Very Happy, Made our First Build a Positive Experiance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

Right from the start Smart Homes were Fantastic to deal with, Our Senior Sales Representative made the whole process very easy to understand, was a great help with making our home fit into our very strict budget, but to get the best for our money and the key important features that were important to us built in, plus a whole lot more than we thought we could have, without loss of quality.
Everything was presented to us in a very easy to understand manner and in a very professional way, and they were very happy to answer any questions or queries that we had right from the start to the end.
The Build managers were fantastic keeping us informed regularly on progress and the next step that would happen with our build, and were on site almost daily to check every step of the build.
The builders themselves were very polite and happy and I was surprised but very happy with how clean they left our build site every day and the respect that everyone show our property. There attention to detail and quality of their work was higher than we thought we would get, big thumbs up to the build crew, painters and fit out crew.
The office staff were all very helpful and always answered any calls made, the one thing that was a little frustrating but we do understand that we had a couple of changes to office contacts, but that was due to ill health, which was not something anyone can control.
The whole team made us feel very comfortable and confident, and followed through with everything they said they would. Would and have recommended them to others thinking of building a home.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2017

Awesome service from beginning to completion !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

An extremely pleasant experience all round, from the customer service we received from our sales consultant all the way through to prestart and our project manager. We do not have one complaint and would highly recommend Smart Homes to anyone looking to build an affordable, quality home. The building process was completed in a very reasonable time and we were kept up-to-date with the progress the whole way along, each and every representative that we dealt with along the way was both professional and helpful.

Lakelands

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2017

We are very happy with our new home

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

We gave Smart Homes for Living four stars. This review spans our entire experience with Smart Homes for Living however the biggest summary we can give is that we are very happy with the home Smart Homes for Living built us and we would certainly consider Smart Homes for Living if we were to build again. Our home was an affordable home and we don’t come away from the experience feeling ripped off in any way. The products used seem of good quality and the workmanship of the trades all seems of good quality.

We visited many display homes and met many builders prior to setting on Smart Homes for Living. We decided to go with Smart Homes for Living based on reviews, their inclusions, extras and offers at the time, and the home designs on offer.

We will refer to various stages in the building process below. For ourselves and Smart Homes for Living, the stages flowed from one to the next as follows. From first contact, we worked towards the signing of the pre-works contract selecting a house plan and making modifications to it. Having signed the pre-works contract and paid a deposit, we then worked towards signing the big contract. Here we mostly made modifications to the base home design. Following signing the big contract stage, we entered the pre-start stage where we made selections for bricks, tiles, taps, and so on, and. Following pre-start, Smart Homes for Living worked towards the scheduling seeking council approvals and so on and then preparing for the build. The build proceeded through several distinct stages but ultimately came to the handover stage and then entered a post-handover stage where any maintenance items were addressed.

We met our sales representative in a display home in Golden Bay and he stayed with us through to the beginning of pre-start. He was mostly very professional and generally very responsive to email and phone contact. Of particular note, while we were required to travel from Mandurah to Osbourne Park, he would meet with us outside business hours.

Prior to starting with Smart Homes for Living, some other builders had told us we could not modify plans. Our Smart Homes for Living sales representative was very accommodating with our requests to modify the base plan and leading up to the big contract, we exchanged a hundred odd emails, though towards the end we felt his patience beginning to fade.

Smart Homes for Living always left us with the latest documentation. This included varied contractual documentation and updated drawings.

Our sales representative, and indeed Smart Homes for Living, was generally very good at providing drawings and documents. One disappointment however was we were not allowed to see elevations and contracts prior to the day of sitting down to sign them. We arrived for the meeting and we were faced with many pages of contract paperwork and we saw our elevations for the first time. It was quite clear that our sales representative wanted the deal closed there and then but we advised him we would be reviewing everything first. It was quite an intense day of reading, but as it turned out, we had done enough work already to have only to make a few small changes and were able to sign the big contract at the close of the day.

Another positive aspect is that Smart Homes for Living didn’t have any non-disparagement clauses in the big contact. We had read that some builders had non-disparagement clauses in their contracts and we were nervous as we hadn’t given a sample big contract to check prior to the pre-works contract stage and our first deposit and had done much work leading up to the big contract. Fortunately there were no non-disparagement clauses in the big contact.

Leading up to the big contract, many things were deferred to pre-start however pre-start always remained a fuzzy, unknown thing out in the distance and in particularly following the signing of the big contract. With many things being deferred to pre-start, we began to wonder about the costs we might discover in pre-start. We asked for a list of pre-start items and in particular the costs but were denied this information. We were given the opportunity to wander through the pre-start showroom unaccompanied but only a fraction of the products had price information. As it turned out, Smart Homes for Living pre-start item costs were very reasonable. We had heard of other builders stinging their clients at pre-start but we did not get this feeling whatsoever from Smart Homes for Living.

Our pre-start meeting was beautifully structured. We were given a folder full of brick types, paint colours, and so on but were never quite clear on how things would proceed during pre-start. It would have been nice to have the structured document used by Smart Homes for Living to work through prior to attending pre-start. The pre-start was very complete and the pre-start showroom was not missing any possible selection. Another positive aspect of pre-start were that the costs were calculated immediately giving us an immediate feel of where we could upgrade and where we needed to accept what was provided. We found visiting some of the Smart Homes for Living display homes to be very beneficial prior to our pre-start meeting as we were able to say, for example, that we would like the same laminated kitchen cupboards and stone bench tops as used in the Golden Bay display home.

Smart Homes for Living largely handled the work between pre-start and building commencing and we were kept somewhat informed about the state of the project during this time. Something that was particularly frustrating was that after the this period of about two months, two business days before the footings pour, we were told to remove several panels of our neighbour’s fence - a neighbour we hadn’t even yet met. Contractually, it was our responsibly to handle the removal of any fencing but with two business days notice after two months of time to plan was poor at best.

Eventually the building began and largely proceeded very well. The build schedule was very sensible - not so slack that the build dragged on nor was it so tight that the trades had to rush and compromise a good job. We visited our site most evenings and were very happy with each and every trade used, their workmanship.

The only issue during the build was that the bricks delivered differed in texture to what we had selected in pre-start. We sourced a separate sample from the brick maker and found it to be the same which meant the pre-start sample wasn’t truly representative of the current design. There were sections of the contract that advised colour and texture were subject to change so after a short fight, we could see our fight was go nowhere and with the possibility of being invoiced for delaying the project, we felt we had to drop the matter.

We were very happy with the bricklaying, windows, and door framing. We were very happy with the roofing. We were very happy with the services work and the float and set which covered. We were very happy with the ceiling and cornice work. We were very happy with our cabinetry and bench tops. We were very happy with our tiling. We were very happy with our carpeting. We were very happy with our painting. We were very happy with our taps and showers and basins and cooktops, and so on. Really, we couldn’t reasonably fault anything construction with the build.

A disappointment during the build however was that on several occasions, documents would turn up in our letterbox, sent to us without notice, advising that Smart Homes for Living had changed something and to agree, sign and return the documents within 48 hours. Things were changed with no reason given and often the description required a fair bit of work to figure out exactly what was being changed. As it turned out, the changes did make sense, but the process of communication them could have been much better.

Perhaps a good indicator of a good build was how few issues we found prior to handover. We picked up more issues than our builder but I suppose it is in our interest to. All of the issues were promptly addressed and remedied before handover.

As it turned out, Smart Homes for Living overestimated the site works which meant we received a credit just before handover. We had heard other builders underestimate the costs and suddenly clients are faced with a bill of several thousand dollars that isn’t under the umbrella of the home loan but to the credit of Smart Homes for Living they had the difficult conversation that increased the cost at the start with this pleasant surprise to greet us just before handover.

On handover, we received a nicely structured handover pack with maintenance suggestions, things we needed to do such as being mindful of disturbing termite protections, and so on.

We had a couple of issues following handover but nothing major. There were a couple of leaks, a couple of tight door locks, and one of the air conditioning ducts had fallen from the roof structure, tearing away from the air flow distribution unit. As with the issues found prior to handover, they were all promptly addressed.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Warren, Thank you for your detailed review! We're wrapped to hear you're happy with your beautiful new home! Thank you for pointing out some areas for improvement, our team will certainly ta... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2017

Highly recommend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2018

Building with Damian and the team at smart homes for living was awesome. Everything was made easy and stress free! They were there to help at all times and happy to answer every question possible.
The quality of the build was great, they finished the build ahead of schedule and made any changes I wanted with ease.
I would highly recommend building through Damian and the smart homes for living team, as I would use them again if I were to build another.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Good morning Dwayne,
Thank you for you review, the team will really appreciate the feedback! From the entire team, we wish you many years of happiness in your beautiful new Smart home! Have a great day!
Kind regards,
Smart Online Team.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2018

Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Leon and the team have made building a house an absolute pleasure, as a single lady I had the most horrendous experience with another builder,
From the start the Smart home team have been transparent, helpful and patient. I have the thinnest block ever, narrowing to 6 metres so the design was a challenge and not once was I made to feel like a difficult customer, I would thoroughly recommend Leon and the team from Smart homes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Sharryn, Thank you for your lovely feedback, the entire team are chuffed. We're wrapped to hear your initial rocky journey turned out to be a positive experience with Smart! From the entire tea... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2018

UNBEATABLE VALUE!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND SMART HOMES!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

It all started with the initial consult with the sales rep in the Dayton display home (Leon) he made me feel comfortable with his level of expertise, he was upfront and honest (unlike other builders I met with), he drove me through the estate showing me and my family the different blocks available and explaining the difference between the blocks. He wasn't pushy and made us feel really comfortable.

Smart homes even managed to get me an even cheaper price on the land I wanted which wasn't possible anywhere else!! The design options that I was presented all suited my lifestyle really well (accept for one), with a few minor changes they were able to create the perfect design for me! The price was cheaper than most builders I had looked at and the quote had so many more inclusions than anywhere else!! I really couldn't go past the value!! Pre build went really quick, all departments were great and easy to deal with. Sarah from Prestart was really friendly and super efficient!! She also provided great advice, I got the impression that she really cared about me as a customer! I signed up in May and my slab has already been laid!! Super excited to see my finished home! I can't wait!! Thank you soo much Smart Homes!! I will be referring all my family and friends to you!!!

Adrian

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Adrian, thank you for your amazing feedback! We will pass on your praise onto the team, I'm sure it'll make their day! We hope the rest of the building journey is an enjoyable one, and we're su... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2017

Building a house is so easy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

Smart Homes made building a first home an absolute pleasure. From my first call and interaction with Gordon I knew I wanted to build with him as my sales consultant, that is how great he was throughout the entire process. Through the difficulties of picking finishes at prestart with Sarah, all the way through to Amy handing over our keys, the entire experience was just so easy and enjoyable.

Huge thank you to Gordon, Josh, Sarah, Amy and the entire Smart Homes team for being so fantastic and giving my partner and I an amazing home that we can be proud of!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Jake, thank you for your lovely message! We will pass on the kind words to the entire team, I'm sure they will be chuffed! On behalf of the entire team, we hope you create many amazing memories ... read more »

COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2017

We just picked up our keys to our new home and we are so excited. The home that we chose was designed specifically for our block, it is cottage style but it's 581sqm and we just couldn't find a home that would suit it with a rear garage so the sales consultant asked what we wanted and came up with a design to suit it and there isn't anything I would change. From the initial consultation right through to the final inspection was a breeze. Our prestart consultant knew what she was doing and made what could have been a very overwhelming experience, a lot of fun. The whole process went so quick and smoothly and everyone we dealt with were so friendly and helpful.
I highly recommend Smart homes for living to anyone who is looking at building!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Jaye, thank you for your kind words! What a great way to start a Friday morning! We're wrapped to hear your journey with Smart was a great one! On behalf of the entire Smart team, we wish you m... read more »

Dunsborough, WA

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2017

Great customer service and stress free built

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2017

I recommend smart homes to most of my friends when I hear them talking about building their new home. Loved the floor plan that we chose. Was a beautiful journey from starting to end in building our very first home and just because of such a great support from the entire team and they were always there to answer our queries. I especially want to thanks Claire Oakes for being so patient with us and all your guidance and support.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Gagan, thank you for sharing your building experience, we're chuffed to hear your feedback! From the entire Southwest and Metro team, we wish you many years of joy in your beautiful new home! Kind regards, Smart Online Team.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jan 2017

stressfree built

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

right from the very first contact point, Tina Dagostino was very warm & welcoming. in fact that was the first time we actually engaged with a home sales consultant whose personality drawn us to her. we fell in love with the house plan at first sight & Tina did minor changes to the plan to what we wanted, which was perfect. overall, a very pleasant experience throughout the built with excellent service from the pre start, Kira-Lee Westbrook who also went out her way looking out for some products that we wanted. Client Liason, Deirdre Sherwood & onsite supervisor Tony was very prompt & efficient to provide updates of the built which was completed on scheduled. it was finished to a high standard & definitely will be happy to recommend Smart Homes to anyone who is looking to build.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Hariani, thank you for your amazing feedback! We're chuffed to hear your experience was so great. We will pass on your kind words to the team, it will make their day! On behalf of the entire Sm... read more »

Bunbury

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Excellent Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2017

I can recommend Smart home to who is looking for a new house to build, Organised way, no hassle, proper communication, just a call away and inquiry sorted, talking to the sales consultant Claire to getting the final product was so easy,When thinking to build thought will be tough to build, but they made it easy.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Girish, thank you for your amazing feedback! We're happy to hear our team made the process enjoyable and easy! From the entire Metro and Southwest team, we wish you many years of joy in your new Smart Home! Kind regards, Smart Online Team.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

over the moon

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

I cant speak highly enough of the recent build with smart.We built in the south west,therefore dealing with the bunbury office.Claire our sales rep,the office staff & Troy the onsite supervisor were absolutely fantastic.It is quite obvious that they take great pride in their work,and it reflects in the final product. This is our 3rd build with smart,i cant imagine building with anyone else.As I say, i cant speak highly enough of the recent service we received

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Kim, thank you for sharing your experience with Smart Homes For Living! From the entire Southwest and Metro team, we wish you many years of joy in your beautiful new home! Have a great day, Smart Online Team.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

Extremely happy with end result.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

I had several builders contact me as I requested information from them. I ended up going with Smart Homes due to the personable nature of the sales consultant. From there everything ran smoothly, from picking design, purchase of block, prestart and finally handover. The site supervisor was great, explaining each process as the build progressed. The home was finished to a high standard and we would absolutely build again with Smart Homes.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Luke, thank you for sharing your building experience with Smart Homes For Living. The entire team appreciate your feedback, it's a great way to start the working week! We wish you many years of ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

Excellent Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

Excellent communication to get the process started. Very organised and systematic process. I would recommend Smart Homes to anyone who is looking for a new build. Workmanship within the house was excellent and the house was handed over clean and well built. I received the house earlier than the date proposed. Am very happy and visitors to my house were amazed. Thank you very much Smart homes.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Sanker, thank you for sharing your building experience with SMART. We're glad to hear you were happy with our systematised process and love the quality of your home. On behalf of the entire SMAR... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2017

Trouble Free Building Experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2017

Since the start of the application to the end of the build we have had nothing but great results in timely manor from Smart Homes. They catered to my needs being a time sensitive build and finished on time with quality workmanship. Planning the house was made easy and being able to alter the build to suit our individualism was a great experience, the team at Smart Homes weren't afraid to throw ideas in when they felt necessary.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi James T, thank you for sharing your experience with SMART! We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your building experience, we will pass on your lovely comment to the team! Enjoy your beautiful ho... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Problem Free Experience Throughout

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2017

Having built a new home before we had a good point of reference, not to say our previous experience was bad.
From initial contact at the display home and viewing plans to advice on aspects of the block the sales staff at Smart Homes Busselton really listened to our ideas and helped achieve our goals, even assisted by liaising with Financiers, real-estate & settlement agents.
Once we were ready, the prestart meeting was virtually stress free with all our options clearly explained and displayed, the changes we proposed were incorporated and priced with multiple options for our informed choice, then follow up calls and final drawings.
Our Build supervisor scheduled meetings on site at our convenience throughout the build at relevant times and had the project on track and handed over in a timely manner.
The customer service provided through the whole process was excellent and consistent including the office staff during the process and after handover with any issues resolved quickly.
Consistently set very high standards and delivered a High Quality Product.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Graham, thank you for sharing your experience with Smart Homes For Living! The entire Southwest team will be wrapped to hear your amazing feedback. On behalf of the entire Smart Homes For Living... read more »

Amazing people, amazing build

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2017

After hearing some stories from friends about the problems they go through when building a house we were fearing the worst. Our experience with smart homes experienced no issues what so ever. They finished our build in less than 20 weeks and went out of their way and over the top to make sure we were happy with everything and Brett (our supervisor) was absolutely perfect. He went out of his way to make sure we got our keys earlier than expected and had every little tiny scratch or mark fixed up. Tess was really friendly and helpful with our pre start and Kylie our client liaison was keeping us up to date regularly. I definitely cannot forget Lee Claxton who helped us choose the house of our dreams and made sure everything was ready to go as soon as we had titles. We will be the first ones living in the estate of about 60 houses which just shows how fast our build was.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Mick F, thank you for your kind words and sharing your building experience with Smart Homes For Living. Our team will truly be chuffed with your feedback, so thank you. From the entire team at S... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Smart Homes saved us from giving up on owning our own home.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

The build is progressing so quickly and with useful regular updates. It has been a breeze and we love how they have worked together to provide a team who strives on great customer service. Nik has been more than we could ask for in a representative and has strived to be efficient and helpful at all milestones.
We did not have a great experience with a previous builder who took advantage of our First home owner status by changing the plans multiple times to suit them, telling us what we wanted instead of asking and lying throughout about financial needs.
We are now happy that, that is now in the past and we were given a second chance with Smart Homes For Living. They provided us with Honesty, reliability, a home that we love and can't wait to live in and all up a great experience.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi KnN, thank you for your kind words and taking the time to post a review! We're absolutely chuffed you enjoyed your building journey and we have restored faith in the home building process for yo... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2016

First time builders and very happy!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

Our personal experience with Smart Homes was an absolute pleasure to say the least, you hear about all the horror stories that are associated with building a new home and everything that comes along with it, but I can honestly say our experience was smooth sailing and any little issues that we did come across the prompt service we received was outstanding! Our sales consultant was Drew Williamson who we meet at the Smart Homes display house located in Southern River. As soon as we meet Drew and had our initial chat with him to discuss exactly what we were after, it was clear in our minds what to do going forward. I highly recommend Drew, he is very professional and knowledgeable when explaining every little finer detail, its very reassuring and I believe that is so important when a first home is built.

Big thumbs up to the whole team including the site supervisor, customer liason and pre-start division, very helpful and professional every step of the way.

I highly recommend Smart Homes when building your first, second or even third home you wont be disappointed.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Chris. C., Thank you for your review and lovely words. We're wrapped to hear you enjoyed the process and our amazing team members made the journey smooth and easy. We wish you many years of jo... read more »

House is perfect!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

From the start in October 2016 to this week when we are days away from receiving our keys for our first home, it couldn't have gone any smoother!! Leon was great answering all questions (no matter day or night, nor how stupid the question) meeting us at all hours to make sure we where happy with plans and changes!
From there our site supervisor Josh stepped in and has been great as well! Throughout the process Leon has kept onto us to see how things are going which has been great as well!
For what we could afford we have definitely gone above and beyond what we expected to be able to get - and Smart Homes have been more then excellent through the decisions, pre start, build and now hand over!!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Taylor, thank your for sharing your experience with Smart Homes For Living. We're wrapped to hear your 'house is perfect'. I'm sure the team members will be very pleased to read your lovely comm... read more »

1 of 6 pages