for reply,

Better than expected

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2015

We have been in our new home for 8 months now and love it! We had read some horrible reviews of Simonds but as my partner had done some work for them decided to give them a go and it has been great! We only had a huge problem with our supervisor who now no longer works for them thankfully!

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Anna, thanks so much for review. I'm glad it all worked out in the end and you are loving your new home.

My OK house.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2015

The workmanship was not great but with some discussion most of the problems were repaired.
I wish I had got some professional advice from a builder when I added a couple of external doors as I didn't pick up that outside lights would be needed and neither did the Simonds rep, now I have external areas that I need to have lights fitted to by a contractor after the build.
The build was managed not too bad but the supervisor would have provided a better product if he had looked at the build a bit closer.
Customer service was great from the contact person but the follow up from the Building Supervisor took time and not all problems were sorted.

• 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Good sailing thus far

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2015

Haven't begun build aspect yet but am pleased with coordinator contact and queries for the imminent build. I have had all
Queries addressed in a timely manner. I have been able to arrange changes decided upon without too much hassle. I was pleased with purchase price but await site cost estimation to be hopefully less than quoted. Looking forward to completing this large project and see the created version from my initial vision.

Verified Customer Build Location: Regional Victoria

Good House, Terrible Admin.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2015

Our sales consultant was great. He gave us lots of time and understood our overall needs and gave us options that fit with our budget.
Gallery was a let down as there were assumptions made by the tile sales staff member that made us feel uncomfortable. Certain areas of the gallery were not met with our requests (eg: cupboard handles all going the sale way).
During the drafting process there were a lot of flaws - we had silly suggestions made when they couldn't put our house in the spot that it was originally designed for (eg: putting the alfresco on a right angle up against the fence). The house was moved into the middle of our block, leaving us with a retaining wall needing to be built down one whole side of the house that was never advised or discussed with us until we started to have our landscaping done.
Overall the build quality has been good for the budget cost, although at the 3 month maintenance the handy man as reluctant to do anything, and just gave us a jar of paint and told us how to fix the cracks in the window sills and cornices ourselves. We also have issues with the cabinetry in the kitchen, the walls in the bathroom around the vanity and now, a rusty light fitting over our mirror in the ensuite which we have no claim to having repaired apparently.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Amber, thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I'd like to look into your concerns in more detail, can you please let me know your job number? You can email it to help@simonds.com.au if you wish.

Good to a point

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2015

The planning process was good, efficient and professional. The range of product offering was good. The building process was also good with communication and updates on progress. The after build process is insufficient. There were a number of issues which were identified before we moved in which were to be dealt with. Once Simonds had the final cheque these were not done and we moved in and had to put them on the 3 month list. Just because you have made the sale and got the money, there is still a need for after sales service and in fact this was pre-sale service that they failed on.

Comments
Simonds Official

Hi Waugh family. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. I'm these concerns weren't addressed at the appropriate time. Can you please provide us with your job number? Would lik... read more »

They were resolved, at the three month stage. The issue was that they were flagged prior to hand over and were promised to be completed before we moved in. The final cheque was paid and that was it... read more »

1 of 3 pages