• 54 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2008

Customer care is poor. Don't know how to keep their customers happy. Not recommending at all. Not a type of builders who wants to sit with the customer

+ Good price

- Customer care is poor. Don't know how to keep their customers happy. Not recommending at all

54 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 47 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2008

Overall would not build with this company again. We have sold our house and have to be out by 12th October again they have change supervisor's and now we cannot get an answer as to when the completion date is going to be. House stands idle for days before any work gets done. We built our first home with Zucalla and had no problem's Guys there are many quality builder's out there that will give you a nice house at the right price shop around and don't go through what we're going through now.

+ Price is good and houses are very nice

- Very poor customer service, too many changes in supervisors poor quality in workmanship and to may delays.

47 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 15 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2008

It astounds me that a company, managed with the arrogance, lack of professionalism and disorganization such as SIMONDS HOMES QUEENSLAND, is still in existence! The only thing you can put it down to is lack of awareness on the part of consumers - hence my review. Don't make the same mistake we did! The second you pay your deposit, any "service" you thought you may be getting- is gone. We have lost count of the endless number of staff this company goes through, and its no wonder when you encounter the attitude of management. They will do ANYTHING to avoid responsibility for any mistakes they have made on your home - and let me tell you, there WILL be mistakes! And if you think your "fixed quote" is fixed, think again. What you THINK you are saving with this project builder, you will discover in their hidden costs. I could go on forever, but I think you get the general idea... SIMONDS HOMES SUCKS!

+ ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The only thing Simonds Homes have going for them is their ability to put up a flash display and fool people into buying one of their SHONKY homes and create a 2 YEAR NIGHTMARE for themselves.

- Its difficult to reduce what we dislike about this company to just a few words, but is probably best said like this. DISGUSTING, ARROGANT AND UNPROFESSIONAL SERVICE AND VERY POOR QUALITY PRODUCT (when you finally get it!)

48 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 46 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 07, 2008

Would never in this lifetime or any other build with Simonds QLD. They are the most unprofessional, unhelpful company I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. The biggest mistake of my life was to walk into their display home. So much so, that I had decided I did not want to live in it before it was completed. It was supposed to be completed November 07. Finally it was completed March 08 and handed over in a disgusting state. I spent the first month getting paint off the tiles - throughout the whole house. It was dirty and the maintenance list was a mile long. Only Moved in because I had to, got the place finished and sold it. Moving out this week - absolutely can't wait to be rid of it.
There are so many negatives with my experience i could write a novel. All i can say is they are a unique builder - in that you would only ever build with them once! The best part about a Simonds home?? - The day you sell and move out.

+ Absolutely none.. It was a nightmare from day one. It started with them telling me I was up for more $$ because there was rock on the block. First off, I had a fixed price contract and the builder was responsible for latent conditions and worse than that, they weren't even cutting my block!!

- Arrogant, unhelpful CSO, Supervisors and Construction Managers( and there were many). We went through 5 CSO's, 2 supervisors and 3 Construction Managers. I had to fight them every step of the way just to get what i had paid for. Mistakes - wrong vanities, wrong benchtops in all bathrooms and laundry, wrong interior paint colour, wrong exterior paint colour, wrong glass splashback, wrong front door and sidelights, wrong retaining- which lead to wrong slab for water tank.Wrong portico. Their attitude is close enought good enough! It took them 9mths to fix and only then because we compromised. Didn't return calls or emails. I had to send 9 emails to get a variation finally raised. So stressful that I did not even want to move into my new home. CSO was rude and condescending, only she was wrong on every account. They tried to stop us going to look at the work. What builder that was proud of their work would stop a client from seeing the progress of their new home? Supervisor constantly lied and months before completion I had asked them to confirm the Telstra lead in cable had been installed into the trench. The telstra technician came out 6 times to connect the phone because Simonds said they had done the work and they had not. I did not have a home phone for 6 wks after moving in because Simonds couldnt get their act together.

46 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 32 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2008

We were going to build through Simonds and purchased land as part of a house & land package. Paid the deposit, etc. Turned out house too big for block. Now left with a block and need to find house to suit (which we have now done) after six months.

+ Love the Lumino

- Unprofessional/inexperienced staff

32 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 53 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2008

Don't build with simonds, its not worth the fancy free upgrade kitchen or the air con they will chuck in. Save yourself a lot of stress and build with someone else.

+ liked the layout of the floorplan or i would have walked out a long time ago

- as many have said incopetent so and so's. Blaming us for delays when they sent out wrong drawings that i would not sign. After going to our colour selection they ordered it with out me signing and now apparently i can't change it. Different consultants, had different opinions on what was standard and what wasn't. Is it the Timber staircase or is it the plaster? Nov 07 requested final contract, only arrived in Jul 08, now a year later having so much stress still only 2/3 built externally. Passed frame stage with some of the frame down(all they want is more money). Trouble with construction managers not wanting to rectafy problems brought up with our own building inspector. People not return calls e-mails, giving me numbers to ring people!!!! i thought i sighned up so the company would do everything otherwise i think i should of built using my own contracters and saving a hell of a lot of money!!!

53 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 51 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2008

Choose an alternative company. Do not rely on the sales team to provide adequate instructions to the drawing team. You would need to throughly check each and every item. Inattention to detail on their side and confrontational management will see us in VCAT.

+ Appeared to be good value for money.

- Complete lack of customer focus. After 5 supervisors and countless layers of management they delivered 3 months late.

51 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 51 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2009

I would never build with Simonds again or recommend to anyone to build with Simonds Homes. I have built previously through Hallmark Homes and the experince was allot more proffessional and enjoyable. That's why I chose to build again, but on this occasion I chose the wrong builder :(

+ Nicely designed homes. Hence the reason why I chose to build with them.

- We have all heard the saying, "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!" This should be Simonds mission statement. They have obsolutely no idea about customer relations. I have had so many issues with the build process due to the incorrect information passed onto me. I have had variation on top of variation raised to rectify the issues which should have been delt with prior to signing the contract. Simonds advised in the beginning of changes which could be implemented and were applied to the contract, but when the buld got to site, they told me it was not possible anymore. They come up with too many lame excuses for there incompetence and poor attention to detail. They really need to have an internal quality audit of there documentation handling process. What was requested of my CSO, and what was drafted was two different things! It was an absolute nightmare !!!!!

51 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 52 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2009

Its a shame, a darn shame that they can get away with it all and still have the nerve to carry on. Never again.

+ Nice designs

- Not enough space to fit them here!!! The minute you finalise the contracts, the cons begin. Endless number of supervisors and construction workes who i am positive they were all apprentices. The faults are never theirs and their favourite quote is "it meets australian standards" which is a far cry from the truth. The slab of the house (yes the slab..) did not meet the standards, it failed, but we only found out ourselves 3 days before handover..the overall experience was a disaster. I will not go into any more further details, lets just say we have been in the house for 3 years now and we are stuck with it. Nothing is covered by their home warranty and there is absolutely no follow up despite the fact that i even walked right into their head office (phone calls mean nothing to them, the only time phone calls were returned was during the "sales" period, no calls were returned during and post construction) lets just leave it at that !

52 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 44 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2009

Took 1 year to build with a dozen supervisors. Can not get any contractors back to fix problems. Do NOT build with Simonds Homes

+ Designs

- Lack of Customer Service and broken promises

44 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 41 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2009

Each sales consultant tells different story.
Constant lie from the consultant, first he said they only can locked the price for 3 months.
Luckily we spoke with other sales consultant and asked them how long they can locked the price and she said she can locked up to 6 months.
And then we came back to the first consultant and said why other consultant can give me 6 months? and he said it's because she's new , she doesn't know anything about the procedure.
And we said then we will go with the 2nd consultant, and suddenly he said he can give us 6 months locked price.
O my god, he can flip in one second.
Because of that experience we changed our mind and don't want to deal more with them.

+ Nice house design

- Poor customer service

41 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 63 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2009

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT BUILD WITH SIMONDS, IF YOU DO IT WILL PROVE TO BE THE WORST DECISION OF YOUR LIFE. The mistakes they have made on our house are absolutely unbelievable:
1. Different coloured bricks scattered throughout the walls - they say they have a special liquid they can apply to change to one colour.
2. Beams engineered wrong - they refused to acknowledge the mistake at the start, now after the roof etc has been installed they refused to rectify the problem and expect us to wear it!
3. Vanities in both bathrooms wrong size - they have made them both smaller, this inlcuded ceasar stone benchtops being cut smaller as well.
4. One feature wall painted the wrong colour.
There is about 20 other mistakes that are just to numerous to mention.
They lie straight to your face, even management. They refuse to fix their mistakes, they just try to cover them up.
Most people who don't know a lot about building would probably not even pick up on some of the bad workmanship, consequently owners will not even notice the problems until they move in, in which case it is too late because they would have already paid Simonds and then forget about getting anything fixed!!!
MY ADVICE IS DON'T BUILD WITH SIMONDS, OR IF YOU ARE ALREADY BUILDING WITH SIMONDS, DO NOT PAY THEM A CENT UNTIL THEY FIX THEIR MISTAKES BECAUSE YOU WON'T GET THEM TO DO ANYTHING AFTER THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!

+ Liked the design of the house.

- Where do I begin. Mistake after mistake after mistake. VERY BAD workmanship, once you sign the contract, they don't care about you. They lie to you over and over again. 18months on they still haven't finished our house. Supervisor's are hopeless and don't have a clue what they are doing.

63 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 56 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 07, 2009

Never build with Simonds. We learnt the hard way and they have not even poured the slab yet. Overcharged for site costs, then when we show a quote from another builder for $3000 for block next door they drop down from $15000 to $9000. After putting bigger shower in, after contract stage they decide it doesnt fit and charge extra $1000 to move wall 10cm! (this was a mistake by the sales consultant) They dont return phone calls and if you complain at all the managers say to you that maybe you should pick another builder but then refuse to give your deposit back. I have a list of over 20 mistakes they have made so far and this is before the contract is finished and without the slab being poured. Its too late to change builders for first home owners grant or we would. Do not make the mistake we made at all, pick any other builder in Melbourne except Simonds homes.

+ Lumino is nice design.

- Unprofessional CSO
Loads of Mistakes and Errors by Simonds

56 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 5 answers
  • 31 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2009

After months and months of hunting for a 2 storey home to fit onto my narrow block i fell in love with the Laguna. The consultant i was dealing with was wonderful - called back, very accommodating and very informative. She knew what she was talking about.
I signed and paid $1500 deposit but unfortunately (OR FORTUNATELY for me) the bank didnt approve my loan so i asked for my deposit back. After been told it would be 2 weeks - 2 weeks turned into 7 and i had to hound Simonds every 2 weeks for my deposit. As soil tests were already done - i got $790 back - yep soil tyest cost me $710 but i was glad to get rid of simonds so didnt even query it. If this is what they're like for a refund what would the building process etc be like?

+ The house design

- Constantly calling them for my refund

52 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 73 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2009

In our experience, this builder cannot build a house to Australian standards & when defects are found, even obvious & serious defects like leaking rooms, will refuse to fix them properly, or refuse to fix them at all.

+ None. They've made building a home a complete nightmare.

- NEVER BUILD WITH SIMONDS HOMES!!! This builder is one of the worst and shoddiest building companies around! Since moving into our 'new home' 4 years we've had nothing but constant problems from numerous defects, but the worst thing is Simonds' refusal to fix them properly, or fix them at all. The defects are too numerous to count - 11 areas of the house leaking (with 4 rooms STILL LEAKING), rust on their iron work, using different coloured & different batches of bricks for the exterior and refusing to fix it, forgetting to put a complete ducted heating system, crooked architraves & walls, patched up paintwork, main doors that let the water in etc..... Simonds don't build to Australian standards & will employ a variety of strategies to evade their legal responsibility to fix defects - ignoring calls & letters, promising to fix problems but instead fixing them months, & sometimes, years later, or the classic patching it up & telling you that this method will permanently fix the defect, which it doesn't. For ANYONE WHO'S BEEN HAVING CONSTANT PROBLEMS WITH SIMONDS HOMES - WRITE TO THE BUILDING PRACTITIONER'S BOARD (BPB) in your state. You can write to them even if your house has already been finished & the defects fixed. The Building Practitioner's Board looks at Builders who build defective works & who refuse to rectify them, or refuse to rectify them properly within a reasonable period of time. The Board has powers to reprimand a builder, & this includes DEREGISTRATION or REMOVAL OF THE BUILDER'S LICENCE TO BUILD.

73 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 23 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2009

Still in the building process, signed up over a year ago, same story as many others on this site, constantly changing site supervisors and customer service officers, never return your calls, impossible to get hold of, they send out invoices when stages aren't complete then threaten you with chares if you dont pay, refuse to fix any problems, i have a huge list of faults that they refuse to even comment on, very poor workmanship and even poorer customer service, reccommend not to build with Simonds, you will end up with a big head ache and a shonky house

+ FLOOR PLAN SUITED OUR NEEDS

- EVERYTHING BUT THE ABOVE

60 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 58 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2009

Very poor company to deal with be warned do not deal with them. Customer service appalling, will not return calls, unreliable with claims ie claiming before work completed at all stages, constant change in personnel, shoddy workmanship, They take no ownership or responsibilty for the issues that arise during the building process ie walls not having insulation installed, just plastered up without it. Paint thinned therefore you can still see the wallboard through 2 coats of paint.

+ Pre sales consultant excellent

- Everything else be warned

58 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 53 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2009

Very poor customer service, they employ the most unexperience trades men, the most arrogant supervisors and useless customer service managers.
They never return phone calls, continously changes staff and the new staff is no different to the first in terms of efficiency. They add this extra charges at the final invoice without any notification.
Makes me laugh everytime I see their TV advertisement "were in it together"
NEVER EVER BUILD WITH SYMONDS HOMES!!!!

+ Helpful during the enquiry stages.

- everything else right after construction started.

53 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 59 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2009

Simonds don't return phone calls or emails. Can't seem to get their act together. Building a house in the South East Region and have had constant changes of staff, 3 CSO and 2 Site Supervisors. They don't take any responsibility when things go wrong, it is everyone else's fault. Our house is contractually due to complete next week, highly unlikely to happen. It has taken 9 months so far to build a single storey house. You end up checking up on all their work. Had a wall completed without insulation installed despite bringing it to their attention on numerous occasions. Simonds Homes is not a good company to deal with, build with someone else! BE WARNED, DO NOT BUILD WITH SIMONDS HOMES!!!

- Appalling Customer Service and Shoddy Workmanship

59 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 62 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2009

becareful, get it in writing that if they make a mistake you get a full refund. Advertise this site to anyone you care about, i am going to advertise this website at display homes. It took 9 weeks to tell me that my home would not fit, but if we turned the home a bit it would, however you would back out of the garage into the fence. This is acceptable if you ask simonds. As i have also read constant calls no answers. its time we all rang 3AW and the TV stations, lets make a stand against the "were in it together company". the only thing i`m now in is the poo. Thanks Simonds.

- incorrect information house wouldnt fit, i only found this out 1 day before signing contracts, wasted time pick tiles etc. but lucky me got $500 refund on my $1500.00 deposit for their mistake. No communication a scam.

60 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 44 pages

Hi I recently built a house in Point cook with Simonds . The contract said that Blinds will be installed to all the windows. But one blind is missing and builder wants to pay for the extra blind and charges. I want to lodge a formal complain. Please advise how to lodge the formal complain. Thx Mohan Mob: [number removed]

Mohan asked on Jan 09, 2018

Answer this

Hi Mohan, I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you got a build number or mobile number we can contact you on to help you?

Client No: 50450 Mohan Somasundaram

My question is our loan didn't happen the bank didn't lend us the money we put $2500 dollars deposit, we contacted the sales consultant in regards of getting our deposit back. This is their reply to us, Please remember that the deposit paid for the build of the home was only refundable up until we put your file into head office. A lot of work has gone into preparing your build up until this point in time, and this is where your $2500 would have already been absorbed. I don't understand, what work? , so we get penalized by simonds for not getting the loan from the bank, we're told varies of time we will get our deposit back if the loan was not approved, I even try to postponed the day selecting seccion. Cause at that stage we haven't hear from the bank regarding of the loan. Now who do I contact to get my deposit back? The head office Accurent affair or Australia fair trade.

Dolores asked on Jan 09, 2018

Answer this

Hi Dolores, I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you got a mobile number or build number so we can get in contact to help you?

Simons sale consultant has two number my Number and my nephews Alan we will appreciate if they can contact my nephew, I was trying to help him to buy his first home is getting harder and harder to buy a house and sadly the loan was not approved, with his low income he will not be able to ever buy a house. I don't have a build number but what I got is the a number on the receipt of the deposit Key #Q3629.

Has anyone build in upper point cook with Simonds or dealt with them? What are your thoughts? I'm not so happy with the customer service at the moment.

Bluetess asked on Dec 04, 2017