Starting from Friday, July 13th 2018, Smart Homes For Living is offering each reviewer a $50 Coles Myer Gift Card for taking the time to write a review. This incentive is offered to reviewers who have written either a positive or negative review. Reviews below may have received this incentive.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jan 2019

First home build

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

We were recommended to look into Smart Homes when we were first thinking about building a home. I hadnt heard of them before so i did some research and was interested in meeting with them. From the initial meeting with the consultant, we were really happy with them. The features they offered as standard and their house plans got us to the meeting, but the consultant is what sealed it for us. A few hiccups at some points in the process, which is expected no matter who you go with, but it was handled and we were looked after. We’re about half way through our build now and it has been an enjoyable process. Really excited to get in to our first home!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2018

Best experience for first home builder!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2018

My partner and I were both first home buyers and where quite nervous about the idea of Building as I’m sure we have all heard of horror stories about building before. However once we had met with Brandon and he explained how the whole process works and showed me the difference Smart Homes brings compared to other builders we felt much more comfortable about starting.

We are now fully moved in and settled and can say we are very happy with the entire process from Prestart to Admin and through out construction Phoebe kept us up to day and made sure it was all moving smoothly.

We would like to thank Smart Homes and the team for making our dream come true and we would recommend anybody who is looking to build to speak to Brandon and the team at Smart.

• 2 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2014

UNSAFE!, DANGEROUS! very bad quality Gas Water Heater DUX Prodigy 5 installed by the builder

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

Before you sign your contract with Smart Homes for Living (or any other builder) make sure that any unsafe product (like for example my Dux Prodigy 5 170D5N) is not going to be installed into your new home by the builder

Unfortunately I was not aware of that, I trusted the builder's choice, I was not given a choice to choose some different model of Gas Water Heater during Pre-Start Variation arrangement for example.
Smart Homes For Living just installed during the construction process probably the cheapest model on the market with terrible customers reviews! I realized that, but unfortunatelly too late :(
Here are some examples of the product reviews:

I contacted DUX but they look to be very reluctant to face the problem. DUX rep said me " I did not buy the product from them, so I should contact the builder" I contacted the builder then. The builder (Adrian from Smart Homes of Living) wrote to me that the company has nothing to do with it with the Gas water heater they installed 4 years ago as it is already out of 12 months warranty period and suggest me to contact ... DUX :)

It looks like Smart Homes For Living does not care at all about safety of their former clients. The are not happy to spend a few hundred dollars extra (not a big money) during construction process and keep their clients not only happy and first of all SAFE for a few years but not only for 12 months! That is irresponsible, not reliable and very disappointing :(

Here is some other example (not published) of one review about the product which Smart Homes for Living is still happy to install in their clients homes:
"Hey Gerard just saw your message about the water heater. Got to say We had the same issue with a Dux Prodigy water heater last week. Ended up having a new one as it caught alight. We have just tried to have a insurance quote as the new decent water heater was $3400 for a Rinnai 350L water heater. If you look at the reviews on the Dux water heaters i found 34 people who all had said these water heaters burst into flames within 5 years of putting in. in our case we bought a house that already had one installed. Maybe worth getting in touch with your insurance company but DONT turn it on. We were told it was lucky our house was not burnt down!"

...and additionally they are providing customers with information about the building company legal liability.

I just contacted Consumer Protection Government Department and Builder Commissioner yesterday and they both confirmed the builder's liability is for 6 years!!! (not 12 months as Smart Homes For Living claimed)

The matter is to be continued....

Previous review posted 7th of October 2014:
Its been already 1 months since I sent an email to the builder. No reply at all :(
"Hi [Name Removed],
I was wondering when finally your company will be able fix the problem (not properly done slab / pic in attachment) which I have reported a few months ago and then reported again on 20th of August.
Not only in my opinion the aluminium board offered to me in order to fix the problem (even if installed properly) can not be accepted, as this "invention" will not solve the problem in 100%. That is way I expect the company to fix the problem in a proper and professional way - according to building standards: new layer of concrete should be put onto garage floor to make proper floor level and ... btw make the slab thick enough (throughout the whole house area) to meet appropriate Australian building standards.
Please let me know when and how are you going to fix the above problem?
Regards,
Gerard Malan

P.S.
Also please let me know when cracked tiles in laundry and bathroom floor area (reported on 20th of August) will be replaced? I mean generally the problem (with floor tiles and/or slab?) will be fixed in professional way?

Comments

Quick update... Have had the gas water heater inspected by a gas inspector 2 days ago. An order has been issued (Inspector's Order No. 302145996) under section 18 of the Energy Coordination A... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2018

Perfectly designed home just for me

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2018

Happy with my progress so far and nearly at handover. Not a single problem from the beginning to now. My sales consultant Neil Morris was always available and took the time to design a home that would satisfy all my requirements and went above expectations to ensure I got a functional home that suited my needs. I am extremely happy with the end result, clever design ensured it will be a liveable space when completed. The quality of the home is great and the speed of which construction took place was above expectation. My pre-start consultant Nicci Harris was super helpful in offering style advice and spent the time with me ensuring that the home would include all features to make my home complete. Both Neil and Nicci were exceptionally helpful as I am an inexperienced buyer and they explained all minor details which I and other first home buyers may have overlooked. Kylie Mason was our client liaison officer and kept us updated the entire time and ensured any changes were promptly responded to with ease. I would recommend smart homes to any person wanting to build a home.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2018

Fast and Fantastic quality with great communication.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2018

From start to finish build was managed extremely well. Sales consultant Leon was extremely helpful and did a semi-custom plan for us based on what we'd spoken of our dream design. At each of several meetings with him happily and promptly changed plans and updated quote for us based on our requests.

The workmanship has been of such a high quality, we engaged a 3rd party building inspection company for Practical Completion Inspection 1 and there was barely an issue picked up. The site inspector even picked up a couple of issues himself and added onto the 'fix up' list.

Any issues that we communicated with the building coordinator were dealt with very promptly, communication was fantastic and Smart Homes team were a great help all the way through the build - wealth of information as this was my 1st home.

Final cost actually came down and down through the quoting and planning stages, our sales consultant had great advice on where to spend money and where to save, and was very helpful with cost savings throughout. Final build cost has actually come in at lower than the estimated cost, with build time of 5 months being 1 month quicker than the promised 6 months max. I almost fell over - faster and cheaper than promised!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi John We are so happy that you enjoyed your building experience with us, and that you now have some savings you can put towards personalising your new home! We pride ourselves on the quality of ... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2018

You cant go wrong with Smart Homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2018

I selected Smart Homes and Jason Schaal in particular based on a recommendation from friends and from the beginning it has been the smoothest process I have been involved with, from the initial meeting through the prestart, the build and the handover the communication has been clear and I really have had to do very little, every member of the team was excellent, they are knowledgeable and very proactive with their respective part of the process and they all made each transition to the next step seamless, I knew who to contact at all times and never once felt like I didn't know what was going on. Even the broker Jason put me on to was awesome, I never thought I could afford the house that I am currently sitting in but yet here I am, you would be mad if you went with anyone else, this mob are truly professional and provide excellent service which is severely lacking in our current world. when I build again I will be using Smart Homes that is for sure.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Wow! Thank you for sharing this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G feedback with us. Building new is often daunting so teaming up with a great rep (like Jason) and a proven builder (like us) is always a great place t... read more »

End result was worth it

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

Was recommended to build through smart homes by a colleague at work who had a positive experience with them. I met with Neil, one of their sales guys, and he was great and gave us confidence to proceed. Overall the build process was fairly straight forward and pain free, like any project this size there was a couple of small issues but nothing that could not be fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Patrick. Thank you for putting your trust in Smart Homes for Living! We’re really excited for you (and we know you will love your amazing new home). We are glad to have Neil on our team bring... read more »

• 1 answer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2018

Smart, efficient, quality, honest, helpful homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2018

Our home was built while we were 1000 kms away, great customer service from Neil, John and the team to get it how we’d like it, using face to face and electronic communication. Such a good feeling moving in. Getting the few niggles sorted after the build is a little slow but always fixed to satisfaction. The end result for our house is great we are really happy with it.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Corinne, Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We’re chuffed for you (and your glorious new home) and oh so proud of our team, especially Neil and John. Wishing you a lifetime of joy,... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jan 2018

Fantastic...

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2018

Fantastic customer service, always keeps us update.
My Partner and I were very new at the home owning and wasn't sure what to do, Smart Home Helped us from the start to the end and supported us.
We are very happy with our location and home ideas from pre start and look forward to moving in.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Stev,

We are so happy we could go on this journey with you and be a part of this new chapter in your lives.

We will pass on your lovely feedback to all who were involved.

All the best
Smart Online Team

Fabulous, professional builders

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

Tony (our site supervisor) was fabulous! He was over to our property 2-3 times a week. He was very contactable and on top of everything going on. There were workers at the house almost every day - worked between Christmas - NY to ensure the quick build time was succeeded. Only a few minor defects to some walls, otherwise great workmanship.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Katy, We think Tony is fabulous too. How lucky are we to have him in our team? And not to mention our fantastic trades who worked hard to get you into your home as soon as possible. We ho... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2018

Fantastic customer service and options

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

We are new to the market had had no idea what we had to do. We had Leon as our sales consultant. He made everything so much easier and put up with all our question. Smart homes have great plans and great options. They have helped us create our first home together and we are very happy with everything they have done.
There was an issue with our contract but was quickly resolved.
So happy to have chosen smart homes and would highly recommend them.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Sara, So glad to hear you had a fantastic experience with Leon and he found you the perfect home. Now the fun really begins and we bet you can't wait to move into your home in a few month... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2018

Professional and Perfect from Start to Finish

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2018

My decision to build with Smart Homes For Living was made easy once I met with Neil Morris. Neil went above and beyond to ensure a design that incorporated the features I was wanting was able to built to my budget and lot size. This to the point of meeting late at night to my convenience and providing hand sketches for me to consider.

As a first home buyer and completely new to the building process, Neil stepped me through the appropriate steps to ensure a smooth transition through the early phases of planning and purchasing.

Absolutely love the final product of my first very own home and can't wait to do it all again!!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Goes above and beyond, super convenient, and has design savvy smarts - Sounds like Neil to us! We’re so glad you two found each other and thankful for the positive experience you’ve had building ... read more »

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

The workmanship and build quality was excellent they build very quickly and the communication between my liaison officer was outstanding the sales was also excellent,Jason show us with the details and guide us till everything got through and he introduced us to very good house broker and the broker help us to get in shape in term getting ready for finance. Overall smarthomeforliving service was top notch

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Luky, A great result takes an amazing team, and we are lucky to have the best in the biz. Admin, drafting, estimating, sales, customer liaison & construction – all worked together to make your... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2018

Excellent service from start to finish

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2018

We had the most amazing experience building with Smart Homes For Living. This was our first home and from the time we met Tom Wyard we knew we were in good hands. He is not at all a pushy salesman in fact it was his personal experience having built 3 homes himself that gave us the confidence we needed to go ahead. He never once pushed us to make a quick decision. He gave us all the relevant information we needed to make the decision ourselves. We really had a good experience as every other personnel we came in contact with since the initial stage have been professional and excellent. We highly recommend Smart Homes For Living as your Builder and ask for Tom Wyard!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Tab G, Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Everyone wants a great home, at a great price, that is delivered without a pushy salesperson in sight - Tom delivers this every time and we’... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2018

In good hands , First time building a home!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2018

What can I say from the moment we met our amazing sales consultant Claire Oakes at a smart homes display home , we knew she was the one to look after us in helping design our home. Knowing that Claire had herself built with smart homes and been with the company since they became Smart homes, gave my husband and I confidence we were in the right hands.

Whilst we have only reached pre-start stage in our build process. Their has not been a phone call or email gone by un-answered no matter how silly a question might have seemed or something we didn’t understand or unsure of Claire has been their to help make the process smooth as possible.

The level of customer service from Claire , to the receptionist and pre-start consultant at smart homes has been excellent! And a thanks to the drafts people behind the scenes that draw up the plans and put our ideas into reality.

This makes us excited for what the next 6 months or so will bring and can’t wait to see the final result and be living in our new Smart Home!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Aimee, Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. It sounds like Claire, and the wider SHFL team have given you (and your new home) their all, as they so love to do. Here’s to more smooth s... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Great work from the beginning to the end of our journey

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

Had a good experience building our first home with smart homes , really impressed with the customer service from the sales consultant Damian for his approach and making the whole process easier for us being a first home buyers . Most of the things were well looked after in terms of changes we needed to make and time frame for building house . Overall well done

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Kash, Thank you for sending these wonderful words our way. Suffice to say they made our morning! We’re chuffed for you (and your glorious new home) and oh so proud of our team, especially Dam... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2018

Excellent product, high quality.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

We gained a lot of insight when the Sales consultant, Nik Cvetkoski, took his time to explain the whole process to us. He guided us to a very good product choice with a lot of inclusions. He also helped us to come out with a design that we were very happy with. And at the end, there was no hidden costs to worry about. A very high level of professionalism and great customer service was exhibited by Nik, Sarah, Kylie, Kevin and the rest of the friendly staff we met. We are pleased with the quality of the building. All paperwork and approvals were fast-tracked to ensure our new home was completed ahead of schedule. We couldn't have asked for more. We are indeed very grateful to smart homes for this wonderful package.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Sam, "No hidden costs" was a fab place to start, "fast-tracked" a great middle, and "couldn't have asked for more" the perfect end. Your feedback is about as close to perfection as it can come... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2018

Our Incredible Home!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

Smart Homes for Living made our building process enjoyable and easy! Throughout the building process we had fairly good communication. Our Sales Consultant, Gordon Jones, was fantastic throughout the whole entire process! We thoroughly recommend him to anyone who is considering to build! Our Pre-Start Consultant, Tess Godfrey, was also fantastic and incredibly helpful! A few issues occurred due to many staff changes (3x Client Liaison Officers and 3x Building Supervisors) however once the staff changes were settled, the communication did improve. Our final Client Liaison Officer, Phoebe Gonzalvo-Hall, was great! The few workmanship issues pointed out to our Building Supervisors were fixed, and some workers came out after handover to fix the items that were not completed in time. Overall the quality of the build is incredible and we are very happy with our new home! We would definitely build with Smart Homes for Living again in the future, and would recommend them to everyone!

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Max W, Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us and the readers of Product Review. It’s important for us to hear, and even more important for us to take on board as we continually st... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2018

So happy with my house

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2018

From the first meeting with the home consultant to now, almost lock up stage. I can't fault the customer service, support and workmanship of all involved at Smart Home for Living. Claire was fabulous with the design and all the changes I made to the home. Pre-Start and communication up to and during construction to date has been very professional. Troy and tradesman have done an amazing job so far. So happy with Smart Homes for Living.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Hi Jo, Thank you for putting your trust in Smart Homes for Living, our wonderful team, and the crazy - but fun?! - journey that is building. After reading your review, we’re feeling so many thing... read more »

Very Excited Can't Wait To Move In

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2018

When I decided it was time to build my home I contacted Claire as she came highly recommended by several friends, so glad I took the advice as Claire has helped me design an amazing courtyard home and found me the perfect block for it to go on. I get my keys this week and I couldn't be happier the quality in my home is outstanding Troy is best supervisor... Thank you to the whole team for building me such a beautiful first home.

Comments
Smart Homes For Living Official

Wow Geoff! This feedback is amazing to hear. Thank you for putting this trust in Claire, and letting our amazing team exceed your expectations (as they so love to do!). We’ll be sure to share thi... read more »

1 of 9 pages