Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: 2013-2017 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Good Car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Have owned my stavic since new(2013), best value for my money. I love this car. Good space and my big family travels in comfort ( not squished) whilst there is respectable boot space. Very good car to run.

Ssangyong should keep improving the interior (plastics) ,incl the sound system (more powerful speakers)

• 4 answers

Generation: 2013-2017 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Awesome car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

Great car for the price. Minus a little trouble from the diff, needing a replacement under warranty, it's smooth to drive. A little slow on the uptake compared to the Triton, but hey fill it with kids and there's no rush. A maroon interior would be nice, but the grey is sufficient. I am having issues with the airbag light, due to get fixed for the third time under warranty, however. Heaps of boot space. Bluetooth works great. Maybe one day they will bring in the 9 seated version. 4wd too??.

Sydney

• 28 answers

Generation: 2013-2017 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Exceeded my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2016

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my Stavic last month. I was in the market to buy a good value diesel 7 seaters and considered a number of diesel options including Holden Captiva, Isuzu MU-X, Hyundai iMax, Kia Carnival and Mitsubishi Outlander. After considering equipment levels, performance and pricing, eventually Narrowed down the choice to the Stavic, Isuzu & Captiva. Test driven the cars and though I was initially skeptical of the Korean brand, the Stavic pleasantly surprised me with a nice drive feel. The engine is quite punchy and VERY quiet for a diesel, I have friend who thought the Stavic had a petrol engine (from inside the car). Considering the overall value, the Stavic test-drive convinced me that's the right car for my family (second choice was Isuzu then Captiva).

As I have not owned the car for long, I can't comment on the long term reliability nor the servicing costs, etc. But I can't find too many people on the net complaining on their Ssangyongs or Isuzus (unlike the Captivas).However, throwing an objective point of views, Holden would have sold a lot more Captivas compared to Isuzu and Ssangyong's, so this may be a contributing factor to the number of ownership complaints.

For all it's worth, so far the car is really pleasant and comfortable to drive. The auto gear changes smoothly, steering and built quality feels OK, no rattles so far and less plasticky than many other Japanese/Korean offerings. Just about a few negatives I can think of was the unavailability of the trip computer and reverse camera, even as an option.(on the standard model). The internal"room" lights must be manually switched off (other than the front "door" lights) and do not go off automatically when the car doors are closed (which could drain the battery). The seats are a bit too soft for my liking but this is an individual preference.

However, these minor issues should not stop anyone from buying the Stavic, as it is still a great value proposition given the sub-$30k pricing (I was not even charged extra for metallic colour) and the equipment levels included in the overall package.

If you are considering a Stavic, I recommend you test-drive it. I am sure you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was when I test-driven one.

Verified Purchase Generation: 2013-2017 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Nice car but the warranty sucks!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2016

I like the Stavic, the service costs are very high, and the warranty is terrible. The minivan has a decent engine, lots of room, but feels very cheap. Two plastic parts inside the centre console broke during normal use. ParramattaAutoCentre refused to fix under their warranty or ACL. $345 Unhappy!

Adelaide

Generation: 2013-2017 No Badge Date Purchased: Feb 2014

I loved this car ...... Until

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2016

I've always liked this car, so when looking for a people mover it was my first choice.
I purchased a new 2013 model Stavic In South Australia.
Pro's : Great fuel consumption 850km per tank on average , the back seats are removable, seven adults plus luggage fit easily, the middle walk thru isle is great as there's no need to fold seats to access back row, the cars interior is huge, it has four 12 volt chargers, all seven belts are lap sash seatbelts, the steering wheel features a radio control which could even change songs play
ed via Bluetooth, and also changed radio channels and mode it also features cruise control on the other side which enables you to not only set the speed but accelerate or slow down via the controls .

Cons : There's no lockable storage space except the boot, the passenger doors are very large making it hard to park and allow adequate room to exit, after less than two years the chrome peeled off the front interior door handles, the hand holds broke after minimal use, the sun visor keeps dropping down, and the black exterior paint scratches easily. All except the paint were covered under the warranty , replacements were ordered but didn't arrive in the 15 weeks we waited for them.
Unfortunately my car was damaged in a accident and in ten weeks we never even received the price for replacement parts, let alone the parts
After 12 weeks with still no pricing my insurance company labelled it a financial writeoff .

Over all , the Stavic drove well and was a great family car, unfortunately parts aren't readily available and we've since replaced it with a different make of people mover.

Generation: 2013-2017 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Excellent car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

The car is excellent and runs well. It is also quite economical on fuel - does Canberra to Melbourne (650km) with three-quarter tank. And for sub 30K price, you can't go wrong.
Got to be careful with dealers though. The one in Canberra quoted more than twice the normal price to replace brake pad and rotor during service at odometer reading of 55000. Protested and called Ssangyong directly and was told to seek a second opinion. I ended up paying less than half the dealer's price.

• 2 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2017 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Early days but good so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2016

Quiet and comfortable on highway for 7-8 lts/100 kms. Surprisingly powerful. So far reliable (purchased with 33k, now 47k). As per other posts, has great interior room and tows well. Some cheap items such as rear wiper switch on dash rather than stalk, and aircon/ventilation system is confusing, but overall fantastic value for money. Bigger test will be reliability over long term. Also the local dealer is awful so have had to service elsewhere. But i agree with others, with better marketing, these would sell in far greater numbers. Best thing is to test drive and see for yourself. You too will be pleasantly surprised as it will exceed your expectations given its price.

Perth

Towing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2016

I have just had a requirement to tow a 6 x 4 trailer loaded with chipboard completely filling the trailer. The Stavic never even noticed the load.This vehicle continues to impress. I have just past 6000 kms. Still early days but I definitely recommend this 7 seat vehicle fuel economy has been 12 Kls. per lt. in a city 100/200 country drive.

• 13 helpful votes

Affordable practicality!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

I did much research prior to buying the Stavic.
Coming out of a Mitsubishi Delica, we needed at least as much space. Safety features were of high priority as the Delica had none.
Looked at vehicles by Kia, Honda, Mitsubishi, Benz, LDV, Hyundai and more.
Eventually narrowed the choice to the Stavic and the Kia Carnival. While in some ways i think the Kia is probably a better overall package, the price difference of more than twenty thousand dollars brought things into perspective.
We've had our Stavic for some time now and struggle to fa
ult it.... engine is quiet and powerful and returns about 9.5l/100klm. Interior is extremely spacious and comfortable.
Heating, cooling, audio etc more than satisfactory. Ride is cushiony and smooth.
Suspension feel and light steering took some getting used to but love it now.
Best value people mover in Australia and if it displayed a better known badge it would be a big seller but no doubt carry a higher price tag.
Only complaints are: cup holders in front are pretty ordinary and the storage tray beneath the pull-out cup holders can't be accessed when the cup holders are in use. They are also unable to accommodate larger drinks/coffee cups etc.
The lack of a reversing camera was disappointing but not such an issue as to not buy the car.... an aftermarket option will suffice.
Also, the lack of SsangYong service departments in my area is an issue to some degree.
Just hope I don't need any warranty work done as my nearest service agent is two hours away.
Nevertheless, I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle and have recommended the SsangYong Stavic to others.

• 5 answers

Ssangyong Stavic

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2016

Performance great for 2.0L engine.
Handling comfortable on long trips, minimal engine noise.
Interior practical, can remove rear bench seat for more space.
Climate control air con works well for heating and cooling.
Plenty of legroom but wife finds the leather seats too firm.
Reliability excellent, servicing expensive, fuel 9.0-9.5l/100kms.

Perth

Underrated vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2016

A brilliant people mover, l purchased a 2016 Stavic and cannot fualt it admittedly I have only travelled 3000 kilometres . It's quiet for a diesel with plenty of power. I only wish that it had a reversing camera built in. Seating 7 adults with real leg room and a boot, it still keeps surprising me a real pleasure to drive.

Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia

• 7 answers

Ssangyong Stavic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2016

Used for touring in my photography business. Used on tour in National Parks on dirt, on long runs through the mountains and along the coast. Great vehicle, hasn't missed a beat. 30 thousand on the clock. So impressed my wife is looking at a Korando. Lots of space, large cargo area, removable back seat. Fuel around 9 L/100km. Easy access for all. Comfortable on 1000 km tours.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

Great Value For Your Money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

My car have done 71k on the clock in just over 2 years.....Running as new.Its very smooth and quite..we love our car..we even have a lexus rx450h but still we use our ssangyong for all the longer trips because it has so much room and kids love it.. In my personal opinion its an excellent family car for the price and surely its an under rated car.. so if you really after a good family car then go for it you will be pleased with your decision.. Because this car offers a lot more than what we pay it..We love our car.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: 2005-2013 Badge: Sports

About to take ownership of #2

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2015

We bought a 2006 model in 2013, low kms, and it was a very tidy car, unfortunately Stavros was T-Boned, by what we suspect to be a speeding (cant be proven) driver, he ploughed his pulsar into the driver door. The door though caved in on the outside, had the safety bar in the door that was still straight and solid, the door still opened and closed, it protected my wife perfectly... unfortunately the hit was so big though that the motor sheared off its mounts and the car was written off, so after a few months of waiting, next week we pick up our new Stavic! these things can take a BIG hit and keep you safe! (p.s. there was nothing left of the pulsar)

• 3 questions
  • 7 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2017 Badge: SPR

Amazing vehicle best value for your money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2015

Purchased at: Melbourne All Cars

• 5 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2017 Badge: SPR

Could you imagine how many of these you could sell if it had a different badge.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

These are a great value for money vehicle. Very roomy, great economy for a vehicle this size, very comfortable. Our kids (x5) are now getting older (hey 2 are now adults), and we needed a new car after our 1995 Tarago finally wore out. Looked around at all of the 7/8 seater vans around, and only stumbled onto the Stavic by accident. We didn't even know they existed. Ended up with the vehicle that meets our needs for nearly 1/2 the price. If this thing had a badge from a better known company in Australia, they would not be able to keep up with demand.
I would recommend to anyone to go and have a look, if your anything like us you will drive it away.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Rockingham

• 7 comments

Fantastic vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2015

I have had my Stavic for almost two years now and covered over 48000kms. Apart from sliding a road map under the front passenger seat which caused a minor electrical problem (computer wiring is under seat)fixed by dealer the car has been really great. I have been getting mid 8s Ltr/100kms which is good for a car of this size, it is quiet, comfortable and solid. The doors close with a nice clunk, the dash plastics are padded as are the top door trims. It is so easy to slide out the rear seat and when in place there is still heaps of luggage roo m. Little touches like rear air con vent in the roof just make life more comfortable for everyone. The only criticisms I have are the steering feel I would like a bit more and less understeer and better quality speakers. Would I buy another? Most definitely. This is the best value 7 seater people mover on the market by far. My 95 year old dad loves it too as it is so easy for him to get in and out of and he loves the big internal door pulls. Also great service from Bergman's my local dealer.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now completed 61000 Just had 60000 k service. Had a small problem with the engine light coming on intermittently. A camshaft sensor was replaced. Due for a set of break pads soon and the tyres will... read more »

Now 66800 kms Brake light switch failed and has been repaired under warranty. Problem is that the car would not go into gear because the circuit for the solonoid that allows the gear lever to move ... read more »

Recently had the 75000 km service and the car will be out of warrantee soon. I am having a couple of minor things done. The drivers internal door handle and the gear lever chrome is lifting and the... read more »

Generation: 2013-2017 Badge: SPR

Very good people mover for the price of sedan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2015

• 4 helpful votes

Great car - I love it, family loves it, why pay $20000+ more

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2015

I wanted a 7-seater and in the end decided I wanted a real 7-seater (i.e. one where an adult would be happy riding in any of the 7 seats), not one where the extra seats were an after-thought (hey, we have a bit of space, let's stick some seats in there).

As much as I wanted auto-parking (Honda Odyssey, or Citroen Grand Picasso - which adults would not be happy riding in the back of), I decided I was not prepared to pay the extra over the Stavic. A test drive of the Stavic convinced me that it is what I need.

It drives well, super-smooth a
uto gearbox (Mercedes Benz 5-speed). Steering is a bit bus-like, but that's expected from a vehicle this size. Fuel economy is just like a decent sized sedan. Even doing short trips around town I have never got to 10L/100km.

The seats are comfortable, there's heaps of space (I bought a dishwasher, just moved the seats forward a bit and put it in the back, and what's more, we can fit suitcases in the back without even moving the back seats forward).

Service costs are reasonable. I paid a bit over $200, providing my own oil, for the 1st 15000km service.

The engine is powerful, ample power for overtaking, ample power for heading to the snowfields or any hilly terrain. Don't be put off by a 2L engine. You don't need anything bigger.

The Stavic is big, so I had a reversing cam/GPS/audiovisual system installed. It's very useful, as you may need to choose a parking space wisely otherwise you'll have fun getting out.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The only negative (minor issue): a few squeaks from the seat sliding/folding mechanisms, but a keen ear and some WD-40 sort that out. Also, the cruise control is playing up but the dealer is fixing it under warranty (awaiting a part). Otherwise, extremely happy. If you want a 7-seater, look no further. You do not need to pay the extra $10-20K+ for the iMax, Odyssey, VW Multivan etc.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes