Generations:

Sydney, Australia

Generation: 2013-2018

A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2014

We bought a brand new Stavic less than 24hours later it broke down; took the car back to the dealer 9/11/14 immediately, and asked for our money back; they asked to assess the car.
5 days later after many phone calls they told us there is a leak in the transmission.
The dealer kept the car with them over 9 days, Ssangyong dealers changed their story and told us the car oly needed calibration due to it sitting in the dealer ship for a while, and insisted their is nothing wrong with the car.
Their explanation made no sense.
Assured us there is nothing wrong with the car, over and over again. we took their word for it,
However it was still shaking and vibrating when we changed gears from reverse to drive.
Took it to a private transmission expert few days later, he test drove it and Told me to take it back there is definitely something wrong with it.

took the expert report to the dealer immediately.
The dealers mechanics emptied the transmission oil and found pieces of steel in the oil.
they decided to change the transmission.
Gave the car back to me insisting the problem is fix, they asked not to change gears quickly for a while for the car to adjust.
the car still has the same issues and more. it still shakes and vibrate when changes from reverse to drive and delays in taking off and the gear stick catches. SSangyong dealer had the car with them of 16 days to fix the problem yet the problem still there.
we went back to the dealer and demanded our money back or replacement.
they insisted that the manufacturer it is up to the manufacturer.
we called customer service of Ssangyong, not much help at all.
we are taking the dealer to Fair Trading.
My rating of this car is zero stars.

Be warned

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2013

Loved it for first 2 years, then everything started going wrong. It started with a constant beeping that randomly turned on.Tten the brakes had to be redone for over a $1000. Then the dashboard/radio lights packed it in. Then the airconditioner went. Then the handbrake went, then the turbo failed requiring a new one for $2000. Then the transmission would randomly not get out of 1st or 2nd sometimes requiring scarey freeway rides. The cherry on top was travelling home on a sunday from a picnic when the engine started shaking violently and the noise forcing us to stop. It was towed across town. It cost us $1000s to get the diagnosis that there was bearing failure with metal scoring the injectors and pistons etc. Was told the cheapest fix was a short engine replacement and with everything would cost at least $13000. Not bad for a car that cost us over $46000 in 2005 new. The car was serviced about 3 months before it failed. This has got to be the greatest depreciation of any car known. We are left with a hulk worth $500 if we are lucky for scrap and a $3000 bill for diagnosis. For what its worth a nice letter will be sent to ssang yong, or should that be suck long....

Comments

What about the warranty cover. Does it not apply in this case. Since you have said 2 years. I assume the normal warranty is 3 years so you would have been within the warranty and Km period!!!!

• 25 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2012

A good car to stay away from, although this car drives well the downside to being a low volume manufacturer is that there is a very small dealer network and very few parts available for them. Due to Ssangyong Australia changing hands so often, and offering next to no support to there dealers this dealer network only gets smaller every month. As a technician that used to work on them daily I feel sorry for my customers that were constantly left waiting months on end for parts that we could not get out of Ssangyong themselves.

+ Drives nice and is very comfortable, plenty of room for 7 adults in the car. Good fuel economy for the size of vehicle.

- Looks can be very polarising. The availability of parts especially panels is lacking, even if you have a minor accident the car can be off the road for months. Very poor resale value.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi Sheep I don't think you have owned a Stavic. You have to own one to really appreciate it. The best value for money MPV, reliable, spacious, practical and more than adequate engine. The only com... read more »

Verified Purchase Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Nice car but the warranty sucks!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2016

I like the Stavic, the service costs are very high, and the warranty is terrible. The minivan has a decent engine, lots of room, but feels very cheap. Two plastic parts inside the centre console broke during normal use. ParramattaAutoCentre refused to fix under their warranty or ACL. $345 Unhappy!

Warialda

Generation: 2013-2018

2014 stavic slow to go

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2015

Our stavic speedo is out 100kms on gps is 92kms, and 100kms on gps is 110kms on speedo, was told that it can be fixed but not under warranty at my cost, is a fault from factory. had ours 4 weeks and just about to go in and have first check

Sydney

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Dec 2016

A very nice, dutiful and economical car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

We purchased a Ssangyong Stavic in Dec 2016. We were looking for a 7 seater and were not decided on any particular brand. So, we shopped all around Sydney for 7 seaters. I browsed the internet and saw Ssangyong Stavic for the first time and found it pretty decent in pictures so we went to a dealer near us who told us that they don't stock Ssangyong anymore. We couldn't find any dealers nearby. So we started looking for other cars. We had a look at Honda Odyssey, Kia Carnival, Hyundai Santa Fe, Holden Captiva (I don't know if I have missed any). All of them were way too expensive and some were not roomy enough (Odyssey for example). By chance, I happened to find a Saangyong dealer in Parramatta and we went to have a look. We were quite impressed when we first entered the car. One of the USPs from my perspective was that the 2-2-3 seat arrangement which meant there was no need to collapse seats for the back seat entry. We also found the car very spacious and contained all the things we wanted from the car (nothing fancy but everything we needed). On top of that, the car was available for $28k which was by far the cheapest car around with all the specs we wished for. So, we bought the car and we are very pleased that we did. It runs beautifully and is quite quiet :) for a diesel car. The air-conditioning of the car is absolutely wonderful. It reaches all the seats with the top vents in place.
A friend of mine recently took it for a couple of weeks and did around 3k with seven adults and a boot full of stuff in the car. He has given me great feedback about the car. He has said that he got excellent mileage out of the car despite the full load. He told me that he never found the car wanting despite the full load.
The only slight niggle I have (which a few have pointed out already) is the speedo showing on an average 10% more speed than actual. When I first drove it on a freeway, almost all the cars overtook me despite the double demerit points and police around while I was myself driving at 110 km/h. So, I checked on an app and I found this out. Saangyong told me the following ("As per Australian Design Rule (ADR) 18 specified the accuracy of +/- 10% of the vehicles true speed when travelling over 40km/h. The speedometer must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10% plus 4 km/h.
· As your vehicle complies to the standards set by the ADR this cannot be altered.
We do not recommend you use alternative devices other than your speedometer as a guide to indicate the speed at which you are travelling.").
The manual boot light (which also others have already pointed out) is a bit of an issue.
But when it comes to car performance, I could not be more happier. I hope the dream run continues......

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Good Car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Have owned my stavic since new(2013), best value for my money. I love this car. Good space and my big family travels in comfort ( not squished) whilst there is respectable boot space. Very good car to run.

Ssangyong should keep improving the interior (plastics) ,incl the sound system (more powerful speakers)

Adelaide

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Feb 2014

I loved this car ...... Until

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2016

I've always liked this car, so when looking for a people mover it was my first choice.
I purchased a new 2013 model Stavic In South Australia.
Pro's : Great fuel consumption 850km per tank on average , the back seats are removable, seven adults plus luggage fit easily, the middle walk thru isle is great as there's no need to fold seats to access back row, the cars interior is huge, it has four 12 volt chargers, all seven belts are lap sash seatbelts, the steering wheel features a radio control which could even change songs played via Bluetooth, and also changed radio channels and mode it also features cruise control on the other side which enables you to not only set the speed but accelerate or slow down via the controls .

Cons : There's no lockable storage space except the boot, the passenger doors are very large making it hard to park and allow adequate room to exit, after less than two years the chrome peeled off the front interior door handles, the hand holds broke after minimal use, the sun visor keeps dropping down, and the black exterior paint scratches easily. All except the paint were covered under the warranty , replacements were ordered but didn't arrive in the 15 weeks we waited for them.
Unfortunately my car was damaged in a accident and in ten weeks we never even received the price for replacement parts, let alone the parts
After 12 weeks with still no pricing my insurance company labelled it a financial writeoff .

Over all , the Stavic drove well and was a great family car, unfortunately parts aren't readily available and we've since replaced it with a different make of people mover.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Excellent car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

The car is excellent and runs well. It is also quite economical on fuel - does Canberra to Melbourne (650km) with three-quarter tank. And for sub 30K price, you can't go wrong.
Got to be careful with dealers though. The one in Canberra quoted more than twice the normal price to replace brake pad and rotor during service at odometer reading of 55000. Protested and called Ssangyong directly and was told to seek a second opinion. I ended up paying less than half the dealer's price.

• 5 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR

Ssangyong Stavic

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2016

Performance great for 2.0L engine.
Handling comfortable on long trips, minimal engine noise.
Interior practical, can remove rear bench seat for more space.
Climate control air con works well for heating and cooling.
Plenty of legroom but wife finds the leather seats too firm.
Reliability excellent, servicing expensive, fuel 9.0-9.5l/100kms.

• 3 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 47 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 Badge: SPR

Great solid car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2013

Just seen the SPR in the flesh for the first time today. The leather seats make a big difference to the overall ambiance of the car. Also one of the problems is that on the base model there the speedo is in the middle and difficult to see is solved - the SPR puts a digital odometer behind the steering wheel.

I have created a Facebook group for people who own a Ssangyong Stavic, or are thinking about buying one.

• 15 helpful votes

Generation: 2005-2013

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2012

I love the car, it drives smooth and has not trouble handling the road and hills with cruise control on, the features are great and placed well in the car. The service centre in Bundoora is awesome and helpful and friendly - DO NOT USE BAYSWATER they do not do what they promise.

+ beautiful to drive, has everything you need, cup holders, cassette, cd, radio, under seat storage, glasses case, tray in the rear, plenty of charging outlets, spacious, carpet comes out to be washed in machine, has a mercedes engine without the proce tag

- the back seats have to be taken out and they are very heavy, Can not remove the middle seats, did not come with tinted windows

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 2 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: May 2018

Looking for a used car - less than 150,000km, Seven Seater under $15,000.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

With 3 children turning into young adults and with my wife driving around 900 kms a week for work the old 2003 Magna Wagon as not going to last much longer. We had a budget of $15,000 for a used seven seater car/van. This money would get us into 10 year old Mazda CX9, Mitsuibishi Outlander, Honda Odyssey etc and a 2011 Kia Grand Carnival. All the cars we looked at had at least 120000 km on them and other than the KIA where 5 seats plus 2. Presently surprised when walking back to the car at the end of marathon sessions of talking to a variety of dealers at Car City, we stumbled across a 2013 Black Stavic that fitted our criteria 7 seats, turbo diesel, great boot space, tow bar, nice ride height with around 73,000kms for a drive away price of $14k. Picked it up and the wife has put on 3,000km in the past 2 weeks. Fuel economy is around 7 litres to the 100 and had to spend a little bit of money to get the rear camera to work as well as an plug and play wiring harness to get the media steering controls to work with the after market Sony Blue Tooth stereo.

Overall a great solution as the Stavic provides a roomy 7 seater, heating and air conditioning great, drives well and the most important thing is that the wife is happy. We got a good price on the car and around $200 dollars got the steering controls and the rear camera to work. You will need a rear camera as the car is 5.2m long which makes it fun reversing. I don't have the issue of discrepancy of speed mentioned in the previous review and need to take back under warranty as the indicator for the airbags came on. (will be fixed under warranty). Recommend that if you have a growing family this car does fit the bill and half the price of comparable cars from Toyota, Mazda and the like.

Price to get things working not covered by Used Car Warranty.
Rear Camera around $100. Blue Tooth Touch Screen Stereo for camera display and handsfree phone. Example sony xav-68bt around $300 second hand. Aerpro Harness have phone and steering controls work with after market unit around $140. Labour around $150 to install.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

6 weeks later and 8000ks. No issiues, kids love it. They sit in the bsck seat and use the folded down captains chairs as a foot rest. First service was the 75k was $382 for air filter engine, tr... read more »

• 4 answers

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Awesome car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

Great car for the price. Minus a little trouble from the diff, needing a replacement under warranty, it's smooth to drive. A little slow on the uptake compared to the Triton, but hey fill it with kids and there's no rush. A maroon interior would be nice, but the grey is sufficient. I am having issues with the airbag light, due to get fixed for the third time under warranty, however. Heaps of boot space. Bluetooth works great. Maybe one day they will bring in the 9 seated version. 4wd too??.

Sydney

• 32 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Exceeded my expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2016

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my Stavic last month. I was in the market to buy a good value diesel 7 seaters and considered a number of diesel options including Holden Captiva, Isuzu MU-X, Hyundai iMax, Kia Carnival and Mitsubishi Outlander. After considering equipment levels, performance and pricing, eventually Narrowed down the choice to the Stavic, Isuzu & Captiva. Test driven the cars and though I was initially skeptical of the Korean brand, the Stavic pleasantly surprised me with a nice drive feel. The engine is quite punchy and VERY quiet for a diesel, I have friend who thought the Stavic had a petrol engine (from inside the car). Considering the overall value, the Stavic test-drive convinced me that's the right car for my family (second choice was Isuzu then Captiva).

As I have not owned the car for long, I can't comment on the long term reliability nor the servicing costs, etc. But I can't find too many people on the net complaining on their Ssangyongs or Isuzus (unlike the Captivas).However, throwing an objective point of views, Holden would have sold a lot more Captivas compared to Isuzu and Ssangyong's, so this may be a contributing factor to the number of ownership complaints.

For all it's worth, so far the car is really pleasant and comfortable to drive. The auto gear changes smoothly, steering and built quality feels OK, no rattles so far and less plasticky than many other Japanese/Korean offerings. Just about a few negatives I can think of was the unavailability of the trip computer and reverse camera, even as an option.(on the standard model). The internal"room" lights must be manually switched off (other than the front "door" lights) and do not go off automatically when the car doors are closed (which could drain the battery). The seats are a bit too soft for my liking but this is an individual preference.

However, these minor issues should not stop anyone from buying the Stavic, as it is still a great value proposition given the sub-$30k pricing (I was not even charged extra for metallic colour) and the equipment levels included in the overall package.

If you are considering a Stavic, I recommend you test-drive it. I am sure you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was when I test-driven one.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now at 13 mths ownership, the Stavic is still running strong, no issues, first service (at 12mths) done and the price at Dealership servicing was reasonable too at just over $400 mark for the annua... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: 2013-2018 No Badge Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Early days but good so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2016

Quiet and comfortable on highway for 7-8 lts/100 kms. Surprisingly powerful. So far reliable (purchased with 33k, now 47k). As per other posts, has great interior room and tows well. Some cheap items such as rear wiper switch on dash rather than stalk, and aircon/ventilation system is confusing, but overall fantastic value for money. Bigger test will be reliability over long term. Also the local dealer is awful so have had to service elsewhere. But i agree with others, with better marketing, these would sell in far greater numbers. Best thing is to test drive and see for yourself. You too will be pleasantly surprised as it will exceed your expectations given its price.

Perth

• 3 answers

Towing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2016

I have just had a requirement to tow a 6 x 4 trailer loaded with chipboard completely filling the trailer. The Stavic never even noticed the load.This vehicle continues to impress. I have just past 6000 kms. Still early days but I definitely recommend this 7 seat vehicle fuel economy has been 12 Kls. per lt. in a city 100/200 country drive.

• 14 helpful votes

Affordable practicality!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

I did much research prior to buying the Stavic.
Coming out of a Mitsubishi Delica, we needed at least as much space. Safety features were of high priority as the Delica had none.
Looked at vehicles by Kia, Honda, Mitsubishi, Benz, LDV, Hyundai and more.
Eventually narrowed the choice to the Stavic and the Kia Carnival. While in some ways i think the Kia is probably a better overall package, the price difference of more than twenty thousand dollars brought things into perspective.
We've had our Stavic for some time now and struggle to fault it.... engine is quiet and powerful and returns about 9.5l/100klm. Interior is extremely spacious and comfortable.
Heating, cooling, audio etc more than satisfactory. Ride is cushiony and smooth.
Suspension feel and light steering took some getting used to but love it now.
Best value people mover in Australia and if it displayed a better known badge it would be a big seller but no doubt carry a higher price tag.
Only complaints are: cup holders in front are pretty ordinary and the storage tray beneath the pull-out cup holders can't be accessed when the cup holders are in use. They are also unable to accommodate larger drinks/coffee cups etc.
The lack of a reversing camera was disappointing but not such an issue as to not buy the car.... an aftermarket option will suffice.
Also, the lack of SsangYong service departments in my area is an issue to some degree.
Just hope I don't need any warranty work done as my nearest service agent is two hours away.
Nevertheless, I am extremely satisfied with the vehicle and have recommended the SsangYong Stavic to others.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Toowoomba

Love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2016

Uncharacteriscally quiet for a diesel. Merc-sourced transmission is smooth.
Fuel consumption around 7L/100km-ish on the highway and about 9 mixed highway/urban.
Massive boot space. With the third row of seats removed, double that space.
Folding mirrors and reversing sensors handy in tight parking spaces.
Climate control works well, front and rear. Bluetooth handsfree just works.
Seats a bit firm but comfortable. When you realize what your getting for how comparatively little you're paying, you won't mind the relatively basic interiors.

Used in picky Singapore as a large cab. That's a vote of confidence.

Unfortunately, Ssangyong isn't a well-known brand in this part of the world. Had it been from a better known company heaps will be sold.

Perth

• 3 answers

Underrated vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2016

A brilliant people mover, l purchased a 2016 Stavic and cannot fualt it admittedly I have only travelled 3000 kilometres . It's quiet for a diesel with plenty of power. I only wish that it had a reversing camera built in. Seating 7 adults with real leg room and a boot, it still keeps surprising me a real pleasure to drive.

1 of 3 pages

2013-Present

We are looking at buying a 2013 Stavic with 2014 compliance plates. It is an ex rental. I've had it inspected and the gear select lockout is not working but the owner is going to replace it, it's actually already been ordered. My concern though, especially as it's a private sale and therefore has no warranty, is it likely to be the beginning of a string of things that need to be repaired or just a one off thing? I really need to make a decision today. It's all consuming and I've still got other things I need to concentrate on lol. Thanks

kaishra asked on Jun 28, 2018

Answer this

Hi kaisha. We bought a 2013 stavic 2.0 turbo diesel for 14k thst had traveled 73k with a 5000km warranty. Have put 7000kn on it 4 weeks no issue but i would ask for a racv green light inspection before you buy as thus insure tat it is road worthy and should dpot any problems also checck if it has been serviced every 15k as being diesel could have issues if not. Price is dependent on kms.

On the gear select give freeway ford a call in victoria as they seem to be straight shooters and up front on issues and can probably advise you.

Thanks Paul, I've had a prepurchase inspection done and it'll have a roadworthy done before I at for it. It has been serviced regularly, the car rental place it's coming from has its own mechanics. It's done 82324kms.

I'll give freeway a call tomorrow.
Lauren

Well the guy I was going to get the car from and I couldn't agree on a price, basically what he wanted was what I wanted to pay plus the cost of the part that needed to be replaced and then a bit so instead I've found a different one, still Stavic but its the SPR model, already has a tow bar and it's not white (thank goodness) and even though it's coming from interstate it's only gonna cost me about $200 extra than what the original one would have (cause I won't need to install a tow bar). Hopefully the dealer will call tomorrow and we can get it here asap.

Other than leather seats what's the difference between the base model and the SPR?

I have a static sometimes when I start it the 4wd light comes on I stop the engine for a minute sometimes it goes out but it can take quite a few times its annoying. Any ideas?

Barra asked on Jun 07, 2018

Hi,
Just bought a 2103 stavic and the air bag light came on took it back to the dealer who cleared the codes and it has not come back. Take it to a dealer who can check the computer codes and then advise.

2005-2013

Hello, I have a 2005 stavic 2.7l turbo diesel and I have just did the starter motor my question is does anyone know where the location of the starter motor is & is it hard to replace yourself?

Kathleen M asked on May 17, 2018

Answer this

you can download a service manual [1200 pages] for free . just google it it got every think to much at times .
check the battery charge . terminals on battery and starter motor .

See all 63 questions about SsangYong Stavic

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details