Generations:
Filter By:

Melbourne

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: May 2018

Looking for a used car - less than 150,000km, Seven Seater under $15,000.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

With 3 children turning into young adults and with my wife driving around 900 kms a week for work the old 2003 Magna Wagon as not going to last much longer. We had a budget of $15,000 for a used seven seater car/van. This money would get us into 10 year old Mazda CX9, Mitsuibishi Outlander, Honda Odyssey etc and a 2011 Kia Grand Carnival. All the cars we looked at had at least 120000 km on them and other than the KIA where 5 seats plus 2. Presently surprised when walking back to the car at the end of marathon sessions of talking to a variety of dealers at Car City, we stumbled across a 2013 Black Stavic that fitted our criteria 7 seats, turbo diesel, great boot space, tow bar, nice ride height with around 73,000kms for a drive away price of $14k. Picked it up and the wife has put on 3,000km in the past 2 weeks. Fuel economy is around 7 litres to the 100 and had to spend a little bit of money to get the rear camera to work as well as an plug and play wiring harness to get the media steering controls to work with the after market Sony Blue Tooth stereo.

Overall a great solution as the Stavic provides a roomy 7 seater, heating and air conditioning great, drives well and the most important thing is that the wife is happy. We got a good price on the car and around $200 dollars got the steering controls and the rear camera to work. You will need a rear camera as the car is 5.2m long which makes it fun reversing. I don't have the issue of discrepancy of speed mentioned in the previous review and need to take back under warranty as the indicator for the airbags came on. (will be fixed under warranty). Recommend that if you have a growing family this car does fit the bill and half the price of comparable cars from Toyota, Mazda and the like.

Price to get things working not covered by Used Car Warranty.
Rear Camera around $100. Blue Tooth Touch Screen Stereo for camera display and handsfree phone. Example sony xav-68bt around $300 second hand. Aerpro Harness have phone and steering controls work with after market unit around $140. Labour around $150 to install.

Sydney

• 1 helpful vote

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Dec 2016

A very nice, dutiful and economical car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

We purchased a Ssangyong Stavic in Dec 2016. We were looking for a 7 seater and were not decided on any particular brand. So, we shopped all around Sydney for 7 seaters. I browsed the internet and saw Ssangyong Stavic for the first time and found it pretty decent in pictures so we went to a dealer near us who told us that they don't stock Ssangyong anymore. We couldn't find any dealers nearby. So we started looking for other cars. We had a look at Honda Odyssey, Kia Carnival, Hyundai Santa Fe, Holden Captiva (I don't know if I have missed any). All of them were way too expensive and some were not roomy enough (Odyssey for example). By chance, I happened to find a Saangyong dealer in Parramatta and we went to have a look. We were quite impressed when we first entered the car. One of the USPs from my perspective was that the 2-2-3 seat arrangement which meant there was no need to collapse seats for the back seat entry. We also found the car very spacious and contained all the things we wanted from the car (nothing fancy but everything we needed). On top of that, the car was available for $28k which was by far the cheapest car around with all the specs we wished for. So, we bought the car and we are very pleased that we did. It runs beautifully and is quite quiet :) for a diesel car. The air-conditioning of the car is absolutely wonderful. It reaches all the seats with the top vents in place.
A friend of mine recently took it for a couple of weeks and did around 3k with seven adults and a boot full of stuff in the car. He has given me great feedback about the car. He has said that he got excellent mileage out of the car despite the full load. He told me that he never found the car wanting despite the full load.
The only slight niggle I have (which a few have pointed out already) is the speedo showing on an average 10% more speed than actual. When I first drove it on a freeway, almost all the cars overtook me despite the double demerit points and police around while I was myself driving at 110 km/h. So, I checked on an app and I found this out. Saangyong told me the following ("As per Australian Design Rule (ADR) 18 specified the accuracy of +/- 10% of the vehicles true speed when travelling over 40km/h. The speedometer must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10% plus 4 km/h.
· As your vehicle complies to the standards set by the ADR this cannot be altered.
We do not recommend you use alternative devices other than your speedometer as a guide to indicate the speed at which you are travelling.").
The manual boot light (which also others have already pointed out) is a bit of an issue.
But when it comes to car performance, I could not be more happier. I hope the dream run continues......

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Good Car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Have owned my stavic since new(2013), best value for my money. I love this car. Good space and my big family travels in comfort ( not squished) whilst there is respectable boot space. Very good car to run.

Ssangyong should keep improving the interior (plastics) ,incl the sound system (more powerful speakers)

• 4 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Awesome car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

Great car for the price. Minus a little trouble from the diff, needing a replacement under warranty, it's smooth to drive. A little slow on the uptake compared to the Triton, but hey fill it with kids and there's no rush. A maroon interior would be nice, but the grey is sufficient. I am having issues with the airbag light, due to get fixed for the third time under warranty, however. Heaps of boot space. Bluetooth works great. Maybe one day they will bring in the 9 seated version. 4wd too??.

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 32 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Exceeded my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2016

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my Stavic last month. I was in the market to buy a good value diesel 7 seaters and considered a number of diesel options including Holden Captiva, Isuzu MU-X, Hyundai iMax, Kia Carnival and Mitsubishi Outlander. After considering equipment levels, performance and pricing, eventually Narrowed down the choice to the Stavic, Isuzu & Captiva. Test driven the cars and though I was initially skeptical of the Korean brand, the Stavic pleasantly surprised me with a nice drive feel. The engine is quite punchy and VERY quiet for a diesel, I have friend who thought the Stavic had a petrol engine (from inside the car). Considering the overall value, the Stavic test-drive convinced me that's the right car for my family (second choice was Isuzu then Captiva).

As I have not owned the car for long, I can't comment on the long term reliability nor the servicing costs, etc. But I can't find too many people on the net complaining on their Ssangyongs or Isuzus (unlike the Captivas).However, throwing an objective point of views, Holden would have sold a lot more Captivas compared to Isuzu and Ssangyong's, so this may be a contributing factor to the number of ownership complaints.

For all it's worth, so far the car is really pleasant and comfortable to drive. The auto gear changes smoothly, steering and built quality feels OK, no rattles so far and less plasticky than many other Japanese/Korean offerings. Just about a few negatives I can think of was the unavailability of the trip computer and reverse camera, even as an option.(on the standard model). The internal"room" lights must be manually switched off (other than the front "door" lights) and do not go off automatically when the car doors are closed (which could drain the battery). The seats are a bit too soft for my liking but this is an individual preference.

However, these minor issues should not stop anyone from buying the Stavic, as it is still a great value proposition given the sub-$30k pricing (I was not even charged extra for metallic colour) and the equipment levels included in the overall package.

If you are considering a Stavic, I recommend you test-drive it. I am sure you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was when I test-driven one.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now at 13 mths ownership, the Stavic is still running strong, no issues, first service (at 12mths) done and the price at Dealership servicing was reasonable too at just over $400 mark for the annua... read more »

Verified Purchase Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Nice car but the warranty sucks!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2016

I like the Stavic, the service costs are very high, and the warranty is terrible. The minivan has a decent engine, lots of room, but feels very cheap. Two plastic parts inside the centre console broke during normal use. ParramattaAutoCentre refused to fix under their warranty or ACL. $345 Unhappy!

Adelaide

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Feb 2014

I loved this car ...... Until

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2016

I've always liked this car, so when looking for a people mover it was my first choice.
I purchased a new 2013 model Stavic In South Australia.
Pro's : Great fuel consumption 850km per tank on average , the back seats are removable, seven adults plus luggage fit easily, the middle walk thru isle is great as there's no need to fold seats to access back row, the cars interior is huge, it has four 12 volt chargers, all seven belts are lap sash seatbelts, the steering wheel features a radio control which could even change songs played via Bluetooth, and also changed radio channels and mode it also features cruise control on the other side which enables you to not only set the speed but accelerate or slow down via the controls .

Cons : There's no lockable storage space except the boot, the passenger doors are very large making it hard to park and allow adequate room to exit, after less than two years the chrome peeled off the front interior door handles, the hand holds broke after minimal use, the sun visor keeps dropping down, and the black exterior paint scratches easily. All except the paint were covered under the warranty , replacements were ordered but didn't arrive in the 15 weeks we waited for them.
Unfortunately my car was damaged in a accident and in ten weeks we never even received the price for replacement parts, let alone the parts
After 12 weeks with still no pricing my insurance company labelled it a financial writeoff .

Over all , the Stavic drove well and was a great family car, unfortunately parts aren't readily available and we've since replaced it with a different make of people mover.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Excellent car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

The car is excellent and runs well. It is also quite economical on fuel - does Canberra to Melbourne (650km) with three-quarter tank. And for sub 30K price, you can't go wrong.
Got to be careful with dealers though. The one in Canberra quoted more than twice the normal price to replace brake pad and rotor during service at odometer reading of 55000. Protested and called Ssangyong directly and was told to seek a second opinion. I ended up paying less than half the dealer's price.

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Early days but good so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2016

Quiet and comfortable on highway for 7-8 lts/100 kms. Surprisingly powerful. So far reliable (purchased with 33k, now 47k). As per other posts, has great interior room and tows well. Some cheap items such as rear wiper switch on dash rather than stalk, and aircon/ventilation system is confusing, but overall fantastic value for money. Bigger test will be reliability over long term. Also the local dealer is awful so have had to service elsewhere. But i agree with others, with better marketing, these would sell in far greater numbers. Best thing is to test drive and see for yourself. You too will be pleasantly surprised as it will exceed your expectations given its price.

Perth

Towing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2016

I have just had a requirement to tow a 6 x 4 trailer loaded with chipboard completely filling the trailer. The Stavic never even noticed the load.This vehicle continues to impress. I have just past 6000 kms. Still early days but I definitely recommend this 7 seat vehicle fuel economy has been 12 Kls. per lt. in a city 100/200 country drive.

• 14 helpful votes

Affordable practicality!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

I did much research prior to buying the Stavic.
Coming out of a Mitsubishi Delica, we needed at least as much space. Safety features were of high priority as the Delica had none.
Looked at vehicles by Kia, Honda, Mitsubishi, Benz, LDV, Hyundai and more.
Eventually narrowed the choice to the Stavic and the Kia Carnival. While in some ways i think the Kia is probably a better overall package, the price difference of more than twenty thousand dollars brought things into perspective.
We've had our Stavic for some time now and struggle to fault it.... engine is quiet and powerful and returns about 9.5l/100klm. Interior is extremely spacious and comfortable.
Heating, cooling, audio etc more than satisfactory. Ride is cushiony and smooth.
Suspension feel and light steering took some getting used to but love it now.
Best value people mover in Australia and if it displayed a better known badge it would be a big seller but no doubt carry a higher price tag.
Only complaints are: cup holders in front are pretty ordinary and the storage tray beneath the pull-out cup holders can't be accessed when the cup holders are in use. They are also unable to accommodate larger drinks/coffee cups etc.
The lack of a reversing camera was disappointing but not such an issue as to not buy the car.... an aftermarket option will suffice.
Also, the lack of SsangYong service departments in my area is an issue to some degree.
Just hope I don't need any warranty work done as my nearest service agent is two hours away.
Nevertheless, I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle and have recommended the SsangYong Stavic to others.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Toowoomba

Love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2016

Uncharacteriscally quiet for a diesel. Merc-sourced transmission is smooth.
Fuel consumption around 7L/100km-ish on the highway and about 9 mixed highway/urban.
Massive boot space. With the third row of seats removed, double that space.
Folding mirrors and reversing sensors handy in tight parking spaces.
Climate control works well, front and rear. Bluetooth handsfree just works.
Seats a bit firm but comfortable. When you realize what your getting for how comparatively little you're paying, you won't mind the relatively basic interiors.

Used in picky Singapore as a large cab. That's a vote of confidence.

Unfortunately, Ssangyong isn't a well-known brand in this part of the world. Had it been from a better known company heaps will be sold.

• 5 answers

Ssangyong Stavic

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2016

Performance great for 2.0L engine.
Handling comfortable on long trips, minimal engine noise.
Interior practical, can remove rear bench seat for more space.
Climate control air con works well for heating and cooling.
Plenty of legroom but wife finds the leather seats too firm.
Reliability excellent, servicing expensive, fuel 9.0-9.5l/100kms.

Perth

Underrated vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2016

A brilliant people mover, l purchased a 2016 Stavic and cannot fualt it admittedly I have only travelled 3000 kilometres . It's quiet for a diesel with plenty of power. I only wish that it had a reversing camera built in. Seating 7 adults with real leg room and a boot, it still keeps surprising me a real pleasure to drive.

Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia

• 7 answers

Ssangyong Stavic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2016

Used for touring in my photography business. Used on tour in National Parks on dirt, on long runs through the mountains and along the coast. Great vehicle, hasn't missed a beat. 30 thousand on the clock. So impressed my wife is looking at a Korando. Lots of space, large cargo area, removable back seat. Fuel around 9 L/100km. Easy access for all. Comfortable on 1000 km tours.

Melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Great Value For Your Money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

My car have done 71k on the clock in just over 2 years.....Running as new.Its very smooth and quite..we love our car..we even have a lexus rx450h but still we use our ssangyong for all the longer trips because it has so much room and kids love it.. In my personal opinion its an excellent family car for the price and surely its an under rated car.. so if you really after a good family car then go for it you will be pleased with your decision.. Because this car offers a lot more than what we pay it..We love our car.

• 3 questions
  • 7 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR

Amazing vehicle best value for your money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2015

We were looking at 7 seater for our growing family. We look at the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tarago and the Kia Carnival but they all cost over 45K. I then ask owner of Ssangyong Stavic on Product Review website. Went down to the Ssangyong dealership took the vehicle for a test drive I was happy and amazed with its performance. I then deposit and got a brand new Ssangyong Stavic SPR range which is the luxury for 35k including extra like Sat Navigation, Reverse Camera, Side Step, Slim Whethershield. I'm so glad that I bought this vehicle, I manage to get 700km plus on the normal day drive and over 1000km on long distance. We took it to Mt Buller for family road trip and I can tell you this vehicle got potential it was so smooth on long distance drive. My family love it and now my friend also want one as well. If you ever need a 7 seaters with roomy space you should checkout this vehicle.

Purchased at: Melbourne All Cars

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR

Could you imagine how many of these you could sell if it had a different badge.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

These are a great value for money vehicle. Very roomy, great economy for a vehicle this size, very comfortable. Our kids (x5) are now getting older (hey 2 are now adults), and we needed a new car after our 1995 Tarago finally wore out. Looked around at all of the 7/8 seater vans around, and only stumbled onto the Stavic by accident. We didn't even know they existed. Ended up with the vehicle that meets our needs for nearly 1/2 the price. If this thing had a badge from a better known company in Australia, they would not be able to keep up with demand.
I would recommend to anyone to go and have a look, if your anything like us you will drive it away.

Rockingham

• 10 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Fantastic vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2015

I have had my Stavic for almost two years now and covered over 48000kms. Apart from sliding a road map under the front passenger seat which caused a minor electrical problem (computer wiring is under seat)fixed by dealer the car has been really great. I have been getting mid 8s Ltr/100kms which is good for a car of this size, it is quiet, comfortable and solid. The doors close with a nice clunk, the dash plastics are padded as are the top door trims. It is so easy to slide out the rear seat and when in place there is still heaps of luggage room. Little touches like rear air con vent in the roof just make life more comfortable for everyone. The only criticisms I have are the steering feel I would like a bit more and less understeer and better quality speakers. Would I buy another? Most definitely. This is the best value 7 seater people mover on the market by far. My 95 year old dad loves it too as it is so easy for him to get in and out of and he loves the big internal door pulls. Also great service from Bergman's my local dealer.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now completed 61000 Just had 60000 k service. Had a small problem with the engine light coming on intermittently. A camshaft sensor was replaced. Due for a set of break pads soon and the tyres will... read more »

Now 66800 kms Brake light switch failed and has been repaired under warranty. Problem is that the car would not go into gear because the circuit for the solonoid that allows the gear lever to move ... read more »

Recently had the 75000 km service and the car will be out of warrantee soon. I am having a couple of minor things done. The drivers internal door handle and the gear lever chrome is lifting and the... read more »

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR

Very good people mover for the price of sedan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2015

Done 7000Km. No problem. Accidentally drove over kerbs over parking space, car jumped about without any damage. Fuel efficiency like a big sedan with enough power to overtake easily. Window glasses a bit loose but nothing otherwise wrong. Bought 2013 made 2014 compliant SPR with 31500 last year. Initially steering a bit too sensitive and needs time to get used to. Our old cars are nearly 20 yrs old that stavic steering needs a bit of getting used to for us. Leather seats are a bit firm. Climate control excellent. CD player and blue tooth average. Installed GPS with reverse camera. 4 star ANCAP rating is same as Hyundai imax. It is a steal price wise. Very happy. Kids are very happy too. Will buy another. Hopefully price will not go up. Cruise control, park sensors, auto lights, rain sensing wipers. Park sensors can even sense high kerbs. I will be stuck to this people mover for a long time.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes