Generations:
Filter By:
  • 19 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2012

Lovery car for a family,highly recommended,looks great on the road,different to the other mainstream manufacturers,to many narrow minded car reviewers ( jeremy clarkson) not bothering to analising ssangyongs honestly. Would buy another.

+ Excellent diesel engine /auto conbination,seats 7 very comfortably,better seat layout than Toyota/Mitsubishi.Excellent fuel economy for such a large car.Try and find a other van that can do all that and is rear wheel drive and pulls 2.5tons? We tow a car trailer and race car accross australia and a twin axle Jayco carivan no problem, the best all round family van on the market.

- Dont crash one,ours was off the road for 4 months (accidnt not our fault )but eventually fixed, not repairers fault but dealer ordering parts.This is the one and only bad thing I have found.

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Parts availability has improved massively since the Ateco takeover of Ssangyong distributorship. We had a little bingle in our Korando and the parts were in Adelaide within 2 weeks.

• 1 review
  • 10 helpful votes

The best people mover!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2012

We have had our 06 Stavic for 3 years and absolutely love it.
A few years back when we were looking for a people mover, some poor kids died when a Carnival caught fire and the sliding door stuck shut. As well as the potential for jamming fingers in the sliding door we decided to get a people mover that did not have a sliding door. Guess what, there is only one and that is the Stavic.
At first, friends and family begged us not to buy one as it was 'unknown'

We went ahead and bought one anyway as it was half the price of the other people movers with double the features. 3 years on we are purchasing our second Stavic, nothing wrong with our current one, it has not skipped a beat, we just want to re-refinance. All friends and family love it too, finding it endlessly versatile as very easy to drive. We will never buy another brand people mover again.

If you are after a people mover, do yourself a favor and add the Stavic to your test drive list, you won't be disappointed.

+ Price, features, drivability, versatility.

Purchased at: SsangYong Dealers

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

It might be a good people mover BUT it is the ugliest vehicle i have ever seen what were they thinking when they designed it?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't find it ugly at all.

You don't find it ugly? Even the Top Gear Guys said it is one of the ugliest car ever made

• 10 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2012

I have owned my Stavic for 8 months and am extremely happy with it. It fits two child seats with access between them to the rear seats and has more space behind the back seats than any other people mover that I have seen. It has also proved to be a very capable tow vehicle. After owning a wide variety of other vehicle, another impressive feature is the build quality.

+ Excellent economy and very comfortable

- Some people have suggested that she is ugly, obviously they need their eyes checked.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 25 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2012

A good car to stay away from, although this car drives well the downside to being a low volume manufacturer is that there is a very small dealer network and very few parts available for them. Due to Ssangyong Australia changing hands so often, and offering next to no support to there dealers this dealer network only gets smaller every month. As a technician that used to work on them daily I feel sorry for my customers that were constantly left waiting months on end for parts that we could not get out of Ssangyong themselves.

+ Drives nice and is very comfortable, plenty of room for 7 adults in the car. Good fuel economy for the size of vehicle.

- Looks can be very polarising. The availability of parts especially panels is lacking, even if you have a minor accident the car can be off the road for months. Very poor resale value.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi Sheep I don't think you have owned a Stavic. You have to own one to really appreciate it. The best value for money MPV, reliable, spacious, practical and more than adequate engine. The only com... read more »

Hillarys, WA

• 14 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2012

The best is value for money, you can buy a new Stavic for the same price as a 2006 Tarago with 40000 kms on the clock and it is diesel. The fuel economy is great, 8.7ltrs/100kms and there is plenty of room and comes with all the fruit. My family loves it. We had a Tarago previously and this vehicle beats it hands down.

+ Great car. people say it is ugly but I think that this people mover isnt as daggy as what the Tarago looks and is a lot nicer to drive. Took one test drive of the new Stavic and was sold there and then. Bought it the next day.

- An option of a 8 seater would be good and easy rear folding seats. The seats are way to heavy for my wife to pull out if you want the extra space in the rear.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 15 helpful votes

Generation: 2005-2013

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2012

I love the car, it drives smooth and has not trouble handling the road and hills with cruise control on, the features are great and placed well in the car. The service centre in Bundoora is awesome and helpful and friendly - DO NOT USE BAYSWATER they do not do what they promise.

+ beautiful to drive, has everything you need, cup holders, cassette, cd, radio, under seat storage, glasses case, tray in the rear, plenty of charging outlets, spacious, carpet comes out to be washed in machine, has a mercedes engine without the proce tag

- the back seats have to be taken out and they are very heavy, Can not remove the middle seats, did not come with tinted windows

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2012

overall i love this vehicle i would buy another one tommorow lots of power huge fuel economy very comfortable i drove from SA to WA 2200kms in 2 days and loved every second of it wasnt aching as you would in most cars good to go four wheel driving in could be a little higher though but to rap it up well done to ssangyong

+ excellent people mover i bought the sv270 sports plus 12 months ago loved it that much i have just bought the 2.7 4x4 limited love it even more and as for peoples comments on the styling have another look

- 8 seater would of been nice blind spot for drivers looking to the left of windscreen (rear view mirror) and not much sight out of the back window

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018

7 Seaters Compare - SsangYong Stavic vs Hyundai Imax vs Kia Carnival vs Honda Odyssey vs Volkswagen

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2014

The reason you reading this article is because you want a car with space 7 seats and having all the accessories such as GPS navigation, reverse camera, bluetooth, MP3, USB, Side Steps, Leather seat, turbo Diesel, Less than 10L/100KM, Ability to Slide the back row of seats out and ability to hook Roof Rack, towbar ....yes you can have it all with the Ssangyong Stavic for less than $35K drive away

In term of space the SsangYong Stavic length is as long as the Hyundai Imax and Volkswagen Multivan. However the Imax the seat is fixed. As for the Volkswagen Multivan ok the seat configuration is great but prepare to pay extra 20K for all the features mention above same as the Kia Carnival. As for Honda Odyssey for get about the space... there is no space.

Now in term of price the Hyundai Imax Diesel i-Max Total driveaway is about $42850, Kia Carnival Black MY14 CRDi Platium Total Amount Payable 52,800.00, Volkswagen multivan if you want all the feature above expect to pay more than $67,012.10 for Volkswagen Multivan Highline TDI400 7 Spd DSG. The Honda Odyssey we did not obtain a quote but it would be same range as Kia Carnival which is about $52,000 drive away with all the features listed above. Remember these price only apply because I negotiate hard. Expect to pay extra $5000-$7000 more :)

For price Comparison the Stavic price different with the Imax is $7850, price difference with Kia carnival $17800, Price different with Volkswagen Multivan $32,000 (I can buy another SsangYong Stavic as a spare :) with this hehehe) , price diffence with Odyssey is $17,800 and comparison with Mercedes-Benz, Viano the different is $45,000

So far I have driven 5000 KM so I'm about to due for my first service. From what I understand Service cost for Stavic is about $450-$500
Other will properly have the same service cost unless it is capped which I think it about $100 cheaper with KIA

With the price differences above you can use that money put in the bank to off set your mortgage and use that money to service the car for next 10-15 years and you still have spare. And in the case of Volkswagen Multivan and Mercedes-Benz, Viano the difference is $32,000, $45,000 you might as well buy 2 of the Stavic and leave 1 spare in the garage :)

Reliable ok .... there are bad review here this is because these people purchase the first generation ie Stavic before August 2013 .....if you read ....anyone who purchase the car after August 2013 they all rave and love the car....like anything Bad news or a stink travels further and fast than anything :)... sh!t happen to with any new car ...... doesn't matter what brand...just Google it and you will find some major issue with someone...somewhere... you will find majority people who purchase the first generation is complaining and curse they will never buy another one :) .....so you need to compare orange with orange.

Ok I got to admit I only drive 5000KM in my first month so I can not comment the reliability for the long run yet.... I will write another review with the next service 10,000KM and so on.....and yes ... if sh!t happen then I will be the first to complain it here :)

For me technology have moving so fast... a car cheap car like Hyundai or SsangYong in 2015 will have more advance and better technology reliability than a expensive car like Volkswagen Multivan which build in 2009 ... If you service on time and well look after your car it should serve you well at least 5 to 10 years ... and it time to get a new car anyway after 10 years.

So why go for a second hand car while you could go for brand new car with 3 year warranty for the same price as a second hand Volkswagen Multivan

If you buy and sell car then forget it...as value of Stavic will not hold ...but with the price difference above you still can afford to buy a new one in 5 or 10 years times :)

As for accessories I recommend to install reverse camera as the car is long and big and install the after market GPS navigation, reverse camera, bluetooth, MP3, USB...since these are more advance and more superior then Hyundai Imax - Kia Carnival - Honda Odyssey - Volkswagen Multivan factory OEM.

With safety - The first generation of Stavic... Ssangyong was to scare to perform a safety testing rating but with the new generation it about 0.5 or 1 star less than Kia Carnival - Honda Odyssey - Volkswagen Multivan

Final last word before my next review....do your self a favour go and test drive a Stavic and compare.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia

• 7 answers

Ssangyong Stavic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2016

Used for touring in my photography business. Used on tour in National Parks on dirt, on long runs through the mountains and along the coast. Great vehicle, hasn't missed a beat. 30 thousand on the clock. So impressed my wife is looking at a Korando. Lots of space, large cargo area, removable back seat. Fuel around 9 L/100km. Easy access for all. Comfortable on 1000 km tours.

• 3 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Transmission: Automatic

Could you imagine how many of these you could sell if it had a different badge.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

These are a great value for money vehicle. Very roomy, great economy for a vehicle this size, very comfortable. Our kids (x5) are now getting older (hey 2 are now adults), and we needed a new car after our 1995 Tarago finally wore out. Looked around at all of the 7/8 seater vans around, and only stumbled onto the Stavic by accident. We didn't even know they existed. Ended up with the vehicle that meets our needs for nearly 1/2 the price. If this thing had a badge from a better known company in Australia, they would not be able to keep up with demand.
I would recommend to anyone to go and have a look, if your anything like us you will drive it away.

Rockingham

• 11 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

Fantastic vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2015

I have had my Stavic for almost two years now and covered over 48000kms. Apart from sliding a road map under the front passenger seat which caused a minor electrical problem (computer wiring is under seat)fixed by dealer the car has been really great. I have been getting mid 8s Ltr/100kms which is good for a car of this size, it is quiet, comfortable and solid. The doors close with a nice clunk, the dash plastics are padded as are the top door trims. It is so easy to slide out the rear seat and when in place there is still heaps of luggage room. Little touches like rear air con vent in the roof just make life more comfortable for everyone. The only criticisms I have are the steering feel I would like a bit more and less understeer and better quality speakers. Would I buy another? Most definitely. This is the best value 7 seater people mover on the market by far. My 95 year old dad loves it too as it is so easy for him to get in and out of and he loves the big internal door pulls. Also great service from Bergman's my local dealer.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now completed 61000 Just had 60000 k service. Had a small problem with the engine light coming on intermittently. A camshaft sensor was replaced. Due for a set of break pads soon and the tyres will... read more »

Now 66800 kms Brake light switch failed and has been repaired under warranty. Problem is that the car would not go into gear because the circuit for the solonoid that allows the gear lever to move ... read more »

Recently had the 75000 km service and the car will be out of warrantee soon. I am having a couple of minor things done. The drivers internal door handle and the gear lever chrome is lifting and the... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 23 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: Sports

great people mover

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2015

Was not sure about this car but I am so happy with it. It's quiet, spacious. Can fit 7 adults and still has a large boot. It feels modern and while not overly luxurious it doesn't feel like a budget car. I have the sports model. ( that's right - a sporty 7 seater ☺) it's ok with fuel. It's got power. Its damn good looking in black. I've had the car for over a year and it hasn't given me any problems. The only annoying thing about this car is the light in the boot area is manual so it doesn't go on and off with the rest of the car lights and I have forgotten to turn it off many times when getting the groceries.

• 1 question
  • 14 helpful votes

Affordable practicality!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

I did much research prior to buying the Stavic.
Coming out of a Mitsubishi Delica, we needed at least as much space. Safety features were of high priority as the Delica had none.
Looked at vehicles by Kia, Honda, Mitsubishi, Benz, LDV, Hyundai and more.
Eventually narrowed the choice to the Stavic and the Kia Carnival. While in some ways i think the Kia is probably a better overall package, the price difference of more than twenty thousand dollars brought things into perspective.
We've had our Stavic for some time now and struggle to fault it.... engine is quiet and powerful and returns about 9.5l/100klm. Interior is extremely spacious and comfortable.
Heating, cooling, audio etc more than satisfactory. Ride is cushiony and smooth.
Suspension feel and light steering took some getting used to but love it now.
Best value people mover in Australia and if it displayed a better known badge it would be a big seller but no doubt carry a higher price tag.
Only complaints are: cup holders in front are pretty ordinary and the storage tray beneath the pull-out cup holders can't be accessed when the cup holders are in use. They are also unable to accommodate larger drinks/coffee cups etc.
The lack of a reversing camera was disappointing but not such an issue as to not buy the car.... an aftermarket option will suffice.
Also, the lack of SsangYong service departments in my area is an issue to some degree.
Just hope I don't need any warranty work done as my nearest service agent is two hours away.
Nevertheless, I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle and have recommended the SsangYong Stavic to others.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: 2005-2013 Badge: Sports Transmission: Manual

About to take ownership of #2

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2015

We bought a 2006 model in 2013, low kms, and it was a very tidy car, unfortunately Stavros was T-Boned, by what we suspect to be a speeding (cant be proven) driver, he ploughed his pulsar into the driver door. The door though caved in on the outside, had the safety bar in the door that was still straight and solid, the door still opened and closed, it protected my wife perfectly... unfortunately the hit was so big though that the motor sheared off its mounts and the car was written off, so after a few months of waiting, next week we pick up our new Stavic! these things can take a BIG hit and keep you safe! (p.s. there was nothing left of the pulsar)

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Transmission: Automatic

Very good people mover for the price of sedan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2015

Done 7000Km. No problem. Accidentally drove over kerbs over parking space, car jumped about without any damage. Fuel efficiency like a big sedan with enough power to overtake easily. Window glasses a bit loose but nothing otherwise wrong. Bought 2013 made 2014 compliant SPR with 31500 last year. Initially steering a bit too sensitive and needs time to get used to. Our old cars are nearly 20 yrs old that stavic steering needs a bit of getting used to for us. Leather seats are a bit firm. Climate control excellent. CD player and blue tooth average. Installed GPS with reverse camera. 4 star ANCAP rating is same as Hyundai imax. It is a steal price wise. Very happy. Kids are very happy too. Will buy another. Hopefully price will not go up. Cruise control, park sensors, auto lights, rain sensing wipers. Park sensors can even sense high kerbs. I will be stuck to this people mover for a long time.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2014

I loved this car ...... Until

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2016

I've always liked this car, so when looking for a people mover it was my first choice.
I purchased a new 2013 model Stavic In South Australia.
Pro's : Great fuel consumption 850km per tank on average , the back seats are removable, seven adults plus luggage fit easily, the middle walk thru isle is great as there's no need to fold seats to access back row, the cars interior is huge, it has four 12 volt chargers, all seven belts are lap sash seatbelts, the steering wheel features a radio control which could even change songs played via Bluetooth, and also changed radio channels and mode it also features cruise control on the other side which enables you to not only set the speed but accelerate or slow down via the controls .

Cons : There's no lockable storage space except the boot, the passenger doors are very large making it hard to park and allow adequate room to exit, after less than two years the chrome peeled off the front interior door handles, the hand holds broke after minimal use, the sun visor keeps dropping down, and the black exterior paint scratches easily. All except the paint were covered under the warranty , replacements were ordered but didn't arrive in the 15 weeks we waited for them.
Unfortunately my car was damaged in a accident and in ten weeks we never even received the price for replacement parts, let alone the parts
After 12 weeks with still no pricing my insurance company labelled it a financial writeoff .

Over all , the Stavic drove well and was a great family car, unfortunately parts aren't readily available and we've since replaced it with a different make of people mover.

Private message

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Excellent car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

The car is excellent and runs well. It is also quite economical on fuel - does Canberra to Melbourne (650km) with three-quarter tank. And for sub 30K price, you can't go wrong.
Got to be careful with dealers though. The one in Canberra quoted more than twice the normal price to replace brake pad and rotor during service at odometer reading of 55000. Protested and called Ssangyong directly and was told to seek a second opinion. I ended up paying less than half the dealer's price.

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Early days but good so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2016

Quiet and comfortable on highway for 7-8 lts/100 kms. Surprisingly powerful. So far reliable (purchased with 33k, now 47k). As per other posts, has great interior room and tows well. Some cheap items such as rear wiper switch on dash rather than stalk, and aircon/ventilation system is confusing, but overall fantastic value for money. Bigger test will be reliability over long term. Also the local dealer is awful so have had to service elsewhere. But i agree with others, with better marketing, these would sell in far greater numbers. Best thing is to test drive and see for yourself. You too will be pleasantly surprised as it will exceed your expectations given its price.

Melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Great Value For Your Money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2016

My car have done 71k on the clock in just over 2 years.....Running as new.Its very smooth and quite..we love our car..we even have a lexus rx450h but still we use our ssangyong for all the longer trips because it has so much room and kids love it.. In my personal opinion its an excellent family car for the price and surely its an under rated car.. so if you really after a good family car then go for it you will be pleased with your decision.. Because this car offers a lot more than what we pay it..We love our car.

Great car - I love it, family loves it, why pay $20000+ more

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2015

I wanted a 7-seater and in the end decided I wanted a real 7-seater (i.e. one where an adult would be happy riding in any of the 7 seats), not one where the extra seats were an after-thought (hey, we have a bit of space, let's stick some seats in there).

As much as I wanted auto-parking (Honda Odyssey, or Citroen Grand Picasso - which adults would not be happy riding in the back of), I decided I was not prepared to pay the extra over the Stavic. A test drive of the Stavic convinced me that it is what I need.

It drives well, super-smooth auto gearbox (Mercedes Benz 5-speed). Steering is a bit bus-like, but that's expected from a vehicle this size. Fuel economy is just like a decent sized sedan. Even doing short trips around town I have never got to 10L/100km.

The seats are comfortable, there's heaps of space (I bought a dishwasher, just moved the seats forward a bit and put it in the back, and what's more, we can fit suitcases in the back without even moving the back seats forward).

Service costs are reasonable. I paid a bit over $200, providing my own oil, for the 1st 15000km service.

The engine is powerful, ample power for overtaking, ample power for heading to the snowfields or any hilly terrain. Don't be put off by a 2L engine. You don't need anything bigger.

The Stavic is big, so I had a reversing cam/GPS/audiovisual system installed. It's very useful, as you may need to choose a parking space wisely otherwise you'll have fun getting out.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The only negative (minor issue): a few squeaks from the seat sliding/folding mechanisms, but a keen ear and some WD-40 sort that out. Also, the cruise control is playing up but the dealer is fixing it under warranty (awaiting a part). Otherwise, extremely happy. If you want a 7-seater, look no further. You do not need to pay the extra $10-20K+ for the iMax, Odyssey, VW Multivan etc.

1 of 3 pages