Review rating:

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2018

Our first build experience has been a positive one – thanks to SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

Six months living in our SJD home and we’re still pinching ourselves that this beautiful home is ours. To say that we are happy with our SJD home is an understatement – we simply love it!

Shortly after securing a block of land two years ago, we nearly committed to signing with a ‘big’ builder. However, change in circumstance saw us delaying any build for a few months, resulting in us missing out on our initial deposit as well as ‘locked-in price’

In retrospect perhaps that was meant to be as our research led us to SJD homes. Drawn to the good online reviews and their current promotion at the time, we decided to pop into SJD’s Tulliallan display home. We met with Tracey Johnson, who eventually became our sales consultant. Tracey was so easy to deal with, never pushy in sales talk (which we loved after being hassled with too many sales calls in the past).

What started as an initial enquiry about SJD’s entry-level Evolution range homes, ended up with a deposit for one of SJD’s top tiered Aspire range homes. And no, this was not Tracey up-selling to us. It is basically a testament to the quality and value in SJD’s homes. The final build price was nearly on par with the price of the initial builder we had. Only difference was, with SJD we got so much more! The standard inclusions included items like 2.7 m high ceilings, stone bench tops through out, double glazing etc. With the other builder these would have been upgrades.

When it came to the colour selection, we were professionally guided by Leah, who brought together our various ideas into a uniform look that we could not feel more pleased with and proud of.

For the build phase, Shane was our supervisor and, like Tracey, was open and easy to deal with – guiding us through our many first home-buyer ‘silly’ questions. Shane also listened and addressed any concerns during and after our build.
Also, need to mention the Accounts office staff at SJD, in particular Dimity. Hiccups with our bank saw the first draw down payments for the base and frame stage delayed by a few weeks. Was a very stressful period to say the least, but was good to have a friendly voice on the other end each time we called in.

In conclusion, thanks to the team at SJD, our first build experience has been a positive one. As first homebuyers with a young family… when we started this journey two years ago, from buying the land and looking at potential builders, we could never have imagined we could afford a home of this size, quality and finish. SJD made what we once only dreamed of having a reality. We would encourage anyone looking for a quality build, but at the same time, value for money, to give SJD a go.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2015

Repeatedly Happy Customer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

I have built two homes with SJD now, my very first home and then 5 years later my upgraded home, and am happy with them both. My latest one was completed in December 2015 and nearly 3 years later I have no issues. I was very surprised to read one of the negative reviews below as it was the complete opposite for me. SJD bent over backwards to accommodate my heavily-modified home from their original plans. I've had quotes and discussions from other builders who flatly refuse to move (non-structural) walls or doors and change things, however SJD were more than happy to work collaboratively to suit my needs. I learned some lessons from my first build and was very specific with the small details on this house and I think that helped in the great end result. By this, I mean that I specified everything myself from tile orientation to light and powerpoint placement, rather than just leave it up to the builder/designer.
Once we progressed onsite things got even better as I was assigned Shane as building supervisor. Shane is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful blokes in this game you could wish for. He was always patient with my 101 questions and went over and above in explaining how and why things were done a certain way, not just give the answer and fob me off.
The only very minor issue I had was that one of the tiles delivered was wrong. This was picked up by Shane prior to the tiler laying them and rectified within the week. Handover was still completed well under the allotted time for the total build as they worked really hard to give me my wish of moving in prior to Christmas!
I can't sing the praises enough of this mob, especially Shane. When I build my next house i'll certainly be using SJD again.
For what it's worth, no I'm not a relative or a mate of anyone that works for SJD; I simply believe in advocating for someone or something if you've had a great experience.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2018

My dream Home Built by SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2018

We are very happy with the quality of our new home from Slab to roof , plasterers tiles and cabinet are all very high quality, insulation is very good. SJD offers very competitive prices when compare to other builders, Our supervisors Shane have been great in responding promptly to our calls and queries. The customer service has been good, highly recommended builder,

Thanks everyone
Srinivas & Sangeetha

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2018

Highly recommended builder

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

We've just finished a build with SJD and we have had a very smooth experience. No major issues at all. Minor things that are to be expected that have been promptly and professionally dealt with. Special mention to our site manager Shane, who has been excellent. Easy to contact, quick to reply and has great tips based on his years of experience.

Our large double storey build started in November and was completed in July. Our friends and family are in disbelief that something of such a high standard could be completed so efficiently. Even our independent site inspector commented on the high quality of our build.

I can honestly say we have no personal affiliation with SJD and neither do my two work colleagues who also built with SJD and love their homes. I would assume the small number of reviews is more likely to be due to the fact that SJD only take on a certain number of projects per year so that they can give you a more personalised experience. It's not until you hear about builds with other companies, that you truly understand the superior experience you get with SJD.

If your priority is a high number of reviews online, then maybe this isn't for you. But if you are looking for a builder that is reliable, efficient and truthful about costs from the start, pick SJD, you won't regret it.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

12 Months In and we still love our SJD Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

12 months ago today (22/06/17) we picked up the keys to our new SJD Hamish designed Home. We decided to wait a whole year. To have that time to reflect on the process and the end result of building with SJD. Rather than get caught up in the small stuff as I’ve read from other passed posts from other builders reviews . We wanted to leave an honest and realistic view of our Journey from planning stage to Building stage to the end result and looking back over the last year.

Building a new home is a real challenge and can feel overwhelming at times but overall it was the best decision we ever made for our family to build with SJD

The planning process
Planning to contacts
SJD had a few minor hiccups that had to sorted out by Rod Sales Manager from an staff member that new to the industry. And a change in to our site costs but Once that was all sorted we were back on track. The Planning stage was all in the details -
SJD had by far the best option for upgrades and variety from shower heads to bathroom basins colour range and they didn’t try to rip us off in costs like we had from larger building firms that we had quoted from . Their Standard inclusion for our house we’re higher ceilings, larger architraves, 900mm oven. Higher grade quality carpet. Larger size tiles All included. Our colour selection meeting was very easy to follow and understand giving us the best choices to make to suit our needs and tastes.
other builders tried to charge us for inclusion in their quotes.

The Build process
Arron was our building supervisor very professional guy. Always emailed updates and call at each stage in the building process. We did call with questions along the way always Got back to us with answers can’t fault him in communication.
I like anyone building for the 1st time became a little obsessed to see where they were up to in building our house driving up to the house a couple of times a week, I could honestly say there were 9on site nearly 6 days a week for a majority of our 4.5month build.

The Result
We made the best decision to build with SJD. The quality of house for our budget truly work for our family. After 1 full year living in the house. We have settled right in to our home . No cracks No call backs for fault work. Nothing, nothing at all we have not had to call them once in the last 12 months for anything. That for us has been the best stress free feeling.
If you are considering SJD as your builder you have made a good choice and we didn’t Regret it.
Good luck with your build and we hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Fantastic Company to build a new HOME with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2018

Having dealt with SJD Homes with 2 Build recently, being our own build and our Son and Daughter-in -Laws. I have to say that their service is exemplary from start to after sales and handover support. Nothing is ever to much for their staff to assist you with. You are treated as a person and not a number. They are fully transparent with all dealings.
Our block was an irregular corner block that several builders and the developer said that we would have to build a 2 Storey on. When we spoke with SJD Homes Jean Morrison and Kevin Parson were able to design a beautiful SINGLE storey Home with 4 Bedrooms, 3 Living Areas, Butlers Pantry and extended Double Garage together with a sizeable garden/entertaining area. The storage space that Jean and Kevin where able to encompass in the design has been commented on by many of our friends, as unfortunately in this day and age a lot of properties lack storage space.
SJD’s range of standard inclusions is superior to that of other builders and is a big cost saving when it comes to choosing colours, tapware, floorings etc. This is very important when calculating the overall cost. Leah is very talented in assisting with Colour Selections, she listens to what you are trying to and then advises you on what will work in a very professional and consultative manner and never puts your down but directs you as to the best overall solution.
Our site supervisor Shane was on the ball throughout both builders and nothing was ever any trouble for him, even when we asked seemingly trivial questions we were treated with respect and dignity. He ensures that they deliver a quality, professional build on time.
We have been in our property for nearly a year, I have held off writing a review so as I can reflect on what the after hand over support is like and am happy to say that we have not had any major problems and the small ones that we have had have been quickly rectified.
We love our HOME and are so happy that we choose SJD Homes to build it for us as they made what is a scary process very simple. You hear so many horror stories, but I assure you SJD make the whole process simple and seamless.

Officer

The beginning of forever

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2018

Our block was a little complicated, a build that nearly didn’t happen until SJD homes put their hand up! From the moment we met with Tracey our building consultant, we knew we were in good hands! Things only got better from there when our site supervisor Shane was appointed to us. Shane never missed a beat! When we were told things were going to happen, they happened and even sometimes ahead of schedule. The communication Shane gave to us was exceptional, we were always in the know. Our Caversham split level is the most beautiful house which with the help of SJD homes we turned into a loving home. We have been in our home for 10 months and still walk around in awe that this magnificent home is ours! Our dream became a reality thanks to the team at SJD Homes. This is a home where we will raise our children and make so many memories. I highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone about to build. It will be a wonderful build with very personal attention to you whilst building. You will not be disappointed. Thanks Shane, Tracey and the whole team at SJD homes.

melbourne

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2017

quality product five stars all the way!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

I've decided to write this review based on my experience with SJD so here we go. Firstly It was very important for me to know what each builder offered in regards to size of house, layout and list of inclusions as well as knowing what the site costs were going to be for my block of land prior to signing any contract. It all started with me visiting about 150 display homes throughout Melbourne over a 3 month period and getting a feel for what each builder offered. What I can say is don't be fooled with display homes cause most builders ensure that their displays are of a high standard so when you walk in you feel like you're getting the same with your brand new build. Keep in mind I am one very fussy customer and I make sure that my research is done thoroughly before committing to anything. Also another good tip is to stay away from volume builders because at the end of the day your just a number.

Look for a small to medium builder and one that takes pride in the finished product. This is where SJD ticks all the boxes. For anyone looking to build please read this> Don't waste your time and money on other builders; SJD homes are by far the leaders in building you a quality home and I seriously mean that! Everyone who has been inside my house were complementing me on such a fantastic home as well as the finishing touches which were quite amazing. They thought it was just as good or if not better than a display home and that just goes to show you what type of product you get when the build is complete with SJD. Big thanks to the tradies; great job guys! and that's coming from one fussy customer. But the two most important people who really guided me through the process was Tracey my sales consultant and Andy my site supervisor. Firstly Tracey was an absolute pleasure and privilege to work with. She will go to great lengths to ensure everything is done properly as well as touching base with you regularly and seeing if everything is in the contract before signing away.

From memory I think I hold the record for SJD on revised plans and quotes. I kept changing and adding more things to my list of bells and whistles and boy was I happy I did. I must of revised my plans and quotes 13 or 14 times which indicates how fussy I really am; nonetheless Tracey was very patient and I honestly thank her for being patient throughout the whole process. Now secondly Andy my site supervisor this guy is an absolute legend! Andy ensured everything went to plan and each stage was completed on time and just like Tracey he was very patient in all the questions I asked him. There were times where he advised me on a few changes with the plans and I left it in he's hands cause I knew I had a professional looking after me. If I wasn't happy with something, Andy was onto it straight away. This guy doesn't muck around and gets things done straight away. In my view SJD are very lucky to have someone of Andy's calibre but also blessed to have a good team working for them. SJD thanks for such a beautiful home and to anyone looking for a builder, look no furthur SJD will definitely look after you. Big thumbs up guys............ Garth

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Very, very, very happy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 25, 2018

My wife and I searched almost every weekend for 2 years for a new home for our growing family! We couldn't find anything we liked and after almost giving up we stumbled across a beautiful block of land and decided overnight to build our dream home! Then the nervous search for a builder began. We've been through every display home in Melbourne's south east, spoke to every builder, talked with families that had built homes and started to narrow our focus down to three builders. After several visits to their display homes and several discussions with their helpful helpful staff we decided to go with SJD Homes. It's a decision we have never regretted either!
We had the pleasure of working really closely with our Sales Consultant Neville on a customised Rutherford design to suit our block. Neville was very knowledgeable and provided us with plenty of practical advice during the design process. In fact, with a mountain of decision changes and adjustments to the building design, we really test SJD's patience and they were fantastic the entire time!

Once we got through our design and contract process, we met our Site Supervisor, James. We are very fussy people, and we were glad to find that James was a perfectionist too! James made the building process easy, made all appointments, asked our advice on minor design challenges, fixed any building supply issues and was always calm and relaxed! As everyone knows the building process is stressful enough - but James was brilliant in turning our designs into reality. Most importantly, the finishes, workmanship and craft within the home has impressed all of our family and friends.

We have also been pleasantly surprised by SJD and James' after handover support. He's managed all questions without fuss and we feel like valued customers.

Suffice to say, we would build again tomorrow with SJD, with Neville as our sales consultant, and James as our site supervisor. Thank you guys for making our dream home a reality! We love it.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2018

10 STARS to our building consultant Tracey!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2018

From the moment we stepped in the door, we have had a seamless and enjoyable journey with SJD Homes. Our building consultant, Tracey, has been so accommodating to our specific needs and has gone above and beyond to truly make our dreams come true, providing great suggestions to really make the home 'our own'. Building our first home seemed scary at first, Tracey was happy to answer any question we had with her outstanding communication skills. Always clear and thorough information meant there was no surprises and little to none errors. Pricing was reasonable which left room for us to select upgrades and extras. Colour Selections was a breeze, their showroom had everything and Leah did an amazing job of helping us with selections. Today we have officially signed our building contracts and cannot wait to build our first home with SJD. Big thanks to Tracey for everything she has done.

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

They don't just build houses.... they build homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

I have been in my new SJD home now for almost year and I have purposely not written this review until now. I didn't want the euphoria of moving in to the home to cloud my opinion on the quality of the build. I wanted to wait until the one year maintenance period was almost done to give an honest view. So what you get here is a very considered view. Sadly my circumstances changed during the initial period of searching for a house design as my partner passed away. I did my research and went along to SJD to consider options with them. After meeting SJD's sales consultant Tracey I realised that this is a company who genuinely cares about their customers. I had a particular design in mind and through the willingness and commitment from Tracey to work with me, we put two of their house designs together to create my home. Tracey even went over and above her role to research facades with me that they could adapt to suit. Of course anyone who has built a house knows that the quality of the actual build and its progress is down to the quality of the supervisor. I reckon I got the best. Knowing my circumstances and that I was doing it alone, Shane gave his commitment to guide me through the process and he did just that with kindness, advice and true professionalism (responding to enquiries, keeping things on track, being honest to help guide me). The finished product was just as I wanted it to be and the finish is fantastic. Yes I have had a few snagging problems which I defy any build not to have. What matters most though and I think this is the testament to a professional company - is that I felt heard, the problems were sorted quickly and to a high standard. I felt valued as the customer. I would recommend (and in fact have recommended) SJD to others. They don't just build houses, they build homes and that's the difference. In my case they kept their promise to do that for me and I am very grateful. Thank you SJD and in particular the wonderful Shane and Tracey.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Great Experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

We built our first investment property with SJD Homes recently and could not have asked for a better experience!

From the get go the whole process was easy and stress free. Nothing was too much to ask and everyone always willing to assist where they could.

The quality of the finishes and exceptional customer service will have us back again for our own home due to start early next year.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2017

If you are looking at building a family home with whatever budget you have, look no more as SJD homes will tick most if not all the boxes that you might be looking for. We built a modified Hamish in Keysborough to suit our block and the end product was surely value for money. This builder takes attention to detail and ultimately takes customer service to a whole new level. Forget about the so called big builders, SJD Homes will not disappoint you. Thank you to the SJD team for a wonderful experience.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2016

SJD delivered!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

For our second house build, we were looking to build a spectacular home on the 5 acres we'd previously bought. After looking at all the major builders and getting some great ideas, we were disappointed with the quality of their display homes in Officer.
We'd previously seen the SJD Homes display home and not thought much of it, but we went in to have a good look around. The first thing that hit us was the way they were put together very well and had a good list of inclusions for the price.
Over quite a few design meetings, we settled on what started off as a Ranchstyle house but became a totally custom design with everything we wanted; double glazing, extra insulation, higher ceilings, entertainers kitchen with butlers pantry, play room, parents retreat and full custom cabinetry throughout.
Our site supervisor Scott was always on hand to work with us and showed impressive patience on what was quite a detailed build. He drove through a 44 square house build in six months and the quality is fantastic.
When we have had any issues they've been dealt with straight away and fixed correctly.

We've had some local real estate agents through recently and the prices that they say we could sell for means it would be an easy and quick profit if we wanted to sell now.

I have recommended SJD to other friends and family and we wouldn't hesitate to build with them again.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Building with SJD Homes was a dream!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Building my new home with SJD homes was a dream! I was looking for a builder who could be flexible and deliver a quality product, both were provided by SJD homes. Not only are their houses beautiful but their approach to the building process stood out above all the other companies. A quality product on display and approachable friendly staff who take pride in giving you the very best. From the very beginning, when I met my sales consultant Lee, everything was possible. I fell in love with the Grande, with just a few changes to suit my needs, Lee made the entire process fun. I never thought I'd sit and laugh so much as we went about getting the plans just right. Nothing was a problem and regardless of how busy he was, Lee always made the time to discuss any requests and ideas. His wealth of knowledge of the design process meant that the final plans were exactly as I had envisioned. As my time of planning came to an end, the time to build began. It was at this point that I met my wonderful site supervisor Andy. Precision and professionalism high on the list of wonderful qualities he possesses, Andy is the man you want to be leading the charge in building your home. Once again, nothing was a problem, communication was free flowing and clear and his uncompromising integrity made him shine. With the complex coordination required to get the job done, Andy handled everything with grace and a highly sort after professional approach. His drive to ensure the house delivered was a perfect home made the process of building that much more enjoyable.

Officer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

Amazing journey, thanks SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

From the first time we spoke to Tracey, our sales consultant, we knew we would get everything we wanted and more. After originally signing up with a larger volume builder, we always found ourselves questioning our choice, thinking we "love the SJD home but can we get it modified to fit our block and in our price range?", well if you want a builder to meet your expectations and more have a talk to SJD. Every question and request was met with a quick positive response and Tracey went above and beyond what was expected of her, a real professional. we felt comfortable all through the design and contract stages and then when the build started we got an absolute legend of a site supervisor in Paul. He kept us up to date and made improvements on what we already thought was a perfect home. There was no bad time to speak to him and he was always positive and understanding. Like Tracey,Paul went out of his way to make our home perfect. We would not hesitate to recommend SJD, from the 12ft ceilings, to amazing kitchen, theatre and bar and so much more. Just so many choices. We couldn't be happier and can't thank SJD homes enough. We have since recommended our parents to build with SJD homes and they have recently completed there home and love it as well. We are so proud.
Thanks again

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

The force will be with you if you build with SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away our story began we were to meet Princess Leah (Rachelle) Darth Vadar (Rod) and late in 2016 Luke Skywalker ( Andy) would cross our paths and little did we know how lucky we were.
You like us will be reading these 42 reviews thinking they can't be this good, well let us tell you they are! Our experience with SJD has been the same as all the reviews below and we like them are so grateful to their marvellous team for making our dream come true.
As Obi One Kanobi said in A New Hope ' the force will be with you always if you build with SJD' and he was right.
Thanks SJD we will be forever grateful, catch up soon.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2016

Wonderful builder! Anything we needed help with was done.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

We built with SJD last year and we are so happy we did! From the very beginning nothing was too hard and any question we had was answered promptly. Our site manager Shane made what could have been a stressful build easy. His professionalism and willingness to help went above and beyond. I would definitely consider building with SJD again!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

They will build you a home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2017

Anyone looking to build your dream home, you have found your builder.
For us it all begun at the sales stage. No nasty traps, just genuine words.
Thanks Leigh for being so patient with us. I think we went to the display home over 20 times. Changed the quote 6 times changed the plans so many times and yet nothing was ever an issue and Leigh was more than happy to help.
Then the build stage. Wow!
Shane was absolutely brilliant! Not just because the quality of the finishes were amazing but how he takes ownership of the process and treats you with such kindness and understanding.
It's not everyday you build your dream home and he is understanding of that.
Thanks Shane!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Can't go wrong with SJD!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2017

We were on the point of selling our lot of land when we met Rachel from SJD. After cancelling a contract with one of the major builders who promised us everything we wanted to hear before signing the contract and then advised in an email that the changes we had asked for could not be done, after seeing other five builders who for various reasons we didn't like or trust, we were seriously thinking about giving up. We didn't think we can find a builder to build our custom designed home within our budget. But luckily Rachel proved us wrong! The inclusions were just unbelievable compared to what the other builders had to offer. We got Shane as our site supervisor and we are very happy with the outcome. Started building in August and we were in the house before Christmas, just as Shane promised. That will be a Christmas we will never forget! To be honest, not everything went as planned, but any unexpected issue was handled in a timely and professional manner. When the windows supplier repeatedly failed to replace a few of our windows (that were supposed to be double glazed and they were not), Shane brought in a third party to do the job, so the windows were replaced before we moved in. Also, there were things that went wrong even after hand over, like the hot water system that stopped working twice, but Shane has contacted the supplier and the plumbing company, and our solar water system was replaced the very next day. Communication was also very good, Shane always got back to us and didn't make us feel like we were a nuisance and most of all we were never treated like we were just a number, or just one of the thousands of customers. Both Rachel and Shane treated us in a way that made us feel that our dream house to be perfect was not only important to us but to them as well. The workmanship is of high quality, and this is not just our opinion but the opinion of every single person who came to see the house while and after being built. The only thing I would change is the paint. The painting job is not that great and the paint used in not washable. But that is probably our fault for not thinking about asking the right questions.
To cut a long story short .... if we will ever decide to build again, we will definitely chose SJD as our builder, no doubt about that.
Thank you SJD, especially Rachel and Shane!

1 of 3 pages