Generations:

Private message

Generation: 2013-2018

A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2014

We bought a brand new Stavic less than 24hours later it broke down; took the car back to the dealer 9/11/14 immediately, and asked for our money back; they asked to assess the car.
5 days later after many phone calls they told us there is a leak in the transmission.
The dealer kept the car with them over 9 days, Ssangyong dealers changed their story and told us the car oly needed calibration due to it sitting in the dealer ship for a while, and insisted their is nothing wrong with the car.
Their explanation made no sense.
Assured us there is nothing wrong with the car, over and over again. we took their word for it,
However it was still shaking and vibrating when we changed gears from reverse to drive.
Took it to a private transmission expert few days later, he test drove it and Told me to take it back there is definitely something wrong with it.

took the expert report to the dealer immediately.
The dealers mechanics emptied the transmission oil and found pieces of steel in the oil.
they decided to change the transmission.
Gave the car back to me insisting the problem is fix, they asked not to change gears quickly for a while for the car to adjust.
the car still has the same issues and more. it still shakes and vibrate when changes from reverse to drive and delays in taking off and the gear stick catches. SSangyong dealer had the car with them of 16 days to fix the problem yet the problem still there.
we went back to the dealer and demanded our money back or replacement.
they insisted that the manufacturer it is up to the manufacturer.
we called customer service of Ssangyong, not much help at all.
we are taking the dealer to Fair Trading.
My rating of this car is zero stars.

Generation: 2005-2013

Be warned

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2013

Loved it for first 2 years, then everything started going wrong. It started with a constant beeping that randomly turned on.Tten the brakes had to be redone for over a $1000. Then the dashboard/radio lights packed it in. Then the airconditioner went. Then the handbrake went, then the turbo failed requiring a new one for $2000. Then the transmission would randomly not get out of 1st or 2nd sometimes requiring scarey freeway rides. The cherry on top was travelling home on a sunday from a picnic when the engine started shaking violently and the noise forcing us to stop. It was towed across town. It cost us $1000s to get the diagnosis that there was bearing failure with metal scoring the injectors and pistons etc. Was told the cheapest fix was a short engine replacement and with everything would cost at least $13000. Not bad for a car that cost us over $46000 in 2005 new. The car was serviced about 3 months before it failed. This has got to be the greatest depreciation of any car known. We are left with a hulk worth $500 if we are lucky for scrap and a $3000 bill for diagnosis. For what its worth a nice letter will be sent to ssang yong, or should that be suck long....

Comments

What about the warranty cover. Does it not apply in this case. Since you have said 2 years. I assume the normal warranty is 3 years so you would have been within the warranty and Km period!!!!

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 25 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: 2005-2013

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2012

A good car to stay away from, although this car drives well the downside to being a low volume manufacturer is that there is a very small dealer network and very few parts available for them. Due to Ssangyong Australia changing hands so often, and offering next to no support to there dealers this dealer network only gets smaller every month. As a technician that used to work on them daily I feel sorry for my customers that were constantly left waiting months on end for parts that we could not get out of Ssangyong themselves.

+ Drives nice and is very comfortable, plenty of room for 7 adults in the car. Good fuel economy for the size of vehicle.

- Looks can be very polarising. The availability of parts especially panels is lacking, even if you have a minor accident the car can be off the road for months. Very poor resale value.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi Sheep I don't think you have owned a Stavic. You have to own one to really appreciate it. The best value for money MPV, reliable, spacious, practical and more than adequate engine. The only com... read more »

I have a static sometimes when I start it the 4wd light comes on I stop the engine for a minute sometimes it goes out but it can take quite a few times its annoying. Any ideas?

Barra asked on Jun 07, 2018

Answer this

Hi,
Just bought a 2103 stavic and the air bag light came on took it back to the dealer who cleared the codes and it has not come back. Take it to a dealer who can check the computer codes and then advise.

2005-2013

Hello, I have a 2005 stavic 2.7l turbo diesel and I have just did the starter motor my question is does anyone know where the location of the starter motor is & is it hard to replace yourself?

Kathleen M asked on May 17, 2018

Answer this

you can download a service manual [1200 pages] for free . just google it it got every think to much at times .
check the battery charge . terminals on battery and starter motor .

2013-Present

can you purchase these cars new in Rockhampton qld?

mavis may asked on Mar 24, 2018

See all 62 questions about SsangYong Stavic

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details