Model: WWK300AH Date Purchased: Jul 2008

Failed after 8 Years Throw in the Bin

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2017

Purchased 3 Heat Pumps in July 2008. I have had them running on a timer and all connected together..One had been running on for the last 12 to 18 months did not realise it was out of gas had the pump checked. Gas has leaked out around the tank somewhere. Have been informed to buy another one. Not sure I will buy another Stiebel.
Not very cost effective.The Pumps only run from 6am till 11pm each day in Winter and 6am till 1pm and back on again from 3pm till 11pm in Summer.The heat pumps are set up to store and back up hot water for a gas fired Boiler all has worked well? With one pump not working have not noticed any change in running cost as we run solar.

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Great product

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

Got mine about the 6 years ago under a government incentive program in SA. They can be a little noisy due to fan running but isnt too bad, they will run longer in cold weather.....i have a smart meter which allows me to boost during the day when ambient temps are higher. Have not had a problem with support from company as i rang them because i had concern with pressure relif valve opening a little, they sent a new valve which i havent replaced yet as i havent got around to it. Not an issue really. Temps do get down to minus 2 where i live during winter.....my brother has one as well and we are both happy. Overall a very good system.

Sydney

Verified Purchase Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Poor product, poor service, major disappointment with a German product.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2017

Failed after 4 years and 5 months use. We live close to the Pacific Ocean. I don’t know if this is a factor, though the product was corroding. Their sub-contractor visited us (after we had to “chase him up" as he hadn’t returned our calls) but his attitude led me to ask him to leave before he had diagnosed the cause of failure.
He was abrupt at the door. He complained that this was not an emergency (I told him I never said it was).
I called SE to enquire about how to check the sacrifical anode (while the machine was open - what better time?, not to mention it may be relevant), because 1. the repair-man said it was not his job and 2. the manual has a boxed-warning: “ Triangle! PLEASE NOTE: “The sacrifial anode must be checked by a qualified contractor 12 months after the unit has been installed and checked periodically thereafter as advised by the qualified contractor. Failure to do so may void your warranty.”- page 4 of "Operation & Installation”. However, the SE phone consultant told me the sacrifical anode would absolutely not be the cause of the fault and point-blank refused to instruct the serviceman how to check it, despite my mentioning the manual’s warning. He asked me to call him back once the fault was found. But the serviceman complained that “you got on the blower ... before I had even looked at it”. I don’t know if it was because he was tired (he stated he was the only one capable of looking at it for a 50 km radius in Sydney), or because he was unwell (he said he had the flu) or because of communication issues, but he just completely misconstrued the purpose of my call. Having damaged my wall adjacent to the machine removing the lid (and distorting the cylinder) (and then saying its OK because it was hidden), I asked the serviceman to leave. Of course he was upset and gave me wishes of good-luck finding someone to fix it now as there was only him. I spoke then to the SE office phone consultant - his solution was to call the serviceman and apologise (!, needless to say) - “He’s the only one in Sydney who can fix it”.
That was my last contact with Stiebel Eltron’s Sydney Office. I was flabbergasted that a German Company can have such non-competent staff. Of course we are not in Germany, so any German quality product is only as good as its weakest link - the Australian final mile. I was contemplating calling the German Office, or the CEO and having my wife, who is from Bavaria and a Scientist, speak to him (or her).
But my wife, within 2 hours, had another technician at our home. The unit had corroded and was unsalvageable.
So!...sacrificial anode being the issue or not - we never found out - my wife and I decided to completely forget Stiebel and their Australian Operation, and purchase a new unit from a different company - a Japanese one - a Sanden Eco. Time will tell of course, but unlike the Stiebel, this is as silent as can be, has a stainless-steel non-rust tank, comes with a much longer warranty, and has no sacrificial anode to check. Only maintenance it needs is letting off the built-up gas pressure every few months.
We don’t care about the money in this case - that’s how bad Stiebel’s Australian Operations is. We want nothing more to do with them. I’m tempted now to give them just one star, but I think the actual product is not really that bad as until the end, apart from some noise, we were quite happy with it. But it didn’t end well.

• 4 helpful votes

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: May 2012

Expensive, noisy, does not provide value for purchase price.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2017

My heat pump died in October 2015 after 3 years 5 months of annoyingly noisy service. It was out of warranty of course but the real killer is that there was no service available to repair it - even the fellow recommended by Stiebel Eltron refused to work on it. I decided to write this review because I heard someone talking up heat pumps elsewhere. This is the issue though: They are expensive to buy and have a limited lifespan, and though they do reduce your power bills, they don't reduce them enough to justify their purchase price when you take into consideration that they break down, and that repairs are either costly or, in my case, impossible to obtain. These things ought to be under a 10 year warranty throughout, or not sold at all. Avoid. p.s. I second other people's comments that these units are disturbingly noisy. I was told it would sound "like a refrigerator". It sounds like about ten refrigerators.

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Great customer service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2017

I wrote the previous review 'Not Happy Jan' but now must retract some of my sentiment as the supplier in Melbourne backed up the warranty even though it was a month out and has just replaced the unit. The tradesman who turned up was polite, informative, skilled and helpful. I couldn't be more happy. The heat pump is producing steaming hot water, the unit is quieter and its no more cold showers for me! Thankyou!

Purchased at: Enter

• 14 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Purchased 2 units and both work just fine.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2016

One unit has been in operation for one year, the other for 3 years. I have them indoors (laundry and garage) where you can hardly hear them but where they are protected from the elements. They are on a timer to come on when we are usually out. The water is always hot and it uses very little electricity (about 50 cents a day). They have never missed a beat. One replaced a useless Solar HWS which cost over $4000 and never worked. After that company went belly up I switched to Stiebel Eltron and so far I'm very pleased with their product.

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Jul 2010

Stiebel WWK300AH - a lemon

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2016

I had my Stiebel WWK300AH about 6 years. After 1 year, the valves leaked and was replaced at no cost. Then 2 years later the thermostats failed to switch off when the water hot. The electricity bill costed me $200 for the quarter. It was then fixed with the cost of $264 even though the thermostats were provided free by Stiebel. Then when it just past the warranty period of 5 years by one month, the outlet get rotten and leak. It costed me $400 to temporary fix and Stiebel refused to pay for that or a replacement. Very disappointed with the so called "German Engineering". We paid a hefty premium for the well-known "German Engineering". I don't believe it was made by German. Very disappointed with the treatment by Stiebel when it past the warranty by merely a month or so.
Now, when it starts heating, it makes sound like 2 stroke engine for about 10/15 minutes. I just wait for it to die so to buy different brand. That day is not far away from now.

Coffs Harbour

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Heap of Junk

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2016

We purchased a WWK300A approximately 6 years ago. Our first 12 months the product had to be replaced as it stopped working. In the past 5 years of I've had banana coast look at the tank each winter as something always goes wrong with it. If I'm been honest this product is a pile of junk the worst hot water system I've ever had i would not recommend your product to any one and after reading the reviews prior to today i would of never purchased the unit. I will be forwarding this complaint to the ACCC as I'm surprised this product has not been discontinued.

Tomorrow i will be back on the phone to banana coast to get them out and have another look at the system second time in 12 weeks. Yes I'm frustrated and unhappy due to the price you pay for a system you expect it to work but it has continually failed.

SYDNEY

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Aug 2009

WHAT AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2016

In August 2009 I purchased a new STIEBEL ELTRON WWK300A in line with the then misguided NSW Govt emphasis on Energy Conservation. The installed unit cost $4,420 all up. We recieved a Rebate from the Govt of $1,050 so the initial cost was $3370. 2 years later we had to shell out another $445.50 to have the fan replaced. Over the last 6 months to date the Hot Water has been getting cooler and cooler until finally it went stone cold. As suspected when the Technician came out = "You have a Gas Leak!!" and it will be another $900 to fix this as well as the compressor is on the way out and that will be another $500. I decided that the best place for this 7 year old heap of crap would be the tip and had a new RHEEM HWS installed and running in 1/2 day.
My advice is if you think you are doing the environment a favour by shelling out huge bucks for a STIEBEL then think again !! It will cost you dearly and will only last 7 years.

• 3 helpful votes

5 years of hassles

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2016

At least once a year we have to call a technician in to sort out our 2 x heat pumps. Unacceptable!!! We now once again have no hot water and we have 2 huge heat pumps. Ultra rubbish. I would like someone from Stiebel Eltron to come and fix or remove these heat pumps.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear Minky, We are very sorry for the hassles. We would like to help you as soon as possible. Therefore, could you please send your contact details to [email protected] so that our service de... read more »

Cairns

7 Year Failure

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2016

It appears that 7 Years is the limit of these units.
Same problem in most of post's i have read, the Technician Stiebel Eltron advised me to use told me that it had a Gas Leak and was irreparable due to Incorrect installation and Suggested Replacing the unit.
This advise cost me a Total of $467.50.

Faulty after 6 months now failed again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2016

Unit failed after 6 months and now has failed again after 7 years .For this expensive item this is inexcusable ,I presume no warranty now applies. The Technician has said the gas has all leaked out and now I am without hot water in a family of four, who do I contact.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear Gonzo, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please contact our service technician Trent on 1800 153 135 or send a message to [email protected] including your contact details ... read more »

Technician said the rain had got to the aluminium coil around the cylinder and corroded it. Later models have closed up this path around the insulation, but mine is in the dump.

Wellington

• 7 comments

Frequent failures a disappointment

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2016

The product heats water as promised. But fails often... and I mean OFTEN.

We've had it less than 6 years, and we're on our 5th failure. Total time without hot water is close to 3 months.

Service... fair credit: OK they've been good... great in fact. But in truth, nobody wants good service. They want a reliable unit that didn't require good service. We paid a very hefty premium for what we thought was the reliability of "German engineered" cylinder, and we very definitely did not get that. It's made in China folks. I *know* China is capable of producing high quality goods, but improved quality clearly wasn't the reason Stiebel shifted there... they were following the other path.

The helpful service keeps me going. But one day, it will have failed for the last time. The (new) local agent has assured me newer units were redesigned to be better. That doesn't help tonight. And without genuine firm evidence... the replacement cylinder won't be a Stiebel.

EcoSpring has a good name here... established, with units older than mine working without complaint. Clever people learn from history.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear mike.of.NZ, I have talked to our Managing Director in NZ who has been in contact with you. We are very sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing with our hot water heat pump. ... read more »

Your immediate and direct involvement is encouraging. We will see how it all works out. The thermostat send down by Stiebel NZ got the compressor running again... but there is still no hot water, ... read more »

Final result: the cylinder is dead, after less than 6 years. Replacing the thermostat exposed the real problem: the refrigerant had all leaked out. The cost of repair is beyond contemplating. Se... read more »

Model: WWK300AH

Fail just out of Warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2016

Made the expensive move to a heat pump. Initially was happy, although the unit broke down at about the 18 month mark, warranty service just reset switch, without searching for tty h r reason. About 12 months after 5 year tank warranty ended, the unit failed completely (internal gas leak) Too expensive a purchase to only last 6 years.

Verified Purchase Model: WWK300A

Good water heater but exceptionally good service by the company

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2016

I replaced a worn out heat pump with the Steibel Eltron system. After a few months I reported to the vendor that it had a valve leaking and I initially thought I had bought a dud. But the vendor passed the issue directly to Stiebel Eltron who accepted full responsibility, contacted me directly and had it fixed in no time. It required two trips by their nominated plumber but at no point did I feel that they would not fix it. An excellent water heater now it has the correct valves fitted. I have never had such good service from a manufacturer. There was no arguing - just plain good old fashioned follow up service. Thanks Stiebel Eltron, not only for the good water heater but especially for the excellent customer service and follow up. And I love it that it so much quieter than my previous heat pump that made a racket.

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Hello Jo B, Thank you for taking the time to review our heat pump. It is great to hear that you experienced such good service from our customer service team. We will pass on your feedback to them.

Austins Ferry

Model: WWK300A

Six years and it's dead!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2016

My unit seemed to run all night in winter and sometimes all day but at least it gave us hot water. The first problem was after 18 months when the PTR valve had to be replaced at a cost of about $200. I was present when it was replaced and I could see thick rust inside the socket where the valve screws. The 3/4" hole was almost blocked with rust from the socket which was not coated with anything. We had a look inside the tank with a flexible camera and there was quite a few rusty areas there. It was obvious that the rust was contaminating the valve seat and causing early failure. I spoke to the people who sold me the unit and I was referred on to Stiebel Eltron head office. I was told by them that it was RMC part, not Stiebel and I should flush the tank because it must have dirt in it. When I mentioned the rust, he said the anode should protect it. To date it hasn't been protecting too well, and about every year I've had to replace the PTR valve and the rust inside the socket had returned each time. Whenever you exercise the valve, heaps of rust comes out with the water. Now the compressor and fan are running non-stop and it's not heating at all. My guess is the gas has leaked out somewhere, possibly through a rust hole. I haven't had anyone look at it yet but I guess it will be a waste of money anyhow. I think I'll just hurl it and it will be a lesson learnt!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Hello Rogerfl, Can you please contact our National Service Manager so we can find out more details about your heat pump. Please call 1800 153 351 at your earliest convenience.

Model: WWK300AH

Good performance but short life span for price.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2015

Cost $3500 and lasted only 5 months past 5 year warranty. At the time of purchase the sales person claimed there was a 10 year replacement warranty, when it failed after 5.5 years, I contacted local supplier who denied he had said that. The 5yr warranty was confirmed by SE after I contacted them. I would never have paid so much for a product with a 5 yr warranty, considering normal hot water systems usually last much longer (we replaced a traditional unit that was 19 years old). After paying $200 to get it assessed by first a plumber and then a refrigeration technician I was told it was not worth repairing. The refrigeration technician contacted SE who offered to sell me another unit at a slightly lower cost than new. Is this their scheme? I feel that the product should have lasted longer for the price. I do feel a bit ripped off and very disappointed. It has also come at a time when we are unfortunately reduced to one income and cannot afford a new system. I am out to buy solar camping showers tomorrow.........

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Hello Gabbi, Our National Service Manager would like to discuss your heat pump further with you. Could you please contact us on 1800 153 351.

Plettenberg Bay

WWK300AH - South African experience

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

I did plenty of research too This is an expense piece of kit It does work well, back of garage, but would be noisy outside At 4 years compressor failure It's Mitsibushi part These are supposed to be bomb proof but no refrigerant This pump does not have low refrigerant cut out That's because it's a "cut down"& cut price pump Part easily available but total bill with labour $Aus equivalent 456.00 Let's face it this pump/geyser would take 15 years to pay back, makes you feel good - but will I live that long ! In UK S-E provide extended warrantees - I think you need one with this pump

TWO WELLS

• 3 helpful votes

Model: WWK300A

Never was fixed properly from installation

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2015

I was talked into a wwk330A in 2009 and had problems from day one. The first was leaks which the installer came back out and told me he fixed it only to be called back the next day because still leaking. Then the noise , it is loud and continuous (this noise has been constant and still is!!!!)but was told by Steibel that is all OK that's what they do. It has never been really hot , told that's what the thermostat is set too. NOW I have luke warm water and no money to even get someone to look at it as it. I would not recommend this product and I am not looking forward to the cold showers or boiling the kettle.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Hello Not Happy, Our National Service Manager would love to hear more about the concerns you have about the heat pump. Please call our National Service Manager on 1800 153 351. We look forward to hearing from you.

I did ring that number and was basically told ,too bad the warranty is up , here is the number for the plumber we recommend. Well rang your recommended plumber and he wanted $200 just to come a... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Let down by faulty unit

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2015

We are distraught - our Stiebel Eltron model WWK300A Heat Pump has lasted just 6 months past the 5 year warranty! After researching the brand - recommended by a local supplier we expected to have at least 15 years service from the unit. The company offered a new unit at a discounted price taking into consideration the six months out of warranty time, but we then had the associated costs of installation and the fear of a repeat of the same problem. We have lost confidence in the brand. The Stiebel Eltron company affirmation on the brochure is "so far ahead, it's in a class of its own, proven superior German technology, reliability & efficiency".
We have spoken with the National Manager.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Hello Shirley, Thank you for your review on the heat pump. We appreciate your feedback on your experience with the product and will pass on your comments to our product development division in Ge... read more »

1 of 5 pages