Excellent company

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2018

Have used State roads several times, excellent service very professional, and have a wealth of knowledge about cars, have saved me many $$$.buying the right car.

Thanks Wim and his amazing team.

Lee Cooper

booking number 267635 Not happy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2018

Absolute Shambles and I paid an extra $200 for the inspector to travel to Sale, Victoria to inspect a SL55 Mercedes after paying for 2 previous inspections that I have to admit I was happy with as the faults were pointed out. This was booking number 267635 and I was advised the car was sound and when it arrived flat battery and a specialist battery had to be ordered almost $500 and 2-week wait. We then found out the alternator needed replacing which was not cheap. Next, the radiator fan was not working and the reason the car was overheating again not cheap. Finally, the ABC Suspension fluid that is supposed to be green was a dark colour almost black and had to be replaced along with the filter and hose. So after paying over $1,200 for 3 inspections and a final bill around the $3,500 mark next week 3 months after buying the car, I might get to drive it for more than a few days. I am very disappointed and had these issues been pointed out I would not have purchased the car. How they cannot even pick up the ABC fluid again should be green, not the same colour as engine oils is nothing but utter incompetence.

Perth

• 2 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Really good and fast service - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

I initially went to use "Redbooks" but they could not give me any specifics, i wanted an inspection done on the same day i was calling (i called approx 8am).
Nevertheless i booked using their online system, and when i called to confirm they could not commit.
So i cancelled.
I stumbled on State Roads, they picked up the phone super quickly, when i asked for it to be done today, the guy laughed and said he will do his best. 1 minute on hold and he came back with a yes!
The inspector came out and did a full inspection, he then called me and gave me a comprehensive break down of what was good and bad about the car. I got the report through not more than 20 minutes after inspection done.
Very impressed.

• 1 comment

Excellent Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2018

Being concerned about a purchase of a luxury used vehicle I went on a search for an Inspection service with knowledgable seasoned inspectors. After much research and consultations Stateroads was a long way in front. I had my vehicle checked at Lorbek which came back with some minor issues in the report that were promptly repaired by the seller prior to delivery. Its a year on from the purchase and my vehicle has been faultless this whole time, even after covering some long distance interstate driving its exactly the car they described and has never let me down. Don't even waste your time with anyone else, thank me as I did the homework for all of you!

6 star service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2018

Very helpful team and quality checks made the service all the worthwhile. The whole process easy, only took a day turnaround and it was one less thing I needed to worry about as I purchased my new car. Thanks guys!

canberra

excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2018

Excellent service right on my budget. my car feels like a brand new without marking any noises or issues. highly recommend to any one.

Thoroughly recommended 9/1/2018

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2018

Thoroughly impressed with state roads inspections. I utilised their services for peace of mind purchasing a used 2015 Ford Ranger. I've been burned in the past so the fee ($339 - platinum) seemed insignificant for peace of mind over such a significant purchase. I've ridden motorbikes for 19 years but am utterly clueless about cars so I needed some experience and skill to offset that.

The booking staff made the service offered very clear and the inspector, Michael was thorough, conscientious, a great communicator, and clearly well versed in his chosen field. He took the time to address all of my concerns (there are some serious potential problems with the ranger but the indicators are obvious for the right eyes) and brought to my attention things I hadn't remotely noticed, and took the time to explain it in basic terms to a laymen with being condescending or patronising. Actually, he was pretty damn good (understatement) at dealing with my OCD paranoid self. Extremely impressed and would recommend 100%. I'll be using their services every time I buy a vehicle from now on.

Extremely happy with my purchase and feel very much at ease with my decision.

Incognito

Inspection missed obvious faults

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2018

Booked a State Roads inspection for an interstate purchase of a Lexus LX470 based on generally great google reviews. Paid just over $300 for a comprehensive inspection through the Melbourne office and the customer service upon booking and receiving the report was great, no complaints.
The report listed minor issues (most serious was a noisy power steering pump) so based on the report and phone call with the inspecting officer I went ahead with the purchase. Three hours after picking up the car I had a rear passengers side tyre blowout (Tyre shop told me the tyres were over 10 tears old and the cracks should have been obvious).
Next day the belt tensioner pulley seized resulting in a snapped water pump/power steering belt and a six hour sit by the highway - although the 'noisy power steering pump' vanished once a new tensioner was installed..
The rear tailgate has had a major impact resulting in a tear to the metal seam which wasn't picked up by the inspector. Rust along the top of the windscreen was missed (extremely obvious) and emissions hoses in the engine bay were not connected or split. The Oxygen sensors were faulty (leading to engine fault codes being generated and heavy fuel consumption (over 20 litres per hundred km))

Happy to provide photos to back up the claims - I never would have purchased this car had stateroads provided the "comprehensive" report I believed I was getting. Their warranty was useless too - only covers internally lubricated parts of the motor and had to be registered within 24 hours of the inspection which wasn't clearly disclosed on their website.

All in all a case of "caveat emptor", paying a premium may not always guarantee the most competent inspector is assigned - in this case resulting in significant out of pocket expenses.

Inspection number 267866.

Prompt Car Check

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2018

I am happy with the prompt check on a car I'm looking at buying. I spoke to the mechanic and he told me the issues that this vehicle has as minor as they are. So far it has been money well spent and i will be purchasing the car on what i have received and the personal chat with the mechanic who checked this car over. I would recommend State Roads to anyone looking at doing a check on a car in the future.

Money well spent!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2017

I had a great experience from start to finish, from the initial operators to the final report coming through. The findings were really helpful in renegotiating the final price of the car, which by the end of it actually got me more money off the car than I spent on the report, plus being well and truly informed! Thanks to my inspector John who did a fantastic thorough job. Would definitely use again and recommend, as was recommended to me!!

Absolute professionals and worth every penny

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2017

Layton who conducted the inspections and the office team based in Perth have helped me dodge 2 very bad purchases. I can’t thank the them enough for being so efficient and diligent. Perfect service! But Layton went above and beyond when he delayed a trip out of town to inspect a car for me at the last minute. Could ask for more

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2017

These guys are true proffessionals right from the initial enquiry to the end nothing was a problem, and Anthony whom inspected the car for me really knew his stuff.
Thanks again and will definately recommend you guys.

Can’t fault these guys.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

Thanks state roads for your professional service I just had a roadworthy done from my own mechanic and he found they same faults without showing him your report. He made the necessary repairs and this car now drives great and I am very happy. Best of all the seller paid for the repairs after showing him the report saving me $1600.
Thanks again Paul at stateroads Melbourne.

Peace of mind

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2017

State Roads takes the guess work out of it. Buying a car interstate was so easy and quick with these guys. Rarely do i write reviews however these guys are professional and have made this process fast and easy. I would highly recommend this service, as it will find issues and save you thousands post purchase.
Thank you State Roads. Best inspection programme in Australia.

Verified Customer

Initial professionalism and service offset by quality of inspection and follow up to issue

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2017

I have attempted to discuss this directly with State Roads however have not had a response therefore providing this information for others to note when considering State Roads.

We bought a car soon after a platinum inspection from State Roads which indicated nothing more than normal wear and tear for a car of 6 years old. Two weeks later we had the car serviced. During the service it became apparent that the alternator had previously caught fire and damaged the cooling system hoses directly above the alternator. There had been a fuel leak from the low pressure electric diesel pump which ran down the coolant hoses and dripped onto the alternator, catching alight when the alternator warmed up.

The mechanic confirmed this had been occurring over sometime (ie pre-inspection). There was clear bubbling in the coolant hose and if this had ruptured would have caused significant damage to the engine.

Within our inspection report the radiator hoses had been ticked off as satisfactory with no issues. I understand that oil/diesel leaks can be wiped away prior to inspection however the radiator/coolant hose bubbling (damage) would have been clearly visible with any considered inspection of the engine bay, given the hoses are the front of the bay visible without removing any casing.

The outcome was a repair bill of $900+ which (thankfully) was covered under the dealers statutory warranty.

I have contacted State Roads directly with this information and received no formal response to this issue.

The punctuality and professionalism pre and during inspection couldn't be faulted however the worth of their inspections and their response to issues i considered poor.

Did i get a "platinum" level of inspection? I don't think so.

BOOKING REFERENCE: 266907

Beechworth, Victoria

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Not Cheap but saved $$$$$ in long run

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2017

cost $340 but checked everything the information provided allowed me to make a decision Not to buy due to faults found by inspection report and buy phone call by mechanic who did the tests and was able to use language i could understand and answered all questions asked.Would use again and recommend

Melbourne

Private message

Re last previous review (disgusting)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

Re previous review.
This person Heather was selling her car and complained her car didn't sell due to our report saying the seats were stained and our photos supplied to our costumer were false. We found her add for sale on carpoint.com and her own photos in the add clearly show the drivers seat badly stained even after being already detailed. She was never abused and is making totally false claims and we suspect is possibly a setup by a opposition company. The evidence has now been collected and has been submitted to a legal firm to commence with civil legal proceedings and sue for false slander and damages to our companies reputation and possibly criminal charges.
Company director stateroads Melbourne...

Melbourne

Disgusting

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

When I raised an issue I was abused by the manager and he defended himself by saying I should be disgusted in myself by causing a problem for him.

Excellent Service & Professionalism

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2017

I have used State Roads over the past 6 years to inspect a multitude of vehicles located in Melbourne, Sydney, Grafton & Gold Coast. Each time the phone staff have been extremely helpful & knowledgeable about their services offered. Their inspectors are amazing. These guys are so professional & have helped me to steer clear from a number of bad choices. They always call after the inspection to give a clear verbal report of what they've seen & then follow up with an extremely detailed report accompanied by photos. I've had other cheaper providers inspect vehicles in a couple of remote areas but they've never ever been as thorough as State Roads. I'd be happy to recommend their service to anyone.

Sydney

Great Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2017

The service was great. The inspection report was detailed, and information provided by the officer was very helpful in making the decision.

1 of 2 pages