Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Love it. Best thing i ever did

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

I am a plumber by trade and have a lot to do with hot water. I have a 302 lcsd. There are 4 people in my family and i only have to boost 1 or 2 times a year. I saved $200 on my first bill. What i have found is when someone has a problem with there hot water 90% of the time its a valve mixing wrong or running water out. I think due to the sun that shines here we're crazy not to have one on every house.

Date Purchased: Aug 2010

not good value when it only last for 8 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2018

had to fix tv antenna and found heater was leaking ,water quality is very good ,old heaters would last 8 to 10 years with poor water quality will not be fixing my solarhart over priced poor quality wish I had this review page 8 years ago.would not have put one in.

Purchased at: Solahart

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Beware of solahart hot water heaters not lasting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

We had a roof solar hot water installed in about 2012 by solahart. After the instillation we found the hot water was not very hot (the booster is on 24/7) after 6 years the water heater started to leak from the tank. Solahart would not give any warranty so we spent over $2000 on a new tank
I do not recommend solahart

Purchased at: Solahart

Date Purchased: May 2014

Booster not boost so good.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2017

I have a 302L Solahart 3 years old. Have an in house booster switch I use when necessary. I can boost any time of day for 2-3 hours and never gets hotter than Luke warm at best. My previous unit was a 25 year old Rheem and the booster worked fine. Just the 2 of us. 3 quick shrs a day. This unit does not perform as described in my booklet. PIPING HOT WATER ALL YEAR ROUND. I think not. I have been told the booster should be on continually and the internal thermostat should switch on and off as required. ?? Any thoughts on that ? I am in sunny Cairns so my system should be operating at it's maximum on sunny days one would think. Disappointing to say the least.
Cheers Greg

• 1 question
  • 5 answers

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Booster using too much power

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2017

Solahart with automatic booster our power bill has increased. Trying to eliminate other appliances by switching them off as advised by western power.
In a 2hr period this am the booser was switched ON and used 5kw power.
In the preceding 24hr period with the booster switched OFF there was only 5kw used.
Solahart people won't have it that the booster is using excessive power has to be something else.

Mandurah

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2010

Rheem/Solarheart/Solar Edwards No Difference

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

Rheem/Solarheart/Solar Edwards systems are all owned by the same mob now. If you check out the reviews for all of the different 300L roof mounted models they provide there is definitely an overwhelming similarity in the reviews submitted.
Brought my first Solarheart in 1982. What a beaut, lasted 22 years with no problems just had to change out the anode every few years. House has been rented out since 1993. Replace that one with another Solarheart, why wouldn't you after such a terrific run with the previous one, but unfortunately that one only lasted 6years, just out of warranty of course. 2010 I replaced it with a cheap Chinese 200L unit and it still seems to be going strong.
1998 built a new home and gave Solarheart another go. It lasted about 8 years and tank went. Was selling that house so just replaced it with the cheapest Solarheart I could by, don't know how that one ended up.
Late 2010 moved into a new house we built and got, on advice from many people and reviewers, the Rheem Premium Close Circuit 300L colour coordinated unit. Stainless steel tank, coated collectors, you name it we got what we thought was the best on offer. Here we are now mid winter 2017, 6 and a bit years old unit and tank and fluid leaking already. No one wants to know about it, the place we bought it off went broke, Rheem insists it only has a 6 year warranty on the tank, so we are thinking of moving away from solar hot water now, such a shame. When there was pride in building the units, and they were most likely made in Australia in the beginning, they were worth the effort for the environment, now sadly they are just a money maker for the multitude of manufacturers/owners that most likely have no idea of the decline in quality.
Seems to me that all of the manufacturers/owners are only interested in turnover, just like many other things now quality takes a back seat and the consumer, and environment, lose again.
Where to here for environmentally friendly household hot water supply?

Date Purchased: Jun 2007

302L tank only lasted 10 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2017

Two commercial installations of the solarhart 302L. One tank just went, and the inspection on the other tank shows it is leaking and also needs to be replaced. These tanks should last longer than this! Looking online you can find many companies that offer 10 years warranty on the tank.

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Well below expectations

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2017

We had a solarhart hot water system installed 6 years ago and have just had the bad news that it is all rusted out and needs replacing. After expecting to get much more time this was extremely disappointing. The solarhart guys
gave us this news and then an invoice for $163 call out fee, with no help offered for the immediate leak problem.
We have lost faith in the solarhart brand and feel that Solarhart should review their call out fees. Would also advise everyone who has one to get it checked before the 5 year warranty runs out.

Zilzie

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Wonderful, I am very happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2017

Solahart Rockhampton, did a fantastic job I am very happy with the hot the hot water system , the way it was installed. No fuss they cleaned up well after them. I was a bit worried about how hot the water would be but its so great and as hot as the electric one I had before, big tick to Solahart Rockhampton. I am about to price a Solar PV electric system from them as well

• 3 answers

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Poorly installed. Panels not strapped to the roof, only held in place with the copper water pipes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2017

Solar hot water system stopped working after 12 months. I just rang solarhart and they don't have an out of hours emergency plumber. Had to wait untill 7am Monday to book a call out. I was hoping it would work for longer than 12 months before it failed. No hot water, for 3 days and still waiting for their plumber.

• 10 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 51 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Effective water heater

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2016

The first solar heater on our house lasted 20 years and the 2nd one 13 years which was a little disappointing. Most recently ours started to leak within the collector panels and the assessment was to at least replace the collectors. The tank appeared ok and has had the sacrificial anodes replaced etc. However at $2500 to replace the collectors and $3400 to replace the whole unit we made the decision to replace the whole unit. Average life of these heaters is estimated at 15-20 years so 13 is a bit less. Our 302 L series faces north on the roof and we have never had a problem with hot water or problems with heating elements etc. Except for 3 months over winter we hardly ever use the booster. In winter we leave the booster on 24 x 7 and our power bills are not excessive. I got a quote from rheem for the solar edwards eqivilent and then could not find any positive reviews on any review sites. It would appear that the original stainless steel solar edwards heaters may have been good quality but no so in recent times. Happy i stayed with Solahart. Its a very good solar hot water heater.

Date Purchased: Jun 2010

Solid, reliable system. Exactly what I wanted.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

After almost six years my Solahart is still going strong. Water is always hot, and there is always plenty of it. I'm in northern California, and the Solahart system is perfect for this climate. My equipment is reliable, dependable, sturdy, and requires almost no maintenance on my part. Highly recommend.

Ballina

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

It stopped working after 1 week

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2016

When my solar hot water system stopped working after just 6 years I was recommended by the plumber to purchase a whole new system from Solarhart - he told me they were the best. In good faith I followed his advice and did so. After just 1 week it stopped heating. I contacted the provider and was eventually told that even though the green light had gone out (which the manual said indicated it was not heating) it was heating!
Confused?! She was the business owners' wife and she said her husband would contact me later that day when he was available. That was 2 days ago and I'm still waiting.... To be continued. ( but I wish I had checked out this site before trusting the plumbers advice.

Sydney

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2001

Going strong after 15 year maintenance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2016

Bought a house with one of these on the roof. Electric boost wasn't working, Solarhart Sutherland replaced along with anode and pressure valve in a 5-year service (cost $450). Working like a dream. Boost kicks in, but only at night after using lots of hot water.
Some very negative reviews here, maybe manufacturing quality has dropped?

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2010

DONT BUY SOLAHART / Rheem

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2016

Sadly, I poorly invested $6,000 dollars on a three panel solahart hotwater system thinking it would last longer than 6 years. However, the system has suffered a catastrophic premature failure. Leaking panels. Lucky for Solahart it just made it past warranty, with Solarhart giving me the two finger salute. Solahart is owned by Rheem so beware of this namesake product range too. I found Choice magazine a great place to start looking for your replacement system. Im thinking a straight electric hotwater system with a solar power panel system may be the best replacement. Main thing to take away from this is "buyer beware" of solahart / Rheem. You wont get any product or after sales support.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 11 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2001

Solarhart - No thanks!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2016

We installed a gas boosted Solarhart 220 in 2001. The system boiled water on hot days - which created a problem in that, as the hot water was continually being dumped via the pressure release valve, the lost pressure subsequently allowed the off grid water pump to switch on again - to replace the lost water! A recycling event that kept going all day long. Advice from the 'firm' was to cover half of the panels to lessen the solar radiation. All well except it meant someone had to climb onto the roof every year to install, then remove, said covers - that's if a storm hadn't already done so in the meantime. Eventually, a retro-fitted Hartstat Over Temperature Relief Tank was installed - which solved the problem for about 3 years before it too, failed! Then the gas booster gave up the ghost after about 8 years. Repairs to same cost an arm and a leg and it was cheaper to install a separate gas hot water system to work in conjunction with the solar section when required. After a short while, the solar part of the system failed to heat water altogether and soon after that - no water supply from the solar system at all! A call to the 'Firm', and a subsequent visit, indicated that one of the panels was leaking - and quite possibly the water tank itself had rusted through! No way to discover the problem unless all was removed, taken apart, and inspected. Strange.......Only had it serviced four years ago with the advice by the 'firm' that the system had no problems and was in good order. Best advice - decommission it and start afresh! Total costs to date for our Solarhart over 15 years, including installation and servicing = $6500. Get another Solarhart? Not in a million years!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canning Vale, WA

• 8 comments
  • 13 answers
  • 25 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2007

Luke warm water

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2016

I have nothing good to say about my solarhart. Even with the booster installed the hot water takes more than a minute to come through and it's luke warm at best.

Especially over winter you pretty much can't have a decent shower. You can't wash dishes in hit water.. Even if you might get a could a few minutes worth of water it will go cold and you'll have to get out of the shower.

Benalla

• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Sep 2001

Poor service from Solahart & the local service agent.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2016

We had a 300L roof system with 3 panels (3 for 2 deal) in 2001. Not long after we found that the water boiled when the daytime temp was 28 deg or more. Contacted Solahart for a remedy. There was, cover some of the panels, really. We did this each summer for a few years. I discovered that Solahart had a draw off device to stop this problem, so $500 later it cured the problem. Why didn't Solahart contact us to offer this? Why, because they have a flog'em & forget service policy. Earlier this year it stopped heating water during the day so I contacted the closest service agent being McDonald O'Brien in Wangaratta. I was told it needed a valve, so they replaced it. No change, another visit, can't find anything wrong. So another trip to discover that one panel was leaking so it needs a new one. None on hand so ordered. When this was being installed there seemed to me to be an excessive amount of banging & crashing to get it into the frame. Eventually it was in. Next day, no change so back they come. Mate, there is another one leaking. No kidding, who'd have thought that the grievous bodily harm metered out installing the first panel would not have had an adverse result on the others. But no, the plumbers weren't to blame, really. So the decision was made to replace the 3rd one which was in the middle. Recently we had material blocking a mixer tap. This was the dip tube breaking down. So another call to McDonald O'Brien only to be told they don't have dip tubes. I knew they did. Wouldn't you know it, the boss came back to say they don't have 1 but 2. Again none on hand. So yesterday these two boys replaced them. Early evening, ran the hot water, no water. These idiots had not bled the tank of air so the boost had been ineffective. Why doesn't Solahart have agents that know the product & how to fix them. Crap service all round. When the tank blows up we will ditch solar hot water & go back to gas.

Mount Colah

Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Terrible product and service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2016

Constant issues with Solarhart system. Water only luke warm - not hot enough to bathe in winter if you have a cloudy or rainy day. Replaced every part as per reps diagnosis, valve, thermostat etc... Had enough of it going on for years. We were convinced to buy a new system as this was getting long in the tooth. New Solarhart system installed (unfortunately). Constant issues again. Thornleigh area Rep told us the last rep put a cheap chinese valve in and would replace it - water gushing out several times. A few months later our daughters walls become mouldy and gyprock virtually melted (after a few heavy rains). Had to vacate that room. My husband found the tiles on the roof broken when system installed. Called our area solarhart rep again and asked that they remedy the roof and walls. He said it wasn't his problem, it was a rep that no longer contracts to them. So too bad!! Issues continued when unit put back up roof. Solarhart said it was the Ausgrid metre box as the issue, and wouldn't come out. Ausgrid came out several times and tested in front of me and said it's definitely the unit (Ausgrid Hornsby rep is amazing and helpful). Finally the solarhart rep came out...after i told my husband 'somehow get him here or else'!. He came out Yesterday...and said it was the shonky cheap chinese valve (we were told was already replaced)needed to be replaced with the proper valve that the new unit should have been installed with....and had to pay!! Now, to change the off peak 2 back (as it wasn't the problem) we have to pay AGL...
We advise anyone not to go with Solarhart. They install cheap chinese (swapping out the proper valve we purchased as part of system), damage tiles on roof which cause water damage, refuse to come out and troubleshoot (but rather give you the run around that it is Ausgrid), and accept zero responsibility. I cringe everytime our hot water fails as it will be costly and timely. I accept it is all my fault though, for again chosing Solarhart. I didn't learn.

Townsville

• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Oct 2001

Great product failure of solarhart own repairer

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2016

This product is perfect for North Queensland conditions purchased in 2001. Serviced at 5 year intervals yes even sacrificial annode recently had a dripping overflow pipe so had service done and was told cold water relief valve should be replaced agreed to it to stop dripping. When I got home found it to be leaking worse. Contacted Solahart only to be told it's only the tank expanding and contracting. How is a lose of 144 litres on a 24 hour period be normal. I thought by dealing with Solarhart them self I would be safe. The rep told me it's fine. No it's getting worse. Not happy Solarhart.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

UPDATE.contacted the company. THEY were efficient will send rep over in 2 days to try and rectify issue

1 of 3 pages