Review rating:

Officer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

Amazing journey, thanks SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

From the first time we spoke to Tracey, our sales consultant, we knew we would get everything we wanted and more. After originally signing up with a larger volume builder, we always found ourselves questioning our choice, thinking we "love the SJD home but can we get it modified to fit our block and in our price range?", well if you want a builder to meet your expectations and more have a talk to SJD. Every question and request was met with a quick positive response and Tracey went above and beyond what was expected of her, a real professional. we felt comfortable all through the design and contract stages and then when the build started we got an absolute legend of a site supervisor in Paul. He kept us up to date and made improvements on what we already thought was a perfect home. There was no bad time to speak to him and he was always positive and understanding. Like Tracey,Paul went out of his way to make our home perfect. We would not hesitate to recommend SJD, from the 12ft ceilings, to amazing kitchen, theatre and bar and so much more. Just so many choices. We couldn't be happier and can't thank SJD homes enough. We have since recommended our parents to build with SJD homes and they have recently completed there home and love it as well. We are so proud.
Thanks again

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

The force will be with you if you build with SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away our story began we were to meet Princess Leah (Rachelle) Darth Vadar (Rod) and late in 2016 Luke Skywalker ( Andy) would cross our paths and little did we know how lucky we were.
You like us will be reading these 42 reviews thinking they can't be this good, well let us tell you they are! Our experience with SJD has been the same as all the reviews below and we like them are so grateful to their marvellous team for making our dream come true.
As Obi One Kanobi said in A New Hope ' the force will be with you always if you build with SJD' and he was right.
Thanks SJD we will be forever grateful, catch up soon.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2016

Wonderful builder! Anything we needed help with was done.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

We built with SJD last year and we are so happy we did! From the very beginning nothing was too hard and any question we had was answered promptly. Our site manager Shane made what could have been a stressful build easy. His professionalism and willingness to help went above and beyond. I would definitely consider building with SJD again!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

They will build you a home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2017

Anyone looking to build your dream home, you have found your builder.
For us it all begun at the sales stage. No nasty traps, just genuine words.
Thanks Leigh for being so patient with us. I think we went to the display home over 20 times. Changed the quote 6 times changed the plans so many times and yet nothing was ever an issue and Leigh was more than happy to help.
Then the build stage. Wow!
Shane was absolutely brilliant! Not just because the quality of the finishes were amazing but how he takes ownership of the process and treats you with such kindness and understanding.
It's not everyday you build your dream home and he is understanding of that.
Thanks Shane!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Can't go wrong with SJD!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2017

We were on the point of selling our lot of land when we met Rachel from SJD. After cancelling a contract with one of the major builders who promised us everything we wanted to hear before signing the contract and then advised in an email that the changes we had asked for could not be done, after seeing other five builders who for various reasons we didn't like or trust, we were seriously thinking about giving up. We didn't think we can find a builder to build our custom designed home within our budget. But luckily Rachel proved us wrong! The in clusions were just unbelievable compared to what the other builders had to offer. We got Shane as our site supervisor and we are very happy with the outcome. Started building in August and we were in the house before Christmas, just as Shane promised. That will be a Christmas we will never forget! To be honest, not everything went as planned, but any unexpected issue was handled in a timely and professional manner. When the windows supplier repeatedly failed to replace a few of our windows (that were supposed to be double glazed and they were not), Shane brought in a third party to do the job, so the windows were replaced before we moved in. Also, there were things that went wrong even after hand over, like the hot water system that stopped working twice, but Shane has contacted the supplier and the plumbing company, and our solar water system was replaced the very next day. Communication was also very good, Shane always got back to us and didn't make us feel like we were a nuisance and most of all we were never treated like we were just a number, or just one of the thousands of customers. Both Rachel and Shane treated us in a way that made us feel that our dream house to be perfect was not only important to us but to them as well. The workmanship is of high quality, and this is not just our opinion but the opinion of every single person who came to see the house while and after being built. The only thing I would change is the paint. The painting job is not that great and the paint used in not washable. But that is probably our fault for not thinking about asking the right questions.
To cut a long story short .... if we will ever decide to build again, we will definitely chose SJD as our builder, no doubt about that.
Thank you SJD, especially Rachel and Shane!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2017

Well worth the wait

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

This could have been a nightmare but Rachel saved us. We bought our sloping block and then found our home builder. Have you ever heard of a significant landscape overlay? No, we hadn't either but after almost a year overdue the developer titled our land and because of the significant landscape overlay the council wouldn't approve our plans.
I don't know if your building consultant is supposed to visit the council many times and hassle the planning people and provide many diagrams but ours did. Rachel kept us from losing it. She goes above and
beyond.
When it was finally all approved 8 months later the build was a flawless project delivered on the promised date.
If you build with SJD ask for James to be your supervisor. He is thorough to the extreme. I called in to inspect the plasterwork when he was there one day. One long cornice looked straight from one angle and warped from another. "James does that look straight to you?" Well he had already looked at it and told me it wasn't good enough as he smashed it with a bit of framing timber! No compromise on quality, its right or do it again and you don't have to ask.
The proof of the pudding from a customer service point of view is how they treat you after you have handed over the last of the money. Inevitably there are minor things that no one notices until they are used. James told us when they would be fixed, and they were.
I cant recommend SJD highly enough. We love our home. Buy with confidence.

Oh, and worth mentioning, we signed our contract July 2014 and SJD honored that price without any attempt to raise it even though developer and council put the start back nearly 2 years.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Thank you SJD!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 24, 2017

Great team, starting with Tracey our sales consultant and continuing with Andy our supervisor. We would recommend SJD to others! Stay away from big, aggressive on advertising type building companies that seem too cheap to believe it as they cut down on quality and customer service. SJD have the quality, customer service, friendly team and expertise that you need when you build. They are not too big yet not too small. Having had bad experience with a previous builder, we tried to find a builder that was recommended by others and we found SJD ! Their tradesmen have been used over past few years and are looked after well by SJD which means good quality workmanship and reliability.
Keep up the good work SJD!

• 1 answer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2016

Dreams to Reality by SJD.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

We have been in our new SJD home for 3 months , to say we are pleased would be an understatement.
The product SDJ delivered to us is absolutely fabulous, Even our neighbors comment on the finish and quality of our property. We were apprehensive building a new home on hearing negative feedback relating to other builders, these concern quickly disappeared. The staff at SJD made us feel very comfortable, they explained everything in detail and were always happy to talk through any issue we had. From our first meeting with Rod to the day Andy han
ded us the keys we were extremely impressed with the professional and personal approach SJD have with their clients. We were not just a number , we now feel like part of the SJD family , in fact 2 of our children have also built with SJD and are also very happy.
The quality of the house is second to none, we looked at hundreds of display home, but we always came back to SJD. The tradesman employed by this company take pride in their work and deliver as desired and expected .
We would like to thank all the staff at SJD for turning our dreams into reality.
Special thanks to Rod and Andy, you 2 guys set the bar very high.
We would definitely recommend SJD

Cheers,
Mick & Helen Tulliallan Estate.

• 2 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2016

They won't disappoint...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2017

By the time I got to SJD Homes, I was on to my third builder. The first builder, I changed my mind (that was on me). The second builder went into liquidation and I lost my deposit (that was on them). So, it was back to the drawing board for me, which meant more in-depth research. I’d read all the reviews for all of the builders in Victoria and noted that SJD Homes seemed to stand out from the rest – so I went to see their display homes in the Timbertop estate, in Officer. When I walked into the Stanford display and saw that great open space in the living area, I was hooked. I had been to many display homes and, though there were many oohs and ahhs over aspects of each house, there was no feeling of “this is home”. Until now. The Stanford display was built to a very high standard with quality finishes and it was decorated in a warm and homely manner. And, the 12 foot high ceilings in the living space were simply stunning and, ultimately, the deciding factor for me. I was looking for a home that was different from all the rest – unassuming from the front, with that ‘Pow!’ factor once inside - and this was it.

Now I had to figure out if I could afford it. As I was building on my own and, thus, had to rely on one income and my own savings, I had to be realistic with my future home. I knew I was not going to get everything I wanted in this house, but I was, at least, hoping for some goodies. So, I went in to the display office and spoke to the consultant there, Rachel, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that, not only could I afford the house, but I could also add some of those luxury inclusions I was hoping for. And SJD Homes’ inclusions packages are quite impressive. Rachel was open and honest about everything, particularly over what was included in the price and what wasn’t. Plus, she confirmed that I could modify the floorplan to suit my needs (within reason), which was fantastic. I felt confident that building with SJD Homes was the way to go.
The start off was a bit slow and that was due to the Council messing us around with planning permits and the block of land I’d bought not being properly pegged. Rachel went above and beyond to resolve these issues and I can’t thank her enough. She was in constant contact, updating me every step of the way.

Once the build started, it was very exciting to watch. From the first cut, to the slab going down, to the framing going up and beyond, I eagerly watched my house take shape. The building supervisor assigned to me, Travis, was great. He was in regular contact, updating me at each stage of the build, even supplying pictures of progress. There were a few hiccups – the render colour I have chosen for the front of the house was not available and the dishwasher I’d picked was out of stock – but Travis was on to them straight away and they were resolved relatively quickly.

The build started on 8 March 2016 and handover was 23 September 2016 – so, just over 6 months for completion. However, taking into account that the build started during winter, the other above-mentioned hiccups and the fact that Travis waited for some of his preferred tradies to become available to work on my house (that was a nice touch, as I’d rather have a perfectionist supervisor, than a blasé one), the house was definitely worth the wait. Travis and his merry band of tradies have done a fantastic job with the house and I couldn’t be happier. Everything works as it should and the house looks amazing. There were even a few bonus upgrades thrown in for free, which was a nice surprise (thanks, Rach!). There was also a pretty impressive welcome basket given to me at handover as well, which I had not been expecting.

There were a couple of issues raised during the final inspection the week before completion and, at handover, the majority of these had been rectified. During the first week of moving in, there was a leak in the ensuite vanities and Travis was onto that straightaway - the plumber was back in only a couple of days to fix it.

It has now been just over three months since I moved in and time to fill out the maintenance sheet for issues to be fixed. I’m pleased to confirm that, of the 20 or so matters listed, the majority of them are minor, cosmetic fixes, which I’m sure Travis will resolve quite quickly.

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience building with SJD Homes. Their workmanship is outstanding and their staff, particularly Rachel and Travis, are professional, extremely capable, willing to go the extra mile and take pride in their work. The only area for improvement I would note, from my experience, is that there could have been more proactive follow up on issues that were raised during the build, as there were times when I had to chase up these matters myself. However, this is a very minor point and, in no way, affects their performance.

I would highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone looking to build their first, next or dream home.

• 1 question
  • 3 answers

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

We couldn't be happier!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2016

We have just finished building the Hamish with SJD homes and we couldn't be happier. The build from start to finish has been a wonderful experience. With a sloping block and astronomical site cost quotes from many other builders, we were contemplating selling our block of land, but then we spoke to Leigh at the SJD display in Berwick Waters. Leigh assured us SJD could bring the site costs in much lower than we had been quoted and he was right, in fact in some cases they were half of what other builders had quoted. Shane was our foreman and his attention to detail and customer service could not be faulted. He regularly updated us on every aspect of the build and every new stage by text, email or phone. No question was too silly and no query went unanswered. When I realised I had chosen a solid door for the laundry instead of a half glass one, it was quickly sorted no stress, no fuss and at no extra cost to us. During the walk through at the end, Shane was meticulous in marking any small imperfections in the finish (many of which we hadn't even noticed!) and they were all corrected before hand over. The build took only 4 months despite weather delays and we are extremely happy with the quality and standard of the finished product. As this is an investment home, Shane gave us the option of withholding the instillation of the appliances until a day or two before our tenants moved in which was great, no stress about appliances being stolen. Despite only being given 3 days’ notice, Shane was still able to get all appliances in before our tenants moved in and as the oven we were supposed to get couldn’t be sourced at such short notice, we got an up graded oven that was in stock at no extra cost, amazing! Shane explained so much about what they were doing and why throughout the build, that I really learnt a lot from this and this is knowledge I will take into my next build which is invaluable. Our property manager remarked how great Shane had been to work with in getting access to the property and she absolutely loved the house design and finishes. In fact the house was tenanted within 2 weeks of completion. The landscaper Brad was also delightful to work with and has done a great job finishing off the whole front and back yards. We've been recommending SJD to all our family and friends and can't wait to build a home with them for our own family to live in!
Rod and Jenny

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Amazing Builder and Fantastic Support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2016

We have just moved into our new home about a week ago and couldn't be happier with the end product, The workmanship and quality finishes are amazing and off high standard.
From the moment we walked into the Display centre we were made to feel at home by Michael our consultant, for being a new member of the SJD he display such an amazing knowledge of the product and was able to ease my concerns with every turn, Michaels customer service is the best I have seen in a long time. Once building had started we were allocated Paul as our supervisor
, the support from Paul and everyone at SJD Head office made you feel more than just a number, you are made to feel part of the family.
We were updated weekly on the progress of our build from Paul, and Paul addressed all of my concerns and stresses with ease and I wasn't made to feel like an idiot.
Handover was easy carefree, we were given all the details and told that the support doesn't stop because the keys are handed over, we will get a visit in 3 months and I have already had my supervisor come round and address one I have.
Thankyou SJD Homes for an amazing House and making building my first home as stress free as possible. Big thanks to Michael and Paul for everything.

Highly Recommend SJD Homes for your first home, your next home or even an investment property.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2016

Fantastic builder!! Couldn't thank them enough, very pleased with our new home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2016

Right from the start, as most can imagine building a first home can be quite nerveracking yet exciting at the same time. We went in hopeful with SJD Homes that everything would go to plan, with no major issues, no major unexpected additional costs or anything, which we’re glad now to say it did go to plan.

From the quotation stage with the team at the sales office including past employee Greg, and then taken over by Rod, it was a pleasure working with both employees to get the quote and plan exactly how we wanted it. We were given plenty id
eas for our plan, ways in which we could modify/make it better.

Many builders didn’t allow us to modify the floor plan, so we were very excited to hear when SJD Homes could assist with our ideas and make them come to a reality. We had built the Hamish however modified it to be very similar to the Loxton layout, extending our house to make a bigger kitchen/living space etc, and adding our own ideas.

Rod helped us throughout the entire process right from start to finish, and we couldn’t thank him enough for all his hard work and effort into finalising everything for our new home.

We began our build around late Feb- March 2016 and have moved in since late August 2016 at Grandvue Estate in Officer.

Meeting Paul (our supervisor) was a delight, we heard stories from friends and family about difficult supervisors they have encountered , so we were pleased to have Paul on board with supervising with our build.

Paul was very professional and friendly and pleasure to work with. He had always contacted us to give us an update on how our home was travelling every time something new was occurring– this was amazing as we were very exciting to know where everything was at.

Anything that didn’t go to exactly to plan (minor issues such as pantry cabinetry installed incorrectly/chosen floors discontinued/missing powerpoints etc) Paul was on top of it all and arranged for contractors to fix it in a timely manner to help avoid delay.

As soon as we moved in we had an issue with our heater not working (first night) Paul was onto it the next day and we had it repaired in no time.

I would highly recommend Paul as a supervisor to anyone beginning to build a home and we couldn’t thank him enough!

Communication was also great, with all departments including accounts corresponding back in a timely manner.

We would highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone seeking to find a great builder. Our costs were always kept within our budget, and overrall didn't have any issues whatsoever.

Ilona + Nick

Pakenham

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2016

Excellent quality home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2016

Building with SJD Homes was a breeze from start to finish. Neville and Rod were wonderful to work with and helped us design a home that suits our needs perfectly. Nothing was too much trouble for the SJD team and they were more than happy to answer all the questions we had as first home buyers. All costs were upfront and there weren't any hidden fees along the way- what you see is what you get. Our site manager Aaron was fantastic throughout the whole process, contacting us multiple times each week for the entire 4 and a half month build proces s. We received regular phone calls and emails with photo updates, as well as walk throughs with Aaron to check the build process. We have now been in our new home for 10 weeks and we are so glad we built with SJD. The workmanship is excellent and of a very high standard. We would without a doubt build with SJD again in the future and would recommend them to anyone wanting to build in the South East of Melbourne.

Extremely happy people

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2016

Building with SJD was an amazing experience. Shane Quinlan and the team couldn't have been more obliging. The workmanship is very good, especially the tiling. Shane managed our build with expertise, "thanks Shane"! We have been in our house 6+ months now and we would and have, recommended SJD to many friends. Even the office staff have been accommodating. And to top that, they gave us a lovely house warming pack full of beautiful things. This was the icing on the cake, thank you so much. We love love love our home. Margie and Gary Redfern

Building made so easy!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2016

I have been in my SJD home for 3 months now - it is amazing!!! Not only was the building process smooth they went out of the way to ensure that I knew what was happening at every stage. All my issues and concerns were addressed in a timely manner and I had none of the horror stories others have that build to tell at the end. The workmanship is of an extremely high quality and everyone who comes through comments on this. I have had a couple of teething issues since moving in and these have been fixed the same day with no questions asked. After build service is just as good as during the build. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending SJD to anyone! Big thanks to Andy and the rest of the team for ensuring I got the home of my dreams!!!!!

Excellent service and quality - Love our home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2016

We built our home with SJD over a year ago and could not have been happier with the service from start to finish. Our sales representative Rod was amazingly knowledgably, efficient and took care of the process until build time. Our supervisor Shane was so easy to deal with and had great attention to detail. We were that impressed that we are building our investment property with them now (lock up stage). I have dealt with a number of builders over the years and these two houses with SJD has been by far the best experience by a long way. I would not hesitate to build with SJD as they are the best in the business!

Officer

Very Impressed with SJD Homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2016

I was extremely happy with the whole processing in building my forever home. Rod was great in stepping me through the sales process and contract details. Nothing was a problem and all my queries were answered very promptly. Andrew then took over the supervision of the build and he was just amazing. One of the easiest persons to deal with. Absolutely nothing was a problem for him and he kept me up to date at all times. One hiccup we had was dealt with very quickly and to both mine and their satisfaction. I would highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone thinking of building.

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Perfection in our dream home for retirement

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2016

SJD used first class tradespeople during the building phase delivering us a custom built home accommodating our special needs. The project was well ahead of contract and within budget. From the first appointment with Sales rep Rachel Vanderzee to the handover with Shane Quinlan the whole process was first class. We would like to thank the SJD team for a job well done.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Love our new home

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2016

We have just moved into our new home and were extremely impressed with SJD Homes. Thank you to all staff at SJD during the building process and for building us such a wonderful and fantastic home. SJD are very honest and upfront about all building aspects including costs.

We couldn’t have asked for a better Sales Manager in Rod and a Site Supervisor in Shane. Both were exceptional, very obliging and only a phone call away if we had any questions. This made it a stress free and easy process
The building process was seamless and our home was completed in five months, much earlier than anticipated

• 2 helpful votes

Love our Down Size

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2016

Our first time build experience was a positive and seamless journey. We couldn't thank Rachel and Shane enough for their professionalism, customer service and their willingness to always take that extra step to meet every need. The final result is a beautiful house that is our dream fulfilled. From our experience we believe that SJD stands for Simply Just Delightful.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes