Victoria

• 2 helpful votes

My lifesaver spectra s1 breast pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

My lifesaver, this breast pump is well worth the money / price tag
Gentle expressing makes it bearable
Nurses made me use the medela brand in hospital...arghhhh...ouch....i have never been so happy with my purchase...glad i didnt go for medela because theyre far from gentle
Pricey but worth every penny $$

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

One less thing to worry about!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

I bought my Spectra S1 second hand but purchased all new attachements for it. It has been a godsend. I love that it has a long lasting battery. It’s suction is powerful and the letdown mode really gets the milk flowing. Can’t live without it.

Spectra customer service have also been amazing to deal with and their service/repairs are quick and affordable (I accidentally dropped mine out of the car - it was returned to me within a week - they even have the option to loan you a pump to use in this time!)

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Sundssss, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with your S1! I am so pleased to hear it has been so helpful for you. Pleased we were able to help you with you... read more »

Perth

Private message

Best pump for me, portable and convenient

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

Pumping is not the most comfortable activity in the world, especially if you exclusive pump, so I find this pump is very nice as it's not as strong as the Medela symphony but strong enough to extract milk quite well.
I've used my pump for my 1st for exclusive pumping, and for my 2nd for once a day pumping. They both were not huge milk drinkers so it was pretty effective for me. I've had the pump for 2.5y and it is still working well, but I've taken very good care of it (never dropped it and only recharged when battery is low). It's actually quite portable as I used to pump with it in a nappy bag from Target over my shoulder. Much bigger than the S9 but much more efficient.
I would recommend buying this over the more popular S2 as it's much more convenient to pump moving around when you need to. Especially cos pumping requires relaxation and sometimes that's not attached next to a power point, and I've often needed to pump in a car out on the move with hands free pumping.
I find I can only pump well if I put the pump on the fast massage mode at the highest suction, and it took me some time comparing the Medela Symphony to this pump to get the settings right (ie I had both pumps at the same time). I think you need to play with the settings to get the most milk out according to your body, and this may vary from person to person. I think I was able to get out approx 80pc out compared to the Symphony which I was happy with as it was always enough.

Verified Purchase

Supposed to be the best of the best...

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2018

The s1 is light, easy to carry, but awkward to balance on the couch (which is where I usually pump). I can use the pump for 20+ minutes and only seem to get around 80ml whereas another pump I have I can use for 10 minutes and get upwards of 140ml. The nightlight feature is helpful and bright enough to see the screen but not bright enough it's disruptive, the pump is relatively quiet which i appreciate when pumping next to bub while she's asleep. Customer service is lovely, they're very helpful and will usually offer you a discount code if you're purchasing the s1. Shipping was fast. I pump once a day to build supply and a stash for when I go back to work and honestly have not used this pump more than a few times as for the price I am disappointed in the output.. but that may be user error. All in all its a good hospital grade pump which is what I desperately wanted!

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Cassie, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with your S1. :) If you want to shoot us a message, there are a few things we can check out to make sure you are getting the ... read more »

PANANIA

Perfect Pump

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2018

I bought Melela single brestpump first but it is really hard to pump. I pump for one and half hours but only came for 15ml. I end up mastitis. But this product is great. easily to use and can portable. you can choose all the setting by yourself. Highly recommended

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Candice, thanks so much for taking the time leave us a review of your experience with the S1! I am so pleased it has helped you avoid lengthy pumping sessions, and of course, mastitis. :) If t... read more »

Brisbane

Private message

Wouldn't have been able to live without it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

I went from the Medela Swing, to the Spectra M1, to the Spectra S2, then finally onto the S1 for the portability! I wish I had have got it from the start as it is the absolute best! Worth the extra money for the rechargeable battery, so handy to pump on the go. Hundreds of dollars cheaper than other brands and an amazing product with a 2 year warranty.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Emmmlj, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review of your experience of the S1. It definitely is a superior pump to any other pump on the market, and for great reason - as you ha... read more »

Perth, Western Australia

• 112 helpful votes
Private message

Great pump. Probably the best on the market but not without flaws.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

Great pump and I can reach letdown much faster than with my Medela Swing. I’m not sure if it actually extracts more but being able to pump in 10 mins as opposed to 45 mins is a major plus!

A couple of cons I’ll note:
-The size - not too portable but expected for a hospital grade pump. I used to like using my Medela Swing with a pump bra and hook it to my pants so I could do my house work while pumping. The spectra is way too big for that.
-Would prefer more power on double pump - I’ve found the power goes down on double pump so even on highest setting I’m not getting as much milk from each breast as I would on single pump.
- It restarts on the last setting it was on which for me is the highest. Oh boy is it a shock receiving level 12 suction to my resting and unprepared nipples!! The Medela reverts back to the lowest setting when turned off and you turn it up which is much better. Just because I was on 12 at the end of a session doesn’t mean I can handle 12 without a warm up!

The pros:
- Seems to get me to let down faster than the competition which in itself saves me so much time and is what makes this machine worth it!
- Rechargable and portable! Massive plus. Although it’s big so not easily portable everywhere.

These two pros alone make it worth the nearly double the price of my previous Medela Swing. If you’re pumping a few times a day, being able to do it in 10 mins instead of 45 mins saves me nearly two hours a day. That’s an extra 14 hours a week or an extra $728 hours gained back in a year! Hell yes it’s worth the extra $180!

Brisbane

Comfortable, Portable and Awesome

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

This pump is so comfortable to use. It is easy to assemble and use. I am so glad I got this one, the rechargeable battery is so worth the extra money. I can pump anywhere any time and the battery lasts ages. I use this machine daily. The shields don't have many parts so the cleaning is a breeze. Love the various modes and the night light. Love it. So glad I got it.

Love that you can use the tommee tippee bags with the shield too. Added bonus.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Justine, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience of the S1. :) I am so pleased to learn you love so much about this pump! It is one of our favourite pumps for sure. I love ... read more »

• 1 question
  • 5 answers
  • 9 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

So silent yet so powerful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

I love that it's a closed system so no moisture can enter the tubing. It's very quiet compared to other brands and works exceptionally well.
I was advised to get the medela but after doing extensive research, I settled on this. I got the s1 plus on sale at spectra so it cost $70 less than the retail price. I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've also purchased the milk bags and cooler bag from spectra. It's really worth the money spent.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Pseudonorm, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with your S1. It's great to hear that you have enjoyed how quiet it is, and that it is working so well for y... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Works really well! Battery last long & easy to clean!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

This is the only breast pump that I have used so far. It works well, parts are not overly complicated, therefore easy to clean. The flange that it comes with is a standard 24cm, it didn't fit me, hence I have to purchase a 20cm flange separately. It would be great if there is an option to choose which flange when you purchase the machine.

Machine is a bit heavy though which makes this not easy to travel with. If you are using it predominantly at home, this is a good machine. If you are thinking of getting back to work or use it while travelling, better explore a more portable machine.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi MCMC, thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with the S1! The pump weighs one kilogram out of the box, but it is not as light as our smaller pumps. Unfortunately a hos... read more »

Best breast pump.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2018

Super effective breast pump. Recieved the day after I ordered it which was amazing. Good battery life, love that it is light and portable enough to take with me on the rare occasions I'm not at home to pump. The night light and timer are great features. I did need to go down a shield size, but that was easy enough.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Bon, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with your S1. :) Did you get any help with shield sizing? If you want to be sure of the best fit, shoot us a message... read more »

my bub's sustenance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2018

This GREATLY helped me and my bub for 8 months!!! No dramas, worked well all the way. Battery was very good, lasts me more than I expected. The night light is a plus, not too bright when pumping in the dark room with bub. The sound is a bit loud but it is like white noise kind of sound, so it doesn't really wake my little one and husband up.
And I got it for 15% discount as well, just watch out for those promos if you are not in a hurry to get one.
Now I have let 2 of my friends use it.
The only downside I feel of it is just that everything is online for it, so you have to wait 2-3 days for your product to arrive, so plan early.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Irene, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review about your S1 experience. :) We love hearing that your pump made such a big difference for you and your little one, and it made li... read more »

• 3 answers
Private message

Don’t bother with any other pump this it worth it’s weight in gold

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

After baby no.1 and using another brand with only one attachment baby no.2 came along and I wasn’t going to mess around it was so easy to set up and pull apart to clean. I could express both sides within 15 mins instead of an hour like my previous pump. I got the rechargeable/battery one so I could use a pump bra and pump hands free whilst making my toddler breakfast. But if cost is a problem I’d got the model down that need to be attached to a power source.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Coco, thanks so much for leaving us a review of your experience with your S1. I love how you were able to pump easily while grabbing breakfast for your little one, so you were not sitting aroun... read more »

Verified Purchase

Absolute lifesaver for feeding bub

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2018

I needed to express in the early days of giving birth to stimulate milk supply. The things I love about it is that is gentle on my boobs, makes very little noise, is portable so I take it to and from my room and can pump in front of the tv to keep me entertained and the parts are easy to assemble and easy to wash. I like the massage function too which stimulates my letdown so I can get more milk out for baby. I think the slightly higher cost for the ability to pump without plugging in is very worth it, and overall the pump is fantastic value for money considering how much it costs to hire one! In addition, the ability to double pump has saved me so much time. I now sit and pump on both sides at the same time for 10-15 minutes and I’m done – it’s super easy.

The only things I think are potential ‘cons’ are that the plastic tubes seem to come away from the backflow protector sometimes, but that might be because I carry it around so much around the house, but I just plug them back in and they don’t impact on performance whatsoever. Also double pumping is a bit tricky – I have to really sit there and hold them both up and tilt a bit forward so the milk goes into the collection bottles, but that’s just getting used to, and 10-15 minutes of my time to sit and zone out while pumping really isn’t a huge issue.

Overall really great product and one of the best things I have bought for bub – it allows my hubby to feed baby once in a while too and give mummy a break. It's great value too when you consider how much it costs to rent a pump. Highly recommended!!

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Kettlebelly, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with your Spectra! I am pleased you have found the pump to be so great for you, in so many ways!!! Please l... read more »

Love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

I love the Spectra S1 double pump. Its easy to use and easy to clean. The built in battery makes it easy to use when your out and about, the best feature by fare!
It is comfortable to use with lots of speed settings. Would highly recommended purchasing the spectra pump!

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Samantha, thanks so much for sharing your experience of your S1. :) I am pleased you are finding the portable battery so useful in helping you be out and about, and ensure your baby is getting ... read more »

• 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes

This saved me

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2018

I have used other hospital-grade breast pumps before, including Medela and Ameda, and just thought pumping was awkward and clunky with no way around it. Until I tried the Spectra S1... life changing! I pumped A LOT with both my kids, with almost every feed for around the first 6 months, so a good breast pump made all the difference to me. It's easy to move around with, so I can pump while watching TV, easily take it to the bedroom to use during the night... no unplugging from the wall every time. It only needed a recharge about once a week. And it has a night light! In addition to the excellence of the product, Spectra's customer service was top notch. They are super easy to reach, and are experts in using the pumps themselves, so they understand how vital it is to have a reliable, working pump available. I highly recommend this breast pump to any mum who relies on frequent pumping.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Marina, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your experience with the S1! I am super pleased it has made your life a bit easier as a mum, and is helpful to feed your baby! ... read more »

No problem, thanks for providing me such a great experience!

Tasmania

Verified Purchase

Excellent item for any breastfeeding Mum!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

I decided to buy an electric pump to replace my manual hand pump and it was the best decision I made post pregnancy. The pump itself is rechargeable which was one of the biggest reasons I bought it, for portability when I returned to work. You can double pump, change the speed and suction settings and it even had a light for night time pumping. There’s even a deep spot to sit your bottle in once you’ve finished. No issues with this product at all but just make sure you have the tube fully connected with no air intake otherwise it won’t suction properly.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Courtney, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review of your S1 experience! You are so right about checking that all the parts are connected properly. Whenever there are suction issue... read more »

Does not suit me

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

First of all, I want to give credit to Spectra customer service. They reply to your enquiries very promptly.
For the pump itself, I love the rechargeable feature. You can carry it anywhere in the house without worrying about power plug. And I only charged it once a day. The tubing should be longer. I find that often times it came off from the backflow protector. For me, the suction level was too strong for level 2 but level 1 was too low for getting milk output effectively so I stayed at level 2 even though it gave me some pain. This could be just me. I had not tried other pumps to compare with other than Medela Symphony that I tried couple of times in the hospital which suction was gentler. I dont think it is the flange size issue as I have checked with the lactation consultant that the standard 24mm flange is okay for me. Having that said, this could be why people are saying Spectra is powerful and efficient at getting output.

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Stacey, thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience of the S1. I am sorry you are having a difficult time with your comfort. :( I know you have seen a lactation consultant, but... read more »

Canberra

• 5 helpful votes

The best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

So much more comfortable than the hospital grade one they loan out from the hospital. Much more affordable than anything else. I had significant issues with supply due to bub's tongue tie, and this machine was the turning point for me. They're customer service is also excellent. Don't even bother with that competitor whose name starts with a 'M'.

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Bundah Girl! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with your S1 with us. I am pleased to know it really helped you out with bub's tongue tie... that can be a tricky time for all. Pleased o... read more »

Picton

• 1 question

Quick and easy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

I was a bit skeptical spending more than I wanted to on a breast pump but I'm so glad I did!
I almost bought the s2 because I thought the built in battery in the s1 wouldn't be necessary but I am so relieved that I went with the s1, the built in battery is a life saver! I love that I can go anywhere and pump without having to cart around messy, tangling cords.
All of the parts are quick and easy to clean and it pumps a lot quicker than other brands

Purchased at: Spectra Baby

Comments
Spectra Official

Hi Rachel, thanks so much for sharing your experience of the S1. I am so pleased to hear you found it portable and easy to use. It really makes a difference when you are a busy mum with a little o... read more »

1 of 8 pages