Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Awesome sound

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2018

This speaker is great! Works on WiFi and can be connected to Alexa.
I love the sound that it creates, low, mids and highs are clear. It's amazing how the sound travels to farther areas without the volume being too high. I guess the initial set up is important for the speaker to recognise the whole area.
Initially, I bought one to test and already ordered the second one.

melbourne

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Good once I got it going

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

The audio quality is brilliant on this speaker. Application will take a little bit of getting used to. It did take me about 2.5 hours to get the thing starting because it would not recognize the device (even when I had Ethernet plugged in). Never the less, after a few 'switch on- switch offs' it found itself and worked

PERTH

Small box big sound

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2018

As the title says absolutely great sound in this little box. I bought two of these great looking speakers for my living room and yes that filled the room worth great clear music every time I play them. That work with your wifi so you can use your phone normal and no interruptions when attending calls unlikely Bluetooth you have to be in range and interrupted calls. Loving them so far and planning to buy bar and base as well.

No line in

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

There is no line in, which greatly limits the usefullness of this product for me. I couldn't believe that they did not include this in a speaker which costs several hundreds of dollers, it would have been a matter of cents for the physical components required to do this.

- in short i cannot use this product as a general purpose speaker, for tasks like:
- playing audio through my pc desktop.
- playing audio outside my wifi area (taking on holiday etc).
- playing audio for youtube.
- playing audio from netflix through my laptop etc.

I can only use it for:
- Certain music streaming services
- Radio streaming services
- AudioBook streaming services

The user experience in the app is also quite bad.

Brisbane, Australia

• 11 answers
  • 27 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Added to my system and still loving it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2018

I have the Play:5 and bought the Play:1 to go into my sewing room downstairs.
Really happy with the sound, for such a small unit.
I was able to add the new speaker with no issues.
Negatives are the same as with the 5 - you need to have reliable wifi.
* there is no usb port in the speakers. Had I fully comprehended I would have gone with another system that had usb ports.
But the majority of the time it does what i want and plays the music i want to hear.

Only Good For Spotify Premium Members

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2018

Very disappointed with the Sonos speakers. These were sold to us with the understanding that we could Bluetooth our music throughout our house in various rooms from our phones, iPad, computers etc, our children having their own music in their area, our living room entertained by other music, and music by the pool entertaining by alternative music.

All we are now left with after spending the money (along with additional wall mounts - which can I say are an extortionate cost nearly exceeding the price of the speakers itself) we are left with random radio stations from around the world.

I love music, but if there is one thing I can't tolerate, it's radio stations with repetitive adverts and cheesy - unfunny radio hosts, and to much talking.

We even paid extra for electricians to install the additional power points and mounts, only to be left with RADIO STATIONS to entertain our guests.

Spotify serves well with our range of music taste, and I do know that I can subscribe to a premium Spotify membership, which I refuse to do because I shouldn't have to pay $15 per month for something I use only 1-2 days each month to entertain friends.

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Fail for Spotify free users

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2018

Great sound not worth the money when you can’t use it for everything you want, wouldn’t have purchased if I had known you have to get Spotify premium to use Spotify. Couldn’t decide between the Bose system and Sonos when purchasing should have gone with the Bose. At least with the bose speakers you can use them with anything you want at no extra cost.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Good for those who love to stream with reliable Wifi

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2018

Have heard lots about Sonos being the number one for premium wireless sound, so decided to try one out.

Sound quality is great, crisp and clear and surprisingly loud for something so small. I can understand why they are so appreciated. But after that, i can't say i'm sold on them. If you're purely after sound quality for use at home (over wifi) i can't and won't fault them (my ratings reflect this). But i guess that's one of the issues of the matter - it needs a good wifi connection. And thanks to the NBN, that's something i don't have. Not only that, they need to be permanently connected to power, so aren't portable - hence another reason why they're great (only) for home use.

So, for my purposes, a bluetooth speaker suits my needs more. Bluetooth speakers are portable (with a built-in battery) so they can be taken around with you anywhere. Many of them have waterproof ratings too. They aren't reliant on flaky (never can pick the right time of day or night) wifi connections. All you need is a device with a reliable bluetooth connection, which luckily i do. I acknowledge the sound quality does take quite a hit because of this, but the versatility and convenience on offer without the reliance on (handicapped) wifi makes it a more balanced choice.

Long story short - get one if you want great sound at home (i believe you can get 2 and make it stereo sound) and you have strong and reliable wifi. Otherwise, for something more versatile and portable, maybe look elsewhere.
My search continues...

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Simply brilliant

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

I looked at Sonos systems a year ago but felt they were too expensive. Then, in the NewYear sales 2018 we saw some serious price reductions. I managed to pick up 2 x Sonos Play:1 speakers for under $200 each. This means that for less than $400 you have a seriously good stereo system. Combine this with a very affordable Spotify subscription and you have access to most of the world's recorded music at a quality that anyone but the most pedantic audiophile would be happy with. Setup was a breeze. I have now ripped my entire CD collection on to a NAS drive and the Sonos system can access that too. The IOS App also works very well.

Geelong

• 1 comment

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Great start to our music system

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

Bought this bluetooth speaker and its quite good. The sound quality is very high and I liked that you can add more speakers to the set all through the house over time and they will still work together (unlike other brands). You need to have good internet connection and speed and I use an app through my phone to control it. You need a Spotify account to stream music or you can connect it to your old system. Sometimes there is a lag between controlling it through my iPad, but that could be the NBN here.

Western, Victoria

• 6 comments
  • 1 question
  • 9 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Mar 2011

Love the Sonos systems

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

Having started with a Sonos Connect:Amp with old British made JR speakers, then bought two Play 3s and a Play Bar, now with a Sonos Sub as well.

The bedroom has to Play 1s or rather a Play 1 and a Play One, ready to listen for us. We stream nearly all the day long so we know when we have dicky internet (read NBN) connections. Alarms start streaming from 6.40 so we are internet reliant.

The app is on a constant upgrade path. I can't make out the level of criticism that others give. We have three visible systems to control with the app and my wife isn't particularly app friendly doesn't have an issue with it.

Sonos, love it

Date Purchased: Dec 2015

love our sonos!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2017

we gifted this to my husband a few years ago, upon seeing/hearing at a few friends places, and LOVE it. Great sound for little speakers, easy to use, and makes us listen to more music, new music, more varied radio than ever before. No complaints. Works like a dream, cute to look at and i encourage anyone who's over a big ugly stereo to buy, you wont regret it!

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Delete this

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2017

This product is cancer. UI is worse than trash and the connection system is comical to say the least.
I am really not sure how this item/company is rated this highly quite literally one of the worst tech products i have ever purchased in my entire life. I would not recommend this at all

Cranbourne

• 3 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Music to my ears.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

Sonos has to one of the best speakers in the world, the quality the design and especially the sound, I have Two play One speakers and I just can't get enough them, my friends and family are always complementing the sound...next step a Sonos Connect amp and Play base...Thanks sonos...

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Great Sound, woeful connection options.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

For the size this little fella has great sound, however, taking it on holiday when travelling the east coast of Oz was a waste of time.

Ease of use regarding setup is a joke. To connect to new wifi in a hotel can be impossible.

I wanted a pair of them for computer speakers but found I needed to buy a bridge to do that. More wires and components which counters the idea of wireless audio.

Skip this item. It just isn't worth the money. If you want Sonos, then buy the big Play 5 so you have some hardware connection options or even better, look for a speaker with Bluetooth that doesn't need a proprietary app, and can stream youtube, etc.

Gold Coast

• 15 comments
  • 30 answers
  • 51 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

They KILLED it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2017

I have to say that I've long enjoyed my SONOS player. Being able to use music streaming services to play 'my' taste of music has been enjoyable.

But, SONOS has KILLED the usefulness of the player.

When I bought my first SONOS Play 1, There was Pandora FREE and a few streamed FREE radio stations. I'm not a fan of radio stations such as Calm Radio as they tend only to play US artists, and the music genre gets boring after a short while. Sadly, being a US company, SONOS don't enable options that play music eminating from outside the US.

NOTE: For me, the FREE options are OK, I don't mind the adverts.

I bought another SONOS Play 1 in April, only to learn a little later that Pandora FREE was to depart Australia.

So, what is there to fill the void?

Nothing, zilch, SFA!!!!

For whatever reason, SONOS has enabled FREE alternatives (eg. Spotify, Accuradio, etc.) in the US, but not for Australia.

SONOS now want me to pay to listen to the streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer, etc.

That said, while I can listen to FREE streaming services on my smartphone and play through bluetooth on my car radio, etc., SONOS will not configure their software to enable bluetooth streaming on their PLAY 1, 3, 5 or PLAYBAR. But, they have enabled their PLAY 5 to use an adaptor to accept bluetooth. Seems like SONOS has said 'stuff the folk using the lower end'!

So, until or unless SONOS enables bluetooth streaming on it's products, they are effectively useless.

As there are many quality (and well priced) bluetooth streaming speakers (players) available, do yourself a favour and forget SONOS!

NOT a happy vegemite!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Awesome speakers

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2017

Got my first sonos play one and fell in love with it, thought it being wifi based and having to use a seperate app would be annoying but is actually quite good because the music keeps playing no matter what is going on, on your phone, onto my second play 1 and have set up a stereo pair which sounds the best

• 20 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Great Sound For Entry Level SONOS

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2017

These little speakers sound amazing for the size. You can tell by the weight they're quality. But better than the sound, is the SONOS brand. The system itself is bullet proof. My network spans 7 zones across a 500sqm home and everything works perfectly every single time. I can run every zone simultaneously and never is the music out of sync, never is there a pitch shift correction either like you get with AirPlay. It sounds perfect, every time.

Purchased at: VideoPro

Adelaide

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Great wireless music solution

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2017

The music quality is excellent an it easily allows stereo pairing or separation of additional units. The sonos app works with most streaming services and your local MP3 collection. For quality, looks and ease of use, it's the best. It's made a fanboy out of me. Wifi means it's a better home solution with better range and quality than Bluetooth.

Hobart

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Sonos - sounds great!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2016

Sonos play 1 is the baby of the range but packs a heap of punch for its size. Nice and solid so it does not vibrate off a table but light enough to move around the house. Controlled by the Sonos app and set up in under a couple of minutes. The sound is clear but "gutsy" filling a small to medium size room with great sound. Two of them paired up with the sound bar and sub allow for surround sound for movies. Sonos is very rarely on sale but well worth saving up for. I have two with a third about to be purchased. They look and sound great.

1 of 2 pages

Bought the Play 1 to test the Sonos ecosystem, thinking wifi might improve on bluetooth and intrigued about the whole house concept. Having severe trouble with skipping songs. Weird thing is the the symptoms change slightly - error about connection to the server (when using Spotify Premium and Apple Music), error about "Unable to play selected song", songs just skipping immediately to the next song no error message, Sonos iOS app spontaneously restarting. Sonos support very quick to respond with a specific suggestion about the Wifi channel (implemented) and looked at possible radio interference from a wireless phone (not sure what to do about that as the phone base is connected to the cable modem near the wifi router). Everything is updated - firmware, apps - still having the issue. Really frustrating as the sound quality is great and I can see why people fall in love with the system. Any helpful suggestions gratefully received before I return the unit after NYE?

timld asked on Dec 31, 2017

Answer this

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having, because sonos are one of the best sound system on the planet...It sounds like your Wi-Fi connection the reason why it's dropping out too much interference somewhere...if you can pin point the problem I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your sonos speaker, I have two play1 and I love listening to my music through them...good luck I hope you find the problem...

Glad to see Sonos responded quickly - that's also my experience (though not over the NY festive season).

Seems you are a PAY listener, so access via PAY channels ought be good. I only use free channels and Sonos has ditched just about all in favour of the PAY system For that reason, my several Sonos's are sitting idle.

Like Cliff, I suspect the problem is with your phone. If your WiFi connectivity is minimal, then that will cause the outcome you describe. Thatt is especially the case on a Sonos Play 1 ONLY (many use the bridge to combat this, though not normally a necessity).

One way to 'decide' on the location of the 'fault' is to play (already) downloaded songs. As these are not streaming in, then you can likely rule out whether it is the streaming process. If the errors continue, check your internal WiFi settings.

Hope this helps.