M

• 1 comment

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2018

We hate living in our home!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

We have not enjoyed living in our house for one day, because there has been constant issues with our build.

We got sucked into building with SJD homes because of reading all it's so called good reviews, but when you think about it there's only 55 reviews in total and I suspect a lot of those must be family and friends who have built with SJD Homes.

Our SJD rep promised us everything, but SJD homes delivered a very poorly built single storey house which cost us over $400,000.

Be warned SJD homes does not build quality homes. Do not chose SJD home to build your dream home. They just slap up cheaply made houses for investors as rentals. They have rude lazy supervisors who do not visit your site very often and just let their unsupervised tradesman do a very poor job constructing your house. The tradesmen did not have up to date plans and also advised us that they rarely saw our site supervisor on site.

I've had to contact SJD homes twice a week for 4 months to get things finished.
We've had painters, cabinet makers, plumbers, electricians, tilers, carpenters, flooring companies, air conditioning companies, water tank companies, the list goes on and on, all trying to fix our shockingly built SJD home.
We have barely had a day where a tradie hasn't been at our our house repairing SJD stufff ups.
Even now after living in our house for 4 months there's still ongoing issues.

Our site was never secured, with temp fencing falling down and unlocked gates.
We had other builders from other companies using our electricity and water, to wash up there tools on our property, leaving there rubbish behind.

The rubbish that was left on our site after handover was disgusting SJD just cover all their rubbish with a layer of cheap soil.
I spent thousands of dollars to clean up our property after handover.
Our front and rear yards were left in a disgraceful manner, full of concrete, timber and rubbish.
SJD just put a small retaining wall and left our rear yard with a steep embankment which required us to pay for an additional 25mtr retaining wall.
They just did the minimum with everything.

Our concrete slab dimensions were incorrect and also poorly laid with a very rough surface finish in our garage, which needed to be recovered. Because of the wrong dimensions of our slab, our front porch area needed the concrete slab to be extended and even required our front timber posts to be re positioned, which were all done to a very poor standard with a rough uneven concrete finish and steel stirrups missing anchor bolts on our posts.
There were gaping holes under slab, and also stud framing and brick work over hanging our slab work in some areas.
SJD homes refused to fix these issues, even though they exceeded building regulations, and once again we were bullied into leaving it as is.

Our paintwork throughout our house is terrible, we chose white for our architraves, doors and skirting boards and they have turned yellow. SJD says that's what happens to the oil based enamel paint they use. And now they want us to pay to get our paint work re done.

The paint work on our walls was barely covered in one coat of paint and had to be re painted. Despite the original paint lacking coverage and being of awful quality, SJD only covered the costs for 1 coat of the better paint in the main living areas ONLY. We had to pay extra for a second coat with a better quality paint. They are still walls throughout our house with barely one coat on them, but we refuse to pay to have this fixed. Why should we have to pay!

Our frame looked like teenagers had gone off with a nail gun with nails protruding out everywhere,and missing nails where required, split timbers, crocked noggins and flimsy single stud framing around our doors and windows. Other builders use double or triple stud framing around doors and windows.

Our frame had incorrect walls and window sizes, because our carpenters were given the wrong plans from our site supervisor. When I contacted our site supervisor about these issues he reacted very rudely and angrily towards me.

From then on he continued to make our life a living hell, he argued against every mistake found, bullied us and dragged our construction time out as much as he could, months went past when nothing was done to our house, even after we had paid 90% of our total build cost which was over $400,000.

We were made to buy our oven two months before moving in just so they could measure the size of it because they did not believe us, in the end was the exact size they were told. We provided them with the spec sheet showing these measurements months prior to our build starting. Our oven then just sat in there office for months after we had paid for it and our warranty had started.

SJD cabinet makers WB cabinets just argued with me about the measurements for months and even on installation day they still got our kitchen cabinetry wrong and had to remove plaster behind our oven to fit out oven in.They just did not listen to us!
We are still waiting for WB cabinets to fit a panel in our pantry. We have contacted them directly several times to have this amended and to this day are still waiting to have it completed correctly.

SJD's plumbers were useless, incorrectly installing our gas cook top, which caused us to be without a cooktop to get in fitted correctly.

SJD's electricians from G & G electrical are hopeless, power points not wired or positioned correctly, they also installed our ceiling fans, when I checked the screws holding the fans up they were loose and wires fell out our junctions.

The Air conditioning company "Halliday's" which SJD use is useless, they did not wire up our very expensive A/C correctly and took weeks to fix. It is still not working correctly despite numerous phone calls to Hallidays.

SJD's site supervisor and management do not listen to your concerns, instead come up with some rubbish excuse, and try to convince you that "it will just fine", "don't worry about it"

I could go on and on about the constant issues we have been having and continue to go through.

I've even spoke to our neighbour who has unfortunately chosen to be build with SJD homes, who is also not happy with SJD.

If your already committed to building with SJD Homes, get private inspections done at every stage.

At contract stage we were promised to be in before xmas, but due to our site supervisor stopping things getting done, we did not get in until late feb 2018

We were going to have private inspections done, but our site supervisor bullied us and advised if we used private inspections it would delay our build further and was quite upset that we did not trust him. We thought from reading SJD reviews it would be ok, and in the end it took the full contract time of 7 months anyway as there were nothing done for almost 2 months just to build a poorly constructed average size single storey house.

Then in the 2 weeks before handover there was a mad rush to quickly finish things off to a very poor standard, such as terrible paint work, fitting electrical appliances incorrectly, not wiring up our A/C correctly, not cleaning up the work site.

SJD's response to my recent facebook review is ridiculous and unbelievable.
For SJD homes to say they're sorry to hear we are unhappy with our build is insincere.
SJD have never shown any remorse or sympathy towards our horror build, just excuses and quick fixes.

They know all too well what a total disaster of a build our house has been due to there lack of communication on there part, poor workmanship and constant issues with our site supervisor, and there still other outstanding issues which SJD have been notified about many times.

Time will tell is they fix our yellowing paint issue at no cost to us.

Our other concern now, due to the poor concrete foundations and carpentry work, is what will happen next..

We do not recommend anyone building with SJD Homes,
Feel free to contact me for more information.

Comments
SJD Homes Official

Hi Mark, We are very sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with your experience with us building your custom home. We always endeavour to provide a positive experience for our customers with our servic... read more »

This is a typical builders reply, and is not correct. You are not sorry to hear we are unhappy with our building experience with SJD, as you have never apologised for the terrible building experien... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

12 Months In and we still love our SJD Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

12 months ago today (22/06/17) we picked up the keys to our new SJD Hamish designed Home. We decided to wait a whole year. To have that time to reflect on the process and the end result of building with SJD. Rather than get caught up in the small stuff as I’ve read from other passed posts from other builders reviews . We wanted to leave an honest and realistic view of our Journey from planning stage to Building stage to the end result and looking back over the last year.

Building a new home is a real challenge and can feel overwhelming at times but overall it was the best decision we ever made for our family to build with SJD

The planning process
Planning to contacts
SJD had a few minor hiccups that had to sorted out by Rod Sales Manager from an staff member that new to the industry. And a change in to our site costs but Once that was all sorted we were back on track. The Planning stage was all in the details -
SJD had by far the best option for upgrades and variety from shower heads to bathroom basins colour range and they didn’t try to rip us off in costs like we had from larger building firms that we had quoted from . Their Standard inclusion for our house we’re higher ceilings, larger architraves, 900mm oven. Higher grade quality carpet. Larger size tiles All included. Our colour selection meeting was very easy to follow and understand giving us the best choices to make to suit our needs and tastes.
other builders tried to charge us for inclusion in their quotes.

The Build process
Arron was our building supervisor very professional guy. Always emailed updates and call at each stage in the building process. We did call with questions along the way always Got back to us with answers can’t fault him in communication.
I like anyone building for the 1st time became a little obsessed to see where they were up to in building our house driving up to the house a couple of times a week, I could honestly say there were 9on site nearly 6 days a week for a majority of our 4.5month build.

The Result
We made the best decision to build with SJD. The quality of house for our budget truly work for our family. After 1 full year living in the house. We have settled right in to our home . No cracks No call backs for fault work. Nothing, nothing at all we have not had to call them once in the last 12 months for anything. That for us has been the best stress free feeling.
If you are considering SJD as your builder you have made a good choice and we didn’t Regret it.
Good luck with your build and we hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Fantastic Company to build a new HOME with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2018

Having dealt with SJD Homes with 2 Build recently, being our own build and our Son and Daughter-in -Laws. I have to say that their service is exemplary from start to after sales and handover support. Nothing is ever to much for their staff to assist you with. You are treated as a person and not a number. They are fully transparent with all dealings.
Our block was an irregular corner block that several builders and the developer said that we would have to build a 2 Storey on. When we spoke with SJD Homes Jean Morrison and Kevin Parson were able to design a beautiful SINGLE storey Home with 4 Bedrooms, 3 Living Areas, Butlers Pantry and extended Double Garage together with a sizeable garden/entertaining area. The storage space that Jean and Kevin where able to encompass in the design has been commented on by many of our friends, as unfortunately in this day and age a lot of properties lack storage space.
SJD’s range of standard inclusions is superior to that of other builders and is a big cost saving when it comes to choosing colours, tapware, floorings etc. This is very important when calculating the overall cost. Leah is very talented in assisting with Colour Selections, she listens to what you are trying to and then advises you on what will work in a very professional and consultative manner and never puts your down but directs you as to the best overall solution.
Our site supervisor Shane was on the ball throughout both builders and nothing was ever any trouble for him, even when we asked seemingly trivial questions we were treated with respect and dignity. He ensures that they deliver a quality, professional build on time.
We have been in our property for nearly a year, I have held off writing a review so as I can reflect on what the after hand over support is like and am happy to say that we have not had any major problems and the small ones that we have had have been quickly rectified.
We love our HOME and are so happy that we choose SJD Homes to build it for us as they made what is a scary process very simple. You hear so many horror stories, but I assure you SJD make the whole process simple and seamless.

Officer

• 3 helpful votes

The beginning of forever

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2018

Our block was a little complicated, a build that nearly didn’t happen until SJD homes put their hand up! From the moment we met with Tracey our building consultant, we knew we were in good hands! Things only got better from there when our site supervisor Shane was appointed to us. Shane never missed a beat! When we were told things were going to happen, they happened and even sometimes ahead of schedule. The communication Shane gave to us was exceptional, we were always in the know. Our Caversham split level is the most beautiful house which with the help of SJD homes we turned into a loving home. We have been in our home for 10 months and still walk around in awe that this magnificent home is ours! Our dream became a reality thanks to the team at SJD Homes. This is a home where we will raise our children and make so many memories. I highly recommend SJD Homes to anyone about to build. It will be a wonderful build with very personal attention to you whilst building. You will not be disappointed. Thanks Shane, Tracey and the whole team at SJD homes.

melbourne

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2017

quality product five stars all the way!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

I've decided to write this review based on my experience with SJD so here we go. Firstly It was very important for me to know what each builder offered in regards to size of house, layout and list of inclusions as well as knowing what the site costs were going to be for my block of land prior to signing any contract. It all started with me visiting about 150 display homes throughout Melbourne over a 3 month period and getting a feel for what each builder offered. What I can say is don't be fooled with display homes cause most builders ensure that their displays are of a high standard so when you walk in you feel like you're getting the same with your brand new build. Keep in mind I am one very fussy customer and I make sure that my research is done thoroughly before committing to anything. Also another good tip is to stay away from volume builders because at the end of the day your just a number.

Look for a small to medium builder and one that takes pride in the finished product. This is where SJD ticks all the boxes. For anyone looking to build please read this> Don't waste your time and money on other builders; SJD homes are by far the leaders in building you a quality home and I seriously mean that! Everyone who has been inside my house were complementing me on such a fantastic home as well as the finishing touches which were quite amazing. They thought it was just as good or if not better than a display home and that just goes to show you what type of product you get when the build is complete with SJD. Big thanks to the tradies; great job guys! and that's coming from one fussy customer. But the two most important people who really guided me through the process was Tracey my sales consultant and Andy my site supervisor. Firstly Tracey was an absolute pleasure and privilege to work with. She will go to great lengths to ensure everything is done properly as well as touching base with you regularly and seeing if everything is in the contract before signing away.

From memory I think I hold the record for SJD on revised plans and quotes. I kept changing and adding more things to my list of bells and whistles and boy was I happy I did. I must of revised my plans and quotes 13 or 14 times which indicates how fussy I really am; nonetheless Tracey was very patient and I honestly thank her for being patient throughout the whole process. Now secondly Andy my site supervisor this guy is an absolute legend! Andy ensured everything went to plan and each stage was completed on time and just like Tracey he was very patient in all the questions I asked him. There were times where he advised me on a few changes with the plans and I left it in he's hands cause I knew I had a professional looking after me. If I wasn't happy with something, Andy was onto it straight away. This guy doesn't muck around and gets things done straight away. In my view SJD are very lucky to have someone of Andy's calibre but also blessed to have a good team working for them. SJD thanks for such a beautiful home and to anyone looking for a builder, look no furthur SJD will definitely look after you. Big thumbs up guys............ Garth

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Very, very, very happy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 25, 2018

My wife and I searched almost every weekend for 2 years for a new home for our growing family! We couldn't find anything we liked and after almost giving up we stumbled across a beautiful block of land and decided overnight to build our dream home! Then the nervous search for a builder began. We've been through every display home in Melbourne's south east, spoke to every builder, talked with families that had built homes and started to narrow our focus down to three builders. After several visits to their display homes and several discussions with their helpful helpful staff we decided to go with SJD Homes. It's a decision we have never regretted either!
We had the pleasure of working really closely with our Sales Consultant Neville on a customised Rutherford design to suit our block. Neville was very knowledgeable and provided us with plenty of practical advice during the design process. In fact, with a mountain of decision changes and adjustments to the building design, we really test SJD's patience and they were fantastic the entire time!

Once we got through our design and contract process, we met our Site Supervisor, James. We are very fussy people, and we were glad to find that James was a perfectionist too! James made the building process easy, made all appointments, asked our advice on minor design challenges, fixed any building supply issues and was always calm and relaxed! As everyone knows the building process is stressful enough - but James was brilliant in turning our designs into reality. Most importantly, the finishes, workmanship and craft within the home has impressed all of our family and friends.

We have also been pleasantly surprised by SJD and James' after handover support. He's managed all questions without fuss and we feel like valued customers.

Suffice to say, we would build again tomorrow with SJD, with Neville as our sales consultant, and James as our site supervisor. Thank you guys for making our dream home a reality! We love it.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2018

10 STARS to our building consultant Tracey!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2018

From the moment we stepped in the door, we have had a seamless and enjoyable journey with SJD Homes. Our building consultant, Tracey, has been so accommodating to our specific needs and has gone above and beyond to truly make our dreams come true, providing great suggestions to really make the home 'our own'. Building our first home seemed scary at first, Tracey was happy to answer any question we had with her outstanding communication skills. Always clear and thorough information meant there was no surprises and little to none errors. Pricing was reasonable which left room for us to select upgrades and extras. Colour Selections was a breeze, their showroom had everything and Leah did an amazing job of helping us with selections. Today we have officially signed our building contracts and cannot wait to build our first home with SJD. Big thanks to Tracey for everything she has done.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

They don't just build houses.... they build homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

I have been in my new SJD home now for almost year and I have purposely not written this review until now. I didn't want the euphoria of moving in to the home to cloud my opinion on the quality of the build. I wanted to wait until the one year maintenance period was almost done to give an honest view. So what you get here is a very considered view. Sadly my circumstances changed during the initial period of searching for a house design as my partner passed away. I did my research and went along to SJD to consider options with them. After meeting SJD's sales consultant Tracey I realised that this is a company who genuinely cares about their customers. I had a particular design in mind and through the willingness and commitment from Tracey to work with me, we put two of their house designs together to create my home. Tracey even went over and above her role to research facades with me that they could adapt to suit. Of course anyone who has built a house knows that the quality of the actual build and its progress is down to the quality of the supervisor. I reckon I got the best. Knowing my circumstances and that I was doing it alone, Shane gave his commitment to guide me through the process and he did just that with kindness, advice and true professionalism (responding to enquiries, keeping things on track, being honest to help guide me). The finished product was just as I wanted it to be and the finish is fantastic. Yes I have had a few snagging problems which I defy any build not to have. What matters most though and I think this is the testament to a professional company - is that I felt heard, the problems were sorted quickly and to a high standard. I felt valued as the customer. I would recommend (and in fact have recommended) SJD to others. They don't just build houses, they build homes and that's the difference. In my case they kept their promise to do that for me and I am very grateful. Thank you SJD and in particular the wonderful Shane and Tracey.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Great Experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

We built our first investment property with SJD Homes recently and could not have asked for a better experience!

From the get go the whole process was easy and stress free. Nothing was too much to ask and everyone always willing to assist where they could.

The quality of the finishes and exceptional customer service will have us back again for our own home due to start early next year.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2017

If you are looking at building a family home with whatever budget you have, look no more as SJD homes will tick most if not all the boxes that you might be looking for. We built a modified Hamish in Keysborough to suit our block and the end product was surely value for money. This builder takes attention to detail and ultimately takes customer service to a whole new level. Forget about the so called big builders, SJD Homes will not disappoint you. Thank you to the SJD team for a wonderful experience.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2016

SJD delivered!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

For our second house build, we were looking to build a spectacular home on the 5 acres we'd previously bought. After looking at all the major builders and getting some great ideas, we were disappointed with the quality of their display homes in Officer.
We'd previously seen the SJD Homes display home and not thought much of it, but we went in to have a good look around. The first thing that hit us was the way they were put together very well and had a good list of inclusions for the price.
Over quite a few design meetings, we settled on what started off as a Ranchstyle house but became a totally custom design with everything we wanted; double glazing, extra insulation, higher ceilings, entertainers kitchen with butlers pantry, play room, parents retreat and full custom cabinetry throughout.
Our site supervisor Scott was always on hand to work with us and showed impressive patience on what was quite a detailed build. He drove through a 44 square house build in six months and the quality is fantastic.
When we have had any issues they've been dealt with straight away and fixed correctly.

We've had some local real estate agents through recently and the prices that they say we could sell for means it would be an easy and quick profit if we wanted to sell now.

I have recommended SJD to other friends and family and we wouldn't hesitate to build with them again.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Building with SJD Homes was a dream!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Building my new home with SJD homes was a dream! I was looking for a builder who could be flexible and deliver a quality product, both were provided by SJD homes. Not only are their houses beautiful but their approach to the building process stood out above all the other companies. A quality product on display and approachable friendly staff who take pride in giving you the very best. From the very beginning, when I met my sales consultant Lee, everything was possible. I fell in love with the Grande, with just a few changes to suit my needs, Lee made the entire process fun. I never thought I'd sit and laugh so much as we went about getting the plans just right. Nothing was a problem and regardless of how busy he was, Lee always made the time to discuss any requests and ideas. His wealth of knowledge of the design process meant that the final plans were exactly as I had envisioned. As my time of planning came to an end, the time to build began. It was at this point that I met my wonderful site supervisor Andy. Precision and professionalism high on the list of wonderful qualities he possesses, Andy is the man you want to be leading the charge in building your home. Once again, nothing was a problem, communication was free flowing and clear and his uncompromising integrity made him shine. With the complex coordination required to get the job done, Andy handled everything with grace and a highly sort after professional approach. His drive to ensure the house delivered was a perfect home made the process of building that much more enjoyable.

Officer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

Amazing journey, thanks SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

From the first time we spoke to Tracey, our sales consultant, we knew we would get everything we wanted and more. After originally signing up with a larger volume builder, we always found ourselves questioning our choice, thinking we "love the SJD home but can we get it modified to fit our block and in our price range?", well if you want a builder to meet your expectations and more have a talk to SJD. Every question and request was met with a quick positive response and Tracey went above and beyond what was expected of her, a real professional. we felt comfortable all through the design and contract stages and then when the build started we got an absolute legend of a site supervisor in Paul. He kept us up to date and made improvements on what we already thought was a perfect home. There was no bad time to speak to him and he was always positive and understanding. Like Tracey,Paul went out of his way to make our home perfect. We would not hesitate to recommend SJD, from the 12ft ceilings, to amazing kitchen, theatre and bar and so much more. Just so many choices. We couldn't be happier and can't thank SJD homes enough. We have since recommended our parents to build with SJD homes and they have recently completed there home and love it as well. We are so proud.
Thanks again

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

The force will be with you if you build with SJD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away our story began we were to meet Princess Leah (Rachelle) Darth Vadar (Rod) and late in 2016 Luke Skywalker ( Andy) would cross our paths and little did we know how lucky we were.
You like us will be reading these 42 reviews thinking they can't be this good, well let us tell you they are! Our experience with SJD has been the same as all the reviews below and we like them are so grateful to their marvellous team for making our dream come true.
As Obi One Kanobi said in A New Hope ' the force will be with you always if you build with SJD' and he was right.
Thanks SJD we will be forever grateful, catch up soon.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2016

Wonderful builder! Anything we needed help with was done.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

We built with SJD last year and we are so happy we did! From the very beginning nothing was too hard and any question we had was answered promptly. Our site manager Shane made what could have been a stressful build easy. His professionalism and willingness to help went above and beyond. I would definitely consider building with SJD again!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

They will build you a home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2017

Anyone looking to build your dream home, you have found your builder.
For us it all begun at the sales stage. No nasty traps, just genuine words.
Thanks Leigh for being so patient with us. I think we went to the display home over 20 times. Changed the quote 6 times changed the plans so many times and yet nothing was ever an issue and Leigh was more than happy to help.
Then the build stage. Wow!
Shane was absolutely brilliant! Not just because the quality of the finishes were amazing but how he takes ownership of the process and treats you with such kindness and understanding.
It's not everyday you build your dream home and he is understanding of that.
Thanks Shane!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Can't go wrong with SJD!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2017

We were on the point of selling our lot of land when we met Rachel from SJD. After cancelling a contract with one of the major builders who promised us everything we wanted to hear before signing the contract and then advised in an email that the changes we had asked for could not be done, after seeing other five builders who for various reasons we didn't like or trust, we were seriously thinking about giving up. We didn't think we can find a builder to build our custom designed home within our budget. But luckily Rachel proved us wrong! The inclusions were just unbelievable compared to what the other builders had to offer. We got Shane as our site supervisor and we are very happy with the outcome. Started building in August and we were in the house before Christmas, just as Shane promised. That will be a Christmas we will never forget! To be honest, not everything went as planned, but any unexpected issue was handled in a timely and professional manner. When the windows supplier repeatedly failed to replace a few of our windows (that were supposed to be double glazed and they were not), Shane brought in a third party to do the job, so the windows were replaced before we moved in. Also, there were things that went wrong even after hand over, like the hot water system that stopped working twice, but Shane has contacted the supplier and the plumbing company, and our solar water system was replaced the very next day. Communication was also very good, Shane always got back to us and didn't make us feel like we were a nuisance and most of all we were never treated like we were just a number, or just one of the thousands of customers. Both Rachel and Shane treated us in a way that made us feel that our dream house to be perfect was not only important to us but to them as well. The workmanship is of high quality, and this is not just our opinion but the opinion of every single person who came to see the house while and after being built. The only thing I would change is the paint. The painting job is not that great and the paint used in not washable. But that is probably our fault for not thinking about asking the right questions.
To cut a long story short .... if we will ever decide to build again, we will definitely chose SJD as our builder, no doubt about that.
Thank you SJD, especially Rachel and Shane!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2017

Well worth the wait

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

This could have been a nightmare but Rachel saved us. We bought our sloping block and then found our home builder. Have you ever heard of a significant landscape overlay? No, we hadn't either but after almost a year overdue the developer titled our land and because of the significant landscape overlay the council wouldn't approve our plans.
I don't know if your building consultant is supposed to visit the council many times and hassle the planning people and provide many diagrams but ours did. Rachel kept us from losing it. She goes above and beyond.
When it was finally all approved 8 months later the build was a flawless project delivered on the promised date.
If you build with SJD ask for James to be your supervisor. He is thorough to the extreme. I called in to inspect the plasterwork when he was there one day. One long cornice looked straight from one angle and warped from another. "James does that look straight to you?" Well he had already looked at it and told me it wasn't good enough as he smashed it with a bit of framing timber! No compromise on quality, its right or do it again and you don't have to ask.
The proof of the pudding from a customer service point of view is how they treat you after you have handed over the last of the money. Inevitably there are minor things that no one notices until they are used. James told us when they would be fixed, and they were.
I cant recommend SJD highly enough. We love our home. Buy with confidence.

Oh, and worth mentioning, we signed our contract July 2014 and SJD honored that price without any attempt to raise it even though developer and council put the start back nearly 2 years.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Thank you SJD!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 24, 2017

Great team, starting with Tracey our sales consultant and continuing with Andy our supervisor. We would recommend SJD to others! Stay away from big, aggressive on advertising type building companies that seem too cheap to believe it as they cut down on quality and customer service. SJD have the quality, customer service, friendly team and expertise that you need when you build. They are not too big yet not too small. Having had bad experience with a previous builder, we tried to find a builder that was recommended by others and we found SJD ! Their tradesmen have been used over past few years and are looked after well by SJD which means good quality workmanship and reliability.
Keep up the good work SJD!

• 1 answer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2016

Dreams to Reality by SJD.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

We have been in our new SJD home for 3 months , to say we are pleased would be an understatement.
The product SDJ delivered to us is absolutely fabulous, Even our neighbors comment on the finish and quality of our property. We were apprehensive building a new home on hearing negative feedback relating to other builders, these concern quickly disappeared. The staff at SJD made us feel very comfortable, they explained everything in detail and were always happy to talk through any issue we had. From our first meeting with Rod to the day Andy handed us the keys we were extremely impressed with the professional and personal approach SJD have with their clients. We were not just a number , we now feel like part of the SJD family , in fact 2 of our children have also built with SJD and are also very happy.
The quality of the house is second to none, we looked at hundreds of display home, but we always came back to SJD. The tradesman employed by this company take pride in their work and deliver as desired and expected .
We would like to thank all the staff at SJD for turning our dreams into reality.
Special thanks to Rod and Andy, you 2 guys set the bar very high.
We would definitely recommend SJD

Cheers,
Mick & Helen Tulliallan Estate.

1 of 3 pages